[Sunberth] Wishlist & Suggestion Box

A place where I can store a list of all the things I and the community would like to see in Sunberth, as well as a place to discuss the city's development.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A retreat for all matters OOC and discussions pertaining to the development of the city and everything within it. Post suggestions, partake in discussions or find the occasonal bit of useful trivia and information.

Moderator: Morose

Postby Twister on December 31st, 2013, 3:57 am

Wishlist & Suggestion Box

I really wanted an excuse to use this template sometime, too. But! On to more serious things.

Sunberth has been in a bit of a mess for a time. Many places of the city are hopelessly underdeveloped and it seems to me like people haven't really known in which direction they wanted to take it on any part or side, so I thought I would collect ideas and suggestions here in a good place accessible by everyone, so everyone can take part and discuss these ideas and do their part in leading the city into the future and furthering the development of this awesome, deliciously smelly den of crime and irresponsibility! :D

I don't actually have a list to share at this time, but if people want to start posting and sharing their thoughts in this little thread here, I might be getting a substantial list to add here soon. I do have some ideas that I've been bouncing about for a while that I'll post up here once I can formulate them properly, and until then... I'm just opening the suggestion box up for business, so to speak!

Okay, let's see;
  • Sunberth City Map - This is a given and something I've been sketching on. My goal is for it to be done by the beginning of Spring, at the very least, and be published along with an updated Linkmap.
  • Reputation System - Gangs. We have them. Plenty of them. And they fight eachother for turf all the time. It's my hope that I can implement a reputation system to represent PCs and their standings with the various different factions in the city. If you've any spontaneous ideas for this, let me know!
  • "Random Encounter" Index - Just something I thought of a while ago. Sunberth isn't exactly a peaceful city and people get into fights all the time, so I hope to construct a list of some kind of "standard NPCs" and what sorts of skill levels you can expect the standard citizen, thug or gang member to have so you know what you're up against (and to give moderators a good reference to work with).
  • Flora/Fauna - I've always wanted something like this for Sunberth and surrounding areas. Granted, I don't have any ideas for this besides various breeds of wild dogs, so any contributions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
  • Sunberth Bloodlines - This might seem like an odd one, but seeing as Sunberth and much of the "native population" are descendants of the old mining families, it's not unlikely that some of these family names still survive to this day. I think it would be good to give Sunberth some anchors, people with a history and pride in their names.

The Fairy Twistmother is standing by, eager to serve and listen!
Twister
Justice is Dead, Faith is Blind

Words: 258837
Joined roleplay: November 18th, 2012, 7:01 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Amora Jade on December 31st, 2013, 5:22 am

I've been wishing for awhile now that we had some sort of map of the city. That way we could know exactly where everything is located, instead of just improvising. I've tried to read the description in many of the Location threads to try and put my own map together, but since many of them don't say at all where they are it was left rather empty...

I know this would take some work, but it really would be worth it. Even just a rough outline would help tremendously.. That's all I have for now. :)

Amora Jade
Pronounced Thief

Words: 165569
Joined roleplay: September 28th, 2011, 10:53 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Postby Twister on December 31st, 2013, 12:52 pm

There, added a list to the OP with the map as the first point and then tacked on a few of my own that I dug out of my notes! :)
Twister

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Matthew on December 31st, 2013, 2:47 pm

I personally like the idea of "Reputation Points" or "Influence Points" being just another thing that can be awarded at the end of the thread. Or perhaps "Sunberth Reputation". There can be a predetermined list of things that give you reputation points, and/or you can just award them based on your own personal judgement. Certain amounts of reputation could lead to IC rewards (items, money, contacts, etc) and perhaps even be another method of joining a gang. (Even if you don't have the ideal skillset, the right amount of reputation will make you a member).

However, I am not sure if the reputation system needs to be similar to other pre-established systems in other cities, or if it can be solely unique to Sunberth?

So, for example.
Rough Spontaneous Draft :
Reputation Points

Listed Sunberth Reputation (SR) rewards are a general guideline, and may be decreased or increased by the Storyteller based on the specific situation.

