Closed Needs Must... (Rosela)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Needs Must... (Rosela)

Postby Razkar on March 3rd, 2013, 1:21 pm

1st Day of Spring, 513AV
Red Diamond Fashions
11th Bell

If Razkar thought he was mistrusted before his day in the Arena, he knew he was outright hated after it.

Everything had changed, and that's not hyperbole. His employer had cut him lose, deeming it an unacceptable risk to have such a well-known face on his (supposedly) covert payroll. Razkar had grudgingly accepted Provedan's logic, since it was the least of his problems.

He had to leave. Riverfall had gone from suspicious of him to outright hostile, and he knew it was only a matter of time before some hotblooded Akalak or three decided to take the law into their own hands.

Which would either result in his dead or back in that damn Arena.

"I told you, savage! No service, no sale, now get out!"

Razkar was forced backwards out the front door of the Arma'Drex Smithy by the twin forms of Haiduk and Loriim. The former was towering over him, blacksmith's hammer held in one hand, the other... quieter. More cerebral and even a tad regretful, but not countering at all his partner's bellowing.

With greatdifficulty, the Myrian put up his hands, trying to placate them. A crowd was fast gathering around the little scene, muttering Akalak's coming closer, especially when they saw the subject of consternation.

Him.

"I only want repair done." He said, looking at Loriim, who would be the better man for the alterations to his leather harness. "I not need to cause trouble, and-"

"I'm not asking you, savage." Not bellowing, now. Haiduk was snarling, pointing with his hammer and Razkar knew his was a breath away from snapping. "We're not helping you. Not for love or money, now get the hells away from this place!"

The Myrian took deep breaths and it was with a faint pang of sadness that he turned his back on them. Haiduk and Loriim were true craftsmen, and while Haiduk knew the bone Razkar had bought him had come from an Akalak, he still made it into a shaft for his ax. They had not been... friendly, Razkar guess, but they had tolerated him, and he had enjoyed watching them work.

Then came that day in the Arena. Revelations and truth and further humiliations, for all Akalaks, apparently. Razkar knew well that while insults against ones own flesh could be forgiven, insults against race or honor... they never healed.

Shaking his head, the Myrian had walked away, got back on his laden horse and found a similar story down every street he wandered. Stores were closed to him, or their owners had stood in the doorway with weapons openly drawn. Children were more fiercely shooed out of his way and some of the warrior race even spat on the ground before he walked on it.

Razkar did not rise to it. He would be leaving that night, and the next dawn would find him leagues from this city. But that meant he had things to do, and he was already burning daylight...

The Myrians cursed softly and absently fingered the double-bladed dagger at the small of his back. Well, more accurately it was jammed down his pants at the small of his back, and that's the reason he wanted Loriim's skills: to make a sheath for it before he left. He still had Mrrko to sell, his excess items and feed... so much to do. So few bells.

Then he glanced left and saw... something. A hope, perhaps, but a forlorn and frilly one, by his standards. The chill of winter was putting up a good fight but the warmth of spring was kicking the hells out it it, gradually, and the sun warmed his face nicely as it illuminated the sign over the storefront.

"Red... Diamond... Fashions..."

He sounded out the words carefully, frowning and noticing the woman behind the glass. She had... many arms. Six, in fact. The Myrian just gawped for a few moments. He knew the name for... oh, Goddess...

"Eypharian," he breathed, mind flashing with images of his Ayatah, now Goddess knew where. He could see the similarities in the female's face. The delicate cheekbones and pale skin, fine and beautiful. Even out here, he could... he sniffed, inhaled deeply... ah, yes, the faint traces of perfume and what Ayatah had told him were things called "fermones".

Natural perfume, apparently. Very exotic.

Razkar exhaled heavily and swallowed. Needs must, as his mother always said. No-one of the Akalaks would help him, so what did that leave him but a foreigner like himself? He squared his shoulders, tapped his money bag and stepped into the door.

