Completed Going Down A New Path

[Maria Satterthwite Memorial Cemetary] Ricky finally visits an old friend that he hasn't seen in a while, finally facing reality and accepting the truth behind it.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Going Down A New Path

Postby Ricky Maze on December 17th, 2012, 8:37 am

Going Down A New Path
Part 3.1 of The Part Of Moving On
Winter 42, 512 AV; 12 Bell

In dark times we find ourselves lost, a shadow of our former selves. A piece of something we once were, left to put ourselves back to the way we were; yet unable to finish the job as we remain incomplete. It is from then on we seek answers, we find new things that will fill these holes. Just so we can put back together our broken life...

Ricky stood arm's crossed and hand's tucked away on this cold silent day, not even the birds or other animals seem to be busy here at the memorial. It was here Ricky stood before a grave with no real tombstone but instead a cutlass, the same cutlass that he had received during that cursed night. Yet Ricky was no longer angry about it, not when anger was now becoming pointless as well. Taking off the dog collar he wrapped around it's handle, Ricky looked to it with memorable earnest. Longing that he still had a way to bring Odis back, if there had been a way then he would've done it. He would give his life to see his faithful companion once more, to be with him again for one more day and play along with his energetic run-about's he had. Yet there was no point in dwelling on it anymore, Odis was gone for good and Ricky would forever miss him.

Taking the worn Zeltivan rope that once served it's purpose as the dog collar Ricky pocketed the item with thoughts on what his dog would be doing know in his after life. "Hey, boy... Sorry I haven't been around much. Been busy dealin with... issues." He admitted to the to the rocks that covered the buried dirt, the feelings of that day still fresh in his head like it was only yesterday. The coming together of friends to wish a dear companion fairwell was indeed a touching one for Ricky, it really had meant more then the world that they were all there in his hour of need. Yet he did a stupid stupid thing. He shut them out, shut everybody out just to keep from appearing weak. What was left of his pride got the best of him, and that alone made him defer to standing alone. The idea that others would feel sorry for him made him hurt, why should others feel pity for his life situations?

"How ye been boy, enjoyin yer journey? I hope it's been good, I've missed ya greatly...obviously." He knelt down next to Odis' grave with a deeply occupied thought. "Ye were an important brother ya know, and ye shouldn't 'ave done what ye did... Ya shoulda let me took the blow, I coulda lived from it ya know...." He sighed before continuing onward.

"What I wouldn't give to change that night, just that moment really...but ye were just protectin me, so I can understand..." He stood up once more, a wind picked up and carressed his face. He wasn't sure if it was the weather or if it was a sign, but he felt that his dog was at least listening. Or so he he hoped. "I've been givin a chance boy, to become somebody again. Course I was a better person with ye around, but I'm learnin of a way to get a move on." He confirmed to the grave after closing his eyes and taking in the chilly breeze that had blown in. "Pretty soon Zeltiva won't be dealin with them vermin anymore, and ye can rest in knowing I'm keepin her safe." He reassured the grave as if Odis may had conversed back. Ricky thought that Odis would probably be cocking his head to the side out of curiosity, like he always did before when Ricky seemed to be acting odd or weird. It was weird now just thinkin about it, Ricky talking to a grave amd acting like it talked back. Yet to him nothing seemed weird anymore.

Taking in the silence Ricky held his tongue and closed his eyes, focusing his mind on the grave and praying deep in his heart.
Last edited by Ricky Maze on February 8th, 2013, 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Journal - Plotnotes - Announcement!
Scrapbook - Shop (Closed)- Vlogs
Credit goes to Fallon for allowing me to temper with her codings! :)
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Words: 2035002
Joined roleplay: March 30th, 2011, 9:02 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Going Down A New Path

Postby Arianthe Swansong on December 17th, 2012, 11:38 am

Arianthe had not been to the graveyard in a while. Perhaps it was because she felt that visiting the dead often would be holding her back from moving on with her life and perhaps it was due to the lack of time she had to make the walk to the cemetery and sit by the graves. Anyway, she did not see why she was not able to sit and mourn at home, within her room in the University.
It was not that she did not like the cemetery - quite the opposite since she felt that it was rather a place of celebration of life, quiet and peaceful, rather than the manifestation of death. She smiled, crossing to find the large family tomb near the back. Fortunately, her husband's grave was nowhere near that place so she did not have to endure the chillness and fear that gripped her, even when his name was the only thing present.
When Arianthe came to the tomb, she sat down on a stone bench near it and, although she must have read it dozens of times, re-read the inscriptions. It was not really a grave. After all, when her great, great, great grandfather had had it made for the family, he had been a very rich man and it was made to fit three dozen people at least in coffins, plus a vast quantity of Urns; he had even had the remains of his Father and Mother dug up and placed in little boxes in the ground within the tomb. It was circular with a 9ft radius, like an igloo, but with higher walls; higher, circular stone walls crowned by a gilded stone dome. Around the outside were a number of plaques built into the wall, some inscribed with things, some not. After looking back at the plaques commemorating a century of Uncles, Aunts, Great Aunts and Great Uncles, Cousins, Grandparents… all gathered together in one place, the newer ones in dark coffins, the elder ones buried into the ground or in urns, she came to the plaque for her parents and two little sisters.

