[Zeltiva] Query Desk

Any and all Zeltiva related questions can be asked here, with answers given promptly.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

[Zeltiva] Query Desk

Postby Paragon on April 11th, 2012, 10:01 am

Yup, PM me it and I'll put it in the News thread :)
Paragon
The Gordian Knot

Words: 448583
Joined roleplay: December 1st, 2011, 8:55 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

[Zeltiva] Query Desk

Postby Pa'haite on June 23rd, 2012, 4:36 am

My PC is going to be a phylonurist here in Zeltiva, and I couldn't help but notice that there doesn't seem to be a complete lore page on plant life in the area. I was wondering if its possible that I could take it on myself as a project to create a page for this, possibly even one for the general Mathews Bay area?

Edit- I would of course do plenty of research on ocean-area plants in general and all the available relevant lores here on Mizahar
Thinking
Speaking Nura
Other creatures speaking Nura to Pa'
"Chalk in common"
"Chalk in Kontinese"

Gnosis Summary :
Pa'haite holds the mark of Phylonura, from Caiyha, the Goddess of Flora and Fauna.
The singularly marked individual is granted the language of Nura and begins to learn to communicate with plants and animals of all sorts. Nura can even cause the witch to actively associate with insects which are vital forms of life in Caiyha's domain.
Plants and Animals tolerate the witch regardless of biome. They will not attack. They see [her] as a friend and will defend if [she] controls a biome they dwell within.
Pa'haite
A loyal servant to Ciayha's domain

Words: 39913
Joined roleplay: June 17th, 2012, 2:34 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Artist (2)

[Zeltiva] Query Desk

Postby Paragon on June 23rd, 2012, 10:20 am

You are more than welcome to help us develop the local plant-life, thank you for offering :) Feel free to post your ideas here and we can respond to them.
Paragon
The Gordian Knot

Words: 448583
Joined roleplay: December 1st, 2011, 8:55 pm
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

[Zeltiva] Query Desk

Postby Echelon on June 23rd, 2012, 2:28 pm

This has actually be in great demand, and anybody interested would have your moddly gratitude.
Echelon
Pew~Pew!!

Words: 238180
Joined roleplay: March 9th, 2012, 5:21 pm
Office
Scrapbook

[Zeltiva] Query Desk

Postby Pa'haite on June 28th, 2012, 7:59 am

Okay I've got a few ideas so far... they're all underwater stuff right now Ill get to land next
Oh and jus to explain, being in Zeltiva, I thought that most of the plants and animals wouldn't have "scientific" kind of names but more like names that the sailors and merchants gave them that basically just stuck as time passed... So thats kinda how most of that went. If you want them more scientific or proper or whatever I can do that
Oh also I looked up lores on plants and I didn't really see a specific consistent way that the info was all laid out, so I went with something real basic

Marine
Philosopher's Coral
Found: in Mathews Bay near Zeltiva
Distribution: Throughout the bay, though coincidentally clusters more near the University
Appearance: Named for its brain-like appearance. Ranges in color from pale whites and pinks to more incandescent greens and blues. Can grow up to six feet in clusters, but more individually dispersed individuals will usually only grow up to around 3-4 feet.
Uses: There is a myth that if one eats a piece of Philosopher's coral, it will grant one a higher capacity for learning, making it faster to pick up information or skills and easier to focus. Whether this is true or not is unknown. Those who attempt to test this find the coral to be extremely thick and tough, nearly impossible to cut, and then incredibly chewy and tasting of very moldy cheese.

Laviku's Fingers
Found: in Mathews Bay near Zeltiva
Distribution: Throughout the bay, in fairly shallow water
Appearance: Distinct finger-like shape. Vary from a cream to pink to peach color.
Uses: Has no actual use, but is often scraped against by swimmers who don't know the bay enough to watch out for them. The long scrapes that occur, usually on the legs, of these swimmers have been called "Laviku's nails." These have come to denote someone as being inept or new to swimming, the ocean, Zeltiva, or even seafaring in general. Claiming that someone has Laviku's nails has hence become considered an insult.

Sailor's Salad
Found: in Mathews Bay
Distribution: Throughout the bay
Appearance: Received it's name from it's resemblance of a leafy vegetable. Ranges in color from a pale purple to auburn to a dark yellow.
Uses: Pieces of it can be broken off and dried. It has no taste, simply tasting like salty ocean water. It has no nutritional value and is not very filling, but can be used to settle upset stomachs. Commonly used by sailors for travelers with seasickness.

