Day 1 of the Voyage to Zeltiva

Bones and Alric spend time preparing for the road ahead as they take part in the first half of their travels

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

An inland sea created by Ivak's cataclismic fury during the Valterrian, the Suvan Sea is a major trade route and the foremost hub for piracy in Mizahar. [lore]

Postby Alric Wilmot on June 5th, 2012, 9:37 pm

1st of Summer 512 AV

Alric was surprisingly sure-footed on the deck of the ship. He had only ever sailed once before, and it hadn't turned out so well. Still, he had learned a lot from the experience, and he enjoyed the stationary nature of the ship. Something he found positively alien, considering his upbringing in Alvadas.

He did not bother to speak or learn from the crew. It would only prove a distraction from other matters on this voyage. He had paid for both his companions, an Inartan named Ainsley and a very odd man named Bones. There was something about Bones that made Alric wary, yet that same thing also attracted Alric. Almost as soon as he thought about it, he realized what it was. It was power. Not the faux-power that Alric possessed, illusions and mind tricks, but real solid power. He was skillful, in many ways Alric did not understand.

But he would soon enough. He had brought the man along for three reasons. One, was to learn from him, and prepare for what he might face in Zeltiva. The second, was to protect him from the leering eyes he always found. Even now, the crew of their ship seemed to dislike him. It was most likely the clothing, it almost always was. They did not like such an obvious reminder of their own squalor. Though really, Alric felt that was mostly their fault. His clothes were near a year old, but he took care of them so well, and washed them so often, that they still looked relatively new.

He could tell from the stink of the crew that they had not washed theirs. They probably didn't even try to avoid dirt and slept in their clothes, letting their sweat and grime soak in. Alric shook his head. Why couldn't they be more like Bones? He might have been sweaty, and given Alric a dirty look from time to time. But he knew something very important, something others did not truly understand.

He knew not to judge a man by his clothing. Such a simple thing, yet so hard in Mizahar nowadays. Or maybe it had always been that way. Regardless, that was the third reason. He trusted Bones for his practical wisdom, and understanding. No other warrior could compare to the beast of a man, in more ways than one.

Alric sighed, releasing his thoughts from such things. He leaned against a mast, where a large opening was made, as per his request to the captain. Bones would wake soon, or come from breakfast. Alric didn't know what he was currently doing. But today was to be the first of their lessons on swordsmanship. Alric had bought a rapier a while ago, and while it was good in a bluff, he had no idea how to really use it.

That would change in the coming week.
Last edited by Alric Wilmot on June 10th, 2012, 9:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I'm Speaking"
"I'm speaking and using hypnosis"
I'm implanting thoughts using hypnosis
I have implanted an Obsession
Alric Wilmot
The Last Wilmot

Words: 375060
Joined roleplay: September 8th, 2011, 12:05 am
Blog: View Blog (7)
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Ssafirsotibones on June 6th, 2012, 2:55 am

Bones could not help but give a threatening leer at one of the sailors... Petch, they did get on his nerves... The scariness of the look, however, was diminished by Bones stumbling, as the ship moved... Bones preferred the nice solid ground... Not traveling on the surf...

Of course, even with that detracting from it, Bones was still able to scare off the man, and return him to his tasks at hand... He would be happy when this voyage was over, and they were walking on land to Zeltiva...

Bones, as usual, proved to be different from his partner in this venture. Well he supposed they were partners, though often Bones felt like he was contributing more... Bones definitely was not here for the pay... He could have gotten paid more, and easier work, by hiring on as a guard or merc in the city... No, that was not why he was here...

They certainly set apart from each other... Bones was tall, gangly, and stocky... Alric was comparatively short, thin, and stringy... Bones did not really care about clothes, and would wear whatever would cover a humans idea of decency, not his own non-existent version. Alric, well he seemed to like being well dressed, and keeping his clothes in fine order...

He almost smiled, as he had somehow ended up in a challenge of strength against one of the sailors... After all, just looking, Bones appeared to not be overly muscular... In reality, he just had very compact muscles, which were not easily seen, unless he was bare, and someone looked close... The sailor challenging him appeared to work out... But Bones was not worried...

The two of them rested on there knees, there elbows rested on a box, and there hands gripped together... Bones knew how this worked... It was all about gaining leverage over your foe, using your power and forcing there arm down.

Bones stared into the eyes of the man, as a second man watching called for them to go...