"In memory of Rufus-Alexander Swansong, Winter 24th 460 - Spring 1st 512
His Wife Arabella Lucretia Swansong nee Rauchenberg, Spring 61st 472 – Summer 4th 504
Amelia Carmelite Swansong, Autumn 19th 496 – Summer 4th 504
Anastasia Ottoline Swansong, Summer 11th 498 – Summer 4th 504

I am not afraid of tomorrow, For I have seen yesterday and loved today.
May the Gods have mercy on their Souls.”

Of course, there was no inscription for either Valiant or Dorian – they had never been proved dead, rather they had simply vanished and never come back from a trip to the other side of the Suvan Sea.

Beauty, Truth and Love will prevail, if only we stayed still and happy long enough to let them...
Arianthe Swansong
Maybe one day...

Words: 98235
Joined roleplay: September 28th, 2012, 8:40 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

Going Down A New Path

Postby Ricky Maze on December 18th, 2012, 4:28 am

He took in deep breathes and allowed them out slowly, the cold chill in the air bringing a different type of awareness to his mind. It was refreshing actually since he could feel his thoughts register it, better then being drunk like he always was during the first half of the season. He had went through a crisis where he denied even the incident, slowly coming to a point where he soon hated even himself for all the things that went wrong. Then Ricky came to the umderstanding that he was only putting himself down more, only making himself seem more of a disappointed failure in his life. Where was now though was indeed a good question. Where as he would find himself willing to trade anything, practically give, to have his friend back; of course that sort of thing was nigh impossible and this he did indeed know. Once someone important in your life is gone they're bound to never return.

The road Ricky was traveling down was unpredictable now, his lifelong dream never again to be the same anymore. Instead he would have to carry on without that one important piece of the puzzle, and it would indeed remained unfinished forever had he not opened his eyes to reality. History is written in stone, there was no way you could change it. The future, however bland or blurry it may be, was still something waiting to happen. Ricky had indeed wasted precious time wallowing in his grief, and let it slip between his fingers. It was like trying to hold water, slippery as it runs free out of your grasp. Yet no more would he allow himself to sink, or lose himself to the overwhelming heartache in knowing Odis wouldn't be around. He would become someone again even if it meant searching, and he won't stop until he found himself once more. Odis was indeed the key piece of Ricky's life, but that didn't mean Ricky couldn't keep kt together on his own.

No. Not when there was a chance to set things right, to make a change happen for once and do some good for the city. With that his mind was set, finally opening to look down at his friend once more. "I'll set things straight again boy, just ye wait and see. After all, it's my duty now that I'm a guard." He assured to the grave once more, kneeling down again to touch the rocks. He recalled the feel of his furry companion, the lush coat Odis soft and slightly waxy. Ricky wiped his eyes with his thumb, keeping the tears from showing once more. He was getting better at keeping his composure again, though it still provided a great challenge to hide away. "Take care boy, I'll come visit again soon." He confirmed to the mound of rocks and dirt, patting it as he stood back up to finally leave. Yet something caught his eye, another who was here in the graveyard. It surprised him at first, but it was nothing to bring up any worry. She was a petite lass with blonde hair as wavy as the sea, her skin was pale like the moon with more tone in it's color. She looked to be a fine young lady at that, yet why she was here was an easy guess really. One that Ricky felt was a reason she shouldn't be here for. Content with his parting from his friend he thought it best to leave, but seeing her here he thought maybe she shouldn't be alone. Though most people rather be alone when visiting loved ones they lost it still helped to make them feel better, knowing that they aren't the only ones that haven't suffered a tragic loss in this world. That probably the only good ironic thing about death, where as we're driven apart by loss it connects others together.

When he would approach the lass he would do so respectful and quiet like, still containing the emotions within him from earlier. He would speak rather low to avoid startling her and disturbing the peace, after all it was important to respect the dead's sleep. "Ye lost someone too eh?" He would asked rather humble this time, finally finding some hint of originality in his voice.
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Going Down A New Path

Postby Arianthe Swansong on December 18th, 2012, 12:49 pm

Arianthe had been sitting by the plaque, not really saying anything, rather thinking about the possibility of maybe having the names of her brothers added to the plaque, though that would be admitting that she had given up hope that they would ever come back alive, but she also supposed that it would be a testimony to the fact they ever lived - and it was very possible she would never get any closure on this so perhaps it was better that she end this herself.

