[Opal Clinic] A Healer's Touch (Darren)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A village cut off from the rest of Mizahar by the Valterrian, slowly reestablishing contact with the outside world.

Postby Veldrys on July 19th, 2011, 11:36 am

Summer 25, 511 AV

The Symenestra had devoted most of the time since he had come to Denval to his god – he was no longer working as a healer every day – but there was a part of him that still was and would always be interested in medicine and herbalism. He still treated wounds occasionally, and he had developed a special interest in diseases of the blood as well as diseases that didn’t seem to be of entirely natural origin. Sometimes he would take a walk through the city and see if anybody was suffering, and sometimes he would merely visit the Opal Clinic, watching Cian Noc as he went about his work.

Those people, the Denvali, they were his people now, and he was aware that taking care of their spiritual needs would be pointless if their physical needs weren’t met. In this world at least some things could be healed by the gods, with a prayer, and through his mark he could hasten the healing of wounds, but it didn’t seem to be right to rely on the gods for everything. Sometimes it was better to just use a scalpel, banadages and a couple of potions to treat your patient. That was why he was here, in the human’s clinic.

Cian Noc was more experienced than he was, and there were likely things that he could learn from him. Back in Kalinor, at the Purging, most of his patients had been pregnant surrogates. They’d sometimes had broken bones and colds, like all other people, but in the end the ailments he had become familiar with had been limited and mostly followed the same patterns. He found the normal, surface dwelling humans to be very different from his previous patients, and sometimes didn’t know exactly how to deal with them yet.

Darren would thus find him at the entrance to the clinic, leaning against the wall. His head was bent, and silver hair half obscured his face. He was dressed in a long robe, in part to hide the protective exoskeleton armor that he wore underneath, and he was taking notes about his observations in a small, brown, leather bound book.

Without a doubt the Vantha had already heard of him, the Symenestra that had arrived in the city two seasons prior, that had been blessed by Viratas and received a strange prophecy. In such a small city few things remained a secret.
Last edited by Veldrys on July 20th, 2011, 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Veldrys
Player

Words: 401625
Joined roleplay: February 8th, 2011, 5:01 pm
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

[Jarret's Clinic] A Healer's Touch (Darren)

Postby Darren on July 20th, 2011, 4:54 am

There always something new to talk about in Denval. Today's victim was rumored to mend the ailments of others through a rather curious method, manipulation of the blood. Such a talent, seemingly dark and taboo, would normally incur a degree of suspicion. That in turn leading into fear. As Darren first heard about this Veld he couldn't help but notice the underlying emotions given off by the two small youths. A reasonable approach to the unknown, but not one towards a regular citizen. Can't be helped though Darren shrugged as he considered the possibilities of such a phenomenon. "Seems like something worth checking out."

It didn't take too long before he came across the Opal temple. A paragon in the medical world with one of the leading minds in that of medicine. Apparently. It was odd that the Vantha hasn't happened across this place during his visit. In fact it should have been one of the first places he should have gone through when the ship first docked. Darren paused for a moment to take a quick glance at the place. Nothing seemed to be out of order or sinister, in fact it was quite the opposite being tidy and inviting but something was telling him otherwise. The Vantha smiled sarcastically as he felt the normal feeling of fear when facing something unknown, his eyes turning slightly red in annoyance.

Surveying the front he saw what seemed to be someone that looked hard at work, or at least looked to be. Darren slowly strolled up to the figure as he casually started a conversation. "Hey there. I'm looking for a Veldrys of the... something. I heard he was visiting today and I wanted to watch and maybe learn from this man" Darren's eyes returned to it's natural hue as he spoke, being replaced with a look of skepticism. Looking at the person before him Darren seemed to project his thoughts, Your hair is annoying, why would you even have it like that? The Vantha grunted slightly as he crossed his arms across his chest, questioning the validity of the man's 'work.'

oocSorry I took a bit and can only give this much. I couldn't generate too much with what was given, sorry. He has an attitude for a reason, don't take it personally. ;)
The original PC of Miria and Bolivar

Darren
I Dare

Words: 346232
Joined roleplay: March 3rd, 2011, 12:53 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Veldrys on July 22nd, 2011, 7:18 pm

As Darren adressed him, Veldrys looked up from his notebook. If the human came a little closer, he would see that the whole page was covered with an elegant, ornamental script, in a language that he likely couldn’t understand. Despite the fact that the Symenestra lived among humans now, he still preferred the language of his own people. He was more comfortable in it, and he could write faster when he wrote something in Symenos.

