Completed Blood Rain (Edreina)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

While Sylira is by far the most civilized region of Mizahar, countless surprises and encounters await the traveler in its rural wilderness. Called the Wildlands, Syliran's wilderness is comprised of gradual rolling hills in the south that become deep wilderness in the north. Ruins abound throughout the wildlands, and only the well-marked roads are safe.

Blood Rain (Edreina)

Postby Razkar on September 5th, 2013, 1:37 am

12th Day of Fall
South Kabrin Road
13th Bell

A gray revolt had fomented as the bloated snake of men, wood and animals wound its ways from plains to hills and the skies grey angry at their approach. It seemed to the Myrian that the further they traveled from Syliras, the more Makutsi her kin in the roiling crowds disapproved. The terrain seemed to be rebelling under their feet, too; woods and fields Razkar was familiar with, but now hills were giving way to jagged escarpments and valleys of stony shale that made the unshod horses whine and wore wagon wheels down in a matter of days.

Darkness, too. Ever-encroaching upon them from the north and the east, great clouds the size of cities massing on the horizon, forming ranks, readying for a march that would unleash Makutsi's blessing and fury upon all.

The Myrian turned at another round of grumbling from his side. Edreina really was starting to sound more like her beloved fox kit with every passing day now, but he guessed it had more to do with her travel than the weather. Razkar may have been a fairly recent convert to the idea of horse riding, but the Svefra? She bounced and swayed on Jorven even when he was at the slow, steady trot he went at that day, always shifting and mumbling.

Now from under a hood, red locks wet and plastered to her pale face. She regarded him with blue eyes from under her cowl, all the brighter for the gloom nestling within.

Razkar smiled softly, his own hood pulled up over his head. His was made up of three human scalps and one Drykas, but still... very serviceable material, was flesh.

Just had to know how to treat it.

"They tell me that you rear becomes numb, in end." He said, patting Mrrko's snout with a chuckle. "Takes a season or so, but it happens. Rear just... gets tough. Like leather."

A fresh chorus of inventive Fratava - some of it questioning both his parentage and intelligence - was her reply, but the Myrian just chuckled and found it rolling, melding, mixing with distant thunder beyond the hills. He scowled at the peaks ahead of them, smooth but muddy gash in the landscape that was the Kabrin Road winding into it.

The caravan was making good progress, but he knew a thunderstorm when he spied on on the horizon. The rain that would come with it, not to mention the rockfalls in that chaotic tangle of shale, stone and valleys... it would be problematic.

"Looks like trouble, eh?"

A new voice joined them, from the wagon they were riding beside. Like everyone else, Albrecht's face was almost covered against the rain. Light, stinging, for three days it had not so much lashed as tickled their faces... but it had barely stopped.

Just the prelude, the Myrian thought, for Makutsi's true song.

"You would know more than me, Mister Albrecht." Razkar said, a little too loudly perhaps, but he wanted the caravan master's people to respect him. It made his own job easier. "You have been on road for many years. This is first time I have. But I know storm, and I know storm is coming... and in mountains..."

Albrecht made a contemplative little "hmm" and mulled that over. The ranges between Syliras and Zeltiva only truly became mountains once you got to the Zastoskas, but during a storm, with thunder shaking the ground and torrents of water loosening everything they touched...

"No avoiding it, though, Mister Razkar. Only way to Zeltiva - by land, anyway - is through those bloody hills-" The portly human stabbed an accusing finger at the rising ground, some of the peaks already lost to fog and cloud. "-and that's that. We'll try to get through in good order... just hope our luck holds..."

Now it was the Myrian's turn to make that noise, but his mind was on more than the weather. Fog, narrow valleys, plenty of chances to block the road or cut off their escape, use height and cover against them... perfect ambush terrain. And as his mind turned over that looming tactical concern, he frowned deeper, rain running down his tanned face and down into his cloak until it soaked into the top of his breeches.

Moretta. Her riders. They hadn't been seen for nearly a bell. Back when the terrain was flatter, Razkar had been able to spy them from a couple of leagues away, bobbing dots on the horizon, scouting ahead for the main group. But out there? Now a few twists and turns hid them from sight, and the half-Drykas had been smart enough to send a man back every half-bell or so just to confirm the route was clear.

It had been near twice that.

"Apprentice?"

Edreina's head snapped around sharply at the tone of iron in her lover's voice. No more jesting or light conversation: he was Master now, the Razkar whose prowess and ability had made him commander of the sellsword company protecting this caravan. A man who gave orders and expected them swiftly obeyed. Even by her.

"Lesson in tactics and problem-solving." Now the tone of a teacher; probing, clear-minded, testing the listener. "Have not seen sign of scouts. Possible problem. So... how best to solve? Send others to find out? Or wait?"
My Words | Your Words | Myrian | Fratavan | My Thoughts
Razkar has been cursed by Yahal, and as such finds little acceptance from others; they will instinctively view him as being deceptive and traitorous. However, when close to one blessed by Yahal, the effect is negated. The curse is etched onto his left pectoral, and viewing the mark causes others to feel dirty and unclean.
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Words: 2242619
Joined roleplay: October 8th, 2012, 12:04 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 9
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Blood Rain (Edreina)

Postby Edreina on September 5th, 2013, 2:20 am

"They tell me that you rear becomes numb, in end. Takes a season or so, but it happens. Rear just... gets tough. Like leather."

Leather-ass.Now does that not sound appealing... She grumbled quietly, insulting Razkar, the situation, and even her own idiocy beneath her breath as she removed one leg from the stirrup and crossed it over, resting the crook of her knee around the saddle horn for balance as she adjusted. Her only comfort was that Boobless' arse was probably far past the point of leather.