He looked around at the bewildering array of clothes and knew he was being scrutinized himself as he stood, waiting for service.

The Myrian wore his sandals and leather pants, both made of dark tanned leather, simple and tough, much like himself. Above that was his shirt, a simple linen tunic of grey over which was the complex latticework of leather that was his weapons harness.

Which he wore without any attempt at concealment. Hand ax and gladius, both with bone shafts, hung at his waist. A wickedly-curved kukri was at his pectoral, pointing down. The only thing she couldn't see were his two lakan, claimed from a dead Akalak (OK, OK, slain Akalak, but we're not going over that again...), in sheathes at his back, under... ah, yes...

What would she make of his Cloak of Fallen, he wondered idly? A patchwork of scalps and flesh and hair sewn together that came down to his knees, some of the flesh... not that old. Facial tattoos and piercings marred his dark skin, too, and those obsidian eyes flitted around but when they stared, nothing shone in them but the reflection of their target. He wore a necklace of beads and claws around his neck and when he scratched under his chin, fresh inkwork on his arms were revealed...

Razkar shuffled uncomfortably, but he felt a little thrill of amusement as he waited.

But you ain't served me kind before...
My Words | Your Words | Myrian | Fratavan | My Thoughts
Razkar has been cursed by Yahal, and as such finds little acceptance from others; they will instinctively view him as being deceptive and traitorous. However, when close to one blessed by Yahal, the effect is negated. The curse is etched onto his left pectoral, and viewing the mark causes others to feel dirty and unclean.
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Words: 2242619
Joined roleplay: October 8th, 2012, 12:04 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 9
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Needs Must... (Rosela)

Postby Rosela on March 5th, 2013, 2:55 am

While Rosela had always enjoyed a juicy bit of gossip, ever since the Winter Council meeting and her mark from Akajia, she’d found herself simply unable to avoid eavesdropping whenever she was out and about. As it was, she was in the Warrens before opening time for her shop, browsing the jewelry stalls. Early risers like her milled about, with little interesting to say, but she listened anyway.

“So I told her, ‘Listen honey, not everybody can pull off moves like that.’ She so needs to chill-“

“Five gold mizas? Last week it was two-”

“Two melons, bunch of grapes…What about cherries? Do people put cherries in fruit salads? Oh, no cherry harvest yet-"

“Savages like that barely deserve to live, let alone sully our city. He…it should have never walked out of that arena alive.”

One hand paused in lifting a pendant necklace off its pedestal. Savage? Now that was something new. Setting the pendant back down, she ignored the look of disappointment the shopkeep gave her as she migrated towards the two beefy Akalaks. They were inspecting a buckles stall, picking up and tossing down the metal pieces disinterestedly.

Rosela had just nonchalantly worked her way over before the bigger of the two sighed and stretched his big arms over the back of his head. “Forget the damn buckles, we’ll be late for duty.” He started to walk away, jerking his head at his companion.

Wordlessly, the other sighed and followed, leaving Rosela irritated and staring after them, fingernails tapping against the table. The proprietor, and elderly human man, nodded at her before continuing a conversation in Tukant with another, leaner, Akalak customer. The shadows under the displays flickered like tiny flames in her peripheral vision. Leaning in close under the pretense of inspecting the mediocre buckles, she whispered quietly in Makath.

“Hey. What’s with the savage thing? What were they talking about?”

There was a moment of silence as she could feel she multitude of shadows regard her. “The Myrian.”

“Myrian? Aren’t they in Falyndar?”

“Obviously one isn’t. This one killed.”

Rosela made a small gasp, and snatched up an ugly brass buckle to inspect it unnaturally close. She ignored the curious look the shopkeeper and the other customer gave her. “Killed? Killed who?” She hissed under her breath.

“Two. That is all we know.”

“But…hm. Thank you.” She knew better than to push – they’d just clam up and get uppity. It was nearly opening time for her anyway, so she needed to move.

