Hunting by Numbers(Hunting Party)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is Falyndar at its finest. Danger lurks everywhere - in the ground, in the trees, in the bush. Only the strongest survive...

Moderator: Gossamer

Postby Miharu Mindi on January 25th, 2011, 11:22 am

"Make a trap," Miharu said from across the clearing, back in her human form and wrapped up in her sarong. She was busy trying to braid her wet hair out of her way, and was annoyed enough with it to seriously consider just cutting it all off. "A pit trap, with spikes and such. These are creatures of habit, yes? Figure out where the Alpha goes each day, and spook him while he's there. You'll see which way he runs to get back to his pack. Put the pit in his path, cover it well, and he'll blunder into it. Or we could just herd him where we want, if we can keep him out of the trees. He's the last one up, though remember? We can use that. And pit traps are a son of a bitch," she muttered, leaving off the braiding to rub at an old scar. She knew first-hand, after all. Fucking Jaeden.

And I am dreaming of them with their kill
Tearing it all apart
Blood dripping from their lips
And teeth sinking into heart
Miharu Mindi
Player

Words: 165248
Joined roleplay: March 14th, 2010, 7:08 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Postby Siiri on January 29th, 2011, 12:38 pm

"That could work," Siiri acknowledged her bondmate suggestion with a nod before continuing, "but the weather will make it difficult for us. None of us are expert trappers and I do not recall any natural ravine nearby which we can use for such a thing."

Pulling out her knife, the warrioress tugged at a thin vine from a nearby tree and cut off two strips from it with the blade, each about a foot of in length. She made her way towards Miharu and motioned for the Kelvic to turn around. She gathered the girl's long locks in her hands and, rather than braid it which would have taken quite a while to finish, Siiri just tied it with the vine strips in two places - one at the base of Miharu's skull and the other near the end of the girl's hair. She fashioned the knots so that it was firm but easy to undo with a single pull, should Miharu desire to revert back to her wolf form. She turned her bondmate around to face her to check her handiwork before patting the girl on the cheek, her touch lingering on Miharu's face a moment before letting her go.

"We'll put off making nay definite plans until you've done your observations," Siiri said, turning to Seyp. "You have three days."
Apologies to everyone I'm threading with, but it's like the Danaides for me right now.
==/==
"If it doesn't solve all your problems, maybe you're not using enough of it." - Violence
Siiri
Beast of Prey

Words: 521753
Joined roleplay: September 18th, 2009, 3:22 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Miharu Mindi on May 2nd, 2011, 4:27 pm

OOC: So... are we abandoning this? I need some XP for my character in all honesty, so I wouldn't mind just having this graded if we're not gonna do anything else with it.

And I am dreaming of them with their kill
Tearing it all apart
Blood dripping from their lips
And teeth sinking into heart
Miharu Mindi
Player

Words: 165248
Joined roleplay: March 14th, 2010, 7:08 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Donor (1)

Postby Seyp on May 9th, 2011, 11:58 pm

Seyp slowly pulled his pack open, rooting through it as he retrieved a small handful of field rations. Having used Auristics for the time he had left him fatigued, and he still had a full day ahead of him. “I will leave the rest of you to discuss possible options for now.” Seyp then said, his voice barely audible above the sound of heavy rain. “I will in the mean time begin my observations.”

Seyp then slipped his upper vest off, laying it to the ground next to his pack. “If I have not returned by this time tomorrow, consider me to have perished in the jungle and anything in my living quarters available to all of you as compensation.” Seyp then said as he began trudging through the thick vegetation once again.

His hand began unwrapping the field rations, which consisted of several sliced of dried jerky meat and an assortment of nuts and berries. There was a subtle hint of hunger nagging at his stomach, despite the larger meal he had feasted on before the group had even met up and set out. It was one of the small, small drawbacks to personal magic. And so Seyp feasted once again, hoping the rations he ate would sate him for at least the day, and his energy would return. Already he could feel the strain in his eyes, that dull ache that seemed to linger just behind the eyes themselves, forcing him to want to just shut them and sleep for a while. He had work to do, however, and he could not waste the day.

As he came up to the nesting grounds once again, crawling on his belly as he had previous times, Seyp began to contemplate ways of gaining reactions from the Kisthkin. He contemplated such as he began to observe them, especially the Alpha now, in natural behavior and surroundings. The first bell went by with nothing more than just simple grooming, sleeping and eating. Most of them ate the natural wild berries or vegetation that would give them sustenance. A lucky Kisthkin would find a large beetle to feast on, while others caught small rodents or other mammals. Overall, the animal was omnivorous, and not very picky.

