Closed II. Sunberth City Shuffle (Jax)

"Reality is easy. It's deception that's the hard work."

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

II. Sunberth City Shuffle (Jax)

Postby Razkar on February 23rd, 2014, 5:45 am

Continued from here

61st Day of Winter, 512AV
The Gated Community
11th Bell

The more he looked at it, the more it seemed like a problem with no solution. He walked the handful of neat, ordered streets, gauging the handfuls of armored men on every corner, moving in brisk patrols, covering the two gateways that led into the Community. He saw the high walls tipped with glass and evil-looking wire with thorns of metal laid into it. Twenty feet tall and constructed so that even if one managed to scale them, there was no convenient jump to a roof or balcony. Just a straight drop to the cobbles...

So how to get out again? Get in, hide, disguise yourself and then accomplish your task... but what then? The gates will be shut, the guards perhaps alerted... and you will be like a rat in a pit, waiting for the dogs to corner you.

"What's your business, savage?"

Razkar was snapped from his reverie by the harsh words, the sight of a trio of chain-mailed guard dogs glaring at him. He pushed himself up from his position against the wall and exhaled a stream of Taloba Grey.

"Just have smoke, sir," he said with the broken, fawning accent that he always used when dealing with men whose brains were clearly in their blades. "Go to fuck-fuck place, yes? Hear is good, yes?"

The self-proclaimed leader rolled his eyes and sauntered forward, cronies backing him up, looking Razkar up and down like he'd nearly stepped in him.

"Good folk pay better money so they don't have to look at scum like you all day, you ball-eating barbarian." Gods, Razkar had to stifle a giggle. Clearly he didn't know about Edward. "Now get about your business, fuck off and don't come back, alright? You're welcome here as long as you pay and behave yourself. Otherwise..."

He slid his sword a few inches from its scabbard; once again, his duo aped his movements. Razkar bit down hard on the urge to butcher them both, but... no... no... not now. Instead he backed up, head bobbing over and over, eager to please as some Ravok coolie.

"I go, sir, I go...!"

He did at that, but he chose his route carefully. Razkar walked swiftly across the cobbles that were scraped clean of horse shit, past ladies and gentlemen who actually looked worthy of the term. Clearly the Gated Community attracted the rich and eager to escape the squalor of the streets... but Razkar wasn't really watching the street life.

He was counting.

Thirteen... Fourteen... Fifteen.

He beheld the lair of his target. At the end of the street, just as his poor deceased victim had said. A three-floor building of stone, with high windows and... shadows, moving beyond them. Razkar's eyes narrowed and he saw...

A female. Not skinny, not bent with age... another stout, motherly female. A perfect maid for a pampered exile.

A male. Tall. Broad. Movements careful, thought out. A guardian. One of a pair.

But the man himself? There was no sign, no trace... save for the glow of candles in the upper windows, as if a man hard at work in his study.

Seeing all he needed to, Razkar walked to the nearest gate without any delay. His mark was found, the layout was good and the gates... guarded... heavily-guarded. But at night, with confusion and surprise on his side? Perhaps he could slaughter enough to carve a hole for himself, dash into the city and the million bolt holes it provided.

There will be repercussion. The Sun's Birth will know a Myrian killed one under their protection, made a mockery of their "impenetrable" stronghold. They will come hunting for you. You and Edreina...

Razkar shook his head viciously, teeth gritted. Such were the risks of his life! He accepted the task, he would take the Nuit's gold, and that meant he had to kill the man Anar DuFarro, Arnold Barrow, whatever he chose to call himself. He had crossed an ocean to accomplish this. He would not shirk now.

"But I still need help getting in," he muttered to himself, feet following themselves as he bowed past the guards watching the north gate, "Some... distraction, while I hide myself, wait for nightfall. Someone..."

The answer came to him in a flash, and it came with a burst of laughter that startled a few passing pedestrians. Once the Myrian was over it, shaking his head and wondering if it was Myri, Lhex or some other deity who made such japes at his destiny, he started walking to the Pig's Foot.
My Words | Your Words | Myrian | Fratavan | My Thoughts
Razkar has been cursed by Yahal, and as such finds little acceptance from others; they will instinctively view him as being deceptive and traitorous. However, when close to one blessed by Yahal, the effect is negated. The curse is etched onto his left pectoral, and viewing the mark causes others to feel dirty and unclean.
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Words: 2242619
Joined roleplay: October 8th, 2012, 12:04 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 9
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Jax Bradshaw on February 23rd, 2014, 9:30 pm

61st of Winter, 513 AV
11th bell

Jax crossed his arms and lay his head down in them. He hadn't managed to sleep well last night for some reason, and it was affecting his alertness. He needed coffee, or something else to keep him awake, because right now, Jax felt terrible. It was as though every time he almost fell into the bliss of sleep, something or someone just slapped him back into consciousness. It was hell.

