[Featured thread] [Winter Council Meeting] Riverfall's Elders Meet

Here's your chance to get business done, speak to the leadership of Riverfall, or ask boons of the government. If you want to just come and listen, that's great as well.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

[Winter Council Meeting] Riverfall's Elders Meet

Postby Gossamer on January 15th, 2013, 7:08 pm

Timestamp: 70th Of Winter

The Council was late meeting this year because the city had a multitude of micro disasters to deal with. Still cleaning up from the Djed Storm of Spring 512, the Counil Chamber itself had to be prepared. Secondly the budget had to be compromised because so much of the repairs to not only the port but to private residences had cost a fortune. Stone masons and reimancers were employed at the city's expense and it was said that Nivar himself had to dip deeply into his own personal pockets to see most of Riverfall set to right. Not that the Akalak minded. He knew his duty and sometimes that duty resulted in sacrifices both of time and money.

And so the Council met, discussing old business first, hearing out the state of repairs which were almost complete, and dealing with the two sentient ships that were now permanent structures bout out at sea and within the sea of grass. One was being remodeled as a Lighthouse made of wood. Another was being set up as a tower of sorts, a gateway sentient guardian of the gateway to Riverfall on the shores of the Bluevein.

The Bone dog issue was discussed as well as the fate of the summoner, who being male and human was of course executed for his stupidity. It was decided his wife and daughter would enter Nakivak status - all but a death sentence as well - in order to pay off their family's debt to those that had suffered under the ill fated summonings. It was briefly discussed to outlaw Summoning within the city gates but it was shot down by mages that pointed out its benefits. A motion was passed to catch another Symenestra pair for the menagerie since the old set had been killed during the storm. Several Akalaks in the audience volunteered to go do the deed deciding scouting north and south would likely gain them something. The snarlwing issues were discussed as well and it was decided little could be done about the menace as a menagerie technician claimed they were being driven towards the coast because their inland food sources had been devastated by the Djed Storm. He claimed that as soon as the Sea of Grass recovered more fully the snarlwing issue would sort itself out.

To that end the Council decided to increase their production of goats and sheep for food and outlaw hunting of deer and other Sea of Grass creatures around Riverfall for a period of one year to help the populations recover that hadn't fared well during the djed storm.

It was decided that parts of the Kuvay'Nas would be expanded into Game Wardens that would be paid during their duties (for the added danger of being outside the city walls) to keep this law enforced. There were automatic price fixings on the cost of sheep and goat meat as well as poultry and pig within the city so as to not cause an undue strain on the economy while this was going on.

Then finally when old business was done, new business was concluded, the Elders opened the floor to anyone who wanted to speak. Citizens stepped forward, brought their petitions to bear, and the Council started giving out business permits, dealt with two Nakivak disputes, siezed one business who was using Council Funds in a manner the council did not approve of, and one man was sentenced to Cerulean Status on the spot by Nivar Chivan who admitted to child endangerment and abuse in the near death of his son due to the man's rage. The case was brought forth by the man's Konti wife who held the toddler in her arms who had suffered. Healers testified as well and the matter was quickly dealt with. A divorce was granted both in the eyes of the Council and in Cheva's mind and the man was lead off for tattooing.

Finally the stage was set for new people to walk forward. A clerk zipped around the room and took people's names who wanted to speak. All they had to do was raise a hand and he'd take down their information and call them to the speaker's booth to address the Council when it was their turn.

ooc: If you want to speak, raise your hand, rp the clerk coming over and taking your name, then one at a time come forward and state your case or petition or information.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Leo Varniak on January 27th, 2013, 12:25 am

How charming. They'd been talking about him the entire time, without even knowing. Leo Zaital leaned back against the seat he'd picked in one of the back rows and gave a slow sigh. Never one for long, bureaucratic meetings, he was even less excited about long, bureaucratic meetings in which people were cleaning after him. His love Eosi sat next to him - they'd arrived shortly before the start of the Council session to keep as low a profile as possible. Her presence was both a source of comfort and one of worry to the Azenth. He'd certainly be able to make a far more convincing case with her in the audience, yet he worried that she might do something rash in the event of things not going as planned. He'd have to hope this wouldn't be the case, however the constant stream of bad news stemming from the Storm throughout the meeting had been eating away at his confidence in that regard.

Something else worried him, as well. The agenda for the day had shown him just how small and local items of business the Council was occupying its time with. These men literally took care of their own little backyard; would they rise to the challenge of a global, worldwide problem or would they deem it to be someone else's task that did not concern them in the least? Was this leadership inspired enough to see past the damage of the Storm? It always came down to the beautiful ideas, so far away, versus the ugly facts, right here and now. Justice looming on the horizon like a rainbow, and your dead sheep stinking up the place. Good and righteousness were always on the other side of a wall of coins. For a moment it all seemed hopeless to the champion.

