The Ebonstryfe Calls (Clyde Sullins)

Clyde and his party are ambushed in the forest, but is it an ambush, or the opportunity of a lifetime?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

While Sylira is by far the most civilized region of Mizahar, countless surprises and encounters await the traveler in its rural wilderness. Called the Wildlands, Syliran's wilderness is comprised of gradual rolling hills in the south that become deep wilderness in the north. Ruins abound throughout the wildlands, and only the well-marked roads are safe.

Postby Verilian on May 18th, 2012, 9:39 pm

The Ebonstryfe Calls

Timestamp: 65th of Spring, 512 AV

He'd been traveling for ten days now, and if what the guide was saying was correct, they should be just over half way to Ravok. As with any journey, it was long and tiring. The weather in the wilds was no where near as hospitable as it was in Ravok, pelting the travelers with rain every few days. But Clyde was a survivor from the storm earlier in the season, a little rain was nothing to him now.

Clyde and the rest of the people he was traveling with were camped for the night. A fire was burning, fresh stew was boiling on the pot, and the weather was good for a change. The merchant in charge was so pleased that he even decided to share some of his beer. The man was a Zeltivan. He'd come to Nyka seeking trade, and was now on his way to Ravok for the same reasons. The beer was kelp beer, and while it wasn't for everybody, it still got you drunk. If Clyde didn't want beer, there was water as well. Whatever he chose, eventually there came a time when he had to slip away from the group to go and relieve himself.

If he wasn't shit-faced drunk, Clyde might notice the fact that while he was gone the sounds of the camp seemed to have died down. If he was drunk, he probably didn't notice a thing. Either way, he might not even mark it as something to be worried about. It was quite possible the stew was done and the chatter gave way to eating, but soon enough Clyde would find out the truth. When he was done and made his way back into camp the first thing he would notice was that everyone was laying down. Which was odd.. it wasn't that late, and the stew was still bubbling away over the fire.

But, as his eyes readjusted to the light of the fire, Clyde would soon come to realize they weren't just lying down. The two of the guards, the ones who weren't on watch duty, had their weapons drawn but were crumpled on the ground with arrows pouring from their throats. The chef, at least that's what people called him, was lying face down in the dirt with a meat cleaver in one hand and a pool of blood soaking into the dirt around his head. The only one who wasn't sporting any obvious wounds was the merchant himself, though he too was crumpled on the ground.

"Sorry about your friends. They would have just gotten in the way."

A feminine voice, soft and seductive. Clyde spun around and found himself facing a beautiful woman. Her lush red lips curved into a smile and she took a step toward Clyde. She was dressed in a black brigandine doublet, and pants, and tall leather boots, with the crest of the Ebonstryfe eblazoned plainly on her chest. Without speaking another word she slowly drew a long, wickedly curved dagger, and took another step toward Clyde.

The woman licked her lips and then lunged. She was fast, and the dagger came straight at him, but by some chance of fate Clyde was able to dodge in time, avoiding a fatal blow and only recieving a stinging knash across his right arm in the process. The woman didn't give him much time to react. As she spun back around a booted foot came up to connect with his chest, sending the mage staggering backwards. Finally she spoke again.

"Defend yourself, or die like the rest of them."
Forecast for tonight... Dark
-----
Wind Reach---Wind Reach Lore---WR Request Thread
Verilian
Retired Staff

Words: 1113582
Joined roleplay: December 23rd, 2010, 9:53 pm
Race: Staff account
Storyteller secrets
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Clyde Sullins on May 19th, 2012, 1:16 am

His journey so far had been more or less nice. He had found this group that was heading for Ravok, and had decided to travel with them. Safety in numbers and all that. He had not revealed his true skills to them, but they were welcome to another pair of eyes, and at times would share there food and drink with him, to compensate for the trail rations he usually went with.

Tonight was one of those nights. They had even been nice enough to offer him beer, all that he wanted really. But he knew not to let his guard down... Especially not out in the wild... He would get drunk on occasion in Ravok... Though not to much... He did not want to end up dead... Though most people left him alone, seeing he was admitted into the institute... That gave him some level of respect... Though he had that badge tucked away...

