Closed [The Bronze Woods] III. Killing Ground

Razkar and his sellswords prepare their ambush

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Stretching northward along the coastline of the Suvan Sea, the Cobalt Mountains are the home of the Bronze Wood, numerous ruins, and creatures both strange and fantastical.

[The Bronze Woods] III. Killing Ground

Postby Razkar on June 13th, 2013, 12:30 am

Continued from here

6th Day of Summer
Half a mile west of the Sukina Geysers
13th Bell

The pack was leaderless, but they were not dead yet. Animals such as they always found a way to survive. The dynamic adapted, shifted, the hierarchy changed through challenge and subservience. By night they were eight... now they were six. Confused and angered, frightened and bereft of the strong leadership they needed... but they were not dead.

And they were deep within the Bronze Woods. For all wild creatures of Mizahar, that counted for a lot.

The new alpha - still bearing ugly marks where it had asserted its dominance over its most "vocal" rival - stopped in the clearing and sniffed the air. Around and behind it, six grey wolves did the same, waiting on their new leader's signal. They had journeyed east, hard and fast, escaping the shade that had slaughtered two of them with ease. Even though one of the strange human-wolves had saved them, they would not return to that territory. It was cursed, tainted in their eyes... no. They had to wander deeper and deeper into the Woods.

So they tread carefully.

The new alpha peered into the treeline... and with a quick series of barks and growls, ordered the pack to head south. Something was coming; a great many somethings, a sense-muddle of humans, which all the wolves knew, Kelvics, some race that stank of raw aggression, and...

A clipped, terrified yip ended the orders. At the sound of it, the six wolves moved from a trot to a headlong retreat, vanishing into the trees.

Even wolves knew what the dead smelled like. Especially when it had come close to killing them all.

"This looks like the place..."

The curling vines and thick shrubbery gave way, as if reluctantly, to a thin clearing before Razkar's eyes. He frowned, muttering in his own tongue and reaching for the map. It was rough and topographical details weren't exactly the cartogapher's main intention, but... yes... this looked familiar.

The Myrian stopped and, as one, the column stopped with him. If you could call it that. Traveling in two distinct groups, Kelvic scouts loping ahead of them, the mercenary band stalled in silence, eyes casting about at the trees, branches, even the leaves fluttering on the ground.

Razkar studied the map and looked to the east. He could smell the Geysers from here... hear them, too. The constant, soft crashing of water falling from the sky after being forced from the ground, like the spawn of a waterfall and a thunderstorm. It was to the east, too, and judging by the sun... yes, direct east.

"This is place." He spoke louder, voice carrying around the clearing but not beyond it, alerting his band to be ready. Their journey had been long and uneventful; marching through the brambles and detritus of the darkened jungle, stopping to sleep for only three bells. But now they had arrived at the site of their slaughter and payday, they were wide awake. "This is where we make ambush."

The Myrian cast his practiced and calm gaze around in a full circle. The clearing meandered like some ancient, overgrown road now covered by a thick carpet of leaves. But one could clearly see the wide thoroughfare between the trees. It wasn't straight, even or even completely flat... but it was there, and Razkar would wager that other travelers with carts and a desire for anonymity had used it before.

Bushes and shrubs were more scarce, though. The trees had taken all the nutrients and moisture from the ground, leaving precious little for the clustering vegetation that would have covered the ground in Falyndar up to your armpits.

Less places to hide, but the trees... yes, they should be wide enough. Distance across the clearing... perhaps forty yards. Easily enough for a crossfire.

"We split in two for ambush."

He spoke without preamble, gesturing first at one side of the rough trail, and then the other with his hands, fingers together and pointed like a blade.

"Ekvan, you and you people, make line that side. My people go this side."

Razkar looked up and saw the Kelvics had returned, Fubuki floating down from the treetops with a lighthearted giggle and, of course, her usual twirl.

"Kelvics and ghost, go to north. Mistress Fubuki? Stay high and away. Not let them see. Kelvics? Stay as wolf or dog or..." he stumbled for a moment and then finally shrugged "... whatever thing you are, yes? Better if caravan has scouts they see animals, not people."

Then he reached into his pocket and held up the letter for all to see, if not read.

"Caravan has four cart." He said, making sure they got every word. "Made like... like jail on wheel, yes? To keep slaves. Perhaps fifty slaves. Twenty sellsword left Ravok, but person who wrote this... wrote they may get more. So, they have more. But we have ambush, we have surprise."

The Myrian pocketed the letter and looked across the faces arrayed before him. He wished he knew the words to make them move smoother and surer, to make soldiers out of them, the breed he'd been used to dealing with in Falyndar. Goddess, it would have been so much easier... but without stress and strain and obstacles, victory was meaningless.

So say the priestesses. How many of them were leading sellswords in petching Syliras?

