Completed [The White Swan]Freedom and Fine Memories(Oriah)

Oriah and Marrick share some breakfast after a turbulent night.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

[The White Swan]Freedom and Fine Memories(Oriah)

Postby Marrick Corvis on January 22nd, 2014, 4:38 am

Winter 4th Morning 513 AV

The desert sun beat down on Marricks back as he shambled like some rotting Nuit through the endless wastes. The sand scorched the bottoms of his feet and continually found its way in between his toes, almost as if the very ground wished to hamper his progress. He felt as though no drink or imbibement would slake his thirst and with each dune crested, it seemed more and more as though the desert went on forever. Yet the softest of breezes pushed at his back, urging him forward, like some gentle guiding hand.

As he crested the hump of a massive dune his eyes fell upon an oasis, green and safe. ‘Well thes es quoite convenient.’ He said aloud to himself as he stopped to take a breath, his salvation in sight. He stood there watching, and waiting for the next breeze to blow the apparition of safety away from him, yet the oasis did not sway in his vision. It seemed a bastion of beauty that rested in this desolate place.

What was he thinking? For that matter, why wasn’t he flying through the desert? Only one thing seemed clear to him, and that was that he was afraid of it. Things that seemed safe were not always so. At last the Kelvic worked up the courage to shed his clothing and transformed into a Raven. Enthusiastically he dipped into a short sand bath before he stretched his wings and took flight. But as he descended to the green respite from his exhausting journey, the Oasis seemed to move away from him.

After multiple failed attempts to land in the oasis he descended to the crest of the dune where he left his clothes and transformed back into the man. A look of frustration on his face and his dehydration headache getting worse, he slipped back into his clothes. With a stressful sigh, he descended the dune on foot. Somewhere in his head he realized that this was why he walked. Why he chose to be in human form. It was the only way he could reach the oasis.

As his aching feet brought him closer, the oasis diminished before his eyes until at last all but a shallow pool of standing water lay out before him, surrounded by the scrub grass, and sand. Slowly, he waded into the warm wet pool and submerged himself. Marrick shut his eyes with relief in his heart and let himself float, his body weightlessly buoyed up by the water. His feet felt immediately less painful, and his body felt as if it were lapping up the liquid.

“Why don’t you take a drink?” the whisper came in his ear, and for a momentary glance he realized that Oriah held him as he floated there in the pool. Disbelief clear in his eyes, he blinked.

The ceiling of an unfamiliar room greeted the squire as he cracked his grimy and bleary eyes. Like some magical marionette whose strings had been cut, he awkwardly tested body and limb for mobility. The muscles in his belly ached, as did his jaw, while his arm felt as if it had been filleted by a knife. When the squire felt he was still in one peace, he lay their quietly trying to remember what had happened the night before. The Rearing Stallion, Kevith the BarKeep, and Oriah.

With the Memory of the Benshira’s name, the night’s events rushed into his mind’s eye like falling water, crowding his aching head with visions of what had happened. He had been drunk. That much was certain to him. His first time getting sloshed and it had nearly gotten him killed. Though, the knowledge that it had not been his intention to die encouraged the idea of doing it again sometime. Truly, it would have been a spectacular night if there had been less violence and murder, and more wine, music, dancing, and food.

The Kelvic took one long deep breath and the chime of a clock hanging from the wall drew his attention away from the ceiling. As Marrick turned his aching neck to help take in the room around him, he realized that he no longer had a shirt. Yet one more puzzled situation to add to the long list that formed in his head.

Otherwise the room was simplistic and elegant. Fine velveteen curtains hung in front of the shudders of each window. Fresh flowers lay in a white porcelain vase on a finely carved Bronzewood table. The whole room seemed in lock step with the theme of Bronzewood and Velveteen, accept for the occasional tasteful application of silk, or sheer fabrics. Though nothing had laid his befuddled mind to rest, as to where he was, and how he had gotten there.

The last thing he could remember was being in the alleyway, Oriah helping him to his feet and a rather painfully long walk back into the Rearing Stallion where he promptly had passed out.

As his eyes travelled at last to the floor, things began to come into perspective. On the fine slatted wood, Oriah’s form lay tangled up in her blankets. He had been in rough shape last night and the Kelvic realized this must have been her room at the White Swan, for where else would one find themselves so locked in a tender struggle with ones linens. As he watched her sleep, she seemed younger for some reason, a concept the Raven couldn’t quite put to words, but it intrigued him none the less. Seeing her there sleeping so serenely, filled Marrick with an imperative to maintain silence.

On the wall near the door, he saw his gear, patiently waiting for his return. Silent as a leaf on the breeze he rolled his painful and mangled body out of Oriah’s bed, and as carefully as he could manage put his weight on the floor boards. The squire’s gentle descent was met with the subtlest sound of creaking wood.

With a slow and gentle effort he stood silently and stretched out as far as he could comfortably manage with his bruised body. The occasional soft pop of tendon and joint filled him with an odd satisfaction. As Marrick stood straight and still, he inspected the fruits of his last eve’s labor. His arm was the worst of it. A large bandage wrapped what he could imagine was a long, yet tended wound. Still, he felt he might have managed a repeat dance of the night before, however painful it would have been.

Though now was not the time for dancing. Sick as he felt, the Kelvic knew that food was the order of business. So the Raven set his mind to silent escape, and eventual return. With a keen and clever eye, he observed the floor boards, his goal lay in where the joists below might run. The closer to the joist he walked, the less movement there would be in the floor boards. Slowly he edged his foot along the slat line in the wood and silently walked to his gear near the door. Then with the softest slip of fabric on leather he removed his Black Gambeson from his pack.

With a nonchalant flip over his shoulder he draped the garment over his broad frame and left the room behind. He was careful to lay the latch down, instead of let it fall down on the hook with a clap. An effort not wasted, as the latch fell into place with an almost inaudible thump. Once he was safely in the hallway he slipped the gambeson on over his shoulders and buckled its six fasteners, testing each for tightness.

With each step forward down the hallway he felt more and more like he was about to vomit. This must be what people called a hangover. Why on earth do people drink if they get one of these afterward? He thought to himself as he fought the lightheadedness he felt overcoming his senses.

Finally like an angel of mercy a young server boy appeared, eyeing him with a look of concern. “Ser?” he said timidly as Marrick rubbed his eyes to try and get the headache to go away.

The Kelvic sighed softly as he moved from his eyes to the bridge of his nose. “Nae sa loud Boyo, I can hear snails crawlin roight now.” After a moment, he noticed the boy hadn’t left, and instead had continued to stare at him with a look of confusion. “Forgive meh manners son, I’ve had a rough noight. Can ye take me teh the baths, Oi need a bit o’ proivacy.”

The young man nodded vigorously and offered his shoulder to the Kelvic. “Please sir. Use my shoulder. I can help.”Marrick must have looked quite the wreck, as this spritely young fellow was offering him his shoulder. With a little smile and a gracious nod, he lay one hand over the boys arm and let him lead the way. Within minutes Marrick found himself alone in a stall, expounding what remained of the night before, the poor lad waiting for him outside with a towel and a glass of milk.