Closing the book and gathering the pen, Veldrys slipped both within the folds of his robe. Intense violet eyes met color-changing ones for a moment, and then he nodded. „I am Veldrys“, he said. Althoug his speech itself was fluent, he had a noticeable accent that betrayed that he was not a native speaker of Common, but had only learned the language later in life. „Veldrys of the Vervain Web, although I suppose my Web is of no significance here.“ He shrugged his shoulders. „You say you are looking for me?“ The expression on his pale face was a mixture of curiosity and scepticism. It seemed strange to the Symenestra that the Vantha wanted something from him. There were more skilled healers, and the chaplains were far more competent as far as religious matters were concerned.

„What do you need from me? What do you want to learn?“ he asked. He wondered if he should alert Master Noc to the Vantha’s presence. Without a doubt the human was a better teacher, although Veldrys specialized in a few areas that the healer of the Opal Order might not be as familiar with. But then again, he had said he was looking specifically for him, and thus the Symenestra merely raised a slender hand that ended in black claws and gestured towards a pair of chairs so that they could sit comfortably while they talked.
Veldrys
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Darren on July 24th, 2011, 6:04 am

"I'll just call you Veldrys" Darren answered as he took a quick look at him. I've seen someone that looked like this. "Web you say? Are you Symnestra maybe? Same Veldrys that I heard about with blood gift?" Granted Darren could have handled the situation with more finesse but his curiosity seemed to control his actions. "Oh, I'm sorry. My name is Darren of Whitevine Hold and I wanted to see your unique skill. Just to learn and have an idea, if you let me"

Darren shifted forward slightly in his seat as he looked at Veldrys in earnest, he really wanted to see and experience it for himself. If not to comprehend at least feel what it was like to be diagnosed by one with a gift. His gaze fell to the floor as he tried to put in words his thoughts on his request, how to make it seem acceptable or at least understandable. His gaze lingered for a moment staring blankly at the Symnestra before him until he continued trying to otherwise persuade him. "I need a physical too, if I don't have a problem can I stick around to watch other patients? I'll be very quiet"

oocSorry if I'm not giving you too much to work with. I should probably be able to get a few things going after hearing your answer and your diagnosis if you choose to agree

Darren
I Dare

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Caelum on July 28th, 2011, 5:36 pm

OOCAnd I’m back!

From the clinic hall came an abrupt clamor, punctuated with a series of thuds and the sharp sound of shattering glass. On the heels of this unexpected cacophony came a muffled string of curses hot enough to span the vocabulary of a good five different languages.

“Gentlemen?” The resident physician interrupted Veldrys and Darren’s conversation shortly thereafter with a tone of bemusement. The reception area had begun to empty as the young woman seated behind the desk delivered the pre-packaged and neatly labeled boxes of fresh brewed prescriptions to patients.

It was a lazy hour of the Opal Clinic, free of any medically related emergency. That is it had been until Cian Noc had attempted to haul an entire crate loaded with recycled glass jars down from his attic apartment. Either Haddy – the little girl whose mother often voluntarily performed various housekeeping duties around the clinic – or a wee patient had left a wooden spinning top on the stair landing.

Disaster had followed.

When the men looked up, they would find Cian standing before them with rich blood dripping like candle wax down his hands and spreading to soak the sleeve of his shirt. He was holding his hand up to keep the blood flow higher than heart level, fingers relaxed and his good hand grasping the attached elbow. The blood was twisting through the thick, obsidian pair of Shiber letters emblazoned by a god on the back of that particular hand.

When Cian had seen that, he just felt unexpectedly dizzy. The young woman behind the desk was frowning with worry and began to rise from her seat.

“My medical students have all gone home for the day,” Cian went on in a conversational manner to Veldrys and Darren. “Lend me a hand, won’t you?”