Razkar let his gaze fall on his band, one after the other. Ekvan would only question or insult him, and he had no patience for that.

"When caravan come and scouts see, Kelvics will be like shadow to caravan. Will ambush, too, but make sure no-one escape. Cover back, yes? Fubuki? You stay high, out of sight. I will fire first arrow. My side will... will draw wrath of caravan."

A ripple of surprise, shock and "oh, petch that for a bunch of bananas" went through the group... well, his group. Ekvan and his thgs just looked smug, as usual. Razkar raised a hand and went on, voice firm but somewhat understanding.

"First volley will kill men who drive carts. Stop carts, stop whole caravan, and that is point. Then aim at sellsword. And once they all look at us-" he pointed to Ekvan, who was nodding slowly, as if reluctantly "-Ekvan and his men will take them in back, when they not see. Will be slaughter... but for few chimes, all wrath of sellswords will be on us."

Razkar looked at them again, slowly, noting the change in their expressions. Now there was more shuffling, glances exchanged, grimaces, as if they were all waiting for someone to voice the opinion that they didn't sign up to be target practice.

Perhaps not, but you did sign up, and if that means you have to be a diversion, so be it.

The Myrian deliberately rested his eyes on Kyra, but his voice was directed at all.

"But if anyone had other plan, I will hear..."

OOCHere we are! This'll be a short one, getting everyone in position, and we'll end it with the opening salvo of the ambush. I think my plan's pretty easy to follow, but any questions, suggestions, anything at all, this is the place for it.
Last edited by Razkar on July 31st, 2013, 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Words | Your Words | Myrian | Fratavan | My Thoughts
Razkar has been cursed by Yahal, and as such finds little acceptance from others; they will instinctively view him as being deceptive and traitorous. However, when close to one blessed by Yahal, the effect is negated. The curse is etched onto his left pectoral, and viewing the mark causes others to feel dirty and unclean.
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Words: 2242619
Joined roleplay: October 8th, 2012, 12:04 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 9
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Fubuki Kouri on June 13th, 2013, 4:27 am

Na na na na~♪
One slaver got stabbed in the head~♪
Another one got pierced in the eye~♪
And the rest of them screamed lovingly~♪

Kouri sang a 'cheerful', albeit murderous, song in her head. She silently flew between the tree tops, acting as the eye in the sky for the land-dwellers below. Accompanied with her four metallic pets, her crimson eyes kept an eye out for anything out of the ordinary.

He... ehehehe~ she was feeling mischievous so when she saw a squirrel carrying an acorn high in a tree branch, Kouri jutted out another tendril and snatched the acorn from the poor rodent. The squirrel yipped in confusion, its meal for the day was gone, right in front of its eyes.

Kouri then threw the acorn, aiming it at a certain pale male Kelvic's head, Sir Solin. *Twack!* The small impact made a satisfying sound. "Usihihihihihi~" Kouri put her right hand to stifle her giggle, thinking of various interesting reactions the Kelvic might have.

Kouri quickly flew higher to avoid any possible angry remarks from the Kelvic. She passed the tree tops and got a clear view of the Bronze Woods. "Hm?" She heard sounds of bursting water and looked to the east, she then saw a peculiar location; the Sukina Geysers.

Oho~ I'll make sure to take Rena there someday~ Kouri deliberately didn't bring Rena with her today. Her little sister would not find the act of massacring a group of slavers to be interesting even though they were evil people.

Yesterday night, when Kouri made a quick visit to the Traveler's Row; Rena wished Kouri good luck and made her promise to return safely. How did Kouri managed to visit the Row even though the party departed yesterday night? Well she just asked a mercenary to keep her weapons, launched herself to the Traveler's Row in a straight line; phasing through people and objects, gave Rena a quick good-bye, and flew straight back to the party.

Kouri descended to the tree tops and found the party stopping in their tracks. Hm? Are we here? Kouri concluded so and she floated down, giggling and twirling like a ballerina. She made an elegant landing motion, stopping just a few inches from actually touching the ground. Her four chakrams spinning happily at her shoulders. She then joined the briefing.

"Oh! Stay up and hide? Got it! Ehehehe~" Kouri also put both of her hands to each side of her cheeks and slowly swayed her head side to side, embarrassed and happy at the same time. She truly loved being called 'Mistress' by the veteran warrior. The people she held in high regard calling her with a respectable title.

She continued listening to the explanation and found anger building within her. Ohoho... those slavers... you will die, all of you will petching die... She would direct all of her hatred to the people who used their power to oppress others.

When the briefing finished, Kouri had the thought on why should Razkar's party be the one who take the initial retaliation; why not those stinky poos do it instead? But she held her tongue, knowing Razkar must have already planned this. He was a veteran warrior after all.

Kouri gave a final nod and hungry smile at the party then she shot upwards and sat on a rather concealed tree branch, ready to strike at any time should the moment arrived.

