[Verlyna's Emerald Pond] Sword or Fist? (Bones)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Considered one of the most mysterious cities in Mizahar, Alvadas is called The City of Illusions. It is the home of Ionu and the notorious Inverted. This city sits on one of the main crossroads through The Region of Kalea.

Postby Ricky Maze on September 4th, 2011, 6:50 pm

Such an incredible swing that Ricky nearly was pushed off balance, had he not his own strength to counter this attack. Surely Bones was holding back most of his strength, which proved that the Dhani are indeed strong creatures. Ricky, both hands on the handle, had managed to push off the attack after a minute of blocking, and make a low swing toward the legs. He pulled his power back too, not only because he didn't want to risk hurting his opponent but to also conserve most of his strength for better parrying or blocks.

So he's a heavy hitter, but let's see how well his defense is. It was a test, locating the open areas of your open first then utilizing them to your advantage was one of the great ways to win a fight. Even in a sparring match, this was important to remember.
Journal - Plotnotes - Announcement!
Scrapbook - Shop (Closed)- Vlogs
Credit goes to Fallon for allowing me to temper with her codings! :)
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Words: 2035002
Joined roleplay: March 30th, 2011, 9:02 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Ssafirsotibones on September 6th, 2011, 3:18 pm

Bones looked at his style, and felt it was a bit off. As he had said before, Bones had his own philosophy on fighting. A person should play to there strengths, and try to win in the way that they had an advantage.

And so watching a puny human try to overpower his attack, and push it off with brute force head on with his own... That was foolish... It was comical... So much so that Bones even tried a rather human expression of a smile. Well, it was Bones attempt at a smile... He had trouble with it, and it appeared as more of a grimace really, which was rather creepy.

But Bones thought the entire thing was funny... And so he decided to say something, felling the need to give out some advice.

"I am not a massster ssswordsssman, but I do have my own philosssophy about fighting. If you want to win, you mussst play to your ssstrengths, and ussse what ssskill you have ssat isss better ssan your opponentsss ssskill in the area."

"Now you tried to ssstop me with head on brute force, trying to match my ssstrength. But that isss not sssomething you can do. My strength is much greater ssan your own."

This was not said in a rude way, in fact Bones entire speech seemed rather neutral, almost without emotion. He was simply stating a fact, and telling things as he saw them.

"Everyone must fight in ssere own way. A tall man uses hisss height, a short one usssesss hisss lack of height... A ssstrong man usssesss his ssstrength... But what are you good at? If you are not as ssstrong, you cannot out force me. So you must either redirect my attacksss, and parry them... Or not be were I try to strike. Those are your optionsss..."

"Play to your ssstrengthsss... What are your ssstrengthsss?"

Having said this, Bones would move in for another attack, similar to the last one, trying to make a slash across the other mans chest. Though it he was not really expecting the attack to hit him.

If Ricky was smart, he would not try to defend in the same way, but in one of the ways Bones had offered. Or perhaps he had a third option using one of his other skills? Who knew... Bones surely did not.
Bones is a Constrictor Dhani. He likes to eat meat. He also has some speech problems.

When he speaks, a double s (ss) means a [th] sound, that he cannot say.

A triple s (sss) means just an [s], but it is extended in his speech.

Ssafirsotibones
Player

Words: 440799
Joined roleplay: July 7th, 2011, 5:37 am
Race: Dhani
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Ricky Maze on September 8th, 2011, 10:22 pm

Ricky sponged the advice given to him, Bones did have a point and his facts were indeed true. As he went in for another swing to the chest, Ricky prepared himself; searching deep inside to find what his strength was. He remembered the night with the bear, and how he felt when Odis was hurt. He also remembered that he pinpointed the blade at an angle that would pierce through it's chest, though it wasn't necessarily related to now it still was him in the moment. That was what he needed. He needed to find that fighter within him, that swordsman that waited to appear.