At once Bones began to exert pressure, and in turn, the sailor did also... Bones just kept the same pressure, keeping the arm steady, as the sailor poured on the power, trying to force Bones to concede... Bones simply pushed a bit harder...

He smiled over at the man, as he began to grow red in the face, grunting, and wheezing. Bones just stared back, casually breathing... Even in his weaker human form, Bones could exert more than double a normal humans strength...

Then Bones saw weakness, as the man let out a breath all at once, and the sailors arm slackened. Bones pushed full force almost, sending the mans arm straight down, and slamming it to the crate, denting one of the wooden planks a bit...

As the man let out a yell of pain and anger, Bones released, still smiling... The sailor jumped up, his face red once more, as he massaged his arm, which would surely be sore for bells. Luckily it had not been wrenched or torn.

The man huffed off angry at his loss, and his fellow sailor let out a hearty chuckle at seeing him beaten so soundly. Bones just continued smiling, until he recalled Alric had wanted him... He headed off to find Alric, who was standing not to far off on the deck, within earshot, but not sight.

"You wanted me for sssomessing?"
Bones is a Constrictor Dhani. He likes to eat meat. He also has some speech problems.

When he speaks, a double s (ss) means a [th] sound, that he cannot say.

A triple s (sss) means just an [s], but it is extended in his speech.

Ssafirsotibones
Player

Words: 440799
Joined roleplay: July 7th, 2011, 5:37 am
Race: Dhani
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Alric Wilmot on June 6th, 2012, 7:16 pm

Alric turned to face Bones as soon as he heard the man step on deck. He had a satisfied look on his face. That was a good thing, he thought. If Bones was in a good mood, the day would likely be a good one. Bones was not one to complain verbally, but Alric had caught him giving nasty looks here and there. It was Alric’s guess that Bones disliked sea travel.

Regardless, it was of little consequence at the moment.

"You wanted me for sssomessing?"

Alric nodded ,“Yes, Bones. I was hoping that we might begin my lessons in swordplay. I've seen you in action, and I was hoping to learn a thing or two. I realize my weapon is different from yours."

Alric gestured to the Rapier tied to his belt,

"But I think some general knowledge and some light sparing each day might let me grow competent enough to actually use my weapon. If I should so need it, that is. I...persuaded the captain to let us have this little bit of room to practice. He says we'll only have a week before we arrive at Syliras, so I thought we might make use of the time.

"Also, I think you might appreciate this. I'm not starting from complete scratch. I learned a few things on my last trip on the Suvan. Some basic rudimentary stances. Not much, really. But still, its something. If you'd like I could show you. Though it is up to you. I freely admit that you are my better in this area."
"I'm Speaking"
Alric Wilmot
The Last Wilmot

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Ssafirsotibones on June 7th, 2012, 2:46 am

He wanted him to teach him how to use a sword? One that he had never used before... Well... That was... Odd... But he supposed he could try and do his best... He had seen enough weapons in combat, to know the generals of how to use them...

This one though... It did look oddly familiar... He was almost certain he had seen one before... Though he was not sure were... And now he wanted to jump right into it, facing Bones? Sparring each day with him... Well he supposed he could take it easy on him, try and get him to work up his skills...

In fact, it would probably take a more skilled person to NOT do damage in this case, and to work not to overpower Alric, than it would to simply kill him. So it might be a test of his skill regardless...

"I have no problem in you ssshowing me whatever you want to, if you ssink it will help... Ssough before we fight, I will need a clossser look at your weapon... Need to inssspect it... Try and figure out how to ussse it... I am happy ssough ssat you have decided to learn how to really fight, wissout all of ssat... Magic ssstuff..."

Having said that, Bones would hold his hand out for Alric to hand him the weapon, after of course he showed him whatever it was he wanted to show him that he had learned on his previous water journeys.
Bones is a Constrictor Dhani. He likes to eat meat. He also has some speech problems.

Ssafirsotibones
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Alric Wilmot on June 7th, 2012, 3:31 am

"I have no problem in you ssshowing me whatever you want to, if you ssink it will help... Ssough before we fight, I will need a clossser look at your weapon... Need to inssspect it... Try and figure out how to ussse it... I am happy ssough ssat you have decided to learn how to really fight, wissout all of ssat... Magic ssstuff..."

Alric smiled and gave a nod.

"Very well. I will show you the three stances first. I think you might know enough of swords to correct any discrepancies with the form and my particular weapon."

