Lhavit Job Faire (Open)

Lhavit's Job Faire (Winter 2nd - 6th)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

Lhavit Job Faire (Open)

Postby Lu Gavima on December 8th, 2011, 4:58 am

Lu waited patiently, his hands at his sides until he saw the proprietor of the booth before him wander into view. She had asked him if there was something behind the counter he wished to see. He found this odd at a job faire. If he wanted weapons to train with, the Shinyama held all he could desire. Watching her points of focus over various weaponry she had displayed, he smiled and bowed, a quarter between full bow and nod. His eyes, of course, did not leave hers.

"Madame Terras. I came today to ask you for something. I have a desire to improve my training and I need a device made of metal that, as far as I know, does not exist. I have no money but I would be happy to work any debts off to you as you saw fit. I would ask you for an apprenticeship, but I cannot offer my full focus, that being reserved for my training at Shinyama."

Stepping closer to the counter, his hands lay flat there, palms down. " My father, Shantsu Gavima, told me once that some of the ore that is brought from the stars has a quality that makes it stick to other metals. I would like to create rectangular plates of this attractive material and affix it to a belt or my hips in order to keep my arms locked at my sides during training. Is this possible?"

OOC INFOHe is speaking about magnets, of course. I asked Gossamer in a PM if it was alright to use magnets and she said it was.
Last edited by Lu Gavima on January 28th, 2012, 6:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lu Gavima
Devoted Shinya

Words: 134685
Joined roleplay: December 2nd, 2011, 5:35 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Lhavit Job Faire (Open)

Postby Tiberius Bayle on December 8th, 2011, 4:55 pm

At last! Tiberius had made it to the Job Faire. It took some finding, and some hasty walking, but he had made it there. For the event he had changed out of his traveling clothes, and into his Arcane Robes, that he might look suitably Wizardly. He was not looking for some petty job of manual labor, but something that actually required his magical skill and intellectual prowess. Thus, it was best to look the part. The hike up to the city, coupled with his scurrying around, had really worn out his legs. It was a good thing he had brought his quarterstaff to lean on.

The first stall looked promising at first, working at some sort of Lhavitian magical institute. But closer inspection proved otherwise, it was primarily menial tasks, far below him. And no pay. He proudly meandered past the stall.

The next was a culinary business. A few moments of inspection showed that the lady running it apparently thought skill at cooking was some sort of accomplishment. He scoffed mentally, and moved on.

With a single glance at the goat, Tiberius moved past the third stall. He liked animals, but wasn't about to work at some sort of pet store. That was for someone inferior.

He noted the Isur blacksmith with a bit of respect. Blacksmithing took mental acuity as well as physical strength. One had to know measurements, as well as the proper temperatures and manners in which to heat and cool the metal. But alas, it was too physical for his liking, so he moved on.

The following stall read: All Things Wild, and seemed to be some sort of herbalism and botany stall. It was something his mother would have liked, and maybe if he had branched into alchemy. But Tiberius had not yet begun to develop the Arts outside of his focus yet. There was not enough time as it was.

The final stall was some sort of artistic shop. Tiberius turned around immediately, and made his way back along the stalls.

What a shame, nothing seemed suitable. In his travels to Lhavit he had heard of an Observatory. Being something of an Astronomer himself, he had been hoping that they might be hiring at the faire. He would linger, as more stalls might set up, and definitely check back throughout the duration of the event.
Tiberius Bayle
Student of the Arcane

Words: 7528
Joined roleplay: December 2nd, 2011, 4:06 pm
Character sheet

Lhavit Job Faire (Open)

Postby Calvin Freeman on December 9th, 2011, 4:33 am

The entrance of a wizard draws Calvin's attention. A student of Djed!!! All though Calvin hadn't spent much time in Lhavit this was the first he had seen of the magical variety. Calvin pulled a pocket notebook from his back pocket.

Hmmm I wonder what school he falls under; he definitely doesn't look like a student of alchemy, however I am uneducated on the other schools.

