A Date Among The...Date Palms? [Tazrae]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Syka is a new settlement of primarily humans on the east coast of Falyndar opposite of Riverfall on The Suvan Sea. [Syka Codex]

Moderator: Gossamer

Postby Alric Lysane on June 10th, 2022, 2:47 pm

6th Summer 522 AV – Garden Beach

Summer had started in a much better fashion than Spring had, indeed better than any season that he could remember. That thought amused him slightly as he moved from the bed to one of the chairs after tugging on some fresh clothing. He had been thinking that most seasons of late, and for good reason. Had he been asked a year ago if he thought he’d be where he was now – across the world, living in a quite fancy tent set up with a beautiful woman he definitely would have suspected the speaker was trying to sell him some drugs, or was mad. He frowned slightly at the now empty bed, blowing into the pipe gifted by Laviku to make sure that it was clear as he mused thoughtfully, ankles crossed upon the footrest before him.

Tazrae was an early riser since he had arrived in Syka she had been…restless. Perhaps the better word was concerned…fearful in some ways. He remembered their conversations now, felt a small twitch of sadness as their discussion of monsters and their more frightening aspects rippled into his mind’s eye. In some ways they were a strange pairing – she had always been so…focused, always pushing and wanting to do more, something else, doing it the correct way. He was more relaxed, and he had no doubt that that would, and had, probably infuriate her. He could focus on things, pour all of his attention into them, as well as anyone but he was…perhaps somewhat directionless. Yet he liked that, it meant he could enjoy things without worrying too much, every moment of every day, about whether Sran’tuka was right around the next corner.

“Then again…maybe that’s a good thing…better to be able to cover each other’s…issues” he muttered to himself as he used a lantern to light his pipe and inhaled the first puff with a relaxed sense of satisfaction.

The gods knew he had enough of his own, he thought as he supressed a shudder and pushed back the darker memories of the season just passed, closing his eyes hard and at length before taking a deep breath and continuing to puff away. Casting his gaze about the pavilion he found himself still admiring it despite it growing familiarity. It was comfortable yet down to earth in many ways, fashionably plush in the right places and still as yet untamed in others. He grinned around the stem of his pipe as he watched a group of younger Ixam…a Lounge he seemed to remember…playing with each other – mock attacking each other and rolling about, testing each other’s speed and strength. He hummed to himself, spying a tin he had missed upon the table next to him and pulling it towards him.

Flipping it open he saw that it was crammed with tobacco, a different one from his usual Blue Vision by the smell. It was still moist too, well preserved and just the right texture. He didn’t think Taz had taken up smoking, or chewing, tobacco and so he took a few moments to admire the craftmanship of the design upon the silver case, fingers running across it and the conclusion came to him that she must have gotten it as a gift for him. He smiled and slipped it into one of the pouches at his belt and finished the rest of his current pipe, making sure it was clear and the ash was tapped out into the outside before putting the pipe away and stretching, enjoying the feel of the morning sun upon his body. He wanted to do something different this day, preferably with the one had had come so far to be with, and the suspicion that it would do them both a world of good tugged at him, underneath all of the other thoughts.

“Probably at the Protea, feels like early morning…means breakfast and the other chores…hmm…perhaps a day away might entice…a date” he mused to himself as he returned to the interior, set about taking Zhyad and his other weapons from the rack and strapping them about his person, “no idea what there is to do around here…wait…wasn’t there a turtle place they were talking about at the bar that once? Something about a pool and some god or other?” he asked himself, not quite able to remember but also certain, as he unsheathed Zhyad and not for the first time gazed upon it affectionately, running his fingers along the blade, that Taz would probably know somewhere better than he could glean from gossips.

He began the walk towards the Protea once he had spent a few more chimes trying to get the blade to talk, to reveal itself, and getting nothing in return – he had heard nothing from it since that first time it had seemed to come through so clear. Had taken him out for a while too, teaching him another lesson in caution about his magic. He could feel the awakening that the book had spoken about just at the edge of his senses, he had come close that first time but had not truly been unlocked inside…though he could feel…something deep down. He pushed the thoughts aside as he paces across the stands, wondering what Taz was up to and whether he could catch her by surprise with a hug from behind or something similar.