He sat back up and shook his head in an attempt to shake off the tired feeling. Jax needed food. He hadn't eaten for about twelve hours, so that didn't help with the sleepiness. He looked over at the man behind the bar, Merv, and beckoned him over. Reluctantly, he did.

"I'll take a mug of ale and something to eat," said Jax, yawning after finishing his sentence.

"Not after what you did to my doors, Bradshaw," came Merv's reply.

"You really want to deny me in the mood I'm in?" Jax looked up at Merv, anger in his eyes. "Good luck."

Merv sighed as scurried back off to the bar to prepare Jax's order. Good, Jax wasn't in any kind of condition to fight somebody. He looked around the tavern from his corner booth. Empty except for himself, Merv and three others at separate tables. Then again, it was only the 11th bell.

After a few chimes, Merv returned with Jax's meal. He thanked the owner and he returned to his previous position as Jax started eating the food and drinking the ale.

This should help... It probably won't... But it might.

I'm a God and it's judgement day.
A crook, a killer, a thief and a liar.

Threads: 7/7
Sorry, but I'm full on threads for now.
Jax Bradshaw

Words: 43836
Joined roleplay: December 20th, 2013, 8:41 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Razkar on February 23rd, 2014, 10:10 pm

They were in reverse that day, it seemed to Razkar. Now the wild-haired, red-cheeked human was the one quietly enjoying his meal, only for the tattooed savage to pick his way across the crowd at the Pig's Foot and slide into the seat opposite him.

"Well met, Jax Bradshaw," he said with that same sardonic smirk on his face, black eyes flickering up and down, taking in the purple marks under the boy's eyes. "Gods, you look like shyke. Have to up your strength if you want to try a repeat of a few nights ago."

"Speaking of which-" Razkar nearly jumped up and went for a blade when the grumbling voice growled into his ear. Merv surely could move softly when he wished. "-you owe me for damages, savage!"

Razkar sighed and covered his eyes, speaking from under his fingers. "How much?"

"Well, getting the pails and their lids banged back into shape-"

"Oh, like you even bothered-"

"Not to mention-" Merv plowed on, raising a warning finger "-getting all the rubbish scraped back up, damage to the cobbles-"

"The cobbles?!" Razkar burst out suddenly, incredulity etched on his pierced features. "Since when did they get repaired? And since when did you care?!"

"All in all, quite a bill, and I-"

With a roll of his eyes and a brief, irritated glance at Jax, Razkar fished around in his purse and slapped a handful of gold onto the table. Merv's eyes flashed to it like there was a string holding his gaze to the little gold circles. He all but licked his lips.

"There. Ten gold. That should cover repairs, "damages"-" Gods, and didn't the sarcasm pour from that word "-your time wasted and the special for me. I'll be paying the boy's tab, too."

Razkar knew getting a "thank you" would be asking too much, but at least the crusty git shut up, took his coin and a few chimes later, a bowl of steaming "stew" with those self-same stones purporting to be rolls were put before him, along with a mug of ale you could clean spoons with. Once the old man was gone and they were alone, Razkar turned to Jax.

"I won't fuck around with you, lad," he said nonchalantly, taking a sip from his tankard, "I didn't come here for whatever this swill calls itself. I came looking for you. I want to hire you for something."
Razkar has been cursed by Yahal, and as such finds little acceptance from others; they will instinctively view him as being deceptive and traitorous. However, when close to one blessed by Yahal, the effect is negated. The curse is etched onto his left pectoral, and viewing the mark causes others to feel dirty and unclean.
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Jax Bradshaw on February 23rd, 2014, 10:36 pm

Jax hastily ate half of the meal and downed about a quarter of the ale before he'd even noticed Razkar sitting opposite him at the table. He smiled up at the tattoo clad man before continuing with his meal.

"Well met, Jax Bradshaw, gods, you look like shyke. Have to up your strength if you want to try a repeat of a few nights ago."

Jax looked up at Razkar and nodded, downing another gulp of the ale and another bite of the food in the meal before speaking.

"I slept like shyke. Not fu..--"

Merv, the bartender crept over and interrupted Jax to have a go at Razkar for the fight they'd had a few days before. Gods, that man could be annoying when he wanted to be.

"Did you need something, Razkar?"

"I won't fuck around with you, lad, I didn't come here for whatever this swill calls itself. I came looking for you. I want to hire you for something."