Sea Staves
Distribution: Throughout the bay usually at deeper depths
Appearance: Either creamy white or pale blue. Can grow up to 8 feet in height. Similar to Laviku's Fingers but thinner and do not scratch, as they are soft and will bend.
Uses: None.

Void Sponge
Distribution: In shallow water throughout the bay
Appearance: Can grow up to 6 feet high. Colors range from a dark blue to purple. Named for its tubular shape, which can be said to look like entrances into a void.
Uses: None.

Sea Grass
Distribution: Shallow water around the edges of the bay
Appearance: Can grow up to 2 feet in height. Green, thick fibers.
Uses: Can be used for weaving, making sea grass furniture, dried sea grass can be used to stuff pillows.

Theretch Worm
Found: in Mathews Bay, sometimes Zeltiva
Distribution: Rare usually in the water near clusters of coral, but sometimes along the shore, near the docks
Appearance: Can grow up to 10 feet, but usually seen at around 4. Ranges from dark brown to black. Two sharp jaws sticking out in front. Covered in fine tiny bristles.
Details: Often referred to by locals as the "Petch Worm," simply because of the expletive that is yelled out upon seeing one. If seen, extreme caution is advised, any and all contact should be avoided. Jaws are not poisonous but extremely sharp. Bristles that cover the body can stick into skin and cause numbness in the area that, if not treated, can become permanent.

Breach whale
Distribution: Usually towards the middle of the bay in deeper waters
Appearance: Between 40-50 feet, dark brown-black
Details: Receives its name for it's habit of putting on "shows" of breaching the water, doing turns and rolls as it does so. Very awe-inspiring and popular with tourists, travelers and sailors alike. These whales, when hunted, are primarily used for oils and fats.

Zintila's Dolphin
Distribution: Throughout the bay, far enough from the shore to avoid the risk of being beached
Appearance:Grow from 7-5 feet. Named for the distinct spots that cover their otherwise dark bodies, looking like stars in the night sky. Spots won't fully develop until individuals reach full maturation, younger individuals will only have a few and they won't be as light.
Details: These dolphins aren't as playful and social as most. Instead their behavior is much more mysterious. Seeing one while sailing is often considered good luck, a sign that the stars will guide the ship safely.

Bottle-nose Dolphin
Distribution: Throughout the bay far enough from the shore to avoid the risk of being beached
Appearance: Bottle-shaped nose, grows from 6-12 feet.
Details: These dolphins are known for their playful and child-like nature. They are very social with people and can often be found swimming along next to a ship.

Flirter Fish
Distribution: Throughout the Bay in deeper water
Appearance: Grow from 38-63 inches. Shiny silver color with a single line through their eye of either black or yellow color.
Details: These fish will rub against sharks or whales to remove parasites on them. They receive their name from often mistaking swimmers for a shark or whale and rubbing up on them, which tends to be awkward for swimmers that aren't informed on this behavior. These fish can be caught and eaten, making for a bland but filling food source.

Harbinger
Distribution: Extremely rare, never seen near shore or from shore, believed to be only in deeper waters.
Appearance: Has the features one might expect from a mythological sea monster. Dark brown, grows up to 12 feet long. Many razor-sharp teeth.
Details: Many will claim to have seen one of these, but very few ever have. While seeing a shark while at sea is a sign of bad luck or death, seeing a Harbinger is said to be an omen of complete disaster.

Snub Shark
Found in: Mathews Bay
Distribution: Throughout the Bay
Appearance: Grows to a max of 10 inches. Sleek black in color, bright blue eyes.
Details: Encountering an individual is harmless. The most their tiny teeth can do is create something equivalent to a paper cut. Deeper in the bay it is possible to find "clouds" of them, however, especially around dead fish or other carcass. A group this size should be avoided, as the numbers can cause a person to be cut enough to quickly bleed to death.

Creeping Seaflower
Found in: Mathews Bay
Distribution: In shallower areas
Appearance: Translucent white slug with small soft spines with yellow tips. Grows to around 8-12 inches. When not moving it is often mistaken for an underwater flower.
Details: The slime secreted from this creature can be rubbed on muscles to ease soreness.
Pa'haite

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Artist (2)

[Zeltiva] Query Desk

Postby Eridanus on June 28th, 2012, 8:02 am

Wow that is some serious work done there!

I thought that most of the plants and animals wouldn't have "scientific" kind of names but more like names that the sailors and merchants gave them that basically just stuck as time passed...