Calvin flipped through the book. This one was small and could be carried around in a back pocket. It was titled Guide to Djed. Calvin had found this book under his bed one night back in Jonas's lab.

Although, this wizard can't provide any employment of opportunity, I think he could be a valuable friend.

Calvin turned his attention back to Halei. He reached into his other back pocket and pulled some pen and paper.

"I have an engagement that I must meet, so I am going to write down a... person you can reach me by I would really like to team up with you and share our skills if you are interested." With this calvin sunk in to the crowd, disappearing.

The letter read:

Durzo Basmajian ask for Calvin

Cavin made his way through the crowd. Passing by many nobles and slipping into a group of Chandra as he passed making his way to the wizard that was studying in the corner. Calvin's emotions began to rise with fury and hatred. The smell of religious purpose smoke combined with the sight of the brown robes and religious text, speaking of Zintila and Leth, sent him back to his childhood. He saw his parents and his fellow students attending religious school. His heart began to pound. His pupils dilated. He felt his hand clench into a fist, but he pushed through and left the group of Chandra unharmed.

Calvin finally made it through the crowd and stepped closer to the focused wizard. "Interesting that we can be in the city of magic and find so little to excite two students of Djed.Image
Calvin Freeman
Preforming Alchemist

Words: 36659
Joined roleplay: November 6th, 2011, 1:04 am
Character sheet
Journal

Lhavit Job Faire (Open)

Postby Norian Jard on December 12th, 2011, 12:02 am

Norian, new to the city, had yet to find a job. He also had yet to find any type of location to learn of a job. It was sheer serendipity that he managed to follow the crowds forming around the many stalls advertising the jobs. His mind simply tracked a crowd as a place to find someone to hire him. Albert agreed with the notion of finding work, as it would build relationships with people and potentially earn him people who would follow him. Albert had no reason not to let Norian continue this search, and aside from just the current skills he knew from a few jobs here and there, the shared body would need to know more and more anyways.

Norian asked one of the people who was approaching about what was happening. His answer came rather quickly, as he could imagine there was a limited supply of jobs around, and people who wanted to fill them. From that point, Norian decided to squeeze through the crowd the best a tall person could. He eventually made it to the first booth, noticing the fact that the work would be the same thing that managed to get him the money to even be here. He continued past to the next booth and looked upon it. Working with food would not particularly be a good thing for the large man to do, as he would inevitably gain a very large appetite.

He continued to wander until he found himself staring at creations of metal. He was drawn to the idea of making wonderous works like what was on display, and he gazed upon the katanas that were mentioned by the woman talking to the man next to him with wide eyes. It was like a child on his birthday, getting ready to open a present almost. Norian just looked on at the glinting metal for a good few minutes.

Albert himself was a little surprised at the sudden shock that had occured. Although he found the blades quite lovely, and enjoyed the idea of being able to create tools for himself, he was awed by the awe of his mental counterpart. It was a wonderful profession for both of them it seemed, and Norian had seemed to have formed a lust to learn the arts of smithing. He knew nothing of it, and neither did Albert, so this left Albert in the predicament of having to determine, whether or not he would over-come Norian's conciousness and deter them from the spot or stay and see what the offer was. The decision was definitely the toughest one that had come about Albert so far. In the end, Norian's bewilderment won out, and the two-in-one man would strive to learn how to smith.

Now came the real challenge. Actually getting hired. Norian's bold and uplifting attitude would have to be at its up most, else Albert would have to step in and unleash his powers of speech craft.
Norian Jard
Player

Words: 6093
Joined roleplay: November 29th, 2011, 3:14 am
Character sheet

Lhavit Job Faire (Open)

Postby Aural on December 12th, 2011, 1:49 pm

From the very first time Tain saw the young Ethaefal, he felt like there was potential in the way his eyes roamed over the canvas, wide with wonder. It was the look of someone who could be trained and that was a stroke in his favor.

