[Sunberth] Wishlist & Suggestion Box

A place where I can store a list of all the things I and the community would like to see in Sunberth, as well as a place to discuss the city's development.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A retreat for all matters OOC and discussions pertaining to the development of the city and everything within it. Post suggestions, partake in discussions or find the occasonal bit of useful trivia and information.

Moderator: Morose

Postby Dmitri Saratov on November 3rd, 2014, 3:44 am

Suggestion: I'd personally love to see Night Eyes have some more locations and information tied to them. Especially now they appear to have climbed the 'gang plank' (So punny!) to a status of being one of the more prominent ones, of the Gang Trinity.

Some of the things that could be useful to have, could be things like:

• Description of the (temporary) Headquarters of the Night Eyes, mainly how to access it or gain information of the current HQ's location. Additionally some minor description of its over-all look and feel could be fun.
  • Location Description of the 'Crazy Bird Lady's Nest, one of the main communication tools of the Night Eyes, from what I understood.
  • Possibly a Message Board, located at the HQ, with missions being hung up with a first-come first-serve approach. Yet with an OOC-note stating the minimum requirements needed to 'safely' complete a paritcular mission? This would help keep a certain sense of 'realism' to missions and counters powergaming/godmodding, imo.
  • An OOC Information as to how enter the 'hidden entrance' to the underground network of the 2 Towers in Sunberth (South & West). Possibly have a locked metal door somewhere in the tower's cellars. Shielded even maybe, especially to keep sound from behind the door 'in', as to not arouse suspicion from go-getting explorers?

There could be a warden ( = Guard) behind the door, who only opens the door after a certain sign. I was thinking there would be a small slit, just enough to slide the Insignia Miza through it. After confirmation by aforementioned guard the door would open and entrance provided to the mazelike network beneath?

Just my 2 ... CM? :)
Dmitri Saratov
The Rad Russian

Words: 79688
Joined roleplay: October 23rd, 2014, 6:25 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Monarch on February 13th, 2015, 4:29 pm

Hey everyone!

So I've been brainstorming a few things to help give Sunberth a nice, pretty makeover, and figured that I should open up this thread once more for some much needed suggestions. So come on, hit me up with whatever you want to see developed in the future! It can be specific locations you think need a revamp, systems that you believe should be in place, or brand new mechanics you want to introduce to the domain! Let me know how we can make Sunberth bigger, better, and greater than ever before.

My current development projects are:
- Revamping the Gated Community, Riverside, Robern's Reaches, and the Wolf's Den.
- Creating a standardized system for the creation of PC gangs, as well as a system for their expansion and interaction with the rest of Sunberth. (It's hard to describe, but it might come off looking like Risk-lite? Still in the early development stages.)
- Creating a Reputation System that tracks down the opinion of 'the Mob' regarding specific characters. Calculates one's fame, infamy, charm, respect within the community and helps inform moderators what Sunberth actually thinks of you.
Monarch
Did it for the juggles.

Words: 112689
Joined roleplay: May 7th, 2011, 1:32 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Postby Ayviss on February 14th, 2015, 12:51 pm

I'd personally like to see the Slave Market and the Slave's Row revamped. To have a little more information on how they are organized, what races, if any, are exotic enough in Sunberth to be considered "specialized interests", what kind of slaves are available in the Slave Market, etc.

I also found Twister's idea of the City Chronicles system an interesting one, and if it could continued to be developed, it would be very nice.

Lastly, you could create a NPC and/or location submission thread. I know there is a suggestion thread, but I haven't seen a submission one (although I may have just missed it). It can also contain a list of locations/NPCs you and the other players think needs revamping, so players can also help you with it.

Just my suggestions, though. :) Don't know if they are all possible.
Ayviss
Tell me the secrets whispered in the night

Words: 77386
Joined roleplay: September 25th, 2014, 11:50 am
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Monarch on February 14th, 2015, 1:43 pm

A revamp of the Slave Market and Slaver's Row is definitely in the cards, and I'm going to be fleshing out exactly how slavery in Sunberth works. It's the most lucrative business in the city, but so far there's not a lot of specifics about what the business consists of.

I thought the City Chronicles seemed an interesting idea as well, but I'd have to reread Twister's notes on it to get a sense of how best to run the system.

The NPC/Location Suggestion thread has informally doubled as a submission thread up until now, but I agree that having a development area for player submission would be very useful. I plan to reopen those topics, just to give everything a fresh start, in a few weeks or so when I get full moderation privileges. (i.e. being able to delete posts and topics.)
Monarch
Did it for the juggles.

Office
Donor (1)

Postby Glen Fiddich on February 14th, 2015, 2:14 pm

Instead of (or as well as?) trying to sort out a system for PC gangs, maybe it would be cool / beneficial to make being involved in the NPC gangs a bit more appealing?

