Quest A Change in Circumstances

Drykas raiders arrive on the doorstep of Syliras...

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Stretching northward along the coastline of the Suvan Sea, the Cobalt Mountains are the home of the Bronze Wood, numerous ruins, and creatures both strange and fantastical.

A Change in Circumstances

Postby Jackalope on June 7th, 2013, 9:11 pm

Title: A Change in Circumstances
Location: Near the Kabrin Road, within a days ride of Syliras
Date: 40 Summer, 513 AV
Time: 20th Bell
Who: Initial Drykas raiders, up to three Syliran PCs, NPCs

Disclaimer :
If you are squeamish about sensitive topics like slavery, kidnapping, human trafficking, murder, or anything along these lines, I suggest you do not participate in this story arc. While everything will be within Mizahar’s ToU and rules, it could potentially not be for the faint of heart. Additionally, any participation in these threads must come with the understanding that your character’s circumstances could be drastically altered, whether you are Drykas or not. What this means is that I don’t care if it messes up what you have plotted for your character. Not because I don’t wuv you all, because you know I do, but because you’re joining in a very serious plot. Posting in this thread is consent to have to deal with whatever Accolade or I throw your way. Your character might not like it, but I sure hope the writer does! Have fun! :D

It was a desperate time. Gods, was it ever. To have to resort to full on raiding? It wasn’t the first time in the history of Endrykas that they had brought outsiders to their city, ones who were…less than willing. It was never a high point when it had to be done on a larger scale, but this, this was unprecedented. Forcibly uprooting unsuspecting people from their homes and planting them into a culture and life they wouldn’t understand. They couldn’t escape, either. They would be bitter. The Drykas would be viewed as monsters.

“But have they ever lost three thousand people in just two seasons? Have they felt what we felt? We give them the chance to be bigger than their individual lives. Have they watched as perfectly healthy babies just died for no reason? There was no pox in them. We couldn’t save them, and we still don’t know why!”

Kobus Goldmane had been selected to lead the initial raiders. He was tall and lean, a body forged from the Sea of Grass. Dark black hair with dozens of braids and a full beard, completely unkempt. The man was a hunter, through and through. But instead of game, instead of food, they hunted people. Humans, to be exact. Children would be the best. They could be taught. Women next. They would submit, he was sure. Men, well, that was where it got difficult. Men would fight back. Men would protect the ones they loved, and they wouldn’t just accept being captured. The thing was, the Drykas were shorter on menfolk than the finer gender. If they could get a few to go along, if a few wanted that life, then maybe…but the trouble which came with it..

“We must ride swiftly. We move too slowly, and those men encased in steel will tear us to shreds. If you must defend yourself, do so from a distance. Puncture their armor, pepper them with arrows. They are too dangerous up close with sword and shield. They can all ride, but they are not Drykas. We are, and soon, we will increase those who live within our protection.”

They knew that they’d have to strike quickly. They knew they’d have to hit hard and retreat with as many in tow as they could get. Individuals if possible, small groups. Caravans if they are lightly guarded or if they can catch them completely off guard. But they weren’t there to kill. They weren’t there to end lives. They were there to build new ones.

“So let us ride. We will shadow the Kabrin for now, and make our decision. For our clans, pavilions, and those lost to the pox, we mustn’t fail.” He grasped his yvas and gave a slight kick to his Strider, urging her and the other raiders onward.

DrykasFirst three Drykas PCs will be participate. There will be a total of six Drykas regardless of how many PCs or NPCs are used. Do an introductory post explaining why you are here, motivations, goals and such. Are you struggling with the decision of the leaders? Or are you proud to do what your people need? Something entirely different? Do tell!

SyliransFirst three to post can participate. There will be a caravan nearby if that’s what your motivation is, or if you’re out and about collecting herbs, hunting, whatever you may choose. You have no requirement to be together, nor do you have to be separate.
Last edited by Jackalope on June 16th, 2013, 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jackalope
Check out that bunny heat

Words: 128580
Joined roleplay: September 27th, 2012, 6:56 pm
Race: Staff account
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Edreina on June 8th, 2013, 2:49 am

I've grossly underestimated this trip... Edreina realized with a groan, adjusting the little bundle under her arm that had started out as her lunch and was now housing little, exhausted Navis.