When he finished, the Squire stepped out and sat down next to the young man, and gratefully took the small cup of milk, sipping at it carefully. “So, tell meh Son. Am Oi the warst ye’ve ever helped teh the priv?” He said humbly, the guilt apparent in his voice.

“No sir, we’ve had knights and squires a’plenty who’ve come in from a night of drink. Typically from the Outposts. Not much fun, out there I’m told.” The young man spoke vigorously. “I hope to be a squire someday!” he said with a proud smile.

“Why aren’t ye a page yet son?” Marrick said after chancing a longer swig of milk. Somewhere in its off white silken contents, Marrick recognized an additional flavor. When he examined the contents, he noticed a slight discoloration. “and what have yeh put in moy drenk?”

The page bowed his head pleasantly. “Ser Erik says I’m not yet ready to join the order and that I make a difference here at the Swan, helping people, like Lady Collins and Mashila. And the Milk has a bit of barley mash in it. It helps you to steady up.”

“Barley mash? You mean thars whesky in thes?” Marrick said with a chuckle. “Ye’r pullin meh leg boyo.” Marrick grinned at the lad, the crows feet touching his eyes.

“Yes ser, hair of the dog after a night as a wolf. Helps any monster become a man again.”

“Well boyo, ain’t yeh full o’ good stories.” Marrick said after polishing off the cup of milk. With a grateful smile, he pressed a silver miza into the boys hand along with his empty cup. “Alroight now, I thenk I have a koind lady waitin fer me. Do yeh have any food available fer me teh bring back up?” The Kelvic said with smile. The young man seemed to gush with joy at the mention of yet another task to help Marrick with, which made the Squire smile with incredulity.

Before long, the young fellow had guided him to the kitchens, where the wee chap explained the situation to a kindly looking lady in an apron. She gestured for the boy to go, and he bowed to her before he fled as if on urgent business. The woman eyed him up and down with the look of a hawk and beckoned him to come closer. Obediently the squire walked forward and bowed his head.

“Good morn M’lady. Oi apologize fer makin sech a fuss last noight. If’n thars anythin I could do to make it up to yeh or the house, Oi’d be pleased teh make it so.” Marrick said, his head still bowed.

The woman eyed him with an appraising gaze and turned her nose up to him. “You could start by taking a bath, but for now I suppose getting that poor woman who harbored your battered corpse last night something to eat, would be better.” She said with an air of disapproval.

“Oi agree with yer koind appraisal M’lady. And food would be more appreciated than foine gold.” He rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly with his good arm and smiled weakly. “I don’t thenk there is anythin, that Oi could possibly do teh repay Lady Oriah fer the koindness she’s given meh.”

The cook seemed to brighten a little at his comment and nodded approval before she smiled slightly. “At last a man who values a woman’s labors.” She said before beckoning him to follow her back into the kitchens. With a sly look to her narrowed eyes, she showed him to a seat where he could wait while she cooked up something for him.

“Could Oi help in any way M’lady?” Marrick said as he eyed the kitchen with subdued curiosity.

“Polite, Knows that women are beyond value, and domestic.” She chuckled softly to herself. “Don’t tell me. You were raised by your mother?” She chuckled softly as she pulled a half dozen farm fresh eggs from a wicker basket.

“Aye, M’lady. Koind and woise, ye are.” He said with a smile.

“Well aren’t you possessed of a silver tongue.” She said smiling at her mixing bowl as she cracked an egg and dropped it in. “I’m Samantha Trevas.” She said over her second cracked egg. “You can call me Sam.”

“Marrick. A pleasure, M’lady.” Marrick smiled genuinely, and nodded. “Oi’m a fair beater sam. Oi can whisk those eggs for ye, if ye loike?”

“Don’t be silly. I get paid to work.” She said with a dismissive wave of her hand. “Tell me a story. It will help pass the time.”

Marrick bowed his head thoughtfully. He couldn’t think of any stories, save one. So, with a deep breath he fortified his courage and began.

“Once in Ravok, there was a moighty arena champion. A proud bruiser, who’s sweftness was legend, and his ruthlessness in the field of battle a song for bards.” He began. “He commanded a hoigh proice teh be fought, and a hoigher proice teh be bed. And yet, the man loved a sad and dark haired beauty. She was his secret, and his safe haven from the warld he lived en.” As the cook beat the eggs, the squire spoke on, with a strange little smile on his face.

“Their secret love bore a son, and loike his mother he was dark of hair, fair of skin, and had pale blue eyes.” He watched as she lay the eggs into a skillet along with a half dozen strips of bacon. The sizzling savory smell wafted toward him and he was momentarily distracted.

“I can tell already this is going to be a sad tale.” She said as she split a wizened orange with a large knife. With a deft hand she squeezed its juice into a pitcher.

“Aye, bittersweet as anythin in loife.” He said, as she beckoned him to join her near the oranges. She offered him the knife, handle first and gestured for him to continue. “Jest as weth any secret, it came teh loight. The lovers were taken from each other, and their choild was sold, as slave children often are.” Marrick sliced five oranges, squeezing each of their contents into the glazed stoneware pitcher.

“With nothin left teh leve fer, the arena foighter faltered, and his loife was taken.” He paused a moment before he picked up the pitcher and laid it on a nearby carrying tray. With a casual air, he picked up a pair of plates off a shelf, along with a couple of empty cups. With the familiarity of a scullery boy he laid them on the platter alongside the pitcher.

As he turned to Samantha to see how the eggs and bacon were coming he noticed that she had stopped stirring the contents of the skillet to furtively wipe away a tear. With a sudden burst of enthusiasm the cook lifted the skillet and tenderly pushed its contents equally onto each plate. “So what happened to the wee babe?” She said before she took a long sigh.

Marrick’s smile was mysteriously light, as it scarcely touched the corners of his mouth. “The choild grew up, much loike his mother. Though, strange as it seem, he leved his loife weth a joy, fought fer every day.” He said with the slightest of bows of his head to the kindly cook.

“Well, Sylir lives on through us dear squire. All good folk seek his peace.” She said as she added a couple of fresh rolls to the plates on his carry tray.

“I thenk that’ll do Lady Sam.” He said with a slow and careful grasp of the tray. “Thank ye fer yer koindness M’lady.” He bowed his head once more before he started for the door.

“A moment squire!” Samantha called out behind him.

As Marrick turned he found that she had a pair of small cups for tea, and a full pot. With a careful hand born from serving, she laid them on the tray.

It was her turn to fix him with a mysterious knowing smile. “And these are from Ravok.” She said as she lifted a bunch of grapes. “For the story. I hope you enjoy them.” She whispered, at last stepping back giving him his leave.

“Wee babe.” Marrick heard as he reached the doorway to the kitchens. He halted but for a moment and took one last deep breath of the familiar feeling kitchen, and went back to Oriah’s room.