Complete Minor InteractionIn a single thread, make a positive interaction with a specific faction. (1 SR)
Promote Faction in ThreadIn a single thread, spread positive rumors about a specific faction. (1 SR)
Complete a Reputation GoalComplete one of the listed Reputation Goals for this season that benefits a faction. (5 SR)
Complete Faction QuestComplete a quest that is given by, or benefits a specific faction. (10 SR)

Complete Minor InteractionIn a single thread, make a negative interaction with a specific faction. (-1 SR)
Slander Faction in ThreadIn a single thread, spread negative rumors about a specific faction. (-1 SR)
Complete a Reputation GoalComplete one of the listed Reputation Goals for this season that harms a faction. (-5 SR)
Complete Faction QuestComplete a quest that negatively impacts a faction. (-10 SR)

Reputation Goals

The Daggerhand
  • Bring any information of the Hound to Robern (+)
  • Associate in a positive way with the Hound (-)

The Night Eyes
  • Volunteer at the Orphanage for the betterment of Sunberth (+)
  • Reach (-10 SR) with the Daggerhand (+)

The Sun's Birth
  • Train with the Dragoons at the Dragoon Training Ground (+)

Reputation Rewards

(10 SR with the Night Eyes) A cold iron dagger, imprinted with the emblem of the Night Eyes.

This is pretty rough and may not make any sense. You can get negative points with factions, as well as positive points. General point rewards are just designed to promote immersion in the lore/environment of Sunberth. Reputation goals change per season, and are designed to increase reputation (+) or decrease it (-) by a decent amount, giving specific goals (as well as thread ideas). The Reputation goals are also designed to get players to RP at locations that don't get that much attention, as well as involve themselves in the current plots.

This is just something to get the gears churning, I suppose. I think it would be nifty if the reputation system gives points that can be turned in for cool rewards, and also promotes RP with current plots, involvement with other players, and immersion in Sunberth lore. I hope that all makes sense, and helps with future ideas.

EDIT: I also meant to mention that it might be interesting to have different "levels" of reputation. Once you get 10 points you are Rumored, once you get 20 points you are Favored, once you get 40 points you are Loved, etc. Perhaps instead of trading points for rewards, you just get to choose a reward when you go up a reputation rank. (When you become Rumored, choose this, this, or this reward!).

Matthew
Malfunctioning

Words: 1100152
Joined roleplay: June 24th, 2013, 9:37 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Guest Storyteller (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Twister on January 1st, 2014, 5:05 pm

Something I was thinking for the Reputation System is that you have separate reputations for the different factions in the city and also a "city-wide" sort of reputation listing, perhaps divided into certain areas with specific reputation ratings locally and with a city-wide average at the end that can be modified individually depending on the various heroics or villainous schemes people are up to. I'm also thinking of borrowing the idea of recording both negative and positive reputation separately (like Syliras is doing with the Shield Points, and as seen with fame and infamy in various tabletop RPGs as well) so certain amounts in either direction will lead to separate consequences.

Positive attention will lead to higher NPC support in certain areas and higher willingness of the populace to do you favours, give you information or just back you up in case you run into trouble, which essentially works to create individual "sanctuaries" down the line where you can get your rear into your "safe zone" if you run into trouble outside of it at some point. The same works in the opposite direction where you'll have to watch your step more closely in certain parts of the city if you have a bad reputation or the memories of your recent deeds are still too fresh in the minds of the populace. For city-wide reputation, it would be harder to gain but could be used to support you if you ever thought about establishing your own faction, building estates of your own and the like.

It's all pretty fuzzy right now, but I think you get the gist. :)

I do very much like the idea of faction and reputation goals, though. I'll have to look into a way to incorporate this with the bigger system, because the way I see it, it could only be neat. Perhaps to make a list of recyclable faction quests that can be lead by fellow players as well, yeah. Hmmm, hmmm, hmmm!

As for rewards, I'm going to be very careful with those. Perhaps not make them automatically awarded but more make certain levels of "acquisition" available to players who reach a certain level, but they'll still have to do the work to get the reward. This gives the rewards more meaning, as well. Hmm.
Twister

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Senghor Vilhjalmr on January 1st, 2014, 10:05 pm

I'm reading these ideas and I'm thinking, go for it. And reading Matthew's post I'm liking how he suggests the Reputation Points as something of Experience Points and how you could choose your reward...

But what really intrigues me is how the Factions and PCs will have individual RPs, the faction could be bad yet a members routinely does good, could that possibly work in such a manner that if a PC does good while the faction does bad, the Reputation of the Faction shifts?

Because if that one member does good, than people won't start looking at the Faction as bad, thus causing conflict within because the people's perception is changing?... Also, wouldn't it much more interesting to have a reward system in which earning your reward is as hard as gaining RPs making the reward, rewarding?... I dunno what you guys think, just random mumblings from an intrigued player is all!
Senghor Vilhjalmr
Player

Words: 273907
Joined roleplay: March 28th, 2013, 11:03 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Matthew on January 2nd, 2014, 8:14 pm

Oops, I should have fully clarified that in my post. I fully agree with the idea of the different factions having different points. In my example, when I had the "goals", they were specifically for different factions so you could grow more famous (or infamous) with those specific factions.