The Myrian had nearly dissolved into a mild interest by the time she’d gotten to her shop, and by late morning, it was all but forgotten. She sat at her desk in between customers, as per her usual routine, and today was using her sewing knife to cut small holes along a small leather belt. She was still growing accustomed to leatherworking, and while it was certainly not a pleasant process, it was making quite an improvement in her sales to men. She’d bought a couple sheaths to include with the leather belts, as she lacked the tools to craft them herself.

The door opened in her peripheral, and she was careful to twist the dagger out of the leather and set it down before she looked up. No sense in hurting herself –

Her mind went blank with shock at the figure that entered her shop, and the word ‘Myrian’ didn’t even register until a moment later. He looked dirty, inherently so, in a way that soap and water would never remove. Armed to the teeth, his weapons were ugly and crude, and her bones ached to even look at them, as though they radiated the pain they no doubt inflicted. His clothing was easily the ugliest ensemble to ever enter her shop. His cloak was some sort of patchwork leather, with some pieces clearly...fresher. Looking at it made her feel as though she were missing the most terrible part of an already scary story, and if she looked at it long enough, she’d know, and she’d never be able to un-know.

”Can I help you?” The question popped out of her mouth abruptly, pushing the cloak from her mind. This was the savage Myrian, in her very shop. One hand did not leave the sewing knife as it lay on the desk, but she knew it would be useless if he raised even a hand against her. For the moment, he remained calm, even unimpressed with her. What could he possibly want?

Have a moment? Maybe drop by and leave a peer review?
Rosela
Bring me pretty things.

Words: 739794
Joined roleplay: August 24th, 2012, 7:54 pm
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 6
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Needs Must... (Rosela)

Postby Razkar on March 5th, 2013, 3:16 am

Some gloating, perhaps a little immature part of Razkar silently reveled in the obvious fear writ large across the Eypharian's face as her question spilled from her lips, like her mind was playing catch up with her body. But the rest of him quickly quashed the instinct: he was not there to intimidate the female, and doing so would be... counter-productive.

"Yes."

His tongue getting more and more used to Common but still seeming to grind the words out as if unwillingly. Then he surprised her and any other present by giving a short, formal bow.

"I am Razkar of the Shorn Skulls, mistress," he said, using the proper and polite title for females as had been taught to him by his family, "I know you do clothes. I need work done on, ah... harness." He patted the leather workings that snaked across his body, holding all manner of viciously-intended metalwork. "Something in back."

Without any more preamble he took off his Cloak with a flourish, turning around so she could see what he was talking about... not to mention the two lakans on vertical sheaths at his back. He patted the small of his back at his waist, along the leather strip of the harness's rear.

"I would like a sheath, here, for this-"

In retrospect, drawing the double-bladed dagger was a bad idea. He turned when he heard a strangled little sound that could only have come from her, turned and saw an... unhappy expression.

Razkar looked at her. Then he looked at the knife. Oh. He put the knife away.

Then, there was a surprise, or at least he hoped it was. He turned to face her and smiled. Such a thing did not often grace his face and he decided to keep it close-lipped. The sharpened teeth he had personally filed would not help the situation.

"I not want to scare you, mistress. I just want work done. I pay."

He regarded her as her mind churned for a response. But even through her fear and uncertainty, he saw in those green eyes what he had seen in his beloved Aya. One of the things he loved so much about her, that gave her such a wonderful counterpoint to his masculine blundering.

Poise. Confidence. Unshakeable self-assurance. And, quicker than he expected, it flooded back to Rosela.

"So... you can do this thing?"
Razkar has been cursed by Yahal, and as such finds little acceptance from others; they will instinctively view him as being deceptive and traitorous. However, when close to one blessed by Yahal, the effect is negated. The curse is etched onto his left pectoral, and viewing the mark causes others to feel dirty and unclean.
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Needs Must... (Rosela)

Postby Rosela on March 15th, 2013, 5:24 pm

…Mistress?

