An Exchange Between Believers (Andresciel)

[Temple of All Gods] An ethaefal returns to the place of universal worship after a few years to formally pay his respects to his god, meeting another follower who happens to be a Syliran mage-knight.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Postby Eridanus on February 17th, 2012, 10:07 am

Day 9, Winter of 511 AV
Early Morning
The Temple of All Gods

Syna's rays barely peeked through the Cobalt Mountains that overlooked Syliras and the great Stormhold Castle towering over the rest of the city. A vantha with his characteristic windswept aurora-streaked hair and seemingly rebellious and nonchalant attitude had woken up early to settle some personal business. Pushing open the doors to the huge temple that was a unique place in MIzahar for allowing and encouraging universal worship, he strode across the spanning floor with purpose, already knowing where he needed to go.

He had came to this same place a few years ago, and now he had the fortune to transit through Syliras while being dragged by Ionu's agents because of some hare-brained prophecy made by some seer to the Alvadas Government. Truth be told, he had some doubts about being dragged half the continent away, even if it was back to a familiar city.

The sight of Yahal's grand altar came into view, and the wooden statue with its prominent golden belt and spear remained in place, unmoved even throughout the seasons.

Yahal, I have come to you. Please accept my ritualistic offerings as a sign of my dedication.

He walked over to the container that held unused joss-sticks on a shelf beside the altar. Holding it over the flame of a nearby candle, he stepped back with the burning incense in hand, mentally dedicating this offering to Yahal as he bowed, then placing the smoking stick on the mini-cauldron on the altar that held such offerings.

He knelt down in front of the altar, closing his eyes as he entered a semi-meditative state. As he regulated his breathing, he thought about the chain of events that resulted in him being here in Syliras, and what the future might possibly hold.

Is this the right thing to do?

And then, there was another silent voice within him. Quiet and calm.

"Is this what you wanted to do? Would you have stayed in Sunberth?"

Eridanus thought for a moment about the violent cesspool of crime and anarchy, and the many sins he had to commit in order to keep himself alive. The entire city reeked of unnecessary violence and carnage, and he was non too proud of his necessary but repugnant deeds while trying to survive there.

I wouldn't. Yet, is this the path I should have gone?

"Where else would you have gone to, if you intended to escape Sunberth?"

He had an idea that he should be at Alvadas, even before the agents came calling for him.

"Then stop reproaching yourself. Ionu needs you and your comrades. Alvadas is in danger, and only the few of you may be able to stop that."

Can I help them? Just by my one person?

"The righteous will always triumph. Have faith and save the city, for there is nothing else that you would have done."

And there is nothing else that I would have done.

It could be said that his meditation allowed him to reach an introspective state where he could question his motives and reach a self-resolution. It could be the tranquil environment of the silent temple that allowed him to reach the necessary serene state. It could be a disembodied entity - perhaps even Yahal himself - who gave him that little insight.

It did not matter. For he was calm, and with the tempest of his troubles resolved he could take a step forward confidently, knowing that he would have no regrets.

If this is the path You have decided, I will trust and follow, knowing that You have mine and everyone's best interests in mind.

Opening his eyes, the serene vantha stepped up from his kneeling position.
NOTICE: I am currently mostly inactive til August. As such, guild activities are temporarily halted (watch out for major revamps, changes and organizations when I'm back in full force). Any activity with Eri will be rather slow as well, but I am slowly readjusting back to "Mizahar life", so to speak, so do PM me if we have a thread that I left hanging and we'll talk.

"You must be one hardcore scholar, Eri." (Laszlo)
First winner of the prestigious Mirage's No Kill Medal.
Eridanus
It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time!

Words: 1312082
Joined roleplay: October 24th, 2011, 2:03 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1) 2011 Top NaNo Word Count (1)

Postby Andresciel on February 18th, 2012, 4:26 pm

Andresciel approached the altar quietly, his heavy armor making little nose if any, and his familiar floating along around his head. The small little smoke wisp seemed to chatter non-stop, but Andre had tuned him out as he prepared himself for prayers. He spotted another at the altar, causing him to stop, his blue eyes shifting as he felt his djed flicker. He approached the man's side slowly, settling into a kneeling position as he closed his eyes. He focused, not on the world around him, but the world inside his heart.

Yahal, grant me the strength to do what must be done. Grant me the wisdom to see that which is right.

