[Flashback] That's So Hot

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A spot of blood on the desert, the dark keerdash trees leave in late spring with crimson foliage. Their ruddy shade is an occasional resting place for the Tatsuwaat tribe of Chaktawe.

Postby Jaeden Kincade on April 10th, 2010, 9:16 pm

“Well, sticks and stones, love.” Jaeden replied to Nebitra’s comments over Jaeden’s competence. He then felt the sting of the crop strike across his back, as his muscles tightened slightly and his teeth gritted in slight grunts of pain. “You need a more constructive hobby. You ever think of flower arrangement. You could place lovely bouquets over those you bury out here.”

“Ah, my lovely angel of mercy,” Jaeden then commented to the sister who brought the chain to attach him to the rest. “Never did quite catch your name, lovely.”

Jaeden slowly turned his head, looking over his shoulder as he felt Nebitra’s blade poke against his back. His bound wrists slowly raised over his head in view to Nebitra. “They tell me these are your handiwork. Magecraft?” Jaeden asked curiously before lowering his hands once again. “By the way, could I get my shirt back if there’s no fun to be had in the tent? I fear I’ll blister under the sun and spoil my market value some otherwise.”

Jaeden’s gaze then just began to wonder as he studied each of the individuals in along the chains, idly listening to the young girls talk of being captured. “Yes, well, still chained in the end,” Jaeden said casually to the young girl as he spied around for his pack and gear then. He casually kept giving slight tugs along the cords that bound his wrists, simply breathing through the pain as he tested it’s limits and his own.

Jaeden then took a moment to weigh the stock of his fellow captors. The Benshira girl would likely know the terrain, and would be able to lead the group to the nearest city or sources of water within the desert. The young boy looked to be from the same region as him, and likely studied. He would probably best be able to shed some knowledge on their bindings, and a way to break them. The old man, looking to be a Drykas, could likely come in handy when it came to the slavers mode of transportation, though he wasn’t sure how a Drykas’ gift with horses would translate to camels. At the very least, he could procure the group with some wild horses that they may have found in the desert. Finally the twins, if the girls boasting was accurate, they would be useful in any struggle that may occur with the Slavers if the group decided to fight for their freedom.

Still, the way they all were now, such was impossible at this moment. Jaeden would just have to hope that it was a long travel to this market that the sister that bound him spoke of. He would have to reserve any planning or talk outside of idle conversation for when the group camped, as well as observe the sisters, and how they interacted with each other. Perhaps Jaeden could use his silver tongue to turn one or two of them to his favor, but for now, all Jaeden could do was bide his time. “So,” Jaeden said casually as the sister finished binding him to the line, “how far is this market? I hope it presents ample opportunity for us to get to know one another better.”

"If I were to stop and take in the gravity of any serious situation I'm in, I'd likely fall to my knees from being overwhelmed by it. Things become much easier to deal with if you simply make jokes."
Jaeden Kincade
Disco Jae

Words: 824662
Joined roleplay: January 29th, 2010, 2:10 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Author (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) Advocate (1)
Power Fork (1)

Postby Colombina on April 23rd, 2010, 6:50 am

The sister linking Jaeden to the line raised her eyebrow at being addressed. He had been hastily moved from human to animal in a matter of minutes. Responding to him now would be like talking to a wild badger, possible, but a little nutty.

It was the chatty twin who answered for him.
"All the way to Ahnatep! Days and days through the desert. Glorious miles of scenic sand and nothingness."

Her brother finally spoke up.
"We've been chained for seven days. Barely fed. I feel like a pig shyked in my head."

The sister plastered on a marvelous sarcastic grin.
"And our chain mates are real social butterflies."

"Never say a petchin' word," the brother chimed, "Save the scholar used to lecture. Now he just cries every now and again."

The girl twisted on the chain to look at the morose student and say, "Aren't you glad you learned all those poncy things instead of how to run an Eypharian through?"

In response the student only lifted his nose and sniffed derisively. This made the twin smile all the wider, pleased to see intellectual pride meet a fall.

"So, boy-o, how much did you drink?" the girl asked, "They put their hooks in you proper like. A drug to sleep and a drug to get you hooked. The water they give us, sometimes it's laced with poison, sometimes the antidote. We never know. Downright cunning these girls are."
Getting to Know Me

[Insert awesome picture of scantily clad woman and something with wings here]
Feeling very poorly lately, have mercy on your absentee merbadger. (2/20/13)
Colombina
Mizahar's Only Mer-Badger Founder

Words: 632175
Joined roleplay: March 29th, 2009, 8:56 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) O RLY Decoration (1)

Postby Jaeden Kincade on April 24th, 2010, 11:44 pm

Jaeden stood there, silent and observant as he watched the Eypharian slavers then begin their preparations to leave. “So I guess my shirt is out of the question then?” Jaeden then remarked before his gaze slowly fell towards the chains, observing their thickness and length, as well as the shackles bound around his ankles. “Guess they don’t talk much, do they?”

