Closed Is That The Margaritas Talking?

Tazrae and Shiress get to know each other.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Syka is a new settlement of primarily humans on the east coast of Falyndar opposite of Riverfall on The Suvan Sea. [Syka Codex]

Moderator: Gossamer

Is That The Margaritas Talking?

Postby Tazrae on September 23rd, 2022, 3:19 pm

Timestamp: 3rd of Fall, 522 A.V.

There were questions on her mind, ones she needed to put to rest in order to move on with her life. So Taz waited until after the lunch crowd was gone and packed some goodies to take over to the new two-story structure by the Tidepool Bar. Her basket was filled with fruit jellies and jams, a wide variety, and a selection of scones to use them on. There was also a small crock of butter flavored with herbs.

More importantly, there was a bottle of tequila, salt, strawberry puree, and a few other things to make up a decent margarita... including the glasses. Taz wasn't sure if Shiress was up for a drink midday or not, but she certainly was.

It was looped over her arm and she started out from the Protea to walk to the Bangles and Blooms building. Taz hadn’t been to the new shop yet. It was interesting that Shade had built it as a home with a shop in it. She’d heard Nykans did that a lot in their east coast city. She’d overheard him saying as much in the Commons to someone who asked. Taz preferred to keep her life separate. She needed space away from the Inn because she spent so much time there.

She needed quiet away from the guests, the comings and goings, and even away from her friends. Which was one of the reasons she needed to talk to Shiress, if the lady doctor had time to see her.

Even as she walked, Taz resisted the urge to look over her shoulder or look up. She’d had the worst feeling that she was being followed, stalked even, since her and Rhydian had come out of the jungle. Tazrae knew what they’d seen there, done there, but she still hadn’t gotten over it. Her silences had grown deeper, her need for solitude had grown needier, which was why this talk with Shiress was so important. Glancing around – not up – Taz worked her way down the cobbled pathway, across The Commons, and further on until she reached the southern cobbled walkway. She headed down past the bar and took the left towards the beach to the large sprawling building.

Taz crossed what passed for a yard, walked up the shop steps, and walked around the porch. “Shiress… are you here?” Taz asked, peeking in trying not to intrude. People came and went from The Protea, walking in when they wanted too and leaving as they came. Tazrae felt differently about a private residence though. She wouldn’t intrude unless Shiress was home and invited her in.

There was so much on her mind. She had so many questions. The Innkeeper only hoped Shiress would be willing to answer her questions. Taz didn’t know the doctor well, but she hoped the woman would be willing to talk.
"A mark of an open mind is being more committed to your curiosity than your conviction.
The goal of learning is not to shield old views against new facts, but to revise old views with new facts.
Ideas are possibilities to explore, not certainties to defend."

Garden Beach Syka The Protea Inn

"Listen to the wind, it talks. Listen to the silence, it speaks. Listen to your heart, it knows."
Tazrae
Be savage, not average.

Words: 1916653
Joined roleplay: May 3rd, 2020, 2:02 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Syka Seasonal Challenge (1)

Postby Shiress on September 25th, 2022, 6:48 pm

"Whatcha drawin', mommy?"

Shiress lifted her head from its resting spot on her upturned hand and glanced over at Ian as the little boy climbed into the chair next to hers at the table. She smiled, returning her eyes to the paper with a sigh. "it's the new school for Syka," she frowned, "or, well, it's supposed to be, but your mommy is not very good at drawing."

Shiress had gone to the Founders several days earlier, offering the idea of a school for the Children. The Founders had loved the idea, always eager to better the community for their citizens, but what Shiress hadn't prepared herself for was the Founders placing her in charge of designing the school. It made sense, though, seeing as it was her idea, but there wasn't an artistic bone in the doctor's body, and Shiress was struggling.

So far, she had managed to draw out a large square with a line down the middle, dividing it in two for the floor plan. One side for the school and the other for the childcare, or daycare, as the Founders had called it.

Ian leaned closer to get a better look, then stabbed a chubby finger at the paper beside the large square, "You should make this the play place 'cause little kids needs to play when they take a break from learning stuff."

Shiress chuckled and colored in a smaller, rectangular area beside the larger square, then labeled it "play area," much to Ian's satisfaction if the wide smile on the little boy's face was anything to go by. The grinning boy climbed down from the table, gathered up his colored wax sticks, then climbed back into the chair, eyes wide and expectant as he asked, "can I color it for you?" Shiress slid the paper across the table but stopped short, waiting for Ian to lift his gaze to hers, "neatly," she said, waiting for the boy to nod before allowing him to take the drawing.