"common" | "vani" | thoughts

Important Note: I'm not accepting new threads unless I promised you beforehand, I'm sorry for any inconveniences caused.
Fubuki Kouri
The Sorceress' Daughter

Words: 784291
Joined roleplay: March 31st, 2013, 1:42 pm
Race: Ghost
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 2

Postby Daelyn Caliban on June 14th, 2013, 2:00 am

The spot seemed like it had been chosen well enough. Daelyn was just glad they were there. He was ready to get their bloody business underway. Not just ready; he was excited for it. Anticipation sharpened his senses. Every breaking branch or distant bird call had his eyes darting to their location. He'd kept his hand on the hilt of his sword the entire time.

He watched Razkar take out the letter, and listened as he detailed both their plan and their opposition. Petchin' lot of guards. According to Razkar's source there'd be at least twenty. All the reason to fight harder. Every dead slaver was a good deed in his mind. The more the petchin' merrier.

His eyes widened slightly upon hearing that their merry little band would bear the full brunt of the caravan guards, even if it was only for a few moments. He looked up and down the line he was in, eyes just barely moving from side to side. Would they be able to withstand the guards? Or would they be rolled over like rocks in the riverbed? Guess he'd find out when push came to shove.

"Should sharpen some logs. Petchers come charging, meet 'em with a gutful of stake. Even the odds a little bit. It's not hard, and it doesn't take more than a few chimes."

Even if they ended up overwhelmed, it'd make Ekvan's life easier. Not that Daelyn particularly cared about how easy Ekvan's life was, but he was on edge and rationalizing his own ideas helped him stay focused. He crossed his arms in front of his body, mark shining dully, and leaned back against one of the trees.

If they didn't like his idea, fine. No skin off of his nose. He was just trying to give them all the best chance of walking out alive.

And not in need of my other services.
Daelyn Caliban
Player

Words: 27466
Joined roleplay: May 26th, 2013, 8:59 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Solin on June 14th, 2013, 4:36 am

Solin knew he made a error in judgment when another projectile hit him in the back of the head. This time the ghostly terror decided to add some velocity into her throw. The kelvic yelped and whirled around and looked up at the mischievous ghost. He just shook his head and said loudly to her with a shyte grin on his face, “One day Fubuki! Oh yes.. it will be a glorious day indeed!” Solin reacted down, picked up the acorn, and tucked it away in his pocket. The kelvic had a evil smile on his face as he walked as he thought of different ways to get back at the playful spirit. Solin knew he brought it on himself, and he looked over at the blond woman next to him and said with a smirk, “If I can go back in time, I should have thought my plan through when I gave Fubuki permission to throw things at me.” The trip to the Geyser wasn't as exciting as Solin thought it would be. However, the ghost seemed to fill her boredom by throwing random things at him. He was hit by pebbles, acorns, and pine cones during their travels, and it got to the point where he had to weave in and out of trees to avoid the flying objects. He didn't mind though since she was just a child, and it was good for children to have someone to play with. Also, the kelvic could care less what the other mercenaries thought of him for entertaining their ghostly companion. He was still doing his job at the same time as scout, and the ghost seemed to stop when he started scouting ahead of the group, so it made his job a lot easier.

When the party made it to the geysers, Razkar started to explain the plan to the group, and Solin stood their in silence as he listened to myrian. It was a sound plan, and he didn't have any questions, but he decided to let Razkar know, “I bought a score of flaming arrows, Razkar. I am not sure if you will have any use for them, but if you want me to use them, I will. You just need to tell me the target or targets.” The kelvic loved the idea of changing into his wolf form to shadow the approaching caravan. His eyes seemed to brighten at the possibility of shifting. It been over a week since his last shifted, so he is kind antsy to shed his human form. He wanted to stay in wolf form throughout the fight, but he knew it wouldn't be a smart idea against most likely well armed mercenaries. Solin was silent for the rest of the meeting, and he watched Fubuki fly into a tree when it was done. The kelvic walked over to the tree and looked up into the canopy, and he called up to the ghost with a smile, “I am thinking of buying a helmet if I am a around you, Fubuki!” He smiled up at the ghost child and said with a respectful nod, “Good luck and happy hunting...” Solin knew the ghost girl didn't need to be careful, but it was the gesture that counted the most.

