Closed So We Wander // So Who Knows

Sophia and Kamilla meet

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Syka is a new settlement of primarily humans on the east coast of Falyndar opposite of Riverfall on The Suvan Sea. [Syka Codex]

Moderator: Gossamer

So We Wander // So Who Knows

Postby Sophia Sunshore on May 1st, 2019, 5:49 pm

42, Spring, 519 a.v.

Midday was approaching, Syna's orb rising higher and higher into the endless expanse of blue that stretched over Syka. The day was warm but not unbearably so, at least to those accustomed to the more tropical climate of the island. Sophia Sunshore was one such resident and, true to her name, relished the golden heat that blanketed her skin.
On this particular day, the young woman was seated on her very own part of the beach, bare toes dug into the warm sand. She was working on what would be the first part of an experiment involving various herbs and plants, the idea having popped into her head on her most recent visit to Uta’s collection that the botanist stored in a cave near her home.

Sophia had always had a fondness for plants, however since arriving on Syka a few seasons prior that had developed into something more, and now the Svefra was intent on learning anything and everything she could about how to actually use the plants she loved so much. One such use was teas, and that was the basis for this particular experiment.

In front of where she was sat Sophia had laid out a few short boards, some pretty hefty stones, sheets of paper and an assortment of fresh herbs. She placed sheets of the paper along one board and gathered up some sprigs of lavender. These were then arranged onto the paper carefully so that none of them overlapped and another sheet of paper was placed on top of these. Sophia laid a board on top, sandwiching the lavender and paper and then placed a few stones on for good measure.

She scrutinised her handiwork for a moment before nodding to herself and grabbing a journal from the sand next to her.
Herb drying trial. Potential for making tea that can be stored?
Press between paper and planks with added stones in the midday sun.
- 12 sprigs of lavender.

Sophia then set about repeating her makeshift press, laying down another plank and some paper. This time she was using lemon balm, and she started to hum to herself as she plucked the lemony-scented leaves off the stems she had gathered. Occasionally her gaze would lift and watch the sea for a moment as she looked for her Tavan, Pearl, but otherwise the young woman was engrossed in her work, excited at the prospect of creating something new.
NOTE: During the Fall Sophia is a Dhani, specifically a golden eyelash viper. See here for more detailed info.
Sophia Sunshore
Plant Lady

Words: 193757
Joined roleplay: July 5th, 2018, 5:26 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Character (1)

Postby Kamilla on May 2nd, 2019, 3:40 pm

Kamilla Circe Gordon

Another awfully sunny day in Syka and Kamilla had, by now, given up on ever feeling reasonably cool again. The mage had been in the settlement for half a season and had not experienced a single day that lacked the seemingly constant Sykan heat, to the point that she was beginning to think she was growing accustomed to it. Her usually slightly tan skin had deepened in color, now more golden brown than she’d ever seen it, which would not be so bad if it didn’t make the fading bruises on her exposed skin, that much easier to spot.

Kamilla had long since given up on trying to hide the purple marks, which were almost healed by now, in favor of exposing more skin to save herself the torture of overheating. She wore a long purple scarf, wrapped around her busy several times and revealing most of her upper body, while a short black skirt with a flowing lace tail and thigh high boots were worn on her lower body. She was sure that her appearance was drawing more attention than usual nowadays, a thin bandage on her right upper arm, light bruises across her shoulders and arms and a larger bandage around her right thigh. She must have looked quite beaten.

While the mage had accepted that there was nothing she could do about the bandages, especially the one covering the bite wound on her thigh, she had decided to try and speed up the fading process of her bruises, tired of having large visible patches of slightly darkened skin. She even knew it how she would accomplish it, by applying more of that wonderful aloe very gel into them, at least she assumed that was how it worked. The problem was that she had no idea where the botanist, Uta, had found the odd looking plant and she was certainly not keen on returning to the jungle after her last experience.