The next hour found Seyp casually moving around the perimeter of their nesting grounds, making various animal calls, and then gauging their reaction to it. It was often the same thing, no matter the type of predatory animal he tried to mimic. Several warning cries would be echoed out among the troupe as all of them would begin to climb the trees, the alpha standing guard for the incoming predators. On one occasion, Seyp sacrificed one of his throwing knifes, throwing it strait down at the alpha as it imbedded into the ground, causing him to shift back a couple of steps before thrashing at it, knocking it aside in almost confusion before finally taking to the trees itself.

One observation that Seyp had finally discovered was the fact that the troupe always sought shelter from the rain, and avoided even shallower puddles that had formed around their nesting grounds. They hated the water, and apart from drinking, often avoided becoming to wet by any means they could. Over half of the day had passed already before Seyp had finally decided on a little rest, dragging himself off the ground and making his way back by another fifteen yards before clawing his way up into one of the trees to keep himself out of reach of a majority of the lad predators. It was likely three bells into sleep that Seyp had caught another stroke of luck. A Myrian tiger had been on the prowl, young and not quite as large as the several he had laid eyes upon back in Taloba. It had charged in, letting out a momentary roar as it began to charge one of the Kisthkin, a younger female of the troupe. But this tiger was still young itself, inexperienced at the hunt. It was the stroke of luck that Seyp needed as he rubbed the fatigue from his eyes quickly, observing as the prey suddenly bolted for the thick vegetation of the jungle, the tiger giving chase, while the others of the troupe made for the trees. The Alpha made its attempt at protection, but instead found itself missing in a leap for the tiger as it sped across the nesting grounds after its prey.

Seyp hadn’t seen it perfectly, but he had noticed every branch, every large leaf that had been pushed aside as the Kisthkin ran along the forest grounds when its attempts for the trees had been blocked by the tiger pouncing. At first, Seyp thought the agile tactics of the prey, as it jumped against the trunks of trees, vaulting itself away as the tiger would come in for a pounce, were nothing more than attempts to lose the tiger, but as the chase continued on, he found the Kisthkin rounding its path, making its way back to the troupe. Before long, it was once again entering the nesting grounds, the tiger close on its heals. It was there that the leaping Alpha found its second attempt successful, as it launched its body at the Myrian tiger, knocking it aside as it stumbled along the ground. The Myrian tiger had turned its attentions to the alpha, roaring in a threatening manner as its previous prey made for the trees. The Alpha swatted at the ground, tearing up earth, fallen tree limbs and rock as if they were no heavier than dry leaves in defiance to the tiger. Eventually, the rest of the troupe began calling out, several of them throwing stones and sticks, fruits and fecal matter, whatever they could at the tiger. Several pieces hit the jungle cat, the predatory beast finding it more of an annoyance than harmful, but eventually leaving all the same.

Seyp continued to observe, watching as the troupe came together once again, each of them silently observing, remaining cautious for a short while before they finally went back into their routine of grooming, eating a napping. With a silent nod, Seyp then descended from the tree and slowly began making his way back to camp.
Seyp
The Bone Shaman

Words: 79674
Joined roleplay: May 7th, 2010, 3:22 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Siiri on May 15th, 2011, 2:17 am

OOC :
Writing Pua, Koa and Hania out of the scene.

Seyp would arrive at the campsite to find Siiri in a decidedly bad mood. The warrioress was pacing back and forth like a caged animal, muttering to herself and punctuation what sounded like curses by punching one fist to an open palm. The ends of her cornrows would fly every which way whenever she turned, the braids like dark red tentacles of some deep sea beast. They would settle upon her shoulders only for a few seconds before they were flying once more as she would take another quick turn in her furious pacing. Spotting the bone shaman, Siiri exploded into a verbal assault.

"You!" she pointedly called at Seyp, jabbing a finger in his direction as if laying the blame of the cause of her foul mood on his shoulders. "Change of plans! The fools Koa and Pua vanished about an hour ago - or maybe earlier, I don't know. I sent Hadya... Hamba..." She paused, trying to remember Hania's name, then just shook her head, deciding it did not matter. "The quiet one, whatever his name is. I sent him to track them, drag them back here if he has to, but given this blasted rain, I don't know when that will be. If he even finds them! I decided that we won't wait for them and we'll take the alpha down with our numbers."

Siiri jerked her thumb in the direction of her bondmate to indicate what she had in mind. "Miharu will dart in to keep it grounded, latch on to it to keep the damn thing down as long as possible, then we take it down. Simple. Pray you like it with its head cut off because that's what you'll get!" For emphasis, the tall warrior drew her massive greatsword and motioned as if punching the air before her, displaying the gleaming blade for all to see and understand what she intend to use it for. "When you're done watching them fling crap at each other and pick lice off each other's heads, we'll move out!"