“Cian,” the receptionist interjected, “I’ll send for –“

“No, no. I’m sure these gentlemen won’t mind,” and Cian raised his eyebrows hopefully at the men, one of whom he recognized of course.
Caelum
The best way out is through.

Words: 1093768
Joined roleplay: March 18th, 2010, 10:27 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (1) Guest Storyteller (1)
Lore Author (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Veldrys on August 3rd, 2011, 12:29 pm

As Darren said that he would just call him Veldrys, he nodded. Even though some might consider it at least slightly impolite, he didn’t mind being adressed by his first name, especially since they were not in Kalinor. „And I am indeed a Symenestra.“ The words themselves were spoken in a calm, friendly tone, but he arched his eyebrows, a clear sign of surprise and mild irritation. What else did the human think he could be? There was no other people that looked quite like the Symenestra, that had such jewel colored eyes, claws and fangs.

„I do bear Viratas mark, if that is what you mean with the blood gift.“ He touched his arm, where the mark was hidden under his robe. It had happened so recently, that he sometimes had to remind himself that it was really there, that all those things had really taken place. There was also the ominous prophecy, somewhere in the back of his mind, but he tried not to think of it now. This day at least would be dedicated to the study of medicine.

„If you’d like a display of my skill, I’d be more than willing to show you.“ He didn’t feel the need to verify Darren’s race, but had already drawn his own, correct conclusions. In his time in Purging, with the surrogates, and later on he had had contact with a number of different human subraces. And he didn’t need to be persuaded either. The Symenestra never denied those that came for healing or to learn more.

„I can also do a physical“, he added. „And as far as I am concerned, you can stick around afterwards, although you should ask Cian Noc as well. It’s his clinic, not mine. I’m merely a guest, just like you are.“

As he heard the sound of shattering glass followed by the voice of the man whose name he had just mentioned, the Symenestra turned around. His eyes widened as he saw the blood dripping from his hands. He ignored Darren and whatever he was saying and approached Cian so that he could take a better look at the wound.

„I can help you“, he said to him. „I can take care of your wound, but we shouldn’t do it in the reception area. Can you take me to where you usually treat your patients?“ He briefly turned to Darren. „You might get a display of my skill sooner than expected.“
Veldrys
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Darren on August 5th, 2011, 10:05 pm

Turning his head slowly to the sudden interruption Darren looked indifferent to the apparent accident that happened. Grimacing slightly at the display the proprietor gave, the vantha was tempted to outright refuse the request given to him. True Darren was somewhat familiar with helping out in a clinic but the easygoing attitude this man had seemed to put him off. It might have been a little cut but nonetheless the man didn't show any attempts to cover up or otherwise apologize for his appearance. "Erm- I dunno" Darren's eyes narrowed looking back at Veldrys while he diagnosed the wound.

"I guess that works then" Darren would follow the pair when they decieded to leave, giving off an uncomfortable look while surveying the area. The place had that Denvali feel sure but there seemed to be made with other influences in mind. "How'd you get the name Opal Clinic? It isn't even round." Allowing himself an easy smile the curious Vantha peeked his head through whatever hallway or room close by as he slowly got an overall idea of the area. "Very strange, feels like... oppressive but nice. Thick walls but many plants in back." Looking back at Cian he grimaced slightly as his eyes fell on the man's wound. "Sorry we should hurry or else you might drip, names later"

Darren
I Dare

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Caelum on August 13th, 2011, 5:09 pm

"I would hate to get blood on the floor," Cian agreed in an entirely too casual tone of voice.

This was accompanied by a squint down at the floor in question -- weathered boards, scarred by the plodding a years. When he looked up it was with an apologetic smile, byre colored eyes taking in the elegant Symenestra and the young Vantha. Though the attitude displayed by the indolent line of his bearing and friendly tone of his voice was easy going, possibly even shallow, there was something in the manner which he looked at them suggesting a depth wherein the dark was held at bay by glowing, meddling hands of gods.

"Thank you," he went on to say while trudging about to lead the way down the hall, past bright kitchen and a musty storage room with the door ajar. Broken pieces of glass scattered at the foot of the stairs they turned before reaching, the glimpse of an over turned crate and a fine, small spray of blood marking the site of the healer's accident. "Always time for names. I'm Cian, by the way," he made the introduction over the slope of a rangy shoulder, smile sliding sideways at them.