Leth was drawing up overhead, night unfurling above her like an enormous tapestry of muted light and twinkling stars. Also heading back towards the fortress, some intelligent enough to be on horseback, Edreina saw others. But they were further ahead of her. She seemed to be bringing up the rear.

For a woman that hated to be away from the sea, Edreina had enjoyed the outing. On one of her first days off, the Svefra had decided that, instead of venturing out onto the Suvan again, she would take Navis, the sand-colored fox kit, out to visit his natural habitat. It had been freeing for her, to chase the tiny animal across the open land lining the road, watching him chase birds and mice and grasshoppers. Hell, he had even surprised her by catching a rather intimidating 'hopper and carrying it around proudly for several chimes.

Since she was not going to spend the day in town, surrounded by judging eyes, Edreina was wearing a far more relaxed version of her city clothes. Her chest was covered by the linen wrappings she had worn upon the Anchorage. But, for the sake of a sense of decency - one she had never known to exist - the red-head had donned her long blue skirt. Between the two stretched her still-fresh tattoo, three black lines tangling together for an instant in the center. For the first time since entering the city, Edreina left her mane unbound, tying the little yellow bandanna around her bicep instead. Most would have to worry about that causing an unattractive tanline. But, to the honey-skinned woman who had spent every day bare beneath Syna's gaze, upon the glinting waters of Laviku's Suvan, tanning any further would be a stretch.

They should have begun to head back earlier. But he had been having so much fun. She had been having so much fun watching him. But now, with the city walls so far away, and the wilderness drawing in, Edreina began to feel the slightly sour tinge of fear leaking into her veins and quickening her heart. Distance was so different when she was walking it instead of sailing it. She could only hope that she would reach the gates before her legs decided that they were done or some unknown beast darted out and snatched the slim redhead. Gods... I really underestimated this...
Last edited by Edreina on June 8th, 2013, 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Edreina
Unbound

Words: 1079180
Joined roleplay: March 18th, 2013, 1:40 am
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Lore Author (1) Artist (1)
Overlored (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Fubuki Kouri on June 8th, 2013, 3:01 am

Fubuki Kouri

"La la la la~♪" A little girl was sitting on the tree branch just beside the Kabrin Road. Humming an eerie haunting tone and swaying her body side to side. A flower basket to her right and... four ominous chakrams, each composed of four identical daggers, were floating and slowly spinning beside her shoulders.

Kouri was just finished with her job of gathering flowers from the Bronze Woods for Madame Atta, owner of the Flower Stand and employer. There was no fixed time for her to do the job, it could be in the morning, day, or night; Kouri could just return to the Flower Stand and if Atta's not there, she would leave the flower-filled basket on Atta's table and wrote a note about it.

Kouri was in the mood for observing the various people and merchant travelling along the Kabrin Road, but it seemed... tonight was rather quiet. It didn't really matter though, quiet or crowded; they both provided two different kinds of enjoyable atmosphere. "Isn't it lovely, my pets?" She brought one of the chakrams and lovingly motioned her hand as if she was rubbing her left hand on the sharp metallic surface.

Rena must be waiting for me, but she's a good girl Her thoughts drifted to her ghostly little sister, who looked up so much to her adoptive older sibling. Kouri decided to continue her observation for just another fifteen chimes, then she would go back to Syliras, place the flowers, and went home to the Traveler's Row where her beloved sister would be waiting.

"common" | "vani" | thoughts

Important Note: I'm not accepting new threads unless I promised you beforehand, I'm sorry for any inconveniences caused.
Fubuki Kouri
The Sorceress' Daughter

Words: 784291
Joined roleplay: March 31st, 2013, 1:42 pm
Race: Ghost
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Razkar on June 8th, 2013, 3:51 am

Well, this is the double-edged sword everyone's telling me about...

In truth, Razkar knew from experience that for every thrilling and blood-soaked skirmish, every rousing battle filled with churning, screaming bodies, there was a dozen duties every man who swung iron for a living had to endure. Laundry, latrine duty, maintaining one's weapons, parade duty, training, exercise, breaking in the new recruits... and guard duty.

Especially petching guard duty.

"Sure you don't want some?"

The Myrian closed his eyes as he took a breath, resolving silently that if the oaf asked that one more time, he'd lose a finger. Or three. But whenever he turned to regard the chubby trader sitting next to him, that smile was there for all the word to see. Open, guileless, and impossibly good-humored.