Once he arrived it was clear she was still doing things, cleaning by the looks of it by the cloth in her hands and the thorough way it was sweeping over the counter before her. Stepping through into the interior he leant against a support beam and just watched her with a small smile across his lips, taking in the sight of her. She had her back to him and after a few precious moments he couldn't resist the mischief and stepped forwards as quietly as he could, slipping his arms around her and pulling her close, kissing her cheek from behind.

"Busy morning I see," he said into her ear, "I wonder if I could steal you from this place for a while? I hear there's a turtle cove or some such...might be a nice place for us to send some time...just us? I mean, only if you really...wanted...to" she would hear the mischeivous smile in his words.

Words - 1055

~ Thanks to Gossamer/Shiress for post Boxcodes ~
Alric Lysane
Carry On My Wayward Son

Words: 1010203
Joined roleplay: October 29th, 2021, 5:41 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Tazrae on June 14th, 2022, 4:44 am

Since the spring had turned to summer, Tazrae felt like she was living in a waking dream. There was no other way to explain it. Happiness had always been so elusive to her, yet something she wanted with a passion. Tazrae craved stability, security, and happiness to the point it was something she chased and hoped and dreamed about, but nothing she’d experienced first-hand. Last season had made her realize how well she’d carved that out for herself, and how much she missed it.

Prior to the changing of the year, there’d just been one thing missing from Syka. And in Fall of 521 into Winter of, that one thing that had been missing had somehow been found, though elsewhere. Love was a strange thing, something Tazrae had known could be possible but had never thought would be something she could realize. She’d shied away from men and commitments, but it had found its way to her anyhow. And once she’d found felt the spark that had fanned into a fire within her, she’d lived a double life, only half alive here in Syka and half-alive in The Outpost.

She’d made a home here. But it hadn’t been truly ‘home’. Since Alric had dropped out of the sky on the back of a Wind Eagle, her two worlds and two lives had tangled and fused in a way that she was desperately in need of and terrified to lose. Taz had never been a good sleeper. Her rest came in the afternoons before the dinner rush but after breakfast and lunch prep. She roamed at night, far and wide, visiting her otherworldly friends and exploring the length and width of The Maw or simply staring at the sea watching the stars swing overhead. Much of that time had consisted of thoughts of him… of Alric. A lot of it had been a denial of what she knew was growing within her. She had guilt for what her Grandfather had done… and guilt for other things. Alric had said things that made her cautious and uncertain.

But now… now her sheets that had always smelled of the sea and hatchling Ixam… smelled of him. Taz didn’t have to go back to the T&T and steal one of his dirty shirts to help her sleep. Alric was everywhere now to the point that sometimes she just stopped and stared at a footprint in the sand or soil of Garden Beach and knew it for his. Sometimes just that simple sight brought tears to her eyes, and she blinked furiously away almost in denial that it affected her so much.

But it did. He was here.

And even though she had been slow to relax, slow to take full nights curled against him, she revolved around him anyhow. She did her work, caretaking at the Inn and playing the hostess, but she wandered still never ranging far from where he was… keeping quiet tabs and careful watch when she wasn’t tied to the Inn.

Tazrae didn’t know how to strike a balance between wanting to be around him all the time and not smothering him. She didn’t know if she needed to give him space or crowd him, and there had yet to be time to find the between. She wanted to let him know a thousand ways how much his being there meant to her, but when he arrived, he could barely remember her day-to-day.

But six days… for six days now… he remembered everything. The thought made her smile softly as she finished cleaning up from the lunch prep which was all in the icebox in the form of an abundance of fresh-made sandwiches, a huge bowl of fresh fruit, and a large crock filled with fresh baked cookies.

The counter just needed a few more swipes to make it clean, then she could pick what to do next… ranging up and down the beach, napping the afternoon away… or finding him. It wasn’t a hard choice. Him.

A change in the sea breeze signaled something … a change; a presence. Taz was just about to turn around when warm arms encircled her. A smile lit up her face as he pulled her backward, close, his warm lips caressing her cheek as he whispered in her ear.