So Clyde did drink a single beer, just to get a taste, but besides that he only drank water... He had to keep himself sharp... As he walked out of the camp a bit, to take a call of nature, he bent down and scratched Rye behind the ear.

"Just you and me isn't it Rye... I know I can trust you..."

The two of them got a bit out, and once he found a decent tree, he marked it as his own territory. The release of pressure if nothing else was nice...

Clydes hearing was not the best, due to earlier magical mishaps, though he did notice as the sound of the carousing men behind him died down... And Rye seemed to tense up a bit...

Though he was not quite sure what that meant... So he made his way back to the camp, his staff gripped a bit tighter in his grip... Rye by his side... He concentrated within his mind, readying his res if needed... Gathering a small gaseous ball of it in his mouth... Just in case... Better safe than sorry... And if it was nothing when he got back, he could just reabsorb it, even if not all of it...

He soon saw something that worried him, arrows sticking out of the men... People dead... The one looking like he had been slit open, lying in a pool of his own blood...

And a womans voice, which he spun around to meet, one that had even caught Rye off guard... A beautiful woman... One who he did not doubt was as deadly as she was gorgeous... Her armor clearly marked as Ebonstryfe...

Clyde tensed up and raised his staff defensively before him, as she drew out a deadly looking dagger, and stepped towards him.

By sheer luck... Sheer luck, not skill, as he had next to no skill in fighting even with his staff... He managed to avoid being rent open... The edge of the blade glanced off of his staff, and lightly nicked his right arm... Luck...

But it did give him the time he needed, to prepare... As he spewed out of his mouth the small ball of gaseous res he had prepared, spewed out even faster as he spit out his air, when she kicked him in the chest... Telling him to defend himself or die.

He concentrated solely on living, on fighting... On staying alive... Trying not to think about the fact that she did not have a bow... Which most likely meant she was not alone... That he was only alive now by luck, and that if she really wanted him dead, she and her friends could easily end him...

He did his best to focus on her, on the feel of his staff in his hand... And his magic... Nothing else...

He formed and shaped the magic he had spit out of his mouth, into the form he needed... Shaped it into a cone towards the woman... And then used it to pull in air... Tighter and tighter... And all at once he sent out the air and the rest of the res as a shockwave, aimed at the woman.

If he was really lucky, the blast of air and sound, the shockwave, might knock her off of her feet... Maybe upset her footing, or her forward momentum at him... If he was not so lucky, it would at least hurt her ears. It would effect him less so in that way, as the shockwave was aimed away from himself, and at her, and since his hearing was already messed up from a lightning bolt he did not completely recall casting, but had apparently made when possessed...

But that was just the initial move, to put her off her game... Already he was billowing res off of his entire body, which sped up as he was able to totally concentrate on it, after sending off and releasing the shockwave.

As he issued it, he gathered most of it into a ever growing orb in front of him, both hands up and ready, the one still holding his staff, as he molded and shaped the res, preparing it... Some of it though... The bits coming out of his feet and legs below the knees... He instead sent down, soaking it into the ground before him... In case he had to do earth reimancy...

One well placed lightning bolt to the chest would likely kill her, as long as she was not magically protected... But should he kill her... Killing a member of the stryfe could get him into trouble at home... As he soaked the ground before him with res, and prepared the ball of res before him... He decided to go with fireballs... He could tear off chunks of the res, and throw them as fireballs... And if she got to close, he would send the pure res down her throat, and let her choke to death as her innards were roasted...
Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Graders note: :
Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Words: 2343955
Joined roleplay: June 18th, 2011, 1:14 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Verilian on May 30th, 2012, 8:11 pm

The lady was quick, but the blast of air did hit her and it did knock her off her feet, but it didn't matter. She was rolling over and back onto her feet so quick it was as if she'd never been down. The woman was a deadly assassin, and this wasn't her first mage, but that didn't mean she had no respect for the power Clyde possessed. Even so, a small grin appeared on her lips. "That's better," she purred as she advanced on the young mage, darting forward like an arrow to stab at him before diving aside just in time to dodge one of his fireballs.

Clyde was stronger than she had expected. Most reimancers could only control one element, but Clyde had already proven himself capable of two. She wasn't afraid, though. No, she wasn't afraid. Clyde should be afraid, and he would be, of that she was certain. How much longer could he last, how much more djed could he waste?

