That Signet Ring (Leigo)

Leigo learns the truth about the past.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

That Signet Ring (Leigo)

Postby Cascade on April 19th, 2012, 2:55 pm

75th Spring 512 AV

The storm's aftermath was finally receding, and Zeltiva was reverting to what it was. The famine was over, the wrecked buildings were being brought back to their former glory, and people were starting to rebuild their lives.

The sun was just beginning to set, and an old man inspected the streets, muttering to himself about how the youth so quickly forgot about the troubles that had just surpassed, as if learning nothing from it. He observed the faces on the people around him. "Damn fools with their foolish smiles, what, they think the gods can conjure up another storm in no time?"

Then his eyes flashed over a boy whose face looked vaguely familiar. 'No, it can't be,' he thought. His old eyes flashed to the signet ring on the boy's hand. 'Really...?'

"Hey, you!" he managed to croak out as loudly as he could. The boy was on the other side of the street, and his voice was drowned out by the crowd around him. Groaning, old man Tristan gripped his cane and walked closer to the man. He snapped his fingers in front of the boy. "Boy! Where did you get that ring?"
Cascade
The Demi-Goddess

Words: 182001
Joined roleplay: April 1st, 2012, 3:07 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

That Signet Ring (Leigo)

Postby Leigo on April 19th, 2012, 5:09 pm

Leigo walked the streets slowly, marveling the speed at which everything was being renewed. It wasn’t like he particularly cared for the plights of others, but progress, wherever it was being made, also made him feel like he too was moving forward instead of being stuck in the same hamster wheel for years.

If only for a moment, the boy’s ears picked up some noise. Someone calling out to another, it most definitely couldn’t be for him so he disregarded it completely. After all, he had no one left in the city. Well, there was Anaya, but she would have smacked him by that point for making her chase him. The thought of someone calling him especially seemed wrong and foreign.

He looked down at Onuo for a moment; just to be sure the creature was still there. The familiar was quieter than usual and normally that would irritate the boy to an extent, but he was much too absent minded to notice it fully. The alien still remained by his side, his form sealed into a small stone that reflected light vigorously. It was a relief. Handling something else bad happening this season seemed like too much at that point. Maybe he could find something to take his mind off everything later?

Fingers snapped in front of him and an old man appeared. Leigo smirked at this newcomer, confident it was just another beggar or some kind of a joke. Still, he had no interest in either at that time. Looking down at the man coldly, he shunned him away. “The ring belongs to my family. Go away now old man, I have nothing to give you…” well that wasn’t quite true, but who cared? Sliding himself past the elder, Leigo was leaving.
Leigo
Player

Words: 154744
Joined roleplay: March 3rd, 2012, 12:29 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

That Signet Ring (Leigo)

Postby Cascade on April 20th, 2012, 4:51 pm

In an instant, the old man's expression distorted to one of irritation. The boy thought he was a beggar! Tristan lifted his cane and hit the boy's ankle with it. It wasn't powerful in any way, though he thought it was a good way to teach Leigo about respect.

Yes, he did look like a beggar. Tristan had tattered clothes and a rusty cane, but he surely didn't come to speak to this boy to ask for coins.

"You little..." he muttered under his breath. "I thought you resembled the master Igrodoth in his younger days, but hear me when I say this, that man would never have fathered such a fool."

The old man spit on the ground to show his distaste for Leigo. He walked away, continuing to mutter words under his breath.

"Belongs to his family, he says... yeah, right, swiped it off somewhere, I bet."
Cascade
The Demi-Goddess

Office
Scrapbook

That Signet Ring (Leigo)

Postby Leigo on May 1st, 2012, 7:11 pm

Igro…

Igrodoth?

Igrodoth!

That was definitely what the man had muttered if Leigo believed his ears, and he damn well did. Forgetting everything he might have had on his mind for the moment, Leigo turned around swiftly, catching the old man by the shoulder and pulling him back in a quick, careless manner. He wasn’t inattentive enough to let the man fall though, so he steadied his one foot in the grave body and asked what he needed to know.

“Where did you hear that name old man? And asking about my signet ring… Did you know my father?” and after a longer pause “why is it that I haven’t seen you before?” they were all credible questions, but Leigo’s questionable people skills would hardly squeeze out pleasant answers.

No matter, if the man chose not to speak willingly, there were always ways – some less pleasant than others.

