Awkward Moments [From Sanctuary (Anyone can jump in)]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Postby Ferrin on January 8th, 2011, 2:21 am

Day 36, Winter, 510 AV

So it appeared Nuavi had found a distraction. Relieving. Eyes slid their gaze between the women, stopping to examine Kavala more precisely as she spoke. Logic would admit that she was more than able to be aware of the twin souls birthed into every Akalak if she had spent much time around them, yet the mention of awareness towards the most intimate part of him was unnerving. Skin prickled, hard muscle tensing beneath the wall of battered indigo. Steadied breath slowed the beat of a heavy heart. Reflexive. Large, thickly calloused fingers curled in. The natural reaction of the body when trying to guard its secrets.

Spirit lit the chamber beneath the hollow of starkly pale eyes; a glint of acknowledgement, perhaps. A moment in the limelight for something that enjoyed such just a little too much. It was only a fragment of time, no more than a second, when his features twisted and lips coiled at their corners to flash the glimmer of teeth. The concept of bloodshed in a place called Sanctuary.
Poetic, wasn't it?

Inhale, push it back, swallow it whole. Clarification came to the mangled mind and he found himself discontented, but in agreement. There was little time to respond to the older Konti, and he had not yet collected his thoughts enough that he would wish to. Instead the Akalak gave a curt nod, tossing a final glance to Nuavi as he turned and headed towards the door, cloak fluttering at heels.

The crisp cold air of winter hit him, toying with dirty, oil black locks and scattering them all the more. Feet crunched tossed leaves and scattered rock, footfalls dissolved in the sound of sighing wind. It was a lonesome sound that seemed as misplaced as Ferrin himself. Sanctuary. What a ridiculous name. A contradiction- this place existing in a time like this. He would not succumb to unrealistic ideology.

The horse was standing calmly near where he'd left it, and Ferrin approached the creature, secretly admiring its beauty. His appreciation for the art of nature was an integral part of him. It was also one of his many secrets. Should it be known this was his interest, one might easily assume the small Akalak to be useless as a warrior and direct him towards a ridiculously lesser path.

Never mind it all. Admiration of worldly beauty had no relevance to his true interest. With a shake of his head to redirect thoughts, he wrapped the reigns around one hand and lead the animal to the back. Kavala might be training both he and Nuavi at the same time, but he had no desire to connect with her. If she wanted to bare him a child, very well. It hardly mattered who the woman was, so long as their womb was capable. If she was not interested in doing such, she was useless to him and not something he felt the need to be stressed over.

Ferrin
Player

Words: 16850
Joined roleplay: January 5th, 2011, 10:02 pm
Race: Akalak

Postby Nuavi on January 8th, 2011, 3:34 am

Kavala. A Konti name for one whose mannerisms were decidedly foreign; it may have been simply her imagination, but Nuavi thought she detected hints of an old accent in the woman's words, as though she did not share the native tongue of her kind. Or perhaps it was only the starkness of the contrast between this Riverfall Konti's flavor of thought in comparison to the Konti of the Isle, of Mura, of home. She was direct, yes-- but that wasn't entirely it. Nuavi herself was known to be blunt in her own right. Kavala was...disconnected. She felt cruel for thinking it, but the realization was a stark as the incongruency. Some measure of distance had been laid between the Konti and the rest of her race, some missing trait, something odd about her which marked her so distinctly as separate.

There was a sadness to her as well, though nothing like Ferrin's wild savagery. It was cold and contained and peered out from tiny chinks in thick armor, a flood just barely at bay. It was deep enough to evade Nuavi for the most part, but those fleeting moments when Kavala had announced a knowledge which had seemed to surprise even her, that they were not only expected, but late? Like the disembodied voice of a god had whispered the fact in her ear, dropped it into her head and flit off like a winged imp. That moment had been thick with a gift, similar enough in kind to allow relation and a peek into Kavala's innermost depths.

She shuddered to recall it. Like a beaten child it had been, tiny hands clinging to red stained bars, dirty nails and blank blue eyes.

Horrifying.