It was in the middle of this, that she heard a voice. She looked up with a small smile and turned around to look at the man standing near her. It took her a moment to register what he had said.

"Indeed." Arianthe said congenially in response to his question, "Though I must admit that I have lost rather more than one person." she turned back to the stone plaque, "Perhaps it is for the best. Dira knows better than I."

She turned back to look at the tall figure. Perhaps he wanted to talk about his loss for, she knew from experience, and perhaps contrary to expectation, that talking about things helped put them to rest rather than awaking painful memories... at least most of the time.

"Are you here to see anyone in particular?"
Or do you just like graveyards, though Arianthe. She knew people who did.

Beauty, Truth and Love will prevail, if only we stayed still and happy long enough to let them...
Arianthe Swansong
Maybe one day...

Character sheet

Going Down A New Path

Postby Ricky Maze on December 19th, 2012, 4:55 am

"Are you here to see anyone in particular?" The lady asked with gentle words, to Ricky she was that of a fair maiden really. Her beauty brought out by the scenery made her so, but there was something more to her. Something that just seem to say history really. She no doubt has dealt in many hardships in her lifetime, for she had a strong air about her. When she asked Ricky this he kept a small smile to give a friendly appeal, his heart still weighed heavily from the visit with his departed.

"Aye, I did already. Just now actually." He admitted to her while looking at the ground before his feet. He did not wish to appear emotional in front of the lass, not when they had just met at least. It was important to his pride that he at least looked the strong type, after the whole period he felt weaker then a child. She may not have beenthe type to judge such characteristics, but Ricky still wasn't comfortable letting his guard down these days. Ideas of pity were ones he disdained, and he did what he could to let them become real. "What bout ye lass, come to honor the memory of a loved one?"

It was an obvious question, unless she was here for the peace and quiet. Nevertheless it was his way to communicate back, after all he was getting out of practice now; since he had withdrawn from people so much.
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Going Down A New Path

Postby Arianthe Swansong on December 19th, 2012, 7:52 pm

Arianthe smiled, looking and listening to the man but, rather more, feeling for an aura. With satisfaction, with her minimal skills, she was able to pull out the colours around him. They were rather interesting, and in doing so, made her more interested in their possessor's presence in the graveyard. A dark black fog seemed to cloud most of his emotions, lines of cool blue streaming through it. It saddened Arianthe slightly to see him so low, but there was a light ray of yellow or white shining in the background and it relieved her slightly. Maybe it was a sign that he was growing accustomed to his lost or accepting or... she knew not what else, but realised that even if it was acceptance, it was a loss that would lay low on him for a long time. Turning away in order to let the auras fade since auristics always tired her, she almost missed his query. Turning back to look at him with a smiling, he replied to his question quietly, simultaneously standing up.

"Yes. Loved ones. My Ancestors, my grandparents, my mother, my father, my sisters and..." she shook her head lightly. No - there was no proof of the demise of either Dorian or Valiant and though she thought deep down that it was naively optimistic to believe otherwise, she would not admit it to a practical stranger, instead of what she had been about to say, she laughed slightly, "It seems the gods have an unnatural hatred of our family. It is really rather worrying." She paused, "Or maybe they love us too much and cannot bear to be without us by their side. For it seems we were not destined to live a fruitful and plentiful life." She indicated the plaque.

Arianthe had said the last bit completely in jest and hoped he would take it as such, but there was an element of her which wondered about the truth in it. It was an endorsement of her vanity, and it was probably both pretentious and foolish, but there was a part of her that liked to see itself as a young, lonely, beautiful figure destined for tragedy. How she wished she could rid herself of such silly thoughts. As she kept reminding herself, she should not seek to throw her life away or ruin it and it was not glamorous to do either.

She turned her attention back to Ricky.

"The laws of decent society suggest that I should introduce myself," she said with a smile and slightly raised eyebrows, "And unfortunately, I am too much of a conformist to do without. My name is Arianthe Swansong."

Arianthe Swansong
Maybe one day...

Character sheet

Going Down A New Path

Postby Ricky Maze on December 20th, 2012, 1:17 am

Ricky wondered about her momentary pause when she seemed occupied with something, her thoughts no doubt or so he figured. When she had replied though he only nodded to show he was listening, taking her words to heart as he wondered if such tragedy really was a part of her life. It was indeed clear that she had suffered a great deal in her past, that which she was here now was proof she was a strong one.