And then she stormed off, kicking the ground where she had illustrated to Satu her battle plans earlier in frustration and rage. The ceaseless falling of the rain did not help her mood any.
Apologies to everyone I'm threading with, but it's like the Danaides for me right now.
==/==
"If it doesn't solve all your problems, maybe you're not using enough of it." - Violence
Siiri
Beast of Prey

Words: 521753
Joined roleplay: September 18th, 2009, 3:22 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Medals: 7
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Satu on May 21st, 2011, 11:17 pm

The Konti sat patiently. She was not bothered by the waiting. What was time to a damaged mind such as hers? Satu’s serene face lifted radiantly upwards as she tried to catch as much rain as she could upon her face, and she smiled in the effort of recapturing the sensation of being submerged underwater. After a time she released her legs from their crossed position, and slid off her perch to lightly step through puddles in the clearing. The rain had shifted and Satu had to turn her body to catch as much of the wetness as she could against her exposed skin.

Tired of the constant play of emotions from her companions, the HeartSeer was happy when the three Myrians left. At their departure, her Heart felt lighter and much freer. Though she could not have said when that had been. And Satu did not care really about hunting, so she let any words of Miharu and Siiri exchanged regarding the endeavor slip past her. In this moment, Satu walked in her own world, a fantasy within the small clearing. The Konti hummed a gentle tune to the leaves and trees surrounding her as they dripped nourishing rain down upon them all. Her throaty song filled the air, vibrating in the fall of water. Her body swayed along with the lilting, yet sweet tune. But in the unforgiving jungle, the childlike tune sounded unnatural and eerie, terrible in its innocence.

Dancing lightly, Satu slowly skimmed through puddles as she moved, oblivious to anything outside her self-imposed circle. Her legs skipped, her arms lightly flowed outward with the simple tune. Satu’s body danced with pointed, scaled toes as she swayed softly. Small water droplets spun off of her clothes, soaked as she was with the rains. The most pleasurable of smiles covered the Konti’s face as she hummed the ever stranger tune. Satu looked out of place and incredibly harmless, as her fingers grazed a large leaf, sending its gathered waters to dot upon the ground as she flitted away in a circle.

But half way through the turn, Satu stopped, her long body stilling suddenly. Her passionate eyes were unreadable as she turned slowly. Was her fragile Heart soothed now by her dance? She watched, for Seyp had returned and Siiri’s Heart reacted forcefully, angrily. A strange smile crossed the HeartSeer’s face as she silently watched Siiri’s outburst, though she herself remained silent.

Though inland far we be,
Our souls have sight of that immortal sea
Which brought us hither.
~William Wordsworth, Intimations of Immortality

Signature Credit goes to:
archistock.deviantart.com
jurgita.com
catskullcollector.deviantart.com
and the ever lovely and helpful Hex for putting it all together!
Satu
Flower of the Sea

Words: 296249
Joined roleplay: September 13th, 2009, 3:34 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 5
GP's Angels (1)

Postby Growl on October 3rd, 2011, 4:38 am

Appreciation Time!

Name: Siiri

Experience: +5 Leadership, +1 Tracking, +4 Hunting, +4 Tactics, +3 Observation, +2 Rhetoric, +1 Intimidation, +1 Carving
Lore: Is it Possible to be Overarmed?, Kisthkin (Basic), Wresting for Control of the Group, Issuing Orders, Explaining Your Plans to Others, Rak'keli (Basic)

Name: Satu

Experience: +5 Rhetoric, +1 Intimidation, +3 Hunting, +1 Interrogation, +1 Running, +4 Observation, +2 Teaching, +1 Tactics
Lore: Joining a Myrian Hunting Party, Kisthkin (Basic), Leave? But There's Water!, Comparing Siiri's Weapons to the Suvai, Studying Diagrams, I Follow a Different Path, Explaining Healers

Name: Miharu

Experience: +3 Rhetoric, +2 Intimidation, +4 Hunting, +3 Stealth, +3 Observation, +1 Tactics
Lore: Not Understanding the Purpose of Clothes, Kisthkin (Basic), Following Orders, Joining a Myrian Hunting Party, Slinking Through the Forest

Additional Notes: Sorry so many people left, it was a great thread nonetheless. PM with questions or concerns.
I carry the words of the dead.
Growl
Lost Soul

Words: 167857
Joined roleplay: April 27th, 2011, 12:51 pm
Race: Staff account
Office

Previous