Goodwill like that was a rare and precious thing. Razkar just wished it didn't offer him a biscuit like a burnt rock every ten chimes.

"No, thank you."

"You suuuuuure?"

"For tenth time, yes!" The Myrian sheathed his gladius, having sharpened it as much as it could go. He squinted ahead of them and saw the head of the caravan was moving swiftly again, the lame horse at the front moved off the Kabrin Road. He looked behind him, and... no, no change there. Two carts, fully-loaded, and four donkeys, heavily-laden but bearing it with their usual strong-backed stoicism. Mrrko was waiting patiently behind them, too, tied to the back of the cart and apparently resenting this duty as much as his master was. "I am not hungry."

"Wife always cooks them for me, for the long jobs, yknow?" Mitchum said as he chomped down another one, driving on the cart with a little kik-kik as he did. "You won't be with us the whol way, though, will you? You and your friends?"

Razkar turned to him again, glaring, but once again, that deathly stare that froze other men's piss jut bounced off that broad smile. Razkar really wanted to hate him. He just couldn't bring himself to do it. But the men behind him, however...

"They are not my friends."

Two of them, in fact, also sellswords employed by "The Smoker". One of them Razkar had seen in action, a competent enough fighter but no warrior. A thug for hire... and Razkar snorted. What did that make him, then? The three of them had been lumped together by the Smoker, assigned to watch over his part of a caravan heading along the Kabrin towards Zeltiva. Not the entire way, though, just until it was out of the Knight's domain.

"If you've got a master swordsman on the payroll doing bugger all, you might as well use him, eh?"

Razkar had queried that point, but the Smoker had just shrugged and refreshed his pipe.

"Well, you are on the payroll, so you'll do as I say." An edge crept into his voice, nudging the Myrian back into line. "And since we don't have anything... large, planned for the near future, you can do this. You're worth three of our other sellswords, so you're the best choice. Just make sure they get over the Avitar River without a problem." He puffed faster than usual, angry, worried little bursts of smoke exploding from his lips. "I hate complications like this..."

Just as I hate wasting my skills on babysitting.

That would have been the perfect comeback, Razkar thought, bells later and rocking gently back and forth on Mitchum's cart. Of course, it occurred to him much too late. Partially inspired by the memory of the Smoker, he searched for his pipe... then stayed his hand.

You're meant to be a professional, boy. Act like one.

Mitchum's eyebrows rose sharply as some guttural language h was sure was a curse escaped the Myrian's lips, the sellsword going back to watching the trees and fields as they passed them. Intent and observant, this "Razkar" certainly seemed to take his job seriously.

Bloody good job, Mitchum decided, more lads today could learn from that...

Ignorant of his upbeat train of thought and grateful for it, Razkar did what he was being paid to do (for now) and kept watch.
Last edited by Razkar on June 16th, 2013, 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Words | Your Words | Myrian | Fratavan | My Thoughts
Razkar has been cursed by Yahal, and as such finds little acceptance from others; they will instinctively view him as being deceptive and traitorous. However, when close to one blessed by Yahal, the effect is negated. The curse is etched onto his left pectoral, and viewing the mark causes others to feel dirty and unclean.
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Words: 2242619
Joined roleplay: October 8th, 2012, 12:04 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 9
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Nalik Fallingleaf on June 11th, 2013, 10:01 pm

Location: Near the Kabrin Road, within a days ride of Syliras
Date: 40 Summer, 513 AV
Time: 20th Bell

Nalik shifted uncomfortably on Rivains back, the Strider in turn snorting in recognition of his riders mood.

Waiting! I hate petching waiting! I thought I signed up to help secure our future, to repopulate aid in our kinds recovery, but all i have done so far is travel and wait!

He looked up at the slowly darkening sky muttering another curse under his breath. The young Drykas was restless and the restlessness was not helping with his nerves. he ran his hands over his Yvas for the 10th time in the last bell, checking first his Short bow, quiver, the little knife sheathed to his left, his pouch of hunting and trapping tools (Minus the camouflage tarp)stored behind him and then ran his hand over his shoulder touching his 3 javelins and then made sure the straps on his leather chest plate and shoulder pads were tight.

Everything was in order.

Just like it had been the last time he checked.

It was times like this that Naliks mind was left to wonder, something that was always dangerous. Questions he had already gone over with himself countless times kept popping into his roaming mind.

