Open The Iron Dance [Edreina]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

An inland sea created by Ivak's cataclismic fury during the Valterrian, the Suvan Sea is a major trade route and the foremost hub for piracy in Mizahar. [lore]

The Iron Dance [Edreina]

Postby Razkar on April 23rd, 2013, 1:55 am

"Have you ever had baked squid?"

Razkar did a double-take as he heard the question, bemused smile on his face. He wracked his mind and tried to recall if he'd ever had something like that. Surely he would remember... and finally he shook his head.

"No, I do not... Oh, thank you."

He nodded politely at the bearded Svefra with shells in his beard that thanked him heartily for "showing one of our little sisters how to swing steel". Within a moment the grinning sailor was away again, but Razkar was staring at his back in yet more befuddlement. It was the first time among the barbarians that people had not shied away from him or muttered and whispered as he past, as if he were some leash-less dog or leper. These ones were actually... almost glad to see him.

It was a strange feeling, and not an unwelcome one.

"Well, I know this guy who has a real stone oven and he is always making squid tentacles. He is a friend of my aunt's so we might be able to get a few free ones... If not I'll just owe him the mizas later."

Razkar's eyes widened again, digesting this information and immediately thinking simply: one of the big stone cookers from his clan lands, only in the hold of a Svefra vessel. But she had said "stone oven".

"How does ship not sink? And I will buy food." He put up a hand and jingled his purse, with the dregs of his funds and plenty of coppers for whatever aquatic delicacy Edreina would suggest to him. "No. I make a treat. Oh, not make face. It is tradition, no? For male to pay for female food?"

The Myrian snorted, rolling his eyes and walking slower so she didn't have to walk swiftly to keep pace with him. He was so used to a military march that he'd almost forgotten how to walk soft and just enjoy the scenery.

And there was much of it. The sun was at its apex in the clear and honest sky, blue from where it touched the water in all directions. The day was so fine that he could make out the smudge, the suggestion of land far to the north, but it was like a distant storm that would miss them. Not to be concerned over, and he knew these Sea People were happy to keep it that way.

His nostrils pricked up again and he kept walking, following both it and Edreina as they made their way over gangplanks and lashed decks to this fabulous floating stone oven. Razkar chuckled and when she turned to him he spoke carefully, once he found the words.

"Delicacy for my people? Honey ant. Not make face! Ant drink nectar, keep it in... um... in rear. Big and fat. You take ant and bite it's ah..." He colored for a second and just shrugged, scent growing stronger. "Well... you know what I say. Delicacy. And big ant? Warrior ant? We use their head as stitch."

The warrior tapped one of his scars, uneven and ragged, still bearing the faint marks where the massive mandibles of the soldier ants had bitten the split skin back together and then had their bodies wrenched off, leaving the heads and their unusually useful jaws to knit his flesh.

Razkar chuckled at her expression. "Much to know about world, Edri. I learn. Now I help you learn."

OOCI got the ant idea from an Amazon tribe that used the heads of Army Ant soldiers for that same purpose: as sutures and makeshift stitches. The more you know!
My Words | Your Words | Myrian | Fratavan | My Thoughts
Razkar has been cursed by Yahal, and as such finds little acceptance from others; they will instinctively view him as being deceptive and traitorous. However, when close to one blessed by Yahal, the effect is negated. The curse is etched onto his left pectoral, and viewing the mark causes others to feel dirty and unclean.
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Words: 2242619
Joined roleplay: October 8th, 2012, 12:04 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 9
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

The Iron Dance [Edreina]

Postby Edreina on April 23rd, 2013, 2:34 am

"How does ship not sink? And I will buy food. No. I make a treat. Oh, not make face. It is tradition, no? For male to pay for female food?"

She was about to explain that the oven was not too massive, only about as long as a child and half as deep. The moment he offered to pay, she made a face only to be told not to. Grinning, she rolled her eyes and glared at him. "Fine. But I'll repay you somehow..."