But yes, I like all of your listed ideas, and I'm excited to see what'll become of it in the future.

Matthew
Malfunctioning

Words: 1100152
Joined roleplay: June 24th, 2013, 9:37 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Guest Storyteller (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Vann on April 8th, 2014, 11:06 am

Another alternative method for introducing reputation somewhat independent of seperate systems per-faction could be to split it into two categories: Fame and Affiliation. This would also be Sunberth-wide.

Fame: Would have a base of '0' and could go as high as +100(fame) or as low as -100(infamy). Every 25 points in either direction you would gain a new classification (in the style of the skill points novice - master system).

If you do respectable things well, you gain fame (i.e. working with orphans).
If you do the opposite then you gain infamy (i.e. killing someone)

The concept here is that good deeds can balance out bad deeds to the point that if someone jumped between the two then the people of Sunberth, unable to gain an accurate read of the person, would treat them with the same suspicion they would treat a stranger.

If you're famous, then people will know about you for all of the good things you've done, and this will impact NPC interaction (how depends on the NPC and level of fame). The opposite holds true for infamy.

Rewards would not be items necessarily, but maybe things like discounts for certain items, etc. while they remain in Sunberth. There could be a decay of 25% of all points for each season spent outside of the city (as people start to forget about you).

Affiliation: This is where players will record their affiliation (e.g. a gang). The way to prevent a contrast between a PC member, their fame, and the group's reputation would be to add suitable fame restrictions as a prerequisite to join.

For example, to even meet Crow and Raven you must have a fame of +X. If at any point during your membership you decline to -Y you will be expelled from the gang (which would obviously have consequences, etc.)

An example table to be added to a CS would look like this:

Reputation - Sunberth
Fame Title Affiliation Other Notes
-25 Scoundrel (placeholder) The Daggerhand (Daggerhand Rank, etc.)

Just another idea for a less cluttered system. I have a PC in Syliras and I imagine it must be hard enough for graders to have to check all threads for shield points, let alone several other systems. As good as it would be to have a separate one for each gang, etc. from a practical standpoint it might be better to streamline it.

"Vann's Speech" | Vann's Thoughts | Telling A Story | NPC
Vann
The Storyteller

Words: 39858
Joined roleplay: March 31st, 2014, 12:07 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet

Postby Gad on April 8th, 2014, 10:03 pm

Some flora:

1)The plant that Pulp comes from.

2) Rotwood (or something) A type of heavy, parasitic, decomposing vine that grows on dead wood and eats it, collapses structures made out of wood under it's weight/by eating them slowly. Wooden structures need regular maintenance from it.

3) Sunsbreath, Synasol, Baroque Blooms, all various types of wild flowers

4) Sunberthan Magnolias, exactly what they sound like, with durable, tough leaves useful for waterproofing, and flowers that can produce an oil useful for safeguarding against Rotwood and other pests. Sometimes grow in the city.

5) Grandmother Oaks/Miner's Fruit Tree/Wellsap; ancient trees that anchor down entire forest ecosystems, they grow fat and squat, and more downward than they do upward (look like gnarled olive trees). Their roots will grow deep into underground deposits of minerals, nutrients, and into underground springs. These roots will then siphon these nutrients into larger, taller, nearby trees like large redwoods and share these with them, in exchange for the redwoods or other large tree doing valuable photosynthesis on their behalf. These white barked trees are sparsely leaved because of this, but sense other trees do their photosynthesis for the, they don't need to worry. Their sap, and the syrup made from it, are especially high in nutrients and has medicinal value when applied topically or ingested. They get their name of "Miner's Fruit Tree", despite not producing any actual fruit, for the bitter sweet root bulbs miners will sometimes find growing deep underground. These can be sucked on or made into tea, with similar properties as the sap. These trees are rare, and few in far between, usually there only is one in thirty or more square miles. Occasionally, if one follows the roots of such a tree, they will find it is merged with, and identical to, another tree many miles away.

5) (Caiyha's) Spite; a type of mistletoe that grows on the Grandmother Oaks occasionally, and is even rarer than they are. Produces something similar to potent soul-mist that attracts ghosts, and also a deathly toxic, bright fruit that tastes sweet like an apple or pear, have an especially pleasant fragrance, and takes several minutes before symptoms develop. Because of this, Spite blooms will often be surrounded by ghosts they themselves made. Possibly this is a further form of self-defense. Because of their semi-parasitic relationships to Grandmother Oaks, a grove containing a Grandmother Oak should be approached with caution as it can often be haunted. Too much Spite on a Grandmother Oak is evidence it's ecosystem is in danger, and is failing. The Spite does not cause the destruction, however, and is merely an opportunist that blooms in excess when the ecosystem is already damaged.