As Nuavi followed the two out into the courtyard and made for Ravnoth, who was impatient to be released, she considered another oddity: why had Kavala mentioned the three of them? By her count, there were only two: herself and Ferrin. Who else had Kavala been speaking of? Nuavi untied her horse and lead him to where the strange Konti was waiting, haunted by this question. Ferrin didn't seem the least bit disturbed by it; in fact, he seemed to have understood what she meant. The flicker of understanding which passed between them was potent enough to be marked by Nuavi, who sensed Kavala was right about the upset between herself and the Akalak. They needed to release the charged distractions if they were going to train properly with their mounts.

Nuavi, though she understood the soundness of principle, knew that would be difficult to do. She cared naturally for the well being of others, distressed easily by their distress, and perhaps even more if she could do nothing about it. Having been sheltered in her home Isle by her own kind, her life had known little of true hardship. Even the long journey from Mura to Riverfall had bestowed upon her undue grants of luck. Now she was in the presence of two anguished individuals, without the slightest clue as to how to begin to soothe either.

She should have left him alone, she decided, halting before Kavala with a transparent expression. She shouldn't have shown Ferrin what she knew, shouldn't have pretended to know a stranger well enough to reach into their heart and calm it. She'd only hurt him. Regret tightened her grip on the lead, but did not betray itself in her gaze as it lifted to meet Kavala's. "I'd like to pay for full boarding one night at a time," she said somewhat stiffly, having no practice in fighting down her natural emotions, "and as for training, I suspect Ferrin should go first, since he did arrive before I did. I'd prefer to train with my own horse when he is finished. But," Nuavi hesitated, a taut emotion which made the bay desertbred stamp in annoyance, "would it be possible to stay here and watch?"

Impulse again, all the more impetuous because she was trying to fight it. It was just the connections, again, being loath to sever them once forged, however flimsily.
Nuavi
Player

Words: 13944
Joined roleplay: January 6th, 2011, 2:28 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet

Postby Akela on January 9th, 2011, 6:52 pm

Someone was already out there in the courtyard. Not speaking a word, just leaning against one of the stalls and looking somewhere far beyond Sanctuary, a fellow Konti stood waiting. She bore a striking resemblance to Kavala, and some may have found their appearance confusing if not for the sheathed katana at her side. She was the owner's sister, Akela, eldest daughter of Eachann, Ankal of the Denusk Pavilion. Those who knew her were well aware that Akela tended to be inconstant like the weather. No-one was ever really sure if she'd show up the next day, or where or in what kind of mood.

However, one certain thing about Akela was that whenever someone entered the Sanctuary who held any speck of danger in his eyes, somehow she was there. In case things took a turn for the worse, as was sometimes the case in this age, when the occasional Akalak might forget that a Nakivak was currently in a breeding contract with another fellow, or when people wished to haggle and the owner did not. The Sanctuary had its own unspoken laws. Stories were shared but never forced out of anyone. And wounds healed, slowly but surely. She wanted it to stay that way.

Akela cast a glance at the strangers, but made no move towards them. She did not often mingle with passing customers; Kavala was the frontwoman for the place and Akela had been more than happy to let her. Akela, her sister's guardian, asked for nothing more than a roof, daily meals and the clothes on her back... the important things in life.

Konti and Akalak. The Konti seemed fresh off the boat, so to speak. Textbook Mura fare, like Kavala had perhaps wanted to be at one time. Akela never had. The Akalak carried himself like one of the darker ones, but they weren't necessarily violent. Like her sister, Akela had plenty of experience... with Sorian's darker half Navis and Hatot's Radris, just to name the most important. They might not react well to an armed woman entering their immediate surroundings, and so she kept her distance, unmoving and watching. Hers was the easy job... most of the time.

Akela
Chains that free

Words: 45104
Joined roleplay: October 1st, 2009, 11:10 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Trailblazer (1) Donor (1)

Postby Kavala on January 10th, 2011, 1:22 am

ImageIn her first days of Riverfall, Kavala used to get angry with the Akalak for their brooding silence and seeming personal agony. She'd grown used to it though. Sorian had been a big help in breaking her of the need to always try and help them or fix them. Experience had taught her they grew into their own, as time passed, and came out unscathed on the other side regardless of how deep their internal turmoil went.