Taz was dressed in a cropped top that lightly covered her breasts along with a sari that wrapped around her hips and was held in place by a pin that looked like a decorative mussurana. Her midriff was bare and her muscles taught as she arched her back against Alric so his arms touched her unobscured skin. She was barefoot but wore the usual jewelry and her wild curls loose. When he issued his invite, she laughed and glanced at him over her shoulder – as much of him as she could see being so close.

“You don’t even have to ask. Sure, I’ll go with you. I just finished here. What did you have in mind? Do I need to bring anything?” She asked, happy to have time away with him… time to explore the world around them. She had all she really needed here in the form of her backpack which was loaded with everything but the kitchen sink. Turtle cove didn’t even require shoes, come to think of it which made her smile even brighter. She folded her towel in a neat little two-motion flick of her wrist and left it on the counter.

“I’ll never not … want to.” She told him, turning in his arms so she could wrap her own around him. Then she laid her forehead against his and smiled against his lips. “What are we doing still standing here?” She said, that smile against his lips turning wicked.

Words: 966
"A mark of an open mind is being more committed to your curiosity than your conviction.
The goal of learning is not to shield old views against new facts, but to revise old views with new facts.
Ideas are possibilities to explore, not certainties to defend."

Garden Beach Syka The Protea Inn

"Listen to the wind, it talks. Listen to the silence, it speaks. Listen to your heart, it knows."
Tazrae
Be savage, not average.

Words: 1916653
Joined roleplay: May 3rd, 2020, 2:02 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Syka Seasonal Challenge (1)

Postby Alric Lysane on June 27th, 2022, 5:50 pm

“Only yourself, unless you really wanted to bring anything else. I’m not sure but it didn’t sound like it was so far away as we would starve…though you would know better I’d think,” he smiled into her ear, enjoying the trace of fingers across her skin for a few moments, “besides, from what I remember I’d be surprised if you weren’t carrying around a shelter with food, water and fuel inside your pack…in case we get hopelessly lost an unable to return to the Commons quickly…what a tragedy that would be, no?” he said, amusement trickling through his voice.

Te beginning of Summer had been filled with stolen caresses and kisses, and more intimacy than he could remember ever having. Not all of it physical either, the fact that they were both in the same place still took some getting used to and though her arched back and exposed flesh called to him of some things, he was beginning to realise that their stolen times in the Outpost had been mere fragments of what it was possible to share with someone, and no doubt there was much more to learn also, she was a deep and complicated woman despite whether she said she was a simple innkeeper or not.

“Is that so? Lucky me,” he pulled her closer as their lips met and knew she was going to smile in the middle before she did, he did like her more mischievous side, “I still say you could do better, but I’m not going to complain. As for what we are doing here…good point” he said, his own mischievous grin spreading across his lips just before he picked her up and began striding towards the door, chuckling as he did so.

He put her down as they stepped into the full light of the day, Syna’s rays warm and the humidity still more than he was used to, sapping his strength at times and so making it likely impossible for him to carry her all the way down towards the Commons. From where they stood for a few moments, his arm around her shoulder, the distant figures that busied themselves with whatever tasks they were about, were visible. Taking a deep breath and exhaling with some satisfaction he could feel so much potential in Syka. Even though, at times, the lack of walls and closeness of both building and people was strangely terrifying, there still was much in Syka that he enjoyed – though there would always be one person he enjoyed the most.

“I heard about the Turtle Cove from one of the…Rangers is it? Talked about a few things, trying to get to know people. I was surprised that they didn’t have their own place. Even the gangs in Sunberth had their own training places, drinking and…fun places. Syka is strange to me in many ways…but I was thinking that perhaps some things I could bring with me…in different forms. It got me to thinking, about what it is I might actually do here. I mean I came to no conclusions, but it was nice to think about…future. Never really got around to it before” he squeezed her shoulder and guided them towards the path that would eventually lead them to the Commons – that was probably the last guidance he could given seeing as she knew the jungle and its places far better than he.

