[stormhold salves] poor philosophies. (kendall)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Postby Caelum on June 1st, 2011, 2:17 am

Timestamp: 81 Spring 511 AV

The sun had recently collapsed beyond the western walls of the city, leaving the Bazaar flooded with a queer mix of natural and man made light. It was through this accelerating whirl of culture that a man marked with the swirling ink of a far flung Drykas ducked into the apothecary. A glare was shot over his shoulder, but at nothing either particular or immediately apparent; and the closing of the door behind him cut off the look anyway.

Weathered riding leathers creaked as he turned to take in the shop, shoulders somewhat hunched and one of the heavy braids of bark colored hair straggling free of the heavy knot at the base of his neck. A sharp, sun like spiral of ink fanned out from his right eye though both eyes were narrowed while adjusting to the illuminate change. He held the wrist of his left hand in his right, close to his chest with the sleeve and cuff shoved up across the hem of fingerless gloves.

Finally, he stepped from his spot in front of the door -- careful of the floor as if it were ice and thinning -- to approach the closest, colored array of bottles and jars. It put to his mind a wondrous concept of order surely only the shopkeep was capable of understanding.

With the little courtyard beyond, the familiar scents of mingled chemicals and herbals, his spine began to relax and he studied the wares with burgeoning interest.
Caelum
The best way out is through.

Words: 1093768
Joined roleplay: March 18th, 2010, 10:27 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (1) Guest Storyteller (1)
Lore Author (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Kendall Saarinen on June 1st, 2011, 3:36 am

Working with his blade had not been too bad. It was not as though Kendall had been fighting off anyone. He was meerly trying to train. Kendall simply needed to be able to swing his sword without losing his breath every few swings. He thought the training would be simple enough. Swing his sword a bit, get more comfortable with his blade, or pretty much anything to make him less of a target in the Wildlands. He had over exhurted himself though. He felt his muscles ached from the movements. He was not sure if he would find relief in the shop but it would not hurt to look.

When the blond stepped into the shop he was faced with the relization that he really did not know what he was looking for. He had come across muscle pains before but he never had to shop for the cure. His parents or siblings always seemed to take care of that. He was the youngest of the family and back home he was everyone's little sister not some awkward boy lost in the rushing city. He murmured quietly as he walked though the shop, reading the labels under his breath.

His mismatched eyes turned up to see the man in the store with him. "When in doubt ask I suppose." He was not very good at speaking to others, at least not since his accident. If the man was in the shop he must have known something about medicine. Of course, he could have been just like Kendall, completely and totally lost. "Escuse me." He already felt his blush creeping up on him. "I know this seems strange but I pulled a muscle in my arm and I know nothing about medicine. Do you?" He was worried that man would ignore him, or get upset that Kendall had interupted the quiet atmosphere of the store.
"I'm burning and I'm blacking my lungs.
Boy you know it feels good with fire back on your tongue."
-Ryan Ross

Kendall Saarinen
Like John Allerdyce but hotter

Words: 595666
Joined roleplay: November 6th, 2010, 1:04 am
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Caelum on June 1st, 2011, 1:59 pm

Caelum looked sideways at the young man, a dull sort of surprise echoing through his expression. It was a frown, the brooding kind that nettled eyebrows and fanned lines into bronzed cheeks. People rarely approached him while under Leth’s pallid thumb, there being little to compare the wild and exotic allure of his ethaefal form to that of the grasslands healer he had been ages before.

Gold flecked eyes narrowed as Kendall spoke, straying from study of his face for a more thorough inspection. At length, he threw a glance towards the back of the shop where the muted voices of what he could only assume were the shopkeeper and other customers could be heard.

“That arm?” He nodded at Kendall’s right shoulder, shifting forward with the warm scent of wind and sunshine. “I know a little.”
Caelum

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Kendall Saarinen on June 26th, 2011, 5:51 am

The blond felt a bit uncomfortable under the man's gaze. Of course, Kendall was prone to bouts of social anxiety. He had not been too shy as a girl. In fact, he had been a little overly social as a girl. He had wanted to make friends with everyone and anyone. Or more so, anyone who was interesting and worth his time. He missed the days of having the courage to walk up to anyone and just strike up a conversation. There was too much fear now and not enough confidence.

