Introducing thread summaries!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

IC News travels slowly in Mizahar. Fortunately there is a constant stream of news from around campfires, from caravan to caravan and from merchants to merchants. Within this forum lies the best of the best of this talk. Also, within this forum, OOC news from the staff and players can be found. This forum requires all posts to be 'approved' by a Founder before they are displayed. So if you post within, be patient. Your post did display - it simply will not show to everyone until approved as actual 'news'. Please keep all Introductions, Status Updates, and various other discussions in their appropriate forums and leave this area for game news!

Postby Tarot on September 11th, 2011, 8:44 pm

Hello Mizaharians,

I was told some of you wished to make our threads more immediately visible to new players in an effort to engage them from the very start. After all, we provide lots of info but the actual roleplaying is a few more clicks away and people are left wondering where the real thing is. That got me thinking. I could have implemented a section on the front page with the latest IC threads, but a mechanical approach left me unsatisfied. Isn't there something more user-friendly, providing a little info on our threads instead of just throwing up links? Or we - the Founders - could have picked out sample threads, like we do in the welcome PM new players get. But those threads would look old after a while, and we'd have to keep picking new ones.

So I was reminded of an old feature I wanted to add - thread summaries - and merged the two. You may have noticed a new field under the title when you post a thread in the IC forums. "Thread summary". There you can write, in up to 400 characters, what the thread is about. It's optional, and should only be used for IC threads (and spellchecked!) Now, the latest threads with a summary are picked and shown on the front page together with their summary. You can edit the summary by editing the first post in a thread, so the thread starter and mods are able to do so.

I'm also going to display the summaries elsewhere tomorrow or so. Let me know if you have any suggestions! :)
Tarot's thread tickets: sold out. Not accepting any more threads for the time being unless I promised you one. Sorry for the inconvenience!
Tarot
May you live in interesting times

Words: 766317
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:29 pm
Blog: View Blog (11)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Being Tarot Award (1)
O RLY Decoration (1)

Postby Gossamer on September 11th, 2011, 9:10 pm

Even on his birthday, he's working hard for us! Thanks for the code, GP... this is going to be amazing for all of us! Now we'll not have to guess what threads are about, but instead be able to read a brief summary and know!
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Matthial on September 11th, 2011, 10:05 pm

WoW! That is awesome my good sir! Thanks for the continued hard work!
Matthial
Tainted Knight

Words: 60991
Joined roleplay: June 21st, 2011, 4:05 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Jilitse on September 12th, 2011, 4:00 pm

You know, in many cultures I believe it is the birthday boy who should be receiving presents... but thanks all the same! Love the new feature!

Happy birthday GP!
I. Vox Populi, Vox Dei
II. The Night the Watchtowers Cried

I am nothing special, of this I am sure. I am a common woman with common thoughts and I've led a common life. There are no monuments dedicated to me and my name will soon be forgotten, but I've loved another with all my heart and soul, and to me, this has always been enough.
Jilitse
I just arrived (again). Please be kind.

Words: 520837
Joined roleplay: March 5th, 2010, 8:22 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Artist (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)
GP's Angels (1)

Postby Kovac on September 13th, 2011, 6:31 pm

The Thread Summary addition is absolutely the beans....I love it. Thanks Tarot!!
Kovac
Snarky Mongrel

Words: 534544
Joined roleplay: March 1st, 2010, 7:19 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Oracle on September 13th, 2011, 6:33 pm

Thank you so much for this! It's a little late but happy birthday hon and thank you once again for your dedication to this site.
Zeltiva Lore****Zeltiva Forum****The University

Please see my absence thread if I have not responded in some way in over 24 hours
Oracle
AS of Zeltiva

Words: 53472
Joined roleplay: September 4th, 2011, 2:41 am
Office
Scrapbook

Postby Cachet on September 13th, 2011, 6:34 pm

I'm going to start doing this ASAP. Sounds extremely helpful. Thanks Tarot. Your extreme devotion to this site is inspiring.

Listen to the island
The waves and wind
That is the pulse
Note it, feel it
And become one with serenity

Cachet
The Murian Beach Bum (6zillion)

Words: 144588
Joined roleplay: August 21st, 2011, 3:01 am
Office

Postby Indigo on September 13th, 2011, 7:14 pm

Damn well done, and thank you for this wonderful new toy to make Miza even better! *hugs n offers mounds of tiramisu and amaretto for all your hard work* <3 We appreciate all that you do for us very much!! :D
Indigo
As you wish (no1 gets princess bride quotes)

Words: 84986
Joined roleplay: August 31st, 2011, 10:46 pm

Postby Aidara on September 14th, 2011, 12:10 am

Wow! You're Brilliant, GP. Thanks for all that you do!

..I guess I can be the "ITS AWESOME But..." person...

I think it would be even more brilliant if they showed up under the "new posts" section that you were talking about. Then, while your skimming, you can see the descriptions instead of having to click over to the forum it was posted in... Cause, y'know...that's a lot of work and all... ^_^
Aidara
The "i" is silent

Words: 946840
Joined roleplay: October 6th, 2010, 5:20 am
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 10
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Wind Reach Seasonal  Challenge (1)
Power Fork (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Tarot on September 14th, 2011, 7:35 pm

Summaries are now shown in the new posts if available. I just waited a little longer in case I heard a general uproar of "noooooo this game is forever ruined!" :)
Tarot's thread tickets: sold out. Not accepting any more threads for the time being unless I promised you one. Sorry for the inconvenience!
Tarot
May you live in interesting times

Words: 766317
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:29 pm
Blog: View Blog (11)
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Being Tarot Award (1)
O RLY Decoration (1)

Next