The sound of footsteps came from the front of the house, much too soft to be Shade's heavy booted stride. Frowning, Shiress stood from the table and stepped into the living room just as a gentle, female voice called out her name. Seeing the innkeeper standing in the doorway, Shiress immediately brightened, "Tazrae!" she smiled, crossing the floor, "please come in! It's so good to see you again."

The doctor's smile faded slightly, fearing the young innkeeper had come seeking medical attention, "Are you well? You're not sick or hurt, are you?" she asked suddenly concerned, gaze intense as it slid over the basket then on to scrutinize Tazrae's slender form for any indication that all was not well, hand gentle on the innkeeper's shoulder.
Moonlight drowns out all but the brightest stars

Character sheet
Shiress
Every path has a few puddles

Words: 918381
Joined roleplay: January 25th, 2013, 7:01 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (2) Mizahar Grader (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Tazrae on September 27th, 2022, 2:48 am

“Hey.” Tazrae said with a smile. “I brought a housewarming gift for you.” She said, brandishing the basket. “Scones, a bunch of Sykan jellies and jams, flavored butter… and things to make margaritas with. They are these tequila drinks that are a divine mix of either citrus and alcohol… only I brought strawberry puree to make ours with. I even tossed in the glasses.” She said, pausing, and lifting the basket with a big fake smile plastered on her face. “An icebreaker… really. I wanted to talk to you.” She said, thrusting the basket into Shiress’ arms.

“I’m fine… I’m not sick, hurt or… no well… its just… I’ve been lonely!” She burst out awkwardly. Taz wasn’t expecting to tell Shiress that, at least not all at once, but she was incredibly nervous approaching the other woman. She’d thought about subterfuge, playing down her real reasons for a visit, but what use was that really? She might as well tell the truth and get the true purpose of her visit out in the open. She’d spent more time recently running wild than she had interacting with people. It made close relationships hard, and made her struggle communicating her needs.

“That’s hard to admit, but its true. And I found myself packing this basket as an excuse to come over to visit you and find out what its like to be a mother. This is the most awkward conversation ever because obviously there’s no father in the picture, but then I thought of the orphan kids and maybe one of them would like to live with me. I can’t keep roaming as an Ixam and keeping company with reptiles exclusively. It keeps changing me… and not in the best way. So I packed you that basket as an excuse to come over and hope you’d sit down and tell me all the good and bad parts of being a parent and ask you if you thought it was something for me?” She said, glancing around. She’d melt into a tiny puddle of shame if anyone actually overheard her.

“There are those orphans.. and you know them pretty well since you doctor and watch them. I didn’t know if any of them would be a good fit.” She said, standing on the deck of Bangles and Blooms, feeling awkward as hell about what she was saying to Shiress. “So can I interest you in a trade? Sweets for information?” She asked, shifting from one leg to another still feeling strange.

"What do you say?" She said, holding up the bottle in a weird version of "I come in peace.". "Can I come in and talk?" She asked again, offering Shiress a deeper more meaningful smile this time.
Last edited by Tazrae on November 1st, 2022, 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A mark of an open mind is being more committed to your curiosity than your conviction.
The goal of learning is not to shield old views against new facts, but to revise old views with new facts.

"Listen to the wind, it talks. Listen to the silence, it speaks. Listen to your heart, it knows."
Tazrae
Be savage, not average.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Shiress on September 28th, 2022, 4:28 pm

Oh, that really sounds good, and the drinks, too. I've never had a fruity drink like...ooof!"

Shiress's words abruptly cut off with a grunt when she suddenly found herself in an awkward battle to take hold of the basket that the innkeeper thrust her way. At the same time, she struggled to take in all that Tazrae was saying. It wasn't hard to pick up on the young woman's mood, though. Frustration, agitation, and shame all rode the forefront of Tazrae's tidal wave of words.

"Of course, you can come in, Taz," Shiress assured, turning with a nod of her head in the direction of the couch, "Can I call you that? You can call me Shi if you'd like. Let's have a seat, and we'll talk all day and evening if you want to." Shiress led the way inside and placed the basket on the table in front of the couch, pulling the two glasses from within and setting them out.

"You never need an excuse to come see me, okay," Shiress said, bending her legs beneath her as she made herself more comfortable on the couch, "You've been very kind to me since I've come here," she smiled, "and I consider you a friend. Perhaps my only friend," she added with a laugh. Shiress looked thoughtful watching Tazrae, and she had the sudden desire to hug the other female. Shiress was a hugger, but she had come to learn that not everyone appreciated the sentiment, so she held back.