Then he prayed in silence, eyes shut, the words in his mind drowning the monotone discussion about repairs and hunting and the everyday administration of Akalak justice. He prayed the lord of fire that he make his tongue like flames, so that it may burn hearts. That he give weight to his words, so that they may move hearts. That he make his spirit glow, so that their hearts would see it and gather around. Prayer was a comfort he had only recently discovered, and it never failed to reassure him through adversity. By the time he was done praying, a member of the staff was already collecting the names of those who wished to speak before the Council. He raised his hand and provided his name for the records. "Leo Zaital."

It wasn't long before the clerk beckoned him to the speaker's booth for his speech. Leo squeezed Eosi's hand and exchanged a meaningful look before standing up. "Wish me luck," he whispered, turning one last time and then striding towards the booth. He was decked out in the priestly outfit he had bought from Rosela at the Red Diamond. Made of this mysterious fabric called velveteen, it was a rich, dark crimson in color, and fitting loosely around the sleeves. It was very rare to see Leo sporting any sort of color on his, so this must be quite the occasion. The Azenth took his place in the booth and, just like that, his carefully prepared speech went to pieces. Discarding everything he'd come up with in advance, he simply tapped into the depths of his soul, just as surprised at the outcome as his audience.

"Greetings, Excellencies," his voice rose solemn. He looked at the Councillors in the eyes, one after another. The mark of Ssena granted his normally unremarkable build a certain strength of presence one could not readily explain. "My name is Leo Zaital, and I come bearing news and a proposal for the city of Riverfall. Before I begin, please be assured I can back up all my statements with solid proof. This I have to make clear in advance, for what I am about to relate will, at times, stretch into the unbelievable." He never lacked respect to the Akalak, but he did not bow to them, either. He felt confident, but not arrogant; a spokesman, not a mouthpiece.

He continued after a brief pause; his tutor back in the day had always stressed the importance of silence in speech. "I possess first-hand knowledge of the so-called Djed Storm of 512, the very event the aftermath of which you have been discussing at length today. I am one of a handful of mortals who know how it came to be. I was there when it happened. In an indirect fashion, I caused it." He paused again, wondering if he'd be met with shock or simply laughter. "What you call the Djed Storm was actually the release of an immense amount of pent-up energy. It radiated with incredible power from a singular point in the depths of Mount Skyinarta, in Kalea, disseminating Wild Djed across the continent. The event that caused such a release was the liberation of the fire god, Ivak."

Leo placed both hands against the booth and continued, his speech picking up intensity. "Ivak walks amongst us once more. While it is tragic that his restoration should happen in such a way, the release did not depend on him but rather on the design of his prison. Ivak himself is no longer a danger to the world, but rather a gift of warmth and passion. I am the man who liberated him, unsealing the door of his cage at the culmination of a quest spanning years... no, centuries. I come to you today in his name, as his divine representative. I have been bestowed the honor of being his champion. I walk with him and he walks with me."

He licked his lips and continued. "I wish for the truth to be known at last. Ivak's rage through the Valterrian was not of his own making. Rather, it was the meddling of the chaos master, Rhysol, that poisoned his feelings. Rhysol has made his bid to conquer the world and turn it into his playground of horrors. He very nearly managed to. With Sylir dead and Ivak imprisoned, he has stood unopposed for five centuries. Ivak is back and there is a new Sylir in the world, born from the ashes of his father during the Djed Storm. Other gods have risen also. Akvin, who rules over creativity. Xhyvas, he of transcendence. And Ssena, bride of Rhysol, mistress of fear. Such is the extent of the events I have unleashed."

He was gripping the wood so tight, his knuckles had turned livid, but he didn't care. "Excellencies, I have sworn to bring the news to every city and settlement in the world. Once, before the great cataclysm, Ivak was loved by the world as much as he loved it and the people in it. I am here to reforge the old covenant with the flame. For too long have the Azenth had to live in the dark while evil basks in the sunlight. Of course, I realize there have been uncountable losses here, and those do not even begin to compare to the damage elsewhere in the world. No matter how good my intentions, the end result was terrifying." They were approaching the crux of the problem. "Still, if you must blame someone, let that be me rather than Ivak. I cannot offer you my life, because it is no longer mine to give and I cannot let my journey end here. However, I will not go until I have helped this city move on. I would ask that anyone who has a grievance with me, any who have lost their loves ones to the storm and would take revenge on me... anyone who wishes to confront me be allowed a chance to do so. One or one hundred, it makes no difference to me. Ivak's blessing will help them move on, and if any of them still wished to duel me, I will oblige them even though it will mean their deaths. Either way I will not stop until Riverfall, down to the last person, has made peace with the fire."

He gave a deep sigh. "Thank you."

Leo Varniak
It was a pleasure to burn

Words: 426121
Joined roleplay: May 30th, 2009, 7:23 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) Trailblazer (2)
Donor (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Riaris Dovukalis on January 27th, 2013, 6:16 pm

"Proof? I'd like to see this proof that you speak of."