Well, and the rain. But, then again, Makutsi's touch was always a comfort.

"Apprentice?"

Edreina snapped from the brief reverie she had been granted, breath slow and even as the Rain Goddess's gentle touch caressed her face. If she was quiet enough, she could almost make out the gentle ebb and flow of her father's realm shining through in the rain. For as she poured it from the heavens, Laviku was supplying it. So close she felt to the Sea Father in that moment. Closer than she had felt in days upon the trail.

At first, she had thought that being away from the Sea would drive her mad; to a degree it did. But, this was what she had always wanted: the ability to explore a world unknown to her kin in all but song and story. And that constant trickle of sustenance to her ravenous curiosity was just enough to keep her sane. Oh, and her master. But then again, the Myrian was never dull.

For a tick or two, she mulled over her question, chewing on her lower lip. "If falcons were as reliable as dolphins, I would say that sending one searching for the Halfbreed-" Edreina could not exactly say her petname for the Drykas out loud... Calling a woman Boobless-and-Bitchy, or just Boobless for short, would likely not gain her an approving look. "-but since they are not, another option must be found..." She realized that she would likely sound more intelligent if she could formulate an answer before speaking, but ridiculous thoughts had a tendency for escaping anyway. She might as well at least allow the Myrian to be privy to her thought process. If she was going in completely the wrong direction, he would - hopefully - correct her.

"Sending a rider after them would not be a good idea if there is danger ahead. Then, we would lose another rider and have no warning... Hm. I would send a rider up as high as he can manage in search of them, but not too far from the caravan. We would be granted a better viewpoint and be able to receive word of their condition far sooner. Perhaps give them a horn so that their call can be heard above Makutsi's song?" The Svefra hesitated, looking down at the saddle horn, picking at it quietly. Perhaps she had spoken too much and made a fool of herself. Abruptly self-conscious, Edreina pulled her hood further over her head, narrowing her eyes at the glare that glittered up off of the rain.

A disdainful whimper sounded from her saddlebag, reminding Edreina of just how much her kit hated the rain. But more than that, he hated not being able to see where they are going. And so, his little sail-like ears did their best to keep him dry, flicking about constantly. Well. At least Edreina was not the only miserable one.

Edreina
Unbound

Words: 1079180
Joined roleplay: March 18th, 2013, 1:40 am
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Lore Author (1) Artist (1)
Overlored (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Blood Rain (Edreina)

Postby Razkar on September 5th, 2013, 11:29 am

A horn. Nice touch. Fine master, you are; getting upstaged by your apprentice...

"Good answer." Razkar said, smiling both at it and the surprised jerk of that red head at his words. He nodded at the valley about to engulf them, not straight but curved like a length of wire tossed haphazardly onto the ground. "But may be better to send two... keep them in sight of each other and us."

The Myrian nodded to the left side of the approaching valley, then swept to his right, at some hidden turn or twist. "One there... one there... and as caravan goes, they go. They leap over each other like frogs until they find scouts."

But the question was, who would go? They had two dozen mercenaries traveling with them but even now Razkar didn't know which ones were best suited. The archers, mot likely; lithe, quick-eyed and patient men who were used to spying targets. But if there was trouble, he would need all the long-range killing power he could get... so...

"Apprentice..."

He paused, and that immediately put her hackles up. Razkar marshaling his thoughts was different from Razkar hesitating, and that's what it sounded like. She watched as emotion warred across his usually-stoic face, until finall he sighed and nodded to himself, some words in Myrian she couldn't follow falling from his lips in a mutter.

"It is the best thing for all, and the best use of our assets... Apprentice?" He looked over and she damn-near stood (or sat) to attention. "Take sellsword called Manny. Young male. I have seen him move on ground, seems to have good feet. But I have seen you in mountains; I know you have great feet. Mister Albrecht?"

The caravan master perked up quickly, having heard most of what followed. "Yes, Mister Razkar?"

"Do you have two horns for making noise?"

"Yeah, I'm sure we could scare a couple up."

"Go and scare." Razkar turned back to Edreina, face set and as certain as he could make it. "Go find human Manny. Bring back here, get horns... then go."

She began the laborious task of turning Jorven (not an easy thing in a hill pass) and Razkar told himself yet again it was the right and smart thing to do. Paradox though it was (or perfectly rational, given how her whole world was constantly rolling on the Suvan Sea), the Sea-Walker as sure as a mountain goat in hills and mountainsides. He rarely saw her trip and her nerve was... impressive... but when he saw her return with the rather confused-looking Manny, he couldn't help he words bubbling up one more time-

"Apprentice?" She turned to him and he cleared his throat, maintaining that hated illusion while pouring as much concern into his words as he could. "Be careful. If you see anything wrong, blow horn and run. Or just run."
Razkar has been cursed by Yahal, and as such finds little acceptance from others; they will instinctively view him as being deceptive and traitorous. However, when close to one blessed by Yahal, the effect is negated. The curse is etched onto his left pectoral, and viewing the mark causes others to feel dirty and unclean.
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Blood Rain (Edreina)

Postby Edreina on September 5th, 2013, 5:57 pm

"Apprentice..."

Edreina looked up, cocking her head to the side, eyebrows furrowing as he... hesitated. Razkar. Hesitated. Whatever he was considering obviously pulled at his heart and his logic, meaning it likely concerned her. Her first instinct was to sit properly in her saddle, preparing herself for whatever the Myrian would request.

He whispered something in Myrian. A prayer? A warning she was too slow to catch?

"Apprentice? Take sellsword called Manny. Young male. I have seen him move on ground, seems to have good feet. But I have seen you in mountains; I know you have great feet."