“Syka is precious, so many young children with futures that could be free of…darker things…Rhysol Priests aside. Your stories were beautiful, but actually being here and seeing it for myself, with you, I can see why defending it, growing it and contributing to it is so important. I only hope that I can find a way of doing so that is…suitable,” he flashed a wry smile briefly before looking at her with a warm gaze, “I should have come sooner. I wish I had, I would have been there for you when…well just been there”

“Still…Turtle Cove…I assume you know where it is? I ask because I have no idea, and apparently I might die if I leave the Commons proper. That was very clearly pointed out to me. So…I am in need of a guide, I think I know one of the best ones” he said, flattery for the enjoyment of flattering her, noting that they had already managed to step into the Commons – or at least the edge of it closest to the Protea.

As they walked faces became closer, some more familiar than others but all of them friendly and a smattering of raised eyebrows and grins at seeing their closeness, though all of them in a warm way as far as he could tell. It would have brought a slight blush to his skin were it not already pink from Syna’s rays. Not to mention he didn’t care what others thought, he was happy either way.

Words - 815

~ Thanks to Gossamer/Shiress for post Boxcodes ~
Alric Lysane
Carry On My Wayward Son

Words: 1010203
Joined roleplay: October 29th, 2021, 5:41 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 2

Postby Tazrae on June 30th, 2022, 5:33 am

Taz smiled at Alric, laughing lightly. “There’s food, water, and shelter all around us. I don’t need to carry that sort of thing in a backpack.” She added, knowing this little excursion could very well demonstrate that fact. “I do have some useful things in here though.” Taz added, fingering her backpack fondly. It was one of her favorite possessions, actually. And he was right, it had things that would help her survive. Half that usefulness equated to waterproof things like tarps or changes of clothing to keep her feet warm and dry in wet weather. But today, she didn’t much care about that. She wasn’t going to bother with shoes either. Taz didn’t actually like to think about food away from The Protea. Her world centered around making beds, doing guest laundry, and planning or preparing meals. She had to think ahead always and getting away from the Inn, her unspoken rule was to _not_ plan. To just live… let the jungle guide her… let the wind blow her one way or another. But she didn’t exactly know how to convey that to Alric. So, she didn’t try. She just smiled instead.

The Innkeeper had gotten out of the habit of communication. She had it ingrained last season that telling anyone anything – sharing words - was useless and fleeting, so she tended to skip it altogether. Tazrae was quieter now, more reserved, still quick to smile, but not nearly as fast to speak. A good example was the chalk board menu in the gathering room at the Inn, which she often had to be reminded to write out what food would be offered when for the guests in her neat white handwriting. They wanted to know what to look forward too or whether to seek food elsewhere for the meals that were upcoming.

The spring had changed her in profound ways. She used to be afraid of being alone, feeling abandoned, with her own thoughts and her own feelings. Now she was simply used to living like that and went quietly about her work far more reserved than she’d been before. And rather than take comfort in the company of people, she’d learned to take comfort in the wilds and its denizens. With the Nura and her new-found abilities, there was far more stability in her life than she’d ever enjoyed before. And she’d learned quickly, that the wilds were far more dependable than people. People were erratic, fleeting, and had lives of their own and agendas made up of their own desires, less often taking into account the needs of others. Taz had simply learned to fulfill her needs elsewhere.

The wilds were always there. So too where the birds, the Ixam, even the Old Ones who were always glad for company. They’d persisted through time. They were safe, stable, and as solid as bedrock. Tazrae could seek them out at any time, find one or all of them, and linger as long as she liked speaking a universal language that they all enjoyed. It was a long-term comfort to her, having the wilds all around. It sang to her, called to her, and she didn’t mind sharing it with Alric if that’s what he wanted.

Alric being in Syka was a change for her. She enjoyed his company, the sense of connection with another person, and having Lys around to watch over. And she did watch for the girl, worry about her future, and wonder what the girls odd humor concealed in the damages her history had wrought on her. She enjoyed the family that had seemed to come with Alric’s arrival and his memories returning.

And yes, there was intimacy, but for Tazrae it was surface level only so far. She was still learning who she’d become, and who he actually was here in Syka as defined by the jungle. They exchanged kisses and caresses and had spent six days so far together off and on. Taz still roamed at night, taking her rest in the heat of the afternoons, and left him the pavilion so he had a comfortable solid place of his own. It was important for her that he have his space, make his own choices, and settle in while the Sykans around them absorbed all that had happened. She still trained in secret, sometimes with an Old One in magic, sometimes with Gracelin, still pushing herself; still driven. And everyone so far had allowed her that space.