She was also used to silence and her questions going unanswered. The Akalak had failed to respond to her direct question about where the leopardbred would be expected to go - the terrain type especially. Neither had introduced themselves to her. It was a little unusual. The Akalak were a polite society, especially towards women, but it startled her of the Konti, holding her tongue and saying nothing more than what she wanted from Kavala. Growing up Drykas, she was used to laughter and banter and the happy voices of family all around her. These two were different. Mura was a happy place too. Kavala remembered it well from her time there. Perhaps the konti had seen hardship on her trip or was quiet by nature. Kavala realized some people were.

"Lady, you can do as you'd like if you do not upset the Akalak. It is hit or miss what they will tolerate and what they will not. I'd rather teach you both together for it saves me from repeating myself, but it is no worry if you go at two different paces or each has their own trouble spots to work out."
She added and then turned to slip into the inner courtyard expecting the other two to head around the facility to the horse gate which she'd open for them.

Akela was a happy surprise as she slipped into the courtyard to open the gate and meet the customers with their horses. She paused beside her sister, touching her arm a moment and glancing at her face. When Kavala spoke, it was in perfect Pavi. "I'm not sure who these two are...." She said softly. "They want riding lessons and boarding, but above that I do not know. He does not answer questions and she asks too many with her eyes. Have we been too long from the world living here? I never know how to judge it, Akela. Too soft? Too strong? Maybe the child is making me wistful. I have a feeling they are supposed to be here. Me. The utterly sightless." Kavala said, smiling slightly and leaving her sister to go see the guests through the main gate and into the courtyard. She opened the gate to the riding arena and beckoned them both in.

She used common, and then carefully switched to Tukant a little brokenly to explain what she wished to the Akalak.

"If you do not mind, can you tell me what you know about your horses? I'd like to start from the ground up with nutrition and care, which includes grooming and taking care of their gear. Then we'll move onto riding both techniques and survival. If you do well, I'll turn my sister over to you and teach you what I can about staying in the saddle while someone who can and will see that you don't remain there tries to see you and your horse parted ways. Lady Konti, you'll need such training to survive in the world, for a sister on foot in most parts of the world is a dead sister. And well... you... Akalak... will just find it useful because it is a long walk to anywhere around here once you leave the city." Kavala turned around, glanced at Akela, and smiled slightly.

"Akela will most likely be joining us in the rest of the training as well. I've got a little strider who needs a firm hand and to be taken up from the ground onwards once more in some refresher training." The burnished gold filly had a wicked streak a mile long and a name to match. Spitfire. Kavala had been longing to get her sister anywhere near the mare she'd brought from Endrykas to use as breeding stock. It wasn't as if the mare was mean, she wasn't. Her problem was that she was too smart for her own good. Perfect, in fact, if Akela ever decided to set out for parts unknown.

"Now... tell me about your horses and let me have a look at them."
Kavala's first job was to see if they were sound of mind and body and what their strengths and weaknesses were.
The Sanctuary The Sanctuary Forum Riverfall The Cytali
Reverie Isle Wolf Creek Training Course
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala
I am more than the sum of my parts.

Words: 3295757
Joined roleplay: October 25th, 2009, 1:46 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 17
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Master Merchant (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (2) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Ferrin on January 12th, 2011, 2:30 am

Day 36, Winter, 510 AV

It was only a moment before he appeared coming around from the side, horse lead by reigns and eyes scanning the surroundings. Ferrin took note of the curiously quiet Konti who stood a ways away, noting her build and dress. The sheath at the woman's side clearly held a ready weapon, and from the looks, it might have been a katana. While the Akalak had a fondness for the prestige of such simple looking weapons, and admired the craftsmanship that went into them, his interests, like most of his race, mainly revolved around unarmed combat. A second glance was given as if to assure himself that she posed the image of some sort of watchman or guard, and then continued on his way.

Feet paused a yard or two away from the two Konti who were conversing. Nuavi seemed so different from Kavala, and it might have been a surprise that the two were even the same species. Something about Kavala spoke of a ruggedness and long time spent out of her homeland, while Nuavi was more fresh. More naive, quite possibly. He didn't bother to wonder long on the subject. It wasn't his business and Ferrin rarely found much interest in the goings on of other peoples' lives.