I am still pretty new to Sunberth, so I may be a little off-base on this, but there is a little bit of a sense that the NPC gangs are a bit out of sight / out of mind. Unless you're directly affiliated with a particular gang, there's not many reasons to go into gang-controlled territory; most of what people need is in the unclaimed areas. While the gangs do show up in those areas (the incident in the Seaside Market at the start of this season for example), it's possible to avoid gang involvement almost entirely, if you're even a tiny bit careful about it.

It might be interesting to shake things up a little bit. Perhaps (now that the Scars are gone?) the gangs have started trying to get control of little pieces of those unclaimed territories. Perhaps certain taverns, businesses, etc are the victims of racketeering - maybe the Drunken Fish has been forced into loyalty with Gang A, while the Pig's Foot is now loyal to Gang B; perhaps a particular gang has taken over the Market, and/or a new NPC gang has risen to "protect" the market from the other gangs, but is charging protection money from the merchants to do it. The Knight's Armory already provides a discount to the Sun's Berth; perhaps Whiteflame's Cider Mill has been forced into loyalty with a particular gang, which means that the taverns affiliated with that gang are able to offer cheaper cider than elsewhere. Maybe over in Baroque Bay, different gangs (or one gang?) has taken control of certain piers, which gives a particular gang control of certain types of item coming into the city; perhaps a different gang has taken control of the storage houses, and there's some mafia-style deals between certain gangs - Gang A can bring in textiles from Sahova, but they need a deal with Gang B to store it in their warehouses, until they're able to sell it to the merchants, who have to pay a cut to their Gang C protectors... some sort of system that makes the gangs and their organized crime antics a bigger part of every-day life.

Also, it might be cool to see some sort of perk system based around the kind of standing people have with those NPC gangs. If there was a system that allowed PCs to advance within the NPC gangs, there might not be as much of a need for PC gangs - being the leader of a small group might be less fulfilling than being a mid-level guy in a larger group, with both PC and NPC underlings to make your life more interesting.

That's just my preference/perspective though, so it might not appeal to anyone but me. :lol:

Also, sorry for being so long-winded. :paranoid:
Glen Fiddich
Let me axe you a question...

Words: 50009
Joined roleplay: October 2nd, 2014, 9:03 am
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Monarch on February 14th, 2015, 10:45 pm

In my experience with players both on and off site, players will never be as interested in something built by the NPCs or the game master as they are in something that they can create themselves. So while the factions of Sunberth are all very interesting, and I'd love to expand on their politics and conflicts, I believe that PCs gangs will always be more in more demand than NPC gangs. And there's a big need for a way to standardize their creation and give some rules for their conduct; in the past, everything was run according to the moderator's discretion, and this could result in some big problems with how the gang was running themselves. To prevent those problems from occurring in the future, as well encouraging greater PC involvement in the city's politics, I believe some rules need to be established for PC gang play.

That being said, I do have a lot of plans for the current factions in the city. Seasonal events and quests for the Big Three, the expansion of their territories and the effect this has on the city, and rules for faction promotion and benefits are all going to be coming to the city within the next few months. I want to make people get interested in the faction politics and invested in their success, and to do that, I'll be fleshing out faction play a great deal.

Thank you for your suggestions, Glen!
Monarch
Did it for the juggles.

Office
Donor (1)

Postby Dmitri Saratov on February 20th, 2015, 11:43 am

I would personally love to see more concrete information as to how the Night Eyes' locations are and how the gang operates, but that's just personal preference of course. I'm sure there are more pressing matters and plans in the works :)
Dmitri Saratov
The Rad Russian

Words: 79688
Joined roleplay: October 23rd, 2014, 6:25 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Ayviss on February 23rd, 2015, 4:16 pm

I think a list of Sunberth's fauna and flora would be nice, too.
Ayviss
Tell me the secrets whispered in the night

Words: 77386
Joined roleplay: September 25th, 2014, 11:50 am
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Autumn Leithea on July 3rd, 2016, 8:18 pm

I've been saying this before, I think it should be tradition in Sunberth to be visibly carrying a weapon. Aside from purely a traditional thing to do it shows off that EVERYONE in Sunberth is dangerous; and that's how it should be. It accentuates the lawless, violent nature of the city itself, and helps point out outsiders to the ever wary eyes of the Sunberthian people. It doesn't matter if you wear an assassin's dagger or a sword, it should be tradition to wear some sort of weapon visibly on one's person.

Hope this helps to let Sunberth truly ring with the overtones of violence and anarchy that Sunberth always provides!
Autumn Leithea
Bohemian exuberance! :)

Words: 76525
Joined roleplay: January 30th, 2012, 7:00 am
Character sheet
Plotnotes

Previous