He motioned Alnair behind the counter so he could get a closer look at the painting Nat was working on. Tain's eyes shone with pride as the two men watched Nat's paintbrush zip across the canvas, so engrossed in her work, she didn't pause for a heartbeat while the pair oogled her work. Lowering his voice, he said to the Ethaefal, "Is this something you could see yourself doing? Getting so lost in what you're creating that you forget where you are?" He smiled and ushered Alnair closer to the painting. "How does it make you feel to see the world come alive beneath her brush? Passion is what painting is, there's nothing technical about a single loving sweep of her bristles. How deep does your passion run?"

Tain would measure the man's reaction, waiting to see if the Ethaefal was like the empty canvas that created soul or a lost cause.
Aural
Everything you can imagine is real.

Words: 16693
Joined roleplay: November 24th, 2011, 7:18 pm
Race: Staff account
Office

Lhavit Job Faire (Open)

Postby Aural on December 12th, 2011, 2:30 pm

Aska's thick brow raised into a furrow at the young Acolyte's request. The boy's question caught her off guard, she thought he wanted to apply to be her apprentice, so a question that could have been answered at her shop, was the last thing she expected to hear where she was. "You realize this is a job faire, don't you boy?"

Despite the situation being what it was, she considered his request. She was a master at her trade, if anyone could do what he was asking, it would be her. If something new was going to be forged, it would be in her shop, by her calloused hands, with sweat sliding down her neck. The idea gave her goosebumps. There was nothing she enjoyed more than her work, besides a challenge to her work.

"I've heard of the material your asking about, although I've never used it, I might be persuaded to do it. The material isn't something I would usually use, however, so it would cost more than what a poor Acolyte could afford. Is it still something you wish for me to consider?"

Out of the corner of her eye, Aska noticed another man standing within earshot. She crossed her arms over her chest and turned her head to the side, eyeing the man, waiting to see if he would stop to speak to her, or linger and pass like the others. She tapped her foot, at the mercy of both men and just about out of patience for the job faire.
Aural

Office

Lhavit Job Faire (Open)

Postby Aural on December 12th, 2011, 3:05 pm

Eliza zipped from stall to stall, checking on their progress. So far, things were going well, everyone was busy, except for the goat girl, but Eliza wasn't a miracle worker, her powers only went so far and that girl was beyond her salvation.

The midnight rest was less than a bell away and the stalls would be shutting down for maintenance while everyone was sleeping. She would probably be skipping the rest, there was too much to be done. Once a faire was up and running, there was very little sleep for her until it was over, but that was why she was one of the best.

She tucked away a stray hair behind her ear, knowing she must be looking ragged by now and hating it. Appearance was everything, but the faire was even more important than that today.

As she passed by each stall, she gave the occupants a nod and a quick run down of what was going to happen next, before moving on to the next one. Once she'd finished her rounds, she took a deep breath and checked off a few more things on her list.

The only thing left to do before the end of the day was the raffle. She called out to her assistant, "Mika!" The girl wasn't close enough for Eliza's liking. She whipped her head around, piercing the crowd with her glare, then she spied the girl talking to one of the more attractive male fairegoers over by the entrance. She stalked towards her, managing the crowd like the pro she was. Sneaking up on the girl from behind, Eiliza gave her shoulder a tight squeeze. "It's almost time for the raffle, lose the boy and make sure everyone's got a ticket or you can skip the reopen tomorrow."

OOCIf anyone didn't get a raffle ticket via PM, let me know ASAP. Thanks.
Aural

Office

Lhavit Job Faire (Open)

Postby Haeli on December 12th, 2011, 5:48 pm

Haeli simply people watched. It was something new, something interesting, and when she wasn't watching people she was making friends with the goat. There was something more comforting about the goat than there was about the crowd wandering through. She made eye-contact with a few people, smiled at others, answered questions when asked, and generally felt awkward. Crowds bothered Haeli and she often had no idea what to say to strangers when they approached. That she was here at all was a miracle. And so when the gentleman calling himself Calvin walked up to her booth, she had no idea what to say.