Now that kind of talk a girl could get used to. The ‘Shorn Skulls’ part was forced from her mind as she allowed herself to be buttered up, just a little bit. This was a customer after all, who had mizas to pay. She’d help him, take his money, and he’d be gone before she knew it.

Her heart jumped as he whipped off his hideous cloak, and she hoped he didn’t see her hand fly instinctually to her chest. He had an enormous number of tattoos on his back, with still two more blades. She opened her mouth to answer, when he suddenly whipped out one of the many knifes, and her voice betrayed her in a small squeak. Unfortunately, this he noticed, and there was no hiding that he’d frightened her. Even through the haze of fear, she kicked herself for showing it. In any case, he put the knife away, and she swallowed her emotions, striving for her mask of civility. Get his mizas, and get him out.

”No need for formalities. Call me Rosela. The Clothier.” She waved a hand nonchalantly, doing her best to focus on the flattery and not the knives. She hadn’t used her new title formally since starting the shop, but it seemed appropriate to return a full introduction. ”A harness? Yes, I think I have just the thing.” Stepping around the desk, she was very conscious of her gait as she tried to stay casual. The sewing knife was left on the desk and she was acutely aware of it.

Her small selection of leather products were in the back of the men’s section, and she picked up a thick belt with a sheath and two thinner straps attached. Using four hands, she held up the belt and straps in an approximation of what it would look like worn. ”Pretty basic harness: belt with the sheath attached, with two straps to go over your shoulders to keep it from sliding around.” She fell into her sales mode, getting more comfortable as she focused more on the product than on the number of knives he had on him. Her two free hands indicated the sheath in the back of the belt. ”It’s held back here by two snaps, which you can undo to move it around.” She paused a moment to pry open the snaps, requiring a little strength. She tilted the sheath horizontally and crossed the small sheath straps to lock it in place. A small grunt escaped her as she resnapped them. ”The back of the sheath and the little straps are reinforced with extra stitching, to keep it from wearing through and breaking if you’re going to move it around much.”

She fell silent for a moment as she realized there was no more to say. Now would be when she complimented the customer, or made an interesting remark before pulling out the price. A discreet glance told her more than a few people had paused to peer in at the barbarian in her shop. ”It’s 5 gold mizas. Is it what you were looking for?” A small part of her wished she’d mentioned the price earlier; she could only assume he had mizas instead of nuts, or beads, or whatever else barbarians traded with.

Rosela
Bring me pretty things.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Needs Must... (Rosela)

Postby Razkar on March 15th, 2013, 9:24 pm

Razkar listened carefully to the dark-haired woman as she spoke, but he found watching her to be far more interesting. Oh, it wasn't just the fact she was trying to hard to mask her fear, the way her movements were just a little too precise and controlled for her soul to be at ease... it was that she reminded him of Ayatah. A shadow of her beauty, in his mind's eye, perhaps, but... familiar.

Of course, he got his head back on straight when she made her suggestions and he gazed critically at the harness she had provided. In that respect, Razkar noticed she was without fear: when she talked about her wares. She explained with a level of detail and knowledge that implied not just years of training and experience, but passion.

And still he shook his head.

"No, that will no work."

She blinked, somewhere between surprised and offended, and he knew he'd better smooth over his uncompromising statement. Razkar pointed to the two straps that would go over his shoulders, holding the sheath in place.

"Too much. Have enough leather on... um..." He gestured from his waist to his shoulders, running coarse fingers over the weapons harness that already covered much of his flesh. "Not want more."

He touched the sheath itself, squinting slightly. It was very well-made, and exactly what he was looking for... so...