As excited as she was to finally be of use, Edreina could not help the cold lump of fear that settled in her heart. Actually, she should have seen this coming. Who else's eyes would Razkar trust? Who else had the feet to make their way up the hillside.

"Go find human Manny. Bring back here, get horns... then go."

The apprentice nodded and turned Jorven. It was an easy enough command, it just took Jorven a tick to respond, as usual. Manny, the name sounded familiar but she was not entirely sure about the face. Until she saw him. There was that tick of hesitation before recognition kicked in and Edreina drew Jorven up beside the footman. "Manny?" she asked, voice as level as she could manage despite the excitement sending her heart beating wildly.

The mercenary was surprised, cocking a brow before nodding at the mounted Svefra. After so much time gawking at her, seeing her as just a pretty creature that did not really belong on the trail, he forgot how tough she could be until he saw her sparring with her master or she spoke to him in such a way. "Ma'am?" It was odd to refer to a woman about his age and with far less experience with such a title.

Naturally, she wanted to grin at him and tell him that he was going to help her out with something, to say it in a nice way and ask him along instead of commanding. But, that instinct was squashed by her mercenary bravado. "Bring your weapon and come with me. We will be scouting ahead because there has been no word from Moretta and her riders for over a bell now. We can't dawdle around and ride into the unknown," she said, watching as he hurried to comply. The young sellsword was obviously excited that a) he was being chosen for a mission and b) he was going to be getting out from behind the gaseous horse in front of him. Ooooohhhh Seb was going to be jealous when he told the embellished version of this tale later on. It would likely involve Razkar hand picking him the first time and then fighting alongside the redhead against a three-headed-mountain goat about the sixth or seventh time he told the tale.

The man produced a sword and a crossbow, though his stance suggested to Edreina that he was more comfortable with the first. Jorven was annoyed to be changing directions once again - Couldn't these two-legs just pick a direction and stick with it? - but complied and set off at a brisk and bumpy trot back towards where she had left Razkar and Albrecht. The human kept up admirably, appearing to be barely winded once they reached the two masters once again. Good. He would need his endurance for this.

Immediately, she dismounted from the silver-and-white gelding, tying it to a loop at the rear of Mrrko's saddle as she walked. The horse would do her no good on the shifting footing above. As a last thought, Edreina unbelted her coiled whip from the saddle, remembering her lessons about true sellswords refusing to go anywhere unarmed. She would have brought her wakazashi but the weapon was still new to her and - Edreina later realized while trekking up the hill - that if she did end up in a skirmish unable to blow the horn, the high, resonating cracking of her whip would likely echo into the valley below and alert Razkar to a problem. Taking both of the horns, she passed one to Manny and turned to Razkar one last time, seeking any last words of guidance. All she got was the simple command to be careful and what to do if she saw anything. He really was worried... All the better that she now had the chance to prove herself to him. Smiling slightly, Edreina turned and started up the hillside, Manny following quickly.

As a last thought, the female turned and called out a Myrian parting Razkar had taught her days earlier, "Watch over my heart, for I leave it with you and carry yours with me." It was far sappier than either of them cared for, but it was what Edreina wanted to say, and Myrian was the best way to say it for Razkar had not yet picked up enough of her own liquid language.

With that, she turned to Manny and started to explain as they trekked up the hill: "We will be traveling one in front of the other once we get up the hill. Be careful at the top, for your footing will be the most loose there as it is constantly being worn away by wind and water. If you feel like you're going to slip, turn and fall onto your rear. That will stop you from losing control entirely." The sellsword was obviously surprised by the depth of the Svefra's knowledge of the land. He had seen her tripping over flat earth, but never the shifting sediments of these hills. It was almost as if her body was accustomed to the ground beneath her feet being in constant tumult.

"I will take the lead, so make sure that you're able to hear my horn." she said once they were near the top of the hillside, already setting off at a more brisk pace to get in front of him. She moved on her toes, eyes flickering between the ground and the expanse that was slowly forming before them. Whenever her foot landed on something unstable, she was quick to step again. The process was arduous and set Edreina's legs to burning, but it was a good, familiar burn that set her at ease after days of her body burning as she adjusted to a new style of living.

Blue eyes swiveled once she reached the hill's crest, able to devote more time to her surroundings than she could going up. For the most part, the top of the hill would be reliably loose, allowing her body to adjust once and then only occasionally and fractionally after that. A flurry of four-legged motion had Edreina whipping her body to the right, only to see that she had disturbed a small pod- herd of those miniature horse-things with tree-branches growing from their skulls. Feer? Dear? Mere... Leer... Bah, anyway.

For an entire mile, Edreina was silent, walking along the crest when she could and trotting whenever she had to struggle to keep up with the straighter-traveling caravan below. That was, of course, until she clambered her way to a higher ridge, made entirely from stone, and stood atop it, gazing out into the small valley that awaited them.

What she saw made her hands tremble as she raised the horn to her lips and blew with all of her might. That was her first instinct. Her second? To run down the hill as quickly as she could, zig-zagging so that her center of gravity would not be too greatly affected by the tilt of the hill, causing her to topple over forwards. Somewhere behind her, Manny's horn blew as well.

When Razkar looked up to see what the commotion was, he would see Edreina fleeing like a startled hare, blue cloak billowing around her, hood pushed back by the wind to show eyes wide and terrified. Whatever was ahead of him he would find out in a tick or two at that rate. Beside him, Albrecht rose and yelled for the caravan to halt; he had never seen such an expression on that woman's face.

The instant she arrived, Edreina would leap onto Jorven's back, hand clutching her whip, and launch into a description of what she had seen, heart growing cold at the looks that passed over Razkar and Albrecht's faces. She had been right...