Jaeden then lifted his gaze to the rest of the chain gang as the sister and brother continued to speak. “How often do we camp to rest?” Jaeden then casually asked of the siblings, as he once again began tugging a little bit along his bindings, testing their limits as his muscles tensed up slightly over the pain.

Jaeden’s eyes narrowed at the mention of poisoned water, taking that into account for his planning. He would have to stay observant of plants and roots within the desert, using them as a source of nutrition and hydration. Such was a difficult task, however, considering his current environment. If Jaeden was in the forest, he could spot something to sustain him through the day by simply turning his head and letting his gaze fall to the forest grounds. Here in the desert, there was simply seas of sand. It was dry and hot and there were little to be found in terms of plant life. That did not mean that there was none, and if push came to shove, Jaeden could still find what he needed from some of the animal life.

Jaeden then gave the young girl a nudge with his elbow. “Enough of the haughty,” Jaeden simply said in a silent tone, keeping his gaze towards his captors to make sure they couldn‘t eavesdrop. “Never wise to alienate yourself from a potential ally in situations like these. Save the chatting for when we camp. We’ll need to conserve our energy from here on out. Especially you two since you appear to be the most qualified for………physical activities.”

"If I were to stop and take in the gravity of any serious situation I'm in, I'd likely fall to my knees from being overwhelmed by it. Things become much easier to deal with if you simply make jokes."
Jaeden Kincade
Disco Jae

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Power Fork (1)

Postby Colombina on May 24th, 2010, 11:49 pm

The girl smirked at Jaeden's nudging, but gave a conciliatory shrug.
"If you think, but something tells me, we're dealing with dead weight."

Her brother answered Jaeden's lingering question, "We stop when they feel like it. The girls have a system. Half sleep in litters on the camels while the other half guard. Come morning or evening they switch so we never stop covering ground."

Thinking of their state, the woman yawned, "We sleep about five hours on a good day. They keep us squirrelly and weak. As if the poison wasn't motive enough."

For the first time, the Benshiran girl spoke a complete thought.
"No one has escaped yet. Not. A. One," her accent was thick and warm as honey. She looked at her hands, tasting bitterness in her mouth.
"The Burning Lands is no place for Priskil. I don't think any god listens. This whole land is damned for all but the ruthless."
Getting to Know Me

Colombina

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Jaeden Kincade on May 26th, 2010, 5:18 am

“Not all advantages lie in one’s ability to wield a weapon.“ Jaeden replied as he looked down to the bindings as he once again began stretching them, this time using a bit of strength as his arms went taught. He grunted out, swallowing screams as pain shot up through the entire length of his arms, tickling at the edges of his back.

“Well, so long as we do stop. I’m still pretty good to go on four hours, so that would leave at least one for discussion,” Jaeden replied as he began studying the strands for a knot or where the weakest part of the strand was.

His gaze then fell to the Benshiran for a moment before he slowly looked up to the suns position in the sky. “And no one ever will with a defeatists attitude.” Jaeden said as he stepped up to her. “Just be sure you steer clear of any danger and survive. If we do manage to break free, we’ll need your knowledge of the desert.”

“In any event, moral is half of a winning situation. We just need to boost our own, and dwindle theirs some. Let me handle that a bit.” Jaeden said as he then moved back towards his spot in line. Looking over to his captors in the distance, Jaeden then yelled out, “Hey, ladies? Will there be any entertainment during our travels. If you’re taking requests, I wouldn’t mind seeing you all do some belly dancing. That would be very nice to see the three of you doing.”

Jaeden Kincade
Disco Jae

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Power Fork (1)

Postby Colombina on September 17th, 2010, 10:34 pm

The Benshiran looked at Jaeden as he spoke. Her face was empty, and then split with a smile cheering as a skull’s. She laughed, a ruthless sound, then turned her face to the endless horizon.

The desert dweller’s effrontery to the divine riled the blonde woman.
“The gods do not always intervene. But it does not mean they do not hear. Sometimes, the people never even ask for aid.”

The Benshiran’s light eyes widened for a moment at the girl before becoming stubborn slits.

Jaeden’s taunting failed to elicit a response in the slave traders. As far as they were concerned, he had become an inarticulate noise, no different from a camel or the moving sand.