"Would be... Could you, ah... sew this onto my harness? At waist?" He gestured to the small of his back, where the leather belt comprising the stabilizing bottom of the weapons harness encompassed his weight. "There? I take off harness, you work. Not a problem. Price to not problem, either."
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Needs Must... (Rosela)

Postby Rosela on March 19th, 2013, 7:31 pm

As Rosela ran through the features of the harness, she was silently grateful for the returned silence. It was difficult enough quickly explaining a product significantly more complex than shirts and trousers, without having to smile and grit her teeth with someone who interrupted her.

She tried not to be offended at his rejection of the displayed harness – it wasn’t the first time she hadn’t nailed it on the first try – but it was hard. Every moment he spent in the shop was another moment people saw him in here, and now it was clearly not going to be a straight forward offer-buy-leave deal. He did make a valid point though, and she glanced critically over the many straps and sheaths already holding his weapons in place. She filed the idea away in her mind, already wondering if she could develop something for future customers, a single harness that one could customize with sheath locations. Then again, the common Akalak running around Riverfall was rarely so well armed.

Four hands folding up her offered harness loosely, she eyed his belt with disguised apprehension. How much sweat, dirt, and blood had that thing seen? Been caked in? A small part of her immediately wanted to lie and turn him away with the story that she couldn’t work on leather right now; her supplies were broken or out of the shop at the moment. It would be a hard story to sell, however, given that she was working on a belt the very moment he came in. If one couldn’t lie well, one may as well not lie at all, and she was well past the moment when she could have thrown him out on principle.

Suck it up, girl. He’s going to be here for a few chimes.

”Certainly,” she said in forced cheer. ”It’ll still be about 5 gold mizas for the labor. You just take that off, and I’ll be right back with a spare sheath. I’m sure it won’t take more than a couple chimes.” She waved a hand at him as she disappeared to the back, pausing to take a steadying breath when the door swung shut behind her. Mizas, think of the mizas. What she hoped were the last of her apprehensions were swept under the mental rug as she grabbed a snap-less sheath from the accessories box and backed out of the door again.

”So! I’m not sure I’ve heard that accent before; what brings you to Riverfall?” At the very least, she might be able to nose around and find out more about the whole killing thing.

Rosela
Bring me pretty things.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Needs Must... (Rosela)

Postby Razkar on March 20th, 2013, 3:47 am

The Ephyarian took the folds and snakes of leather and disappeared behind her curtain with a little more haste than was probably tactful. Razkar gave a tiny, knowing smile, but decided not to comment. It was... unpleasant, being regarded with such fear, all the time, but he had grown used to it.

They're just barbarians, after all, he thought, then checked himself with a soft, almost rasping chuckle, and remember, even Aya has some of them in her. Would you scorn her so?

The Myrian wandered slowly around the rows of clothes, taking each one in with studious care and recognizing... nope, not a one. Women's fashions were hardly his forte, but it was something to take his mind off the tedium. He ran his dark fingers across a dress of the softest crushed velvet when he heard the metal clicks and snaps of scissors and other tools he had no idea of.

”So! I’m not sure I've heard that accent before; what brings you to Riverfall?”

"I come to kill and eat people." He heard a gratifying clatter of something being dropped and let a grin spread across his face. Ah, it never got old. "That was joke. I come..."

The grin faltered just a little. Why did he come? Oh, he knew the reason, but not the why. The true why. A crusade? A pilgrimage in blood? It had sounded so noble and simple when he decided on it. Travelling to the barbarian lands and reaping scalps and souls for his Goddess-Queen. Very noble, by Myrian standards...

"... I came to leave." He said, very quietly and un-Myrian all of a sudden. Yet he oddly felt no unease speaking so around her; perhaps because she would never see him again, so where was the risk? "Home was... not home. Did not want to stay, so... left."

Razkar's hand drops from the fabric. Home was not home... yes... that was the best way he could put it. The Djed Storm and... her. Everything changed, and for the worse. The jungle that had nurtured him became a dank, oppressive place and he just wanted... out. And now he wanted back.

What a waste. What a fool.