"Delicacy for my people? Honey ant. Not make face! Ant drink nectar, keep it in... um... in rear. Big and fat. You take ant and bite it's ah... Well... you know what I say. Delicacy. And big ant? Warrior ant? We use their head as stitch."

Again she made a face and again she was called out on it. The concept of eating bugs was just... unappealing. Bugs were pests that the Svefra fought to keep off the ships and out of their food. But, the fact that they were supposedly sweet intrigued her. Furthermore, the fact that they could act as sutures was incredibly interesting. She silently wondered what hurt worse: ant sutures or sewing a wound shut with a fish-hook. Shuddering, she looked back up at her friend, nose tingling with the smells that were drifting towards them.

"Much to know about world, Edri. I learn. Now I help you learn."

For once, Edreina realized that he was more than a sellsword. Looking up at his scarred face, Edreina imagined all of the things he had seen, heard, experienced, and felt a gentle pang of envy. Perhaps that would be her next adventure, exploring the world.

When they came up to the boat with the stone oven, Edreina was distressed to realize that she could not remember the man's name. Luckily, his young son was managing the oven and had the tentacles laid out upon a rack. Upon seeing her, the little boy ran up and hugged her tightly about the hips, speaking rapidly in Fratava as his blue eyes darted to the Myrian uncertainly. Edreina greeted him amiably and asked for two of the little wooden spears. Nodding, he ran over and returned with two, as asked. When she asked how much he wanted in return, she was surprised to see the dark haired little boy shaking his head rapidly.

Bravely, he walked up to the tattooed Myrian and offered him one of the tentacles. "You tell good story..." His Common was incomplete, but he managed to get his point across to Razkar.

After the exchange, the two departed, now walking aimlessly. "Did you want to go to the stories... or... I don't know. Explore more?" She reached back and ran a hand through her hair at the back of her head, fluffing it up to a great puff now that it was mostly dry. Maybe it's time to cut it... But just as the consideration struck, a woman walking by with beads and intricate braids in her hair caught Edreina's attention. Or maybe that... As usual, Edreina found herself wondering between two possibilities, unable to decide.

"So... what are your plans, Myrian?" The question was more personal than she had ever asked, but her curiosity had finally reached high-tide in the amiable silence. "Going to explore more, or return to Taloba?" And your beloved... The thought was like a sting, unexpected and painful. Glaring off to the horizon, she pushed that damned, betraying part of herself back into the sunken chest it belonged in.
Edreina
Unbound

Words: 1079180
Joined roleplay: March 18th, 2013, 1:40 am
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Lore Author (1) Artist (1)
Overlored (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

The Iron Dance [Edreina]

Postby Razkar on April 23rd, 2013, 3:27 am

Razkar nodded his respect to the little boy, taking the... whatever that was impaled on a stick. He darted away with a quick, dazzling grin, leaving the Myrian staring somewhat suspiciously at the fried tentacle.

"You... You are sure it is dead?"

Well, it must be, he told himself, because it's been dismembered and put on a fire for a few hours. Take a bite, you faint-heart!

So he did, under Edreina's watchful eyes the whole time. He bought the slightly-charred tentacle up to his mouth... took an experimental bite... chewed thoughtfully at the slightly stringy taste... swallowed... and smiled slowly.

"It's... good! Is like long fish." He chuckled to himself as they began walking again, seemingly without direction, sidestepping passing Svefra and taking in the sights. "Was nice of boy to not take mizas. I will remember that."

"Did you want to go to the stories... or... I don't know. Explore more?"

Razkar pondered this as another mouthful of slimy fish went down his gullet before eventually shrugging and shaking his head.

"Too early for stories," he said with a small smile, "Best told around fire. Maybe later tonight. For now, just want to walk."