If she had allies, they did not show themselves. It was just Clyde and the woman and his dog.. wait. Where was his dog? Rye should have been helping Clyde in the fight, but the dog was nowhere to be seen. Had it run off? There wasn't any time to consider the fact that he was alone though, the woman was coming back in for another attack. She ran at the mage, fully aware that he would try to roast her, and in the last instant she was covered in a blinding flash of light.

Clyde couldn't see, though he could still hear.. not that that was saying much for him. His eyes were filled with the white light, and it was painful. It wasn't any sort of magic Clyde had ever witnessed himself, but in truth, it was a simple trick. Flash powder, which the woman had thrown down just before she reached him. And while Clyde was dazed and blinded she slipped behind him and kicked his feet out from under him. The mage hit the ground hard and probably saw more stars before his vision finally cleared.

The woman climbed on top of him and Clyde felt the cold edge of her wicked blade rest against his throat. She was staring down at him, a grin on her face. "I hadn't intended to end this so quickly," she said, "But they didn't tell me how powerful you were."

Clyde could have breathed his magic into her, perhaps, or he could have done something to defend himself, but before he ever got the chance the dagger slipped away from his throat and the woman hopped up, offering the mage a hand up.

"So. I am told you could be useful to the Ebonstryfe. Seems to me I was told right. What do you say to that?"
-----
Verilian
Retired Staff

Storyteller secrets
Office
Scrapbook

Postby Clyde Sullins on May 31st, 2012, 1:30 am

The battle was over quick. As all battles involving fighters as skilled as this woman were. Either one side died, or the other. The great sagas and tales of battles were mostly fluff, added things to make them better in retelling. Clyde already knew that if all that the woman wanted was for him to be dead, he likely already would be...

Not to say that he did not expect her to try and kill him... She was a member of the Stryfe... But he assumed she had some deeper reason, for why he was still alive... The most obvious one coming to mind was to prolong his suffering... It was likely, if he was let to live, that it would only be so she could torture him... Or maybe to use him as a sacrifice... Who knew...

Clyde though did not really see a way to win... To live a bit longer, yes... But to win?... It did not seem likely... The few attacks he had used were paltry ones, compared to his relative skill... But anything to big would take to long, and would not work to well against someone within sword distance... If she was farther away, he could lance her through with a bolt of lightning... But up close... He really needed to train with his staff more... Though it seemed likely that he would never get that chance now...

He might have noticed his dog being gone... If he was not so concentrated on the battle, and living for a few more previous moments... And the beautiful face of the one that was trying to slice apart his own burn pocked face.

Then there was a flash of light. If he had not been so distracted by this, or if he had been a bit more skilled in auristics, he might have thought to use his aura vision to see with... But he did not, and was as thoroughly blinded as any other mundane man...

The next thing he knew, he felt a foot, and then he was on his back... Then the woman was upon him, and he could feel her cold blade pressed upon his exposed neck flesh... He waited, expecting at any moment to feel it sink into him... But it did not...

"I hadn't intended to end this so quickly, but they didn't tell me how powerful you were."

Well that answered that, she had come for him... Had been sent for him... Though he did not know why... Or what she wanted from him... Or why he was still alive...

Then the one thing he expected least happened... She took away the weapon, and offered him a hand up... He warily accepted it... Not really sure what to think of this...

"So. I am told you could be useful to the Ebonstryfe. Seems to me I was told right. What do you say to that?"

What did he say to that? Well he had considered joining the stryfe... And he was a powerful mage... She did not even know how powerful... She had seen no were near what he could do... Most of what he had done could have been done by a novice... Well two novices, as he had used two different elements... And almost a third, though he had not used his earth reimancy... And they might have tired out a novice... But the small magics had not even made a sizable dent in his reserves...

"I certainly could be useful to the Ebonstryfe... Though you only saw a small bit of my powers I am sad to say. Most of my bigger spells take a bit more time. Plus you caught me off guard, without time to prepare... And admittedly, you did combat me well, staying in close, were if I had used a big spell, it would have hit me also... "

"Though that begs to question... What is it that the Ebonstyfe needs of me, that apparently you alone cannot do?"
Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Verilian on June 6th, 2012, 5:52 pm

"The Ebonstryfe needs anyone it deems useful. Simple as that. Either you join us, and put your skills to the service of Rhysol. Or we finish our fight."