The examination room he chose was small. A window over looked the flourishing garden in back, beyond which the leafy orchard canopy rustled in a high breeze. The counter was smooth and furnished with an assortment of jars holding everything from strips of gauze and tongue depressors to painstakingly labeled common medicines and tinctures.

A stool was kicked closer to the sheet covered table centered in the room and he proceeded to use it to step up so that he might sit on the edge of the table without having to use his hands for balance. He gave a nod to the cabinets and continued to hold his injured hand above one shoulder.

All the while, however, he talked, his Common possessed of a vague, meandering drawl hinting at somewhere far from here.

"Opal? Ha.. Oh." His smile flashed toward a grin for Darren. "It's named for the Opal Order," he explained. "Which is an organization comprised of skilled physicians and trained healers based out of Mura. Most Opal Order Healers are Konti," which, clearly, he was not. "I was honored to be asked to join after spending some time studying at their temple. Hence, Opal Clinic. Decidedly not round." This appeared to amuse him a great deal.

"This building was originally a garrison and lookout for the Watch -- Veldrys, the supplies are there. Help yourself, please. And I like plants. They're kind and useful," he flipped through the conversation with blurred transition. Veldrys' name he knew already due to hearsay and rumor.
Caelum

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Veldrys on August 21st, 2011, 11:07 am

Veldrys found Cian’s clinic a little strange as well. It was completely different from the room at the Purging where he had examined his patients. It seemed to be in a permanent state of chaos, but unlike Darren he didn’t say it out loud. He didn’t feel like stating the obvious or saying something that Cian might possibly consider impolite. Instead he simply followed the healer to the examination room, noticing the broken glass at the foot of the stairs. It would have to be removed soon, otherwise he’d have to deal with bleeding feet on top of Cian’s injury. He glanced at the human, wondering if he should say something, but then he decided against it, figuring that Cian was most likely aware of it.

While Cian answered Darren’s questions, the Symenestra took a look around the room and gathered the things he would need to treat the human’s wound. If there was glass in the wound, he’d need tweezers to remove it. He would also need something to clean the wound afterwards, a bandage and scissors to cut it into the right size. „How did you come to study in Mura?“ he asked while he put the things on the table, next to Cian. Having that done, he proceeded to quickly clean the tweezers with a bit of alcohol. He didn’t know why, but he had observed that there were fewer complications and fewer infections if he cleaned his instruments thoroughly beforehand.

„Give me your hand“, he said. If Cian complied, he would proceed to inspect the wound and remove any glass that was in it.
Veldrys
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Caelum on October 4th, 2011, 12:49 am

OOCProceeding without Darren at this juncture.

"Would you mind helping Naomi clean up the mess in the hall?" The physician asked of Darren with an encouraging smile. There was a quality to his tone that, while outwardly laid back, suggested he was not a man who put up well with disobedience.

Of course, that did not stop a good tenth of Denval from being the sort of patients to get forgiveness rather than gain permission.

Darren disappeared into the hall, the exam room door swinging shut behind him with a creak of brass hinges in need of a good squirt of oil. Cian, meanwhile, managed to watch Veldrys' selections from the array of available medical equipment without seeming concerned. In fact, he appeared perfectly at ease in the presence of another healer, and emanated an attitude of faith in the Symenestra's abilities that was meant to be encouraging.

When told, Cian unbent his elbow, a thick bead of blood channeling over his wrist to drip onto the otherwise sterile sheet. His busted hand therefore delivered to Veldrys for healing, he eyed the tweezers he knew were going to cause him no little amount of discomfort, while picking back up the conversation.

"A right bitch by the name of Maeclair Solduvan. Lady hauled me half way around the world and dumped me on the steps of sweet Rak'keli's temple in Mura. That was, ah," he squinted, trying to remember. This was not a man who counted the hours. He was, rather, the sort to do all in his power to avoid such a thing. There were too many already stretching between him and what had been home. "Ten years ago. Thereabouts. You ever been to Mura, Veldrys? It's a glorious lovely place. You should visit if you ever had the chance."
Caelum

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Next