I would suggest having the "colloquial name" as a result of history, heritage and culture, as well as the "scientific/classification/formal name" designated by the University that will generally be used for research/specialization purposes.
NOTICE: I am currently mostly inactive til August. As such, guild activities are temporarily halted (watch out for major revamps, changes and organizations when I'm back in full force). Any activity with Eri will be rather slow as well, but I am slowly readjusting back to "Mizahar life", so to speak, so do PM me if we have a thread that I left hanging and we'll talk.

"You must be one hardcore scholar, Eri." (Laszlo)
First winner of the prestigious Mirage's No Kill Medal.
Eridanus
It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time!

Words: 1312082
Joined roleplay: October 24th, 2011, 2:03 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1) 2011 Top NaNo Word Count (1)

[Zeltiva] Query Desk

Postby Minerva Agatha Zipporah on June 28th, 2012, 2:28 pm

Hey guys,

I wanted to drop my own question about development, for a project I'd like to work on with Monty, if he's up for it.

In this thread, Monty and Tock visit "West Street", describing it as part of the wealthy side of town wherein the posh folks like to do their shopping at fancy stores where everyone has sticks shoved up their arses. Cascade mentioned we might get this developed into a full location, which I think would be a great idea in helping develop Zeltiva's "upper class" side that crops up in threads from time to time. There are also two specific clothing stores we've named:

Yvette’s Dresses For All Occasions (in the above thread)
The Saville (which we visited in this thread, without naming it, and I utilized in the second thread linked here for a continuation of this storyline).

I'd like to see if we can get permission to write up some full descriptions of these locations for official location threads. Here's a short summary (which would be expanded upon):

West Street (Basic description copied from Monty's post):
West Street, however, was a place of relative security. Upwind of the fish market, it was where the shops and boutiques popular, and expensive, enough to afford permanent leases on buildings made their homes. They’d still each hold a permit for a stall in the marketplace but the bulk of their more exclusive business was centred on West Street. Clean paving and glass in the windows and only open to people of a certain level of respectability.

Respectability being a euphemism, of course, for cash.

Yvette’s Dresses For All Occasions!: Yvette Mercer, proprietor

A high end dress shop located on West Street. Caters to Zeltiva's upper class, providing custom made dresses for ladies of distinction.

The Saville:

A high end tailor's shop. Named for Heinrich Saville, one of the greatest artisans of the cloth known. The current building is believed to have been his former workshop. One of Zeltiva's pre-Valterrian buildings, which has had extensive remodeling done due to damages over the years. The owners insist that the entire structure is historically authentic, but more learned individuals may discover that the front wall is a modern facade that was put up to cover ancient damages.
Minerva Agatha Zipporah
Quirky Gadgeteer

Words: 1329519
Joined roleplay: April 21st, 2012, 4:50 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1)

[Zeltiva] Query Desk

Postby Echelon on June 28th, 2012, 7:45 pm

Yes, you may develop this street. However, I caution you to keep each shop very focused, and try to be aware of specialties from other cities. The dress shop is great. I urge you to make it exclusively dresses for females. Very very focused wares.

We have a general store, and the only difference for the rich is that they have assistance to go to the store for them. We have no rich general stores.

Just a word of caution.

Also, be careful with Zeltiva economics. We are not a rich port. We have some wealthy families, almost exclusively sailor families. And some wealthy professors who are retired adventurers. It is hardly enough to call them a full cast right now. This may change in the future if the mods decide to expand upon city economics, but for now you will need to keep your project rather modest. I'd approve four shops right now. Each is relatively small but with custom and high quality goods. If things change or if your creations go over big we might allow you to develop more.

I'm very excited to see what you come up with. Good luck. <3

If you have any further questions about this project feel free to post it here.
Echelon
Pew~Pew!!

Words: 238180
Joined roleplay: March 9th, 2012, 5:21 pm
Office
Scrapbook

[Zeltiva] Query Desk

Postby Montaine on June 28th, 2012, 7:58 pm

Just thought I'd make a quick note here: I submitted a background of West Street to Paragon way back when we finished the thread, but it's not posted yet, so you can still get it in there, I'm sure.

Nudge him to post it too, he forgets sometimes.
Montaine
The Glass Boy

Words: 306099
Joined roleplay: April 6th, 2012, 9:23 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Donor (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

[Zeltiva] Query Desk

Postby Pa'haite on June 29th, 2012, 5:02 am

Eridanus - That's a good idea, I was originally going to do that but I wasn't entirely sure how to scientifically name them. Is classification the same in Mizahar as in real life? Like the whole Genus species etc structure
Pa'haite

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Artist (2)

PreviousNext