A Perplexing Task, Part II (Solo)

[The Orphanage] Eri returns to complete his task.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

Postby Eridanus on November 23rd, 2011, 6:33 am

Day 17, Fall of 511 AV
Sometime Around Midday
The Orphanage, Sunset Quarters

It was the next day, and Eri found himself back in the orphanage with a group of children staring at him expectantly. He had somehow gained a sort of reputation of being “The Story Man” overnight amongst the orphans and he had actually returned to find Viya only to find the elusive woman busy again. The lady from yesterday who opened the door for him suggested that he come back later, but there was no way that Eri would want to drag this any longer.

He was quite intent on parking his butt here until Viya was ready to see him, and so he took the excuse of telling stories again. His real motive, however, was to actually keep an eye on the main building that housed the core staff of the orphanage so that he could catch Viya should she leave the building and deliver his message. He could have stormed in definitely, but it was not that urgent and he did not like to demonstrate violence in front of impressionable young minds.

“What do you want to hear about, kids?” The vantha began, and there was a cacophony of voices as everyone added their opinion to the next. He heard various snatches of suggestions, one of them asking him to continue his story yesterday while another asked for something new. A little girl asked for a romance story, and Eri felt a seed of inspiration growing in his mind.

“How about... romance?” He said, generating several squeals from the girls while the boys groaned. “I’ll put in something for the boys too,” He added, pacifying the other half of his crowd. He racked his brain for a moment, before coming up with a story that only someone high on well, something could come up with. Either that or have a vantha heritage with a hyperactive imagination.

Eri began his story, introducing the main characters to his audience. There was Kate, a simple human woman who was down on her luck, trying to make ends meet in a city that did not favour the poor. It was a character that resonated with the poverty caste in Sunberth, and he made her the main character. She had a childhood friend named Jack, who was obviously quite infatuated with her but did his best to control his emotions, choosing to remain friends. They had a hard childhood, having to scrap together their meals with various odd jobs and the irregular stealing and pick-pocketing, but in the course of their growing up hardship they went through together strengthened the bond between them.

In the meantime they attended a school for poor kids, the place was shoddily put together with second hand materials and taught by a charitable teacher who used to teach at Zeltiva University. Their struggles in life made them hardworking and it paid off, the two of them getting better at what they did. Kate was a wonderful in mathematics and singing, while Jack displayed his ingenuity in gadgeteering. The two of them together was unstoppable, and a project submitted by the two of them for a gadgeteering competition organized by a local merchant fair drew the attention of a rich merchant who wanted kids but whose wife proved to be barren.
NOTICE: I am currently mostly inactive til August. As such, guild activities are temporarily halted (watch out for major revamps, changes and organizations when I'm back in full force). Any activity with Eri will be rather slow as well, but I am slowly readjusting back to "Mizahar life", so to speak, so do PM me if we have a thread that I left hanging and we'll talk.

"You must be one hardcore scholar, Eri." (Laszlo)
First winner of the prestigious Mirage's No Kill Medal.
Eridanus
It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time!

Words: 1312082
Joined roleplay: October 24th, 2011, 2:03 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1) 2011 Top NaNo Word Count (1)

Postby Eridanus on December 1st, 2011, 9:16 am

The merchant visited the school and was enthralled by the bubbly personality of the children, and he brought his wife back later. The wife could not hide her glee of having two cheery and talented children, and so it was then that they adopted Kate and Jack and brought them back to their home city away from the slums that the children had been scrapping a living in.

Eri paused, bringing his water-bag to his lips. He had not really begun the story, but he used such an introduction to hopefully imprint on these children’s minds that education was important. It would do them well do be diligent in whatever they were learning and he hoped to impress this attitude in them through a story... the vantha way.

Fast forward a few more years, and these children grew up to become teenagers. Jack was beginning to become stronger and more muscular, and the increased attention he got from his female peers was proof of that. Kate remained introverted, having few friends and generally only talking to Jack, and though she was not unattractive, her quiet personality deterred many guys from talking to her.

One day, their foster parents decided to move houses due to a business prospect in another city, and so with much hassle they relocated to the new town. Kate instantly hated the place, for she felt that it was always raining and it was immensely depressing. Jack somehow found himself at home, and in the new school that they were enrolled in he suddenly gained a new gang of like-minded friends who, strangely, had similarly sculpted bodies like his who were the envy of the rest of the male population. Well, most of them.

You see, there was this special group of people in this new school who were simply bewitching in their appearance. They only hung out among themselves, seeing no need to associate themselves with the rest of the school. The first time Kate saw them at the cafeteria she had been enraptured by their seeming beauty and elegance, and she could have sworn that one of them actually looked at her.

It was then quite interesting that she found herself partnering one of them for a philtering class. His name was Dwayne, and for some reason he had been wrinkling his nose whenever he went near her, finally leaving the class abruptly. She was noticeably upset, of course, for she hoped to talk to him and find out more about this mysterious handsome man, but she had somehow driven him off. She even thought that she might have body odour, and it was quite distressing for an adolescent female to suffer such an awkward blow.