With no other option than actually finding and asking Uta herself for help, Kamilla was forced to give up on her aloe hunt, at least for the time being. Instead, the mage found herself making her way across the beaches of Syka in the direction of the commons, carrying her bag containing her sewing kit in hopes of finding some work there.

As she marched across the even terrain, Kamilla spotted someone seated in the sand, while not at all an unusual sight in Syka, she couldn’t help but keep her gaze focused on the lone person, curious as to what they were doing. As she drew nearer, adjusting her direction so that she would pass nearby the stranger, Kamilla began to pick up a few details. Firstly, she was a woman, blonde, that much was obvious. The woman seemed to be placing what looked like plants between paper and then under boards? The activity didn’t make sense to her, it seemed like the kind of thing a playful child would do even though there was no actual purpose, or so she thought. It was only when she saw the blonde woman clearly taking notes on whatever she was doing that Kamilla’s interest was truly caught.

The blonde seemed to be doing some sort of work with plants, putting down her notes and beginning to pluck leaves from their branches. ”Hello... do you mind if I ask what you’re doing?” Kamilla had barely arrived at the blonde’s location when the words had left her mouth, always to the point as her steps came to a halt in front of the woman and her makeshift work station.

Her voice was at least, somewhat, polite, though she made her curiosity no secret.

Kamilla
Magical Mistress

Words: 592212
Joined roleplay: November 16th, 2014, 5:52 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
Syka Seasonal Challenge (1)

Postby Sophia Sunshore on May 3rd, 2019, 10:07 pm

As Sophia worked, her mind wandered off into thoughts of the future. She had been speaking at length with Uta recently about what the future might hold for Sophia. She was still working and studying under the botanist, but the day would come when she would be ready to start something of her own.
The idea of creating things for people to use out of the plants she had been learning about was exciting to the Svefra so she thought she might open a small shop. Of course, she needed to learn a few more things before that day, but it didn’t hurt to experiment in the meantime. Teas were something she was getting quite good at brewing, with different plants giving a different effect and taste. How useful it would be to have them dried and easy to transport!

Her racing mind was brought back to the present when female voice rang in her ears, a shadow falling over the sand next to her. Sophia turned her head to see who it was, her eyes first falling on a distinctly non-summer appropriate pair of tall boots. Who on earth can bear to wear those on a day like today?

Occupying those boots was a young woman, with long dark hair framing a pretty face. Sophia squinted up at her, trying and failing to put a name to the newcomer. It would appear that either she had been holed up at Uta’s for far too long, or a boat had recently docked bringing some new inhabitants with it. Or perhaps it was a little of both. Uta had been working Sophia hard recently, for Summer was an incredibly abundant season in Syka.

Sophia offered the woman a bright smile before answering her query. “Of course not! I’m drying some herbs in the hopes that I can make them into storable tea.” She looked back at where the lemon balm was waiting to be pressed and reached for another board to lay on top. “It looks a bit odd, but Uta has assured me it will work.” She manoeuvred a couple of the larger stones onto the board, before standing so she could introduce herself properly, bare feet sinking into the sand a little.

“My name is Sophia, I don’t believe I’ve seen you around before?” She smiled again, eyes taking in some more details she had missed before. An almost imperceptible frown wound its way over her forehead she took in the bruises that dotted the woman’s shoulders and arms, a couple of bandages standing out against her tan skin. “Are… you okay?” She made a point of darting her gaze to the bandage wrapping the strangers upper arm as she spoke.
"I mean, I can see you're obviously hurt, have you found the Panacea yet?" Sophia caught herself then, remembering that not everyone was quite as willing to share personal stories as she. "Sorry, I don't mean to pry! I just... couldn't help but notice."
NOTE: During the Fall Sophia is a Dhani, specifically a golden eyelash viper. See here for more detailed info.
Sophia Sunshore
Plant Lady

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Character (1)

Postby Kamilla on May 3rd, 2019, 11:08 pm

Kamilla Circe Gordon

Deep brown eyes watched the blonde expectantly as Kamilla awaited the women’s response, receiving a bright smile for a greeting once their gazes met. The blonde, it seemed, had no qualms sharing her activities with a complete stranger as she went on to explain that she was attempting something with herbs.