The leopardbred he brought was a stallion, roughly ten years old and healthy as it ought to be. His grandfather had seen to picking out a good animal, and while the horse appeared to have some minor training that allowed it to be willing to be lead about by a novice such as Ferrin, one would clearly find much more would be needed. Features set and jaw muscles flexing, he waited in silence, the perfect image of introverted stoicism designed by a community bloated with too much testosterone. Fingers curled and twisted around the reigns, a meager sign of impatience.

When questioned about his knowledge, he cocked his head, eying this nearly colorless woman who spoke in his own native tongue. The basic feelings of surprise and confusing surfaced to reflect in silver eyes, ebbing away and melding to a somewhat narrowed suspicion. He responded, likewise, in his own tongue.
"I know the breed's name, and I know it is a male. Young. I know what I've been told of it, and nothing beyond that. I've not ridden before. I've never needed the assistance of another creature, and so I've never needed to know anything of them. What terrains I will travel, I can't say at the moment. Only that there will likely be many, and I must be prepared for anything." Unnerved by the sudden spotlight of attention, his free hand rose to awkwardly smear back clumped locks of hair, shoving the tendrils of black over a broad shoulder.

Eyes flicked their attention back to Akela briefly, offering little more than momentary acknowledgment. The twisting pulse of other soul within was disgruntled, and those sensations were leaking through to agitate the young Akelak. Something seemed strange. Wrong, off, odd. Whatever it was, the woman known as Kavala disturbed him, and he could not place why. Only that whatever it was directly related to the Beast. After scrutinizing the female in question a moment longer, Ferrin gave a stiff nod and thrust his hand out, reigns of his horse held for her.

Surrounded by strange pale faces. He'd have been more comfortable in a graveyard, and were these the faces of ghosts, perhaps even enjoyed them. But they were flesh and blood. Opinionated, alive, personal and particular. Alien things of a mixed society that made the world in whole. Ferrin had not felt so estranged in a while now. If only he could retreat to his solitude, high on the rocky cliffs where few cared to venture.
Last edited by Ferrin on January 14th, 2011, 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ferrin
Player

Words: 16850
Joined roleplay: January 5th, 2011, 10:02 pm
Race: Akalak

Postby Nuavi on January 12th, 2011, 3:26 am

Akela's arrival had been like a kick in the gut.

Frigid, she was; Nuavi could bear only a glance in her direction as she lead Ravnoth to the gate where Kavala stood waiting, the cold of that mind bearing down like an avalanche of frosted mystery, as cool and sharpened as the razor edge of that peculiar blade. She had only seen weapons like that upon the hips of foreigners touring the sights of the White Isle, but never upon one of her own kind. Yet Akela was quite unlike the Konti she had grown up with in Mura, indeed, feeling of another race entirely, one of stone and swiftness. She had the distinct impression the silent woman would kill without remorse, and had done so many, many times before. She was more than a warrior; she was an unrepentant phantom of death, able to slay as indiscriminately as the sea and with even less provocation. The very strong urge to stay as far from her as possible quickened Nuavi's pace to the gate, drawing up behind Ferrin as he discussed his steed. The prospect of training with Akela might have dissuaded her from participating with the little group, but The Call resonated strongly with Kavala and seemed just as eager to envelop the reluctant Akalak into its purpose, so obediently, under the raptor eye of the warrior woman, she entered the riding arena feeling for all the world like a feral, hunted thing.

Survival. Yes, she would benefit from more formalized training in that department if she planned on living much longer. Indistinct as of yet, hazed figures tried to form in her mind's eye along shadows of the walls of Riverfall, dark things trying to articulate warning. It would seem the city could be more dangerous than the outlying lands if it wanted to be. Akela alone was proof of that. Nuavi would have to learn to survive it, and quickly. It was a small miracle she had made it this far from Mura on horseback and, for the majority of the journey, alone. Following the coast and sleeping whenever possible in the sea or a river, even in shallow pools had seemed to spare her the worst of feral lands. That, coupled with the fact that she allowed Ravnoth to lead the way more often than not allowed her to benefit from his natural affinity for sensing danger-- and to avoid it. Sheer dumb luck had lead her to Riverfall unscathed. But it would be unwise to press the gods for more luck than what she had already enjoyed; she nodded her understanding of Kavala's point, allowing Ferrin to finish before she answered for the desertbred at her side.