Alchemy? She had no idea at all what that was. Wasn't she supposed to offer him a job? Not him offer her services? Haeli wasn't sure if it was arrogance or a misunderstanding. She was a botanist, herbalist, and above all one of Caiyha's witches. She was no 'alchemist' nor was she sure what one was.

But the man didn't linger long enough for her to figure out what he really wanted. He left her only with a slip of paper which she carefully set aside. Seek him? Why? Haeli was frowning as she watched him walk away in the crowd. The girls' confidence plummeted. She didn't belong here, no matter what the city officials said nor how eagerly they'd welcomed her.

Haeli blinked, glanced around, and suddenly longed for the swamp again. People didn't gather like this in the swamp. Everyone was too busy hunting, surviving, protecting themselves and their homes. Here in Lhavit, life was soft. People had extra time. Such a thing was such a foreign concept to Haeli - completely and utterly foreign.

She glanced around and caught a man's eyes in the crowd. He looked like some sort of religious man, but his gaze was kind. She leaned back in her seat, picking up a potted plant - a fern - and stroking its leaves for comfort. He was a Shinya perhaps... or maybe one of the priesthood. She wished she had more courage, because he'd walk over and introduce herself and say hello.
Haeli
The stars in the sky have all the answers.

Words: 366819
Joined roleplay: July 2nd, 2010, 9:33 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Trailblazer (1) Donor (1)

Lhavit Job Faire (Open)

Postby Alnair on December 13th, 2011, 1:49 am

"For sure," Alnair answered keeping his blue gaze on Nat's drawing taking shape on the canvas. "Whether I try my hand at landscape, live motives or my own imagination I can never keep track of time, the bells just trickle by and when I next look up from my drawing several bells have passed." The Ethaefal said, chuckling softly, remembering all the times he'd woken up from concentration only to realise he had missed one or two rest blocks.

Thinking over Tain's question Alnair took some time to sort through his answer, what he really felt when painting. "It's not something I can really put a word to, maybe there isn't any word for it or I have just not learned it yet." Alnair mused.

"When I started painting I was hindered by my strive for perfection until Gavan thought me to relax and just let my hand move without caring that a line is perfectly straight, to cut off my brain so to speak. And while I like all things creative painting is the best to me, to capture something or create something entirely new it's an amazing feeling." Alnair said, looking at Tain.
Alnair
Player

Words: 6038
Joined roleplay: December 5th, 2011, 10:53 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Plotnotes

Lhavit Job Faire (Open)

Postby Tiberius Bayle on December 13th, 2011, 2:44 am

Tiberius meandered around, taking in the sights, the smells, and the feel of the Faire, and of Lhavit. Then someone approached him, and spoke. The man- a boy really- was shorter by several inches, and looked quite skinny. He professed himself to be a student of Djed, and Tiberius' interest was perked. No matter the discipline, a practitioner of magic was a practitioner of magic. What they called themselves was irrelevant as well. Tiberius preferred Wizard, but mage, sorceror, witch, warlock, and numerous other labels were just as good.

Realizing he had stood for several moments without responding, Tiberius nodded slightly, acknowledging the boy's statement. "Something will turn up. I'm sure of it," Tiberius responded dismissively. He looked the boy up and down, analyzing and interpreting. Perhaps he was looking to apprentice to Tiberius. He could always use an extra set of hands with his research. But then, such an agreement should never be entered lightly, and certainly not with a stranger. Wizard's were a dangerous sort, and one was never entirely sure as to the sanity of their peers.

Some girl handed him a ticket, saying something about a raffle. Tiberius tucked it away into a pocket, and turned his gaze back to the boy.

"And who are you?" he asked bluntly. Courtesy was not his strong suit.
Tiberius Bayle
Student of the Arcane

Words: 7528
Joined roleplay: December 2nd, 2011, 4:06 pm
Character sheet

PreviousNext