This was bad.
Edreina
Unbound

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Blood Rain (Edreina)

Postby Radiant on September 6th, 2013, 1:58 pm

No one wants trouble, at least not deliberately. It was very much true in the minds of the sellswords guarding the caravan travelling from Syliras to Zeltiva. Even though they were exactly hired to face - almost - all kinds of problems. But as always, fate seemed to be the ever playful mistress. The redhead Svefra witnessed something that would be called "Earth Demons" in Razkar tongue, in the road ahead of the Caravan.

"Yuk... yuk... yuk..."

The distinct chant of the foul landspawns echoed in the hills... and what Edreina did was both wise and unwise. Wisely, she warned the caravan of an impending danger, unwisely, she also warned the horde of a delicious meal coming to them.

"YUK YUK YUK YUK!!!"

At the bellow of the horn, the horde answered in return. A large and muscular yukman bellowed its distinct call, gathering the fifty members strong horde. The Alpha snarled and roared, followed suit by its horde, they were ready, they were strong. The Yukman horde swarmed from the balley, heading to the Kabrin Road. The horde seemed to possess enough intelligence that humans often make strange unanimal-like sounds as they traveled through this man-made road.

Under Makutsi's heavy downpour, Edreina's explanation only brought dread to the sellsword. A particularly shifty one immediately expressed his fear "What?!! Oh no... Yukman!!!" Murmurs and whispers erupted in the group. They were confident in handling a couple of Yukmen, but a full horde like the Svefra explained? They were not so sure. Still, Razkar was here, he was a veteran Myrian warrior, right? Surely he could protect them.

As the group prepared for the imminent swarm, something... shifted on one of the wagons. Suddenly, a humanoid figure rose up, obviously was hiding among the goods. The figure wore a light brown cloak that covered the person's small body and face, a sellsword was surprised at this sudden hitchhiker, he drew his sword and was about to ask questions when...

"It's okay..."

A voice echoed in the back of his head.

"I'm here to help you..."

The voice was distinctly female, he couldn't help but feeling safe at her presence, the mercenary sheathed his sword and gulped, nodding. The hooded girl then jumped down from the wagon and made her way to Razkar, she was really small in stature, only reaching to about Razkar's chest. The girl then stopped beside the Myrian and extended her pale right hand, brushing against the Myrian's shoulder. Sellswords watched in surprise and suspicion, who was this stowaway? But they had more pressing matters at hand, that is preparing for the imminent battle.

"You will not survive this on your own..." The girl spoke slow and calm, when Razkar turned his head at her, he could see the slitted yellow eyes of the girl, revealing her nature as a member of his most hated enemy, though, by her stature, it was obvious she was a Viper.

"Myrian... I know you, Razkar, are you friends with Matthew? Ehehe..." She spouted that out of nowhere and Razkar suddenly felt voices echoing at this head. During her stay in Syliras, she had heard of rumors that a Myrian had been visiting the Herald's Arms, she hired the Harlot once... so she used it as a way to make the Myrian looked less murderous to her.

"You can trust me... I'm not like my giant cousins in Falyndar..."

It was the work of her djed, her hypnotism. The over-a-hundred years old small Viper then pulled back her hood, obsidian hair cascaded down her shoulder, pale-yellowish skin, and her trademark Dhani eyes.

"My name is Karin, Razkar" She smiled politely, she needed to be, they all needed to band together if they wanted to survive this. Karin mentally regretted on why she decided to travel to Zeltiva by hitchiking this particular caravan. Was Ionu playing with her? It could be. She was one of its children after all, it might be a test to her wits.

"Hey! Who the hell are you, gir-?!" A sellsword decided to intervene, but Karin shot him a dangerous look along with a feeling of "Intimidation" to the man, he gritted his teeth and let the Myrian deal with her.

"So, friends?" The master hypnotist held out her hand, even she couldn't handle a horde of Yukman alone, she would overgive to death first before sending each of them cowering.

"YUK YUK YUK!!!" The echoing chatter became louder and louder each second, they would have to make a decision... and fast.
Last edited by Radiant on September 8th, 2013, 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Radiant
Sailor Radiant

Words: 781936
Joined roleplay: July 2nd, 2013, 1:39 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Blood Rain (Edreina)

Postby Razkar on September 7th, 2013, 4:56 pm

"Albrecht! Stop the caravan!" Razkar's eyes were fixed on the fog-and-rain-shrouded valley ahead of them, but his words were crisp and barked out like a hammer on a nail. Then it rose higher, smothering the sound of his gladius being unsheathed. "Sellswords! Spread the word and rally to me!"

He didn't need Edreina's report; the dual blasts from the horns was enough, and the sight before his squinting eyes.

No-one moves that fast unless they're running for their lives.

"What is it, Myrian?"

"Trouble." Razkar growled back, scowling through the sheets of rain as Makutsi finally let herself loose at the worst possible petching moment. Two figures ran and slid and skittered down the slick rocks, tumbling and slipping here and again... but still moving. "Whatever it is.

Seb looked around himself and found the rest of the mercenaries jogging or riding up, mud sloshing around their feet. With a few shouted orders Albrecht had the caravan at a halt, drivers murmuring their questions and concerns but not loudly.

The tension hung thicker than the fog, and everyone seemed to be holding their breath, as if to speak out loud would anger some great beast ahead of them.

Razkar frowned. A whisper on the wind, more like... an echo...

"Yuk... Yuk... Yuk..."

Hate bloomed so fast and furious in Razkar's eyes that Albrecht almost flinched at the feral expression his face twisted into. Teeth bared, every one of them sharpened to points, eyes wide like obsidian polished and burning with black fire. Then Albrecht's ears twitched and he heard the same thing... louder... closer...

"That... That sounds like..."