"The laws of decent society suggest that I should introduce myself, and unfortunately, I am too much of a conformist to do without. My name is Arianthe Swansong." She spoke with a smile when she made her introduction, and Ricky couldn't help but actually smile in return.

"Names Ricky Maze, Arianthe, but you can call me Ricky or Rick." He returned his name to her with a slight bow, a respectful gesture a proper gentleman should follow to any lady. When he straightened up his smile was a faint one again. "Forgive me, it's been a long winter for me." He no doubt had at least aroused some curiosity in her, plus allowing himself to openly share such troubles with strangers seem to be the effective way to go. If he truly was to keep moving forward of course, things were easier to share with people you don't know. Why was just a good of a question for Ricky, but he felt it was a great way to start.

"I came home with a friend of mine last season expecting to have a house, when there was nothing left of it ye see. It wasn't but a few days later he was taken from me as well." He confided with some peace in mind this time, rather then the previous times he tried to find the will to say the fact. It was a better way for him to begin things, to turn everything around and see to it that he become better. That was his new path he had to follow, and if he couldn't do it then he was truly lost. He allowed Arianthe to speak in turn, remembering that such a practice was still kept in check when conversing.
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Going Down A New Path

Postby Arianthe Swansong on December 20th, 2012, 11:44 am

Arianthe smiled, "It is a pleasure to meet you Ricky." It felt strange to address somebody by their given name, for she had been raised to behave very formally around everyone apart from her close relatives and intimate friends, but she knew that he would have probably felt slightly awkward if she had insisted on call him Mister Maze, or something of the like. She was not sure why he asked her to forgive him because, from what she could see, he had not done anything improper. Indeed, he even bowed to her, proof that his manners were most cordial.

She nodded sympathetically at his account of what happened, "It must make the loss seem even worse when one does not have any material goods or somewhere to call home, for then it makes it more difficult to mourn as one should and find comfort in one's surroundings." His loss had been rather recent too. She now understood why she thought his aura was so dark with it. Maybe he wanted to talk about it, then again he might think she was prying. Ah well, she would have a go anyway, "What was this person like?"

Arianthe Swansong
Maybe one day...

Character sheet

Going Down A New Path

Postby Ricky Maze on December 21st, 2012, 9:14 am

"It must make the loss seem even worse one does not have any material goods or somewhere to call home, for then it makes it more difficult mourn as one should and find comfort in one's surroundings." Arianthe spoke with a gentle voice.

"Aye." Ricky slowly nodded in agreement, the burden of having no real place to call your own anymore. That made it tougher for him, but even so he was become tougher in his own way.

"What was this person like?" She had asked even though she may have guessed it a touchy subject, Ricky didn't mind giving an answer for her though. It would be honorable upon Odis' memory, that and it would help Ricky find peace in knowing the dog lived well.

"He was the only brother I had really..." He smiled but there was a sign of longing still in his face, a wish to be with such a close companion once more. "Although he be a stray dog he chose me as his master, and I'm more proud than ever to know that now.... Helped me learn and love, and had an adventure of a lifetime together." He wasn't looking to Arianthe when this happened, but no doubt she could see the one tear that had manage to escape from him. He hadn't recognized it's presence as it trailed down his cheek, but when he looked to her once more there was something else there among the blend of feelings. Content.

He was unable to do anything for Odis, this he knew and faced with courage. Yet the reality he knew was ever so cold and lonely, a world with no love and little life. When he looked to her he had a new perspective growing inside of him, one that would be crafted to shape and reflect his personality...should the incoming days prove to be better.

"I can say this for sure, Odis was the best damn dog on the face of Mizahar." He confirmed to her with a gentle nod, somewhere down deep inside he felt a change was coming. Things could indeed start to look up for this broken fisherman.
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Going Down A New Path

Postby Arianthe Swansong on December 21st, 2012, 6:41 pm

When she was younger, Arianthe might have been amused or cynical about the fact the man showed such great grief, for a pet, a dog. As a child, Arianthe hated dogs after she had been bitten by one which she had tried to pet aged six, after having been rather too fond of animals. Now, however, she was full of sympathy for Ricky and was touched that he felt able to speak to her about it... she also could see that, for him, he had lost much more than an animal companion.

There was no hint of unkindness about him and was moved further to see what she suspected were tears in his eyes. It made her feel almost heartless in comparison, for she never cried anymore, she had not cried in a while, even here looking at the gravestone of her family. She smiled at Ricky, encouraging him to continue if he wished or indicating her support if he did not.

"He sounds very special. How long did you have him for?"

Arianthe Swansong
Maybe one day...

Character sheet

Next