Eri was about to continue when he saw the lady from before exit the main building and waved to him. By now most of the children were around him listening, though some of them, especially the boys, seemed to be quite bored with his tale. Tim was there of course with the ginger cat sitting on his lap though he seemed quite bummed that Eri did not continue the story from yesterday.
NOTICE: I am currently mostly inactive til August. As such, guild activities are temporarily halted (watch out for major revamps, changes and organizations when I'm back in full force). Any activity with Eri will be rather slow as well, but I am slowly readjusting back to "Mizahar life", so to speak, so do PM me if we have a thread that I left hanging and we'll talk.

Eridanus

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Eridanus on December 1st, 2011, 9:16 am

“Viya is...” The woman looked around as if trying to find something, but then returned her gaze to Eri after a few seconds, “ready to see you. Just go to the main building and she’ll be there. I don’t think I need to walk you there, right?” She said, and Eri cheered inwardly.

He was slightly disappointed at not being able to continue his story of course, for his mind had already planned a series of interesting sequences to spice up the story. He had been planning to throw a few twists out there that would no doubt interest the boys. Jack was actually a wolf kelvic, and his band of friends turned out to be similar wolves like him. Dwayne and his group of mysterious friends were Nuits – undead corpses – who were marked by and represent Viratas, the God of Blood. They were all master hypnotists which added to their mysterious aura and unnatural glamour.

The patriarch of the clan was a benevolent doctor in the small town, and their true natures were kept secret until Kate found out. They would somehow be invaded by another group of nuits who were Vayt’s chosen, leading to a three way war between the two groups of nuits and Jack’s wolf pack. On top of all these drama there would be a love triangle between Kate, Jack and Dwayne. Eri was quite confident that he would be able to draw both boys and girls in with his action-packed and drama-filled story, and so he filed it into memory for further use. For now, there was a job he had to do.

He apologized to the children, and he picked himself up, heading towards the building. The ginger cat sprung from Tim’s lap, and followed him to the building, weaving in and out of his legs. That was, Eri though it was weaving in and out of his legs before he looked down and realize that the cat was actually striding at a distance from him. What was it that brushed against him then?

He grew suspicious, and he stopped, looking at the cat accusingly. The cat stopped as well and meowed at him, as if to ask him what was wrong. He had definitely felt something, and if it was not physical it sure could not be...

Eri shook his head, concentrating deep on the astral streams within him and stared at the cat with an accusatory glare. He felt raw energy filling his eyes, and soon the cat’s aura began to appear before his eyes as he further focused on the animal. The aura visualized, but it continued growing and growing, filling up space where it should not fill that took up the space of an aura given off by a grown adult, or maybe even more. He could have sworn the cat might have an aura as big as his.

The cat somehow realized that its game was up and it cocked its head amusingly at Eri, before trotting off to the building, stopping once in a while to look back as if to say, “You coming or not?” Eri followed it, still focusing on the cat as he walked, trying to decipher more details about it. What was a cat kelvic doing in an orphanage? Did the people here even know that it was a kelvic? And why was its aura so strong?

Eridanus

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Eridanus on December 1st, 2011, 9:17 am

He pondered this even as he single-mindedly stared at the cat, and it was not long before he found himself staring at the cat and wondering why it was no longer moving. It thudded the door with its paws, and Eri could have sworn that the cat gave him a look that said, “You stupid or what?” He shook his head again, cancelling the flow of djed into his eyes and he opened the door of the main building, the cat slipping in.

It was a messy and bustling place, with people filling up paperwork or tending to children in various corners, and the cat led him to a tiny room that might possibly be an office. He opened the door to that room and noticed the small letters that spelled “Viya”. Well, at least he was getting somewhere.

After he entered the office and closed the door, he looked forward again to the woman he was supposed to deliver his message to. However, Eri was met with a blinding flash of light as the cat before him transformed quite suddenly into a young adult woman, and his mortal form automatically blushed when he realized that he was in the same room as an unclothed woman.

She did not seem to mind her nakedness and she looked at Eri pointedly before cocking her head just like she had as a cat before, “That was a pretty horrible story, vantha. I much preferred your story yesterday.”

Eri had plenty of questions to ask of course, but when she reminded him of the scene yesterday, and the image of Tim listening to his story with the ginger cat on his lap came to his mind. The vantha swore, and addressed the kelvic quite impatiently, “You were there yesterday, aren’t you? What’s all that nonsense about being busy? I have a life too!”

Viya chuckled, her laughter sounding like the chimes of many bells as she slowly walked over to a tiny desk in the corner of the room where a piece of cloth was draped over as she begun dressing herself. She was quite used to nakedness, but her master had impressed upon her the importance of being clothed in the presence of children. She might as well get clothed now for she had matters to handle outside. As she did so, she shot a question to Eri asking him for his business, and that shook him out of his reverie of staring at her nude form as she walked.

His ethaefal personality scolded his mortal form for showing physical weakness, and that sobered him up. Eri thought about what the merchant’s courier told him yesterday, and he simply said, “The crow has withered.”