"Earth Demon." Razkar spat the words like a curse and dismounted from Mrrko in one quick jerk of his legs, handing the reins to the driver on Albrecht's wagon. "Tie him up. I am not horseman."

Feet now on the ground, Razkar could feel the faint vibrations of dozens, scores of running feet, pounding heedlessly over the harsh, hilly ground. Memories, dark and dripping with malice, raced and jeered before his eyes; a grudge years old that no amount of black blood would every repay, but he forced them away.

He was not just a warrior... not just a son still grieving after years... he was a professional, hired to keep these people safe.

And to slaughter these animals into the bargain.

Razkar's eyes flickered around the walls of the valley they were in. Hardly a canyon, but he doubted the Yukmen were approaching from the sides. The vibrations wouldn't have been that distinct if they were, and based on the direction Edreina was running from...

"Sellswords?!" He shouted above the rain, gladius raised aloft, a gleaming lightning rod for their attention. The Myrian slashed it back towards the wagons and carriages behind them. "Archers! On wagon and stay high! They come from forwards, that is where you look! See others on side, you shout out! Rest of... you...?"

A small, lithe figure slithered her way through the two dozen or so mounted sellswords, all the smaller for the fact she was on foot. Hooded and cloaked so he could barely see her features, immediately Razkar's gnosis growled into life, some warning prescience making his other hand slide to his hand ax, unease flickering in his eyes...

"You will not survive this on your own..."

Razkar's frown grew deeper, his gaze jerked down to the pale hand offered to him. What was she doing? Was she some mage or seer? What did she plan to do? He looked up-

-into bisected eyes-

-slits, not pupils-

-and his gladius moved all by itself, in the space it took for the Dhani to blink, going from his side to her throat, razor tip of it caressing her pulsing vein...

"Ancient Enemy," the Myrian spat in his own tongue, words as hateful and despised as any curse or foul language. "You brought them here? Summoned them? Or are you just-"

"Myrian... I know you, Razkar, are you friends with Matthew? Ehehe..."

Matthew... the harlot? Razkar glare narrowed even further, until his eyes were almost mirrors of the slits her own were, though they were horizontal. But with her words he felt a... pressure... a suggestion of emotion. It felt real, and he would have lowered his blade-

-had he not felt the same thing from Matthew himself, when he had inspired and emboldened them with his singing while fighting the Balicani. Razkar knew the human was touched with the wyrd, able to foster such courage in their hearts, enough to overcome that rampaging monster.

But that was Matthew, and his reasons were pure.

This was a Dhani, and it boiled down to the same thing: they were not his thoughts, or emotions... they were hers. In his head.

Abomination!

"You can trust me... I'm not like my giant cousins in Falyndar..."

"And that is why you put words in my head?" Razkar snarled out the words, the entire horde of Yukmen forgotten, confusion and concern rife on the faces of his underlings and he cared not a jot. A Child of Siku faced a Child of Myri; that was all that mattered. "I know what that wyrd is, bitch, I have felt it before. Don't even twitch you lips or make a stare at me, or I'll open you fucking throat."

But... there was no fear. Not from her. Her hands moved up, slowly, and the hood was lowered. There was more murmuring from the sellswords and Razkar remembered them again. Folds of deep, dark hair tumbled down her shoulders, pale skin like that of a corpse, but yellowed like old parchment, the faint suggestion of scales shimmering under the surface. And those eys, hated by all true Children of Myri, looking at him like a snake would a mouse.

"My name is Karin, Razkar."

No fear. And, thus far, no attempt at violence.

She is Dhani! The Ancient Enemy! Whether from desert or jungle, whether here or home, she is your blood enemy!

True... but...

Razkar's mind warred with itself in a way it had never done before, played out silently as Karin and the blustery sellsword had their brief showdown. She was his enemy, by blood and by history... by sheer design of the Fates! But she was offering her help-

She will trick you, and kill you as soon as she can. Think of Edri! What then for her?!

They were thirty now against a horde of Yukmen that he knew would outnumber them. Whatever the Earth Demons lacked in brains and weapons, they always compensated for in a flood of raging, shrieking flesh and claws. Maybe they could hold them back, but with such a talented mage at their side? The odds shifted much more favorably.

This is heresy! Blasphemy!

She is not of the jungle-

She! Is! Dhani! They are all monsters!

"So are the Earth Demons..." Karin frowned as the words were mumbled out in a tongue she couldn't follow, but they weren't for her, evidently. They were for the Myrian's own mind. "... and they're the ones to worry about now..."

"So, friends?"

Inch by inch... his blade lowered, though his expression of disgust did not lessen in the slightest. A call from his side sent his head snapping around, seeing Edri, soaking and disheveled, mount Jorven and begin babbling what she saw. He waved a hand, silencing his apprentice.

"I know! We heard!" Now they all could, echoes of dozens of Yukmen sounding like hundreds as they echoed and reverberated and reproduced countless times over every time they smashed into a few wall of the valley. "We must be ready..."

Razkar scowled at Karin... then at her hand... and slapped it aside.

"Not shake that until you prove it." He growled, not looking in her eyes anymore. If he felt even the slightest suggestion of a thought not his own rattling around in his head, the Myrian didn't trust himself not to butcher her where he stood. "But... you are right. For the moment."

The Myrian turned to his men and raised his gladius a second time, words bellowing through the storm of rain and rising wind.

"Archers on wagons! Rest of you? Off horses and onto ground! We make line across road, ready to meet them!"

"Wait, you want us off the horses?!" The same belligerent sellsword who'd yapped at Karin now unwisely directed his attention to Razkar, probably boosted by the fact he was high above him on his mare. "That's an advantage, isn't it? Gives us height and speed-"

"Can you fight on horse?"