He chuckled again. Today was not the day for introspection, especially around a terrified barbarian shopkeeper. He leaned against the wall next to the closed door, industrious sounds of manufacture clicking and slicing into life again. He rested his head back against it, one eye on the front door, another on the shop floor... and waited.

"How it go?"
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Needs Must... (Rosela)

Postby Rosela on March 25th, 2013, 12:07 pm

The belt was on her desk when Rosela came back out, and she set down the new sheath next to it. She wished he wouldn’t run his dirty fingers over the clothes, particularly the women’s side, but with the number of warriors and craftsmen that frequented her shop, it wasn’t an unfamiliar thought. Spreading out the belt and putting the sheath next to it, she was pleased that it wasn’t as filthy as she’d feared. Another hand pulled up her small leather working kit from under the desk, pulling out the scissors as she laid them down.

”I come to kill and eat people.”

The scissors, inches above the desk, slipped from her hand with a clatter to the desk. Color drained, then flooded, her face in an awkward blush. She knew he was joking before he said so, but it was still unnerving. He was obviously very aware of how he made people feel. ”That’s…aha…oh my…” The laugh was forced and awkward, and she cleared her throat behind a hand to attempt to move past it.

The other hands picked up the scissors and the sheath, slowly cutting the stitches holding the belt loop in place. It was made for a smaller belt, and it’d have to be widened to fit on his. She listened to what sounded like a confession while she worked, being sure not to nick the leather with the scissors. Any imperfections and she’d have to start all over. The holes from the old stitches were bad enough to leave, but unavoidable. They were hidden just inside the top of the sheath, where tooling a design to hide them would be a difficult and pointless effort.

She paused when he stopped talking, hearing in his voice something that resonated with her. Not regret, but something unnamable that spoke of a heavy past. Trying to dismiss it, she let the silence stretch, with only a hum of interest to indicate that she’d hear him. She pulled out her leather needle, a three-barbed, curved piece of metal; a small, rough-beaten thimble, and a pair of small pliers. Whatever lay in his past, it was probably nothing like hers. A barbarian like him, he’d probably killed a whole village instead of just his…his…

Suddenly he was there, breaking off the painful thoughts. She’d threaded the needle with the waxy thread, and had punched it through the first hole. Grateful for something else to talk about, she used the pliers to pull the needle the rest of the way through and held it up for him to see. ”It’s going well. I don’t have a sheath with a loop big enough for your belt, so I’m widening one I have. Would you like it sewn onto the belt?”

In an effort to avoid returning to the unpleasant past, she made an attempt to change the subject. ”How do you like it in Riverfall, then? I don’t think anyone around here eats people, but I’m sure the warriors are always up for a fight?” It was awkward to make light of his previous comment, but she doubled it with a bit of fishing. If what she’d heard this morning was true, he’d apparently had a little trouble fitting in, and may be up for supplying details.

Rosela
Bring me pretty things.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Needs Must... (Rosela)

Postby Razkar on March 25th, 2013, 9:35 pm

”It’s going well. I don’t have a sheath with a loop big enough for your belt, so I’m widening one I have. Would you like it sewn onto the belt?”

Razkar studied the belt keenly and nodded his assent. Like most other Myrians, his clothing was designed to be worn with or around weapons. Being without one was... it made his skin crawl just to entertain the concept.

"Yes, I would like on belt, please."

”How do you like it in Riverfall, then? I don’t think anyone around here eats people, but I’m sure the warriors are always up for a fight?”

Razkar chuckled at that, showing his twin rows of filed points in genuine amusement. Something darker, more cynical glittered behind it, but it was more an appreciation of irony than any bloody intent. He nodded again, topknot swaying slightly, scratching under his chin reflectively.

"Oh, yes. Akalaks like fight." He snorted, and now there was open bitterness in his voice. "Just cannot handle losing, I think. Think they are more special than all. Someone show they are not... the not like it." He shrugged, philosophical edge sliding into his voice with a sigh and he wondered if the barbarian was surprised he could show a range of emotions beyond rage and sadism. "But people not like to have what they know asked. Er... questioned? Make them question them self, too. No-one like that."