Which is exactly what they did for a few chimes. Ships came and went on the horizon, detaching from the Flotilla like loose barnacles from a single gargantuan beast, or arriving and subsuming into its mass. She pointed out the telltale splashes of a pod of dolphins in the water... and then the tiny dots of sharks, only their dorsal fins breaking the surface, giving no hint as to the vast and sleek monsters under them. Finally, though, the conversation got serious again.

About time, Razkar thought with an inward grin, she's been itching to ask something...

"So... what are your plans, Myrian? Going to explore more, or return to Taloba?"

Ah, that one took a lot more pondering. Razkar found himself pausing, leaning forward on the railing of some ship they'd found themselves on, chewing slowly and staring at the water lapping beneath them. He had plans; he always had plans... but he decided on first things last.

"One day I will go back to jungle..." he said eventually, small smile on his face yet again, looking almost hopeful "... but not yet. More of world to see. Pilgrimage. That is what I am doing in barbarian lands."

The Myrian caught her frown and turned to her, seeing another chance to enlighten her.

"In my people, old tradition was to leave jungle and fight in Myri's name. Sometime whole clans would leave. That was in old days, when there was... less... order, I think is right words. More war to fight. Now, sometimes, we leave in fangs. That is war group, maybe ten of Myrians. More often, we are alone. We go as sellsword, most. Find war. Find battle. When we kill, we kill in Her name."

At the mention of Myri by name his eyes turned upward and she saw him touch the tattoo on his forehead briefly, in reverence. He smiled again, question after question on her face that he truly wanted to answer. He tapped the roughly circular tattoo.

"Is Eye of Myri. She sees me. Sees her son. But when Pilgrimage is over, I go home." She saw him swell at that word, and realized that for all the wonder the Myrian may have seen in the world, it was not enough. His clan, his people, his Goddess-Queen... they were truly his world. "I do not known when... but I think it might be soon."

Some distant, dull sadness took his face as he stared back out over the water. Bad memories, by the look of it. The things he had seen during the Djed Storm. The comrades and kin he had seen slain or struck down. The damage done to his people that a mere warrior like him had not the wit or skills to fix... it haunted him. It gnawed at him.

And you are still needed.

He blinked and seemed to physically shake off his mood, turning to her again, elbow resting on the railing.

"But much world to see! Want to see Zeltiva. And I hear of city called "Sun's Birth". Many warriors there." He grinned hungrily. "That sound like fun to me, worthy place for Child of Myri. But what about you, Edri? What is plan for she of Sea People?"
Razkar has been cursed by Yahal, and as such finds little acceptance from others; they will instinctively view him as being deceptive and traitorous. However, when close to one blessed by Yahal, the effect is negated. The curse is etched onto his left pectoral, and viewing the mark causes others to feel dirty and unclean.
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

The Iron Dance [Edreina]

Postby Edreina on April 23rd, 2013, 3:51 am

His answers cleared a few things up for her, but pushed several more queries into the bright, young mind. Etching a small, simple design into the railing with her nail as she pondered her own answer. What was her life's plan but to live? The entire concept of a plan for her life was foreign, unappealing, too structured.

Pursing her lips, she looked out to the sunset, blue eyes squinting against the bright, dancing light. Finally, she intertwined her fingers, resting forward onto her elbows in a mock of Razkar's pose. A small smile claimed her lips as she confided her plan into someone for the first time. "I don't want to do anything with my life other than live it..." Glancing up at her friend, his curiosity gave her the courage to forge onward. "I want to explore everywhere that the Suvan touches, to meet the people of each land and to learn their ways. I want to get a piercing, a tattoo." She gave him a wry look. "I want to cut off all my hair, then watch it grow back. "A sudden, bright blush colored her cheeks as she mentioned - quickly - her next goal. "I want to learn the difference between making love and fucking. So far, I've only had the latter," she laughed dryly, rolling her eyes. "I want to explore Laviku's depths, to discover the secrets of the deep, cold darkness." She chuckled once, almost as if she were laughing at herself before speaking softly... "I want to find a purpose..."

