[Poll] How long did it take to get comfortable with Mizahar?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Feel free to post all your Mizahar related discussions here.

Postby Gossamer on December 22nd, 2010, 5:07 pm

Hiya Mizaharians!

In an effort to help design a better front Lore page that's more newbie friendly, I'd like to know a few things. So there are going to be a series of polls asking for feedback and comments about various aspects of being a newbie.

This one deals with length of time to get familiar with the game system. Can you take the poll then comment in depth about how long it actually took you to be familiar with Mizahar enough to be confident in say answering questions other newbies had or not feeling stupid because you didn't know what a Syliran Knight was?

Thanks!

Gossamer
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

How long did it take you to get comfortable with Mizahar?

Postby Hania on December 22nd, 2010, 5:28 pm

I happily found Miz on one of my days off of work so I had 24+ hours to absorb everything I could. The system it's self took about an hour to understand well enough to feel that I'd be able to post without slipping up immensely. And character creation took a while longer because I kept clicking on every single link and distracting myself. But actually I found the lore to be very comprehensive, as much of it as there is.

I just had to break it all down into finding the general things about Mizahar out (i.e. writing format, dates, new terminology). Then came the history of the Pre-Valt events which led into the lore about the gods....all of them :|. After that were the races and their regions of the world. Economy came last since I was more focused on finding a race to start with.

There's no way I'd claim to be the authority on everything, but by the end of day two I knew what there was written out in lore about Myrians, Myri, and Faylndar. And I still find myself avoiding the minutes by researching and cross referencing articles in the lore :) I'm usually so wrapped up, and a little too slow with my mouse to answer questions from newcomers. The other five days before posting were spent lurking and trying to feel out the player base here, see if I could fit in with all you other writers.
Hania
Evil Twin

Words: 67496
Joined roleplay: May 14th, 2010, 3:40 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Gossamer on December 22nd, 2010, 5:31 pm

Hania- Thanks. That's very helpful information.
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Dusk on December 23rd, 2010, 4:19 pm

I chose 1-2 days, but I don't really think it's fair to say that Mizahar is simple. There's a lot of stuff that's complicated, but I was definitely able to research race and area and get a character started within a couple of days, and feel comfortable enough to start posting. It took me another week or two of reading through the Lore before I felt like I was able to start answering questions, and I often learned as much trying to find other peoples' answer as I did finding my own. :)

However, I will say that I came from a role-playing forum that was very similar in function to this one. That is, I understood how posting worked, and could navigate the forums with ease. I imagine that newbies who have never done RP forums before would have a much longer acclimation time since they'd need to learn that on top of learning about the game itself.
PLEASE NOTE: Finals are over, but summer is eating my soul. As such, as of the end of June I will not be accepting any new quests/modded threads until I finish some of the ones I've already started/agreed to. My apologies for this, but I don't want to be unfair to those who have been waiting for replies!

Dusk's Office - Information on Syliras - Help Desk
Dusk
DS: Syliras and Wildlands

Words: 341560
Joined roleplay: April 6th, 2010, 5:33 pm
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (2)
Trash Medal (1) Thunderspork (1)

Postby Eanos on December 23rd, 2010, 4:36 pm

I went with 1-2 days though maybe I should have gone with the 4+ months option!

As with Dusk, coming from another RP game, the mechanics were simple enough. I still haven't got to grips with everything but that's mainly because I still haven't done much posting so I'm pretty much a newcomer.

This is my second start though because the first time the player base was still quite small and cliquey. I needed things to be a bit more developed than they were then because otherwise it was just too much work when everything needed to be researched and too much information was locked up in the heads of the Creators and not yet written out.
Eanos
Overgiven Magesmith

Words: 443521
Joined roleplay: March 22nd, 2010, 2:38 pm
Race: Isur
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Donor (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Siiri on December 23rd, 2010, 4:56 pm

Took me about a month of reading (lore and existing posts) and asking Cayenne and Goss questions about everything Myrian-related and the Falyndar region in general. But that's just me; I didn't just want a character with stats, I wanted to play a real person rather than invent her history and personality on the fly. Some parts of a race's psychological make-up you just can't get from reading the wiki, you really have to ask the person(s) who made that race, and the environment where said race can be found, etc.
Apologies to everyone I'm threading with, but it's like the Danaides for me right now.
==/==
"If it doesn't solve all your problems, maybe you're not using enough of it." - Violence
Siiri
Beast of Prey

Words: 521753
Joined roleplay: September 18th, 2009, 3:22 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Alice on December 24th, 2010, 3:24 pm

Getting to know Mizahar enough to start a character took me about a day, maybe less (during summer holidays). Naturally, I joined when the information wasn't as extensive as it is now and most wiki articles were stubs or only had a few sentences of information in them. Also, I came from a game that was similar regarding rules and PC and staff system, so I absorbed everything pretty quickly.

However, with the recent additions to rules and ic information (through the Development Forum), it's easy to sometimes get lost. I think Solomon's list of skills written/in progress/stubs is really useful, but I'd love to have some kind of newsletter announcing the recent additions to the wiki - not only articles completed, but also recent edits, stubs expanded, existing articles changed etc. It's quite easy to get lost if you don't have much free time to browse the forums and wiki and familiarize yourself with recent changes. (It's partly my fault too, though.) I was honestly tempted to select that last option of the poll, but thought it might be misinterpreted, haha. So that's what I mean.
Mura ... Starting Guide ... Konti

"Shard by shard she rearranges the world.
It looks the same, she says, but it is not. It looks as they expect, but it is not."

Gregory Maguire, "Wicked"
Alice
Shade of Grey

Words: 221259
Joined roleplay: October 17th, 2009, 4:51 pm
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 3
Featured Contributor (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Ceos on April 30th, 2011, 6:30 pm

I feel I must post here just as a mean to thank the Founders who put their time and creative mind for our own entertainment (Although they certainly enjoy it as much as we do).

I have to say I got used to Mizahar very quickly. I created my first character without much thought, only the race and skill orientation in mind. I read a bit of general lore and rules then jumped in the chat to get some pointers as to how to start. I think the world is well presented and, while I've never done RP before nor english is my first language, I have take a great liking to it.

Dusk says it all--->
Dusk wrote:I chose 1-2 days, but I don't really think it's fair to say that Mizahar is simple.
I'd be really thankful of anyone who can help me with image manipulation softwares to get something of all that blank space on my avatar.
Ceos
The Odd One

Words: 7981
Joined roleplay: April 23rd, 2011, 3:59 pm
Race: Isur
Character sheet

Postby Gossamer on April 30th, 2011, 6:35 pm

Please keep using this thread. It's extremely helpful for us to be more newbie friendly. :) Plus it gives us a great insight on where folks struggle the most getting started. We can always tweak, fix, fiddle and improve.
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Verilian on May 4th, 2011, 3:57 am

It took me about a month before I made my first character, I was just browsing the lore until then, and it took me another month before I was really comfortable with the whole posting, timestamps, grading, and other little details that are unique to Mizahar.
Forecast for tonight... Dark
-----
Wind Reach---Wind Reach Lore---WR Request Thread
Verilian
Retired Staff

Words: 1113582
Joined roleplay: December 23rd, 2010, 9:53 pm
Storyteller secrets
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Next