Solin started to take off his armor and weapons, and he looked up at the Razkar, Kyra, Kaie, and Daylin. As he took off his shirt and said to them with his voice slightly muffled by his shirt, “If I don't come back most likely I am dead..” He put his shirt on the ground, and he started to unbuckle his pants and continued, “..so I hope you all enjoy my share of the profit.” He slipped off his pants, his undergarments, and he picked up his up his armor and weapons. He looked over at the mercenaries and back to his party, and he said softy, “Please don't let any of them rummage through my stuff while I am gone.”[color=#e7e7e7 Now completely naked, he gave them all a respectful nod as he stashed his equipment behind a tree and under a bush. When he was ready, he came out from behind the tree and shifted. In a swirl of bright colorful lights, the pale human was replaced by a large white wolf with bright blue eyes. The wolf have them another quick nod before Solin darted into the woods.[/color]
Solin
My Life is my Own

Words: 77566
Joined roleplay: May 20th, 2013, 12:06 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

Postby Kyra on June 16th, 2013, 6:51 pm

Patience was something that the young kelvic was still learning, and in some situations it was easier to follow than others. However, on this day it would see that she would have enough entertainment to last a few chimes. Kouri was flying around the tree tops as if she were some sort of kite or a bird. Kyra had only met one ghost in her time, and she didn't know much about him at all other than the fact that he was very angry. The ghost had floated off the ground a few inches, but nothing more. Kouri on the other hand, was flying around with invisible wings and was as happy as she could be. She was a very interesting girl.

Just as she had imagined would happen, Kouri started to pelt Solin with things and in truth, he had asked her to do so. She found it funny watching the man yelp and stumbling about while claiming to exact justice upon the girl at a later date. Kyra really found it curious when the blonde man picked up an acorn and placed it inside his pocket. It seemed that he wasn't used to seeing ghost either, otherwise he would know that a normal acorn couldn't touch the girl, unless he had contact with her, which would also ruin the element of surprise, if he intended it that way. Though these were all assumptions, and even this she wasn't certain about.

Kyra glanced towards Solin when he started to speak to her. He was eager to please it seemed, and very friendly, which wasn't all together a bad thing. "You're..going back..in time?" she asked curiously. It was the first time that she had ever heard anyone use such a phrase and didn't know how to reply. "I can't say for sure..but I don't believe the acorn will reach her."

Once they had reached the supposed raid point, Kyra gathered around with the others as they listened to the plan of attack. Everyone appeared to be excited and ready for action and she was as well. She tilted her head and stared at the tattooed man when he gave her his orders. She didn't say a word, only glanced down at the full leather armor that she wore, with the bow and quiver strapped to her back and the two daggers at her belt. Did he really expect her to strip down and fight without all of the weapons that she had purposely brought with her?

It didn't make sense, and enough though shifting was fast, there wouldn't be enough time to get dressed and grab her weapons to fight with. Kyra was still new to the art of war, but after one battle that almost killed her, she knew enough not to expect things to go as planned. But there Solin was, stripping naked the moment that he was told to. Kyra stared at him in awe, he too had brought weapons, and now he wouldn't likely get to use them.

"I don't have a problem being a diversion. But I'm not sure changing is the best idea. In the time that I have been here, I've seen people out here hunting...and even camping. I suppose it's normal in these parts, but..if he changes and they see him..they will attack him." She glanced back towards the man again and saw that he had stripped completely naked already.

"Then again...what do I know."

Kyra
Strength is meaning

Words: 516587
Joined roleplay: June 1st, 2012, 6:39 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Kaie on June 18th, 2013, 3:37 pm

The entire time since she had greeted Razkar, Kaie had remained relatively quiet. Only nodding in acknowledgement to the comrades who had shown up. It said something about them, maybe not their ethics considering the job, but she could tell they were loyal and dependable enough. Trust wasn't quite in the equation yet, but she wasn't so certain one of them had a dagger specifically to dig into her back when the fight got confusing. Well, let's not rule that scenario out completely just yet. Regardless, she eyed each of them. Understanding the importance of finding strengths and weaknesses within one's one force, not just the enemy's. What Kaie might see immediately as a weakness would be something an intelligent enemy would capitalize on upon discovery. Slavers had a reputation as the scum of the earth as far as these barbarians had voiced. Kaie herself had met a few and those she met would have told every lie under the sun to save their own necks. False information, promises, and rewards. All of that was common.

Now ideas were being roused from the group. Daelyn was talking about traps. Kaie liked that idea. Solin was headed out to scout and such, and his fellow Kelvic voiced her opposition in a passive manner. Still, Kaie thought and considered each equally. Weighed their suggestions in her head, played the scenarios through. Of course the Myrian woman wasn't as experienced with such ambushes as Razkar was, so naturally his voice would hold the most weight. Leader of the organization or no, his prowess was undeniable. Even if he had been one of them, the replaceable soldiers, his skills would've probably earned him a higher position by default.