Fuana

1) Miner's Beetles; iridescent burrowing bugs that hurt most crops, except the magnolias they help pollinate. Can be crushed to make blue-black inks and dyes

2) South Syliran Bee; produces copious amounts of honey, used in mead and the Simpering Seacow's Sunberth shanties, but they are aggressive and can sting multiple times.

3) South Woods Hopper; a green grashopper that's relatively harmless, unless their are drought conditions in the Summers, then they meatmorphose into swarming locusts, dangerous for crops. Can be used to produce green dyes in their grasshopper state, but the chemical that turns the yellow with they turn to locusts is smelly and unpleasant to work with.

4) Canary Cave Cardinal; Once used by miners as indicators of poison gas leaks, these lovely yellow songbirds have escaped from captivity and now act in a fashion similar to bats, hunting in swarms at night via echolocation, and living in the mouths of caves or abandoned mines in large communities. Wild Djed and exposure to gas leaks has mutated them to be immune to the poison gas that they once indicated was present only with their deaths. Now, when a gas leak is nearby and they are exposed to it, they shift hue from yellow to red (hence the name) and stop singing their lovely songs, they also become slightly more aggressive. Farmers have a love hate relationship, as they eat the other crop pests, but for some crops, especially grains, they are themselves opportunist pests. They prefer to hunt insects, however.

3) Steeplejack: Similar to a mockingbird in appearance song reproducing abilities, it prefers high places, and nesting in shipyards and construction sites, and will often replicate the sounds of banging hammers or cutting saws in order to scare away predators and competition, although, they can also reproduce other bird songs. Often killed, and occasionally eaten, for their annoying noise production. Carpenters, masons, and shipwrights, however, can be a superstitious lot, and see a Steeplejack nest as a sign that construction is going smoothly and will be completed on time with out incident (perhaps because Steeplejacks are choosey in their nest locations and only choose the most active construction sites). This superstition doesn't deter the workers poaching a few eggs here and there, though. The Steeplejacks don't seem to care much, and often are prepared for this eventuality by having multiple nests with one or two eggs each, spread over an area.

4) Southern Cave (Mine) Bear; Giant bears that have commandeered old mining tunnels as haunts, and have likewise adapted to prolonged periods of dwelling underground. The have builds more like polar bears than grizzlies, and tend to be dark brown to black, with the occasional red.

5) Great Dire Deer; these things are just plain messed up. They're as large as moose, sometimes larger, and have jagged twisty antlers. They're strict herbivores, but kill other large animals, rather than rutting, for mating displays. They'll gore creatures repeatedly with their antlers, but won't kill them. When the creature cries out in pain, the Dire Deer will belt it's own mating call. The call will attract a doe, and the buck will then slaughter the hapless creature in front of her, trample it, and roll in it's entrails. They of course, never actually eat the thing, just kill it. They sometimes even get the drop on Southern Mine Bears. The two species have something of a rivalry. You'll find Great Dire Deer remains in a Mine Bear's stomach, and you'll find broken bear bones, trampled by the hooves of Great Dire Deer throughout the Southern Forrest.

6) Baroque Squid; small, ink producing polyps that range in size from a finger to a large man's hand. Locals like them pickled and fried, or stewed in their own iodine heavy ink, which is also sometimes produced for writing (although this isn't often, the only "men of letters" in Sunberth are merchants). Despite the evidence to the contrary, local fisherman have a legend that if these creatures are over fished, the lack of competition will cause some kind of megasquid to grow large and fill in the gaps, and so they're very careful about over hunting.

7) Snareless Hare; Clever hares that will often trigger traps on purpose in order to avoid stepping on them latter, on accident (hence the name "Snareless Hares") They're known to use tools (like sticks) occasionally, like ravens or crows would, to get at food. They're sneaky, clever, not as jumpy as regular hares, mildly omnivorous, are less fatty, quicker,and are even known to climb up trees and buildings to get at left around produce (carrots are their favorite). They will work in groups from from as small as three to as large as about seven in order to raid houses or granaries with open windows or doors. They're even sometimes known to follow their predator, the fox, into chicken coups. As the farmer chases after the fox with the hen in his mouth, Snareless Hares are inside, breaking eggs and lapping up the golden yokes.