The Knight prayed softly, his hands placed on his knees, as he sat for but a moment more. He stood up, wiping his hands over his cloak as he sighed, "May Yahal have mercy upon me in my endeavors." The Mage stated as he glanced aside at the man standing with him. "Greetings, I am Ser Andresciel of the Syliran Knights."
Andresciel
The Mage Knight

Words: 90070
Joined roleplay: May 12th, 2011, 3:07 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Eridanus on February 18th, 2012, 4:39 pm

As the vantha opened his eyes, he noticed with a jolt that there was an armored person beside him who had managed to silently come up alongside him. Judging from how he was standing he seemed to have stood up from a kneeling position like he did.

A fellow devotee?

Upon the man's introduction and proclamation of his affiliation, things clicked and it made sense. Syliran knights often prayed to Yahal, alongside with the myriad of other gods that governed the values that they cherished.

"Eridanus, Ser Andresciel. A follower of Yahal, I take it?"
NOTICE: I am currently mostly inactive til August. As such, guild activities are temporarily halted (watch out for major revamps, changes and organizations when I'm back in full force). Any activity with Eri will be rather slow as well, but I am slowly readjusting back to "Mizahar life", so to speak, so do PM me if we have a thread that I left hanging and we'll talk.

Eridanus

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Andresciel on February 18th, 2012, 5:12 pm

The Knight nods "Aye, and I take the same of you." The Mage Knight stated as he watched the man, before turning his eyes to the altar. "Sorry, did not mean to disturb you. I came here to find peace in my stormy thoughts. Lord Yahal gives me peace and strength." He explained, his sapphire blue eyes on the altars centerpiece. "Sometimes it helps." He shrugged, as he offered his hand "A pleasure to meet you Eridanus."
Andresciel
The Mage Knight

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Eridanus on February 18th, 2012, 5:24 pm

"No worries at all, I have just finished my business here."

The vantha looked at the knight curiously, wondering what other people saw in Yahal. He had his own personal reasons for trusting and believing in the god of purity, but he had not really met another follower as well.

"If it is not too much for me to ask, how did you find your faith in Yahal?"

Eridanus

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Andresciel on February 18th, 2012, 5:27 pm

He frowns as he looks at the altar. The question brought back memories of the curse on mages. "I want to remain sane. And Yahal's meditations keep me from losing myself to what I do, as a Mage." He sighs as he shakes his head, "I am a faithful man, one who rarely goes outside the bounds of honor. But still, what brought me to Yahal is quite simple. He offers me the peace that no other can bring to me."
Andresciel
The Mage Knight

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Eridanus on February 18th, 2012, 5:35 pm

It seemed that Eridanus was not the only with one with a dark past, though for hope he looked at Priskil.

"He is one with grand but noble intentions," Eridanus agreed. "I find it hard to stay on His path of utmost righteousness sometimes, but I strive to be so. I wonder... do you have any suggestions on how to better follow His ideals?"

Eridanus

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Andresciel on February 18th, 2012, 5:46 pm

"Stay true to yourself." The Knight said softly, the truest advice he could manage. "And stick to your path. Life goes many ways, but faith in oneself helps." He shrugs as he chuckles, glancing at Eridanus, "Why? Do you need help, my friend?" He would ask, hoping he could aid another of Yahal's children, and he would lend his strength any way possible.
Andresciel
The Mage Knight

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Eridanus on February 19th, 2012, 5:21 am

Eridanus did not exactly need help for his current troubled had been just resolved. However, he thought about the idea of blind faith, and he found it highly disturbing. Perhaps he had understood Yahal wrongly, but so far the thought of just following in the will of the divine jarring to his personal beliefs. The vantha was a highly logical person, preferring analytical reasoning over gut instinct (most of the time, at least). Like how he came to the resolution earlier, it was trust in his belief of Yahal's ideals combined with some reasoning of consequences and implications. Perhaps he needed to know more about Yahal before being so quick to judge, and he would be damned for having misunderstood the God of Purity.

"Pray tell, Ser Andresciel, what do you know of Yahal? I fear my understanding of His motivations may be highly flawed and my idea of Him may be imperfect."

Eridanus

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Andresciel on February 19th, 2012, 9:38 pm

He only smiled, voice soft "I can not claim to know him so well." The Knight.said softly, "The gods have strange ways, my friend. Yahal guides my practices, that is all I know"
Andresciel
The Mage Knight

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Next