So We Wander // So Who Knows Pt.2

Job Thread - Roo is sick, Sophia comes to the rescue

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Syka is a new settlement of primarily humans on the east coast of Falyndar opposite of Riverfall on The Suvan Sea. [Syka Codex]

Moderator: Gossamer

Postby Kamilla on June 5th, 2019, 10:15 am

Kamilla Circe Gordon

Surprisingly, Sophia seemed to be satisfied with her answer, or at least lacked anymore questions, something Kamilla was not used to in regards to people finding out about magic. Usually, the questions came in a flurry of curiosity and incorrect assumptions, though the Svefra didn’t seem to be too consumed by her new discovery. Kamilla supposed she should be relieved, but there was a small disappointment in the back of her mind, part of her still wanted everyone to be as interested in the mysteries of the arcane as she was. It was times like this that the mage missed Sahova.

Arriving at the beach, Sophia wasted no time explaining what they were looking for and getting to work, Kamilla nodding and following close by. They were looking for dry but healthy seaweed, of which there seemed to be plenty judging by how often the blonde was bending over to pluck pieces from the beach. While nowhere near as confident as the Svefra, Kamilla managed to find a few seemingly suitable pieces herself, dropping them into the sack, the activity was kind of calming.

”Kamilla… if you think that Roo is magic, do you have any idea how he is able to talk? I mean …did somebody do it to him, or is it how he has always been?”

There it was. It seemed the Svefra had been more curious than she’d let on, something Kamilla was relieved to discover, it seemed magic was still interesting even to those who knew little of it.

Arms crossed over her chest as Kamilla turned her brown gaze on the curious blue one’s belonging to the blonde, it was not an easy question to answer. ”Honestly, I’m not sure... according to Roo, where it comes from all the plants are ‘alive’... but that could mean it’s naturally like that or someone did it to Roo, it just doesn’t know it...” A short pause as she thought on the situation a moment longer, ”I mean, do we know if the gods created us or anything around us? Aren’t Svefra children of Laviku?”

Not sure where she was going with her little speech, Kamilla stopped to pick up another seemingly adequate piece of seaweed, plopping it into the bag with a sigh. ”But as far as my opinion, I don’t think any person made Roo the way it is, that little flower seems far too alive to just be some experiment.” Of course that was quite the statement coming from an animator, someone who’s magic was literally about granting things artificial life, but it was an honest one. Roo was so lively, emotional and annoyingly alive sometimes, that Kamilla couldn’t picture the flower as just a result of some person’s experiment.

Finding herself at a loss for words, now deep in thought, pondering Roo’s origins as well, Kamilla could only offer the Svefra a small smile as she spoke again. ”Reimancy... but there’s no way that could create something like Roo. Though perhaps we should look farther than just mortals, I don’t know much about gods, but aren’t Svefra blessed by the sea god in some tangible way?” Thoughts went to Finn and his living oceanic tattoo, according to him, a gift from Laviku.

The thought brought about a whole new curiosity in the mage’s mind, brown eyes narrowing in suspicion as she glanced over Sophia’s notably not oceanic living tattoo. ”Speaking of... why isn’t yours of the sea? Is it just random? That seems odd for a sea god.” She’d been curious about it since first laying eyes on it, but now seemed like a good time to ask.

Kamilla
Magical Mistress

Words: 592212
Joined roleplay: November 16th, 2014, 5:52 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
Syka Seasonal Challenge (1)

Postby Sophia Sunshore on June 7th, 2019, 12:13 pm

The bag in Sophia’s hand was rapidly filling with good specimens of seaweed, and the Svefra was satisfied that she would be able to make a good fertiliser for Roo. When Kamilla’s voice floated over to her, answering the stammering question she had put out, Sophia paused in her work and turned to listen properly.

’ according to Roo, where it comes from all the plants are ‘alive’...’
Sophia’s head tilted a fraction in curiosity. So did that mean it was more of a question of where the plant had come from, not who made it? She wondered what sort of place would be filled with talking plants like him. She had heard of nowhere on Mizahar that had such things and she had heard a lot of stories before.

A tiny smile quirked at the corner of Sophia’s mouth as Kamilla mentioned Laviku, and she gave a brief nod. The Svefra did call themselves the sea-God’s children, although this particular Svefra had been continuing to struggle with that fact ever since her outburst earlier in the season.

She held the bag up to receive the seaweed the brunette offered up and dropped her gaze back down to the sands to continue hunting for the dried plants. She couldn’t help but chuckle. ”He certainly seems lively that’s for sure, even when he is sick.” She scooped up a couple of pieces of crispy seaweed and placed them in the bag with the rest.