8) Handymen/Masquerades; Basically large racoons, with predominately black fur, gray gloves, and white masks as opposed to the black of their smaller cousins. Called handymen because of their little hand-like paws and their useful natures. Farmers will sometimes keep them around, along with cats, or dogs, which they seem to get along with fine (mostly they ignore each other, although a Handyman will occasionally have to put those hands on a dog, or get in a swipe fight with a cat). They aren't kept in the house but the farmer will feed them and won't shoo them away from their land. The reason is that while the cat keeps away rats, and a dog keeps away intruders, a Handyman will keep away other handymen (not handyladies though) and more importantly; snakes. Handymen go out of their way to find snakes and eat their young, and kill the adults if they can, especially the poisonous kind. Possibly because Handymen and snakes compete for burrows, and the Handyman doesn't want the snake coming back eating it's babies when it gets bigger. Handymen adults tend to be resistant, if not immune, to most snake venoms that would be deadly to a man, but they're still occasionally killed by the snakes.

9) Rock lobster; a crustacean found around Baroque Bay with carapaces that somehow adapt to the color and texture of whatever the surrounding stones are, whether that be rough white pumice or smooth black stones. Tasty once you get through it's shell.

10) Wolvenskein; Large, with large heads, and fur so thin and sparse they're almost naked. They have massive fangs specialized for hunting other Canids whether those are domestic, strays, or wild dogs, or even the occasional lone wolf. Oh, and humans, and their cattle. Hides range from pale, to yellowish, to reddish to dark brown, and hair can likewise be a range of colors from blonde, to red, to black, that doesn't necessarily correspond with hide color. They have a bright range of eye colors similar to humans, in blues, greens and browns, and they always seem to be smiling when they pant. These traits cause some suspicion that the wolvenskein are actually mages who've shapeshifted into bestial forms and couldn't shift back though there is no indication that this is anything other than superstition from the distrustful population of Sunberth. Luckily Wolvenskeins do not play well with packs, and are always alone, unless mating (females are larger, by the way) , or defending territory for competition.

11) (Night) Howl; The Night Howl is almost the polar opposite of the wolvenskein as it is the ultimate dog's dog. Although, like the wolvenskein they also always seem to be grinning, though the look more like coyotes. They seem to interbred easily with wolves, strays, or the occasional domestic if they can get their paws on them, and the offspring is either a Night Howl, or it isn't. However, these hybrids tend to have some traits of the non-Night Howl parent, and a Wolf-Night Howl will prefer the wild, and a Dog-Night Howl will prefer the streets. Either way, Night Howls are gregarious and capable of fitting in with either group as the need arises. Despite this, they don't seem to occupy a solid spot in any niche and shift between worlds as the seasons go. They aren't apex hunters like wolves, they're only decent scavengers like strays, and while they occasionally might let a human offer to pet them, they may turn around and tackle that human the next minute, to run off with that person's lunch, so they certainly aren't pets either. They avoid direction confrontations, even with a pack behind them, and the only thing they seem to actively quarrel with is Wolvenskein, which they seem attuned to in some way, and can smell them from miles. When they do, they'll let out that eponymous bellowing howl, and set all the nearby dogs and wolves on alert. If the local house dogs seem eager to get away from their owners, it's probably the magnetic scent of a Night Howl that is making them eager for freedom. Night Howls can often be found as the natural leaders of packs of street dogs, or the ones leading a pack of wolves to a shepherds flock which they already scouted ahead of time. Humans are ambivalent to them because of this, and will kill them readily, only to regret it later when a wolvenskein appears on their land, unannounced.

Well, there is some flora and fauna.
Retired.
Gad
Gone

Words: 265579
Joined roleplay: January 27th, 2013, 2:07 am
Race: Ghost

Postby Cheu on April 24th, 2014, 10:57 am

I would like to see some kind of valuable natural resource being found close to/or in Sunberth. Like an area of the slum collapsing down in a sink hole and while the slum dwellers are clearing out the area to salvage what little can be saved someone spots a rich ore vein or something of the sort.

This could trigger a gang war to try and get control over the area where the biggest crime syndicates need to hire in smaller gangs and mercenarys to help them since they will need to stretch their manpower to the limit to be able to control both the new area and their old ones.

This could also be a chance for merchants and business owners to sponsor the gang they think they will benefit most from if they control the area, with great rewards if their gang wins. A great increase in services and manufacturing of different goods could also be an effect of this which might be fun for people who don't want to directly involve themselves in the turf war.

I think it could be a fun event that could give people inspiration for threads as well a possibility for "official" Mod threads with an exciting win or lose situation
Cheu
Player

Words: 2718
Joined roleplay: April 21st, 2014, 5:41 pm
Character sheet

Next