(Seasonal Quest)Signs in the Mist: Ancient Cries Pt. I

Seasonal quest Pt:1; Finale players will be drawn from those that participate in this thread. Levi will be working on another chapter:pt 2. ;) Watch for it.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

Postby Bob Barton on October 24th, 2011, 1:54 am

A very nice hit by Bob and the laughing increased for a moment. It was a good lesson that Darik always needed. Putting Darik on the same level as a common household animal would be insulting...to the animals and Bob won't make that comparison. Having Jinsen around him most of the time reminding him about Darik would be completely bad. Bob lifted the whip up in front of Darik ready for another strike. That first one was for the horse from last season which was why it was pretty soft but the next one will be a lot harder because Darik tried to threaten Bob with death. Bob might be a midget but he was a midget who was a lot more tougher than Darik would think.

But Bob already got what he wanted, teaching the boy a lesson. If what he wanted was to hurt or kill Darik, he would have used his sword instead of the whip and no one would bat an eyelid. Darik's measure of a person, and how he concluded that Bob was a loser is something to be laughed at. Obviously Bob was not going to let anyone know that he did have money...in Sunberth as soon as someone found out about the wealth he has accumulated throughout his lifetime, it would disappear in a matter of days. Friends he had a lot more compared to Darik, some who the boy is already acquainted with on very bad terms. And skills? Bob had a lot of things that he can do. A lot which can even surprise himself so Darik would soil his pants as soon as he knew. So according to Darik's own criterias, he was the even bigger loser here.

Not that Bob will waste his time to explain anything to him because Darik still did not learn his lesson. No one can mess with Bob unless they were a lot more stronger than him. Shrugging off the icy daggers targeted at him, Bob told him his reason. It was a very good one too. "My reason? Simple. Because you are Darik and there is no way I can allow you to think you can get away with constantly threatening me." Just to show that Bob was the one in a position of power, he cracked the whip again to the side. He was aiming for the nicely balanced pot on the top of the trash just to show Darik the skills the boy thought he was lacking but as luck would have it, the eventhough Bob swept the handle straight at the pot the rest of the whip hit the trash instead. He was not going to admit this failure, instead using this as a chance to try and scare Darik more. "Yes, you too can be the next victim like the trash you are."

Before the pair could continue their usual nonsense, they were interrupted by some rowdy shouting but this was not the normal kind you can hear in Sunberth. They sounded more scared and panicked. Admission of weakness you will not normally hear and they were coming closer... "What now?" he moaned taking his eyes off the boy only to see what their exchange attracted and it was not pretty at all. Big, muscular men reduced to crying women. Crying out that there was something was happening and to escape it...they were going to need to use Bob and Darik. From their tone Bob could tell that it was nothing nice and told Darik "we'll settle this some other time" and ran off into the alley to the side.

They ended up in Stumble Alley strangely enough and nothing good ever happens there but maybe today Bob might find a good place to hide himself. The best place would be the Disappearing Drunk. After what happened last season, Bob and Darik would not be welcome there anymore but with all the strange things today maybe he would make an exception. "Let us in!" he yelled as he banged on the door.

No one opened it. Leaving Bob and Darik out to whatever wicked ideas these people have to get the help they needed. Even Darik would not want to take his chances with them so Bob banged on the door again harder yelling "quickly let us in. Before they get us!" That door was never going to open unless some brave soul decides to help them, unlikely in Sunberth and even if there was one he could not wait any longer. Before the group reached them, Bob looked around the alley again for a place to hide in.

Bob waved in parting because he can "see you later Darik!" if the boy was able to live through this and headed towards the only building with an open door. When he got closer he saw that it was not an open door but a doorless opening. A ruined building if he could guess seeing that it was empty inside. It was like that house he explored with Leiwinn a few days back, completely bare and empty. Everything of value and worth looted by the other people but maybe if he was lucky there would be a door he can lock himself behind inside.
Bob Barton
Player

Words: 1121818
Joined roleplay: July 2nd, 2011, 12:21 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Zenai on October 24th, 2011, 2:33 am

"Bob? Bob, is that you?" Zenai asked from behind the door. He got closer to the door and pressing his ears to the door. He didn't hear anything else afterwards but he could also hear sounds and noises that were typically signs of trouble. Sight was useless since there's a very thick fog outside and all he can see through the windows were more fog. After that warning he got from the tavern-keeper, he decided to indeed stay in the tavern. The fog really looks ominous than the usual fog and he has this itch in the back of his mind that something terrible is going to happen. Perhaps something more terrible than whatever he can imagine right now or later even. He wanted to get into bed for a good night's sleep but the frantic knocking of the door has caught his attention. Moreover, it sounded like Bob. Why was Bob out in this fog anyway? He may be a greedy opportunist but Zenai was sure he had some common sense in that little skull of his. Is he trying to rob people in the fog? Was Bob even attuned to robbing people in the fog? He usually does in right in front of them. No one would look there for their missing personal items. Or was it Bob at all? It may be one of the many denizens of Sunberth who has a grudge against Zenai and used Bob's voice to draw Zenai out. Whatever it is, he may as well deal with it now.