Why am I here doing this? You know why you fool. You're people are in a bad way, we have lost so many we need outsiders to survive.

No it doesn't matter if they are unwilling at first the cause is greater than their short-term happiness, besides when we have a chance to show them how great our culture is they will be thanking us!

We are just taking what is needed, the people will thank us after they get over the initial shock and you will have helped to rebuild our once mighty Endrykas. That is why you are here that is you're goal!

We need to do this.

We must do this.

You must do this.

He sighed then a long drawn out sigh, hoping to somehow expel these troublesome thought from his mind. Of course it was the right thing to do, that he didn't doubt. But did it have to be so brutal? He wasn't sure, however he had never been much of a thinker or a planner and if greater men than he had come up with this plan and no other then this must be the only way left.

Besides he had failed at finding a wife when his people needed him too, and yes maybe he had not tried hard enough, no that can't be true can it? Anyway this was his chance to repay his race and help rekindle the mighty Drykas once more, no matter the cost.

Resolute once more Nalik again checked his Yvas and again everything was in its place. Just as he finished his checks however his ears pricked as he heard Kobus Goldmane give his final orders.

So it begins, I only hope my bow stays in its place tonight, and our new residents come without a struggle, especially the children

He shivered at this last thought, blocking out images off what might happen later in the night. He gripped Rivains Yvas tightly and gave her a slight nudge, the sound of her hooves echoing softly on the ground comforted the Drykas and he was soon left in a quiet resolute state, ready to do what his people needed.
I am speaking to myself in my head ----- I am speaking out loud in Pavi ----- I am speaking in common
Nalik Fallingleaf
Player

Words: 46624
Joined roleplay: June 11th, 2013, 12:24 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet

Postby Akilah Windsong on June 14th, 2013, 4:09 pm

Akilah stared at the ground bitterly as they rode, willing tears to come. She didn't entirely want to be here--despite how much she knew they needed these people, she didn't know if she could take them.

But, she could still hear her uncle's wails as he held her cousin. Her aunt had just stood to the side, unable to speak. Akilah had watched the scene, unable to breathe.

She wasn't sure if she was breathing now. Those small hands, they had been so cold. Her strider was warm and she clutched her as they moved through the grass. That wasn't the only death in her family, but it was the first and she couldn't get it to leave her mind.

Other raiding parties were being organized. "Semele, Zulrav, guide me," she whispered under her breath. Why had she agreed to this? She couldn't break another family.

But her clan was still grieving. Endrykas was grieving, and this was the only way to fix them all.

She still wasn't crying. When had she stopped? Back when he--and she still can't remember his name, her friend, why can't she remember his name?--forgot all about her? Back at that first death? After they had created the mounds?

The Drykas were always used to death, but not like this. Not so many in so little time.

Akilah watched the riders around her. Their silhouettes were comforting, the scent of sweat and horses something she knew innately. Akilah hardened her heart and looked ahead at the horizon.
Akilah Windsong
Player

Words: 137515
Joined roleplay: May 5th, 2011, 4:02 am
Character sheet

Postby Jackalope on June 16th, 2013, 7:48 pm

Edreina, Akilah and Nalik

Onward did Edreina go, unknown that she was being watched so very closely. It was a perfect situation, exactly the one which the raiders had hoped for. A single person walking during the beginnings of the evening. It was difficult to determine much about her from the distance, but the trees which they used protected them from observation.

Kobus motioned to to his fellows. Now was a time for silence. With precise hand motions he made his desires clear. Windsong. Fallingleaf. Blackmane. Capture her. We will scout. Guard. Once he received acknowledgement that they understood, Kobus nodded to the other two riders he hadn't named and off they went, moving ahead to ensure no threats were coming down the Kabrin.

Kyrin Blackmane looked silently upon the two he'd been left with. He wasn't familiar with either of them or their pavilions, but what he could be happy with was the fact they were there. Rumors were spreading across the moving city of people who were actually leaving in reaction to the decision to raid. It disgusted him, leaving Endrykas in this time of need. They could rot for all he cared.

Once it seemed the rest were ready, Blackmane spurred his mount into action, moving out towards who was hopefully to be a brand new Drykas.

The sudden movement of shadows from the woods out towards the road would catch the attention of the Svefra woman. They were riding hard, fast, and right at her. Three of them, silent but for the pounding of hooves on the hard ground. It was aggressive, but why were they running at her?

