Novembers Bakeoff Challenge

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

IC News travels slowly in Mizahar. Fortunately there is a constant stream of news from around campfires, from caravan to caravan and from merchants to merchants. Within this forum lies the best of the best of this talk. Also, within this forum, OOC news from the staff and players can be found. This forum requires all posts to be 'approved' by a Founder before they are displayed. So if you post within, be patient. Your post did display - it simply will not show to everyone until approved as actual 'news'. Please keep all Introductions, Status Updates, and various other discussions in their appropriate forums and leave this area for game news!

Postby Fallacy on November 17th, 2011, 11:28 am

Brownies

Because we all love them

Hello Mizaharians, staff and players alike. Have you had the urge to bake but just dont have the determination to do it? Need a shiny medal to put a little sparkle to your profile here on Mizahar? Do you like being recognized for making delicious treats that make the mouth water? Well then, you have come to the right thread. I would like to announce this months bakeoff challenge. This month, or what is left of it, you all will be making Brownies, the sweet sinful chocolately squares that people love.

Want to participate in the making of said Brownies? Here is what you do:

• Get Brownie stuff
  • Make Brownies
  • Take pictures of Brownies while you are making them and of the finished product
  • Post said pictures here with the recipe (So I can steal it :)) and a report of how scrumptious they are and how much fun it was to make. ;)
  • Wait for medal

This must be done by the end of the month to be eligible for the medal. Be creative with your Brownies :) Make them look nice. Although its not required it would be neat to see peanut butter swirled chocolate Brownies :) Oh, and you might be thinking the month is half over, but I call that motivation! So make your Brownies and eat a sweet treat for an online medal. How better can this deal get?

Have a blast.

12 hour shifts have started, and Im working 6-7 days a week mandatory overtime. My replies will be slow until I can adjust to this new groove.
Fallacy
I think you're crazy just like me.

Words: 493223
Joined roleplay: June 23rd, 2011, 7:58 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Donor (1)

Postby Dusk on November 19th, 2011, 7:21 am

Okay. Okayokay.

Instead of making straight-up brownies, I got creative and made Pillow Cookies. What are pillow cookies? Well, they are basically a brownie wrapped in a chocolate cookie. You must eat them in your pajamas, and then lay on your couch and moan about how awesome your life is even though you are a fatty-fatty-no-friends. Or maybe that's just me.

So here's how you do it:

Make a batch of brownies. You basically just buy a box in the store and follow the directions. However, you shouldn't let them cook completely - leave them a bit gooey, enough so that it's semi-solid but hard to cut without it glooping. It should be gloopy.

Now make a batch of chocolate chip cookie dough. You can buy a bag of chocolate chips and just follow the directions on that. Seriously, this takes almost no effort.

Get an ice cream scoop, and squish the cookie dough into it, leaving a hole in the middle. Then you take a teaspoon of the brownie and fill in that divet. So it looks like this:

Yes, that is a gorilla.

Then you put some more cookie dough over it to fill in the rest of the ice cream scoop. Plop that bad boy onto a cookie sheet and give it some space!

We put a quarter down so you could see the crazy size of these things. Holy crap! That's huge!

Then you bake 'em up. Follow the directions for the cookie dough, but you'll probably have to bake it longer because they're big, so just keep an eye on them until they're nice and brown.

Sometimes even cookies need hugs.

Now just... eat the hell out of them. You can thank me afterwards.

PLEASE NOTE: Finals are over, but summer is eating my soul. As such, as of the end of June I will not be accepting any new quests/modded threads until I finish some of the ones I've already started/agreed to. My apologies for this, but I don't want to be unfair to those who have been waiting for replies!

Dusk's Office - Information on Syliras - Help Desk
Dusk
DS: Syliras and Wildlands

Words: 341560
Joined roleplay: April 6th, 2010, 5:33 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (2)
Trash Medal (1) Thunderspork (1)

Postby K'Sabe on November 19th, 2011, 12:53 pm

I could not resist this challenge, I'm addicted to browniesXD Sorry it is not so fancy and decorated but after playing Skyward Sword for one day and one night straight I'm not so alert, but still I couldn't resist making a brownie:)

For my special Swedish Brownies, (my mother's recipe originally) it takes a maximum of 5 minutes to mix up and then 25 minutes in the oven and it's like heaven to eat, both warm and cool:

I'm not sure how to translate the recipe to english so the measurements are mostly in Swedish unfortunately.
2 eggs
150 gram butter
2.5 dl Sugar
1.5 dl Flour
4 tbs Cocoa
1 tea spoon Vanilla sugar

Then you can mix it in whatever order you want but I always mix the dry ingredients first. In the meantime I melt the butter and when its done I add the eggs to the rest and then the melted butter and then I mix it with a spoon until its a nice concitency that doesn't stick the the sides of the bowl.

Delicious right;)

For my version of brownies I use a round ovenware and a mix of sugar and bread raspings. And then its oven time, ~ 25 minutes in 175 degrees. The outside should be crispy and the inside deliciously soft.
For desert its like heaven with a bit of whipped cream and maybe some rasberries on.