But Alric wanted to roam? Taz was fine with that.

But she did pause to see what he was wearing and to assess his weapons. They looked good, if not a bit of overkill, but who knew what they’d run across in the Settlement? He was right to pack for the worst. Her backpack had her normal machete and hatchet strapped to its outside. Her quiver was inside it, and her compound longbow was nestled in its charm. Sweet Refrain was left behind. Taz was still contemplating the blade and Tegan’s letter. She’d do as he instructed soon, perhaps in a day or two, but there’d been so many changes lately the Innkeeper wasn’t sure she was ready for yet another one. She was, however, ready if she needed anything defensive, so she wasn’t about to call him on his weapons. Taz just liked moving light, quickly, and not being encumbered by what she packed.

When he pulled her close, she did smile against his kiss. His words turned her smile to a slight frown, but she didn’t let it linger. Then she gasped and laughed out loud as he hauled her up in his arms and carried her towards the door. Work, evidently, was over for the time being. Taz was fine with that. At his words, she simply shook her head, still being carried aloft. He believed what he said when he said it. She could counter it all day long and it wouldn’t change his mind. Could she do better? It didn’t matter. What mattered was what she wanted. Taz tried not to want more than she was offered, determined to take nothing and demand nothing that wasn’t freely given.

Alric sat her down at the edge of the sunlight, and Taz tipped her head up to the sun for a moment, glad to see it. To live in Syka was to worship the sun and the rain in equal measures, and she was glad when both was present. Her fresh water supply both to the Inn and to the Pavilion depended upon the rain. And the sun brought a warmth she enjoyed year-round. Then Alric spoke, stealing her attention back to him. She tilted her head to listen to him, almost Ixam-like, as he spoke of Turtle Cove and at the same time the Rangers not having a place of their own. They walked as Alric talked, Tazrae nodding at his words. Were they headed there then? Towards the commons, for certain, though Tazrae had never been to Turtle Cove as such... not as the name it had been given. The reference could be to any of the places along the coast from Swing Beach to Treasure Point. She’d ranged up and down the coast, so the odds are she’d visited it before not having known its name.

Tazrae nodded to his words about the children. “I’m glad James brought them. I wasn’t sure what Syka was missing, but it was indeed missing something, before they came. They’ve started a new chapter, for sure.” She interjected. “I’m slowly getting to know a few of them. I don’t think they’ve had easy lives and are suspicious of anything that seems too good to be true.” She said, her tone sad.

Alric’s urge to find a place, contribute to Syka, and fit in had Tazrae in an uncomfortable position. She wanted him to be welcome, to love the place as much as she did, and come to feel it was home. But she’d been and still was deeply worried that he hadn’t come for the right reasons and that it’s drastic change from Sunberth’s streets would prove to be something he wasn’t happy about. Taz still knew very little of Alric’s day to day doings in Sunberth. All she really knew is that he’d been a guard to a pleasure house there, and she could only imagine what a life like that consisted of. She imagined sophisticated women, beautiful and talented at pleasure rubbing elbows with him day to day. Here? There wasn’t even a single prostitute that she knew of. And there certainly wasn’t anything that needed a full-time guard.

“All those things are important to me… defending, growing, and contributing to Syka.” She said softly, hoping she was doing so in those regards. She never talked about the thing that had happened to her the day everyone was at the beach dealing with the curses. She should have been there, helping, doing her part. In the end, everything had worked out, but Tazrae felt quite a bit of guilt for not having been present and on the front lines when Syka had needed her defenders. “I think you came just in time.” She added, knowing Alric had been there, along with everyone else who was important in the settlement.

“I actually have no idea which place is Turtle Cove. I’ve been up the entire coast from Swing Beach to Treasure Point and well beyond that, but I have no idea which little bit of it someone decided to give a name to. There are a lot of sea turtles in all the nooks and crannies, and I can think of several places that might be considered ‘coves’.” She admitted with a grin that was somewhat self-depreciating. It wasn’t something Tazrae had given a thought too before. “But, we can look for it certainly. I’ll be glad to help.” She added, not wanting to discourage him, but not liking the compliment either. He had no idea of her ability to guide or not guide him around Syka.