"Wolf in the woods. Not uncommon. Not usually a desired target since most barbarians hunt for food this far out. Should be alright if he doesn't make his presence known. Flaming arrows? Maybe. You could use them to light their carts on fire, that is if you don't mind burning the slaves alive. Could be used to trap the caravan in a single area for us to attack. It would create a lot of confusion and panic. Need fuel to create the boundary though," She started with a shrug, trying to address each good idea and well thought out opinion. Casually, she rested her hand on the hilt of her blade, mulling words about her mind. Forming her own ideas even. "I like the trap idea as well. Let them lead themselves right into the path of the booby trap. If the head slaver lead the caravan, we'd catch him on the end of the spear maybe. Remove the king pin. All good ideas, but we don't know size of crew and their weapons. Let alone structure. If Kouri, Solin, or another scout could catch sight of their group, we may be able to form a more reliable plan. Unless you have something more solid up your sleeve, Razkar?" She finished with a question, turning her attention to the tattooed Myrian man who knew more than they did. Kaie was prepared to enact on any plan they decided on as long as no hesitation was involved. Hesitation was more fatal than any sword.

OOC:Sorry for the delay, everyone! Thanks for waiting! :)

Kaie
Player

Words: 1635197
Joined roleplay: May 9th, 2013, 3:13 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
One Million Words! (1) Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Razkar on June 18th, 2013, 10:23 pm

Solin was already peeling off his clothes when the blonde female spoke, and Razkar reminded himself again that of course they couldn't wear clothes as animals, could they?

"I don't have a problem being a diversion. But I'm not sure changing is the best idea. In the time that I have been here, I've seen people out here hunting...and even camping. I suppose it's normal in these parts, but..if he changes and they see him..they will attack him."

Razkar nodded slowly, not so arrogant in his role as commander to know when he was wrong. But, then again...

"That is why I send you with him." He said carefully, favoring her with a half-smile. "You stay as form you are now. Follow him. Watch him. Like say before, he has... ideas. Some good, some bad. Need someone to watch him."

The Myrian watched as Ekvan directed his little knot of mercenaries, talking as he unlimbered his bow.

"When he or you or both see caravan, come back and tell, give warning so we be ready. When done that, both of you stay where caravan came from. Hit guards in back when battle starts. And-"

"Then again...what do I know."

Razkar felt his jaw tighten and a little more ice crept into his eyes when he turned his gaze back to the Kelvic. The tiny smile his lips quirked into was utterly without mirth, and he leaned forward a touch.

"I think you know much. Not act like you don't, female. Make stupid Myrian angry and make harder for battle. Go and follow boy. Do your job."

With that he turned away and left her to it. He had no time for passive-aggressive females today; there'd be enough to worry about when a caravan-load of armed and armored guards came trotting out of the woods. Fortunately, there was one female he could depend on today, he was sure of it.

A fellow Child of Myri.

He listened to her idea about the flaming arrows with his brow furrowed in thought, then shook his head.

"We don't have the time to get the fuel, and we're not burning the slaves." A glint, a sudden and evasive look in his eye told Kaie it was not because he was worried for their safety, but he smothered it quickly, words of the Smoker still fresh in his mind. "We'll take them alive. Then again..."

He turned his head and narrowed his eyes at the front of the clearing, where the caravan would pass. It would be a good idea, preventing the carts from bolting forwards, but the horses would be terrified...

"Make a line that will catch easily there-" he pointed in a rough line that would create a barricade of flames to the approaching cart "-and be ready with the flame arrow. We'll need to have that fire up fast, stop them escaping to the front. The carts won't have the time or the space to turn around once the battle starts, and we'll shoot down the drivers first."

"I like the trap idea as well. Let them lead themselves right into the path of the booby trap. If the head slaver lead the caravan, we'd catch him on the end of the spear maybe. Remove the king pin. All good ideas, but we don't know size of crew and their weapons. Let alone structure. If Kouri, Solin, or another scout could catch sight of their group, we may be able to form a more reliable plan. Unless you have something more solid up your sleeve, Razkar?"

Instead of some devilish smile or mysterious grin, Razkar just shrugged his shoulders, eyes still fixed on their killing ground.

"We know how many they are, what they have and roughly when they will come. We'll prepare this area and get ourselves hidden. The scouts will alert us, and then... our plan will go completely to hell and we'll have to roll with it." Now he smiled, Myrian to Myrian, both of them remembering what they were told in Taloba. "Plans are all well and good, but battle always changes them. We'll do the best we can. Get started on that tinder for the fire line, and have an arrow ready. Remember, get it ready to start on flint, not from a fire. We can't have the smoke giving us away."

The female nodded curtly and trotted off, as familiar with following orders as anyone who'd served with the Taloba Army. Then, of all people, the human spoke up with an idea about stakes. Razkar raised a hand to wave away the idea... but then remembered there would be cavalry, mounted guards...

"Could... Be good idea..." He spoke slowly, then flickered a glance at Ekvan and his men. "Get two of them to help. Make stakes but short. Have them too long, they stick in ground too high, enemy see them, enemy be warned by them."

The Myrian strode into the middle of the killing ground, turning slowly so he could see both sides of the impromptu trail. Both sides were slightly raised, so they would be firing down into the caravan... and from some cover provided by elevation.