"Well... not well, but-"

"But they are only Yukmen, so what does it matter, hmm?"

"Yeah, so-"

"Off petching horse!" Razkar's command was so condensed with violent authority that the human nearly leaped from the back of his animal like a natural-born Drykas... even if he did stick the landing a touch. "Yukman will pull you off and if not you, will kill horse under you then catch you like falling fucking fruit! Better to fight on foot!"

"What about the caravan? Can we move it back?"

"Nah, not in this," Albrecht replied, and Razkar stayed quiet; the man knew more than he ever would about moving and maintaining such a vast train and wagons and animals. "The rain, how narrow the road is... we'd just end up confused and easy meat for 'em. Besides, they're too close."

Razkar nodded his approval and turned his gaze back to the valley ahead of them.

Shadows shifted there, figures hidden by rain and fog, but stampeding towards them in bobbing pinpoints of furious movement. But far as they were, their cries were already almost deafening, and endless, inane litany of "YUKYUKYUK" that ground on the nerves like nails on glass.

"Get in position, like I say!" Razkar bellowed yet again, mercenaries dismounting and jogging forwards all around him, swords and shields sliding from scabbards, following him as he marched down the Kabrin Road to the monsters. "Stop... here!"

They did, and a line began to form, stretching from one side of the road to the other. He looked over his shoulder, saw the Dhani and the Svefra still there. He nodded to his lover, eyes hard but a glimmer of concern bright in their depths.

"Remember what I teach. And you?" His chin jutted to the Dhani, ghost of something that could have been a smirk or a sneer on his lips. "Coming or not?"
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Blood Rain (Edreina)

Postby Edreina on September 7th, 2013, 8:14 pm

From atop Jorven, Edreina was surprised to see Razkar slap a small woman's hand aside. She had been so preoccupied with those creatures that the little woman had escaped her notice. Who was she? What had she done to upset Razkar? ...until she proves what? And what the petch was she right about? Gods, she really hated missing out on things.

At his command to dismount, Edreina immediately complied. She was not surprised to see that others did not follow suit. Three sellswords remained noticeably mounted, led by one especially loud mouthed rider. Any trouble they caused was quickly snuffed as Razkar delivered a growled command so menacing Edreina started lightly where she should, eyes wide. From his behavior, Edreina fears of how serious this was were slowly realized.

Despite how little skill she had with the blade, Edreina took her wakazashi from the sheath on Jorven and attached it to her hip. This way, if something happened to her whip, she would not be entirely defenseless. Then, she removed her cloak, knowing that despite the fact that it kept her a bit drier, it would be a hazard in a fight. And besides... it was not just rain that she would be wet with at the end of this day.

Slowly, they marched forward, forming a line that spanned the width of the little valley, boots sloshing and suctioning into the mud, as people walked. This would make it hard for most to fight, but Edreina felt at home on the slick surface. The variant of the wet, uneven earth would cause her trouble, as would the fact that she could not grip with bare toes, but she was used to recovering after slipping.

YUK YUK YUK YUK YUK!

Ahead, through Makutsi's mist, a brown, throbbing, trembling mass of movement made itself known. Some walked, hunched over, some shuffled on their knuckles... Edreina did not know enough about these odd earthen creatures to tell gender, age, or even that they were merely mimicking other creatures. She noticed that one had more than two arms, another appeared taller and darker than its kin, reminding her of an Akalak. But beyond that? They were merely monsters.

Her lips moved, but it was her mind that spoke.
Goddess of Rain, hear my plea.
Below you lies a daughter of our father,
a daughter of the sea.
Far from the waves I have come,
and further yet shall I go.
Let your waters pour forth,
let your clouds grow.
Block out Syna's rays,
and give us the strength,
to face these foes,
to wash them away.
With your blessing,
we will live to see another day.

Edreina was far from a master of the verse, but she knew the goddess to be partial to things rhythmic as her rivers and lilting like her downpours. Perhaps, if even for a tick, she had gained Makutsi's ear.

As the monsters drew closer, Edreina spun her whip once, causing it to crack overhead. People started, some just stared. In the flickering light allowed through the clouds and the rain, the metal teeth along her whip gleamed with menace. All around her, people were afraid, nervous, even a bit unsure. Unconsciously, Edreina remembered a harlot's lesson: If your belief is strong enough, you can sometimes convince others to believe as well. Perhaps the Dhani would recognize the trickle of Djed that would fill the redhead's voice, perhaps it would yet be too weak if it existed at all. With her hand still held high, the redhead let loose a familiar cry, for the only music this goddess needed was the song of metal and bone meeting and of an enemy's final pleas:
"For Myri!!!"

Edreina
Unbound

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Blood Rain (Edreina)

Postby Radiant on September 8th, 2013, 10:24 am

"Hehe..." With a small giggle, Karin drew back her hand and concealed her features once more within her hood, the Myrian accepted her help, however begrudgingly. How odd, a children of Siku standing side-by-side with a child of Myri, not trying to kill each other, but as allies. Karin herself didn't hate or curse Myrians as she was born in Eyktol, not Zinrah. The Viper didn't share the animosity between her giant cousins and the bronze warrior-race. She observed the sellswords swallowing their fear and prepared for combat, it was clear that the Myrian was in charge.

Karin noticed that a redheaded woman who was just out of place as herself looking at their direction. Oh... the lover... During her days hitchiking the caravan in her viper form, it was not hard to notice the affection they shared, the happy look in the woman's eyes as she gazed upon the Myrian.