Alric pulled the Rapier from its sheath, and proceeded to show Bones what little he knew. He put his right foot forward, and turned his left foot ninety degrees to the left. His feet were a shoulder width apart. He struck out his rapier ahead of him, but bent the elbow slightly. His head and chest faced forward, and his knees bent slightly. He stayed springy, recalling the instructions he had overheard so long ago.

This was the basic stance he had learned, the one where the three forms he knew naturally grew out of. He entered into the first one. He stepped back with his left foot, bending both knees and letting his weight settle on it. Then he thrust the point of the sword downward and raised the sword arm to shoulder height. He quickly brought the sword back and entered into the previous position. He then went into the next one. He began the second as he did the first, with his left leg stepping backward. He then rose the hilt of the sword to a height just above the crown of the head, while at the same time bringing the point of the sword to the left and pointing down at a forty-five degree angle.

Once more he reverted to the basic stance. Time for the last bit of Alric's knowledge. He entered into the last stance. He moved the hilt off to the right and brought the point of the blade up to a height slightly above the top of his head. With his lack-luster performance done, Alric sheathed his Rapier and gave it to Bones hilt-first.

He had drawn the looks of a few of the crew, but thanks to the captain's steely gaze, those few went back to their work. Alric stood to the side, then, waiting for Bones' input.
"I'm Speaking"
Alric Wilmot
The Last Wilmot

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Ssafirsotibones on June 10th, 2012, 3:30 am

In all honesty, Bones was not really certain what to take on the "stances" Alric showed him. Only time would tell if they worked. Being used in actual fighting. He could not tell of there use just by a glance. There was far to many variables for that.

He did watch regardless... And they seemed more or less standard fighting stances, though with slight variations, since he assumed they were changed to work better with rapiers specifically. Really, with a small alteration, they could work for other styles... So it seemed they were okay...

He nodded a few times, looking at the knees at one point... Good and limber, springy, ready for movement... Being able to move was important for fighting, and an important factor in Bones fighting doctrine... Which seemed to be incorporated into these stances, at least basically...

Bones took the offered Rapier, and slid it out of its sheath... Waved it around a bit... Now it was time to give his input, to try and help him know how to use it... Also, now he recalled were he had seen it before... That man in the coliseum... He tried to recall how he had fought...

"Well... Sse mossst obviousss ssing, isss ssat it isss meant for ssrusssting and ssstabbing, not ssslassshing. Itsss sssidesss are not really sssharp enough, or heavy enough to do any ssseriousss damage ssat way... You could perhapsss cut sse sssurface ssskin a bit, but nossing ssseriousss... And fatal blowsss would come from a ssstabbing thrust...."

"Alssso... It isss long... Which meansss more range... Againssst ssshorter weaponsss like mine, ssisss isss an advantage, asss you can try and keep foesss out of reach of hitting you, while you are free to attack, if you can keep them out of range... Ssough ssisss isss lessss ussseful againssst longer weaponsss... Or armor..."

"Alssso... It isss light... While it isss willowy, it can break... Blocking an attack from a heavier weapon will end wiss yoursss being broken... Ssso do not block... Eisser redirect an enemiesss blowsss, to control ssem away from you, or avoid ssem all togesser... Block only asss a lassst resssort, and wiss sse sssturdiessst part of sse weapon, probably sse part near sse hilt were you hold..."

Having finished his examination, and summary of the weapon, Bones handed it back to Alric, and drew his own gladius in hand. He nodded at Alric... They might as well begin the hands on part... He would give Alric a moment to prepare, and to absorb what he had said... Then they would begin... He would take it slow... At first...

translate :
"Well... The most obvious thing, is that it is meant for thrusting and stabbing, not slashing. Its sides are not really sharp enough, or heavy enough to do any serious damage that way... You could perhaps cut the surface skin a bit, but nothing serious... And fatal blows would come from a stabbing thrust...."

"Also... It is long... Which means more range... Against shorter weapons like mine, this is an advantage, as you can try and keep foes out of reach of hitting you, while you are free to attack, if you can keep them out of range... Though this is less useful against longer weapons... Or armor..."

"Also... It is light... While it is willowy, it can break... Blocking an attack from a heavier weapon will end with yours being broken... So do not block... Either redirect an enemies blows, to control them away from you, or avoid them all together... Block only as a last resort, and with the sturdiest part of the weapon, probably the part near the hilt were you hold..."