"Have them just before where trees start-" he said, pointing with both arms at the sides of the clearing where the trees were and the bushes were thickest "-that is where we will wait for ambush. If enemy on horse charge, horses feet go into spikes. Not good. Get going."

He knew Ekvan wouldn't be too happy with Daelyn hijacking two of his men, but he also knew the brutish thug would fucking lump it, too. Razkar was in charge, and if Ekvan obeyed his orders (for now), his men certainly would.

OOCOK, nearly there! Solin, Kyra or both of you can post getting ahead and seeing the caravan approaching. Report that back to the others, and I'll finish it off, posting a final post detailing the ambush ready... and then sprung. Then we can get on to Part IV!
Razkar has been cursed by Yahal, and as such finds little acceptance from others; they will instinctively view him as being deceptive and traitorous. However, when close to one blessed by Yahal, the effect is negated. The curse is etched onto his left pectoral, and viewing the mark causes others to feel dirty and unclean.
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Solin on June 19th, 2013, 4:30 am

Solin didn't go to far into the woods because he waited for the blond woman to follow him. Sitting on his hunches, he waited for any signs of the woman presence before continuing on his journey. When he saw her, the large white wolf gave her a respectful nod of his head. He wasn't going to bother shifting to talk to her since they both knew their assignment. He stood up on all fours, walked over to her, and sniffed her leg. He wanted to know her scent just in case the kelvic needed assistance. It might be strange to human, but to him, it was a good way to keep tabs on people especially in the forest. He looked her, opened his mouth, and started to pat letting his tongue hang out to his side mouth. When motioned her follow with his head, and he started to run slowly through the underbrush. Solin knew the other kelvic was accustomed to being out in the wild, so he didn't see a need for them to grouped together. Beside, it will be easier for them to be spotted by hunters, or even scouts from the caravan. Solin was moving quickly through the forest, but he wasn't moving fast enough to cause a commotion or attract attention to himself.

As Solin moved through the forest, he kept sniffing the air around him to see if he can smell any smells not natural to the forest. Still moving, he saw a deer eating a some leaves from a tree on the side of clearing, and he slowed his pace not wanting to startle the woodland creature. He hide behind a bush, and suddenly, he heard the wind blow in the direction of the deer, so he quickly walked out behind the bush knowing his smell will be upwind of the deer. He made sure, he avoided any unnecessary twigs, sticks, or fallen leaves that could alert the deer to his presence. When he safely made it past the deer, he sniffed the air for the scent of his companion, and he could tell the other kelvic wasn't to far away from him. He started to trot through the woods since he didn't want to tire himself out before getting to the caravan. While, he ran through the woods, Solin thought of a way to scout out the caravan, and he decided to stick to the thicket or find higher ground. He had no reason to sneak up on them since all he needed was to find out if they are coming like the myrian said. He was sure the human's intelligence was correct, so he continued running through the forest.

After a bell of traveling, Solin stopped behind a tree when he smelt the strong aroma of horses and the body odor of humans approaching from the south. He decided to keep his distance from the smell, and he decided to lay down underneath a some thicket. When he was in position, he put his head on his front legs to him as low as possible. If any of them saw him, they would see a wolf resting in the woods nothing more. Solin knew being this close to Taldera that wolves from the north lands would come south to hunt the Bronze Woods. Solin watched underneath his bush as the wagons rolled by off in the distance. The sound of men, horses, and dogs were loud in the crisp morning air. Solin counted four caged wages full of slaves of all races and a covered wagon in the back of the caravan. The kelvic spotted two armored men on horseback, but he figured they would have more. It was a noisy group, and they seemed to not care about hiding their position. When the caravan passed, Solin moved out of the thicket, and he decided to head back to the killing ground, but he decided to take a round about way, so he wasn't to close to the approaching caravan, and the smell of the dogs.

The Wolf kelvic knew the other kelvic can take care of herself, so he ran back to camp alone. When he ran back into camp, he went straight to Razkar. He didn't want to sneak up to him, so he walked into his sight line. Solin glanced around, and he saw the other mercenaries were busy setting their traps. When he was close enough to Razkar, he shifted in a brilliant swirl of colors, and the wolf was replaced by the pale young man, and he nodded to Razkar and said in common, “Your intelligence was correct, Sir. They are approaching our position with five wagons. The front four wagons are filled with slaves, but the last wagon was covered, so I assume it has their supplies, but I could be wrong too.” Solin shivered slightly in the crisp wind and said plainly, “I am sorry. I didn't want to get close enough to see how many mercenaries; they have, but I saw two mercenaries on horse back from my vantage point, so I assume they will have more.”