She rolled her eyes and realized how silly and childish she must seem before the seasoned warrior. All her life, she had been chasing eddies and starfish, laughing with her siblings and leaving the Flotilla whenever she pleased - once the Goldengrotto came into her possession. Razkar likely had duties and responsibilities, to his family, his clan, his race as a whole. Sighing, she rested a hand on her fist, making the horizon seem oddly tilted. "You must think me a fool..." She rolled her eyes and laughed, turning her face towards the darker one once again.
Edreina
Unbound

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

The Iron Dance [Edreina]

Postby Razkar on April 23rd, 2013, 4:42 am

Razkar listened with a full belly and a tired body to her words, and found himself drawn into them the more he heard them. With a glimmer of a glance at him she seemed to find some courage and he couldn't hep but smile as she poured out her hopes and dreams.

Well, aside from when she mentioned fucking. That made his lips crease into an awkward little line for a moment. So much for innocence...

But then she said some words softer. Almost like a wish, or a fervent prayer. Razkar's Common was still improving, but he understood what he meant within a few moments, and nodded along with them

"I want to find a purpose... You must think me a fool..."

The Myrian smiled and rested his head on his hands in the same way that she did, shaking his head. He gathered his thoughts and hoped his Common was up to what he had to say next.

"It is most important thing." Edreina blinked rapidly in what he assumed was surprised. He could understand why; rarely since he had left the jungle had his voice been so low. "For anyone, is to find purpose in life. Some in gods, or work, or clan, or love. In trade or war or thousand other path. But must have something. Must have... drive. Goal. Something to give cause to get out of bed." He grinned briefly. "Or hammock, if Sea People. But you are not a fool, Edri..."

The Myrian's hand reached out and his knuckles brushed across her pale, freckled cheek. Just once, and from an arm's length, but the gesture was enough. Reassuring and delivered with a smile.

"To know this as young female? That is special thing. Took me many years to find my purpose. You look for yours, and you will find. I know it."

Razkar paused and finally frowned dramatically, grimacing distastefully as if he felt his tentacle coming back up.

"Do not shave head. Look like little pale boy-"

Her hand smacked out and Razkar's laugh made the Svefra behind them jump. The sailors just rolled their eyes and continued darning nets. Damn Myrians. Always putting a scare in you...
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

The Iron Dance [Edreina]

Postby Edreina on April 23rd, 2013, 5:05 pm

"It is most important thing. For anyone, is to find purpose in life. Some in gods, or work, or clan, or love. In trade or war or thousand other path. But must have something. Must have... drive. Goal. Something to give cause to get out of bed... Or hammock, if Sea People. But you are not a fool, Edri..."

Edreina blinked in mild surprise at the Myrian's softer words. He seemed to understand her reasoning and logic even though the Svefra herself did not. It seemed so pointlessly abstract for her to believe that her drive in life was to experience life itself. But, nonetheless, it was true. Some devoted their lives to a god, some to their love and family, and some to a selfish dream; Edreina counted herself among those who would spend their life chasing a dream, alone and unburdened.

When the Myrian reached out to comfort her, Edreina stiffened slightly, not trusting herself to do anything other than sit still and turn a bright pink. Such a gentle, affectionate gesture from a Myrian was likely an odd sight. But, from her friend, it felt natural.

"To know this as young female? That is special thing. Took me many years to find my purpose. You look for yours, and you will find. I know it."

That was more comforting than the touch. To be told that she would find a purpose seemed to affirm her silent longings. Smiling, she looked out to the horizon once more. In the perfect moment, she closed her eyes and inhaled the fresh sea-breeze that danced around them, blowing her hair back like a flame. But, of course, Razkar had to ruin it with a - albeit funny - joke.

