World Magic and Magic Labs

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Postby Eridanus on March 16th, 2012, 1:54 am

Not sure if this is under Tarot or Gillar, but I'll just throw this question out in case someone does know the answer:

1) What are the functional differences between simple and elaborate magic labs? Is it something like maybe >MC5 can only be created in elaborate labs, or perhaps only Competent and Novice level difficulty alchemy can only be done in simple labs? That sort of thing?

2) Can the specialized resources for labs be stacked? For example, if you pay +25% to specialize the lab in alchemy, can you pay another +25% for a total of +50% to equip the lab for animation as well, or can only one lab support one specialization?

3) Speaking of specialization, what can a magic lab do or cannot do without paying the 25% for both simple and elaborate? Is it a compulsory thing to outfit for the specific world magic?
NOTICE: I am currently mostly inactive til August. As such, guild activities are temporarily halted (watch out for major revamps, changes and organizations when I'm back in full force). Any activity with Eri will be rather slow as well, but I am slowly readjusting back to "Mizahar life", so to speak, so do PM me if we have a thread that I left hanging and we'll talk.

"You must be one hardcore scholar, Eri." (Laszlo)
First winner of the prestigious Mirage's No Kill Medal.
Eridanus
It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time!

Words: 1312082
Joined roleplay: October 24th, 2011, 2:03 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1) 2011 Top NaNo Word Count (1)

Postby Clyde Sullins on March 16th, 2012, 2:47 am

1-One difference is how well the space is used. The simple one is meant to be used for one operation at a time, by one, maybe two people. The elaborate is much more nicely done, and looks nicer with better materials, uses the space better, including the walls, and is made to be used by more people, easily 4 operations at a time going on, and that many work stations.

The reason that it can be used as well by any level of magic user, is that the same equipment more or less is used for any level of user. It is the user that is getting better. This is different from other skills, like metalsmithing, and gadgeteering, were as the user gets better, they need better and more varied equipment. Though this differs from field to field, as some higher level users of world magic unlock new techniques that could take new equipment over the more basic stuff.

If a competent gadgeteer, and a master one use the same materials, and pieces, they will more or less come out with the same thing. But if a competent magecrafter, and master one use the same materials, the master will be able to go much farther with it and do more, along with being faster at it.

Also for the same level enchantment, it lowers the chance for a master doing it, over a competent user, of things going disastrously wrong, and the entire place being decimated by a magical explosion. Though really high level by even a master might still end in magical decimation, look at how Areesa Tallshade died! And she was one of the best magecrafters!

2- For number 2, I would think no. If you try to stack things like that, it would be to much going on in one space. Would not be enough room.

Is like saying I want to use x room for my bedroom, and my bathroom... The bathtub and toilet and sink are in there, and situated by design, you are not going to be able to shove them over and stick a bed and tv in there.

Unless you can call in an expert gadgeteer to come in and design and help utilize your workspace, is not going to happen. Plus would probably be cheaper and easier to just get a second lab, than to pay a gadgeteer to design the one to be more efficient and able to be used for more than one.

3- If you plan on doing anything high level with most world magic, it is a good idea to have a specialized lab. It is not as big of a deal to do low level stuff, but for high level, you want one.This varies from discipline to discipline however. While all you need is some circles for animation, which is not as big of a deal, you would definitely want to specialize for magecrafting, for all of the equipment, setup, and stuff you would be using.
Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Graders note: :
Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Words: 2343955
Joined roleplay: June 18th, 2011, 1:14 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Gillar on March 16th, 2012, 9:24 am

I will see if I can help a bit with this. First, the labs as listed are as follows:

Simple Lab - Includes a wood or stone floor with a small library of mystical writing, a desk and a lab table. There are crude furnishings and a basin with an open barrel of water. Also included is a fireplace.

Elaborate Lab - Includes numerous tools for magical research. Blackboards cover the walls and there is a rough tile floor, four basins with barrels of water over them and a large barrel set up on a hinged platform for emergencies requiring quick dowsing of water. Otherwise similar to the simple lab but requires an apprentice to take full advantage of the facility.

The obvious and primary differences are in the basic design; the simple lab is really rough while the elaborate one is a bit more refined. Again, this is in design and overall appearance. When putting together this part of the price list, I wasn't really breaking things down into differing qualities of labs being capable of allowing only certain skill levels of magic to be performed or certain levels of items to be created. However, it would be safe to assume that a simple lab isn't going to be capable of handling heavy amounts of experimentation and magical releases whereas the elaborate lab can be justified in handling a bit more abuse.

Specialized resources for labs cannot be stacked per say although the same effect comes out in the end. If you want say an alchemy lab and a magecrafting lab, you would have to purchase two separate labs and throw in the 25% to each one so you are effectively adding 50% to the cost. Remember, the lab space is only 400 square feet per building unit so trying to cram too many functions into one 400 square foot space just isn't going to work. So let's say you want a magecrafting lab and an alchemy lab, you can purchase 2 lab spaces to increase the overall size to 800 square foot. You then designate one part of the larger lab to magecrafting, the other to alchemy.

As far as specializations go, a magic lab without the specializations is lacking any equipment other than what is mentioned in the descriptions. Purchasing the specializations provides the basic tools needed to practice or experiment with a specific type of magic. So purchasing a lab with a magecrafting specialization will give you the basic tools needed for magecrafting; pedestal, collection of lenses, mirrors, hammers and tongs. The specialization add-on does not grant any of the ingredients, reagents, catalysts, etc., that may be used in the various types of magics. You could of course just buy the lab without a specialization and decide later what you would want to use it for though you would have to find a different way to outfit it since you chose not to have all those items included.

What can you do in a "generic" lab? That is kind of up to you as far as what your character wants to do with it and/or what your character's skills and concept allow. If I were to purchase a standard lab without specializations, I may do so with a character that isn't really specialized or focused in any particular magical discipline. I would use the lab as a quiet place to tinker or play around with what magic I do know. Then, when I've decided what discipline, if any, I want to take further, I would look into outfitting it respectively.

Going forward with this, I may end up changing the price list so that specialization costs are built into different types of labs that you can purchase. Right now though, my idea is to allow someone to be able to purchase a generic, standard lab or upgrade it for specialty.
Gillar
Forging the World

Words: 1345407
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 6:44 pm
Race: Isur
Office
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)