Ah... young love... ehehehe~ While the sellswords were still preparing, Karin approached the Svefra and looked up to her through her golden-yellow slits "....are you sure?" She only spoke that one ambiguous sentence to the Svefra, it could be interpreted as anything. It could be her questioning the decision that the Svefra made, choosing the savage as her partner, was it a wise choice? Or it could be just her questioning the combat ability of the Svefra. As far as Karin concerned, she was one of the most incompetent combatants in the group and if she died... the Myrian would go berserk, and him going berserk could cause the life of the whole group.

They were ready, the sellswords formed a line, making use of the narrow road to avoid being surrounded by the Yukmen. The monsters? They were always ready, they came charging, a very big Akalak-like Yukman at the front, jaws clacking, and claws opened to the front. With the Myrian's presence, the sellswords steeled themselves. The Viper was as calm as ever, though if one looked really closely, a sweat trickled down from her forehead, a sense of fear, but under the rain, it was almost impossible to notice.

As the Yukmen approached, a faint glow of blue shone between Karin's shoulder blades, concealed by her cloak. She stepped in front of the group, held out her pale right hand and unleashed her gnosis upon the Alpha. The Alpha suddenly found itself to be blinded, blinded by pure bright white light from who-knows-where. It stopped in place, snarled, and slashed blindly at the air. The rest of the Yukmen was also stunned for ticks at the odd behavior of the Alpha.

Karin then shot a look with her slitted eyes to an Eypharian Yukman, lashing it with a flash of "Fear". The four-armed Yukman paused and took a step back, its instincts telling it to run for no clear reason.

Karin walked back to the group, her back facing the stunned Alpha and confused Yukmen, it would not last long... they would have to make the best of it.

"Go..."

BGM and OOC Info :
Tsubasa Chronicles OST - Catastrophe

The fight is on! :D There are about 50 Yukmen, feel free to RP Karin as well, she would be mainly staying by Razkar's side and using her hypnotism and illusion to stun and confuse the Yukmen. Lashing them with feeling of "fear" and "danger", since Yukmen are unintelligent brutes, it's rather easy to stun them for a tick or two with less - but not so little - effort, especially at Master Hypnotism. :P
Radiant
Sailor Radiant

Words: 781936
Joined roleplay: July 2nd, 2013, 1:39 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Blood Rain (Edreina)

Postby Razkar on September 9th, 2013, 11:36 am

He was almost ashamed: the damned Sea-Walker barbarian had beaten him to it! But even with that, and the sight of the ravening horde of snarling, screeching, merciless pseudo-life powering towards them, Razkar couldn't help but turn to his apprentice... and grins.

The girl learns well, and knows whose favor to seek on the field of battle.

Razkar raised his own weapons amid the pouring rain and plethora of sellsword faces: some afraid, some stoic, but all... there. No-one had run. He looked left and right and opened his mouth to-

... do nothing, because then that fucking snake stole his thunder.

"Snake?! Get back..." Her hand began to glow as the horde poured onward, rainwater glistening off the jagged shards of bone hammered into their flesh like tumors. "... here?"

Then Karin's hand exploded into light, life, power, all of the above, and the towering beast at the head of the horde stopped with a shuddering, uncomprehending roar of anger. Black eyes were screwed shut in pain, talons slashing madly... and as the Alpha commands, the Horde obeys... but it was not leading anymore.

Razkar's mouth opened slightly. With one blast of her wyrd, she had stopped a whole Earth Demon horde.

Then the pragmatic side of his mind kicked in and realized that while it was a heavy, perhaps decisive blow, it was not the end of it. The snake had said that she could not repeat the same trick for long or for them all; that doing so would kill her. Which Razkar would be perfectly fine with, but an asset is an asset, so while they have the horde stalled for a moment-

"Archers?!" He shouted over the confused, halting chorus of "yukyukyuk", slashing his gladius towards the blinking Alpha like a pointer. "Take down the leader!"

The Alpha finall shook away the hated, blinding white, vision clearing, rain no hindrance for such a feral monster, finally seeing-

-six figures, on or around Albrecht's wagon, with strange pieces of wood in their hands-

-with other pieces of wood inside them-

-pointed at-

The Alpha had just enough time to roar out his hatred before they fired.

In a blink there were five shafts impaling it from groin to throat. One missed, but even on a body that large, five broad-tipped arrows was more than enough to send the beast staggering back, organs pierced and black blood pouring from the wide wounds. The Myrian knew that the archers were good, but he wanted the Demons good and close before they let fly, guaranteeing as many of their arrows hit home as possible.

The ground almost shook when the Alpha toppled backward and Razkar smirked, but any who knew him well would see a wince of lost opportunity in the gesture, too. The Alpha would have been a fine enemy to challenge, a worthy tribute to his Goddess and the one taken from him by another such horde of monsters. But... he was not just a warrior of Myri. In this place, you are a soldier, he told himself a second time, and soldier's accomplish their mission regardless of ego or personal satisfaction. Their leader is dead; now you can finish the rest.

The Myrian threw his hands up a second time, rallying his men to the ax and gladius with rain streaming down them, half-naked figure under both, bedecked with tattoos and scars from half a world away nearly as savage to them as the Yukmen. But he was their leader, and in that moment, his primitive strength was theirs, too.

"FOR MYRI!"

The roaring warcry seemed to snap the "Eypharian" out of its awful mire of fear. It didn't understand such a thing as fear, but in a way an animal doesn't; it has no word for it, only the feeling. But the snake's djed could only work so long on such a base and raging mind; within a moment it was incensed and angered beyond all rational thought by the line of true life before it.

Real minds inside real bodies. Gods, how it hated them so.

Like the one rushing towards it, gladius and ax in hand, screaming out its rage as the rest of the horde slowly recovered from the loss of the Alpha. But their chorus was quickly obliterated by the bellow from two-dozen full and furious throats as the sellswords charged with their leader, maces and axes and swords and shields and spears all leveled and raised.