”Reimancy… so it has a proper name. Huh.” Blue eyes watched Kamilla for a moment. The other woman appeared to know at least a little about the magic that let people control the elements, for she spoke with such surety on the matter. Sophia’s brow furrowed just a tiny bit as Laviku was mentioned again, and she dropped her gaze to the sack in her hand, pretending to examine its contents to try and avoid the question.

”Speaking of... why isn’t yours of the sea? Is it just random? That seems odd for a sea god.”
Sophia sighed and looked back up at Kamilla, noticing the narrowed eyes fixed on her left forearm. ”It’s not random, but it’s also not Laviku’s mark.” Sophia was proud of her mark, most of her clothing was chosen specifically to keep it uncovered. Her resistance to Kamilla’s question stemmed from her lack of the other mark that pretty much every Svefra she had ever met possessed.

”Laviku never marked me.” There. She had never said it out loud before because truthfully, it still stung. Most people just assumed that she had some depiction of the ocean somewhere else on her body and she never corrected them about it. ”I was gifted this mark by Caiyha shortly before I came here.” Sophia wondered if Kamilla knew of her Goddess. ”She is the caretaker of the living things, the plants and animals.” Sophia paused, and a little smile started to creep its way over her mouth. ”I don’t know if you saw me, but it’s the reason I examined Roo for so long - usually I can communicate in some way with the living things. I mean, not so much here in the jungle, but I thought a potplant might work…”

She broke off as she realised she had started to ramble again and cleared her throat. ”Anyway, it didn’t work. I guess because Roo is magic, maybe?” Another curious thing about the plant. Although since Roo could speak for himself then the point was almost irrelevant.

Sophia weighed the bag in her hand. ”I think we have enough here now for what we need.” She started to turn in the direction of Uta’s Place, her mind ticking back over what Kamilla had been saying. ”So… do you know a lot about this, what was it? Reimancy?” The Svefra had always wondered about the magic, as it wasn’t uncommon among her kin, though nobody in her immediate family had possessed the ability. She would be willing to share more about her Mark too, if Kamilla asked, though she hoped that the other woman wouldn’t press too hard about Laviku.

Once the pair reached the home of the botanist again, Sophia set the bag down and went about removing some of the drier pieces of seaweed in preparation to use for Roo. ”We just need to break this up into really small pieces. It’ll be easier for it to break down that way.”

ooc :
I don't like this post... but I'm not sure why. I hope it's okay.
NOTE: During the Fall Sophia is a Dhani, specifically a golden eyelash viper. See here for more detailed info.
Sophia Sunshore
Plant Lady

Words: 193757
Joined roleplay: July 5th, 2018, 5:26 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Character (1)

Postby Kamilla on June 11th, 2019, 10:07 pm

Kamilla Circe Gordon

Kamilla continued her search for suitable pieces of seaweed, allowing Sophia to speak at her own pace. The mage wasn’t especially interested in the Svefra woman or her tattoos, more like curious, but she supposed it couldn’t hurt to learn more about her and her people. Since they’d only met once before, Kamilla really knew next to nothing about the blonde, besides the fact that she was cheerful, friendly and interested in plants.

”Laviku never marked me.”

Kamilla could feel the mood drop somewhat as the blonde spoke, the mage instantly regretting her question, it may not have been obvious but she could tell that she’d fallen into what was pretty clearly not a casual topic to the Svefra. She was about to open her mouth to attempt to redirect the conversation in hopes of saving the light hearted atmosphere, certainly not in the mood for an emotional exchange, but Sophia was already speaking again.

Caiyha? So she’d been marked by a different god, or goddess, something that Kamilla was certainly more interested in, appreciating the blonde’s decision to explain who this Caiyha was without needing to be asked. It seemed this goddess of plants and animals had gifted Sophia with some miraculous abilities, though wasn’t certain what exactly the blonde meant by ‘communicate’ with livings things, though apparently it included plants.

”Maybe...” she answered, now considering Roo’s origins as well, as if she hadn’t done it a dozen times before. Thankfully it seemed they’d gathered enough seaweed as Kamilla turned to follow Sophia back to Uta’s place, stiffening up ever-so-slightly as the Svefra asked about Reimancy.

Her instincts told told her to lie, she was well aware that magic was not welcomed or understood by most and wasn’t willing to risk an outburst. ”Oh, uh, yes... There’s a University of Magic in Zeltiva, I was bound to hear a thing or two about different magics while living there.” She offered an awkward shrug in hopes that the blonde would buy her story. Thankfully they’d already reached Uta’s place... Roo waiting in the exact spot she’d left it.

”You were gone forever.”