"I would be more than happy to share my experience as a mother with you, it definitely has its ups and downs, but I must say," she glanced at Tazrae with lifted brows, "I would really like to hear about these, what did you call them, Ixam and the company you keep with them, but we can do that another day," she grinned, "It'll be a good reason to get together again, maybe."

Shiress leaned back, placing her hands in her lap with a sigh as she thought about Ian and being his mother. "I think we'll start with the positives first," she began, "the best thing, for me, is the unconditional love, not only that I have for Ian, but the love he has for me, too. It's so easy for a child to love, even if that child isn't yours, you know." she shook her head, smiling, "If you show a child love, any child, and care for them, feed them, show them concern, praise them, even discipline them, they will return those things to you without the same conditions we as adults have,"

Shiress chuckled, "My mom used to say 'what you put in, you'll get back out' and it's so true," she leaned forward, warming to the subject, "it's nice to have someone rely on you, too. Have you ever felt the need to be needed and the elation you feel when you did something good for someone else? It's kinda like that. It gives your life meaning, purpose, and drive to get up every day cause someone needs you and relies completely on you to take care of them."

Shiress flopped back against the couch, deflating slightly, "There's a downside to being relied on, though, especially if you're a single mother like me. From the time Ian was born on the first day of Summer in 518, it's just been me. Every dirty diaper, every belly ache, every fever, every sleepless night, every bath, every tantrum, every child size issue or problem, each and every day...it's all been on me," Shiress smiled, but it was a little sad, "On the other hand, I get all the smiles and hugs and kisses that a little boy has to give, but it's hard, though, when you don't get any respite, or have anyone to give you a break every once in a while to go for a walk on the beach alone, sit quietly and think, or -mommy! Im done!- have an adult conversation." she finished, grinning at Ian's interruption and rolled her eyes.

Ian came barreling in from the kitchen, Shiress's thoroughly colored drawing held out for inspection. When the little boy spotted Tazrae, he came to a stumbling stop and stared before recognition brought a toothy grin to his round face, "Hey miss..." Ian looked at Shiress for help, "Tazrae," she whispered, and Ian straightened again, "miss Tazrae!"

Ian thrust the paper out toward his mother, "Very nice, son." she complimented, nodding her head enthusiastically in approvement, "How about you go and draw miss Tazrae a picture?" The boy nodded, and off he went the same way he had come. Shiress looked at Tazrae pointedly, "As I said, you never get time alone. Ever. But, even in that, there are rewards. Sitters, for one, although I've only had the chance of having someone watch Ian since we've joined this community," she paused, an almost angry expression crossing her features, "but even that comes with...certain scrutiny among...certain company who feel like time alone is abandoning one's child."

Shiress shook herself from the thought, giving the innkeeper a serious look, "I must say, some of the most lonely times in my life have come since I've had Ian. I think there are different types of loneliness, and you need to ask yourself what kind of loneliness you have. Is it for a relationship or companionship? I've had all the companionship I can have for the past four years, and still, I desire more than Ian could ever give."

Shiress scrubbed a rouge strand of hair from her face and planted it behind an ear as she shifted on the couch, "There are two separate beings that live inside a mother, I think. There's the mother, and then there's the woman. The mother is fulfilled by a child's love and the meaning that a child gives her, as I just explained. The woman is fulfilled by being set apart from the mother. When she's held and touched and loved. When she's made to feel protected, cherished, and valued as a partner. Those things are not things my son can ever give me. So, even being a mother," she shrugged, "I'm lonely, too."

Shiress grunted, smiling abashedly, "Ack! I'm probably not making any sense at all, but still, if you think being a mother would fulfill something inside you, and you don't think having your own child is possible right now, then one of the orphans might just be perfect for you," she paused looking thoughtful, "maybe you should start coming around the Children's Pavillion. Spend time with the kids and get to know them. Maybe one of them will tug at your heart."

Just then, Shadow, Shiress's huge black cat, came sauntering into the living room, the tip of his long black tail swaying idly, and jumped up on the couch, bypassing Shiress to sniff daintily at Tazrae's arm. The cat looked up at this human newcomer, his crystal blue eyes assessing. Whatever the feline was looking for, he must have found because Shadow let out a soft mew, then climbed into the innkeeper's lap, circled once, and laid down, emitting a rumbling, deeply contented purr.