The young woman then rose to her feet, her height matching Kamilla’s as the mage took the opportunity to take in the blonde’s features. Blue eyes, blonde hair, sunny disposition. The two women contrasted each other in appearance and Kamilla was already certain that the woman was a Svefra, her appearance quite similar to Finn.

The blonde wasn’t wrong, it did look odd, but Kamilla would keep that unnecessary option to herself. For the most part, her curiosity had been quelled and she was ready to get on with her day again, until the blonde mentioned the botanist, Uta, the mage’s brow raising in interest. ”Uta?” She began, stopping herself to receive the blonde’s introduction.

It wasn’t difficult for Kamilla to see the signs of what would come next; the blonde’s blue eyes lingering on patches of bruised or injured skin, a frown playing at her features. The mage couldn’t help but sigh, it was understandable, she supposed. It certainly wasn’t the first time that a resident of Syka had shown concern, unwelcome as it was.

”Yes, I’m fine, I assure you. My injuries appear worse than they are.” She began, a hand waving off the very idea that she was anything but okay, even as the dull pain in her injured leg flared at not being acknowledged. ”But yes, I’m new to Syka... Kamilla.” She managed to muster a small smile, hopefully it would be enough to come off as friendly.

”So, you mentioned Uta?” Not one to beat around the bush, Kamilla was already back onto the topic that most interested her st the moment, eyeing the boards of herbs before returning her gaze to the blonde, Sophia’s. ”I made a dress for her a few days ago. How do you know her?... If you don’t mind me asking?” The last bit was tagged on as an afterthought in an attempted to not seen too forceful, something Kamilla had trouble with since her time on Sahova. Regular people were far too concerned with trivial things like niceties, though the mage certainly preferred it to the condescending attitudes of the nuit.

Kamilla
Magical Mistress

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Sophia Sunshore on May 4th, 2019, 4:32 pm

Sophia was quite oblivious to the keen surprise that flickered across the stranger’s face at the mention of Syka’s resident botanist, more focused was she on making sure her boards were lined up properly so she wouldn’t trip over them on her return home later in the day. She did return her gaze to that of the other woman in time to see her shoulders rise almost imperceptibly with a sigh, no doubt in response to Sophia’s nosey query.

She was about to apologise again, when her fellow waved a hand in nonchalance, assuring Sophia that she was fine. The Svefra resisted raising an eyebrow, for the bandages would lead her to believe that whatever they were covering was probably not particularly comfortable. But she held her tongue, assuming that the woman had had enough of Syka’s residents asking after her health. They were a friendly bunch here, everyone looked out for each other and no request ever seemed to be too small.

“Kamilla, good to meet you.” A smile finally found its way onto the other woman’s face, and Sophia’s lit up again in return. Before she could ask any more questions, she was met with one of her own to answer. She nodded, blonde locks falling over her shoulders.
“Oh, that was you!” Sophia paused to cast her mind back to the last time she had been over at Uta’s Place. The botanist had mentioned that she had commissioned a new dress and Sophia had badgered her to wear it to the party she was planning for her birthday later in the season. Perhaps the woman might make Sophia one too? She’d definitely have to ask.

Realising she had paused for far too long to be polite, she quickly returned her thoughts to the present, smiling again at the expectant face of Kamilla. “Sorry! Yes, Uta, I work with her. Or I suppose you might call me an assistant of sorts. I help her catalogue and organise all the plant life that grows here.”