Eridanus

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Eridanus on December 1st, 2011, 9:17 am

Viya turned her head sharply, taking several chimes to stare at Eri thoughtfully before resuming her dressing. “It is well that I observed you before showing my true form,” She said. “Tell Gundere that his worry has been for nothing and that his perceived problem has long been settled by me.”

Eri was burning with curiosity, and he wanted to ask more questions, but she walked up to him, putting a finger to his lips while leaning closer. “Not a question more, vantha boy. Just tell Gundere that.” She laughed again, heading for the door of the office and opening it to show that he should be leaving the room. “Because of your entertaining story yesterday, tell Gundere that you’re owed additional expenses for services rendered to me. Tell him that after he paid you for this job of course. That stingy guy needs to learn the meaning of charity.”

With that, Eri sighed as he left the building. It seemed that there was some kind of mystery surrounding this strange merchant who had accosted him in Tua’s building but he could not quite figure it out. However, he counted his blessings that this time his life was much simpler than the very first one that Hurate Gundere walked him into where he had to unexpectedly fight for his life.

Half a bell later, he was at The Establishment, waiting for Tua’s clerks to approach him for real job runs he had to make. The door opened, and there was a sense of deja vu as the merchant himself walked in, but this time he was dressed more properly for the last time he had been mugged on his way here. Hurate walked in, ignoring Eri completely as he headed straight to the counter and shared a few words with Master Tua, the merchant nodding several times and finally handing over several wax-sealed letters and a small money pouch. Eri could not hear what they were saying, for the two of them were speaking in low hushed voices while Tua’s body guards stood around to make sure no one would edge close enough to eavesdrop.

Finally, Tua nodded again and signalled for the next person to come forward, concluding their business and as the merchant left the building, he passed by Eri and whispered “Come with me” before heading out as if he did not know him. Eri was intrigued, and he waited for a few seconds before leaving so that it would not be obvious.

Hurate was already walking into a nearby alley, and Eri followed him into it, looking around to make sure that they were alone in that alley. Such places were numerous in Sunberth, but most of them were somehow always occupied, their inhabitants pursuing their own villainous acts.
Last edited by Eridanus on December 1st, 2011, 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eridanus

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Eridanus on December 1st, 2011, 9:18 am

Hurate cleared his throat, and looked at Eri questioningly. “Viya said that you have been worrying about nothing, and that whatever you thought the problem was had been long settled by her,” Eri said, repeating what the kelvic had told him back in the orphanage. The merchant sighed in relief when Eri said that, and he reached into his robes to hand Eri a small coin pouch similar to the one he gave Master Tua. Eri took it, and remembering Viya’s advice, he said, “Viya also said that I am owed additional expenses for services rendered to her.”

The merchant opened his mouth as if to say something, but Eri mouthed the kelvic’s name again for he had the instinctive thought that Hurate was seemingly afraid of her, and the merchant sighed, taking out another pouch. Counting several gold coins, he handed Eri another handful of coins which the vantha pocketed gratefully.

“Bloody woman never learns the meaning of thriftiness,” Hurate grumbled, keeping his money pouch within the many folds of his robes.

“She said you need to learn the meaning of charity,” Eri ventured, and Hurate barked a forced laughter, replying, “Bah! She thinks money grows on trees.”

Hurate shook his head, and thought for a moment before his expression grew sombre as he looked at Eri thoughtfully. Eri felt that the gaze the man used on him was quite similar to how Viya stared at him, as if to size him up for something, or measuring him in some way in their minds. He raised a brow at the merchant showing his confusion, and after a while Hurate sighed again before heading out of the alley.

“Wait!” Eri said, stopping the man. “What was that about?” He asked hopefully, hoping to discover a bit more about this mystery. The merchant was, of course, reticent about his business and merely replied, “I have business to attend to, word-runner. Keep your questions and thoughts to yourself if you want to benefit from our... exchange.”

With that, the man strode out of the alley, leaving a confused vantha in his wake. Eri could only take heart in the monetary compensation he received, though his heart burned to find out exactly what was happening. He swore to get to the bottom of his mystery, and with a determined heart he strode out of the alley, his mind racing to form a plan as to how he would begin his discreet investigations.

Eridanus

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Archelon on December 7th, 2011, 7:53 pm

Thread Award

"..."

And the Results!!!!:

Eridanus :
SkillName 1-5 How/why?
Story-telling2
(Husbandry)Childcare 2
Auristics3
Interrogation2

Lores:
Telling Tales to Children(basic)

Ledger: 20 gold mizas

Would you like some extra turtle sauce ? :
interesting setting
Thank you all for the privildege of moderating, unfortunately with deaths in the family and ailing health I am retiring. All thread grades I had on my pc have been forwarded to founders and paragon, so expect them posted soon.
It's been a mixed bag at times , but with all the good and the bad and mixed signals, I can honestly say: Thank you. Please support the next mods of sunberth as well as you have done me.
[/color]
Sunberth Forum | Sunberth Lore |Storyteller Guide and Requests |Ole Archie's Office|
Archelon
DS-Sunberth;

Words: 377245
Joined roleplay: August 22nd, 2011, 7:05 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)