Quest Nightshade

Hadrian, Lucas, Nai'shee, Anselm, Wrenmae, Faval, Leigo. An auction in darkness.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

[Quest] Nightshade

Postby Wrenmae on September 6th, 2012, 4:02 am

Watching, waiting, Shroud counted those that came and went with the items in their possessions. Some remained, waiting on larger sums to be delivered, others were taken like prizes, clutched in calloused hands. His prize, however, the armor, was taken by the bird-masked man with a hunch in his stature. The first he took was the Reimancy staff, a magical staff suited more toward the casting of that magic than any other and the armor as well. No doubt there was some plan in store.

Both items pulled at his ambition, but the armor was the most exciting of the bunch. The rest of the items frittered away, too dangerous or not adequate enough to interest the mage.

No, it was this man who retreated with his prizes that caught the storyteller's eye.

The doors were unlocked, the guests departing. Trente was trying to recover from the bout of coughing that seemed to have taken him completely by surprise. Grim, the storyteller said nothing.

If he was strong, he would survive.

Sig by Shausha

This PC has the Blight gnosis. As such, you as a player need to be aware of what that consists of. Wrenmae has an invisible aura that amplifies sickness and disease. Wounds may become infected, small sneezes may become coughing, and a slight fever may become more serious. A nuit's body will also break down faster in the presence of the Blight. These effects may not be immediate, but within the few days following your encounter, the symptoms will manifest. Some sooner than others. I cannot control your character, so creativity will be left up to you. Best wishes and stay healthy!

Special shoutout to Fallon for my new CS
Wrenmae
Taleweaver

Words: 1276299
Joined roleplay: April 15th, 2011, 6:34 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 9
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

[Quest] Nightshade

Postby Hadrian on September 6th, 2012, 6:31 pm

Hadrian was alarmed. Something was wrong, the edges of his perception wavering as if a migraine headache were coming on, the sunstruck colors threatening to overwhelm his vision. But the woman backed down, whoever she was. He made polite noises as she departed, and then allowed one of his helpers to see to the exchange of coin as he stepped back to take a wider view. He had missed the theft of the scroll, it seemed, but then that was why he had hired security.

The woman was right; his information was incomplete. That was the fault of his employers, though, and he hoped that any future such sale did not leave him so in the dark. Then again, if he became a dealer in artifacts, he would be more responsible about who received what. But this was certainly a learning experience.

When the exchanges were through and the guests ushered out into the night and away, his people gathered for their just deserts. He was maintaining his calm demeanor through sheer willpower, though he was feeling slowly worse and worse.

"This," he began, then cleared his throat. "This has been a strange night for all of us, I think. Our employer will, I think, be pleased with the income and so we shall all receive ours." He carefully doled out a base two thousand golden nilos to each*, and the same for himself. Perhaps he ought to have taken more for himself, but his internal code of ethics, however serpentine, would not allow it.

Everything was done now. All that remained was to disperse and for him to tear down his magical constructs.

"Thank you for your work. With the value of the items being auctioned, there was the potential for violence, and we avoided that. I would suggest leaving in pairs or small groups until your pay can be safely stashed wherever you keep them." He noted to himself that he should really found a bank in town, the better for merchants and other people with large amounts of money to safely stow them. It would smooth some wrinkles for Zeltiva's economy, which would help it flourish.

He made eye contact with Trente, not wanting to say his name aloud. "If you will stay behind, I will take you to a healer. Our employer will cover medical expenses." And his own, because Hadrian wanted whatever was wrong with him taken care of.

OOCI'm guessing Nai'shee or Lucas might notice the missing scroll?

*Echelon, you can add any bonus of coin or item, but I don't think I'm actually allowed to do that. :\
Hadrian
Most smartest and best damn tapper.

Words: 1050304
Joined roleplay: March 21st, 2010, 6:50 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1)

[Quest] Nightshade

Postby Lucas Arias on September 7th, 2012, 4:01 am

Fortunately the failed squire didn’t have to stab anybody with his sword today or try to play the part of the hero (a part that usually sucked). There were no assassins, nothing exploded, there weren’t even any huge arguments, but there was something wrong nevertheless. That man Hadrian had apparently hired to help with the auction was getting worse with every passing chime. There was something almost unnatural about it. Why did Hadrian still let him walk around here? He needed to be replaced!

He might damage on of the artificacts, and Lucas didn’t want to think about what would happen if one of them broke. Maybe there’d be an explosion after all. That was it! He decided to walk over to the mage and have a good talk with him. It was just then that he noticed that Trente who was carrying some kind of scroll began to stumble, and he decided that his attention might be needed elsewhere first.

Trente fell off the stage just as Lucas reached it. „Hadrian“, he whispered to his employer as he looked around. „Wasn’t he carrying something? Where is it now?“
Lucas Arias
Ser Lucas Dyres!

Words: 231699
Joined roleplay: May 11th, 2011, 12:10 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

[Quest] Nightshade

Postby Nai'shee on September 8th, 2012, 11:44 am

Nai'shee's care was the worst thing that could happen in the middle of the auction. Hadrian seemed to be bothered by carrying everything out and closing the event, perhaps a bit hurrying to do so. While she was watching for the audience not to make a stealing or killing attempt there, right behind her back somebody used magic to do so.

After a moment, she heard Lucas approaching Hadrian for a question. When she heard him mentioning something Trente had she immediately turned to look. She lost the artifact from her sight too. "It was the scroll, wasn't it?", she whispered from her position, doubting they will hear her. She was sure Hadrian knew that too. But where was it? Trente couldn't have carried it back into safety. Did he lose it? Did somebody take it? She glanced at the audience, but crowd was slowly exiting the room under Wren's lead, while few of those who needed to arrange their pays stayed. It could be anywhere, in anyone's hands.

"Shouldn't we tell Wrenmae to stop them?", she suggested little louder, now approaching her employer. But even the young woman was aware half of them already got away, probably with the thief leading them.

Later on*, when everything was finally over Hadrian gathered them for payments. Receiving her monetary award, she was pretty surprised. She expected as much, but at the same time she didn't. She wasn't a type used to doing jobs that payed this much. But she decided to consider becoming one. Seemingly, all you had to do is make contact with people closer to top. However, she acted normally, as if she was used to the treatment.

OOC*I guess this is a bit timeskip, since we'll need to do another round about the conversation and actions about the scroll, even nor there isn't much characters can do now.

ABSENCE
Common
Fratava
Nai'shee
One day, you'll all know my name

Words: 240186
Joined roleplay: December 30th, 2011, 7:22 pm
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

[Quest] Nightshade

Postby Anselm on September 9th, 2012, 4:17 am

The old Nuit sat on his wobbly chair in front of his decrepit table staring at the rolled-up scroll under the dim light of a single candle. He had no idea what he had taken away from the auction, except that it apparently conveyed some kind of respiratory illness. Being Nuit, he seemed immune. He unrolled the first part of the scroll and immediately realized what he had. It was a detailed description of each of the items auctioned off, including their magical capabilities and how to activate or control them.

“Well,” he said to no one in particular. “I appear to have the users' manual. Now that's interesting.” He rolled the scroll back up and added it to his growing collection of rare and unusual items. Then he sat and thought for a long time.
Anselm
Being dead ain't so bad

Words: 203207
Joined roleplay: February 9th, 2012, 3:56 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Nightshade

Postby Echelon on September 14th, 2012, 6:16 pm

oocGreat. :)
Now we can have as much wrap up as you would like. Wrenmae, please explain a bit more about what u intend to do with your lead. Either by PM or in another post. You may follow him if you'd like. But u will miss the distribution of money, and people will notice.

Leigo I'm still interested in helping you follow your leads as well if you wish it.

Hadrian fantastic as always, though a clerical error must be fixed. A rather disappointing fix may i add. All before papa has my head for jumping the net worth of Zeltivan residence by thousands. 2000 is the total pay, I'm afraid. Evenly split, assuming you don't kill Trente, poor kid, would be 500 each not 2k each. These are down payments, and more a stroke of good will then true payments which will be secured very methodically and secretively in the future by your high ups. Expect your employers to be a little upset when you return with nothing of this good will. Though, your words were true. They will be quite happy enough with the money they do get. Quite... If I could get a closing scene of you taking down these magical precautions I would appreciate it. :) Thanks.

Lucas and Nai'shee I realize some frustration with time-lapses eliminating conflict with Anselm for recovery of the scroll. I am going to maintain that he slipped out unnoticed. You both did fantastic still, and I hope you enjoy your pay. Thank you for helping make the atmosphere of this scene complete.
Blood shot eyes gleaming golden flickers from nearby candle light Trente gave a single clumsy nod to Hadrian's proposal. He would welcome nothing more than a trip to a physician. And, he harbored no doubt a man suck as the fast becoming prestigious Hadrian had connections to nothing but doctors of superior talent.

The coins, all counted in standard mizas were distributed in nondescript leather purses, easily slipped into packs and under cloaks. The stress declined, leaving only the occasional coughing fit from Trente's corner to set spells of anxiety over the room. The candles were extinguished, and stretches of cloth pulled down, then packed away into crated to be removed from the building. After the hodgepodge team's sweep of the building their presence would be nearly undetectable by anything short of an expert aurist. The dark night had finally eclipsed and the memory would slip away into darkness forever, closed to the light like Nightshade to the sun. That was, unless a very opportunistic thief chose to expose the stolen piece of evidence, along with a very dangerous testimony.
Echelon
Pew~Pew!!

Words: 238180
Joined roleplay: March 9th, 2012, 5:21 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook

Nightshade

Postby Anselm on September 15th, 2012, 3:36 am

OOC :
Hey guys! You aren't really going to let the undead guy be the only one who gets off with any loot, are you?
Anselm
Being dead ain't so bad

Words: 203207
Joined roleplay: February 9th, 2012, 3:56 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Nightshade

Postby Echelon on October 14th, 2012, 8:16 pm

Adventurer's Loot

A Gift
Experience is its own reward.
Leigo's Loot :
Leigo Abranox

Skill XP Reward
Perception +1XP

Lore:
Weighing The Facts Fearing The Factors
Secret: Zeltivan Nightshade

Items or Consequences:
-12gm 8sm
Illness: Started with congestion in lungs, then a slight fever of the head, along with general aches in major muscle groups. This stage grows progressively worse for no less then sixty days, fluctuating from a mere annoyance to near delirium (Trente's condition.) At the end of this stage the body finally mounts it's final attack against the illness, severe coughing and restriction of breath, accompanied by nothing less than a coma. The state can last anywhere from one day to one week, and if you wish one could enter and leave unconscious state for some time following the first episode. With constant medical attention the condition should be little more than an expensive annoyance, without the skies the limit on how detrimental this illness can become. For those of you who are Traveling during this time, fear not. You can push yourself on despite the illness. Hadrian's employers will pay for every cent of the rehabilitation, and for those of you who put special attention in fall season to highlight the extremes of the illness, you may even take an extra 50gm as a minor compensation (and stay quiet) incentive from myself and Hadrian's employers. (But make sure the thread is well thought out)

Notes: Too bad you couldn't stick it out a bit more.

Anselm 's Loot :
Anselm

Skill XP Reward
Subterfuge +1XP
Stealth +1XP
Projection +2XP

Lore:
Dressing For the Occasion
Prepared Infiltration
Witnessing Political Suicide

Items or Consequences:
A Lengthy Scroll of artifacts, varying in strength and type. Both the only surviving proof of the gathering, and the only known compilation of the auctioned items, as well as an incomplete description of their uses. Including all triggers, and activation rites.
The Illness will not restrict Anselm's breath, nor send him into a coma. However, slowly the illness will strive to survive in his cold body. As a perk he will warm slightly to the touch, creepy. As a drawback over the next sixty to a hundred days Anselm's borrowed body shall decay at an advanced rate, and will significantly decrease the time in which he may remain in this body. Most of the damage will be internal, eating away at throat and lungs. (Impeding speech)

Notes: Thanks for holding in there through the whole long process. Our old Nuit's presence sure helped round out the feel of the scene. So happy he made it.