He puts his gloved hand softly and gently around the door knob while still pressing his ears to the door itself so he can keep a sense of what's going on outside. He used his other hand to draw out his sword, ready to parry or strike his would-be attackers. Zenai licked his lips because it was dried and he should have drunk something to wet his lips. He got into a pouncing position; perhaps if he catches the ambusher off guard, then Zenai would have the initiative. He then thought he also wants to know who is after him. Information is power and intimidation can sometimes be useful for drawing out information.

Zenai slowly turn the door knob and when it was completely opened, he pushed the door open and sprung out to find no one. He looked around to find any signs of Bob but saw a dark figure heading towards an abandoned building; the dark figure was short. It was Bob alright... At the lips of the door, Zenai wondered whether or not he should get involved. For one, Bob is a friend and a friend is a friend but for two, Bob normally gets into trouble regularly. He likes some trouble-magnet.

Zenai sighed and went to chase him down into the ruined building. Zenai made sure he has everything on him before chasing him down. However, even before that, he locked the door to the tavern. Don’t want to let the draft, fog and unsavoury types to get into that nice taven. Approaching the abandoned building, it was obviously the only one that could hide a runaway e.g. Bob. Probably with all the nooks and crannies, Bob could easily hide from most people. Zenai may as well try to get to Bob and help him out with whatever that isn’t most people.
Green is when I'm speaking Common.
Blue is when I'm thinking in my Mind.
Teal is when everybody else is speaking.
Red is when I'm speaking Nari.
Zenai
Old Legs' Tagger

Words: 201414
Joined roleplay: October 3rd, 2011, 2:48 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1

Postby Eridanus on October 24th, 2011, 1:34 pm

The mist formed into the shape of a gnarled claw, and reached for his throat, choking the life slowly but surely out of him.

Eridanus awoke from his nightmare, breathing heavily and sweat rolling indiscriminately down his forehead.

This dream is so strange, so alien, yet familiar. I do not recall having this dream before, yet there is this strange feeling of familiarity.

Gasping, Eri looked around him quickly, taking stock of the situation. Due to pure exhaustion from the previous day, the Ethaefal had decided to take an early nap in a discreet corner somewhere in the lawless city. In this case, this discreet corner would be a hidden spot somewhere in an abandoned building not far from a tavern. Eridanus likes his sources of food to be convenient. He looked at his arm as his wiped the perspiration off his eyebrows and noticed that his skin tone is now as pale as the slivers of moon light that shown through the gaps in the abandoned building's rafters.

The celestial being shrugged and expediently kept his sleeping things, stowing it away in his backpack and secured the two long swords that were placed in a parallel and slanted manner on his back. Straightening up, he began towards the exit of the building, before stopping and narrowing his eyes when he heard a disturbance. It was not like he had any psychic sense per se, but the ruins were so rickety that any sudden movements would minimally vibrate the foundations of the building. If one is not paying attention one might not notice, but you don't live long in a place like Sunberth if you did not pay attention to your surroundings.

Instantly, he went into a practiced stance that would make further movements efficient, whether was it for tumbling or running. He did not draw his swords however, for that tended to make an unpleasant sound and was the universal symbol for "I want to kill you".

The Ethaefal carefully crept towards where he believed the newly arrived person (or thing?) was.

OOC: Yes thats the same abandoned building where the party's at :)
NOTICE: I am currently mostly inactive til August. As such, guild activities are temporarily halted (watch out for major revamps, changes and organizations when I'm back in full force). Any activity with Eri will be rather slow as well, but I am slowly readjusting back to "Mizahar life", so to speak, so do PM me if we have a thread that I left hanging and we'll talk.

"You must be one hardcore scholar, Eri." (Laszlo)
First winner of the prestigious Mirage's No Kill Medal.
Eridanus
It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time!