"Oh yeah? What might that be?"

Jax Bradshaw

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Razkar on February 24th, 2014, 12:26 am

Such words were fit only for murmurs and whispers. Razkar bent closer, eyes flickering around briefly to ensure no barflies or "drunks" were paying them undue attention. Well, that was somewhat inevitable, given how he looked, but as long as they weren't listening...

"I assume you know about the Sun's Birth? Their Gated Community? You have lived here all your life, so you must. I have business there, of a kind you need not know. But in order to carry it out, I need a distraction, near sunset, just before they change their guards."

The Myrian kept his eyes on those of the young man with the garish red cross nearly bisecting his face. They had met once, fought once, but Razkar was willing to take what help he could find that day. Edreina? Not a chance. He'd not enmesh her in his mortal work. Basek? He'd heard neither hide nor hair of his "brother" from the jungle. No-one else to be trusted... if he even trusted Jax.

"That's your job. A bell before sunset, you cause a commotion at the north gate, near the businesses the Community has. I don't care what you do or how you do it, just divert their attention long enough for me to get... situated."

"Hidden and then disguised" was what he'd meant to say, but he bit his tongue. The boy didn't need to know everything; just enough to do his part.

"After that, make yourself scarce and wait here for me to return. That's when I'll pay you." His voice became low, serious, almost warning the boy awa. But considering who he was planning to thumb his nose at, Razkar thought it far. "No lies, boy. The Sun's Birth won't forget this. Their Dragoons will hunt you, if they discover your role in my acts. If you want to back away, do so. I won't hold it against you."
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Jax Bradshaw on February 24th, 2014, 4:03 pm

Jax listened intently as Razkar lowered his voice to a mere whisper, keeping the conversation only audible between the two sat at the table. Although he continued gorging on his food and drink, everything said by the tattooed man stuck in Jax's head.

"The Sun's Birth? Gods, you have a deathwish or something?"

Jax finished his ale and set the mug down onto the table, letting the bitter-sweet liquid run down his throat. He stuffed down the remainders of the food, but in his mind he was debating whether or not to help Razkar. It seemed like a suicide mission.

"You want a distraction? I suppose it could be done."

Then Razkar offered payment, and Jax almost immediately jumped out his seat, ready to start, but he kept his cool and a straight face.

"I'm in."

Jax Bradshaw

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Razkar on February 24th, 2014, 6:38 pm

Razkar's eyebrows shot up abruptly when he heard the lad's short, blase answer. He was the one with a deathwish, and yet Jax, who knew the Sun's Birth and their wrath better than he, agreed to help so quickly?

Interesting.

"Good." Razkar paused, mainly because... well, what else was there left to say? Whatever Jax's distraction was, it would be of his own devising. All he needed to do was get into position, and be ready to move. "Remember: the north gate, at sunset, so... eighteenth bell, I should say. I'll be inside the Community by then, waiting for you to begin."

He stood abruptly, not giving the boy time to argue or question further, words suddenly finding a place on his tongue. The act may not need further elaboration, but the coins at the end of it-

"And you'll be getting paid after." He said, tone leaving no room for argument (though he was sure the Sunberthian would try anyway). "Don't believe me?"

The Myian rested his knuckles on the table and leaned forward, smile wavering oddly between jovial and threatening. On a face like that, it could have been both.

"This is Sunberth, as people keep telling me. Trust is earned, not given, and certainly not paid for. Do this for me, and you have my word as a Child of Myri, you will get your gold."
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Jax Bradshaw on February 24th, 2014, 9:30 pm

"Good. Remember: the north gate, at sunset, so... eighteenth bell, I should say. I'll be inside the Community by then, waiting for you to begin."

Jax nodded along with Razkar's speech, whilst simultaneously running his finger along his plate and licking the residue of the meal off the digit.

"And you'll be getting paid after. Don't believe me? This is Sunberth, as people keep telling me. Trust is earned, not given, and certainly not paid for. Do this for me, and you have my word as a Child of Myri, you will get your gold."

Child of Myri? He was a Myrian? Jax guessed it explained the 90% tattoo coverage and extremely long hair... and the scalp cape. He deduced Razkar was not a man to cross, although he figured that out after their little dust up outside a few weeks back.

"North gate. Eighteenth bell. Got it."

Why do I get the feeling this is going to go wrong and our heads will end up on pikes outside the Gated Community? Ah, petch it. What's life without a little adrenaline every now and then?"

Jax Bradshaw

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Razkar on February 24th, 2014, 11:01 pm

Just Before 18th Bell

Timing. That was what would pull this trick off, but it had never been Razkar's strong suit. He was more of the "run in and kill everything" sort of killer, not the "stylish and stealthy assassin".