The lady shrugged and turned away, not really seeming to care one way or another what Clyde would do. In truth, she was caught off guard by his use of magic. Though she had known he was a mage, she had been expecting a novice at best. Not that she was at all concerned for her own safety. If she wanted him dead he would be dead.

She motioned to something in the forest around them and a moment later Rye came barreling into the clearing, ready for a fight. The dog was surprised to see his master conversing with, rather than fighting against, the woman, and looked to his owner with confusion.

With the return of the dog the woman turned back to Clyde. "Your party is dead. You are alone now, save for your dog. We considered killing it as well.. but dogs have their uses. Find your way back to Ravok, and we will contact you again. If you die here in the forest.. then I suppose you weren't so useful afterall."

The woman offered Clyde a wink that might have been flirtatious, had the circumstances been different, before vanishing into the forest. Clyde wouldn't see her again, not unless he made it home to Ravok, and he would see no sign of other Ebonstryfe either. It was just him, his dog, and a bunch of dead bodies.

On the plus side, the merchants had been traveling with food. The horses to pull their wagons were dead, but Clyde could salvage what food he could from the wagons for his journey. They were following a forest path, one that supposedly led all the way to Ravok, so Clyde hopefully wouldn't get lost along the way. But he wasn't an experienced woodsman, and the wilds were more dangerous than ever since the djed storm. It would not be an easy journey to make alone.

OOCAnd so begins your quest. I will try not to drag it out too long.
-----
Verilian
Retired Staff

Storyteller secrets
Office
Scrapbook

Postby Clyde Sullins on June 6th, 2012, 6:27 pm

They wanted anyone who was useful... Well, that was both a bit obvious, and a bit unsettling... It made it quite clear to Clyde, that should he lose his usefulness, he would become expendable, just like those caravaneers had...

Clyde fought a shiver at her words, and did his best to smile at her, though admittedly it took on a fake, plastered on look... She was beautiful, but under the surface, she was the solidified embodiment of deadliness... He was glad in this case, she did not consider him expendable... A powerful mage he might be, but he could still be killed by a arrow to the neck, or a slashed open gut... Perhaps he should do something to fix that...

Clyde let out a pent up breath, he had not realized he was holding, as Rye reappeared, coming racing up... He had only half consciously realized he was gone, but was happy to see the dog was back... He would have missed his companion...

And now the test... He had to make it back, with just his wits and his dog... Back to Ravok... How far were they even from the city? At least a good bit of days...

With a wink, the woman was gone, leaving Clyde alone with the quickly cooling corpses, and the remnants of the caravan... Clyde knew he had to move on fast, before the bodies attracted animals, or scavengers... Or worse...

Clyde would root through things, putting a preference to food that was easy to use, such as things that would not spoil, or did not need cooking, such as smoked or salted meats, and such, and some water. It might not be the best tasting, but it would be the most effective for its weight, and mean not having to try to hunt.

Though he might have gotten to little or to much for what journey was left... He just got as much as he could comfortably carry, without overburdening himself. Luckily he had a rucksack to go with his backpack, which made more room for carrying things. Time would tell if it what he got was adequate.

Then he set off on the trail, the one they had been following... Walking along with his stuff, his dog, and his staff pounding on the ground with his stepping.
Clydes Stuff

Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Verilian on June 14th, 2012, 7:38 pm

Clyde gathered what he could from the dead before he set out along the trail to Ravok. It was dark and he had to travel slowly, but with Rye at his side, he would be alerted to any danger. At least, that is what he had thought until the Ebonstryfe showed up. Rye only seemed to realize they were there after it was too late, and even then he was of no use in the fight. The dog had vanished, only to reappear when the woman called for him. Did the dog truly belong to the Ebonstrfye, or was it just that they had grabbed him without Clyde noticing. More likely it was the latter, the former being just too unsettling to consider.

Clyde didn't make it far that night. By the last count he should only be a few days away from Ravok, but on his own, it might take longer. How long could he walk before he had to stop and rest? And what if he should come upon something on the road? Only time would tell.