Words: 1312082
Joined roleplay: October 24th, 2011, 2:03 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1) 2011 Top NaNo Word Count (1)

Postby Zenai on October 24th, 2011, 1:59 pm

Zenai looked through the ruins of the abandoned building where supposedly Bob was apparently hiding. Such a waste, he thought. Wasted space was not usually tolerated back in Syliras or Wind Reach and would normally be cleared for a more useful infrastructure. It made sense; good land was to be utilized to its fullest yet keeping it mind to keep it "healthy" for the long term. In any case, he could hardly see anything with the combination of darkness and fog impeding his sights. That's why he had ears and other senses. Being in a decrepit ruin, Zenai had to be careful with his steps; don't want the floor the collapse under his weight then falling into a pit of either spiders, wolves or other predators of the darkness. He also had to feel his way through, don't want the odd cobwebs getting into his face nor that fallen piece of timber suddenly pouncing him. Sometimes Zenai wished Sunberth wasn't this...messy, he wished for it to be something more like Syliras excluding the Syliran Knights. Actually, it would be the same since you got organizations like the Daggerhand going about with their business and such. Zenai sighed at the thought.

Where was Bob? Perhaps I should call him out and- his thoughts was interrupted by a creek. It wasn't his creek but a creek made by another person...or thing even. He slowly try to grab one of his swords while looking all around for the source of the creek. It could be Bob but Zenai doesn't want to take the chance. It could be whatever that was after Bob. He tried to focus everything into finding the source of the sound and with much effort, he did indeed found it. A figure can be seen through the fog and darkness. He or she or whatever seems to be in a position to pounce him and in midst of hiding in-between the fallen beams. The figure saw Zenai and Zenai saw the figure. Both knew that both were ready to draw their own weapon. Zenai thought for a second; he had some advantage with his own weapon, a talon sword which is good for confined space such as this abandoned building. Then again, it could be someone who's not gonna gut him for his mizas. He had to decide now or he might lose the initiative. His gut told him to at least address this...being on the off-chance it might scare his would-be attacker off or with a friendly figure, not kill each other over a misunderstanding.

"Hail and well met. I am Zenai. What is your business here?"
Zenai
Old Legs' Tagger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Eridanus on October 24th, 2011, 2:40 pm

Eridanus stiffened when he saw the new arrival. He paused, his mind quickly calculating the odds of various combat manoeuvres. The figure seemed to be ready to draw his weapon, yet it also seemed that it was considering the odds just as he was. It was possible that this figure was as surprised as he was, and probably was not there to disembowel him. Still, this was Sunberth and people who liked to make assumptions tended to be the ones at the unfortunate end of a bandit's blade. He decided to roll if the figure as much as pulled anything out of its cloak. After all, a crossbow bolt anywhere in your body tended to hurt like hell, even if one was in his celestial form. As he focused, he now realized that there was fog that crept into the building behind the figure. He could not recall much of his nightmare beyond the part where he got strangled by fog, and this fog looked almost the same as the one in his dream. Eri was wary, there is no such thing as coincidence and maybe this figure had something to do with the fog, his dream, and maybe the possibility of his demise. However, his thoughts were interrupted when he heard a loud male voice proclaiming his name.

I'll have to see how it goes, don't I?

He knew that in his celestial form, his voice took on a different quality as compared to his human self. When Leth watches over all and his rightful being was restored, Eridanus had a majestic voice, beautiful yet cold, a voice that gives all mortals the feeling of wanting to continue hearing it and finding out the source of it, but preferably doing so half a world away. Such was the ethereal essence of Ethaefal.

"Eridanus. I awoke from my slumber to find myself in this... uncomfortable situation. Pray tell what do you have in mind, my good man?"
NOTICE: I am currently mostly inactive til August. As such, guild activities are temporarily halted (watch out for major revamps, changes and organizations when I'm back in full force). Any activity with Eri will be rather slow as well, but I am slowly readjusting back to "Mizahar life", so to speak, so do PM me if we have a thread that I left hanging and we'll talk.

"You must be one hardcore scholar, Eri." (Laszlo)
First winner of the prestigious Mirage's No Kill Medal.
Eridanus
It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time!