"Do not shave head. Look like little pale boy-"

She reached out and smacked his chest with the back of her hand, glaring playfully. They laughed together, enjoying a lighter moment. After a few chimes of silence, Edreina leapt up onto the railing, standing in the breeze with her arms spread for balance. Carefully, she took her left foot and brought it around front, resting with her leg bent upon her toes. Remaining on those toes, she picked up her right foot and brought it around so that she was now standing on both toes. Grinning, she turned back to her friend. "I'm always pestering you with questions about Taloba, Myri, and Myrians in general. You sure you don't want to ask me anything?" Grinning still, she pirouetted on her right foot so that she was facing the opposite direction.
Edreina
Unbound

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

The Iron Dance [Edreina]

Postby Razkar on April 23rd, 2013, 6:41 pm

The Myrian just shook his head in bewilderment as the Svefra executed her whimsical little pirouette, hair flying gently, fanning around her head even as she asked her question. He half-turned himself, back against the railing, both elbows braced against it, head upwards and eyes closed, letting the sun stroke his face.

"Ah, always have questions. Just cannot think of right questions at right moment. But I do not mind when you ask question. It is best way to learn... and you have not asked things I can not give answer to."

He opened his eyes and saw her head cocked to one side. Razkar's voice became serious for just a sentence. It was a beautiful day, and why spoil it?

"Some things barbarians do not need to know." He let the words linger just long enough and then straightened up with a single flexing of his arm muscles, voice lighter as if the moment was a wisp of smoke taken on the breeze. "But! I do have some question about Sea People. Have you ever been on land?Or you people like to stay on water and on ship all time?"

It was not the best question to start off with, he guessed, but he knew how his mind worked. Answer would provoke question, then another, then another, tangents shooting off like roots from a single seed. And it wasn't like either of them was rushed for time.
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

The Iron Dance [Edreina]

Postby Edreina on April 23rd, 2013, 8:05 pm

”Ah, always have questions. Just cannot think of right questions at right moment. But, I do not mind when you ask question. It is best way to learn... and you have not asked things I can not give answer to. “

Edreina's head cocked to the side of it's own accord as she puzzled over this. What could she ask and he not answer? She did not plan on asking anything too in depth; every race has their secrets. There were certain things, little things, that even Svefra wanted to keep to themselves such as the limits of their gnosis and even the secrets among some pods.

”Some things barbarians do not need to know.”

His eyes were the kind of serious that Edreina had come to expect and understand. When Razkar drew a line, one did not cross it. Despite the intriguing challenge that it would present, Edreina kept herself from pressing the matter further for she knew that the man of iron before her would shut her down immediately. His change in stance showed her that the subject was closed, that the terse moment was gone in the breath of ocean wind that continued to swirl across the Anchorage.

”But! I do have some question about Sea People. Have you ever been on land? Or you people like to stay on water and on ship all the time?”

Edreina laughed, spinning once more on the railing so that she was facing the ship once more before leaping lightly back onto the deck. It was a common enough misconception among land-dwellers, the thought that just because the Svefra love and live upon the Suvan, they never visit the land, never step foot off their boat. “I have been on land. I've been to Syliras and so many of random beaches.” Edreina blushed lightly as memories of her time in Syliras came flooding back. For an instant, she realized that she had not thought of the dark-haired chef in quite some time; she wondered what he was up to now. “We just prefer to stay at sea. If you haven't guessed, we can be very graceful upon our own rolling decks. But, put us on land...” She laughed and rolled her eyes, rubbing her elbow unconsciously.