Onuo was silent.
Leigo
Player

Character sheet

That Signet Ring (Leigo)

Postby Cascade on May 4th, 2012, 5:42 pm

Tristan felt the air get knocked out of his old lungs as he was forcibly turned around. Swearing under his breath, the old man turned his gaze at Leigo, his forehead creased in irritation.

So now his words meant something more than a beggar's?

"Your father, you say?" the old man said as he tapped his cane impatiently. "If your father is indeed the master Igrodoth, then I would say I did know him. I was one of his workers until the unfortunate incident."

Tristan looked at Leigo from head to toe. He suddenly seemed interested in him, as if he had questions that he needed answers to. However, Tristan was not pleased with him at all.

"It is clear that you would not find me familiar if you see me as a beggar. I see you now and I know that you pay no heed to those you think who are beneath you. Tell me, boy, am I wrong to assume that? Indeed, I once knew a man named Igrodoth. What is it to you?"

The old man paused. He sighed deeply, as if remembering a distant memory.

"What happened to the master was unfortunate, yes. Tell me, if you are indeed the master's son, why have you done nothing to those who caused his death?" the old man gave another sigh. "I never knew he still had family behind. Now that I do, I wonder why nothing was done."
Cascade
The Demi-Goddess

Office
Scrapbook

That Signet Ring (Leigo)

Postby Leigo on May 4th, 2012, 8:09 pm

The old man was angry at him, Leigo could tell. Still, the boy hardly cared about emotions of such a worn out character. If Tristan was of importance to the greater picture, he might have some value. Without even a hint of interruption, Leigo pressed silence on even his own thoughts. Strangely even Onuo seemed to get the cue, remaining perfectly still in both mind and ice.

So the old man worked for the family. That wasn’t surprising, his father had hired many people back in the day, and it explained why the old man called him master. Still, Leigo knew the faces of many of his father’s men and Tristan’s still evaded memory. He might have gotten lost in thought there had it not been for a rude interruption by the geezer himself.

So he would play hard to get after all? In a flash Leigo’s mind went from smacking the old man outright in the middle of the street to asking Onuo if he could reward the pest with some nifty wounds. Luckily fantasy occupied him long enough to provoke any actual action. As soon as it had appeared, the man’s spite turned into frigid tones of disappointment.

Leigo however had no time for contemplations of his etiquette, so he went for what was actually of interest to him. “Old man” he stopped, hesitating “you asked me how come nothing had been done? How come I haven’t done anything to those who wronged my family,” his throat started closing up at ten thousand needles of realization springing down his ears.

“I thought their ship sunk in a storm. Sure father was a great sailor, but these things…” his eyes betraying sadness and anger looked away “These things happen.” Taking a long breath, he had one more question.

“But that isn't what happened, is it?”
Leigo
Player

Character sheet

That Signet Ring (Leigo)

Postby Cascade on May 7th, 2012, 3:36 pm

The old man gazed at Leigo. His expression changed from cranky to something completely different. For some reason, his eyes softened, his lips were a thin line, and he looked at Leigo with what one could only interprety as pity.

Tristan was about to say something, but he stopped himself. The old man took a glance around the street, as if wary about being watched. With a deep sigh, he gestured for Leigo to follow him and then started walking off.

His walk was slow and painful as he clutched on his cane, but evidently, the main streets weren't a safe place for such a conversation. He turned at a corner and entered a narrow street, continuing to walk to a more obscure location. The old man didn't even look back to see if he was being followed by Leigo.

Finally, he stopped in an empty alley. Tristan looked around, as if still concerned that somebody might be watching. He was mumbling under his breath, "Wretched people have their eyes everywhere, after all..."

He faced Leigo. "Your father got into some pretty bad business with an... uhm, underground organization. You'd call them smugglers, or petty thieves, whatever. Basically, he got on their bad side, refused the easy way out, and died for his principles. That make sense, boy?"

The old man paused. He looked like he was at odds at something, as if he couldn't fully put into words all the things that he needed to say. The troubled look that he wore might have implied that he was having an internal debate with himself.

"Now that I think about it, it's probably smart that you didn't know. Being rash would have been foolish... and it is still foolish. I can't tell you how to find them, but I can tell you how to get their attention. But as I said, it would be very foolish."
Cascade
The Demi-Goddess

Office
Scrapbook

That Signet Ring (Leigo)

Postby Leigo on May 7th, 2012, 6:37 pm

Tristan pitied him… such a shameful situation. An Abranox should never find himself at such odds. Being the last heir of his father’s name, Leigo felt deeply disgraced for having to depend on Tristan. The old man couldn’t have been more than what, 300 hundred years old, pushing towards Nuit golden age?