Ssafirsotibones
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Alric Wilmot on June 10th, 2012, 9:03 pm

Bones handed back Alric's rapier, and drew his own blade. Apparently it was time to start the lesson. He nodded at Alric. Signaling that he should get ready. Alric complied, buckling the rapier to his belt once more, and unsheathing it. He fell back into the ready position. He was rather anxious. After all, he had never learned any attacking stances. He had only learned three guards. And Bones? Well, even if Alric wasn't a complete novice he would be wary getting into a fight with him. He was obviously bigger and taller. Meaning he would win in both a contest of strength and reach.

And yet, Bones had said that Alric's sword was longer than his own. Which might mean Alric could make up for the reach disadvantage. And, although hard to decipher thanks to the man's lisp, he had said to redirect the blows. To control them, to keep them away, rather than face them head on.

Alric smiled a little at the words. It was odd, that the way Alric was to fight was also the way he approached avoiding fights. By controlling situations, keeping people at a distance, and confronting his problems from the side. He found it mildly amusing that he already had the mindset. Now, he supposed, he just needed the experience.

As Alric waited in the position, he meet Bones' eyes, and nodded. He was ready to begin. He would let Bones have the first attack. After all, striking first just wasn't in Alric's mindset.
"I'm Speaking"
Alric Wilmot
The Last Wilmot

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Ssafirsotibones on June 11th, 2012, 2:57 am

Bones let a small grin come to his face, as he anticipated the battle, the crossing of steal... As a matter of religion, following Caiyha, and only killing when he had to, he tried to not go around killing willy nilly... But a spar was always exciting, and fun for him... Though he would have to be careful here not to cause any major bodily harm...

Of course, Bones had given a thorough comment on the two weapons they were using... Though had kept some to himself... Like the fact that he only really needed to fear a thrust, and being stabbed by the rapier... It could not really slash...

But his own weapon... It was crafted equally well for thrusting into someones gut, as it was to hacking off limbs, making his own weapon a much more flexible one in its usage, and kill potential... he supposed though in a one on one fight, between people of near equal skill, a rapier might win out... But Bones had not been in to many one on one fights... He preferred his own chosen weapons...

As Alric nodded back in reply to Bones... He smiled even more... Taking the defensive so soon in the battle? That was the mark of a person who was afraid... And who would lose... He knew battle was all about shifting, maneuvering, and surrendering the initiative and ground was not a good thing to do... Every move should be carrying you forward, using the momentum, to get closer, even when blocking and being defensive... Or so his doctrine of combat said...

Bones bent his knees a bit, faced off towards Alric, and grinned, as he sized him up... Then he took a step forward, coming at Alric, swinging his blade at Alric, at chest level...

Though he had pulled back his strike this time, and it would not actually hit, even though it would appear as if it would... Really, it would fall short of Alric's chest by an inch or so... But it would let Bones see what Alric's automatic responses were to an expected attack...

That instant response, without conscious thought, which had to be hard wired and trained in to be automatic... Only time would give that... But it was good to see a baseline, and what Alric's response was right now... Especially considering that much of a fight took place to fast for conscious thought, and directing an attack... Much had to be done on instinct... Letting ones body take control, and do what was best, and not letting ones mind slow you down...

Could Alric do this though? He seemed to pride himself on his mind and his ability to think... Would he be able to disconnect, and allow his instincts to take over? Or would he die, being cut down in the first few seconds of his real first combat, in that time were there was no space for thought...

Ssafirsotibones
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Alric Wilmot on June 12th, 2012, 1:31 am

[Allowed permission by Bones to control his character a bit]

Bones bent his knees a bit, faced off towards Alric, and grinned. With a sudden movement, he lunged forward, aiming his blade at Alric's chest. Despite Alric's knowledge, habits were hard to break, and he immediately broke stance and jumped back giving off a short yelp. Alric cursed despite himself. He went back into the stance, and Bones attacked a second time. It was too fast for Alric to think, and he hadn't actually practiced going into the guards with another combatant. And so he tried to deflect it with the tip of the rapier as it came down.

There was no leverage, however, and Bones was easily the strongest of the two. Alric had made contact with Bones' sword, but it had done very little. Bones stopped his blade an inch from Alric's chest. Alric let out a breath he hadn't realized he had been holding. He knew Bones wouldn't kill him, on purpose anyway. But the even still shook him a bit. Bones withdrew his blade, an unreadable look on his face.