Shiress grinned, "Or, you could just get a cat."
Moonlight drowns out all but the brightest stars

Character sheet
Shiress
Every path has a few puddles

Words: 918381
Joined roleplay: January 25th, 2013, 7:01 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (2) Mizahar Grader (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Tazrae on November 1st, 2022, 11:27 pm

Taz grinned at Shiress. She’d meant to take more time to get to know the woman, but something was always coming up. Tazrae didn’t want to insert herself into someone’s life unwelcome and she hadn’t had many female friends before Gracelin and Rainmere had made connections with her. Now, though, she felt better equipped to try out a friendship and see what would come of it. The goodies were just to soften the woman up. The tequila would do the rest. And what she really wanted to know, she had a feeling Shiress would volunteer in a heartbeat. Everyone was interested in the Orphans and wanted to see if they could lure one into the fold of their own profession. Tazrae didn’t think simple Innkeeping could compete with pottery or medicine or even art. But it didn’t hurt to ask. She could really use the help.

And even if Shiress hadn’t let her in, she still would have left the basket and not have been mad about it. She wanted the lady doctor to feel welcome. In fact, she was glad there was a female doctor that wasn’t her twin. Taz wasn’t sure she was comfortable with Kamrae knowing all there was to know about her. She had yet to approach her sister and initiate any sort of relationship with her. She was half waiting for her sister to do it on her own. But that hadn’t yet happened, so Taz was more than willing to try with Shiress and see where a friendship could go with her. After all, she respected the woman that raised a child all on her own and had traveled so far to make Syka her home.

“Sure, call me Taz. Just don’t call me Tazi. It irritates the piss out of me for some reason.” The woman interjected with a wrinkle of her nose and a bounce of her curls as she flounced past, still nervous and unsure of how to act around the slightly older woman. She made for the chairs Shiress indicated and collapsed upon one, letting Shiress deal with the basket. When Shiress pulled the glasses out though, Taz got busy pulling out liquor bottles from the bottom of the basket and what looked like an ice bucket and a liquor shaker.

“Well, I don’t know you that well, so baking for you all day gave me a good one,” Taz said with a grin as she laid out a small plate, spread out salt on it, and then began dumping various amounts of booze and berries into the shaker. She took a muddler and banged on the fruit, mashing it up in the drink and then added a bit of ice. She ran a chunk of the frozen water around each rim, dipped it in the salt on the plate, and then turned the glass right side up to let it sit.

“I’ve never done this before… but I got clear instructions from one of my father’s books. I didn’t realize his ‘cookbook’ had drinks in it. We’ll see if we like it or we die.” Taz said with a grin as she shoved the shaker together and began shaking up the liquor. “This always looks so cool when bartenders do it, but I feel so stupid….” She said, shaking the thing extra hard and shouting over it. When she was done… or when she was done looking stupid… she pulled the shaker apart and divided up the beverage in it between the two glasses, offering one to Shiress.

“I don’t really have any friends either... so I’d be glad to call you one. I know Rainmere and Gracelin, but that’s about it. Unless you count female Ixams, then I have more friends than I can count on all my fingers and toes… but that’s just because I help feed them.” She said and took a sip of her drink. She wrinkled her nose at the potency and smiled apologetically at Shiress. “It’s a little strong. I didn’t realize that the liquor that Stu made… the tequila, was quite that strong. He said it's from blue agave. I’ve never even heard of agave.” She said, shaking her head. “But Stu made it sound fancy and expensive, so I went for it as a choice for tonight.” She said, looking thoughtfully at Shiress, hopeful it wasn’t too terrible.

She wasn’t expecting praise though. She literally had zero experience pouring or making drinks.

When Shiress started talking about being a mother, Tazrae listened closely. She wasn’t sure if she actually qualified to be a ‘mother’ if she adopted one of the children, but wasn’t that close enough? She’d probably never have a child of her own. The man she wanted children with was busy finding himself and trying to acclimate to Syka. And after what her grandfather put him through, she couldn’t blame him. But Taz could adopt to help ease her loneliness and give her help around the Inn if that’s what they were interested in learning as a trade. And she knew putting things out into the world… that she wanted help, that she was lonely, that there were voids in her life… would certainly get the attention of the powers that be, and hopefully some of those voids would get filled.

A woman could dream?

For her part, Tazrae was glad Shiress didn’t describe motherhood as all roses and butterflies. She definitely said it had its ups and downs. The woman carefully broke down what the positives were for Tazrae. She liked the idea of unconditional love, flowing both ways. She also liked the fact that Shiress clearly made it a point to say what you put into the care of the child was what you got back. Taz would have thought having someone ultimately relying on her would be a negative, but she didn’t contradict Shiress. The woman obviously had more wisdom than she did in that regard. Taz already had meaning and purpose and drive in her life, but more of that never hurt anything. She had enough energy for two women, maybe ten, so she liked the fact that it would give her more than enough focus for her attention. Shiress didn’t come out and say that, but it was another thing Tazrae got from her talk.