"Uhh… yes." Kendall nodded quickly and almost childlike as he looked at the man. He knew he shouldn't have been so scared. The man would not hurt him, nor did he have a reason to. He tried to keep a calm mind but that night in Zeltiva had him convinced of one thing. People were not kindhearted, or most people were not. His past mentality still played in his mind a bit. The thought that all people were good somewhere within them. He could not find good in the man back in Zeltiva. Who experimented on another like he did and could still call themselves a good person?

"I was training with one of the knights and I imagine I must have swung my blade too hard or… something." The blond's mind seemed to be running faster than he could process and instead of conveying what he wanted to stay he simply stood there like a scared child. He moved his arm up and cringed a bit as it got higher. "I'm sure it is just a pulled muscle but I don't know how to treat it." A light blush colored his cheeks as he looked sideways. He was being ridiculous. Why would some man he had never met want to help him in the first place?
-Ryan Ross

Kendall Saarinen

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Caelum on June 27th, 2011, 2:42 pm

“Taking advantage of free lessons?” Jaelyn Baroth had told Caelum about how the knights allowed people to interlope upon their daily training sessions. It was a remarkably generous concept to him; and based upon the tentative demeanor of the young man before him, he surmised this was not a squire.

Sympathy crouched in dark eyes when the young man winced and the line of his mouth tightened. He released the loose grip he had one his own wrist in order to dig into the worn folds of his riding jacket, unearthing a well traveled little book with gold lettering title flaking.

“There’s, ah, this plant. Arnica is what they call it in Taledera,” he was half mumbling this while sagging out a hip and flipping open the book in revelation of a scribe’s fine print perforated by a far hastier scrawl in the margins. “Here,” he located the wanted page and turned the book around so as to display the sketch. It seemed habit, this course of action.

“Flowering plant,” he half read off the notations and half drew from memory. The herbalism aspect of healing was one he was still very much learning, hence the book ever at hand for reference. “Sun colors, similar to daisies. Thick, hairy stalk, one to two feet high. Fresh or dried flower heads are the plant part you want to use. It’s not so uncommon that it isn’t likely to be found here. Maybe this shop has it oil or ointment form. You don’t want to digest it,” a beat and he met the stranger’s eyes. “At all.”

The book was closed with a little thud and his attention shifted, narrowing upon the brightly colored rows of remedies shelved within the shop. “It’s good for inflammation and tissue healing,” he explained while beginning to peruse the available wares in search. “Massage it in.”
Caelum

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Kendall Saarinen on July 15th, 2011, 4:41 am

A slight blush colored Kendall's cheeks. "Uh, well I am friends with the knight so I would like to think I wasn't taking advantage." He did not know that the man might have been just trying to make conversation. He was too nervous to even think that optimistically. Even if he was worried the man seemed to be willing to help. That much calmed the blond a bit. He watched with curious eyes as the man thumbed through his books and muttered under his breath. He was glad he had found someone that knew what they were talking about.

With a nod Kendall's eyes looked over the wares in the shop, much like the man was doing. He was still nervous. That much seemed to be inevitable now. He tended to get nervous around just about everyone these days except for a select few. The blond felt calm around Hadrian. In fact, there was no one else who he felt more comfortable around. Of course there was Cathan, Seven, and Jaelyn as well. He considered all four to be close friends although some were closer than others.

Kendall muttered the word quietly under his breath as he looked over the salves in the store. He as worried about the price. He was unsure about how expensive the salve would be. Even though he was in pain he could not help but wonder if it was better just to wait the pain out. "How much does this oil usually go for?" The blond spoke quietly to the man as he continued to look. "Thank you for your help by the way."

As Kendall continued to look over the shelves he glanced over at the man once again. "I don't mean to ask more of you but you seem to be knowledgeable in medicine. Are there any things I should buy for going out into the wilds?" He felt awkward asking more of the man. "I am heading out at the end of the season and I want to be prepared."
-Ryan Ross

Kendall Saarinen

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Caelum on July 30th, 2011, 6:49 pm

"A handful of silver," Caelum surmised while scraping to a halt. The appropriate ointment was located amid Sahfri's wares and calloused fingers plucked it up so that he could more closely read the label. "There you are," and he turned back around to face the younger man, offering the the little jar -- poppy bright glass -- on the palm of his hand.