Words: 1312082
Joined roleplay: October 24th, 2011, 2:03 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1) 2011 Top NaNo Word Count (1)

Postby Zenai on October 26th, 2011, 12:05 pm

"Good to meet you, Eridanus. I'm just looking for a friend. I thought he came here to hide but I only found you. Sorry for waking you up from your nap. I apologize and do hope you don't take offense to it." Zenai let go off his sword as a peace gesture. No need to agitate Mr. Eridanus further. "Hey, I was wondering if you... saw anyone that came by here. He's short kind of fellow. Dirty looking and you would probably want to punch or even toss him." Zenai asked if there was the off-chance that this Eridanus guy actually saw Bob went by. Come to think of it, was the shadow really Bob? Petch his eyes and petch this fog. He should stayed in the tavern but sometimes, duty would come calling and it did though he's, once again, starting to regret ever befriending Bob. Such is life and its sense of humor. And what about this Eridanus fellow. Zenai took a good look at him and despite the fog, Zenai can clearly make out some of his more obvious features; 1) his almost beautiful features, which makes him a pretty boy; and 2) his horns. He had heard of them before and saw a few in his own lifetime but he hasn't had the opportunity to face or speak to one. Interesting times indeed...
Zenai
Old Legs' Tagger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Darik on October 26th, 2011, 9:11 pm

The little man’s words carried no logic upon them. He used flaw reasoning to try to prove a flawed argument. Even if he had real reasons he had chosen a topic impossible to disprove: Darik was awesome. Saying otherwise is like sleeping with your mother, it just doesn’t make sense.

Either Bob was really bad with the whip, or he had spot on perfect aim. Darik bet on option one. Bob caused trash to spill everywhere, which included Darik’s shoe. He shook the rubbish off, it was just like Bob, worthless. ”Bob you do know that you unleashed the trash? If I was the trash, which I am not, you just allowed more to seep into the city.” A brilliant idea dawned into Darik’s humongous brain. ” Wait a second, I love your idea. I am the trash. I am everywhere, controlling the city. Why bob, you’re not as stupid as you look.” A smile started to form on Darik’s lips, he had outsmarted the shorrty once again.

Men appeared on his limited field of his view, as he was about to carry on the conversation. Bob scampered immediately, and Darik did likewise. But he didn’t go the same way as the man. No, he had to carve his own way into the world. Anyway, Darik could easily outmaneuver Bob in the dark. Or so he hoped. If he didn’t he would end up with his guts painting the streets a bright red.

Running in the mist wasn’t bad, it carried moisture. Humidity is great when running, it replenishes all the body fluids that are lost through sweat glands. Problem is, while it keeps you hydrated, it makes finding were your feet are a pain. Darik had to constantly look down, so he didn’t step on rusty pieces of glass or other fragments. It got so bad, Darik had to regroup with Bob. It wasn’t hard, Bob screamed like a little girl.

Once Darik saw him finishing banging the door, he disappeared somewhere. Darik couldn’t tell were, everything was blurry. He needed a place to escape though, he heard a conversationZenai+ Erindus taking place in a building a few places over. Conversations at this time of day never turn out to be filled with rainbows and ponies.

He veered into a completely random building sprinting. He may have misjudged his distance because he hit a wall oocThe majestic’s shield. He crumpled to the ground cursing his stupidity. He lay there for minutes regaining his senses. Once he got up, he saw the impossible. There was nothing there. How the hell did that happen? He moved his finger through the air, but it couldn’t pass a certain point. Very odd indeed, but that didn’t matter. Darik would find a way to bypass this new barrier. Though, why did he see a faint shape past the barrier?
Darik
Troublemaker

Words: 231903
Joined roleplay: July 6th, 2011, 5:42 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Bob Barton on October 26th, 2011, 10:19 pm

Darik...you will never know what that boy was thinking but one thing was sure, he might not be a fast thinker but he can run fast. "Even trash has some use I suppose..." he muttered as he saw Darik speed off in front of him. Very useful indeed. Bob could not help himself from laughing when he saw Darik smash into the barrier. "Hahaha...looks like there are places that trash cannot get into eh, trash? Hahaha..." which was a good thing. Now Bob won't have to "find out the truth the hard way, Darik?"

He ran after Darik into the Majestic but stopped right before the doorway and the boy to catch his breath. Running so much in a thick fog? Not a really good practice even if it was for your life. Lucky Bob had a good pair of shoes so even when he stepped on some fragments, it did not hinder him but the cracking sound reminded him that he should not do it often. Good thing that the fog will only last for a few days too because the pain in his chest was not something he wanted to feel again either.

He looked down at Darik. For any other person, maybe Bob would help them up. So he just left the boy up to his own devices in playing with the invisible barrier blocking them and peered out the doorway. Ohhhhh yes. They were trapped because the people which were coming after them were getting closer. He was not as close as Darik was to the barrier so he did not see any faint shapes but the barrier must have been protecting something. "Helloooooo. If there is anyone protecting themselves in there now would be a good time to let us in too."