”Well we’re back now, okay Roo?” Honestly, their trip to the beach had seemed super short, but she wasn’t about to argue about time with a sick plant, choosing instead to not in Sophia’s direction and begin breaking up the seaweed as best she could.

”So, you were marked by a god... what’s it like?” This had always been something she was somewhat curious about, having never come into contact with one of the divine herself.

Kamilla
Magical Mistress

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Sophia Sunshore on June 13th, 2019, 8:38 pm

Sophia could see the brunette woman’s interest pique as soon as she mentioned her Goddess Caiyha. She wondered if it was idle curiosity as many had when speaking of matters such as Gods, or if it were something more than that. Kamilla appeared to know things about magics - Sophia had never even realised they all had names, so she suspected that her interest ran a little deeper.

The Svefra glanced over at Kamilla as she spoke briefly of Zeltiva. A whole university just for magic? Sophia couldn’t imagine such a place. And different magics? Did that mean there was more than just the elemental power she had witnessed before?

Roo’s forlorn little voice made Sophia smile and she ran her gaze over the pot plant. She wondered if the plant could see, for it didn’t appear to have any eyes. She had been doing a lot of wondering about magic today and quickly coming to understand that one question led to three more questions, and nothing was really quite as one could see it. ”Don’t worry Roo, we’ve found you the best seaweed.”

Sophia carefully ripped and broke the flat pieces of seaweed into small bits, collecting them together in a small pile. She flicked her eyes up to watch Kamilla as the brunette asked her question. ”To have a mark? It’s… well to be completely honest I don’t notice it as something… separate.” She smiled apologetically. ”It’s hard to explain. I can feel the mark, but it is a part of me as much as my eyes or my hands are. My particular mark lets me feel the world around me - I can feel the essence of the place I am in if I choose to.”
She paused again as she searched for the right words. ”Sorry if I’m not making sense, I’ve never had to describe it before… Everything about my mark is through feeling. I can feel emotions of plants and animals. I can feel how an ecosystem works. And I never really had to learn it. As soon as Caiyha gifted it to me I just… could.”

Sophia continued to methodically break apart the rough seaweed as she spoke. ”I don’t know if anyone else experiences the same, I imagine they do. And I don’t know if other marks feel the same either. Like I said, I wasn’t chosen by Laviku.” She gave a tight-lipped smile. ”It is difficult to put into words but I can try and answer anything else?” Her voice rose at the end, inviting Kamilla to enquire further if she wished.

”Maybe, if you know, can you tell me some more about the other magics? Are there a lot of them - more than just the rei…reimancy?” She glanced hopefully at Kamilla. Sophia had quickly realised how little she knew of such things and her curiosity was well and truly piqued. She motioned for the brunette to bring Roo over. ”We need to mix this into the soil that is already in the pot. Can he… can he be taken out?” If so, Sophia would ask Kamilla to remove Roo from his home temporarily, and she would mix handfuls of the seaweed into the soil. ”These pieces should break down in the soil and Roo should be able to take them up through his roots.”
NOTE: During the Fall Sophia is a Dhani, specifically a golden eyelash viper. See here for more detailed info.
Sophia Sunshore
Plant Lady

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Character (1)

Postby Kamilla on June 14th, 2019, 1:15 am

Kamilla Circe Gordon

Despite only being gone for a few chimes, Kamilla was still glad to see that Roo’s condition hadn’t visibly changed since she’d left. Of course, it wasn’t ideal, she’d have lived it if the pot plant had miraculously recovered by the time they’d returned from their seaweed hunt, but on a more realistic note, no change was probably the most reasonable result she could have hoped for.

The corners of her mouth bent slightly upwards as Sophia responded to Roo as if it weren’t unusual for a plant to talk, but she quickly learned why as the blonde began to explain her mark and what it could do, while breaking apart pieces of the seaweed they’d collected.

According to Sophia, her mark gave her the ability to sense things far beyond anything a regular person could. Plants, animals, environments and ecosystems. Being able to feel such things seemed like a surprisingly powerful tool to have in ones arsenal, although the friendly blonde had never struck her as powerful. Perhaps there was more to it.

Kamilla’s mind was already beginning to rush through all the possibilities of Sophia’s gifts when the Svefra spoke, forcing the thoughts to stop and be replaced with a state of mild concern. Had she slipped and let on that she knew more than she was letting on about magic? She supposed after Roo had spoken, the magical cat was mostly out of the bag, though that didn’t mean she should release it entirely.