"Desertbred, about three or four years of age by now. We have traveled from Mura together, and I have been told by many during that time that his endurance is remarkable. He must run himself almost to exhaustion in order for me to be able compel him to stop for the night. He seems loyal, for I have turned him out for the night and he has always returned by morning," she glanced at her horse fondly, reaching up to cradle his enormous head in one arm. He pressed his cheek against her, nudging, demanding something tasty. "I call him Ravnoth. I should like to learn to direct him better, as he most certainly has a mind of his own."

She stole a look at Ferrin, sensing strongly his disconnect and the swallowing of something large and dark. He wanted to finish his business and leave, she felt, impatience veiling the true source-- fear. She bit back a reply, stilled the natural reaction to console and allowed him to suffer it.

The Konti remained silent after that, and would not look again at Akela until during the moments in training when she would absolutely have to. It was difficult to ignore the force of her presence, the tang of those thoughts immaterial and thick as she watched them, meaning garbled in some code Nuavi couldn't yet break.

She knew she had been rude not to offer her name, but, given the situation, would be instructed by instinct until such a time the waters stilled and she could feel safe enough to disclose it. It seemed overcautious and even silly, but such measures had kept her alive this long, and she wasn't about to loosen her grip on them yet. Ravnoth stamped again impatiently, lifting his head with ears pricked at Kavala, aware they were waiting for her direction but eager to act on his own.
Nuavi
Player

Words: 13944
Joined roleplay: January 6th, 2011, 2:28 am
Character sheet

Postby Akela on January 13th, 2011, 9:58 pm

Given a choice, Akela would have gladly kept away from the strangers. If only they hadn't been Konti and Akalak. All she saw was Konti and Akalak day in and day out, with the occasional Kelvic thrown in for good measure. She still remembered when this one Konti entered Sanctuary and began talking about adding a bakery to the complex and making plans for it when they all barely knew her name. They were strange things, Akela reasoned, not thinking of herself as Konti even for a second.

She nodded in understanding as Kavala spoke to her in Pavi. She made an amused smirk and replied in the same language. "I don't know about our sight, but our purse definitely feels they're supposed to be here." She bit her lips as she considered her own words. Was Kavala reading too much into this or was Akela seeing too little? Strangers not wishing to divulge their names sounded more silly than ominous to her. It wasn't like the sisters knew every person alive or would even check their names against their personal blacklist.

To each his own, she supposed.

While pretty much Sightless, Akela could read body language pretty well, and her gift from Nikali only made it easier. The Akalak looked like a fish wallowing on the shore, away from his element of life. The Konti would not even look at her. What could she have seen that was so scary? There were skilled weapon users among the people of Mura, though Akela suspected this one might not be. Perhaps she had sensed some kind of killer instinct about her, unexpectedly strong for a small Konti shell. Or maybe she was just shy. Oftentimes, though, these were the telltale signs of a guilty conscience.

Regardless, Kavala's will was for her to participate in this, and Kavala's will was Akela's joy and pleasure. More than just sisters, they shared a very peculiar owner/slave relationship that Kavala didn't often want to acknowledge for what it was. To escape the dangerous clutches of Ranuri, which would have her fulfill the wishes of everyone she met, Akela had pledged herself to Kavala alone. And so, she approached the duo, slowly but surely.

"Greetings. I am Kavala's sister, Akela. I was told I might be of assistance with your training," she said in a quiet tone of voice, before breaking into a grin. "Although, no matter how good my sister is at this, she won't be able to work around those two broomsticks you just ate. The horses can feel it, you know. If they see you nervous, they think they should be, too. And they shouldn't be… right?" The smile died right there and then on her lips. Akela firmly believed in playing nice host to nice guests. Less than nice guests, not so much.