Razkar blinked, realized he was rambling most fearfully, and time was beginning to drag on. More than that, other customers had come... and several more had gone with indecent haste. His throat tightened oddly. Strange, that he felt bad for causing this barbarian to perhaps lose business. Better to conclude their own and leave her in peace.

But he had one more question, something that had been bubbling around in him since he realized what she was.

"Ah, forgive my ask, not mean rudeness, but... you are Eypharian." It was not a question; just a prelude to one. Then again, how could he mistake the six arms? "I... knew someone. Back in jungle. Her father was Eypharian. Want to know..."

What did he want to know? Was he questioning this Rosela on Ayatah's behalf? Did he even care to know? She had never cared about her father. She accepted that her lust for knowledge and temperate emotions were the result of him, but they aided her and made her into the woman she had loved. He did not begrudge them, but... when would he get a better chance?

"Man who leave woman he make baby with. Is that bad in you people?"
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Needs Must... (Rosela)

Postby Rosela on April 3rd, 2013, 7:11 pm

Continuing to punch holes in the leather and slide the thread through, and nodded slowly at his request to sew the sheath on. She wondered if it was actually personal preference that made the decision for him, or if there was something about his situation that made a permanently stationary sheath advantageous. Not for the first time, she reminded herself to break out that pretty dagger she bought and figure out how people used such things.

Her thoughts nearly distracted her from the row of grinning, sharpened teeth and though her eyes widened momentarily, she congratulated herself on not jumping back. As much as she wanted to think she was mastering her fear, it was more likely she’d gotten to a saturation level for the moment, and it would take more than that to make her jump. In her peripheral, a pair of Akalaks outside noticeably started and peered inside at Razkar. She did her best to pleasantly ignore them and tried to follow Razkar’s broken Common. She gave an absent, truncated wave to a human woman who wandered in, spotted the pair of them, and immediately left. No matter; humans were cheap anyway.

So Razkar had fought the Akalaks, and won. Presumably this was where killing of two people came in. A warmth rose in her stomach at the satisfaction of finding out. ”Maybe it’s not so much the losing part that they’re upset about, more the losing to a…” One hand waved vaguely, searching for a diplomatic term as three other hands worked the thimble, needle and pliers through the leather. ”…An outsider.” As good a description as any for the frightening man in front of her. ”Why, not too long ago, the Champion of Ivak was at the Winter Council Meeting, and this one Akalak was making the biggest fuss! Were you there? It was quite a show. But would he have been so upset if the poor man had been Akalak, one of his ‘brothers’?” Her voice dropped for the word, doing a brief, poor imitation of a man’s voice. She huffed briefly and met his eyes, boldly, for the first time. ”Men,” she said, with clear sarcasm.

The thimble punched through the last hole in the belt loop, and she twisted it around to form a complex knot, and hide it inside the fold. The sudden observation of her race was unusual, and she hummed her confirmation as she snipped off the waxy thread, but didn’t interrupt. He seemed hesitant, almost unsure if he wanted to broach the subject. A knot developed in her stomach, illogically wondering if he was going to return to the subject of the past. He didn’t however, and the knot was replaced by the curiosity of what on Mizahar was an Eypharian doing out with the barbarians.

Sliding the now-snugly fitting sheath onto the belt, she gave him a look of shock. ”Well…yes. Only the lowest of men would not immediately marry a woman he’d made a child with. He must have been of very poor class.” She felt insulted, irritated by this unseen man, bringing shame on their noble race. Holding up the belt to eyeball the position Razkar had indicated for the sheath, she clipped it in place and set it back down, picking up a thicker needle and threading it with another pair of hands. ”Trust me, if he’s not in the picture, your friend’s better off.” Even a filthy barbarian was better than a deadbeat father.

Rosela
Bring me pretty things.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Next