“You won’t die if you leave the Commons. Anywhere along the Cobbled Pathway is fairly safe… as is the offshoot trails that are marked with the little signs Randal makes. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if someone has named one of the coves ‘Turtle Cove’ then there will be a new sign and a trail to the place off the Cobbled Pathway. You can range all the way south to Treasure Point and its beach and all the way north to the Swine Swells and be fairly safe along the cobbles. Just don’t range into the jungle on either side without someone with you who knows what they are doing.” She explained, then tossed in for good measure. “There are also places off the Commons that are safe to visit… workshops, the storm shelter, even the Dovecote. Have you found the one here yet? I know you’ll want to go back to The Outpost regularly.” She said pausing before they headed south on the road out of town.

There was evidence of new builds. Stu’s place had company in the form of a newly built house next to his property on its own. Rumor had it a jewelry store was going in there. But Taz had also heard tales of a florist, which was pretty funny considering flowers grew wild everywhere hear.

“Would you like a tour of the place before we try and find the cove?” She asked, knowing she could take him to all the places off the Commons and then all the places off the Cobbled Pathway until they found Turtle Cove. Then she started noticing people watching them intently, some with raised eyebrows and odd expressions. Tazrae was not used to attention of any kind, especially after last season. It made her extremely uncomfortable to the point she stuffed her hands in her shorts pocket after absently trying to smooth down a curl that had chosen to remain untamed during her endeavor to control her hair in the name of keeping it out of the cooking. She was wearing moss green isuas shorts, an isuas tank of a brilliant sunny yellow that was dyed orange towards the bottom to create a rather ombre affect. Barefoot, and carrying only her backpack, Tazrae didn’t seem overburdened nor was dressed flamboyantly enough to attract attention.

She muttered under her breath something in regards to ‘what are they staring at’… before she paused, and then set off at a brisk pace southward, not wanting to stick around if people were going to grin and stare. “I’ll show you the places south. Less people...” She said abruptly, her gait moving into a light trot that ate the ground up. It was one of her Ixam adapted paces, allowing her to travel without growing too winded to quickly. “You’ll like some of them.” She said, hoping it was true.

Taz would stop by the Panacea first…. no wait… scratch that. She didn’t want to run into Kami. Things were awkward between the sisters who were virtual strangers to each other. Taz had no idea of how to approach Kami and tell her she wanted to be in Kami’s life. And so far Kami hadn’t sought her out either. The same was true of Bree. So far the Ixam hadn’t put in an appearance back around The Protea, nor had she been spotted on Garden Beach. Taz was hopeful she was alright, but hadn’t rested well since she realized the Ixam hadn’t been around lately… and Taz had no idea of where to go looking.

No, best avoid the Panacea. She’d point out the turn to the Panacea, and actually, take Alric out to the Tar Pits which were interesting and might be something he’d enjoy seeing. “I’ll show you where the Panacea is… that’s our healing place. Then I’ll take you to see the Tar Pits if we haven’t found Turtle Cove before then.” She added knowing it was further down the beach and they likely could take in most of the sights before the new location was either found. Taz could even take Alric by to meet Gracelin if he was so inclined.

Actively letting her charm and her armband work, Taz knew the dangers were minimal to run into snakes at the moment. But she’d get a warning anyhow at least one of her magic items. Barefooted was always her preferred method of travel she wasn’t jungle bound. And Alric’s boots would keep him safe.

Words: 2421
"A mark of an open mind is being more committed to your curiosity than your conviction.
The goal of learning is not to shield old views against new facts, but to revise old views with new facts.
Ideas are possibilities to explore, not certainties to defend."

Garden Beach Syka The Protea Inn

"Listen to the wind, it talks. Listen to the silence, it speaks. Listen to your heart, it knows."
Tazrae
Be savage, not average.

Words: 1916653
Joined roleplay: May 3rd, 2020, 2:02 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Syka Seasonal Challenge (1)