Solin crossed his arms over his chest, and he said softly, “The blond kelvic woman should be here shortly. Maybe she had a better vantage point than I, but I thought I heard the sound of dogs with the caravan too.” When he was finished, he looked at Razkar and asked, “Would you like me to stay in wolf form during the battle, or would you like to change into my armor and use my bow? Or I can fight in my cloak, so I can shift at a moments notice and still use my bow.” Solin looked around for a moment and said modestly, “Sorry for all the questions, Razkar. I wanted ask your opinion since you are the veteran warrior here.” The kelvic didn't want to show weakness to the myrian, but he knew Razkar had far more experience in battles than the kelvic had seen in his short lifetime. His father told him to try to learn everything you could from people with more experience, so he could become a better man in the future.
Last edited by Solin on June 20th, 2013, 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Solin
My Life is my Own

Words: 77566
Joined roleplay: May 20th, 2013, 12:06 am
Character sheet

Postby Kyra on June 19th, 2013, 5:50 pm

Kyra smiled at Razkar, the same pleasant smile that she had before. It seemed that he was tired of her. She found it strange, he asked if there were questions, if others had ideas, and now he was upset because of the way she phrased it. He was the touchy type and probably wasn't used to working with others either. However, this was his mission and he was supposed to pay them, coin in which he had yet to define. But, if it would make things easy on him, she supposed that she could play along as the good little kelvic that he thought she should be.

"I didn't mean to be difficult at all. That was not my intention, we were talking and well...I supposed I've said enough." She shrugged her shoulders lightly, then shrugged them again as she bit her lip. She always found it interesting the way humans were always shrugging their shoulders as they spoke. As if their words alone weren't enough to convey what they felt. "If I'm allowed to say one last thing....You need to lighten up. I assure you that you won't survive around here for long without a sense of humor."

With that, she was off, lightly bouncing on the heels of her boots as she made her way towards the other kelvic. She was supposed to watch him, and she could already tell that wasn't going to be fun. Kyra really didn't like dogs, never had sense she was little, and this one couldn't sit still for three ticks it appeared. Kyra sighed and followed along, staying her hand from her blade when he moved closer and sniffed her leg. The young kelvic had sniffed others herself and in return she had been sniffed, but this was a dog.

At some point Kyra fell back and Solin ran off on his own again. It wasn't a problem as of yet, and she could easily find him by his oder. Her main thoughts were on keeping herself hidden and making as little noise as possible. Blonde hair wasn't a normal thing to see in the area she had learned, and she surely stood out in the forest if anyone were to see her. Of course the same could be said about a white wolf racing around in a sea of green. But it was too late for her to tell this to Solin, not that he would have listened anyway.

After a bell of following Solin, a few new smells wafted into her nose and she crouched low to the ground. Kyra slowly crept along keeping her head low and eyes watching the horizon as she moved closer. From where she hid, she could see the four caravans and horsemen riding up front a few paces ahead and behind them. Something bothered her about the arrangement. For a group of sellswords traveling with slaves, there were very few of them. With so little odds, the slaves could take them. Perhaps some would die, but others would get free. Then the idea hit her, and Kyra sat down and ran the information through her mind a few times.

Suddenly her golden eyes widen as she was graced with the realization, or at least what she thought. But this was cut short by another smell, and for a moment she thought that Solin had returned. They had dogs with them, of all things...dogs. This wasn't good, and she had to wonder how long it would take them to get wind of the group of humans huddled together waiting to ambush them. Kyra slipped off and returned to the camp where she found that Solin had returned and already informed Razkar of his findings.

"I think we may have a problem. " She started as she walked towards the two. "I've been thinking, we have sellswords traveling in Syliran territory and I didn't see as many of them as I thought there would be. I'm wondering if one or more of those carts are actually filled with mercenaries just in case of an ambush." She waited to see what either would have to say and would follow along with whatever was decided.

Kyra
Strength is meaning

Words: 516587
Joined roleplay: June 1st, 2012, 6:39 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Razkar on June 20th, 2013, 1:15 am

The killing ground was fast becoming exactly that under Razkar's watchful eye. And, because he knew leaders who just strutted and barked orders gained no respect and usually ended up on their own men's swords, it was by his hand, too.

He helped Daelyn and the press-ganged human mercenaries carve two dozen or so short stakes, using his gladius to sharpen the points like miniature spears. The four of them walked back and forth on either side of the clearing where they would ambushing from, planting the stakes in the ground wherever the Myrian pointed.

Nearly a bell after the two Kelvics vanished into the undergrowth, Razkar was examining their handiwork... and was satisfied. The twin rows of stakes were angled to spear through knees and legs, but any horses or running humans wouldn't see them until they had to skid to a stop, or got impaled. From the middle of the clearing where the caravan would pass, Razkar could barely see them.

The Myrian smiled wolfishly. It was almost a shame he wouldn't be using them, personally.

His hands caressed the bone hilts at his waist, trembling softly through their runes and suppressed djed. So long since he had drank in battle... so long since they had been properly wetted... and he would not satisfy his Goddess-Queen with cowardly arrows from fifty feet away, effective though they might be.