That hand was clad in a worn, fingerless glove and was, thankfully, clean. Nor did he smell of the dirt and sour sweat. It was more of fresh turned earth and clean sweat and soap milled with essence of hyssop to aid in the warding off of evil spirits. The thin line of gold surrounding an otherwise dark iris suggested the warding was not going so well.

A thoughtful expression riddled the Drykas' brow as he studied Kendall anew. "Willowbark to brew in to tea for fevers and general aches," he began after a moment. "A supply of carbolic for disinfecting any wounds. Needles and cat gut or silk if you can afford it for sewing up those wounds. There's a power made from the bones wharf rats that, when combined with a few other things, works surprisingly well as an digestive."

Was that last a joke? It might have been. A small, crooked smile had strayed over his mouth.

"A supply of clean muslin for use as bandages and, well, a few Sylirian knights to act as guards couldn't go amiss.." He trailed off, the joke really being more of a question as to what in a thousand holies this young man thought he was doing, going out into the pitch and wild.
Caelum

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Kendall Saarinen on September 19th, 2011, 6:42 pm

Kendall nodded lightly, trying to calculate the cost of all of the medicines that the man was described. He hoped he would have enough money. He was a little upset with himself that he had not gotten a job sooner. The blond had expected to move on from the city quite quickly. Pick up some supplies, rest for a few days, and then move on with Cathan. He had a job now and that much was helping with his dwindling money. It still might not have been enough though.

"Thank you for your help." Kendall began to look around the shop for the medicines, hoping that he would be able to afford them all. He wished Cathan was with him so he could help pay. Of course, he would have payed the Kelvic back. It would just be a bit embarrassing to show up to a store and be drastically short money-wise.

A shy smile was offered in response to the Drykas before him. "I'm Ken by the way. I'm glad I was able to find someone who knows so much about medicine before leaving the city." He chewed on his lip nervously before speaking up again. "Of course, it would be best if I didn't have to use the medicine at all but it is still good to know it is there if I need it." He truly was not sure what to say to the man. He seemed quiet and reserved. Kendall was quite similar which posed a problem. Of course, if they were just two strangers passing in a shop what was the harm? Kendall wanted to know more though. The man seemed like he was not from Syliras. He seemed a bit too rugged for a Syliran. "Where are you from… If I may ask?" He did not want the man to think he was prying. He was merely just curious. Of course, curiosity was what had gotten him in his current predicament.
-Ryan Ross

Kendall Saarinen

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Caelum on October 5th, 2011, 3:31 pm

“Don’t know that much,” came the confession. The wry tilt remained on his mouth. It made it half a smile and, maybe, half a broken heart as well though he knew it not. Else, well, he might have found a better way to smile he could.

The jar of arnica oil was returned to rest amid its brethren on the shelf when the young man failed to take it from him. A low supply of gold was a situation with which he was overly familiar. A thoughtful squint narrowed his eyes as he rocked back on his heels, throwing another glance in the direction of the apothecary’s back room where the conversation seemed to not be winding toward any near end.

“If you’d like, I’ll take a look at your shoulder. Ah, no charge,” he offered and it was a bit gruff. “Best not here though, probably.” The last thing he intended was to steal patronage. “And from?” It had him looking harder at Ken, a flock of heartbeats spiraling thin before he dropped his chin in a nod. “Caelum. I’m from.. A lot of places. Haven’t stayed in one for any mentionable length of time since Zeltiva.”
Caelum

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Emblem on April 22nd, 2012, 8:17 pm

Congratulations!
You Get Glorious Experience!

Caelum
Skills
    Medicine- 2 XP
    Herbalism- 1 XP
Lores
    Lore of Talderan Flora (Partial)

Comments :
A nice short exchange between you two! There wasn't too much I could give xp or lore wise but I went with 2 xp in medicine to bump you up to expert. So remember to keep yourself challenged and always trying to learn more. Any questions or concerns pm me!
Currently working at new job so I am still trying to balance it out with Miza. I apologize for any delays.
Emblem
Retired Staff

Words: 50846
Joined roleplay: January 24th, 2012, 5:56 am
Race: Staff account
Office