A deep voice boomed from the seats furthest to the back. Shimmering crystals of pale cerulean peered out. A mess of jet black hair hung loose from his crown and casting a soft shadow upon his royal features. The Akalak rose to his feet and lifted his arm to wave off the member of the staff approaching him. "Riaris Dovukalis of the Kuvay'Nas." He hadn't intended to speak at the hearing and had only come to listen in, but after listening to what the man had to say, he felt that he had to speak up. He wasn't certain if he wanted to believe what he had just said, but there was something in his eyes, in his tone that sounded genuine.

"You have said a lot here today, and I am not sure if I believe it, so where is the proof that you claim that you can back up? You see...I am not convinced if you are telling the truth or a raving madman." He paused for a moment, his lips spreading as if to smile before his features harden. "If you are telling the truth then let me say this..You are a foolish man Leo Zaital if you think that you can walk into the Council Chamber, say what you just said, and claiming to be the reason for that horrific storm and then walk out as if nothing has happened."

Riaris turned and moved through the rows of seats until he found the walkway and stepped out. He took a quick look around to see if anyone else was going to speak up before he moved closer to the front. He stared a hard glare at the man standing behind the booth taking in his form and the fancy clothing that he worse. The whole thing was rather curious and Riaris wondered exactly where the man was going with it all. "Do you really have so little respect for Riverfall, the council, and the Akalak? Do you take us to be fools?"

Riairs stifled a chuckle as he turned away and glanced at each council member to see their reaction to what was being said on both ends. "Do you hear him, this..zealot? He wants us to believe that he is responsible for the storm, for the devastation that it caused, and he wants us to make peace with him and his fire God? And if we don't, if we harbor ill feelings, he threatens to take our lives? "

He turned from the council then, giving a quick glare towards those seated and turning back to face the man he first spoke to. "If what you say here is true, then you have a lot to answer for Leo Zaital, of that I can assure you. So what say you champion? Is there any reason that we should believe you, or should we simply deal with you here and now?"

The more you try to silence me, the more I'm gaining ground.
Riaris Dovukalis
Prediction?......Pain

Words: 299930
Joined roleplay: November 25th, 2012, 6:39 am
Race: Akalak
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (2)

Postby Rosela on January 28th, 2013, 9:38 pm

Rosela had decided to attend the Council meeting in a whim, solidified when she’d found out Leo was going to speak there. The chairs around her were empty, save for an elderly Konti woman a few seats to her right, who did not acknowledge her. She caught the eye of a fantastically built Akalak who came in just before things started, and he started to head her way as she smirked. Unfortunately, he was waylaid by a friend and reluctantly took a seat on the other side of the aisle. Rosela saw him start to look up at her, when she shifted to lean forward on her arm, putting a few old men’s heads in his line of sight to her. She wanted a man she could whisper to while things were going on, not someone to just make eyes at the whole time.

She saw quite a few familiar faces in the chamber, and more than a few wearing her fashions. She saw Taskel, her city guard flame, standing near the front, though his attention was firmly focused on the proceedings and he didn’t notice her. Morlavik, her real estate sweetheart, was on the other end of the chamber, and she gave a coy, discreet wave when he noticed her with a start of surprise. He inclined his head towards her, smiling, before refocusing on the proceedings.

She almost didn’t notice when Leo’s turn came up, she was so bored by the procedures. The chairs to her left had remained empty, and the human man five seats down had yet to even turn her way. She knew Leo’s shirt though, and she recognized it even before she did him. The velveteen really did shine wonderfully in the light.

His words, however, were deeply unsettling. Now she knew why he’d warned her of the gamble of him wearing her designs. She felt a twinge of irritation that he hadn’t mentioned he was more than a mere priest; he was the petching champion. Her expression hardened further at the mention of ‘new gods’, and she brought a hand to her mouth. New gods? People who became gods? She nibbled a thumbnail thoughtfully as a gnawing need to know curled in her gut. Did he know them personally? Did he see it happen? How did one even achieve such a thing?

She was not so much interested in the whole self-sacrifice bid he made, as she hadn’t lost anyone in the storm, only seen the strangeness it brought to Riverfall and the Sea of Grass. Someone did, however, and she twisted around in her seat to another yummy Akalak putting up a challenge from the back. It was all so exciting, like a dramatic play unfolding around her. Keeping her eyes on the Akalak, she leaned over on one hand, two more playing absently with the shoulder hem of her shirt. There was no reason at all for her to intervene, and she was glad to have a front row seat.

Have a moment? Maybe drop by and leave a peer review?
Rosela
Bring me pretty things.

Words: 739794
Joined roleplay: August 24th, 2012, 7:54 pm
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 6
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Leo Varniak on February 1st, 2013, 10:01 pm

The first voice rising in the wake of Leo's speech did not belong to any of the Councillors. Maybe he should have expected it. These were elders, mature enough to give the matter ample consideration before speaking. The audience, on the other hand, was filled to the brim with younger, hot-blooded Akalak and it was only natural for one of them to be the most vocal in his dissent. So be it. This was actually milder than he'd anticipated, for the time being. Leo counted mentally as the Akalak warrior - Riaris Dovukalis - spoke. He sensed quite a few emotions radiating from his speech, but none more overpowering than pride. The pride of belonging to a city, to an ethnicity, to a specific path in life. More pride than outright hostility. He'd have to keep that in mind.

The champion turned to face the Akalak, tense but showing no fear. He'd never feel fear again; the accursed Ssena had made sure of that. It came in handy now, being able to think with a full measure of lucidity even when surrounded by a hostile audience. As the man approached, it became apparent just how enormous he was. While Leo was not short by human standards, Riaris towered a full foot above him and it was no exaggeration to say he weighed twice as much, all of that being muscle. Suddenly it didn't seem surprising that these giants harbored two souls inside of them - there was plenty of room to be found, after all. It annoyed Leo to have to turn his back on the Council, but the Akalak demanded a confrontation and by the gods, he was going to get one.

He gave a nod to acknowledge Riaris' presence and began addressing his points. "I think there are two separate points of contention here, master Dovukalis," he even found it in himself to offer the shadow of a smile. "First, whether I am a liar or not. Second, whether I am a madman or not. The first concern is easily disproven. It would be a very stupid liar who chose Riverfall as his venue. Each and every one of the Konti ladies in attendance - indeed, in the entire city - would be able to sense dishonesty a mile away." He spread his arms to include the Konti audience in his speech. "Every single mark of Avalis in this room is probably being aimed my way as we speak. I will gladly let any gnosis user scrutinize my words. Truth is on my side; I have nothing to fear. As for the second point..."

He let the sentence linger a second or two. He had the audience; he knew it. "... I am the proof, and you need no gnosis to see it." Leo began undoing his velveteen shirt, taking it off with slow, purposeful motions. He held it around his forearm and stood bare-chested in front of the Council and the entire audience, turning slowly so that everyone could get a full view of his body. He was on the wiry side, hardened by years of struggles but not heavily built in the way of the Akalak. He sported no fewer than four different marks on his body, all of them far too flawless and three-dimensional to be tattoos. One was located right above his heart, and shaped like an oak leaf. A stranger one made show of itself next to his navel, and looked like an arch: a single dot surrounded by an arc, like a ripple originating from the dot. Halfway between his neck and the right shoulder was a more unsettling mark. It looked like a primitive stick figure, a human rendered in four brutal strokes: one for the head and torso, one for the arms and two for the legs. To even gaze at that gnosis was unsettling: deep fears would resurface, unbidden, and beg the viewer to avert his or her eyes.

As for the mark on his back, it was literally enormous. The flames stretched all the way from side to side and from the neck to the lower back. Gnosis marks couldn't possibly get any bigger. The fire almost seemed to glow on his skin, emitting actual heat. "Excellencies, ladies, gentlemen... gathered here are many citizens with centuries of accumulated wisdom and scholars whose knowledge certainly surpasses my own. Has any of you ever witnessed such marks on a living man before? Akvin did not see it fit to mark me, and in that regard you will have to place your trust in me, but his name may ring a bell in the magically inclined, for he was one of the most famous mages in Syliras." He focused his attention on Riaris once more.

"Master Dovukalis, these are undoubtedly new gods and they marked me. Do you know what it takes for a mortal to ascend to godhood? Energy. An immense amount of divine energy. It stands to reason that they all ascended as part of the same event. Also, there hadn't been a champion of Ivak in centuries. What kind of deed would motivate the god of fire to mark a mortal in such a way, if not his liberation from imprisonment? So we have the opening of a divine cage in Wind Reach - for that is where Ivak was being kept. Ask your scholars if they know about the Inarta and the singular curse placed on their minds, preventing them from even committing Ivak's name to memory. That detail led us to the prison. I can provide names, dates, records. I am done keeping secrets. We freed Ivak on the first day of Spring... the anniversary of the Valterrian. And it was exactly the residual energies from the Valterrian that were unleashed in the form of a massive Djed Storm."

Leo's eyes wandered left and right for a few moments as he prepared to address the more insidious point Riaris had raised. He'd have to be very careful here. The Akalak who had spoken, and all of them by extension, took extreme pride in their status as warriors. To receive an offense and not being able to seek retribution would stink of weakness to them. The very implication of a threat in Leo's words sounded like a challenge to them. He was walking a very fine line here... a creature of pride himself, it would be all too easy to escalate the situation with veiled threats. Conversely, begging for understanding would only make him look weak and worthless in their eyes.

But, without taking into account his immediate survival, he couldn't lose Riverfall. This city could make or break Ivak's standing in the future world. From here he could build momentum and head into the Sea of Grass as a true champion, or as just another destroyer. His next words would likely decide which. He steeled himself and simply told him the truth. "Master Dovukalis, I perfectly understand the implications of my presence here. I had a choice between keeping to the shadows or stepping into the light. I chose the light. I can't undo what has been done, the deaths, the damage... I can tell you it was done for the sake of the world's future, I can tell you Mizahar is doomed without Ivak, but it's up to you to believe that or not. At the very least, I think you had the right to know the truth. I don't want a future built on lies and half-truths, even though it might be easier, more comfortable. Lies befit our enemies, not us. The very knowledge empowers us. Knowledge paves the way for understanding, and, in time, forgiveness."

Leo cleared his throat. "A part of you must be screaming 'an eye for an eye'. It's only natural. I lived by that law for a long time, myself. And all it does in the end is forge new links on a neverending chain - avengers of avengers of avengers. Today we have an opportunity to break that chain... to sit down and talk and focus on the true enemy of all that's alive in the world... Rhysol. While we stand divided, his power keeps growing. No city, no god, no army can defeat such an enemy alone. I come to you asking to understand. Asking to pour your anger on me if needbe, so we can move forward. I come to you offering Ivak's gift of release, the divine joy that ignites the heart. It is your right to refuse me, and it is my right to act in self-defense as you would if the roles were reversed - but in that case, we'll all have lost regardless of the outcome."

He knew he couldn't hold anyone's attention much longer and decided to bring the speech to a close. "Ivak mourns every single life that was lost because of him. Long after the world forgives him, he still won't forgive himself. He is not perfect, but he does his best with the tremendous power he has, and I'm proud to be his champion. His fire is meant to cleanse dark things, within us and without. I have pledged my life to him and those who accept him in spite of his past actions. If you choose to do so, then my life is also yours." Leo's throat was raw and parched by now. The very act of swallowing brought an intense feeling of soreness. He simply stood there, waiting for a reaction - any reaction - and idly considered the incredible ways Ivak had changed him over the past three years. If he had been able to grow this much, then there was hope for everyone after all.

Leo Varniak
It was a pleasure to burn

Words: 426121
Joined roleplay: May 30th, 2009, 7:23 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) Trailblazer (2)
Donor (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Razkar on February 2nd, 2013, 4:43 am

Razkar was never one to follow a flow of people by instinct, but that largely depended on what else he had to do that day. Back in Falyndar, there was always work to be done, and he followed his own path to do it. But this day in Riverfall, fresh back from his Zith hunt and standing outside the Kuvay'Nas Lodge, he found himself without much to do.

Return to Rattling Chains? Certainly, but his journey was not urgent. Haev Provedan was still maneuvering, a lengthy and tedious process that the Myrian sincerely hoped was as frustrating for the slaver as it was for him. But aside from that, he was free agent once again, so...

He saw a flood of Riverfall inhabitants walking and chattering, heading to a tall, domed building. A rare flash of curiosity peaked in Razkar. He had not visited much of the city's sights, it was true. The sparring school, the Blue Bull for information and training in brawling (if you could call getting knocked around by Kevlar "training"), a mage shop, a weaponsmith... but all of those were practical locations. This place looked... magisterial.

He shrugged broad shoulders under his cloak of scalps. Why not?

An hour later, the "why not" was answered with "because it's petching boring". Committees and proposals were brought forth and read out at length and debated and cross-examined and blah blah blah. But Razkar did hear some useful information. He'd apparently missed some sort of attack by summoned demons, which irked him... and the summoner was dead, so no chance for Round Two. Further irksome.

Oh, and a useful titbit about the outlawing of game hunting around Riverfall. That made him frown for a moment, and then he cracked a small smile. Around Riverfall? As you wish... but the Sea of Grass is not entirely around Riverfall. He would just have to go further away from the city for his meat from now on.

When the issue of a divorce came up, Razkar straightened up from his place in the gallery overlooking the Meeting Floor. Fascinating through it might be, he thought sarcastically, I have learned all I desire to.

He turned to leave and then a new voice joined them. A human. Curious. So the Myrian turned back around, ignoring the dirty looks and mutters from the assembled sea of humanity, Akalak and whatever else. He saw the young-looking human with flat black hair talking eloquently, frowned as he tried to follow his words.

Razkar leaned forward, bracing his forearms on the banister... and listened.

And listened.

And heard, but could not believe.

The Djed Storm was the raw power of Mizahar, or so he had believed. It still was, apparently, but that a mere mortal had unleashed it? He found it had to believe. Chaos and death and destruction on a scale not seen since the Valterrian, that even the wars before it had not matched... and all because one human could not resist his meddling.

Razkar was sure of that. Pretty words and tales of divine treachery did not gloss over the facts, even if one of those was that it had released an apparently-maligned god. He had meddled. Countless thousands had suffered for it.

His hands gripped his weapons without even being aware of it. Leo Zaital. He would remember that name, for Falyndar was not unmolested when the titanic storm of magic had swept across the world like a tidal wave over an island. But he controlled himself. This was not the time for rash action.

He listened. Learned things. Ivak. Rhysol. Sylir. Akvin. Xhyvas. Ssena.

Then a new voice spoke, booming over the mutters and whispers and frenzied conversation the human's words had conjured. A tall, striding Akalak cleared a path through the floor, and after a few moments squnting, Razkar's eyebrows shot up in surprise.

Riaris. What a small world...

He listened to the hot words of the male and couldn't help but agree with many of them. Blood demanded blood, and even when this Zaital tried to placate him with a similar expression - "an eye for an eye", if Razkar's Common was accurate - those words were still writ large in the Myrian's head. No act of charity or goodwill or altruism could atone for causing such tragedy. If they were in Falyndar, Razkar knew for a fact that the human would already be in a tiger pit...

... or would he...?

The Myrian settled a little deeper into his forearms, grow creased in concentration. Myri was a vengeful and warring goddess, but she did not get to be that way by strength alone. Cunning and strategy were as much bywords for her as brutality. A champion of any god was a powerful weapon, even against the divine beings of Mizahar. Should they waste such a weapon with an execution, however just it might be? Or should they use it to banish and negate this... Rhysol, God of Chaos?

But what is War if not Chaos A dark voice hissed into Razkar's ear, a voice he had heard since he first shed blood. The senseless slaughter and shedding of blood? The roar of battle, clash of steel and the joy of watching thousands upon thousands march and fight and die for the glory of Myri?

Slowly, the Myrian shook his head. "Senseless"? No. War was not senseless. War was a means to an end, the application of force and power. Wars won peace, if rulers were wise enough to maintain it. Without that belief, what would Razkar be but... a murderer?

He shuffled on his sore feet and banished such introspection from his mind. Razkar decided to wait and listen to what else was said. But the thought was clear in his mind now, pragmatic and cold-blooded as the Goddess-Queen herself.

Use the champion. Yoke his power into victory over a greater evil... and then when his purpose is fulfilled, take his head as payment for his crimes.
My Words | Your Words | Myrian | Fratavan | My Thoughts
Razkar has been cursed by Yahal, and as such finds little acceptance from others; they will instinctively view him as being deceptive and traitorous. However, when close to one blessed by Yahal, the effect is negated. The curse is etched onto his left pectoral, and viewing the mark causes others to feel dirty and unclean.
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Words: 2242619
Joined roleplay: October 8th, 2012, 12:04 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 9
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Riaris Dovukalis on February 2nd, 2013, 11:47 pm

Riaris listened to what the human had to say and considered his words wisely. It was true that only a fool would attempt to lie in a city where it was easier than not to detect a lie and draw it out. Still, as of yet the man hadn't proven that he wasn't that fool, leaving the question open for the time being. He was a sly one, and certainly wasn't shy with the crowd, even going as far as to placate the towering Akalak before him. As bold, and brash as the Akalak could be, Riaris was no fool. He was only interested in the truth of the matter, not the charisma or false humility that Leo showed.

He wanted to interrupt, but decided not to and to allow the man to speak his mind and explain himself. If he were lying, or some other mental illness had taken him and allowing him the illusion of some false truth, it would all be proven one way or the other. The human was a proud one, and showing no guilt or fear from what he had claimed to have done, or from the judgement from the Akalak which was sure to come. "If he is telling the truth..can you imagine?" A deep raspy voice boomed from within him. " Ssena, mistress of fear. I'd like to know more." Riaris could still hear Leo speaking even with Recoomas chiming in at the same time. "I will concern myself with the theory of new Gods when the time comes, but for now..I want to know more about this man and why is he is here."

The Akalak watched with an arched brow as the young man started to disrobe and baring his scrawny figure for all to see. But there was something to note, there were marking on his body. Flawless, three-dimensional marking in his skin and which Riaris knew to be gnosis. None of them looked like anything he had seen before but there was a godly flare to them much like that from the Gods of the Akalak. So for this he would stay his tongue for the time and allow the man to continue on as he attempted to prove his point and bring the non believers to his side.

Slowly, Riaris was being convinced that the man was telling the truth and that everything he had said, happened just as he claimed. But that didn't change the fact that he didn't trust him. His purpose in their city was still unbelievable. Why was it so important to him that Riverfall was on his side? What exactly was he planning, a war perhaps or something even bigger? Then he said, something that caused the young Akalak to tense up, and his features to grow stone cold. A moment ago he had even clinched his fist in preparation of slamming it into the man's jaw and now his fingers loosened and allowed the air to tickled the heat in his palms.

"An eye for an eye you say? Don't stand there and think that you, a stranger, a foreigner understand the ways of the Akalak." His paused for a tick, his features calming. "I have to ask...do you really believe that your single death would make up for all that you and your fire god have caused? Hubris does not befit you.." Riaris smiled as he turned his head back towards the rows of seats and to the one woman that Leo had arrived with. "And what of her? Is she a part of all this as well?"

He turned back to face Leo then, his pale eyes focused only on him. "We demand..action, champion, that is what Riverfall requires of you." Perhaps it had gone unnoticed to Leo, and the Council Chamber, and even the people sitting in the rows, but Riaris had listened very closely to what the man had said. "I want to see him..." he said bluntly. "You see Leo Zaital, we the Akalak, Rivefall..we talk to our Gods are they appear to us when we need them." Not the best truth in the world, the Gods only appeared when they felt to do so and to whom they wanted, but the Akalak wanted something. "So call your fire god champion, have him appear and speak to us here and now. "

The Akalak stood proudly, turning and allowing his gaze to take in the collected members of the council as well as the others in the room. "I assure you that Riverfall holds you and your fire god as equals from what you have done."

The more you try to silence me, the more I'm gaining ground.
Riaris Dovukalis
Prediction?......Pain

Words: 299930
Joined roleplay: November 25th, 2012, 6:39 am
Race: Akalak
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (2)

Postby Gossamer on February 3rd, 2013, 12:58 am

The Council up until that point had been silent. It was highly unusual, to say the least, for a Human to come before them with such claims and be asking the governing body of Riverfall and a good portion of its citizens for .... atonement? That was not exactly what Leo had been asking for, but the spirit of his request did not go unnoted by the members and indeed one by one people in the crowd stood up. It was a classic sign when someone in the audience wanted a chance to speak. They often rose in their seats and one by one they would all get a chance to speak. Sometimes they were given the podium, but often there was a second smaller space provided on the opposite side of the parishner's bench that would allow them to come forward and address someone who was also addressing the Council.

Riaris had taken the first spot and his demands were not so far fetched at first. How did they know Leo was telling the truth. Riaris wouldn't know but several of the Council bore marks of Tyvek and thus had access to Truthism. Lies did not go undetected in the Council. In fact, there had never been a Council since Riverfall's founding that didn't have Truthism at its disposal. But there were other things that Riverfall relied upon as well.

And two of those other things pushed open the Council doors and strode through surrounded by an honor guard of... Akalak women. It was rare, incredibly rare, for one of those who paced through the doorway to be seen before the setting of the sun. It was said that Syna leached Akajia's power. But that explained fully why her mate paced beside her, as strong as ever, and protective around her paced ten female Akalaks, one and all of them in various stages of pregnancy. Their conditions didn't seem to stop them. Once they'd been male and trained from birth to be warriors. Now that their djed storm exposure had altered their genetics, they were as fit as ever though longer of limb, tall, muscular, and incredibly beautiful.

Every head in the Council Chambers turned.

And even weakened as she was, the Goddess of Night was still a rare beauty with her deep blue skin and midnight black hair. Her arm was linked through Wysar's and together Riverfall's power couple put in a belated appearance.

"I knew you were trouble, Leo Varniak. From the moment I saw you, I knew you would do great and foolish things. Do you know... he once hurled a fireball at me?" She remarked to Wysar offhandedly. It was not an arrogant statement, but more reminiscent of a mother recounting the first time her infant son was relieved of a loaded diaper and hit the ceiling with a stream of urine. The Council Chambers erupted once more in sound causing Nivar to raise his voice to quiet the crowd.

Ajakia and Wysar took their places at empty chairs above and behind the Council. But they did so not without Wysar putting in a word as well. "Caution Riaris and Ricoomas. When a Champion comes before you humble and honest in his transgressions one does not demand he preform like a trick pony. For he is no trick pony. He is the mortal representation of Ivak. His very presence here means that Ivak himself stands here. Do not be fooled into thinking otherwise. Though half your size he holds within his hands the power to level this city with a thought. But by the very nature of the marks upon his back - the trust vested in him - he does not have the character to do so without just cause. See to it that he continues to not have just cause. Now... if you have anything further to ask him or ask OF him, please do so. If not, let the next person speak. He has come here to spread knowledge. Have the wisdom and dedication to let him go about his chosen task." The God said, his voice though soft carrying clearly throughout the Chambers.

Akajia smiled slowly, though her eyes locked on Leo's and pulled at his very soul. The Champion still kept secrets, but as she read the ones he held within his eyes, nothing was there she was looking for. And for a moment, just a moment, Leo could feel her fear. Not of him, not ever of that, but of not finding whatever it was she was looking for.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Tia'aria on February 3rd, 2013, 7:04 am

Tia'aria had heard enough and had finally stood, standing among the small group of Akalak she had surrounded herself with. She had listened this whole time, Dyson muttering in her ear, translating as close as he could while saving his breath, and respectfully remaining seated when the two beloved deities had come forth before she had finally wrung her hands over her dilemma enough and stood to speak, giving her name as Tia'aria Avalyn to the person waiting for takers for the next speaker and strode up to the podium before all in attendance to speak.

Nerves jittered her fingertips, brought on by her caution of making a fool of herself (she was still young, after all, especially for a Konti), and the realisation that she would have to speak entirely in Tukant to an audience that might prefer Common.

"I need someone to speak Common for me,", she addressed the Elders, and her gods, in a carefully even voice. She didn't ask Dyson, he had done enough. Someone was chosen, an Akalak at hand in the first row, who chose to stand beside the Konti and dwarf her. She swallowed, wet her lips, and then began in the flow of Tukant.

"My name is Tia'aria Avalyn, and it is you, Leo Zaital, that I wish to address." The Akalak began speaking when she paused, his voice positively booming around her and making hers seem warbling in comparison. "You tell me you freed Ivak, a god I share your affection with, and brought up several other gods I've never heard of before and gave us, the people of Mizahar, the storm that followed. This I believe. I do not know you, or the gods of which you have mentioned, but I do believe. I believe in the fire on your back and the words of my goddess reassure me."

"You took from me my sister, Leo Zaital. She was Akontak and might have had a full life, and all the love I could lavish upon her as my only sister. Extinguished in a moment once the storm swept over us, she will never come back, and I came here today for closure on her life and the year we, my family and I, have had in mourning for her. But I'm not angry. I understand that the gods work in mysterious ways and that Ora will come back one day, if she hasn't come back already. I want you to know, though, that I do forgive you for it."

The Konti took a deep breath to steady herself. She had begun to speak faster, hurrying to finish, but knew she needed to take her time. Tears pricked the corners of her eyes as she spoke of Tia'ora, her sister, but they weren't of anger. She was a level-headed Konti in some ways.

"I will never have my sister back, just as others will never have their brothers, sisters, mothers and fathers back. I love the Fire God, I have since I was still clutching at my mother's dress. I forgive him for my sister. I wish only to know of these other gods, these names I do not recognise. Ssena, Akvin, Xhyvas, and Sylir, you have said. Sylir has been said dead for a long time, I am glad he has come back. Tell us how, Champion of Ivak, and what we can do to make sure what has come to pass will not come again."

She looked around to gauge reactions, unable to read emotions as most of her sisters could, before looking to the champion again and smiling, warmly. "I, for one, am happy you have come, though bittersweet is our meeting like this. I have the closure I needed, and so will my mother once I see her again. Well met, Champion of Ivak." She paused again before repeating herself, in case Riaris, the somewhat angry Akalak, decided to batt down her words the next chance he got. "Tell us everything."

She bowed, first to him and then to Akajia and her mate and the council before practically fleeing the podium, her translator, and returning to her safe position at Dyson's side. The Akalak placed an arm across her shoulders in a protective embrace, and she felt better once she had gotten her awkward say out of the way.
Tia'aria
shut up + trust this.

Words: 60906
Joined roleplay: August 3rd, 2012, 7:27 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Rosela on February 3rd, 2013, 5:39 pm

Energy. ‘An immense amount of divine energy.’ Rosela’s mind was sent spinning, immediately wondering where one might find such energy. Not exactly down at the corner market, but it had to come from somewhere. She couldn’t go out and just find another god to free. Magic suddenly seemed like a very interesting subject to get into. She made a mental note to run down to the library as soon as possible.

Like many in the chamber, Rosela sat up and squinted at Leo as he took off his shirt, starting hard at what were clearly gnosis marks upon his body. She’d have to trust the fact that no one contradicted him when he claimed many where from new gods; she had a hard enough time identifying ones that actually looked familiar. It was all very exciting, at least until Riaris brought the chamber’s attention to who Leo had apparently come with – Eosi. Several puzzle pieces fell into place, and Eosi’s visit to the shop for the Festival of Love suddenly made much more sense. So Leo was her dear, sweet lover.

Riaris’ intent on bringing her to attention became very clear, Rosela’s shock turned to horror. The summoner who’d created the bone dogs disaster, his wife and child had been forced to become Nakivaks. What would they do to Eosi? A protest was nearly in her throat before she managed to stop herself. If she defended them, what did that make her? Would they punish her too for standing up for them? She just did business with them – she hadn’t done anything to cause the storm… Eosi was sweet and all, but did she merit sticking her own neck out?

While she was lost in thought, she was startled by the sudden opening of the chamber door. It was far too late into the meeting to be considered fashionable, and, like many in the room, Rosela half stood at her seat to get a good look at who had come in. It was a bunch of…Akontaks? But not… Had they dyed their hair? They looked like Akalaks, but female and bursting with child. Rosela and likely everyone in the room could feel the aura of transcendent power around the pair the women protected. Rosela was, for possibly the first time in her life, looking at gods.

After poor Riaris had been put in his place – and Rosela’s heart went out to him as she wanted to pet those big arms in comfort – someone else spoke out. A young Konti, in support of Leo. Rosela paid scant attention to her, and refocused on Akajia and Wysar. They made a beautiful pair, so dark and powerful, they seemed to draw in the light around them. Rosela suddenly wondered if they’d been mortal once. Had the grand pantheon of gods always been there, or had they all, at one time in the distant past, been made?

Eosi forgotten for the moment, Rosela found herself without any desire to speak up. So, so much might be learned now, in the next few minutes.

Have a moment? Maybe drop by and leave a peer review?
Rosela
Bring me pretty things.

Words: 739794
Joined roleplay: August 24th, 2012, 7:54 pm
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 6
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Next