When he focused on the swing Bones had intended he could see it was meant for him to block, no doubt about it of course. It was most likely he'd be overpowered, but Ricky had strength of his own. He was being told to find that strength now, and use it as he would in a real fight. Without much time to react though, Ricky only showed a more focused expression, while still relaxed.

Sword ready and in hand, he prepared himself for the block. If Ricky wasn't strong enough to block this attack, then at least he could be reflexive. After feeling the two swords collide, he ducked under and spun around; allowing his sword to follow. He took a minute to regain his footing, then looked to Bones to see what he thought. "Is that considerable enough?"
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Ssafirsotibones on September 9th, 2011, 12:16 am

Bones watched as he made his strike, wondering what Ricky would do. He once more brought his sword up to meet Bones. He seemed to be trying to block at first, but then he did some odd duck and spin maneuver.

It was certainly different... Though he was not sure if it was better... He himself would have parried, and tried to send the blade in a different way, using its momentum against it. Since it was hard to stop a slash in the middle of doing it.

"Well.... Ssat wasss different... Ssough I am not sssure if it wasss better... You might not want to ssspin around for no reassson in a fight... If I had wanted to, I could have jussst ssstabbed you in the back..."

"It left you open when you did it... Being flassshy and doing sssuch movesss do you no good if you get killed doing it... Better to do sssimple movesss, ssan one overly complicated."

He shrugged, as it was just his opinion, it was up to a fighter to choose their own way that worked for them. Bones personal preference was to use simple moves that worked every time, regardless of how they looked.

But he also tended to fight in a lot of life or death battles, were there was no room for being fancy, or trying something risky. You had to just use the simplest thing that could be used over and over.

Only in one on one combat was there room for improvisation and going beyond the basics. But that usually involved another person. But this was Bones way, Ricky probably had or would develop his own... If he did not get killed first.
Bones is a Constrictor Dhani. He likes to eat meat. He also has some speech problems.

Ssafirsotibones
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Ricky Maze on September 9th, 2011, 7:39 am

Ricky was left in a mix of emotion, mainly; he didn't know whether to smirk or frown. Though it was indeed different, Bones found it unnecessary and "flashy" really. Yet had Ricky decide to continue with his attack after dodging, what would've Bones thought then. It was then the focus within his eyes intensified.

"I have no doubt that you're style works for you, and you are indeed title to your opinion; but shouldn't you at least consider the possible counter attack I could've made had I decided to go for it." It seemed to Ricky that Bones was really helping him, but then again maybe Ricky was finally learning something that Bones didn't see. "When facing something or someone stronger then you, it's best to find a way to penetrate their defense. The first swing I tried to block was to measure how well my strength compared to yours. After taking in the advice you gave, I found that since my strength couldn't compare to yours in the slightest then try another tactic." He remembered it, though it was performed so sudden that he hardly could keep up he managed to remember the steps.

"Using a counter active measure, I dodged your sword and could've went into an attack of my own. Yet I decided not to for a couple of reason. The main one being that it would've been to risky, seeing that we're just sparring." He let a slight grin escape, wondering what Bones opinion was now. "You said that everyone has their own strengths, if mine can't compare to yours then obviously my reflexes can be put to the test."
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Ssafirsotibones on September 10th, 2011, 7:53 pm

Bones made his odd smirk at hearing Ricky's response. He had not really cared that much about it, but by his answer he could tell he had conviction. Neither one of them were to good at fighting, but you had to believe in yourself if you were going to stick to it.

"Of courssse you can have your own opinion. I wasss sssimply giving what I ssought. The important ssing isss to know what you want to do, and to believe in it. If you want to get better, you mussst be dedicated to it. And your resssponssse wasss not weak. Which isss good. What sssay we try a bit of fighting with our bodiesss, inssstead of weaponsss?"

If Ricky agreed, he would put away his gladius, and stand in a ready position. He would let Ricky make the first move this time.

He would see how it would work out, one fighter against another. Though he had several different fighting styles, which might give him an advantage.