~*~

Hours passed and those on Jaeden’s chain were lulled back into their mute states. The novelty of his arrival dissipated as the reality of fatigue and thirst settled in. The heat moved from dryness to a lashing sensation on Jaeden’s skin. He began to see the others in more detail: rope burns, lips split from scarcity of water, and tell-tale welts.

A happy murmur began to sound in the front of the mass of captives. It trickled back as each chain saw what those ahead did: a spidery cluster of acacia trees. Their significance became apparent with the slowing of the caravan.

When the tortured flock reach the sparse grove, the slavers began to serve themselves lunch. The unlucky slaves were pulled by their ropes and staked or tied in place. Each chain was tossed a chunk of old barley bread and a canteen. Most chains had adopted a system of portions according to size, while others…

A fight was breaking out behind Jaeden, much to the delight of the wicked sisters. They laughed as four men struggled for one canteen. It had begun with an accusation of taking more than their share then progressed into why he should get any share at all.

The necessary proximity of each man turned the battle into a ground fight. They moved slowly, curbed by hunger, each trying to use chain or sand to their advantage.

The other slaves turned their backs on the men, unmoved by what must have been a common occurrence.

One of the slaver sisters commented, “Look how they behave. Like animals. Humans have nothing of the divine in them.”
Getting to Know Me

Colombina

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Jaeden Kincade on September 19th, 2010, 1:44 am

“Come on ladies, you like the way I look. It’s why you didn’t give me my shirt back.” Jaeden then hollered to his captives. “Admit it.”

Jaeden slowly looked to his bindings, examining them more closely as he nodded to the Benshiran. “I figure the Gods are always there more for guidance than to lend a hand and smite your oppressors in the long run anyhow.” Jaeden said as he dropped his hands down, looking around the terrain and trying to familiarize himself with it, for all the good it would do. He then slowly nudged her with the side of his arm. “What’s your name, anyways?”

Jaeden slowly observed those that were held. Most of them were broken and feared. None of them seemed to realize that with the numbers they had, the could have easily overpowered those who held them with the loss of but a few, at most. Then again, it was the fear of being one of those few that held them at bay, slowly and surely wasting further away, being sapped of any further strength to resist.

When they finally began approaching the smaller grove, one that would provide rest and small shelter from the elements, Jaeden slowly looked back, seeing the winds of the desert already beginning to cover the tracks they had left during their march. He released a slight grumble, looking ahead once again. “Wish I hadn’t lost count of how many steps I had taken.” Jaeden muttered under his breath, his mind distracted by the jingle of the chains that echoed in his ears with each step.

When they had all been staked down, and their rations handed out, Jaeden’s hands reached out to the captive handing out his respective group’s supplies and tickled the back of her leg while making "koochi, koochi, koo" sounds, only to find her boot flying into his face, knocking him to his back. He echoed out a laugh, dragging blood away from the corner of his mouth. “Awwwwwwwww, baby.” Jaeden said, echoing out more laughter still. “Where’s the love?”

Jaeden looked to the bread for a moment, sniffing it for a moment before breaking it evenly into three pieces and handing it out to the others in his group, waving off the cantina as well. “I’m good, I ate and had a large quantity of water to drink before I was captured.” Jaeden said as he began examining each link of chain that bound his ankles for wear and tear that time and the elements may have caused. He then looked to each individual, of his group, seeing if any he had spoken too previous or had already been formulating into his planning was there.

Before he could begin discussing anything, however, he heard the struggle erupting behind him. A frown crossed his features as he released a sigh. He checked the chain, determining whether he would have enough slack to reach the group that struggled with another. It likely wouldn’t, so eventually Jaeden rose from his seat, his hands gripping the chain as he began to pull at the links, trying to dislodge the stake from the ground or break the chain at it’s weakest length, which ever would prove easier. “Give me a hand, will you?” Jaeden said as his muscle went taught, his teeth grinding and jaw clenching as he pulled. “Gotta put an end to that waste of energy happening.”

Jaeden Kincade
Disco Jae

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Power Fork (1)

Postby Colombina on February 21st, 2011, 8:51 pm

The Benshiran girl's eyes were crude as glass, bright but hollow.
"Mira, my name is Mira, from the tent of Arohab, of the sons of Basalom."
She only gave such detail out of habit, Benshira had a tendency to give lineages when all one wanted was a nickname.

After the brief introduction she turned her attention to slowly chewing the hunk of crusted bread reserved for her.

~*~

The blonde woman laughed as Jaeden hit the ground after the slaver's kick.
"You've got moxy, especially when it's useless," her eyes twinkled dangerously, "We like that."