Was he disappointed, perhaps? That Alric was so green? Alric imagined that the man might speak, but he didn't. He attacked again.

This time, Alric successfully stepped into a guard stance, He moved the hilt off to the right and brought the point of the blade up to a height slightly above the top of his head. It caught Bones' sword, but as it did so, Bones' previous words sped threw Alric's head. To not block, but redirect. Otherwise, his sword would snap. Alric flung his blade to the side, moving Bones' along with it. This left Alric's blade across his chest, whereas Bones' was pushed away from his body. Bones' chest lay unguarded.

But the opening was short-lived, and Bones' batted Alric's sword back quickly. Alric knew the man was holding back. But even so, it seemed ridiculously difficult to get an edge in. He had thought that he had seen him smirk when Alric noticed the opening. And for a brief moment, Alric wondered if that moment had been planned. But he couldn't wonder for long.

Bones wasn't aggressive, but he was determined. Alric and he would meet blades for a few moments, then Alric would make a mistake. Bones would wait while Alric reset, and then they would repeat the process. Each time, Bones was the one to attack. Alric didn't know if he was unable to attack, or if he just did not want to. Regardless, he played defensive the entire time.

After a few short minutes, Bones called the sparing to a halt.

"Before we continue I want to give you a few pointersss. I wasss hoping you'd get ssem in time, but it doesssn't look like you will..."
"I'm Speaking"
Alric Wilmot
The Last Wilmot

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Ssafirsotibones on July 2nd, 2012, 11:34 pm

He had flinched. Bones had been testing him, his resolve, what he did by instinct, and he had flinched. Well, he had found the mans baseline, and it turned out to be pretty low...

The second attack, he had not done much better, though had at least made contact blade to blade... Even if it had been so pitiful, it had almost no effect...

But now Bones was fighting, and he was totally focused... He could not let his mind slip, lest he should lose control, do to much, or let his instinct take over... He had to be precise, and be in control... He was teaching him how to fight...

The next bit was a flurry of blows, counterblows, attacks, defenses, feints, even a few times were he left himself open, as a trap, though Alric was not fool enough to capitalize on many of these... He had only really tried one of them... Or perhaps he was only fool just enough, to notice the one, and had not noticed the others? It was hard to say...

After a while, Bones got a bit tired of always being the one to attack. Really, a spar was a fight, involving two sides. It was not fun, if the other side was not really committing, or trying to hack him to bits.

Finally, he just asked him to stop for a bit.

"Well, sse firssst ssing isss attacking. You don't do it! You can never win a battle, by letting sse enemy fight on ssere choosssing. You choossse sse ground for sse battle, take sse fight to ssem, and win a decisssive victory. Even a block, can be done offensssively, to take back ground, to pusssh your opponent, and to gain sse upper hand. "

"Alssso, you need to take advantage of your extra reach. If I know you are a pussshover, I have no fear of getting clossse. But if I am looking out for a possssible attack at any moment, I will be much more careful and reluctant to get in clossse and engage... Even when I am far enough away ssat I cannot attack you, you are ssstill able to attack me. Ssat isss were you want me to be. Inssside your range, but outssside of mine."

"If you can't beat a perssson at ssere own game, in my game head on ssstrong arm tacticsss... Ssen sssimply change sse game! Ssstop trying to play my game, my fighting ssstyle, and play your own game! Messss my fighting ssstyle up, and ssrow me off!"

Bones nodded, and held out one hand, gesturing for Alric to come at him. Now it was his turn to attack... His turn to take the offensive, while Bones defended. perhaps if he started as the attacker, he would better understand the good side to attacking, and not just reacting.
ooc :
"Well, the first thing is attacking. You don't do it! You can never win a battle, by letting the enemy fight on there choosing. You choose the ground for the battle, take the fight to them, and win a decisive victory. Even a block, can be done offensively, to take back ground, to push your opponent, and to gain the upper hand. "

"Also, you need to take advantage of your extra reach. If I know you are a pushover, I have no fear of getting close. But if I am looking out for a possible attack at any moment, I will be much more careful and reluctant to get in close and engage... Even when I am far enough away that i cannot attack you, you are still able to attack me. That is were you want me to be. Inside your range, but outside of mine."

"If you can't beat a person at there own game, in my game head on strong arm tactics... Then simply change the game! Stop trying to play my game, my fighting style, and play your own game! Mess my fighting style up, and throw me off!"

Ssafirsotibones
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Next