Clyde walked the rest of the night and most of the day before he stopped to rest, and then he only did so because he had to. He was hungry, and the adrenaline from encountering the Stryfe had long since worn off. After dinner he got a poor night's sleep, unable to fully rest himself for worry of being caught unawares in the night. It was true, Rye would likely alert him to any danger, but somehow that comfort just wasn't enough.

When Clyde finally did wake, he was back on the road again for the second day of his solo journey. It was nearing noon and the mage was considering stopping for a short lunch when he heard a noise in the distance. Rye heard it too, the dog's head immediately popping up, his ears standing at attention. They listened for a moment, and then heard it again.

A scream. A woman's scream.

If Clyde chose to investigate, or even if he didn't and simply continued along the trail, he would eventually come across the source of the scream. Three men were chasing a woman around a cart, the woman trying futilely to fend them off with a dagger. Another man was dead on the ground next to the cart, and the three men after the woman were all dressed as brigands, wielding swords of various lengths. None of them saw Clyde as he approached, but it was clear that the men would win out and catch the woman soon enough.
-----
Verilian
Retired Staff

Storyteller secrets
Office
Scrapbook

Postby Clyde Sullins on June 19th, 2012, 2:55 am

As Clyde began walking along, a sudden suspicion came to mind... Or perhaps a paranoid idea... With him it was hard to differentiate in his own head...

Why had the dog not come back when he needed him? It had been so loyal before... It was so well trained... What if it was not really his dog? If it had been switched out for a spy? Or perhaps it had been a kelvic spy from the start, working for someone else to find out things about him, and report back to its true master... What if? He did not know that much of the place were he bought it...

Perhaps he should kill it, just to be safe... He heard the idea in his head, and it did make sense... Better to be safe than dead... He held his staff a bit tighter, looking over at the dog... Just bash its head in, and kill it quick...

But, he shook his head, what if he was wrong... Right now he was all alone but for his dog... Could he make it back without its help? And what if it wasnt a spy... Surely not every pet was intercepted and replaced with a spy... It was not really feasible... No... He would not kill it... Though now that he thought back on his thoughts of a moment ago... They did seem a bit silly... A bit... Paranoid...
--------------------

A few days later, and Clyde was not exactly at peak performance... He was tired... He needed sleep... He was hungry... He really was not made for this living out in the wild... He had lived most of his live either in one city or another, with only a part spent traveling, and never alone...

He almost didn't register the sound of the woman screaming, only realized it fully, when Rye popped up at it. Definitely of a woman... He was just not having good luck... He sped up his pace, trying to get to the woman who was screaming, so he could assess the situation... He did not run, but he jogged, a pace he was much more likely to be able to keep up without exhausting himself, though slower than a sprint...

That was when the sight came into view... A cart sitting there, with a dead man by it... Going around it was a woman, being chased by three men with swords, dressed like they were robbers or something... And they were quickly catching up on her... Already he was exhuding his res, forming a small ball in front of him... He was fairly certain he would not get by without magic here...

As he quickly exuded and formed the ball of res, he considered his options... If he left them to it, they would likely turn on him and find him... And he would be alone against three... Or, he could help her, and it would be him and this woman, against three... Then he would possibly have this woman along with him for the rest of his journey, and not be alone, increasing his chances of survival... Or she could be working with the men... Though that seemed unlikely, as they would have to see him coming to have planned it...

Regardless, in all of the plans, attacking and distracting was his best option... And it seemed it was better off if he did so now, while the woman was alive...

Still exuding his res, Clyde shifted his hands, one holding his staff, making a sweeping gesture with his bare hand, pulling off a chunk of the ball of res he was forming, a bit smaller than his head, a cloud of gaseous res... He ignited the outside of it, and threw it at the brigand furthest from the woman, using the res in its core to push it harder and faster, and making one final push in the direction of the man, as it reached the far limit of his control, and so he transmuted its core to fire...

Even if it missed, it would serve as a distraction... For he did not stop exuding his res... And was forming it into a cloud above his head, half a body length above him... Once it was ready, he would craft it into a bolt of lightning, and toss it at the chest of the first brigand to get close enough to him... Lance him right through the belly or stomach, and likely kill him in one strike, if it hit... He needed them to be close enough to be in range to be accurate, but far enough away that it would not affect him...