He entered similarly to the way he left. Silence his objective, he lay down the tray at the foot of the door, and lifted the latch quietly. He expected Oriah to still be asleep as he lifted the tray, and quietly crossed the threshold.
Last edited by Marrick Corvis on February 13th, 2014, 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marrick Corvis
Rest under my Wing

Words: 268368
Joined roleplay: November 18th, 2013, 12:29 am
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Oriah on January 24th, 2014, 3:17 am

In her dream, Priah was alive.

Oriah could remember every detail of her other half. The glow of her sister's Syna touched skin, the soft sound of her laughter, the weight of her dusty hair. Though they were twins, there had always been minute differences that allowed those with keen eyes to tell them apart. One was just a hair taller. The other a bit fuller in the face. Things like that. Not that any of it mattered, because they were inseparable, and their personalities spoke well enough of their differences on their own. Differences like courage, and cowardice.

Because Priah had been afraid. Had been weak. And now she was dead.

Standing over her twin's limp, withering body, Oriah screamed. She screamed over and over for Priah to get up, to fight! To not surrender! She stamped her feet, she shook her sister's bony shoulders, she splashed hot, angry tears on dusty fabric that evaporated within ticks as she howled herself dry. But Priah did not get up.

Oriah tried to drag her sister's body through the sand but it was impossibly heavy. Even with her adult strength, she could not pull Priah's dead weight for more than a few feet before she let go and collapsed into the burning sand, panting with exhaustion.

A moment was all she needed before stubborn will lent her strength again to crawl back to Priah. Except, instead of her twin, Oriah found the much larger, much sturdier body of the squire. He was bleeding and bruised everywhere. What had happened? Hadn't the doctor fixed him? She felt beyond confused, but now was not the time to worry about how he had come to be here. He was hurt. He was going to die.

Wake up! Get up! We have to get you help! she tried to shout but the words stuck like paper in her throat. Priah's light weight allowed some hope of being dragged along through the sand. But the squire was far too heavy, Oriah knew that just from having tried to walk him back inside the tavern.

And then, like a ghostly apparition, Priah appeared. She was crouched on the other side, staring down at Marrick with sad, forlorn eyes. She looked very much as she had in life, but her clothes were more tattered, and there was a hollow gauntness to her blue-tinged features. "Shhh," the ghost child whispered. "You don't have to fight anymore. Just sleep. Just rest..."

A terrible, horrifying rage filled Oriah from limb to limb. Before she knew it, she was screaming "No!" and lunging at her sister...

...only to grasp nothing as she opened her eyes, having sat bolt right in her makeshift bedding.

It took a moment for her to remember where she was. The Benshira was gulping for air as if she'd been drowning moments before, her mind still numb with shock.

She had never been violent toward Priah.

Before she could dwell further on this matter, she realized with a start that there should have been one other person in the room. Oriah kicked off her blankets and checked the bed, but there were only wrinkles in the sheets. She sank back down onto her blankets, wondering. Where could Marrick have gone, wounded as he was?

More than a little worried, she crawled on all fours over to her pack and began pulling out clothing. On second thought, she realized, setting down the clothes once more, Marrick could return at any moment and it would not do to have him walk in on something unseemly. With a nod, the girl stood and walked barefoot out of the bedroom to her door, slowly lifting the latch.

There was no one up and about, save one, young serving boy sweeping the floor. Oriah hadn't quite learned his name yet, so she struggled a bit before uttering, in all of her social brilliance,
"Umm...Hello."

The boy jumped ten feet at the sudden sound amidst such dead silence. He whipped around, face white as though he'd seen an apparition. "Oh! Y-yes, ma'am. Hello. Er, can I help you?"

Oriah smiled as disarmingly as she could. She hadn't meant to scare the poor child out of his wits.
"Yes. So sorry have startled you, but did you happen to see where a very hurt looking squire went earlier this morning?"

A look of recognition lit up the boy's humble features. "I did! He was a nice fellow, a bit banged up and hung over though. I helped him get down to the kitchens for some breakfast. You must be the kind lady he was waiting for. Would you like for me to show you the way?"

Oriah blinked in surprise, both at the boy's eagerness to help and that the Marrick had spoken of her. It made her itch with inexplicable curiousness. What else had he, or could he have said?
"No that is quite alright," she shook her head, "I shan't trouble you further."

With a wink, she added, "I know my way to the kitchens well enough, but thank you for the offer."

The Benshira waved goodbye, to which the boy responded in kind with a sheepish grin, and made her way down the stairs to the kitchens. If he had noticed her lack of shoes, he made no mention of it. The boy had done a good job of sweeping; she felt nary a pebble nor mote of dust beneath her bare soles.

As Oriah neared the kitchen, two distinct sets of voices rose to meet her ears. The first, she knew to be Lady Samantha. The other, the familiar timber of Marrick. Not wanting to intrude, she crept quietly down the last few stairs, careful not to make the old floorboards creak too loud, and tip toed her way over. She loitered a bit near the entrance, waiting for a good time to greet them both.

After a handful of ticks, the girl began feeling increasingly guilty. It felt like she was spying on them, especially when she heard her name paired with the word "kindness" yet again. The Benshira was just about to sneak back to her room in embarrassment when she froze mid-creep. Marrick had taken in a deep breath, then began a story about a mighty arena champion in Ravok. Unable to resist, Oriah swiveled back around and pressed against the walls, listening to his tale unravel.

When he reached the part where the arena fighter--his father, she could only assume--faltered, the love of his life having been torn from him, and died, the girl felt a pained sigh escape her lungs. She, too, knew what it was like to lose the very center of one's world.

Lost in the sorrow of the story, Oriah barely realized Marrick had finished conversing with Sam and was about to leave the kitchens. She panicked. What should she do? She couldn't very well let him catch her out her, skulking about like a petty burglar. It was beyond her imagination what he might think if he saw her in the midst of such suspicious activity. For a moment, she was sure she was doomed.

"A moment squire!" Sam called.

Praised be Yahal! The Benshira wasted not a second tick as she flew up the stairs two at a time. Then she threw open the latch to her door, closed it as swiftly and softly as she could, and ran past the sitting room into the bedroom. She paced back in forth in tiny circles, wondering how she should position herself. Should she pretend to be asleep? Or to have just woken up? Or--

Oh gods, he was coming up the stairs. Would he know? Would it be obvious she had been sneaking about like some unholy thief in the night, listening in on his private conversations? Oriah felt her face turn five different shades of red as she imagined the humiliation of such a discovery. But what could she do, other than stand there in stupefied mortification?

He was lifting the latch now. Oriah gulped. There was no turning back. She would have to face judgment.

The door swung open to reveal the still bruised but significantly improved visage of a smiling squire, as well as a tray of food and tea in his hands. Her heart melted a little at the sight, especially at the bandage covering that nasty gash on his arm, and her awkward apology for having spied on him died prematurely in her throat.

"Ahh...good morning!" she managed. Then she caught a whiff of the delectable food on his tray and her stomach rumbled loudly. Oriah put her arms over her abdomen, though she was not quite embarrassed enough not to ask, "Is that for us, by any chance?"