“Were you looking for her? She is really happy with the dress if that’s what you want to know! Here, I can show you where her place is if you want?” Sophia made to move off up to the main path. She paused just past Kamilla and looked back at her. “Unless you need some help with some plant life? I might be able to give you a hand if you like?”
Sophia Sunshore
Plant Lady

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Character (1)

Postby Kamilla on May 5th, 2019, 10:09 am

Kamilla Circe Gordon

Kamilla was somewhat surprised by the blonde’s recognition when she’d mentioned making Uta’s dress. Had she seen it? Did she like it? It didn’t really matter, at least that was what she told herself. Regardless, it seemed that her work was at least getting some publicity, which would only be good for business. Honestly, Kamilla was surprised by how much she’d enjoyed making the dress, despite it being her first attempt.

Clothing aside, the blonde went on to explain exactly how she knew Uta, claiming to be an associate or rather assistant to the local botanist. This further increased Kamilla’s interest in the woman. If she worked with Uta, she must have known at least a bit about the plant life in Syka, meaning there was a chance she’d know where to find the Aloe Vera plant needed for her bruise.

Kamilla turned the idea over in her head for a moment, about to ask the woman what she knew of the spiky thick plant, but the blonde beat her to it. Sophia seemed more than willing to offer Kamilla some assistance in her particular field, something that widened the mage’s faint smile.

”I’m glad she likes the dress... it was actually my first attempt at making one... but there’s no need to point me to her home, I don’t think.” While she supposed that would be the more reliable option, Kamilla didn’t doubt that Uta was busy with her own work for the day and she thought she’d at least try and ask the friendly blonde for some help.

”I was just asking because she gave me this wonderful plant a few days ago, Aloe Vera? It did wonders for my, uh, bruises and I was just curious about where I could find more. Do you perhaps know?” Sophia had offered to try and help, after all, so Kamilla didn’t feel as if she were intruding.

Kamilla
Magical Mistress

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Sophia Sunshore on May 5th, 2019, 5:47 pm

Pleasant surprise lit Sophia’s features before they settled back into her usual warm smile. “That was your first dress? It’s really lovely, you’re a good seamstress!” The Svefra made a firm mental note to ask Kamilla if she would make one for her too. She definitely needed something new to wear to the party she had yet to plan.

She met the woman’s gaze again in time to see her smile widen just a little. Sophia waved her arm by way of direction up the path she was standing next to, away from the the City Core. “Well if you ever do need to find her she’s that way. If you reach the pool you’ve gone too far.” She quietened again to hear the tentative request for information about a certain plant, and in response she nodded perhaps a little too enthusiastically. But hey, it wasn’t often she got to talk about the plant life here with anyone other than the botanist.

“Sure I know aloe vera. It’s pretty distinctive.” She paused again for a moment while the rest of the brunette’s words sunk in. Kamilla needed aloe vera to treat bruises that weren’t bothering her? Her eyes briefly flicked back to where the marks dotted the woman’s skin. Of course, it was not Sophia’s business unless Kamilla decided she wanted it to be, so she simply reverted to another smile.

“Here come with me, I’ll take you to some places where we will be more likely to find it.” The Svefra paused, contemplating and then deciding against collecting a pair of shoes, and gave her drying herbs a quick glance to make sure everything was as it should be. She then started to move off in the direction of the City Core, looking round to make sure Kamilla had decided to follow her.

“So aloe, I imagine you will be pleased to know, is not found in the jungle. It hates to be in the dark and it also hates to be really wet.”
She gestured vaguely to their immediate surroundings before continuing. “Out here the conditions are much better for it, lots of dry sunshine. It’s actually one of the plants I have been meaning to try and get into a pot to keep - Uta has one and they’re such amazing things. You know when your skin goes really pink when you’ve been in the sun for way too long?” She looked over at Kamilla for some sort of acknowledgement. “It really helps with that too.”

Sophia kept a modest pace, eyes scanning the area for the tell-tale spikes of the aloe plant. “I guess you know what it looks like already, did Uta give you one spike? The full plant will have lots coming up from one base and they can be pretty large so we should see it quite easily. It’ll probably be around the beach rather than the path.”