Razkar smiled even wider as he felt the reassuring weight in the saddlebag over his shoulder. That had been under wraps for too long, as well, and he could feel what was hidden there hissing and snarling to see light again.

Soon... soon...

Suddenly there was a burst of movement and two figures exploded from the treeline, one animal and one human. Razkar's gaze flared as they approached and an ocean of raw information illuminated him.

He let Solin speak first, words tumbling over themselves like a pack of eager children. He knew Kyra would doubtless mirror or correct the younger male, eyes keener for sure, but Solin had to feel like he was contributing. He knew enough about leading men that if you made them feel worthless, they wouldn't see a point to fighting for you.

And who could blame them?

“Would you like me to stay in wolf form during the battle, or would you like to change into my armor and use my bow? Or I can fight in my cloak, so I can shift at a moments notice and still use my bow."

"No. Stay as human and use you bow. Shoot wagon drivers, then sellswords." Razkar rapped off his orders quickly, already looking past Solin to the clearing, imagining the horsemen, the wagons, the dogs... "Do not change unless have to. Kill more, damage more with bow and sword."

The Kelvic's last words were not intelligence or questions, but by their tone Razkar knew they demanded his attention... so he turned to gaze at him fully. His eyes did not soften, for this was not the time or place for that. But he did lower his head a tad so the heat of his gaze fixed the Kelvic.

"Good you ask. Almost best way to learn. But soon, battle come. Men fight. Men die. That will be best way to learn. Have orders." He jerked his head to the side of the clearing that Kaie and Daelyn were already hidden behind. "Get to place."

The Kelvic darted off but within a chime another stood there, fully-clothed and breathing a little harder. Her words were clipped and clear, further telling him that she'd been a soldier in another life-

-especially when she started off with the words "we have a problem".

Soldiers the world over: eternal fucking pessimists...

Razkar's frown deepened as what she'd seen and surmised became clear in his head. Four wagons but only a handful of guards... no, that wasn't his information at all, and spoke to the trickery Kyra had alluded to. Dgs, too... that would be an issue. But one they would just have to deal with.

He thought briefly of Fubuki, for some reason as insane as her. Well, she did want bones from a wolf. Guess dogs will have to do...

"Good eyes, better mind." Razkar said, seeing a ripple of surprise at the compliment. But before she could reply he jerked his head at the same direction he did for Solin, wanting to get their line ready. "Go with others. Get bow ready. Soon we make trap... now add bait. But you use arrow and bow."

Grasping but perhaps not entirely understanding, Kyra trotted off and Razkar barked out a few words in his own tongue. Kaie trotted up to him like a good soldier and by the time she'd come to a stop, Razkar had started speaking.

"I need you to trust me, mistress, for you are to be the bait in our trap. Strip yourself of obvious weapons and armor." His eyes roved down here but not hotly, lasciviously, more like... an engineer observing a faulty construction. "Bare your legs and make a couple of shallow cuts, enough to draw blood. I want you in the middle of the clearing playing the part of the lost, wounded female for when the caravan arrives. The slavers will not be able to resist, and if they can, at least their attention will be on you. The blood may also mask the scent of the others to the dogs they have."

A riot of emotions rampaged across her face and Razkar stepped forwards, earnest gaze impressing on her along with his hand on her shoulder.

"I know I ask much, but the barbarians here think all women weak. If it were a male out there, they would be suspicious. But a female... works. The others are better with bows, too, and we will need their arrows. Get yourself ready."

Razkar left Kaie to it, knowing that she would go about her task with her usual Myrian stoicism. He raised his voice a little higher to Ekvan and his band of thugs, hidden on the other side of the clearing, would hear along with his own band.

"When caravan stop... when they see female... I will fire first arrow! When you see hit, everyone else fire!" He turned his face upwards, barely seeing the shimmering form of Fubuki dancing among the branches. "Mistress Fubuki?! When see ambush start, begin your game!"

The Myrian turned to Kaie one more time, feeling an uncomfortable knot in his chest. Wind didn't so much rush as it did meander through the leaves and trees, rustling them like a disapproving murmur from the crowd. He nodded to her one more time, whispering in their own tongue one more time.

"Myri guide your hand..."

"... and Dira your blades."

With that final and ancient farewell, Razkar jogged to where Solin, Kyra and Daelyn crouched in cover, bows and weapons ready behind the stakes. He drew his own bow, notched an arrow... and waited... eyes fixed on Kaie as she prepared her act... ears twitching... listening...

... as the first faint and distant sounds of cart wheels began their approach...

OOCWe're nearly there! Kaie, you can post up to the caravan arriving and stopping and, if you like, gutting the first merc that comes to close to you. Then I will make a final post and we will start the ambush PROPER in Part IV.
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Next