”Uhm, as far as I know, there’s at least a few... I’ve seen people throw elements around and draw strange symbols capable of doing odd things. I suppose there’s a lot more too.” There definitely was, but Kamilla wasn’t about to put herself as a mage. Instead, hearing Sophia’s instructions, Kamilla simply nodded, tilting Roo’s pot to let out enough of the soil for her to grip it by the stem and gently pull it out. ”Sorry Roo... but it’s for your own good.”

”I’m naked...”

The lack of energy behind her, usually energetic, flower’s words reminded her of just how unwell Roo was. ”Normally I just pluck his upper half and plant it anew... the roots grow surprisingly fast... but Roo doesn’t like that at all.” She added, an awkward smile on her face as she suddenly realised how self conscious she felt dealing with Roo in front of an actual botanist.

Kamilla
Magical Mistress

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Sophia Sunshore on June 16th, 2019, 4:18 pm

Sophia was too busy breaking apart the seaweed to notice how intently Kamilla had been listening to her speak of her Gnosis. It was so much a part of her now that she barely realised that it was something extraordinary. Of course, when she was actively using it she did know for she could feel in her very soul just what she could do, but on a day-to-day basis she didn’t have the time to stop and wonder all that often.

Her head titled slightly in curiosity as Kamilla in turn answered her question about the magics. How symbols were meant to be able to do anything special Sophia couldn’t imagine. Surely anyone could draw a symbol? She knew with certainty that if she tried to draw one, absolutely nothing would happen to it. There was something behind Kamilla’s voice too, though the Svefra couldn’t tell what. Her answer sounded too vague compared to how firmly she had spoken of the magic earlier and Sophia glanced up at her for a moment to try and read her expression.

Almost as soon as she had stopped speaking however, Kamilla had retrieved Roo, so Sophia decided not to question her any further. Perhaps the brunette had reached her capacity for sharing with a relative stranger for one day. The corners of her mouth quirked in the hint of a smile at the poor plants words, and Sophia pulled the empty pot closer to her. ”You cut the bottom off completely? Huh, interesting.” Sophia didn’t know of a plant that would survive with no roots at all. Then again it was plainly obvious that Roo was not a normal plant.

She took up a handful of the seaweed pieces and dropped them into the pot, before mixing it all together with her hands. She repeated this a couple of times before sliding the pot back over to Kamilla so she could put Roo back into his home.

”So, the liquid feed will take about 14 to 20 days until its ready, but the longer we leave it the better it will be.” Sophia gathered up the pile of remaining seaweed pieces they had torn apart and put them into a small bag. ”In the meantime you can keep adding these into the soil. Just sprinkle them on the top and add some water to soak them in so you don’t have to take him out every time.”

The rest of the unbroken seaweed went into the bag they had come out of. ”So I can either make the feed for you and bring some over, or we can make it near where you live. We basically need a pot of fresh water to soak the seaweed in, then it gets covered and left.” Sophia smiled before she spoke again. ”It will smell… I warn you now! But you won’t need much because it’s a small pot.” No matter what Kamilla wanted to do, Sophia would gather up her journal and the bag of seaweed to head out, as she would need to head down to the Core for some water.
Sophia Sunshore
Plant Lady

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Character (1)

Postby Kamilla on June 18th, 2019, 10:42 pm

Kamilla Circe Gordon

Still holding onto a barely wriggling Roo, who kept coughing and now appeared to be holding itself for warmth, using its two leafy offshoots as arms, Kamilla watched as the blonde got to work. The process didn’t seem too complicated, Sophia simply breaking the dried seaweed into tiny pieces and then sprinkling it into Roo’s pot before repeating the process. It seemed a surprisingly simple solution to the problem but she remained grateful to the Svefra all the same.

”Thanks you again Sophia... this is twice now...” Kamilla began, now gently fingering a hole in the dirt before gently placing Roo back inside before repacking the surrounding soil. She’d heard both of the options the blonde had offered and considering Kamilla didn’t actually live anywhere specific in Syka, a third option was needed. ”Uh, how about you make it and I fetch it from you when it’s ready?” She also wasn’t enthusiastic about the smell that was mentioned.

Taking a deep breath before sighing in relief as she regarded the still limp form of Roo, Kamilla offered Sophia another small grateful smile. ”I really am grateful for your help. Twice now. Please let me pay you for your work this time, I won’t take no for an answer.” She was indeed grateful, but the payment doubled as moral justification to not feel indebted to the blonde for her assistance. Kamilla hated owing people anything, no matter how small, regardless of whether they actually expected to be compensated for their efforts or not.