Razkar and the Caravan

oocThere have been no rumors about the raids. This thread is the first in which they occur, and they are completely out of the blue as far as anyone in Syliras is concerned. Please keep this in mind. :)

The pounding of hooves was unmistakable. Quick moving, running to or from something. The relative silence that the caravan had enjoyed was interrupted as Razkar's trained senses were easily the first to pick them up. The road curved up ahead, hidden by the greenery and trees which dotted the path along the road. While they were somewhat sparse, it still provided enough of of an obstacle to prevent full view. The vegetation would only begin to grow thicker as the road grew closer to Syliras.

Tension in the caravan rose rapidly as realization of the action taking place spread throughout. Faces grew somber, hands found their ways to weapons, and the banter which had flown so freely only a few chimes before had vanished without a trace. There wasn't supposed to be any danger this close to Syliras. The Syliran Knights were the protectors. No one was stupid enough to challenge their authority within this distance of the city, right?

Crack

The breaking of a branch echoed off to the left of the road, very near to the caravan. They weren't alone, but who was there?

"It's gonna be a good time, huh, Myrian?" Mitchum still managed to keep that blasted upbeat attitude, despite the uncertainty of what they were to face.

Fubuki :
You've got a bit a freedom with what you want to do here. As you're a ghost and this doesn't affect you as directly, feel free to observe or interact with either of the scenarios going down.

Locked! :
This thread is no longer accepting any new entrances unless I at some point change this. Also, I've copied down the skills and ledgers from each of your inventories, effectively locking this as what you have available. Even if something changes them another thread, you will not have it available for the remainder of this quest. Thanks all! :)
Jackalope
Check out that bunny heat

Words: 128580
Joined roleplay: September 27th, 2012, 6:56 pm
Race: Staff account
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Razkar on June 16th, 2013, 8:54 pm

Something was out there. That was Razkar's first thought when he heard the familiar clip-clop of hooves. After he realized that was what they were, he amended that so someone, because wild horses weren't exactly common in the Bronze Woods.

But then his ears pricked and his brow slowly furrowed into a frown, excess sounds from the caravan, from plodding donkey steps to talking and chewing, all drowned out... and then he understood it was many someones were out there. Just beyond the trees.

The rest of the caravan soon came to the same conclusion, and Razkar felt a miasma of fearful uncertainty settle over them. The babble of conversations dried up in moments; the whisper of weapons unsheathed sighed from all directions. They were probably thinking the same as him, that who would dare attack a caravan this close to Syliras, domain of the vaunted Knights? Surely there had to be some mistake.

"It's gonna be a good time, huh, Myrian?" Mitchum said, smile a little more grim and if Razkar had been there, he would probably have noticed a dark undercurrent that told him the affable wagon driver had more experience with combat than he initially thought.

If.

"Myrian...?"

The human turned to Razkar and found the seat empty, then turned further, seeing the tattooed warrior scrambling over the tarp cover the barrels and boxes filling the cart, heading for his horse.

"What are you-"

"Bow!" Razkar barked over his shoulder, arriving at an equally-confused and spooked Mrrko and grasping the shortbow in his saddle. "Who is out there, too far for blades! Need bow!"

He had just enough time to close his fingers around the quiver of arrows, then a chill settled over him like Dira's tickles (as his mother used to say), and he whirled his head around.
Last edited by Razkar on June 19th, 2013, 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Words | Your Words | Myrian | Fratavan | My Thoughts
Razkar has been cursed by Yahal, and as such finds little acceptance from others; they will instinctively view him as being deceptive and traitorous. However, when close to one blessed by Yahal, the effect is negated. The curse is etched onto his left pectoral, and viewing the mark causes others to feel dirty and unclean.
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Words: 2242619
Joined roleplay: October 8th, 2012, 12:04 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 9
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Nalik Fallingleaf on June 16th, 2013, 10:04 pm

They had been traveling for a little while, Nalik did not know how long, his mind lost to the familiar sound of Rivains hooves hitting the ground and the unfamiliar tree's native to this part of Forrest. The distractions had been welcome and the young Drykas had almost managed to quell his raging imagination. Almost.

But now Kobus had signaled the small group to stop, probably because he had spotted what they were looking for, now it felt real. Nalik pulled gently on the hand grip indicating to Rivain that he wanted her to stop and he pulled up just behind Kobus, next to a Drykas female he had not met properly before.