Akela
Chains that free

Words: 45104
Joined roleplay: October 1st, 2009, 11:10 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Trailblazer (1) Donor (1)

Postby Kavala on January 15th, 2011, 6:30 pm

ImageAkela was generally the life of the party in almost all regards. Her sister's whit and humor often warmed up the day and was usually delivered without an ounce of venom and instead infused with warmth giving the crowd exactly what they needed. Kavala considered it a gift that Akela ended up saying some of the most outrageous things and usually getting away with it. Kavala just wasn't sure it wouldn't be completely wasted on the two new comers in the arena. The Konti Healer wasn't exactly sure what had set them both on such edges, but they were there regardless and even Akela's humor might not bring them around. Kavala was just grateful Akela hadn't accused the said broomsticks of beings shoved somewhere else unpleasant rather than just swallowed. A wry but grateful smile was tossed Akela's way by her younger Konti sister.

Kavala left Akela standing, and slipped under a rail to enter the arena. She approached the Leopardbred first and carefully did a quick examination. Then, unexpectedly, she reached up and with the removal of a single buckle, slide his headstall off his head and then reached down to remove his girth. Tossing the bridle over the saddle, Kavala heaved the whole mess of tack off the animal and carried it to the side to set it over the rail. From off the rail a secondary piece of tack was picked up and tossed over her shoulder before she walked back over to the stallion. It was remarkable that both mounts were behaving, the two stallions standing side by side.

Kavala then gave the Leopardbred a more thorough examination. His topline was carefully stroked in which she touched each vertebra and picked up his legs. Hooves were picked out and carefully examined. His neck and chest were touched, with pale scaled hands running down his flanks. Kavala even took the time to examine his genitals and the sheath that protected his shaft, making sure there was no soreness or swelling common to stallions who's owners failed to keep their folds clean. Nodding as she finished, she caught the Akalak's eyes and gave him her approval. "He's a fine animal. Does he have a name?" She asked, then slung the piece of tack over his shoulders that she seemed to think was going to replace the saddle and bridal both. A smooth blanket in black was spread out over his back then a yvas was added. It was a girth of shorts with a built in breast collar. At the top was a grippable set of handles and rings where gear could be fastened to the horse without hindering it. As she tacked the horse up in its new gear, she carefully explained how to do so to Ferrin.

"Saddles and bridals are crutches. They are heavy and teach the horse and rider bad habits. Your mounts will need to listen to you and you'll need your hands free of reins so you can hold weapons or whatever else it is you carry. They will both like you a great deal more if you switch to this type of gear. The Drykas, out on the grasslands use them." Kavala said, before moving to the desertbred who got equal treatment, his bridle and saddle removed and tack replaced, inspected, and pronounced a nice animal.

"Now, remove the tack and put it back on once more while I go get Akela something to ride while we train." Kavala said, and slipped under the rail again. She returned in only moments, two horses following at her heels like dogs. One was a small buckskin strider stallion who had only a yvas on and the second was a burnished gold strider mare with a liquid mane of the same color who looked like she'd be pure trouble in an arena full of three stallions.

But, as Kavala opened the gate and let the two new horses into the large structure, everyone behaved themselves. Kavala put the gold mare in line with the two stallions, but the buckskin followed her to the front of the row.

"Now, Akela you are going to be bored for a while, but since you've gotten fat and lazy and I haven't seen your ass on a horse for almost two seasons, you should probably get some practice in yourself. This is Spitfire. You two should get along just fine."
Akela didn't have an ounce of fat on her of course, but it was clearly becoming evident that both sisters had an unusual way of showing love to each other. Kavala's grin, perhaps unbeknown to the newcomers, flowed across her face because at that moment, her entire and utter being simply wanted Akela to join in the practice and perhaps learn something new.

Kavala turned Windsong so that the little stallion was clearly visible to all three riders. "This is Windsong. We've been together for a while now and he's as good as any to demonstrate how a horse and rider bond should go. Watch closely and I'll show you how to mount." Kavala said. She reached up, grasped the wrapped handle towards the very top of the Yvas on Windsong and with a leap straight up, laid her belly carefully across the horse's back, swung her leg over, then slid forward sitting up until she was perfectly balanced between his whither.

"You won't always have tack. You won't always be able to rely on a saddle which is just a big crutch anyhow. You need to learn to mount unassisted and safely both for you and the horse. Do it like I've shown you and you should be able to manage. By the end of our training in the next few days, I'll be expecting you to use your horses' mane as a handle and get up unassisted without even a yvas." Kavala said, then without seemingly moving, the little strider stallion started walking a circle around the group.