When Jaeden began to strain at the chain, the rest of the group did nothing. They stared a moment and returned to their meals. He was grasping at the wind and for a worthless cause no less.

The student finally spoke, if only to keep Jaeden from looking at them for help.
"Why help them? It earns you nothing and the one you are protecting is doomed, regardless."

Mira nodded slowly as the scholar spoke, "Conserve your will for something that is not futile."

The male of the siblings perked up as words of discouragement were flung out. He glanced at his sister and her eyes darted to Jaeden and back to her brother again.

After a solid minute of Jaeden's useless and constant straining, the blonde reached out, placing her hand on the chain. Her eyes were feverishly bright and unnervingly direct.

"Are you willing to take a gamble for this, Jaeden? One that may or may not end well?"
Getting to Know Me

Colombina

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Jaeden Kincade on February 22nd, 2011, 4:03 am

Jaeden grunted pulling on the chain, still trying to free himself. “Useless or not, I’m far from being complacent about being abducted.” Jaeden replied to the blond woman as his muscles continued to bulge, continuing to strain against the strength of the chain.

Jaeden paused for a moment, breathing in deeply as he rested his hands along his legs. Sweat dripped from his brow as he looked at the scholar. “I’ll help them because they may help me in return. In the end it may earn me nothing, but it could earn us everything.” Jaeden said as he dragged his hand across his brow, wiping away a layer of sweat looking between both Mira and the scholar now. “You know, I’m surprised you two have not been catching on to the “strength in numbers” aspect of all of this.”

Jaeden reached down once again, pulling at the chain as he grunted and gave strained exhales as his face went red. When he suddenly felt the heat of another arm coming beside him, his eyes quickly opened, looking to the blond sibling as she grabbed the chain along with him. As her words began to echo into his ears, a smile crossed over his features, if for no other reason than he discovered at least one was willing to do more than just sit there. “Life in of itself is a series of gambles in a way. One takes a risk simply stepping out of their home.” Jaeden replied as he looked back into the sister’s eyes. “Frankly, life overall is worth the risks and gambles. If we don’t take them, everyone may as well just crawl back into the caves they sheltered themselves with during the Valterrain. I, for one, am not ready to simply reserve myself for an auction block. So, I’m more than willing to take that gamble. Only giving up entirely on life and its gambles make the bad ending.”

Jaeden then braced himself for another series of pulling then as he looked to the chain for a moment before looking back up to the Sister. “Never did get your name by the way,” Jaeden said, before motioning to her sibling. “Or your brother’s.”

Jaeden then gave a slow nod when she was ready, as pulling at the chain with her together. “If our captors come after us,” Jaeden said through the grunts, “use the chain for defense. It seems to be sturdy enough to take a hit from a weapon.”

Jaeden Kincade
Disco Jae

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Power Fork (1)

Postby Colombina on February 22nd, 2011, 6:12 am

"Yes, life is a series of chances," the woman agreed, "And sometimes even the best of us find wit's end and have little other choice but to jump off of it."

The girl grinned back at Jaeden, and he didn’t know whether to be exhilarated or terrified.

“Let’s take a gamble, Ser Kincade.”

Where her hand touched the chain, the girl’s fingers began to glow and shake until the light reached an intolerable pitch. Her hand burst apart in wild flurry of sparks and colors. Thousands of motes scattered and circled, each of the gleams moving drunkenly on a different path.

The group cowered and covered their eyes, save her brother, who just looked on with a smug satisfaction.

Her arm became a beacon of white light, bright like metal drawn from a forge. In the midst of all this, the air began to hum and vibrate. Space and sky fluxed, pliable as water.

And then things got weird. All the iron in a mile radius began to warp and change. Silvery and black surfaces began to mottle with color and twist of their own volition.

Snakes, every scrap of iron turned into a writhing serpent. A white snake with red eyes now circled Jaeden’s ankle where the iron chain had been. Its tongue licked the air, but it did little else in protest.

The rest of the camp erupted in shrieks and yells as people were fighting to disentangle themselves from scaled skin. The slavers were throwing what had once been swords and daggers to the ground, struck dumb by this perverse miracle. One slaver was especially regretting the dagger in her boot.

The siblings only sat on the sand, shrugging at each other, as if neither knew what was going to happen, but weren’t especially troubled by what did. They were casually peeling their respective snakes from off their ankles, comparing the reptile's markings.

“There’s an opportunity in this somewhere,” the brother announced, “Might as well take it while it lasts.”
Getting to Know Me

Colombina

Office
Scrapbook

PreviousNext