The best of course is when you make a cake out it, two brownies as layers and then custard and bananas in between the layers and whipped cream on top with some rasberries and blueberries as toppings. That is The Cake, for sure the best one I've ever tasted:)

Language code:
Speaking in Kontinese.
Speaking in Common.
Speaking in Tukant.
Yesterday is not ours to recover, but tomorrow is ours to win or lose.
K'Sabe
Player

Words: 52796
Joined roleplay: October 23rd, 2011, 12:55 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Xalet on November 24th, 2011, 7:00 am

Xalet's back, and with more baking power than ever. This time I don't have my wife around to do the photography (she's at her mother's for the day to help in preparation for our family Thanksgiving feast) unfortunately, it also means I don't have her natural aura of baking power in the kitchen with me. No problem though, this just means I get to do whatever I want. I know a thing or two, after all.

As such I bring to you Chocolate Fudge Peanut Butter Rice Krispy Marshmallow Man Brownies. Yeah, you heard that right. Alright, let's jump into this, to the ingredients!

Secret :

Notice Great Value makes it's appearance again. There's a few things you don't skimp on though, that being chocolate, marshmallow, and peanut butter. Where's the man ingredient you ask, that's coming.

So the first thing you do is make your typical fudge brownie. You know the drill, I'm not going to bore you with it, because there's a whole heap of crap we're going to do to this poor plain jane brownie:

Secret :

Now we put on a bag of marshmallows. Yeah, you heard me, the whole bag:

Secret :

Then you bake that at about 350 for 5 minutes or so, just so the mallows can get gooey:

Secret :

Now comes the fun part. So you let your marshmallow goo cool down so it solidifies and congeals into a solid mass of awesome (I put it in the fridge for a bit) and you start melting down your chocolate chips (one and a half cups), peanut butter (one cup), and some butter (one tablespoon) on low-medium heat:

Secret :

Now here comes the secret man ingredient. High quality protein powder. Oh yeah. Two scoops of this stuff will add vitamins, protein, and man power to your brownies. Go ahead, just mix it right in there (this part is totally optional, obviously :D):

Secret :

Take your melted down cauldron of godly brew from the heat, and stir in a cup and a half of rice krispies:

Secret :

Spread your ultimate crunchy protein sludge on top of the marshmallow topping and put it in the fridge for at least 30 minutes, or until the topping sets completely:

Secret :

And finally, you can cut up your brownie and enjoy. Here's a money shot of it sitting atop it's glass pedestal with an ice cold glass of skim milk:

Secret :

A super close-up:

Secret :

I tried it, it's freakin' delicious. I'm bringing it to the Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow. Just a few things to note. You'll see that I put tinfoil atop my baking pan. Make sure you do this, and spray the hell out of it with non-stick spray. The marshmallow is unbelievably sticky, and in the places it touched that were sprayed it came off like nothing, but I could tell some places I missed because it was very sticky. This also allows you to cut it super easy because you can just lift the foil up and put it down and then cut in straight lines.

Anyway that's about it, I enjoyed making them!
Xalet
The answer is more Body Building.

Words: 539431
Joined roleplay: July 5th, 2011, 11:37 pm
Race: Akalak
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Seodai on November 26th, 2011, 4:25 am

That's a brownie fit for an Akalak!
Seodai
The Green Thumb

Words: 176148
Joined roleplay: June 9th, 2011, 4:23 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kadrath Onktaka on November 26th, 2011, 6:49 pm

Now that's a real brownie. I'd eat that.
Just as light brightens darkness, discovering inner fulfillment can eliminate any disorder or discomfort.
Ourselves
It takes two men to make one brother.
Kadrath Onktaka
Four isn't a crowd; it's an Akontak date.

Words: 88536
Joined roleplay: September 24th, 2011, 12:13 am
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Jilitse on November 27th, 2011, 11:31 am

When I read the first instruction "Get brownie stuff." I immediately said "Betty Crocker Brownies." Not that I didn't want to use my mum's recipe (sorry mum!) but she's away today and I don't want to bake unsupervised (I always mess up her recipes).

So Betty Crocker to the rescue!

Mix egg, vegetable oil, water. Fml even my 10 year old nephew could do this! Learned from mum that when the box said to grease the bottom of the pan, you should grease the sides as well!

The rest is a no-brainer, stick a toothpick two inches from the side of the pan after baking it according to the box, and if it comes out clean pull it out of the oven!

I no longer took a picture of the nasty business of cutting the edges and cutting the brownie in half, and of spreading the frosting - hands too dirty to hold the camera! Anyway, here's what it looks like after all's been done:

I. Vox Populi, Vox Dei
II. The Night the Watchtowers Cried

I am nothing special, of this I am sure. I am a common woman with common thoughts and I've led a common life. There are no monuments dedicated to me and my name will soon be forgotten, but I've loved another with all my heart and soul, and to me, this has always been enough.
Jilitse
I just arrived (again). Please be kind.

Words: 520837
Joined roleplay: March 5th, 2010, 8:22 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Artist (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)
GP's Angels (1)

Postby Xalet on November 28th, 2011, 3:00 am

Aw yeah Jilitse, the cavity pain train is'a coming!
Xalet
The answer is more Body Building.

Words: 539431
Joined roleplay: July 5th, 2011, 11:37 pm
Race: Akalak
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)