On Auristics and the Flux

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Postby Crypt on November 2nd, 2012, 11:29 pm

1. How is one initiated into Auristics? I'm sure it isn't something like concentrating Djed into your eyes, and bam, you're initiated.

2. Can the Flux only be used for speeding up and strengthening the body, or can it also be used to enhance the five senses and to attain a greater measure of control over one's body (i.e. Slowing heartbeat, waking up at any time they desire, restraining reflex actions but not Morphing)?

I think that's all for now. Thanks!

Done by the one and only Assilsa Curare!

8200th member. :)

NOTE: I will be on holiday from the 9th to the 25th, so don't expect me to post anything! Apologies.
Crypt
Apophenia.

Words: 329416
Joined roleplay: September 20th, 2012, 4:58 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Vick on November 2nd, 2012, 11:58 pm

1 - I always thought it would be like learning Voiding. Focus on nothing or either focus on a person until you see past them.

2- Flux always seems like a surge of power. So for that I only see Master rank or Expert rank really pulling off the slowing heartbeat type thing but as for waking up I don't see working out due to you still need to have focus over the djed unless its back firing for some reason.

Hope this helps.
Credit goes to Ferrin Al'Mandrikan
Vick
Master Maledictor

Words: 355163
Joined roleplay: September 27th, 2010, 11:44 pm
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1)

Postby Crypt on November 3rd, 2012, 12:13 am

Thanks! But you haven't really answered my question: can the Flux be used to enhance the five senses?

NOTE: I will be on holiday from the 9th to the 25th, so don't expect me to post anything! Apologies.
Crypt
Apophenia.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Grasis Deviil on November 3rd, 2012, 12:17 am

This allows him to concentrate his strength, speed and toughness in a smaller portion of the body, becoming more effective in armed and especially unarmed combat, and other physical tasks.

i'd assume no crypt, since there's a gnosis for increasing senses and where would you be taking the djed for the increased senses from? it's not as if you have extra eyesight stored in your foot
Grasis Deviil
Player

Words: 22191
Joined roleplay: October 29th, 2012, 3:11 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Crypt on November 3rd, 2012, 12:25 am

Ah, I see. Thanks :)

However, considering that one can concentrate Djed from eg. his feet into his arms to strengthen his arms, it would be reasonable to say that if enhancing the senses were possible, one can certainly redirect some of the Djed from his feet into his eyes, for example. Anyway,thanks again for helping me out.

Crypt
Apophenia.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Vaewe on November 3rd, 2012, 12:27 am

The Auristics article talks about initiation. It says it is done by constant mediation for a period and then the ability is sort of unlocked. Which makes sense since it says that the skill can be learned from books.

Flux is redirecting djed flow, so you might be able to direct the djed away from your heart. But I think you would also probably die. It doesn't seem to me like it gives you more control over you body, in fact, it seemed like opposite, you're pushing your body out of balance and too the brink. To be able to do so and survive requires a lot of self control, but that is the counter to the magic, not a benefit of it.

Of course, I'm not a magic expert so these answers might be wrong.

This PC is deaf, he can lip-read a little in Common and Konti, but don't count on that being reliable.

Though he cannot hear your voice he has a konti gift that allows him to sense the quality and tone of the spoken word. If you want input into how Vaewe perceives your PC's voice make a little OOC note describing what it sounds like the first time they speak. Or write if out in your post.[/center]
Vaewe
Always bewtifuwl.

Words: 23513
Joined roleplay: October 4th, 2012, 12:43 am
Race: Akvatari
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Crypt on November 3rd, 2012, 12:37 am

Knowledge of the human body would be a huge bonus. Djed can be redirected away from the heart's muscles to slow down their rate of contraction such that the heart rate slows down. Of course, I agree with you in that it would take a great deal of control.

Crypt
Apophenia.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Clyde Sullins on November 3rd, 2012, 1:14 am

Oh my God, I don't know why but I thought that was hilarious Grasis... "it's not as if you have extra eyesight stored in your foot" You really just made me smile, at how simple a statement that was, and how true. Love it.

Any who, now on to being serious, and actually answering your questions.

1- Really, this is a really vague bit Crpyt, and unlike many things like morphing or reimancy, its initiation is not explicitly stated. Which really means, it is within reason whatever you want it to be. As long as you either have a teacher who knows the skill and can show you, or have a book from which to learn it, and your way is reasonable, go for it.

So it can be done many ways, such as meditating and expanding your awareness, focusing on a rock until you finally see its aura... Or maybe even how I did it in this thread. Or whatever is reasonable that you want to do. Within reason.

2- The flux at lower levels is only used to increase speed, toughness, or strength in the body, which is really helpful in combat.

Though bear in mind it puts a lot of strain on your body. Try to put to much strength into a limb, and you might just overexert it and snap your limb in half. Or blow it off, if a chunk of djed gets caught and builds up. And if you go to far, and lose control of your djed, pushing and overgiving to the extreme, you might blow your entire body apart, or pulp it as holes are blasted open from pent up djed trying to escape. Nasty, so best to be done with caution.

Flux- lore
The telltale sign is a painful, electric-like spasm coursing through the limbs at random. These lumps of uncontrollable energy travel all over the body, dealing damage from the inside whenever they burst or spike. The wizard is torn apart by his own life force, which breaks flesh and bone alike. Limbs pop out of their joints, at times even the eyes are ejected from their sockets.

-Now, if you are thinking of extending your 5 senses, you are better spent using auristics, not flux. Auristics can be used as an extension of your 5 senses, along with other things, allowing you to see and touch things by looking at its aura, without physically doing so, or even with your eyes closed. So really that cannot be done with Flux, but it can be with auristics. You might want to reread the auristics lore, under the part about "Things that auras can tell". So dont try flowing djed to your eyeballs, unless you consider enhancing your senses blowing your eyeballs out of there sockets.

-And that last bit, about slowing your heartbeat, and such things, while possible, are only possible for MASTER fluxers. Look at the list of things that masters can do.

-Flux- lore
Again, the body is naturally fine-tuned to react in certain ways that are usually the most convenient, and overriding its workings should be done with great caution. Sometimes the Flux user seeks to take energy away rather than accumulate it: some masters were known to fall into self-induced comatose states, in which they could rest at a faster rate, by making energy flow out of their brain.

A master is a formidable machine that is only limited by his own body. Djed travels almost instantaneously and at will across his body, allowing devastating (if dangerous) discharges. He has mastered control over his internal organs and even bloodflow. His touch can cause alteration or disruption of another creature's own Djed Flux.

So a master fluxer could do those things, but try doing them at lower levels, and you will just end up stopping your heart, and killing yourself.
Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Graders note: :
Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Words: 2343955
Joined roleplay: June 18th, 2011, 1:14 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Crypt on November 3rd, 2012, 1:32 am

I did say that it required quite a bit of control to accomplish such things, right? So your last few paragraphs was totally unnecessary. Anyway, that comprehensive explanation is just what I needed, so thanks!

The lore article wasn't really clear, so thanks again for making it simple enough for me to read. I suppose that at Master level Auristics, one would be able to achieve some sort of partial localised omniscience, where one would be able to know almost everything within a certain range?

Crypt
Apophenia.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)