"Common"
"Shiber"
Oriah
Never Stray

Words: 364847
Joined roleplay: December 5th, 2013, 5:06 am
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Marrick Corvis on January 25th, 2014, 8:59 pm

The heavy oak door opened slowly as he pushed his way through, the tray of tea, and breakfast safely held in his arms. His left arm ached dully from the wound in it, but he was proud of his success. He focused on the tray to keep it from spilling, yet as his eyes lifted to find a place to put their breakfast, he found Oriah standing in her evening clothes. The site of her awake and clothed for modesties sake, made his heart skip a beat.

Yet, Marrick caught himself smiling inexplicably at her with a slight and simple upturn at the corners of his mouth. He watched as her expression changed subtly as he cocked his head faintly to one side. She seemed to almost calm in his presence, even though he felt more awkward than a duck in a desert, holding the tray as he did. He saw her eyes move over him to his wounded arm and he felt the subtle pang of self-consciousness prod his liver. Her gaze almost made him wince as it rested on his wound, and he could have sword he felt its ache more acutely.

Gratefully she broke the awkward silence and spoke. “Ahh...good morning!" she spoke in what the squire was beginning to believe was her typically bold and boisterous tone. His smile waxed and waned as he watched her sniff at the contents of his bountiful tray. ‘They truly are loike animals.’ He thought to himself as he heard her belly burble in anticipation. “Is that for us, by any chance?” She said with modest covering of her offending stomach.

His smile grew to a beaming grin as he stepped forward slowly to the table. “Good Mornin, to you!” he crooned as he laid the tray to rest. “I taught Oi’d bring ye somethin from the skellet.” He said with his little knowing smile on his face. He felt odd setting a table for breakfast. It had been an age since he had done so for anyone he actually wanted to. His little smile grew and diminished as his thoughts marveled over the complications of such a feeling.

“I understand yer hungray, or so the delicate rumblins of yer stomach insinuated.” He said with a pleasant smile. “Please,” he said his eyes shutting tightly as his smile grew to a beaming grin. The offer made, he took a seat. The old tended oak wood made soft creaks as he laid his weight onto the chair, and plucked his biscuit from his plate and took a bite.

Just as he had the evening before, Marrick found himself watching Oriah like a hungry hawk. He knew it was the Raven in him that made him so curious and compulsively prone to solving puzzles. And Oriah was a very new, very complicated puzzle. “Did ye sleep well?” He said after swallowing his bite of bread.

With some effort he averted his gaze to the eggs on his plate, yet he couldn’t resist taking her in again. It was like an itch he needed to scratch. His eyes found their way back to her, and he watched her a moment as he awkwardly fumbled for a tine to eat his eggs with. “Oi’ never thanked ye fer savin moy Loife.” He said as his face turned sincere for a moment. “Oi can remember onlay one other person willin teh risk ther loife fer meh.” ‘Poor Gypsy.’ He thought to himself. He remembered his foster mother, and desperately tried to see her as she was when she was alive. He shook the thought from his head and refocused his attentions on Oriah, who naturally seemed concerned. “Forgeve meh old memories.” He said with a smile. “Oi have no means teh repay ye. Fer tha moment, all Oi can give yeh is thankence.”

With a casual poke of his tine, he speared a large piece of egg and dished it into his mouth. For just a moment he savored the rich flavor. “Oi swear, food has become meh new vice.” He said his eyes closed in empirical bliss, his voice turned melodic once more. A soft sigh escaped his lips after he swallowed the morsel and opened his eyes to watch his hostess again. She was beautiful, yet road worn. An unusual combination that intrigued the Kelvic. In Ravok, Women like Oriah would have been carted about on a Gondola by handsome suitors, and the smart ones would have offered her a king’s ransom in dowry. But what sort of machinations were those of a slave. “So tell me a bit about yerself Lady Azari.”

Again the Kelvic caught himself shaking the ideas from his head as a wet dog might water. He felt as though he were jabbering on like jay on a bough, so he made an effort to shut up and focus on his food. He poured Oriah a cup of Juice, and then some for himself before he took the glass and took a swig, listening to her for a time.

He made short work of his food. All of it went down smoothly, and as an added benefit settled his stomach. He realized then that he must have had something on his face, and he wiped it clean. “Apologies, Oi’m a bet ravenous today.” He grinned, his smile a mask for the truth.

At that point he spent his time polishing off the food on his plate. He would not waste a single morsel of food. Not even the grease from the bacon, which he wiped up with the tufty remnants of his breakfast roll. Feeling fed and found he set his deserted plate back on the tray and poured them each a cup of tea.
Marrick Corvis
Rest under my Wing

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Oriah on January 27th, 2014, 9:26 am

Oriah's eyes bounced from tray to squire to tray with mixed feelings of poorly concealed anticipation, curiosity, and uncharacteristic nervousness. The first, because she was ravenous. The second, because she was still growing accustomed to Marrick's lilting accent and uncontested good cheer, which blazed on like mystic fire in spite of his brutal beating from the night before. And the third, because he was staring at her like there was a riddle inked clear across her face.

Normally, the Benshira found it a simple matter to accept how people looked in her direction or sized her up. Being half a world away from the Eyktol meant she was foreign no matter where she went, and her profession practically demanded she be observed from head to toe. But, something about Marrick's curious gaze caused things to slide out of their usual patterns. Made her more anxious, more cautious. Tilted her off balance. And it was very, very rare for her to be anything but balanced.

Strange... Oriah wondered as she smiled back and took a seat opposite to the squire. She watched as he bit into a biscuit, only to drop her gaze and resort to grabbing her own warm lump of bread, stuffing it into her mouth as his pale eyes met hers. The room was starting to feel a bit stuffy, despite Lady Winter's evident arrival into the city. Brushing some hair from her face with the back of her hand, the girl set down the biscuit to exchange it for a fork. Her cheek felt warm. Too warm. Was she coming down with a fever?

At Marrick's harmless question, Oriah looked up, her anxiety momentarily forgotten.
"Yes! Like the dead," she answered, beaming. Then she remembered her dream, how very dead Priah had looked, and how close the squire himself had come to a similar fate. The common tongued idiom suddenly lost its humorous appeal, and the light in her eyes dimmed. "That is...well. I slept well. How about yourself? How is your arm feeling?"

She stabbed her eggs for a bit before she speared some into her mouth, caught between wanting and not wanting to unglue her eyes from her plate. As they ate, Oriah could sense the squire watching her from time to time and resisted bolting from her seat to find a basin of water and mirror.

Then he began to thank her, ever so sincerely, for saving his life, and she set her fork down in mid swallow. The Benshira searched Marrick's face as he explained he could only remember one other person willing to risk their life for him. She wondered furiously who it could have been. Family? Friend? Lover? But she couldn't bring herself to interject with her question as he went on claiming he had no way of repaying her except in gratitude.

"You needn't worry about that," Oriah shook her head. "And there's no shame in old memories if they're good ones."

She was about to say more, but then he closed his eyes as he savored the taste of their hearty breakfast. A grin tugged at the corners of her lips; she'd felt exactly the same during her first few days beyond the reach of the deserts. Everything tasted so incredible her mind fair melted with her inability to cope. And it certainly didn't help that Sam's cooking could rival that of Old Kevith's clever wife. Oriah found herself enjoying watching Marrick eat, as if every bite was his first. Then he sighed and opened his eyes, and the Benshira forgot she had been staring a beat too late. She turned her attentions to her food, wolfing a bit of it down to catch up with the squire's rapidly shrinking portions.