Nodding, Taz was glad Shiress talked about the downside too. She made appropriate noises and muttered at the sadness and worry Shiress projected about her son and his life. She knew, firsthand, that one couldn’t make sure one’s life was always perfect. And if that were true, how in the world would a person insure a child was going to get the love and care they needed? Taz was deep in thought about the negatives and how they would affect her when Ian came barreling in.

She laughed at Ian’s interruption, gave the boy a quick hug, and made sure he went off to draw a picture with his offhand filled with a scone.

However, something Shiress said gave Tazrae pause. Ian made Shiress even more lonely. How was that possible? “I know it sounds terrible… I always have an Inn full of people to care for… but I’m lonely too. I was hoping adopting a child would… fill that void? But you are sitting here saying you are lonely even with Ian?” Taz had to give that some thought. “I miss Alric. I miss that companionship and that togetherness. Since he’s been here I’ve seen less of him than I did when he was living in Sunberth. And I don’t think he's happy at all. I’m guilty about it and keep out of his way, but ….” She let it trail off there. “I thought I’d be enough. But I’m not even coming close to being enough.” She added, then stared off out into the distance of Shiress’ bungalow. “I thought I might be better with a child… someone less complicated.” She added.

“But you are right. It’s not just having someone around. I’ve often felt the most lonely when I’m serving my guests food. There is such togetherness between them at times… they enjoy each other’s company and are just… close. I want closeness with someone.” She added, not sure but suspecting that Shiress knew exactly what she meant.

Reaching out, Tazrae snagged up her margarita and took a sip of it. It wasn’t as bad as she initially thought. In fact, the sharp strong taste of alcohol was growing on her.

She drank deeply as Shiress got into her explanation of the two beings dwelling inside a woman’s body. And she nodded at it because it made perfect sense. But there was nothing she could say to Shiress to make her feel better… nothing at all. So Tazrae quietly sat her drink down and crossed the distance between them. Then she folded Shiress into her arms and brought her tight up against her. Against her ear, she whispered… “That was the most beautiful and tragic explanation of anything I’ve ever heard in my life. Are you sure you aren’t a bard yourself?” She asked, offering another squeeze as if the first one just wasn’t enough to convey how much she respected and appreciated the advice.

She released Shiress when she said the word “Ack!” Taz grinned and resumed her seat. “On the contrary, you are making perfect sense.” And when Shiress made a suggestion to start coming to the Pavilion, Taz nodded eagerly.

“I was hoping I could bring some of the juvenile Ixam over with me and see if the children were interested in taking any on as a pet. Many of them are dying, but if they are taken into care fairly soon, I might not lose as many to predation and fights with other juveniles. The children could then raise them as hand-tamed and we’d have better less feral Ixam for the colony to ride. And it might help teach the children responsibility and pet care.” She said, looking thoughtful. “The juveniles are terrible at hunting though, so I’d have to take the kids twice a week to hunt their lizards… probably at Swine Swells. Do you think that’s something doable?” She asked, curiously. “Then I could see which were the best with the Ixam and that would help me narrow down whom to adopt.” She said thoughtfully.

Taz bent down to stroke the cat as he bumped her leg and grinned. “I really don’t need a cat. My bed, my chairs, and my decks are all filled with Ixam. I think they drove my man away.” She added with a chuckle. Then she took another drink of her margarita and pulled out a scone to nibble on.

“You are in a bungalow now? Not at Bangles and Blooms? Are you doing okay, really, Shiress?” Taz asked, lifting an eyebrow in curiosity. “IF we are to be friends, you’ll need an ear to whisper in as well.” She added, concern creasing on her face. Her drink, now empty, caused Taz to stand up and begin mixing up round two. She made this batch with less alcohol because the first was too strong. Honestly though? She wasn’t sure it mattered at this point. “I have good hearing…” She added, laughing lightly. “And a lot of time tonight since dinner and the dinner crowd has finally gone.” She added.

“Will you tell me how you are doing in Syka? What kinds of things do you like about the place and what kinds of things do you struggle with? I’m a full-fledged Ranger now so it's my job to take people out in the jungle and teach them about the wilds. If you ever want to learn.” Taz said, extending the offer to help Shiress learn some Wilderness revival if she could. “I can be very entertaining out in the wilds. And if you don’t want to walk, we can always ride. Ixam riding lessons are always included. I have some very gentle Ixam that would love to carry you.” She said sincerely, wanting Shiress to take her up on her offer and go roam with her at times. “Ian can safely come along too.” She added, knowing Shiress would like that fact.

Words: 2039

Tazrae
Be savage, not average.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes