Closed Starry Eyed (Traverse)

[Fire & Ice Jewelers] A jewelcrafter's job inquiry.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Home of the Konti people, this ivory city is built of native konti stone half in and half out of the sea. Its borders touch the Silverwood, and stretch upwards towards Silver Lake, home of the infamous konti vision water. [Lore]

Starry Eyed (Traverse)

Postby Naeya on September 27th, 2012, 9:08 pm

Timestamp: Season of Fall, 32nd Day, 512 AV

Yesterday hadn't quite gone as planned.

After leaving the Taviasa with the intent of going straight to the Fire and Ice Jewelers, Naeya ended up becoming completely sidetracked. She hadn't managed to make it home until much later, and by then it was too late to track down Kaytil. Today, however, she was back on track and currently outside of her desired locale.

Before stepping through the shop's entrance, a burst of colour caught Naeya's eye. She was immediately drawn over to the front window. Though the evening sun glinted teasingly off the window panes, it did not much faze her and she simply shielded her eyes before stepping even closer. She couldn't help but be caught up in the breath-taking collection of gemstones and jewellery that were displayed in the shop's front windows. While the items didn't seem to have a shared theme, each piece easily held its own.

Look, some agate! Is that coral? There, a moonstone!

What struck Naeya most, however, was the staggering abundance of pearls. She had never before seen so many pearls of varying shapes, colours, and sizes all in one place. While Riverfall had more than its fair share of beautiful gemstones (which she thanked Semele for every day), the city was lacking in this Konti specialty.

It truly took all of her willpower to keep from pressing her nose against the glass like a small, awestruck child.

After spending a few moments trying to work out whether or not she could afford a bracelet of pearls, Naeya reluctantly remembered her mission and tore herself away from the window. If she was offered a job here like she wanted, she would be able to see this jewelry every day. She would hopefully also be able to learn how to make these gorgeous creations for herself.

Brilliant.

Naeya pulled off the hood of her white cotton cloak and pushed open the shop's heavy front door. She took several steps inside, and peered curiously around the room.

"Hello? Kaytil?"
Last edited by Naeya on January 30th, 2013, 4:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Naeya
And yes I said yes I will Yes.

Words: 214237
Joined roleplay: June 25th, 2012, 3:25 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Character (1) Lore Author (1)

Starry Eyed (Cachet)

Postby Cachet on November 16th, 2012, 2:34 pm

Kaytil took great pried in how she laid out her shop and wares. It was something she did in her free time to calm her mind and sooth her soul. It was good for her to organize all her things around the shop. She had viewing shelves of all kinds scattered about and some of her more ornate pieces were in front of her behind glass to keep them safe. Not from people stealing them, but from little hands reaching up and grabbing them. These were works of art that took hear days and nights of nearly sleepless crafting to make. And she wasn’t going to let them get damaged by curious little hands.

She smiled as she saw one of her sisters enter the storefront. It had been a long day and now it was nearing an end. Which was nice; she had been working hard. “Yes sister how can I help you tonight?” She said moving from behind the desk with a smile.

Adorned on her body was a long white dress with turquoise accents all about it. A standard Konti dress likely purchased from Waterfall Fabrics. Kaytil was a well respected Konti, humble and eccentric at times but well versed in her craft.

“So you wish to claim your piece in my shop…I’ll sell it to you…if you can find it.” She sported a playful challenging smile as she looked to her isle sister. Was she serious? None would quite know but it was rumored everyone had a piece of jewelry waiting for them here if they had ever visited the isle. It was like a historical museum of sorts. One could guess who each piece was for and try and imagine the individual that it was meant for. Much more interesting than looking through a book or arrivals in the port.

Listen to the island
The waves and wind
That is the pulse
Note it, feel it
And become one with serenity

Cachet
The Murian Beach Bum (6zillion)

Words: 144588
Joined roleplay: August 21st, 2011, 3:01 am
Race: Staff account
Office

Starry Eyed (Cachet)

Postby Naeya on November 30th, 2012, 11:19 pm

Naeya's eyes widened as she took in the myriad of intricate jewelry that decorated the storefront. It was nothing less than what she had expected from the shop's exterior. Still, a thrill at the novelty of seeing the work of an unfamiliar jewelcrafter zipped pleasantly down her spine. She ached to examine the craftsmanship up close, but, for now at least, Kaytil demanded her attention. She would, hopefully, have all the time in the world to investigate the konti's skill after their conversation.

"Oh, goddess. That's not exactly why I've come," she responded, tilting her head curiously. She was trying to hold back her curiousity and stay focused on her original intention, but the konti's words intrigued her. What does she mean by "claim my piece"? Naeya hadn't ordered a piece of jewelry, nor had she hear the Isle's rumours. She made a quick mental note to either question Kaytil later, or to pester the Pearl Diver's Inn triplets about the puzzling phrase. For now, she would concentrate on her primary goal.

"My name is Naeya. I've just recently arrived in Mura, and I was directed to your shop by the Taviasa to discuss the possibility of employment." She offered the konti a friendly smile, and hoped she was coming off as professional. Perhaps she'd better give Kaytil a reason to employ her, too. "Back in Riverfall, my home, I worked as an apprentice to a well-respected jewelcrafter. I'm not sure if you've heard of him - Jacinkto Valereig? I was trained in the art of gemcrafting by him for a number of years."

She paused, considering her next choice of words. "I would very much love to work with you. Your pieces are beautiful," at this, she gestured expressively at the shelves around her, "And I would be honoured to have the opportunity to assist such a famed jeweller as yourself."

At this, Naeya looked hopefully at the konti. "Would you be interested in the extra help?"
Naeya

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Starry Eyed (Cachet)

Postby Traverse on December 19th, 2012, 7:32 pm

oocHello Naeya!
I will be taking over this thread in lieu of Cachet's Reitrement. I apologize profusely for your wait on this thread. Let's see about getting you a job shall we?

Kaytil mused over Naeya's inquiry for a moment. Truth be told she was always in need of a helping hand around the shop, work had a tendency to pile up upon itself and she had a habit of focusing intensely on one piece and occasionally forgetting about others. She smiled wanly at Naeya, eyes lighting up at the mention of a familiar name. Her voice was soft and soothing when lush lips parted, giving Naeya no cause to worry as she spoke, and her eyes seemed to run the length of her body as if trying to assess something very important.

"Valereig? I am familiar with his work, a fine craftsman. I too studied gem crafting in Riverfall in my time outside of Mura, an excellent place to learn."

She closed her eyes for a moment at the compliment.

"Thank you, Naeya, I am always happy when my work can be admired, especially by a fellow maker who understands the time that goes into them. now tell me..."

She gestured for Naeya to take a seat, leading her behind the front counter where two cloth covered stools sat. A magnifying glass was present underneath which was a deep purple stone almost blue that Kaytil must have been appraising before her entrance. After Naeya had sat the Jeweler followed suite, crossing one leg over the other.

"To ask me for a job, you must fancy yourself a bit of skill with jewelry and its make. Truth be told I could certainly use the help, but first tell me some of the things you have made, what you are able to do, and do not spare any details."

The slender Konti glanced for a moment towards the door, checking to make sure there were no more prospective customers, and then her eyes were upon Naeya, clearly interested in what this prospective assistant had to say.
Traverse
Journey to your limits

Words: 1283282
Joined roleplay: December 18th, 2012, 4:16 pm
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Starry Eyed (Traverse)

Postby Naeya on January 30th, 2013, 4:09 am

OOC :
Thank you so much for taking over this thread, Traverse! I can't express how much I appreciate it. And thank you as well for your patience with me! You're a gem (hehe).

Naeya nodded graciously in response to the kind words that Kaytil directed towards Riverfall and her former mentor. Her light footsteps then followed the older konti behind the front counter, and she settled herself onto one of the cloth-covered stools. She tried to smooth her nerves in the moments before the other jewelcrafter sat and began to speak. It seemed she actually had a real chance to work with Kaytil, and she was desperate not to blow it. Deep breaths. Her palms had begun to perspire from the anticipation, and she subtly wiped them against the cloak that covered her legs.

"I do like to think I have some skill," she replied, smiling in agreement. The silver bracelets around her right wrist jingled as she reached up to brush a strand of hair out of her eyes. "When it comes to gemology, I can recognize all common gemstones and a number of the more uncommon gems. I know how to determine gem hardness and can do basic appraisal, and I'm able to use a lapidary to cut and polish gemstones."

Naeya cleared her throat. When she began to speak again, her hands began to gesticulate for emphasis."I know a bit of geology and metalsmithing to aid my jewelcrafting, and I am quite adept at creating simple jewelry. I can mold gold, silver, and copper into basic shapes, bands, and chains. I am able to drill holes in beads and add them to a basic necklace chain, and I know how to set a gemstone on a piece of jewelry. When I left Valreig, I was working on advancing my technique; I hope to continue this advancement here, if you'll have me."

She paused and smiled at Kaytil, hoping to gauge the konti's level of interest in a glance. "I created a medley of jewelry during my apprenticeship in Riverfall," Naeya continued. "One of the pieces I'm proud of is a gold cuff bracelet I created for a wealthy akalak to gift to his lover. It was a delicate piece, framed with thick gold. Individual strands of gold made up the remainder of the cuff." Her eyes lit up at the memory, and her gaze turned distant with thought. "I'm also proud of the lovely set of earrings I crafted for a traveller who wanted something to remind her of Riverfall. They were gold, dangling and delicate, with two aquamarine gemstones inset - one above the other, connected by a single gold link.

"Most recently, I've become very interested in recycling and repurposing discarded items like pieces of glass, metal, ribbon, and shell. I've fallen in love with mixing the new and the old, and creating pieces that have a very distinctive personality."

Her hand went to the jade necklace around her neck, and she twisted it carefully around her fingers. It had been given to her mother by her father as a sign of their love, and her parents had passed it down to her when she made the decision to leave home for Mura. "When you wear it," her mother had said, "our love will always be with you." Naeya knew as well as anyone that jewelry had personality.
Naeya

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Starry Eyed (Traverse)

Postby Traverse on January 30th, 2013, 4:48 pm

Kaytil nodded here and there, but was utterly silent and focused upon the Konti as she explained her skill and work. When Naeya's eyes lit up at her creation's, so too did the expert Jewel crafter's. It was always such a pleasure to see a passionate young woman trying to make her way in the world, even if it was something Kaytil witnessed on a daily basis.

She gave a couple murmurs of approval as Naeya described the pieces she had made, wishing she herself could see the work, but there was always time for that. Once it was clear the Konti was finished, Kaytil gave a clap of approval and leapt up with some excitement. "It sounds like you have really found your calling, my dear."

The spritely woman walked to the front of the store, locked the door and put up a piece of paper into the window reading 'Out to Lunch, be back before you know it!' There would be no interruptions for this next and oh so important part of the process, of that Kaytil would be sure. "Follow me." She parted a thick velvety curtain the shimmering color of peacock feathers and disappeared behind it into the back room. It was a much smaller space, but extremely organized, with shelves and containers lining the walls, all clearly marked with their contents: Wire, tools, metal ores ready to be melted down and a bow of smoothed, polished, and cut gemstones, as well as newly arrived pearls and stones still in need of work. Beyond that room was the work space jewel crafters dreamt of. Large and open in order not to crowd the worker with a massive table made of some solid slab of stone. A few works in progress lay upon it, but the majority of the surface was free and clear. Beneath it lay any and every tool sectioned into separate drawers depending on function. Behind it in one corner of the room were two forges, one significantly smaller than the other for intimate singular pieces. It was clear the littler was by far the more used of the devices. Sporadically placed in the remainder of the space were anvils, grinding blocks, and other tools used to cut and fashion the works of art on display.

Kaytil swept back into the previous room for a tick to return with two small bars of gold and a single gleaming white pearl, medium large with the faintest facets of pink gleaming on it's shining surface. She placed the objects down upon the table. "To complete your interview I would love to see how you work. To see the scope of your skills how about..." She thought for a moment then smiled "How about you make a ring with the pearl set into it, and a small chain as well? The bars there should be of ample size for the job, and any tools or supplies you need will be either under the table or in the first room."

The Konti gestured one hand meaningfully towards the space on the table, then took a few steps back against the smooth wall to watch the prospective employee work, eager to see the Konti in action.
Traverse
Journey to your limits

Words: 1283282
Joined roleplay: December 18th, 2012, 4:16 pm
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)