Kamilla
Magical Mistress

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Sophia Sunshore on July 8th, 2019, 3:37 pm

Sophia occasionally flicked her eyes up to Roo as she worked, noticing just how human the little plant seemed to be. His actions in particular were the most curious, especially as Roo was now acting as if he were cold outside of his pot. It was such a curious thing to see and she wished that her Gift had worked on him, as she wondered if his mind would be like that of a human or a regular plant. She suspected the former.

Journal and supplies now in hand, the Svefra smiled and nodded at Kamilla. ”Sure, that works for me.” Sophia would hardly notice the smell of seaweed after living on the ship for so long, and she could just move the pot away at the end if it did end up being too much. She stepped down from Uta’s Place, waiting for the brunette to join her down on the path. ”Oh, honestly there is no need! I get paid already for things like this. Besides, I am sure Uta would be pleased that you are helping me to further her research along!” She smiled at Kamilla. ”If you are still insistent, then perhaps you could help me out sometime when I need it? I don’t know what you do, but I am sure it would work out.”

Sophia meandered along the path that would take her back home. She’d collect a smallish pot from her things along the way to the City Core that she could fill with water once there and then carry back. Roo’s sad little coughs caused Sophia’s brow to furrow slightly as she walked. ”If he doesn’t start to pick up at all in a few days, come and find me again. He won’t immediately be better, but it should help somewhat until the liquid is ready.” Sophia was almost certain that it should work, as she had seen the seaweed fertiliser in action before, but Roo of course, was completely different to any other plant she had come across.

As they passed by Sophia’s place, she detoured off the path to drop off the things she was carrying and collect a pot that was both large enough to hold a decent amount of fertiliser, and small enough for her to carry comfortably when it was filled with water. Soon enough she was at the City Core and carefully filling the pot with water. She’d bid farewell to both Kamilla and Roo, reminding the brunette to come by whenever she wanted to, and then make her slow way back to her little home.
Once there, Sophia would place the pot in a sheltered position against a rock, but in the sunshine and then empty the bag of seaweed into it, swirling the fronds around until they were submerged in the water. The lid went on the pot, almost completely covering the simple mixture and that was that. Hopefully the quirky little plant would pick up soon.
Sophia Sunshore
Plant Lady

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Character (1)

Postby Ennisa on December 12th, 2019, 3:11 pm

Grades Awarded

Please edit your grade request, thanks!
Kamilla

Skills

Cosmetology: +1
Land Navigation: +1
Observation: +3
Socialisation: +5
Botany: +2
Philosophy: +1

Lores

Roo: A chatterbox
Observation: Noticing changes by remembering previous appearances
Roo: Usual behaviours
Syka Location: Uta’s Place
Sophia: Has a grassland mark of Caiyha on her arm
Botany: Plants require nutrients
Sophia: Knows about Roo
Philosophy: Discussions on creation
Caiyha: Goddess and caretaker of living things
Gnosis of Caiyha: Allows communication with living things
Socialization: Noticing tricky subjects of conversation
Self: Hates owing anyone anything

Penalties/Awards

Ledger:
Item(s):
Health:

Notes

Kamilla is so secretive about magic! I love the way you write how Kamilla observes the world. This was another fun thread. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to PM.
Sophia

Skills

Writing: +1
Drawing: +1
Observation: +5
Socialisation: +4
Botany: +5
Gardening: +2
Teaching: +3

Lores

Botany: Cinnamon tree: Appearance
Drawing: More detailed leaves
Botany: Checking leaves for bugs
Botany: Observing blemishes which could indicate disease
Botany: Plants require nutrients, can be boosted with fertilizers
Teaching: Explaining how to use fertilizer
Botany: Seaweed fertilizer
Kamilla: Owns a talking plant named Roo
Roo: Is it magic?
Magic: Within plants, people and animals
Botany: Observing healthy seaweed for fertilizer
Roo: Comes from a place where all plants are ‘alive’
Reimancy: A magic that allows control over the elements
Zeltiva: Has a University of Magic
Teaching: A brief description of Caiyha’s gnosis
Magic: Symbol magic
Kamilla: Not letting on everything
Botany: Preparation of liquid feed

Penalties/Awards

Ledger:
Item(s):
Health:

Notes

Sophia is so lovely! :O I loved reading this first thread I've seen of yours. All I would say is... don't doubt yourself. :) those posts you made where you weren't so sure - read absolutely fine. Keep at it. If you had any questions about the grades, please don't hesitate to OM me.
Sharai | Shinyama | Zintia (home) | Tenten | Sartu (work)
4-6, Dawn Rest | 10-12, Noon Rest | 16-18, Dusk Rest | 22-24, Midnight Rest

Ennisa
Miss Chievious

Words: 261967
Joined roleplay: September 8th, 2019, 11:05 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Mizahar Grader (1)

Previous