“So tell me a bit about yerself Lady Azari.”

Oriah wiped the edges of her mouth with a cloth, gratefully accepting a cup of juice. After a good swig of delectable sweetness, she looked up at Marrick once more with some of her old confidence.
"Me? Well...I was a bit of handful for the elders of my Tent. Which is why I'm here, seeking ways to remain faithful to Yahal while I remain faithful to myself as well."

Realizing this might leave more questions than the squire had started with, she explained, "Our Tent was our family, our community, and we traveled together from one place to another, working to survive. I was...a little more creative in my desires to live out Yahal's teachings, as my father liked to put it. Priah, my twin, has--had always been more prudent. Eventually, it became clear it would be better for both me and my Tent family if I lived out my creative interpretations elsewhere. Fortunately, I was trained well in Benshira dance and have used it as a means of living. People seem to enjoy it, though I keep my daggers on hand if anyone enjoys it a little too much."

The girl inhaled another forkful of eggs thoughtfully. "I think the cooler weather here makes many people confused as to why our traditional costumes are so...ah, what's the word? Scanty?" Oriah shrugged, as though the conjecture was a stretch, despite her having suggested it. "It is hot out in the deserts of Eyktol. Anyone there, with or without dancing, would prefer more breathable and unrestricted clothing."

She stared at her biscuit for a moment, and the heat returned to her cheeks. "I'm sorry, I've rambled on far too much. Though I see it's given you a good chance to return some nourishment to your body."

Marrick apologized for his ravenous appetite, to which Oriah replied, "Don't, I'm feeling the same. In fact, I believe it ought to be your turn to talk and my turn to eat!"

She gave him a mischievous grin and tipped her fork in his direction. Not wanting to evoke any more unpleasant memories of his darker past on such a lovely morning, she opted for a different subject altogether. One inspired by the cryptic compliment that the knight at the Rearing Stallion had given. "Tell me, Squire Marrick. How did you come to walk upon the path toward knighthood?"

"Common"
"Shiber"
Oriah
Never Stray

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Marrick Corvis on January 31st, 2014, 6:07 pm

Marrick Sipped at his tea furtively and listened with an attentive ear as Oriah spoke of her journey. A family of Nomads, wandering the wastes, a path laid out by a god, and a community with the single minded goal of survival. They reminded the Kelvic of migratory birds, or a heard of wild horses. ‘The Benshira must surely be an amazin folk.’ He thought contemplatively to himself.

When she said that she had been trained in the ways of Benshira dance, the Kelvic took an appropriate moment to take in her figure, yet again. He tried to imagine Oriah, who danced so well for the first time he had met her, doing something she knew well. The image that took shape in his mind was tantalizing to say the least.

‘A bit of a handful.’ He purred in his own mind as a wolfish grin formed on his face. She was that to be sure. With a quick sip of his cup he hid his smile again and tried to calm the burning in his heart that cried out to experience the Benshira’s talents first hand. ‘Oi’ll need teh foind a way around those daggers.’ He amusingly thought to himself, with a chuckle.

When Oriah spoke of the traditional dress of the Benshira, Marrick felt his amusement would never cease. His smile, which had momentarily faded to a smolder, blossomed yet again into a beaming grin. He wondered what the kind lady might have to say about Kelvic traditional dress. Though, living amongst humans his entire life gave him a healthy respect for modesty.

Marrick felt happily engaged with the dancer. He wanted to tell her all about himself. Though at the same time, what did she think of Kelvics? Would she see him differently if he told her he turned into a large Carrion bird, and would she think that their meeting was all about him wanting a Bondmate? Yet, the Kelvic struggled with his insecurities in silence.

In truth, Marrick was at war with himself on the idea. He had been burned before, used, and abused. He wanted time. Time he didn’t really have to spare. For now though, he was contented to simply sit and enjoy the company of this kind hearted wanderer from Eyktol. Enjoy the little things, and take one day at a time.

“Squiredom, is complicated,” he shrugged. “But Oi’ll get teh that presently.” With the last of his scraps wiped clean from his plate, and his cup of tea ready for a refill he took the kettle by its handle and poured out a new stream of steaming liquid. “Aye, food nourishes the moind and the soul, as does rest. Which remoinds me. Thank ye Koindly fer the use of yer bed. T’was generous of ye, teh give me the best place teh sleep.” He casually spoke, as he lifted his cup to his mouth quietly thinking on his next words. With eyes shut by anticipation and a look of serene clarity on his face, he took a sip of his fresh cup and sighed softly.

“So a ‘Tent,’ is a travellin family.” He said with an air of astonishment. The thought of it made him smile softly into the steaming contents of his cup. “Ye make it sound safe n’ cozy.” He said with a mischievously raised eyebrow. “Oi can only imagine how close ye are weth the other members of yer tent. Proximity can breed all sorts of relationships.” He said as a strange thought formed in the back of his mind. He considered what the Benshira had said about her sister. Something in the tone of her words, and the hesitation he had noticed on her breath made him think that this woman’s dear Priah had moved on to the next life. It was still a sad subject, and Marrick couldn’t have that.

“Priah..” he said, as he too late realized that it might still be a painful story for the woman sharing a table with him. For but a brief moment he panicked as he searched the heavens for a way to carry on gracefully. “Oi’m sorry. I’m sure ye miss her dearly.” He said smoothly. “Leavin behoind the ones we love, is hard.” He said as his thoughts turned breifly to his foster mother. Then with a long drink of his tea and a soft sigh, “Until we meet them again.” He finished, a little smile touching the corners of his mouth and an empathetic sadness touching his eyes.

“Did yeh leave behoind any others close to yeh?” He questioned slyly. If she was clever, she’d likely guess that he was asking for himself. Though, there was the answer to her last question that he had promised to tell. “Sorry, never moind that one.” He said as he took another soothing sip of his warm drink embarrassment clear on his face.

Swiftly he considered her question for a couple ticks and laid down his cup. “So, the order, Knoighthood, and bein a Squoire.” He said absentmindedly as he gently rubbed the wound on his arm to help with the dull ache that he felt growing in it.

“Oi guess I’d have teh start in the beginnin.” He said with a smile. “So, Oi Was born a slave in Ravok. Oi never really met either of moy birth parents, but tha dear lady that raised me as her own choild was boy far, the best mother Oi moight’ve had. Her name was Gypsy.” He said almost dreamily, like he floated on a cloud. His eyes held a glazed over quality as he stared off into the void.

Then like a falling tree his eyes found her again, and he took a sip of his tea.“She ded her best teh help me see the warld fer what it was. Cold, hard, cruel, and unforgivin, while at the same toime, warm, soft, koind, and beautiful.” The Kelvic carried on, almost as if he were remembering each lesson. The scars on his back, and the wise advice of his foster mother felt as if they could stand out against the canvas of his life.