After a couple more chimes of walking and not spotting the plant yet, Sophia ventured a question towards the other woman. “Where did you come to Syka from? If you don’t mind my asking, that is.” She smiled again to show it was simply a friendly question, hoping that Kamilla wouldn’t see her as nosey. In reality, Sophia just like to know people and hear their stories, something left over from her time aboard the Svefran ships.
Sophia Sunshore
Plant Lady

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Character (1)

Postby Kamilla on May 6th, 2019, 12:25 am

Kamilla Circe Gordon

Kamilla appreciated the blonde pointing out the direction of Uta’s home, she assumed, in addition to agreeing to help her find some more of the unusual plant. Had she been back on Sahova, Kamilla would have been very skeptical of the offering of so much without any reciprocation in sight, if she was being honest she was a bit. It had been years since she’d been on The Undead Isle where nothing was free, but it still clung to her in both memory and habit.

”Yeah it is...” Kamilla began, allowing the blonde woman, Sophia, to lead the conversation and the search, while she observed and followed. After all, by the sounds of it, the blonde knew what she was doing. More or less.

The friendly blonde spoke quite a bit, all on just the topic of Aloe Vera, but Kamilla didn’t mind, the mage taking mental notes of everything she said about the unusual plant so that she wouldn’t need help the next time she went in search of the interesting plant.

As the blonde continued to speak and walk, so too did Kamilla continue to listen and follow, until Sophia directed a question at her. ”Yes, just one.” She wished that she’d been given more the moment the fleshy plant had run dry of its gel. Thankfully, her short answer seemed enough to satisfy Sophia who continued to do most of the talking. Kamilla boring her description of the plant and how it grew.

The two of them walked around in search for the aloe, skirting along the part of the beach that bordered the forest with no success before Sophia eventually turned another question on her, a small sneaking its way onto the mage’s face.

”That depends...” She began, strolling as casually after the blonde as the sandy terrain would allow. ”If you’re asking about the city I hail from, that would be Zeltiva.” Not entirely true, but it was what she preferred people think. ”But if you’re asking where was before Syka? Riverfall.” All three cities were great distances apart, Kamilla was just grateful that sailing with Finn had been far more bearable than the time travelling to Riverfall by land. ”What about you, Sophia?” Kamilla was curious to see if she’d been right in assuming the blonde was a Svefra.

Kamilla
Magical Mistress

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Sophia Sunshore on May 9th, 2019, 8:53 am

Sophia kept her gaze sweeping across the path before them, the spikes of the aloe vera remaining elusive to the pair of women. Occasionally she would glance over at the brunette to gauge a reaction, but Kamilla was proving hard to read. It was almost as if she were holding something back, keeping herself to herself, even in company. Perhaps she was not used to people being quite so enthusiastic and chatty as Sophia was.

“It dries out quite fast here doesn’t it.”
Even if a person didn’t use up all the gel from inside one spike, the intense heat the settlement enjoyed would usually quickly dry out the rest. “I wonder if I could make it into some sort of balm? Something that would last for a lot more time…” The comment was mostly an idle thought, but she spoke it aloud anyway. Sophia was always trying to find other uses for the plants Uta was teaching her about.

The women were approaching the City Core now, so Sophia subtly changed their direction so they would be walking more across the sandy beaches rather than the path. She knew from her recent trips over here that there weren’t any of the plants, but she hadn’t really ever been down onto the beach in this area.

The Svefra turned her attention to Kamilla, listening attentively as she answered the question Sophia had put to her. Zeltiva was a place Sophia had only heard of in passing, and curiosity flickered in her eyes. She smiled at the familiarity of Riverfall, most people had come to the island from the city of Akalaks. “Oh I came over from Riverfall too, it’s a lovely place isn’t it? Were you there for long?” She paused for a moment to let Kamilla respond.