Stupid, stupid people. Stupid Darik, stupid mob, stupid tavernowners who locked people out, stupid barrier putting people. Bob will teach them all a lesson if he could. But he couldn't even protect himself. Darik would make a pretty good shield but even he can't grab the mobs attention for too long. "Stop playing and prepare to defend yourself" he hissed preparing his whip to keep his attackers at bay until he needed his canesword when they got close. He heard the conversation from outside too and if they were not part of the mob, they might be potential victims as well. It would be good if they could "help! Especially if you don't want..." but he got cut off before he could rally anyone.
Last edited by Bob Barton on October 27th, 2011, 12:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
Bob Barton
Player

Words: 1121818
Joined roleplay: July 2nd, 2011, 12:21 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3

Postby Archelon on October 26th, 2011, 10:24 pm

Story Interlude

"Don't want what?" came a waspish voice just behind Bob's right shoulder. "Aww...Is the little Fleshling man in trouble? You know I'm trying to have a very important conversation about certain things with a man in here about all the trouble you fleshings have been causing. Poor sots don't even know what's about to happen to all of you do you?"

Looking to the right , Bob Barton would see just sticking out of the wall a thin transluscent figure of a woman, elegantly dressed, seemed to be half emerged from the waist within the brickwork. She was a tall woman, kind, and her eyes held equal parts of amusement, and equal parts of sorrow as she gazed about the street."Oh dear, they're getting awfully rambunctious about keeping people away from there... but what can you do, really? It is part of our duties to Watch over you Fleshlings you know. Horrible sort of job it is too, even if not all the ghosts agree with us."

Down the way where a few of the mob seemed to be chasing Barton and the rest of those near him down Stumble Alley. The figure held up her hand, and the mob stopped. Just staying there, with their implements and weapons still held at the ready as the woman just looked at Bob for a second, "Well as I was saying before your fleshly yelling so rudely interrupted me, I have to go speak to Doler for a bit. Maybe if you're still out here I'll talk to you again." The woman cocked her head to the side and smiled before giving Barton a little wave of one hand, " Cheerio."

Without another word, the woman's ghostly figure ducked back inside through the wall, and vanished from sight....
Thank you all for the privildege of moderating, unfortunately with deaths in the family and ailing health I am retiring. All thread grades I had on my pc have been forwarded to founders and paragon, so expect them posted soon.
It's been a mixed bag at times , but with all the good and the bad and mixed signals, I can honestly say: Thank you. Please support the next mods of sunberth as well as you have done me.
[/color]
Sunberth Forum | Sunberth Lore |Storyteller Guide and Requests |Ole Archie's Office|
Archelon
DS-Sunberth;

Words: 377245
Joined roleplay: August 22nd, 2011, 7:05 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Darik on October 27th, 2011, 12:07 am

Darik thought his situation was a cruel turn of fate. Not only was his back to a wall, I am not sure if it is figuratively or literally because it was invisible, but also he was going die next to Bob. If dying wasn’t a bad enough punishment, dying the same way as the inferior man would be torture. But maybe fate wasn’t such a cruel beast afterall, the mob was frozen.

The savior was a ghostly beauty. Only problem, she didn’t seem to care for Darik. She only addressed Bob like he was the only one in the vicinity. He wasn’t. Darik jumped up and down trying to get her attention but it didn’t work. Darik doubted if he broke down into interpretive dance the ghost would even bat an eyelash at him. That is, if ghosts have control over their eyes. You know, Darik didn’t know. He knew what a ghost was, but he didn’t know what bodily functions it entailed.

With the ghost finally gone, Darik spoke up. “Well she was a bitch. She didn’t even notice I was here!” Darik’s voice came close to whining, it was embarrassing. It was just like he was a child again, no one ever paid him any attention. No wonder he had turned out to be the attention seeker he is today. “Umm….” For once Darik was caught off guard. The circumstances were much to weird to think of a witty comeback.

Instead he went onto a topic of common interest, money. ”Bob, what do we do about them?” He pointed to the frozen figures. This could be a great time to make a fortune. ”Do you think we can loot them or will it disrupt the spell? I have no idea, but you and your lady friend seem to have a special bond.” His regular condescending manner started to surface once again. ”Now I wonder what you had to do for that bond though? Are you not pure because of it?”
Darik
Troublemaker

Words: 231903
Joined roleplay: July 6th, 2011, 5:42 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

PreviousNext