“I actually love beaches... there is something about the point where land and sea meet that reminds me that all of us, no matter our skin or our tongue, are united by the gods. Like an unending tapestry... The ocean is just another beautiful pattern.” She looked away, blushing at her own words. Attempting to quickly change subject, Edriena turned to Razkar once more, forming a question of her own. “Do Myrians live in huts? Or treehouses... or maybe tents?” It was an odd, simple question but one that had been tickling the back of he mind for quite some time now.
Edreina
Unbound

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

The Iron Dance [Edreina]

Postby Razkar on April 23rd, 2013, 9:20 pm

Razkar grunted when the Svefra nimbly flitted from the railing to the deck with nary a slip or shudder, fittingly just as sh told him about her people's sea-based agility. Well, he had to agree with that. Even after most of a season at sea and now on a stable and lashed deck, the Myrian still had to consciously flex his leg and re-center himself constantly. The idea of doing spins, tumbles and vaults was almost intimidating to him.

But he found himself snorting softly when she mentioned beaches and gods and unity, crossing his arms in contemplation.

"Not sure I see that about gods," he rumbled, frowning slightly. "Gods are not about... unity? That was word? They are... more like us than they see, I think. They argue. They make mistake. They fight." The next time his snort was a little louder, and Edreina was surprised to find a trace of contempt in it. "Look at Valterran. Look at Storm. I not mean to make offensive, Edri, I just don't see that."

But then he smiled and the shadows over his face fell away. He was remembering, she realized, eyes perhaps on some distant beach with thick jungle beyond the golden sands.

"But I know what you say about beaches. They are so... peaceful. Sound of waves on sand. Water so clear person can see all the way down. There is clan, called Shining Scales, on coast of jungle. Do you known them? They trade with Sea People much. I have been there. It is beautiful..."

“Do Myrians live in huts? Or treehouses... or maybe tents?”

Razkar nodded, holding up two fingers. "Right about first two, not three. Most clan live in long houses. They are... well, like hut, but long. Hold whole family. But deep jungle clans, they live in trees. Come down only to patrol and hunt. Tents... no, we never use tents." He chuckled, pointing up. "We have canopy. You know... trees over us from jungle? That is all tent we need."

He regarded her again, head cocking to one side. Just as he had predicted, answers only bred further questions.

"Your god is Laviku. You say you are his children. But then what are Otani?" His face grimaced briefly as he remembered that damned thing Uleru he had met only a few days before, but it passed quickly. "They are... like... more favor children? I ask because, we call ourselves Children of Myri."

He used his native tongue, talking slow and sounding out the syllables as if to impress it on her memory. Who didn't want to learn another tongue, after all?

"It is the same for Sea People?"
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

The Iron Dance [Edreina]

Postby Edreina on April 24th, 2013, 12:13 am

"Your god is Laviku. You say you are his children. But then what are Otani? They are... like... more favor children? I ask because, we call ourselves Children of Myri."

"The Otani are Laviku's eyes and his hands. When one does not please Laviku, the Otani are sent after them. They were created before time began to watch over Laviku's realm." Her words were simple as if explaining a truth as simple as the sky is blue and the sea is wet.

"It is the same for Sea People?"

At this she laughed and scratched the back of her head thoughtfully. "Well... I have no idea why we call ourselves Svefra. It is either a story that I have not heard or one that was lost long ago. But yes, we all consider ourselves to be the children of Laviku. He kept us safe during the Valterran and crafted the Suvan Sea to be our home..." She shrugged and started walking now that Syna had all but left them. All around, torches were being lit and people were beginning to gather.

"What is it like? Growing up a Myrian male?" She knew that women ruled Myrian society, much like the Svefra, but she had also heard that men and women could never be of equal rank. It was an odd sort of lifestyle for her to imagine. On the ships, Lias made the rules but since men and women did the same work, men were not looked on in any negative sort of way unless they did something to earn it.

As they walked, a group of children nearly toppled over Edreina in their frantic games, causing her to laugh and yell something about telling their mothers in Fratava. All around, the ship seemed to be coming to life. Yes, there were people up and about on the ships at all hours. But, during the day, Svefra had chores, duties, and jobs. At night, they would gather around fires. The night was already filling with songs and the light lilting of instruments.
Edreina
Unbound

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

PreviousNext