What are you reading?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Feel free to place any off topic chatter, thread games, etc here.

What are you reading?

Postby Tallis on May 22nd, 2012, 3:45 am

So yup, basically what the title says.

I'm an avid reader and I will stay awake for hours on end if I've got a book that's got me engrossed. I always tell myself I'll stop reading at the end of a chapter, but my eyes ALWAYS wander to the first line of the next chapter and I'm stuck reading to the end of that chapter. And then it's four in the morning, and I'm screwed for the rest of the day.

Anyways, I'd just like to know what you've read and why you just couldn't put it down. Go ahead and recommend classic novels or the New York Times Best Sellers, fiction or non-fiction. Whatever you like. I'm sure I'll be interested.

For my selfless plug, I've got to recommend Brent Weeks' "Night Angel" trilogy. It's got magical artifacts and mages/magae, wytches, Vurdmeisters, and "wetboys". But aside from the fantasy element, there are much darker themes such as rape, prostitution, murder, and mutilation. Sex and violence is definitely a central theme of these novels and the parents who thought that the "Hunger Games" trilogy was a bad influence on children would faint if they read Weeks' novels.

The plot is deep and constantly twisting, and the action is non-stop. The characters are so well-developed that I couldn't help but either empathize with them or completely despise them.

Anywho, that's my spiel.

Now, what are you reading?
Tallis
Player

Words: 131572
Joined roleplay: March 13th, 2012, 3:23 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

What are you reading?

Postby Korma on May 29th, 2012, 1:57 am

I'm reading the Harry Potters again, and after that going to re-read the Hunger Games.
And yes, I have stayed up all the night for a book. Several times.
Korma
Player

Words: 928
Joined roleplay: May 28th, 2012, 4:16 am
Race: Human, Svefra

What are you reading?

Postby Nessaisa Protea on May 31st, 2012, 11:56 pm

Right now I'm reading Cassandra Clare's "The Mortal Instruments" and "The Infernal Devices". I'm on Clockwork Prince, book two of The Infernal Devices. The two series are set almost in the same world, and are complimentary to each other. I got sucked in by City of Bones years ago (the concept of fantasy mixed with the modern world is a huge draw for me).
I'm also reading a book on cat behavior, both because I love reading about pets/animals and their behaviors and because my cat has some bad behavior I can't seem to correct.
Before that, I was reading both the Harry Potter books and Charlaine Harris' Southern Vampire Mysteries (Sookie Stackhouse series, they're the books True Blood are very loosely based upon).
The next series I plan on reading is going to be the "Song of Fire and Ice" series by George R.R. Martin. That's "A Game of Thrones" which has a tv series based on it as well. I was going to read The Hunger Games, however, the waiting list at the local library is too long and they don't have an ebook version (just audiobook and paper/hardback).
And so far as staying up until 4am with a book...I think most people in my school didn't even know what I looked like, because I had my nose in a book even when I was walking down the hallways :).
Back online finally!
Nessaisa Protea
Player

Words: 10163
Joined roleplay: January 11th, 2012, 5:51 am
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet

What are you reading?

Postby Anselm on June 1st, 2012, 3:04 am

Zoo Story.
Anselm
Being dead ain't so bad

Words: 203207
Joined roleplay: February 9th, 2012, 3:56 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

What are you reading?

Postby Minerva Agatha Zipporah on June 1st, 2012, 3:08 am

Right now I am reading this.
Minerva Agatha Zipporah
Quirky Gadgeteer

Words: 1329519
Joined roleplay: April 21st, 2012, 4:50 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1)

What are you reading?

Postby Alric Wilmot on June 3rd, 2012, 2:51 am

Currently re-reading the Mistborn Trilogy by Brandon Sanderson. He's by far my favorite author.
"I'm Speaking"
"I'm speaking and using hypnosis"
I'm implanting thoughts using hypnosis
I have implanted an Obsession
Alric Wilmot
The Last Wilmot

Words: 375060
Joined roleplay: September 8th, 2011, 12:05 am
Blog: View Blog (7)
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)

What are you reading?

Postby Sylkra on June 3rd, 2012, 2:54 am

I'm reading Tolkien, I always stick with the classics. :) Lord of the Rings is one of my favorite books (and movies).
"If you want to live your life in a creative way, as an artist, you have to not look back too much. You have to be willing to take whatever you've done and whoever you were and throw them away."

~Steve Jobs

Sylkra
The Ranger Wolf

Words: 65240
Joined roleplay: April 4th, 2012, 10:33 pm
Blog: View Blog (4)
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

What are you reading?

Postby Evalin on June 3rd, 2012, 3:00 am

@ Alric: If you like Brandon Sanderson look up Brent Weeks and his Nightangel trilogy. Its great XD
ImageImageImage

Wretched Aura: As a Wretched One Evalin possesses an unnatural aura about her that causes unease in those who get too close. It can come as a prickle of the hair on the back of the neck, a sense of 'wrongness' about her. How people experience it is different depending on their personality and how they handle the unnatural and unknown. Animals tend to become more agitated, more easily sensing how wrong Evalin is and often avoiding contact with her.
Evalin
The Immortal Witch

Words: 1033971
Joined roleplay: March 20th, 2012, 4:05 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Zinrah Seasonal Challenge (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

What are you reading?

Postby Minerva Agatha Zipporah on June 3rd, 2012, 3:03 am

Sanderson is also ghost-writing the final three books of the Wheel of Time series. A MUST read for all fantasy fans.
Minerva Agatha Zipporah
Quirky Gadgeteer

Words: 1329519
Joined roleplay: April 21st, 2012, 4:50 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1)

What are you reading?

Postby Satevis on June 3rd, 2012, 3:26 am

Right now, I'm working my way through Patrick Rothfuss's The Wise Man's Fear. It's a 1000 page book, and my reading speed's been affected by work and video games, so it should keep me busy for another couple of weeks.

Credit for avatar and signature go to Coltyn
Satevis
Player

Words: 259272
Joined roleplay: April 29th, 2012, 8:37 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Next