“When Oi was of a certain age, moy, owner sold meh as cheap labor to a fat, and hedonistic man and his woife. Needless teh say, Oi’d had a few disagreements with him, and his lady.” He said with a look of particular disgust. He wanted to tell her all of it. All the pain, the things that they did to him, or had him do for them. It made him feel dirty just to remember it. With some effort he pushed the thoughts from his mind and pushed on. “In toime, Oi was discarded. As too much effort, or perhaps too much liability fer the hedonist teh invest in.” He took another calming sip of his hot tea and compulsively crushed little flakes of biscuit that had fallen on the table.

“The next man that held meh in bondage, was an interestin sart. Not particularly cruel, but he saw a certain value in moy skills. Oi became a dispatcher fer his delivery service, and occasional enfarcer.” He polished off his cup and poured another, a look of sobriety on his face. “Oi would have stayed there for some toime, if I hadn’t met a certain lady in moi services. She gave me the strangest oidea a born slave could ever have.” He said, and once more his flat lipped face grew into a subtle smile that barely touched the corners of his mouth. “She convinced me that slavery was wrong, and that the thengs that Oi endured were nae moy fate.” His pale blue eyes fixed her with a thoughtful gaze, and he found himself momentarily distracted by the empathy he saw on her face.

“Oi intervened in one of the master’s disciplinary actions.” He said bringing the rim of his cup yet again to his lips to take a soothing sip. “It cost me quoite a bit. Honestly ‘twas a minor miracle that Oi survoived that noight.” He said remembering the beating he took. He had been in such a bad state that the black sun had personally come and administered his transition. The beating, the agony, and the bitter vial of fluid that they force fed him to make him take on his Raven Form. The shouts, and screams died in his mind like a lamp whose wick was at burnt out. “Then again Oi’ve always been good at survivin thengs.”

He took a deep breath and exhaled loudly, almost as if the weight of his past experiences had lifted away with his rising breath. “Oi was then sold to the only person willin teh boy a troublesome slave. A moron.” He laughed now, his favorite part in the story now peeking over the horizon of his monologue. “Oi’m nae certain o’ tha man’s upbringing er education, but that ejeet taught it was a grand oidea teh take tha Kabrin teh Kanash.” He shook his head and raised his cup. His smile shone with brilliance.

As he looked into Oriah’s eyes, her gaze held many things; Empathy, confusion, intrigue, compassion and more. A poet could spend a good part of their life interpreting the depth of their meaning. “So, Oi’m willin teh wager that yer a bit confused as to why I said all o’ that.” He gave her a throaty chuckle along with a smile that made the crow’s feet at his eyes stand out. “As weth anything in loife, to understandin a theng, tis easier when ye can see the whole theng.” With a smile that seemed like a pure ray of sunlight he beamed at her. “When Oi had moi freedom, Oi taught it only roight teh enlist in the order. Oi wanted teh give something back to the ones that had given me moy freedom. That an’, Oi had never known freedom. It was a froightenin theng. Oi suppose, in a strange way, Oi was nae ready fer it. Oi needed teh serve. Part o’ me nature I guess.”

He smiled at her now, a feeling of atonement filling his breast. “So thar yeh have it. Oi wanted teh join, teh give moi freedom teh others. Sarvice seemed the roight path.” He closed his eyes enjoying the feeling it gave him. “Oi don’ thenk Oi’ve ever told anyone that before. Oi will have teh go inta more detail another toime. Perhaps another noight at tha Rearing Stallion we can foind ourselves a booth.” He said with a little smile.

“Roight then, enough o’ that.” He said as he stood up with the soft creek of his chair. He cleared his plate, cups, and flatware from the table, and placed them on the tray. With a deft hand he snatched himself a single grape from the bunch and popped it into his mouth. “Oi need teh get ready. Oi have teh boy a harse today. An it would naught do teh have me naught lookin the part.”

In Stoic silence he listened to her for a time, while he prepared for his day.
Marrick Corvis
Rest under my Wing

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Oriah on February 4th, 2014, 1:34 am

Oriah shook her head, hands wrapped around her tea cup to absorb its pleasing warmth. "You needn't thank me for that," she insisted, "I would be a right shame to my entire Tent if I let a wounded man sleep on the ground."

The Benshira smiled as Marrick mused over Tent lifestyle. Safe and cozy was an interesting way to put it. Things certainly felt that way in comparison to the harsh, barren realities of the deserts outside of the care and cooperation of her community. And breeding relationships? Well, Oriah thought to herself, that was more or less true. Though people had generally fallen into one of three categories: elder, friend, or responsibility. She would have said as much to the squire, had he not, in that moment, uttered the one name that still haunted her dreams.

Priah.

Marrick had only kind things to say, making every effort to soothe the pain of memories he knew he must have triggered. But, her recent nightmare left her feeling rather raw over the subject and her grip around the teacup tightened. Till we meet them again, she repeated in her head. A shudder ran through her tensed frame. If only he knew how unpleasant such a reunion could be, and how much Oriah had, when Priah had tried to coax the squire to relinquish his hold on life and allow himself to be swept away by the river of death, wanted to hurt her twin. To make her go away.

It tore at her heart, knowing she had shown such malice to the loving memory of her other half. The half that, for so many seasons after Priah had died, she believed she could not live without.

But, for the absolute first time in her life, Oriah found herself wanting to let go. To leave Priah behind for once, instead of trying to drag her unwilling corpse in vain. To stop expending so much of her time and energy dwelling, dwelling, dwelling...

She had tried so many years ago. Done all that she could, and nearly died for it, too. Was it possible for her to relinquish her death like grip on the memory of that day? Of thinking there was something she could have done differently?

Of...her guilt?

The revelation felt like a sucker punch to the stomach. Oriah sat there unmoving, unblinking for a few ticks, having all but forgotten to breathe. So lost was she in this dawning of realization that she missed what Marrick had said, raising her gaze a beat late to find him sipping on his tea in embarrassment. A flutter of panic rose in her belly. What had he said? Did she miss something important? Had she offended him somehow?

The Benshira struggled in silence as she watched him drink, wondering for the thousandth time what kind of mysterious wizardry this squire possessed to make her feel as though she was breaking and forming all at once. As if she was growing outside of herself.

Syna take me, she mentally scolded herself. Now I'm just thinking nonsense.

Her attentions were easily redirected, however, once Marrick began to tell his story from the very beginning. Well, she noted with an inward grin, not quite the very, very beginning, but kept her knowledge secret as she listened to the rest of his tale.

The Benshira could tell Marrick was holding something back, partly in the way he kept certain things vague and hesitated now and then, but mostly in his disgusted expression. Her heart flared with anger to hear how the former slave had been treated like he was nothing more than a tool or bargaining chip, but it was all in the past and Marrick pushed on with unflinching resolve.

When he mentioned a certain lady he had met in his services, Oriah felt a momentary twinge of irrational curiosity as to who this woman he spoke so fondly of was. Then it passed as he explained she had helped him realize there was hope in his fate. Once upon a time, Oriah had undergone something similar after her sister's death. She would never forget the person who had helped drag her out of the dark to see the light, and understood Marrick was probably much the same. It was and wasn't a debt in its own right, repaid only in memory, and in each decision to breathe deep and face life with courage.