Soon the old man walked, Leigo following quickly after. A familiar voice spoke as every inch of Leigo’s being shook in blind ignorance.

This isn’t a good idea. He may be trying to lure us where he can land a strike unnoticed. Onuo’s tone expressed the gravity of the situation well, but they were still Leigo’s legs and they obeyed no master other than a wish for final resolution. His father deserved better than an unmarked watery grave after all. All Abranox bones needed to be buried in Zeltiva, laying a foundation for the new generation to tread on like they walked on their priors.
Even though Leigo refused to acknowledge the creature with a response, the familiar let out a soft noise resembling a sigh and added one more thing before getting back into cerebral background.

Be careful!

Like a senseless fool, he was heading for a separate alleyway with a man he didn’t know. This antique who spoke of his father and how he died – for all anyone knew, Tristan was just as likely to be the traitor as anyone else. Perhaps he was just baiting Leigo in a trap, tying loose ends and all.

The old lips parted and Leigo’s eye started twitching. Be it irritation or pure shock, all his ulterior motives were pushed aside for the sake of one word, beautiful in its own finer aftertaste – revenge.

Cold eyes turning into Onuo’s smaller brothers, the boy wanted blood to be spilled for such a blasphemous word ever being spoken. Even more so he wished to end all those who wronged his family if such words would prove to be truthful.

“Tell me!” it wasn’t a pleading voice.

No more room for politeness, especially since Tristan did such a good job of getting them safely away from prying eyes.

If he does anything funny, kill him! Again not a plea, but the familiar voiced no protest.
Last edited by Leigo on June 9th, 2012, 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leigo
Player

Character sheet

That Signet Ring (Leigo)

Postby Cascade on May 9th, 2012, 2:04 pm

"No need for yelling, petchin' kid! answered Tristan in irritation as he hit his cane against Leigo's ankle. "I have old ears but I can hear you just fine!"

Tristan paused to regain his composure. He was in deep thought about just what he should tell this boy. What he said could possibly lead to something foolish -- a path of revenge, actions done with impulse, and even death itself. He didn't know who Leigo was and how he acted, but it was evident that he wanted the information.

"Like I said, they're an underground organization. They are not heard by many, though whispers about them travel through the dark streets. It is said that the goddess Yshul herself guides them, but I do not know the truth of this. They watch the thieves and make themselves known to the good ones. Are you a thief, boy? No, you look like too much of a rich brat to be one... you can also catch their attention by having something rare and pricey. Doesn’t mean they'll show themselves to you as they run off with it, though.

"Lastly, since they have eyes everywhere, then just make it known that you are looking for them. Yell it out in the streets that you want... what was his name? I think it was Lion. That should get their attention, and if they think you're worth their time, then they'll get to you. That’s probably the fastest way, and also the most dangerous one. You understand me, boy?"
Cascade
The Demi-Goddess

Office
Scrapbook

That Signet Ring (Leigo)

Postby Leigo on May 23rd, 2012, 4:44 pm

Even though Leigo had suspected his father’s rise to fortunes to be less than saintly, having this man confirm his doubts felt like a grave insult. It might have all been true for all he cared; he just wanted to swing at something in hopes of breaking a hand, a face, his shame. Leigo could feel tremors at the back of his eyes. Watery movements shifted distantly as if preparing him for ease.

He wouldn’t cry. That was never an option. Keeping strong was paramount even after everything. The family’s face was measured by the actions of its members, and he as the only member of his needed to keep appearances when dealing with his own past.

I personally doubt the man. Onuo came at a just time with a soft remark carrying the burden of his judgement. If you knew my father, you would believe it. A simple sigh for all three of them and he would continue, he needed to.

We shall hear him out. What I told you still stands. If he tries to do anything potentially dangerous, react swiftly and rid us of his spirit. Short thoughts for an even shorter fuse, the boy felt irritated for being the last one to know about a matter so private.
If Onuo had a problem with something Leigo had said, he held back his words for another occasion.

The blond wanted three things. He wanted vengeance and justice executed, and pride regained. All three held great merit, but only one seemed to bring shame and discord amongst the smugglers that stole his father.

“I want to know more about how to contact them.” So be it! He would steal if it need be. All for the memory of his father avenged.
Leigo
Player

Character sheet

Next