Hadrian's Loot :
Hadrian Aelius

Skill XP Reward
Intimidation +1XP
Economics +1XP

Lore:
Ever Increasing Interest In Herbalism
Steadfast Leadership
Nightshade: Orchestrator
Temperance For Power
Considering Limitations
Unshrouded In Darkness
Invaluable Intuition

Items or Consequences:
Hadrian's higher ups will be impressed that no overt violence was encountered. He passes his test. However, the loss of the scroll will keep them up for many sleepless nights, worrying that word may get out. Some less politically minded individuals even suspect that Hadrian himself has kept the scroll, encase he wishes to blackmail in the future.
Illness: Started with congestion in lungs, then a slight fever of the head, along with general aches in major muscle groups. This stage grows progressively worse for no less then sixty days, fluctuating from a mere annoyance to near delirium (Trente's condition.) At the end of this stage the body finally mounts it's final attack against the illness, severe coughing and restriction of breath, accompanied by nothing less than a coma. The state can last anywhere from one day to one week, and if you wish one could enter and leave unconscious state for some time following the first episode. With constant medical attention the condition should be little more than an expensive annoyance, without the skies the limit on how detrimental this illness can become. For those of you who are Traveling during this time, fear not. You can push yourself on despite the illness. Hadrian's employers will pay for every cent of the rehabilitation, and for those of you who put special attention in fall season to highlight the extremes of the illness, you may even take an extra 50gm as a minor compensation (and stay quiet) incentive from myself and Hadrian's employers. (But make sure the thread is well thought out)

Notes: This scene may have seemed uneventful, but reading over it again it reads beautifully. The suspense and smooth rolling darkness could have have been accomplished without Hadrian's, and our preparations. Thanks for working with me on this.

Wrenmae's Loot :
Wrenmae Sek
"Shroud"

Skill XP Reward
Intimidation +1XP
Observation +1XP
Logic +1XP

Lore:
Conditional Loyalty
Putting A Paranoid Mind To Good Use
Patience: Virtue of The Effective Villain

Items or Consequences:
+500gm

Notes: Looking forward to continuing this.

Faval's Loot :
Faval Verbeugen

Skill XP Reward
Logic +1XP

Lore:
Strong Moral Compass
Measuring Cause And Effect
Zeltiva: Building A Reliable Reputation
Guarding: Come Prepared
Loyalty To The Contract

Items or Consequences:
+500gm

Notes: Short and sweet involvement. I appreciated seeing him struggle with the moral implications of the scene.

Lucas' Loot :
Lucas Arias

Skill XP Reward
Observation +1XP

Lore:
Guard: Dressing The Part
Untempted By Magics
Aware Of The World Beyond Commoners

Items or Consequences:
+500gm

Notes: Cute as always, Lucas. His noble heart was a great offset to the rest of the characters we saw here.

Nia'shee's Loot :
Nia'shee

Skill XP Reward
Flux +1XP
Body Building +1XP

Lore:
High Strung
Flux: A Little For Grace
Dressed The Part And Armed To The Teeth
Trustworthy Courier

Items or Consequences:
-7gm -2sm
+500gm

Notes: She done her job well. I hope she'll get to work with Hadrian again soon.

(It may not have been explosive, or grinded out heaps of XP. But this scene has an undeniable feel to it, and most of you synced to the feel perfectly. I'm very happy with how this thread turned out.) - if you have ANY questions or concerns about this grading, please PM me.
Echelon
Pew~Pew!!

Words: 238180
Joined roleplay: March 9th, 2012, 5:21 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook

Previous