Then Marrick spoke of defying his master, and Oriah's gaze fell of its own accord onto his injured arm. He seemed to be remembering things best left unspoken and easy enough for his companion to guess. Oriah imagined the brutality, the shouts, the fury and helplessness and pain. She looked upon the squire in agony, knowing these events had long since passed and wounds scarred over, but wishing all the same something could have been done.

He noted how he had always been good at surviving things before let loose a long, pent up breath.
"That you are," Oriah agreed, though with less gaiety than she had intended. It had been a very near thing, and that dream...

She jumped a little in her seat as the squire laughed outright at the last portion of his story. From both the tone and the dismissive way Marrick spoke of this moron he had last been sold to, Oriah guessed this had much to do with his hard earned freedom. Struggling a moment to transform confusion into cheer, she beamed with him and raised her cup to meet his, glad that all of his suffering had not been in vain. At least he was free now. Bruised black and blue with a busted arm, to be sure, but free all the same.

And then, at last, he gave his full answer: he had joined the knighthood in gratitude, and because he knew it suited him to serve and protect others. The right path, Marrick said...it brewed a strange sensation in the pit of the girl's very soul, and she stared at him quizzically. Mysterious wizardry indeed.

At his suggestion that he explain the rest during another round at the Rearing Stallion, Oriah's eyes lit with excitement.
"I would like that very much!" she smiled back, eager to learn the details of his squireship, though for more reasons than she cared to admit right then. "And hopefully you won't return a second time around with naught but wounds enough for a full fledged knight to bear."

Alas, it seemed their enlightening breakfast was coming to a close. She almost rose to insist she handle the task of cleaning, but Marrick had already begun to clear his plates and cups with no signs of difficulty. Torn between relief and unwillingness to have their meal end so soon, Oriah remained in her chair, wondering if he would now have to leave and return to his quarters. If it would be a long, long time before she could speak to him again. He was, after all, a squire, and she a mere traveler.

Marrick almost confirmed her fears, popping a grape into his mouth as though he hadn't a single bruise or cut to show for, then explaining with utter nonchalance that he needed to buy a horse.

Oriah's head snapped up as he spoke. Her eyes narrowed. With a sharp scrape of wood she rose from her chair, marched to stand before the door, and planted one hand on her hips while the other poked in his direction.
"Squire Marrick Corvis," she intoned, "you need to rest after having nearly, and I quote, 'served one of the briefest squireships yet.' If you so much as attempt to do otherwise, to even think about going anywhere near those horrid beasts others so fondly refer to as horses, I swear to Yahal I will tie you to this very bed Syna take my eyes and tongue if I have spoken untruly or unjustly.

Oriah was entirely unaware that she had ended her decree in her native tongue, so lost was she in this strange sense of vigilance that had been instilled in her ever since she had awoken this morning. As though if she turned away, let her guard down for more than an instant, she would come back to find the squire amongst Priah's cold, cold ranks.
"Common"
"Shiber"
Oriah
Never Stray

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Marrick Corvis on February 6th, 2014, 2:18 am

As much as Marrick hated to admit it, he had become taken with this dear woman. This oasis in the desert had truly become a shelter from the deadly drought of his life. He mused inwardly at her kindness, and there in the depth of his soul it touched him. Like all the barriers in the world he may have had were useless against the onslaught of her caring heart. The Kelvic contemplated that aspect of his companion… no his friend. Yes she was his friend. He tilted his head a little, introspectively as he began to understand her just a little better, and her new place in his life.

At the mention of him needing to buy a horse he noticed the visible snap to attention that statement had brought about in Oriah’s gaze. Yet he had not expected her speedy reaction as he walked to where his pack lay by the door. Then much to his curiosity she intercepted him and, with a waggling sharp looking finger, warned him of the consequences of his actions. He raised his eyebrows at her manner, a little smile forming on his face. Until she mentioned tying him down. With the mention of a rope his smile faded and a wounded scowl began to form on his face.

The mere mention of the word, visibly made him cringe. Especially when it came from Oriah. His reaction was marked with a squint of the eye, yet he carried on. With some small effort he shrugged away the feelings of discomfort with the idea of being on a lead or a shackle again. For the briefest of moments he saw in his mind’s eye an image of Oriah shackling him up like a slave again and for the oddest reasons he found it both exciting, comforting, and frightening at the same time. ‘Wha in Mother Ravens name is wrong with meh.’ He thought inwardly.

The combinative feelings made him a little sick inside and he swallowed to ensure his breakfast stayed down. Then with a long deep breath he unconsciously puffed himself up. His initial reaction was to make her feel guilty for suggesting such a thing, then he remembered her new place in his heart for her, and he shrank just a little. The strange words she said echoing in his head, helplessly igniting his curiosity about her. “Syna…eyes… tongue… have spoken… untruly or unjustly” he repeated, horribly butchering the Benshira’s Shiber. “Well, Oi know what Syna is, but the rest o’ that is as confusin as a man wearin an evenin dress. Beautiful as they sound coming from your lips.” He said his head locked in a lilt, and His scowl now fading.

He shook his head straight, letting her native tongue fall into memory, and he tried to understand the meaning behind the words he understood. As he let them sink in, he felt his heart soften, and he couldn’t help but relinquish a guarded smile. He looked into her eyes with his intense pale blue gaze, searching her soul for her meaning. Cautiously he drew close to her, until he took Oriah’s hand with its rapier like finger in his. With some gentle effort of working her fingers he unfurled them from their aggressive posturing and with an almost forgetful movement of his arm he led her hand out of the way.

He was close enough to kiss her now, had he the notion. And he did have to admit that the idea intrigued him. His desire for the feeling of that connection with her was overwhelming. She smelled like food, linens from sleeping, and the faintest of pleasant fragrances from a bath. His mind was a tumble of imaginative fantastical perspectives, and possibilities.

Yet.

His nature felt almost as if it were shrieking at him as he backed away a little out of her personal space. Yet, he did not let go of her warm and tender hand. “Oi’m afraid if ye don’ let me go, Oi wouldn’ be able teh retarn fer our second noight at the Rearin Stallion.” He smiled at her. His lips were a gentle upturned bow, warm and disarming. With the gentlest stroke of the top of her hand with his thumb he bowed his head to her in thought.

Then the humor of her statement finally hit him, tickling the back of his mind and he lifted his head again to fix her with his intense pale blue gaze. With a slow and purposeful movement he kissed the largest knuckle of her hand and spoke. “Toie me down, eh?” he said with a grin as he let her hand at last fall away. The tender ache he felt as he let go was like a stab in his gut, yet he marched on. “Don’ make me any promises, eh.” He chuckled darkly at her a moment, his smile broadening, and his eyes full of mischief.

“Oi’m nae froightened. After all, Ye’ll be there teh keep me safe won’t yeh?” He said with a wink. He felt the slightest twinge of wickedness in his actions as he knew the poor lady was likely overwhelmed with his manner and here he was speaking so boldly. “Ye wanted teh learn more about tha Order didn’ ye?” He said with a confident smile. “One o’ the requoirements fer knoight hood is bein able teh roide a harse.” He took a deep breath and reached for his pack lifting its heavy contents with both arms. His wound twinged painfully as the weight of his pack strained its angry healing flesh. The agony made him grimace in pain as he growled softly in defiance.

Before she could complain he slung the pack over his shoulder and raised his wounded arm and flexed it. “It’ll take some toime teh heal. Perhaps we can foind an ‘erbalist on our way and get thes bough o’ moine healin a moight quicker.” His arm did ache, and the wound felt hot. His words spoken in jest were beginning to sound better and better. “But Oi have teh meet moy Patron tomorra’. Good farst impressions an all o’ that. So whether ye loike it er naught, Oi need teh boy a harse.”
Marrick Corvis
Rest under my Wing

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Oriah on February 7th, 2014, 3:07 am

She had expected surprise, indifference, anger, or maybe even, in her wildest dreams, compliance. But what she hadn't expected was pain.

Oriah realized far too belatedly that her idle threat was just about the cruelest, most wounding thing she could have said to a former slave. She didn't have to wonder if the squire had terrible memories of being bound and chained. His cringe said it all.

For what felt like an eternity, Oriah was frozen where she stood, struck with a hundred different shades of guilt and horror all at once. It felt like someone had taken all the air out of her lungs, blown it away with a gust of heinous revelation and left her mind struggling to cope in its absence.

When Marrick straightened himself once more, pack in hand and expression a confusing mix of everything from nausea to indignation to curiosity, she was dead certain that he had had enough. That she had brandished the worst possible threat to someone who had earned every chime of his freedom through beatings and darkness and now he was going to walk out that door and never come ba--

Wha...was he...repeating her Shiber?

Oriah stared in further cemented shock at what he had just done. Shiber was a difficult language, made more so by the fact that the Ekytol isolated its native speakers to the point of obscurity. Few people knew the intricacies of her culture or language, or even possessed a point of reference when they tried to learn, so drastically different Benshiras often were in their way of life and thinking. Yet, Marrick had just repeated more than half of what she had unconsciously spewed with sheer will alone.

But he was not done bewildering her. Oh no, far from it.

The squire moved closer. Too close. Oriah wondered if her psyche had not undergone enough stupefaction for one lifetime as punishment for what she had done. His gaze was so intense, so mystifying that the Benshira was convinced, in that moment, he had the ability to peer past her flesh and bones and straight into her very soul. And then, with the gentlest of motions, he took her hand in his and softened her gesture till it was once again just a harmless set of digits.

He was so close now...close enough for his warmth to radiate against her like a merry hearth...scent a strange power all on its own, jumbling what little coherence she had left. Oriah was sure her heart was going to burst through the front of her tunic any tick now with the way it was battering itself senseless against her ribs. She tried to calm it, to control it, but she could not. It raced and halted and lurched seemingly at random. And when she wasn't worried over how her poor heart might give out at any tick now, she had to wonder how and when a fire had been lit to her cheek, ears, and neck. If she had complained of the room feeling stuffy before, well. It was positively scorching now, as though Syna had decided to rise right over the Benshira's head and bake her alive in her very boots.

She had never felt like this before. Or, if she had, she had clearly forgotten. Because what this felt like...what this had to be...

...was madness.

That's it, the girl thought deliriously to herself, I've lost it. Squire my foot. This is black magic, and he has stolen my sanity.

Lost in the clarity of his pale, blue eyes, it certainly felt that way, at least. She tried to decipher the emotions roiling behind them, but they seemed as unintelligible as her own. As a small act of curious defiance, she moved her fingers a little against his palms. They felt rough from years of continuous labor, though said roughness did nothing to diminish the warm and gentleness with which his hand enveloped hers.

When Marrick stepped away, Oriah caught herself wanting to pull him back. But he hadn't let go of her hand and he was smiling now, reasoning that if she didn't let him buy his horse he would not be able to return for another night at the Rearing Stallion. The Benshira took this into consideration and dropped her gaze when he bowed his head, realizing this must be official, squirely business and not to be trifled with. It was no wonder, then, that he insisted on going out even in his condition. It was about his duty and honor. She should have known.

Then a warm, soft sensation brushed against her hand. Oriah looked up in wide-eyed surprise to find the squire's lips upon her skin, before he met her eyes once more with that impossibly clear gaze of his. She had the sudden, inexplicable urge to sit down, to simply drop into a chair with jellied knees. But there was no where to do so except the floor, so she struggled to stay upright while her hand tingled where Marrick had kissed it.

She took a shaky breath when he let her go, torn between fascination and frustration. Oriah wondered briefly if she never truly woke up that morning and was still trapped in her dreams. Which, was made all the more plausible when Marrick teased her about tying him down, his smile transforming into a mischievous, wicked grin. It sparked thoughts and feelings she furiously shoved to the farthest reaches of her mind, her face growing hotter than two Synas put together. Gods above, what was he trying to do to her?

Then the squire spoke of having nothing to fear, of her keeping him safe. That lent a dose of familiarity she desperately latched onto, and her heart only lurched a little when he sent a wink her way. When he mentioned next of learning more of the Order and its requirements, Oriah found blissful distraction from her internal chaos. Having to learn to ride wracked her with worry and alarm, to be sure, but she had long since been working up the courage to defeat this irrational fear. Perhaps, she had finally found the motivation she needed to begin the harrowing process.

Before she could say a word in response, Marrick had slung his pack over his shoulders and tested his wounded arm. He mentioned herbs, and something about a patron.

Oriah ran to retrieve her own pack, not caring a fig that she was still dressed in yesterday's garb, furiously flustered, and wearing her uncombed hair in a way that could only be described as "free."

"I'm coming with you, then," she stated resolutely.
"Common"
"Shiber"
Oriah
Never Stray

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Radiant on March 1st, 2014, 9:33 am

Marrick :
Experience
Skill XP Earned
Observation +4 XP
Rhetoric +1 XP
Socialization +4 XP
Storytelling +3 XP

Lores
Lore Earned
Sam: White Swan Chef
Oriah: A Benshiran Dancer, Faithful To Yahal

Loots

Oriah :
Experience
Skill XP Earned
Observation +4 XP
Socialization +4 XP
Rhetoric +1 XP
Stealth +1 XP
Storytelling +2 XP

Lores
Lore Earned
A Dream Vision: Priah's Death
Marrick's Story: Ravok Arena Champion
Marrick's History: A Slave Born In Ravok
Marrick's Goal: Be A Knight To Defend Freedom

Loots

Notes :
Such a beautiful thread, you two! I hope their relationship blossoms further! :D

Just a note, I hope Sam was kidding about those grapes from Ravok since Syliras had absolutely no business with Ravok, its sworn enemy. :)

My radiance is not bright enough?
If you have any questions or concerns regarding your grade, beam me a PM and we can work it out. :)
Radiant
Sailor Radiant

Words: 781936
Joined roleplay: July 2nd, 2013, 1:39 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)