Ssafirsotibones
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Ricky Maze on September 11th, 2011, 1:00 am

It seems that Bones was ready to test Ricky's unarmed combat, which Ricky really lacked in that skill. The only thing he was good at was brawling really, and that was easier when he was drunk. More entertaining as well, since the alcohol made most of the pain go away. However Ricky didn't refuse this opportunity, instead he thought it a good idea to try and learn some things.

Stabbing the sword in the ground, he readied his fists for the next trial ahead. "I'm sure there's something you'd like to teach me in this form of combat as well." He popped his finger's and knuckles, then waited to see what Bones would do. It seems that he wanted Ricky to move first, which though Ricky was unsure about it he took the opportunity to try a combo. Arching one arm in the air, he threw his fist forward to Bones; hoping he could go into a one two punch.
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Ssafirsotibones on September 12th, 2011, 4:12 pm

Bones waited patiently, to see what his partner would attempt. When he came at him, Bones responded, trying a nice combo of two different fighting styles.

Using both his unarmed combat and wrestling skills, Bones moved and blocked the blow, thrusting at the arms wrist which was trying to punch him. Then he grabbed the wrist, and tried to use Ricky's momentum against him.

Since he was already moving forward trying to punch him, Bones would carry that movement on. Pulling at the wrist, he would try to pull him farther and end with him off balance, then try another pull to flip him over onto his back.

It was a rather simple move of wrestling to use your opponents momentum against them, and to get them off balance so as to knock them down or send them flying. A basic application of leverage, combined with a take down. And the redirection and parry of the initial punch was more of an unarmed combat skill.

That was one good thing about combining skills, it often made the skills together better than they would be individually, and they made openings that the other style could utilize.

If he was successful, he would be careful not to slam down Ricky to hard. That combined with the soft dirt would mean he would be up quite quickly. Though Bones would take a few steps back so as to give him time to reach his feet, and so he knew Bones was not going to attack him while he was down. They were only sparring after all...

Ssafirsotibones
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Ricky Maze on September 12th, 2011, 7:19 pm

When Ricky's wrist was dodged and caught he knew the attack he threw had failed, but when Bones so happen to throw him off balance he knew he needed to expect more. After Bones had finally thrown him onto his back and stepped away, Ricky finally regained his sense of direction. Regaining the breathe that was knocked out of him, he staggered as he managed to get on his feet. "Wow, really caught me off guard there." He grinned, rubbing the back of his head in embarrassment. Though it happened pretty quick Ricky kept up with what it was he did. "Pretty impressive maneuver there, something I won't be forgetting anytime soon."

His breathing had finally met it's normal pace, and his focus was now on full. His mind was open and ready to learn, "Got something else you'd like to show me?"
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Ssafirsotibones on September 12th, 2011, 8:18 pm

Bones watched as the man regained his composure, and got back to his feet. He seemed decent at taking a blow, or at least in landing. A good thing to know how to do if you were going to be hit or thrown around.

"No big deal... I ussse a combination of wresssting and basssic unarmed combat to fight... I find together ssey are much better than individually... But to each hisss own? What do you ussse?"

"I alssso use a bit of brawling, on occasssion, but not asss much... I prefer my osser more ordered fighting ssstylesss. But whatever gets the job done."

Looking at how things had gone, he wondered on showing him something else. Not much came to mind, but there were a few things. Better to start with something basic. That was the usual technique of not being hit.

"Okay,well, lets try a basssic avoidance of a hit. I will try to punch you, and you try to not get hit. Whatever way you want, you can parry it like I did your blow before the osser ssstuff, ssough the rest would be hard to do wissout sssome ssskill in wressstling... You could dodge it and ssstay out of itsss way completely... Or whatever else..."

Standing at his ready position, Bones prepared himself, and then made a single punch at the mans chest. Not to hard, he did not want to hurt him, but just to see how he would react so as to not be hit. Whatever way he would choose to do it.

Ssafirsotibones
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

PreviousNext