Hopefully the fireball would do its job of distracting the men, but if it did not, he would simply shout at them to attract them...

Though he could not help recalling the state he was in... He was not using to difficult of magic... He could do all of these spells since he was reasonably skilled in reimantic magic... So he should not yet have to worry of exhaustion, or overgiving... But it was hard to gauge how much res he was using, and how much extra was consumed by him doing magic in his current condition...
Clydes Stuff

Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Verilian on June 20th, 2012, 2:18 pm

The fireball did not miss and Clyde would witness, perhaps for the first time, just how powerful he truly was. Against a trained assassin, he was an even match at best, but against untrained brigands, he was a terror unlike anything they had ever encountered. The ball of fire blasted into the back of the nearest bandit, setting his body ablaze. The remaining three, both the bandits and the woman, all froze in shock as the burning man screamed and ran around for a few minutes before falling to the ground, trying to roll away the flames. All three pairs of eyes focused on the mage down the path. One of the bandits, terrified as he was, and having never before encountered a mage dropped his sword and ran. The other, perhaps being a bit of a fool, advanced after a moment of hesitation.

Roaring with rage the bandit ran down the path, an easy target for the powerful mage. Perhaps the bandit thought it was a onetime trick, or maybe the man had simply thrown a flask of Ivak's fire. Or maybe he was just a dumb bandit. A dumb bandit carrying a big heavy axe that would easily cleave the mage in half if it got close enough.

It never would.

Clyde loosed his bolt of lightning, striking the man square in the belly. An expression of pure horror swept over the brigand's face before he went up in flames. The bolt of lightning thundered into the ground behind him leaving a gaping, burning hole where his stomach used to be. The man fell over, dead in an instant. By then the one Clyde attacked first had climbed back to his feet, managing to put out the flames though he was severely burned. Upon seeing his friend die, however, he too took off and ran.

The woman did not run away, though the expression on her face was one of horrified terror. She was a simple trader's wife, she knew nothing of magic. To see what Clyde had done shook her grasp on reality, and she fell to her knees next to her dead husband, a quivering mass of fear. The battle, once again, was over in a matter of seconds. This time, however, Clyde was the victor.
-----
Verilian
Retired Staff

Storyteller secrets
Office
Scrapbook

Postby Clyde Sullins on June 20th, 2012, 3:31 pm

Clyde knew he was a powerful mage... He knew this at a deep level, and it filled him with pride... But at the same time, fear. And while he was not a pacifist, neither had he killed many men... He did not count other races, like those zith as men, but actual human men, as conscious, and nearly as intelligent as he... That was hard.

In his life, he had only killed two or three actual men... And now he had killed another, without even a twitch of his hand... An odd sense of euphoria and release, from using the magic, as he usually felt swept through his body... And a sense of power and invincibility, which did not come from the magic at all, but a deeper understanding of himself... It probably would have been better if that sense of power had come from overgiving. But Clyde could tell he had not yet overgiven... Though this battle still seemed to have cost him as much as if he had.

This seemed to clarify in his head, just how superior he was to the average person... How insignificant they were to his might... He tried to shake off this though process, as it was a dangerous path to go... But he could not, not when the proof was before him.

Clyde could see almost as if it was still happening, the foolish man coming at him, trying to slide the edge of his axe right into his skull... It was self defense what he did... He had killed to stay alive... But the look on the mans face, realizing that his guts had been thrown out his back, the sizzling smell of his own intestines... The gaping hole through his body... And then he was dead, on the ground... Another mass of dead flesh, glassy eyed... Gazing up like a fish drowned on air.

For the slightest instant, Clyde wondered... Were people meant to have this power? But he locked that thought away, hardening his thoughts, to far delved into magic to give it up. He clung to his staff for support, like an old man with bad legs... Using the familiar bit of wood to bring him back, feeling its surface, recalling who he was...

"Hi... I don't suppose you are heading to Ravok are you? I could use some company... And perhaps you to would be better off not alone..."

Clyde could not even manage to put a fake reassuring smile on his face... His face instead stayed as impassive and grim... Though considering what had just happened, perhaps that was better.
Clydes Stuff

Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Next