Razkar was proud of them at that moment. Confused and leaderless, the Yukmen were at their weakest... and that's the moment you really put the boot in.

The Myrian swayed to his left as the Eypharian swung on with long, black claws on its top set of hands, hand ax jerking up vertically to stop the second set slashing for his belly-

-gladius hacking upward to take off one of its arms at the elbow after a backhand aimed at his head sailed over it when he ducked-

-half-crouching as he hammered his humming hand ax down at its right leg-

-obliterating the bone and muscle in its shin, sending it thudding down to the earth it was spawned from, swinging wildly with its three remaining arms from one knee-

-sharpened bone met keen metal as Razkar's gladius stopped one, hand ax lopping off another arm, stump spurting black, stinking blood as the Eypharian fell back, bellowing its dying rage with an impossibly wide maw, black eyes filled and ever-filling with endless, eternal hunger-

Which Razkar finally satisfied by burying his ax with a whoop into its face, splitting it in two, and then racing on.

He thought he heard thunder... but it was not. Several tons of metal, flesh, wood and leather had just crashed into even more tonnage of half-crazed monstrosity in the driving rain. The screams began; the song of steel on bone and wails and dying gurgles.

Razkar smiled as the rain and black blood anointed him.

"For Yurta..."
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Blood Rain (Edreina)

Postby Edreina on September 10th, 2013, 4:06 am

"....are you sure?"

At this, Edreina turned, head cocked to the side ever so slightly. Such a question was not something she had expected here. The question was like a ball that Edreina could not quite set upright, for every time she tried it started to roll away, exposing a new angle to view the same damned question. Eventually, she decided to take it at face-value, answering with a shrug. "Not entirely," her grin was, as always, lighthearted despite the dire situation that faced them. "But, no one honest is ever sure about something. Not entirely. But, there is something that must be done and I will do my best to help accomplish it." With that, the redhead shrugged off the conversation and returned her attention to the quickly-approaching hoard.

Everything seemed to happen at once to Edreina.

The stranger stepped forth and summoned a great ball of light, stunning the hoard for a tick. (Was that some sort of Reimancy unknown to Edreina?) But, a tick was all it took as the leader was riddled with arrows, brought to the ground in a moment that seemed to slow time. What would that mean for the battle now that the leader had fallen? Would the others lose purpose? Or would another simply step up to take its place? As the mass continued to surge forward, any question was banished from her mind. From then on, she was pure action.

Many of the sellswords rushed forward to meet the monsters with some momentum of their own, hacking and slashing and hewing their way through the creatures. But, some remained back weapons poised to pick off any stragglers; it is with this sparse group that Edreina remained. It would be their job to pick off anycreature that got too close to the caravan; hopefully, the front line would keep that from being too many.

Unlike the ragtag group that had assembled to take down the Balicani, this band of mercenaries was skilled in numerous lethal arts. Even the youngest of the group, Manny, was holding his own alongside the veteran Sebastian. That was, of course, until the creature they were facing managed to catch the young sellsword about the head, sending him tumbling into the mud like a sack of barnacles. To her surprise, Sebastian then took up a stance over the young man's body, fending off the monster before them for endless ticks until finally the small-scale battle was determined and that enemy was felled.

Given more time, Edreina would have continued to observe the fighting, watching how people moved and how the battle seemed to ebb and flow like a living tide of flesh, powered by blood instead of salty water.

But, the trembling in the ground beneath her feet startled her, and she turned to see a Yukman closing in, one arm already lopped off by a lucky blade, spewing black filth. It was a hulking creature, taller than Surai and twice as broad. And, it was running right towards Edreina.

Eyes narrowed as instinct claimed her, the redhead thrust her arm forwards and then back, snapping the whip out before her so that it cracked loudly in the open air. The sound gave the Yukman pause, confusion flashing over its primal features before it was claimed once more by its eternal urge to kill. As it resumed its charge, Edreina stepped to the side and whirled, bladed whip creating a ring about her as she moved, slashing the creature's exposed ribcage so that it released a deafening howl. Blood pulsed from this new wound with each beat of its tainted heart, weakening it further. While its back was to her, Edreina lashed out with the whip, watching it score his cracked flesh there as well.

The monster attempted to turn on Edreina, remaining arm raised to claw at her. But, the motion was too much. With a pained groan, it fell to its knees. Guided by the unwavering instinct of the Balicani, Edreina launched herself at the creature, flipping the whip in her hand so that she could hammer the triangle blade into its skull.

It shuddered, arm grasping weakly at the Svefra before its body went still. She had to move quickly to keep her legs from being trapped beneath it as it fell to the earth.

Respite would not be given. A short ways away, two sellswords were battling with another Yukmen. But, its fellow was rushing at them from behind. "Hey!!!" Edreina shouted above the din of battle, rushing after the creature, lashing her whip so that she could hopef-

The Yukman turned, scenting the redhead with its overly large nostrils. Seeing a lone, weak-looking target beckoning to him, it bellowed and ran at her. It was growing closer and closer. Surprised and unsure of what she could to against a whole Yukman, Edreina began backpedaling slowly, spinning her whip in her hand as she warred against herself. Would she let it grow close and attempt to stab it? Or would she attempt to fend it off-

The problem was saved as one arrow embedded itself in the howling beast, slipping between its ribs. Surprised, it turned towards where the arrow had originated, baring its chest for the next arrow that managed to thud into its chest.

Shoulders heaving with adrenaline quickened breaths, Edreina turned just long enough to nod at the bowman, wherever he may be, before returning her eyes to the battle, body tensed as she prepared to face a new wave of horrors.
Edreina
Unbound

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Next