"Alright, mount up. If you bring weapons to riding practice, make sure you mount on the side where you won't be dragging your blades across your horse's back. That means from the left for you, Akela." Kavala said, shifting her weight on Windsong slightly and watching each person closely.

yvas :

Kavala turned, eyes on Nauvi, and watched her especially closely. "It's incredibly important for you, Konti, to be able to do this fluidly and quickly. You cannot stand and fight against most enemies out on the Grass and indeed all around us. A horse will become your lifeline and your safeguard. He's a desertbred so Ravnoth can keep you safe, but you owe it to him to learn enough about him to make his job doing so as easy as possible. That's why we are here." She said, waiting until all three had mounted.

"Now, sitting a horse. If you sit too far forward like this...."
Kavala scooted forward on Windsong to show them what crowding his withers looked like. "... you risk interfering with their shoulder's movements. We call the shoulders on a horse their withers. If you slide too far back, you are putting unusually harsh weight on their lower spine and your legs will be gripping thumping their kidneys painfully." She added, sliding backwarks until Windsong snorted his displeasure, laid his ears back and swiveled his head around to give Kavala a disgusted look. "That's why riding double is not a good idea unless its an emergency. Find the place on your horses back that feels perfect, behind the withers in front of the hips, there'll be a magic spot. You'll feel it when your rump settles into it." She instructed, then let her legs fall down and gently gip Windsong's torso.

"Lets straight, hands lightly on your thighs though you can reach out and hold their mane or the handles on your yvas if you feel it makes you more secure. Gently grip their sides, but do not press in and do not let your legs just dangle. Now, visualize someone tying a string around your spine, inside, about where your belly button is. Then visualize the string sliding upwards through your torso and out the top of your head like a marionette doll. Feel that invisible imaginary string go tight and lift your body up into a straight line. Memorize how that makes your back feel, how less or more its curved, where your shoulders are... keeping that imaginary string taught the whole time."
She instructed.

Kavala kept riding Windsong around, checking their seats. When satisfied, she nodded. "Now, ask your horse for a walk simply by shifting your weight forward and thinking 'walk' . If they do not step out immediately, click once with your tongue and ask them for a walk verbally." Kavala said. Akela's little mare had her ears flattened and was looking exceedingly stubborn and almost as if she was going to bite the Konti even though as of yet she hadn't offered too.

"Now, keeping your strings taught, I want you to relax your hips. Let them roll slightly with the gait of your horse so that you find your own motion as the animals walk. This will settle them down considerably for if your flexing on their back as they walk, it smooths out their ride and they don't get nearly as annoyed as they could be with carrying a rider." Kavala said. She rode among them, weaving, as they walked their horses forward. She let her hands fall to her hips and showed them the figure eight motion of how she let her hips roll with the steps of the little stallion she rode.

"Now... first things first. I'll go ahead and teach you how to steer, stop, and switch gaits with your horses... then we'll move on to one of the most important things you'll ever learn... and that's falling safely from a horse. Once we've learned how to get off in a hurry without getting hurt, I'll run you through the gaits your horse has moving on from a walk, trot, into a canter and finally we'll be galloping in a few days and actually dismounting at a gallop. In about three days, we'll start making Akela earn her bread by trying to unhorse you deliberately." Kavala said, giving them a foreshadowing of what was to come.

"After each lesson we'll talk about horsemanship: Your horses care, health, emergency treatments, and how to spot illness and soundness both. Any questions?" Kavala asked, giving this little lecture as they all walked around the arena perched on their horses practicing the correct 'seat' to ride with.

The Sanctuary The Sanctuary Forum Riverfall The Cytali
Reverie Isle Wolf Creek Training Course
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala
I am more than the sum of my parts.

Words: 3295757
Joined roleplay: October 25th, 2009, 1:46 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 17
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Master Merchant (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (2) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Cayenne on July 2nd, 2011, 12:42 am

I would have liked to have seen this continue!

Ferrin
Lore: Use of Yvas

Nuavi
Lore: Sullenness of Akalaks
Lore: Use of Yvas

Akela
Intimidation: 1 XP
Lore: Sensing Trouble in Sanctuary

Kavala:
Riding: 2 XP
Teaching: 2 XP
Rhetoric: 1 XP