Silence. Eyes straining he peered through the tree's trying to see why they had stopped. A woman. Alone. She was walking away from them, unaware of what was about to happen.

All eyes were on Kobus and Nalik felt a sudden tension enter the air.

This was it. This is when started. No going back now.

Nalik felt a little sick from nerves, his stomach doing somersaults. He had hated the waiting and wanted things to be started, but now it was he wasn't sure he was ready, the troublesome thought creeping over him threatening to swallow him whole. He shut his eyes and repeated the three sentences that had convinced him last time, his little mantra.

We need to do this.

We must do this.

You must do this.

He oppened his eyes again in time to see Kobus turn to face them. He signed in their language: Windsong. Fallingleaf. Blackmane. Capture her. We will scout. Guard.

So it was decided. He would be in the party to capture this woman. This would be the first new citizen of Endrykas. He nodded once to acknowledge that he understood the orders, as did the other two, and watched as Kobus and two other Drykas left leaving them alone. For now.

He glanced at his two comrades, both wore solemn expressions, and waited for Blackmane to start the pursuit. He closed his eyes again and took a long deep breath to steady his nerves, patting the side of Rivains neck as he opened his eyes, resolute once more. He nodded at Blackmane and as soon Windsong noted she was ready they were off.

Nalik spurred Rivain on trying to stick with Blackmane as closely as possible eyes locked onto his target. And for a moment he forget all of his moral issues, all off the inner battles he had had with himself. For as he crashed out of the tree line and towards his prey the familiar feelings of being on a hunt came rushing to him. First the stalking and now this, the hunting. Wind flying in his face, Rivain gliding beneath him, prey firmly in his sights. What had he been worried about, hunting was second nature too him and this was no different.

But what he hunted now was h-
No! Do not even say it, this is just another hunt, just with an unusual prey. You can do this.

You must do this

She must have seen them by now, they were riding hard and they were riding fast, hoof's crashing against the ground. He glanced at Blackmane and quickly pointed left, to signal that he would go to the left of the woman. He planned to ride left past her and get in front of her to cut off her escape routes

I am speaking to myself in my head ----- I am speaking out loud in Pavi ----- I am speaking in common
Nalik Fallingleaf
Player

Words: 46624
Joined roleplay: June 11th, 2013, 12:24 pm
Character sheet

Postby Akilah Windsong on June 17th, 2013, 3:05 am

Akilah brought Adámas to a stop with the others, slightly worn from the hard riding. She hadn't rode this long in a while and she shifted on the yvas to ease the discomfort. Looking around with tired eyes, Akilah spotted the woman walking away at a distance. A movement came from her right; Kobus giving instructions. Her name came up and she swallowed hard.

So, this was it. She was going to kidnap that woman. Was she ready? Akilah buried her head in Adámas' mane, breathing in the heavy scent of sweat. It was comforting and familiar. No, she probably wasn't ready. She wouldn't ever be.

Closing her eyes, she thought of the empty pavilions, the people moving further away from the city. Her home was splintering. The disease, this decision, all of it was breaking the one thing she thought was constant in this land of uncertainty. Would this make it worse? Would this make it better? She wasn't sure, but it would do something.

Akilah nodded her consent, looking at her two companions for once. She didn't know either of them. It made her next action easier. "Let's go," she signaled her partner to move.

Following the other two, she leaned forward as she rode, her eyes on the small target in the distance. The air rushed into her lungs as they moved, each breath coming a little harder than the last. This, this was familiar. The sound of thudding hooves, the sting of the wind, the sweat on her brow--this was hunting.

This wasn't like in the open fields, where her strider was a whisper in the grass. Her own footsteps silent and cautious, and a single twack before the animal fell dead. No, this was raw and violent, and she thought of the creation stories, of Zulrav at his angriest. "Zulrav," she mouthed as they moved.

"Zulrav." Again. And again. She timed it with the hoofbeats and ignored how the small figure grew more defined as they charged, at how this was a human who hadn't trespassed or harmed them.

"Zulrav," she breathed, and as she watched Fallingleaf go to the left, she signaled her movement to the right.

She had asked her father what the wind was like before. As she bore down on the young woman, she thought this was as close as she could get.
Akilah Windsong
Player

Words: 137515
Joined roleplay: May 5th, 2011, 4:02 am
Character sheet

Next