“Before Riverfall I didn’t live in any one place. I was born on the sea.” She grinned and motioned to her head, meaning to indicate her blue eyes. “I’m one of the Svefra, if you hadn’t guessed already.” Technically Sophia was only half-Svefra, but only in her blood. Her entire life had been Svefran through and through. It definitely explained Sophia’s breezy nature and willingness to smile.

Something down the beach caught her attention, and she squinted ahead. “Ah, I think I have just found what we’re looking for! Come on.” She made her way easily across the sand, bare feet sinking into the warm, scratchy surface. Sure enough, there was an aloe plant growing near a couple of large rocks partway down the beach. It was a fairly large specimen and she crouched to examine it. Near the base of the plant a few miniature ones had popped up in the sand, tiny replicas of the mother plant. She pointed them out to Kamilla. “Look at these, Uta calls them ‘pups’.” Sophia chuckled at the name. “They’re how the main plant reproduces. Help yourself from the main stem - do you need a knife?” She’d offer a small knife from a pouch at her waist if Kamilla asked. “I’m going to take a pup home, I think.”

Sophia started to move some of the sand away from one of the pup plants. “So, what is Zeltiva like?” She’d never met anyone from the city before and she hoped Kamilla might be feeling more up to sharing stories or information after their walk. “I’ve never been there and only really know the name.” She smiled at the brunette. “I’ve heard it’s a city to go to for learning?”.
Sophia Sunshore
Plant Lady

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Character (1)

Postby Kamilla on May 9th, 2019, 5:50 pm

Kamilla Circe Gordon

Kamilla continued to follow behind the blonde woman, remaining silent for the most part, until she felt she needed to contribute to the interaction in some way to appease her company. Not that she wasn’t interested in the conversation, Sophia’s idea of making a longer lasting balm out of the aloe had her intrigued, brow raising in interest. In the back of her mind, the mage wondered how something like that could be accomplished.

Noticing where they were headed, Kamilla was relieved when the blonde made a sudden turn, changing their route, while she hadn’t ever looked for it before, Kamilla felt somewhat certain that she hadn’t noticed any aloe Vera plants near the city core. Instead, it seemed they were headed towards a farther end of the beach, cursing their departure from the path in the back of her mind. While her thigh had mostly recovered, extended periods of walking across the uneven sandy terrain was not ideal. Already she could feel a dull ache in her left leg.

It seemed Sophia was familiar with Riverfall, ”It is quite beautiful... very different to where I’m from... almost in every way.” While Sunberth had been a lateness city of chaos, the akalak’s home was one of beauty and order... mostly. Kamilla recalled a season in Riverfall filled with odd happening a and rumors of living shadows.

”Around a year, I think.” Honestly, she couldn’t remember, the mage had moved around so often in recent years that she’d mostly given up on committing the durations of her stays to memory. Sophia went on the confirm the suspicion that she was indeed a Svefra. Kamilla considered saying something, but before she could, the blonde peeled up, having finally found what they’d been looking for.

Following close behind, Kamilla could see the large plant and the so-called ‘pups’ that surrounded it, ”Thank you...” she said as she took the offered knife from the Svefra. Taking a knee, Kamilla chose the thickest, longest spiky lead she could find and pulled the knife just below the halfway point, getting back to her feet with a satisfying smile, offering the blade back to its owner.

”So, that balm you mentioned? How would you go about doing that?” Kamilla had to admit that she was more than curious, she even considered taking a ‘pup’ of the useful plant for herself, but then she could barely take care of Roo and he could tell her what was needed.

Glad to have finally obtained more of the useful plant known as aloe, Kamilla took a seat on the nearest comfortable looking rock, watching the blonde go about her business, curious as to how she would dig the ‘pup’ out, relieved to be giving her injured leg a rest.

Kamilla
Magical Mistress

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes