Closed Within Temptation (Phoenix)

They said she was a lost cause, said she was better off dead, but is it possible that the rogue Avora could be saved?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The westernmost tip of Kalea, Wind Reach is home to an amazing group of people and their giant eagle mounts. [Lore]

Within Temptation (Phoenix)

Postby Phoenix on April 6th, 2013, 5:53 pm

“Alright!” This was Wyn, beaming as brightly as his sister as he moved around the backside of Aela and sliding up next to Sira for a better look at Aela’s face. It was true, her features had completely changed, the old Aela completely and utterly indistinguishable beneath this new face. But, there was more to it than just her physical features.

“Hey,” lowering his voice to a conspiratorial level as Kel drew Aela’s attention away from Sira by taking the mirror and spinning the newly reformed woman around, Wyn bent to whisper close to Sira’s ear. “We didn’t bring you in on this so you could spill the beans. In fact, you weren’t supposed to be here at all. I hope you realize how important it is that you keep your mouth shut, because I don’t think my sister and I are going to come and bail you out from whatever flies your way should you blab.”

The threat was left hanging for a few short ticks before Wyn spoke again, this time in a more normal tone; his quick shift in emotion was almost more unsettling than if he had left the silence to smother them for a bell or more. “Take a closer look at her though. Great work, right? Take a deep whiff.” Should Sira look at him quizzically or hesitate at all, the god would give her shoulder a small, insistant shove. “Go on. Smell her. Use your special nose.”

Meanwhile, Kel was standing in front of Aela with her hip cocked, a finger tapping at her lips while she tilted her head this way and that, admiring the young woman from every angle possible before she even said a word. By this time, Sira and Wyn’s conversation was over and the pair joined the two women once more. “I don’t think this looks right.” Kel’s voice was nearly a whine when she spoke, her eyes turning up to her brother as a small pout puckered her bottom lip. “I hate not getting it right the first time.”

A shrug and a roll of his eyes was the only response Wyn was inclined to give, his arms crossing over his chest and his shoulder tilting to lean against the cave wall; the picture of nonchalance and a rather lack of interest once he started examining his nails. Unperturbed by her brothers unwillingness to help, Kel turned back to Aela and beckoned her forward. “Come here. Lets make a few changes.”

Taking the girl by both of her shoulders, again, but instead of leading her anywhere Kel pressed firmly down. Aela would feel no pain or discomfort, but rather the strange sensation that she was melting as the cave walls rose higher above her, the goddess having to bend slightly to keep her palms firmly on Aela’s shoulders after a few ticks. “Ahh, perfect.”

Straightening, Kel let go of the girl and nodded in satisfaction. “The perfect height, now. Barely over 4’11”. You’ll fit right in with the rest of those tiny humans.” As she spoke, the goddess took to running her fingers through Aela’s hair, over her cheeks and nose and lips for a few ticks before stepping back with a sly little smile as she held up the mirror again. “Now take a look.”

And once more, Aela had changed. But this time it was to the Goddesses liking. Her hair was pin straight and short, not going past her ears in length, and a light blonde color with natural streaks of red throughout; the extreme end of strawberry blonde. Her fellow inarta would think nothing of the lightened hair, for she looked enough like one of them that it wouldn’t matter. Her facial features were delicate, and took on a younger appearance than previously, while the curves on the rest of her body suggested someone well on their way through puberty. Aela’s age hadn’t actually changed, but she now looked like someone trapped in her late teens.

Giving the girl only a moment or two with the mirror, Kel snatched it away and handed it off to Wyn, who replaced it back into his pack. The god looked to be getting impatient, and spoke up as soon as his sister stopped talking. “Yeah, yeah, gorgeous. Well, you’re welcome. You can go back home now, but you need to change your name and pretend that you don’t even know who Aela Calder is. Don’t do anything stupid again.” The pack was barely shouldered before Wyn was turning to leave. It was only his sisters sigh that gave him pause. “….What?”

“We haven’t shown her the best part!” Turning to Aela, she grasped the wrist that she held before, indicating that her brother should do the same. When both gods once again held her wrists in their hand, there was a sharp stinging sensation paired with a shock that ran down her arms. Loosening their grasp, Kel and Wyn stepped away and smiled. Where her skin was bare there was now two tattooed bracelets encircling her delicate wrist. Swirling, intricate lines wove between three, evenly spaced gem toned ovals on each arm, the shape reminiscent of the egg that Sira still clutched to her chest. “You may call on us six times. Each time a charge is used, you will know.”

Wyn re-shouldered his pack and Kel stooped to grasp her own before they both turned and left without another word, leaving Sira and Aela to examine the Gnosis left on both her wrists by themselves.

OOCThat’s all you need me for. I’ll recap and tally everything that changed about Aela and everything both of you received in the grading post. Feel free to post as much to this thread as you feel necessary ☺
Phoenix
The Capacity for Inspiration

Words: 782528
Joined roleplay: November 22nd, 2010, 3:54 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 5
Featured Contributor (1) Artist (1)
Advocate (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Trash Medal (1)

Postby Alori Sai on April 11th, 2013, 12:18 am

Aela was still in shock over the transformation and the full weight of it's meaning had yet to come to her. The teen stared hard into the mirror at her new look. It didn't seem like she was looking at her reflection, but into a window where a girl on the opposite side stood mimicking her every move. She stared into the hazel eyes in the mirror, there was a familiarity there and yet it seemed completely foreign. She continued to touch her face and the hair on her head, it was all real. Aela continued to look into the mirror, but ever so often she would glance away at the Goddess standing in front of her.

Slowly the truth of what was happening started to settle upon her, and while there was excitement there was also sadness. If this was to be her face from now on, then she would never see herself again, the real her. And all of this happening and she still didn't know why she was chosen. If they were right about her, if the whole of Wind Reach was right about the eagle killer then she had to wonder why she was being saved and at what cost would she have to bare in the process.

When the mirror was pulled away, the teen was left to stand there, nervously looking at the woman and wondering what was going through her mind. There had to be more to it, something more that she was missing. Finally the Goddess spoke as her twin and Sira rejoined them. This made her even more nervous and uneasy, being surrounded by three beings more powerful than she would likely ever be. Aela felt a skip in her heart when the woman said that something wasn't right, and she quickly started to look at herself to see what was off.

"What does she mean something is wrong, I don't get it?"

Before she could voice her concerns, the Goddess beckoned her forward and Aela did as she was told without hesitation. She watched very curiously as the Goddess touched her shoulder and with the pressure applied, she suddenly began to sink into the floor. She was speechless now and even more confused as the Goddess continued to toy with her as if she was a flecky doll of some kind. "What...is she doing?"

Once it was over and Aela was allowed to see herself again, the girl shrieked. She now looked in the mirror at a completely different face and one younger than what she had before. Her eyes widen and her mouth fell open a bit as she reached up to touch the hair above her ears. It was an extreme hair cut and one shorter than she had ever had before. However this time, the changes were final and what the teen saw in the mirror was the new her.

"This is incredible..."

It wasn't long before Aela was sent crashing back to the ground from her visual excitement. The God spoke and upon doing so the girl realized something that had somehow slipped her mind until now. She could go home, go back to Wind Reach. But that wasn't all, she learned that she would also have to change her name. Again there was excitement and there was sadness. Aela had been given a fresh start, and with that start she would have to deny who she was and everything that she had stood for, and deep inside that didn't feel right.

"I'll still be me won't I?...Won't I?"

More words for the Goddess were spoken, and the little Avora had no idea what to expect next. They took her arm again and she wondered if they were about to change her appearance a third time. This was different, and the strange tingle that she felt before was replaced with a sharp stinging in both of her arms. "Hah!" the girl squealed as she jumped in place. With her arms free, she lifted them and stared at the strange bracelets tattooed on them. They were unlike anything she had seen before, but for some reason it reminded her of the mark on her neck. "These marks...I know what this means.."

She looked up as they instructed her on the uses that she had and watched in silence as they left the cave. She felt odd, standing in the cave alone again with Sira who was still holding the egg. Was it really dead, she didn't know but she hoped that wasn't true. The girl took a few steps closer to Sira and reached out to touch the egg. It felt as it had the last time that she had touched it, as it had the first time when she took it. "Is it really ..dead?"

Alori Sai
Child of Ivak

Words: 442256
Joined roleplay: May 12th, 2012, 5:22 pm
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Sira on April 25th, 2013, 8:26 pm

Sira weathered it all in silence, watching and listening, nodding when necessary, but not commenting once until the deities were gone. She watched as Aela was changed into one woman, and then a completely different one. She watched as the gods imbued her with their gnosis mark. She had no idea who they were, or why they had chosen to save Aela. Sira wasn't entirely sure how to feel about it all. It meant that Aela could go home, which was what Sira had wanted.. but she wanted Aela to come home, not... whoever it was that was now standing before her. And was it right for her to bring the woman back? Sira didn't want Aela dead.. but did she want her back in Wind Reach? In the end it came down to the gods. As a Wind Eagle, Sira was a servant of the gods. And two gods had apparently chosen Aela... three if you counted Ivak. That had to say something. It had to mean she deserved a second chance.

Sira stared down at the egg, watching as Aela touched it. She could have sworn she felt a glimmer of life when she first entered the cave.. but perhaps even that was the tampering of the gods. She shook her head, her shoulders slumping.

"I don't know... but we are taking it back to Wind Reach. If it can be saved, the healers will do their best."

Sira's face hardened, her demeanor turning from sad and confused to serious and determined. If Aela was coming with her back to Wind Reach then they needed a plan. Aela needed a plan.

"You need to decide what you want to call yourself. We need to come up with a story.. maybe.. you were hunting Aela.. yourself.. and found the egg. You.. Aela, needs to be dead, that's why you didn't bring back the body. I found you on your way back to Wind Reach and flew you the rest of the way. We'll have to get my saddle. But you are dead. Aela is dead.. so, pick a new name. And you need to work on a story. Who are you, why doesn't anybody know you? Gods.. there is so much that could go wrong with this."

Nari | Common
Italics are Telepathic
Sira
Player

Words: 737381
Joined roleplay: July 4th, 2010, 3:42 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Overlored (1) Wind Reach Seasonal  Challenge (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Alori Sai on May 1st, 2013, 7:29 pm

Aela felt like a child, like a helpless, useless chick that was more trouble than it was worth. So much lost and pain, and all because of her ambition to rise above her caste. But it wasn't all lost, she thought, and if she could do good by the egg then perhaps there was something left to gain. It soon turned out that this was also wrong, and she had killed even that.

The teen stared down at her wrists, looking at the twirling rings around her tiny arms. They had said that she could call upon them six times. Six times they would show up and help her? Fix her messes, or..? Aela wondered if she could call them back and ask them to save the egg, but something told her not too. She would have liked to think that they would have done something already, however, as she knew..Gods were strange and it was hard to understand what they wanted..or expected.

But there wasn't time to dwell on it any longer, although she had been doing so for a while. But things weren't exactly right yet as Sira pointed out, Aela needed a plan. But the Wind Eagles suggestion was a harsh one. Claiming to have been hunting the egg thief seemed wrong, as if she had also turned against herself. The girl knew that she had done a very real crime, but she never thought that she deserved to die because of it. Even the thought of finding her dead body made the girl sick to her stomach.

"I don't know if I can say that Sira..."

She had hoped that things would be easier now that the God and Goddess had changed her, but it wasn't and the tiny Avora was becoming flustered again. Picking another name was easier, it was simple. There was a name that she had liked since her days as a yasi, and while she had thought that one day, she might name her child, it was now her own. "Alori...I've always liked that name. I'll call myself Alori." Now she needed a story, and Aela didn't know where to start. "A story? What do I say? Can't I just be another faceless Inartan cowering under the boots of the Endal?"

The moment that the words came out, she was already sorry that she said them. Glancing up, she found Sira's gaze and she could see the disappointment in her eyes. "I'm sorry..I didn't mean that. I just, I don't know what I'm doing."

Alori Sai
Child of Ivak

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Sira on May 1st, 2013, 7:47 pm

Sira frowned at the comment, but she otherwise ignored it. She knew how the lower castes felt about the Endal. She also knew how quickly most of them changed their mind the moment a wind eagle picked them. Sira had once been an avora, though it was only for a short time. Aidara had been an avora as well. Many endal were avora or chiet before their eagles chose them. It was only a lucky few who were picked at young ages. They knew, but they also knew how hard the life of an endal was also. For every night in the aerie, there was another night in the field under the stars where danger lurks at every corner. And in the winter the endal starved just like everyone else. It was hard to be mad at her own caste, but she could understand Aela's viewpoint as well.

"You can't just be another Inarta. The Valintar will wonder who you are, and why you aren't in his records. No.. you probably can't have even been born in Wind Reach."

Sira started to say more, but her words fell short. It was as if it all suddenly hit her, what she was asking Aela to do. She was not only going to have to give up her name, but she was going to have to give up everything that made her who she was. The only way to explain "Alori" to the Valintar would be to say that she was not from Wind Reach. She had to be born outside the city. On top of that.. she would have to give up all her friends, and start fresh. Nobody would know her, and if she ever let on who she really was, she would risk being discovered and punished.

"I'm sorry, Aela," Sira said with a sigh. "I know this must be hard.. but it's the only thing I can think to do. You.. you don't have to say you are dead. I.. I can say I found the egg, but that I couldn't find you. And then.. I can say that I saw.. new you walking and stopped to question you. And... yeah.. we'll make something up, I guess."

Nari | Common
Italics are Telepathic
Sira
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Alori Sai on May 1st, 2013, 10:17 pm

Once Aela was able to calm down and think straight, she realized that, although they really didn't know each other, Sira was being really kind to her and more understanding of her situation than anyone else likely were. It was a good lesson for the young Avora to learn that, besides all the braggarts, and selfish people that some where still good and cared about more than themselves. A flaw she was seeing now even more in herself. Sira was right, as she had been the while time about everything, Aela would have to not only be someone else, but from another place as well. The problem was that she had never been anywhere beyond where she stood now, it would be hard to convince others that she was from a place that she knew nothing about.

"You're right...petch!" she complained, slipping her fingers through her short hair. "I really petched this up..." she added, but not expecting an answer. A thought occurred to her then, and she had an idea. Aela remembered the traveler that she had met in the forest not long ago, a man named Murry who said he was from Avanthal. The teen had often wondered if the man had survived the trip back to the city, but she couldn't have followed him to make sure. "Hey..Sira. Do you know if a man was brought back to the city recently? He would have been dressed strangely, wounded?"

She held onto hope that he had made it there safely, but at the same time if he had died, she'd rather not hear about it. "Um..never-never mind that." she said quickly to change the subject. "What about Avanthal? Have you heard of that place...what it is like?" As the conversation continued, Aela realized that Sira was putting herself in a lot of danger by helping her. If she was somehow found out, then Sira would likely be punished too, or so she thought. The Endal were at the top of the mountain, but they had to answer to someone.

Perhaps they didn't.

Still, she knew that Sira was going out of her way to help her, and that she couldn't have expected the same from any other Wind Eagle. At the moment, she felt like reaching out and hugging Sira. The truth was, that for the time at least, Sira was the only friend that the teen had. The little huntress nodded her head towards Sira's advice. "I think they'll believe what you tell them and won't really ask questions. If you say that you found the egg, you can even tell them that you killed me if you want." she paused for a tick and forced a smile upon her lips. "Maybe they'll even give you something and make you a hero for it."

Alori Sai
Child of Ivak

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Sira on June 5th, 2013, 8:08 pm

Sira thought about it all. It was a lot more thinking than she preferred to do. She was a woman of action, and often did things without bothering to think about the consequences. But this involved somebody's life.. and her own, in fact. It needed to be thought about, and as Sira's mind worked, she came to a decision.

"No. I won't tell them you're dead. I'll say I found the egg, and the cave you were hiding in, but you weren't around. That way they'll still be looking for you, and wont pay any attention to a strange new Inarta who shows up in the city."

To Aela's question about the foreigner and Avanthal, Sira was not certain. She hadn't heard anything about any foreigner's, and knew little about Avanthal except that it was across the bay to the north, it was always cold, and sometimes they came to trade with Wind Reach. Beyond that.. well, she had probably slept through that class during her bendi tasks. Plus, Sira's education had mostly been situated around the things she was actually good at, seeing as she grew up very fast, and she didn't have time to learn all about the rest of the world and things of that nature.

"I don't know anything about any strangely dressed men.. and all I know about Avanthal is that its supposed to be really cold. ..but I think that's all most Inarta know, so you could probably even make things up and they'd believe you."

Nari | Common
Italics are Telepathic
Sira
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Alori Sai on June 17th, 2013, 2:47 am

Aela couldn't help but blush a little and her hazel eyes grew a bit wider. It didn't matter what they told the people back in the city, she knew that Sira had helped her, but hearing that she wouldn't take the glory for killing her made the teen feel better about it. Aela took a deep breath as she looked around at the cave, the place that had been her home every since the last summer.

She wished that it could all be a bad dream, and she could wake up and have her life back. But it wasn't possible and she was left to explore the new life that she was given, and where ever it would take her. "Okay, well...I guess that's it then. I don't have anything else here that I need really, just a few things." Aela turned away and went about packing up her belongings and placing them all into the tattered and worn backpack that she had. It had done it's job well, but she would be sure to get another once she made it back to the city.

The Avora was a bit sadden to hear that Sira didn't know about the man that she had tried to help, but she also knew that he could have been brought in and she just didn't know about it. Perhaps once she returned to the city she would seek him out, though not directly. With her new face, the man wouldn't have any idea of who she was, and she couldn't have any relation to the woman that he had met in the forest.

"I'll come up with something. It will be fine. They've gotten me this far, I think I can do the rest. So we can leave when you're ready."
OOCOkay I think that should do it, unless you wanted to add anything?
Alori Sai
Child of Ivak

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Harrier on September 17th, 2013, 1:11 am

Alori

Skills Amount
Observation 5
Wilderness Survival 2
Weapon (longbow) 1
Hunting 2
Rhetoric 5
Falconry 2
Weapon (Talon Sword) 5
Storytelling 1

Lore
Winter: Morwens Time quiets all
Frozen fingers make for poor shooting
Bravado before a former adversary
Ivak's Lesson: Wind Reach is still home
Hope for a future that couldn't be
Hiding the truth from Sira
Bad bread better than no bread
Sira knows; egg discovered
The egg is pure; it represents Change
Sira: It is not your egg
Wind Eagles Aren't Pets
Sira: She doesn't want me dead?
Sira takes the egg
Strangers in the camp
The Strangers are Kelwyn
The egg is a lost cause
Making a deal with a god
The power of Change
Aela is dead; I am Alori
Marked by the gods
You only get 6
Keeping a gods secret
Going home: making it up as I go

Bonus:

Gnosis: Hapchance (6)

Sira

Skills Amount
Observation 5
Tracking 2
Rhetoric 5
Weapon (Talon sword) 5
Storytelling 1

Lore
Tracking she who does not wish to be found
Showing Kindness to your Adversary
Aela: Not a lost cause, but can she be trusted?
Aela's cave is warm and safe
Aela's Lie: the egg is safe
The Egg is Pure; it must be saved
Aela: You can't even feed yourself
Wind Eagles Aren't Pets
Aela: The Wild Fighter
Forgiveness for the banished
Strangers in the camp
The power of the divine
The egg is a lost cause
Aela is dead; she is now Alori
Keeping a gods secret
Going home: Alori's story

Bonus:
Polished circular, metal mirror

Additional Comments: Wow, what an incredible thread, guys. I am very impressed by how this came out and getting to see what happened to Aela was really fascinating. I gave you both a point in storytelling for trying to come up with a story for who the new Aela is even if it's minimally discussed. Overall, really good job, both of you. Wyn forgot to take his mirror back, by the way. Now you have a pretty new god-gift, Sira.

(c) abstract
Harrier
Harrier than you

Words: 365904
Joined roleplay: June 25th, 2013, 9:07 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Journal

Previous