But if Falyndar taught a man anything, it was that you either learned to adapt to your environment, or you died. Now cunning and precision was required for the Myrian to succeed, so... that is what he would use.

Which explained why he'd waited this long to arrive at the Gated Community. During the day, the gates were open and custom was always welcome... as long as it paid and behaved itself, of course. The Sun's Birth seemed to make a fortune from loans, jewelry and the working girls at Ruby's: why impede the flow of mizas?

"How about these, sir?"

It further explained why Razkar was holding a string of pearls in his callused hands, holding them up to the light, twisting them this way and that, examining every one in detail... and basically wasting Cossette's time. He'd been in the Silvertongue nearly half a bell and had yet to buy a thing. So much for this "honored female" he was shopping for; he'd spend so long making his mind up that-

"Eighteen bells and all is well! Eighteen bells and all is well!"

The booming voice echoed around the clean, orderly streets of the Gated Community as old Jocko let his hourly announcement blossom into the frosty air. Chosen for his voice that roared and bellowed even when quit, Jocko and many like him were now crying across Sunberth. Razkar ould faintly hear echoes of them elsewhere, a ragged chorus with the same words, over and over, keeping Tanroa's pace fresh in the minds of all.

"Yes." He said firmly, shifting the rucksack over his shoulder, containing Edward's pilfered uniform. "This is the one! She loves the sea, so it is perfect. Can you put it in something nice for her?"

She smiled at the sale; he smiled because it was expected. But as soon as her back was turned, the smile faded and he stole a look over his shoulder, peering through the massive window that showed off the Silvertongue's goods. The northern gate was beyond it.

Tall, iron and tipped with spikes, it was open most of the day but he could see the Dragoons on duty getting ready for their change over. Like soldiers the world over, they were becoming more animated, more restless, knowing that soon they could go back to their families, their sweethearts... or booze and whores, whichever applied (or was more available).

Time to act, boy. Make it dazzling...
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Jax Bradshaw on February 25th, 2014, 6:07 pm

Jax lounged in the booth within the Pig's Foot, his feet perched on the table adjacent to his body. He'd been there almost eight hours, with Merv occasionally moaning at him to buy something or get out, but his complaints were shot down by Jax's threats of violence against Merv himself or his customers. Threats that Jax probably would follow up on if the time called for it.

Looking out the window to the left of him, Jax could see it was getting somewhat dark and it would soon be the 18th bell. The time when he was meant to cause the distraction for Razkar. He'd decided on how he would commit it bells before. Jax would pay, or beat, depending on the conditions, a farmer for a couple of carts of hay. Jax then would grab a torch that lit the streets, set the hay alight and shove it towards the Dragoon guards, which, if done correctly, should force them in all different directions.

It was time to put the plan into action. Jax pushed himself off the seat and left the tavern, searching for the local market which should have been closing up right about now. Jax approached the local farmer who was just lifting his wares into a caravan and was just leaving until Jax spoke out to him after spotting four carts of hay.

"Hey, those yours?"

"They are indeed, mister."

"I'll give you five mizas for two."

"Are you crazy? They're worth at least fifteen."

Damn, of course he's being a stubborn old shyke.

"Alright, alright."

Jax pulled his coin pouch from his pocket, simultaneously checking over his shoulder for any bystanders. A couple of merchants were also clearing up their goods, but, other than that, the market was dead. As the farmer walked towards Jax, the blue-haired male clenched his fist around the pouch.

"Pay up then, lad."

"Actually..."

Jax turned around to leave the farmer, and the smile he got appeared on his face. He span around, the heavy coin pouch swinging with him. The momentum caused the pouch to deliver a crushing blow to the farmer's left temple, knocking him clean out. Jax put the pouch away and slowly loaded the unconscious man into his caravan before slowly, one by one, painstakingly moving the two hay carts into position above the north gate of the Gated Community.

He was on a relatively small hill looking down on the Dragoons. It was getting darker by the chime, so they couldn't see Jax from so far away. It wasn't so far the fires would be put out from the wind but not so close that he'd be spotted. Jax checked the coast was clear before returning to the Pig's Foot to grab the final piece of his puzzle. The torch.

Jax jogged over to the entrance, where there was a lit torch on either side, illuminating the way for possible patrons of the tavern. He grabbed one and looked inside. It was still quiet for some reason, and Merv was behind the bar, cleaning glasses.

He returned to the hay carts and awaited his signal which would come in the form of a Dragoon shouting out the time and ringing a bell.

"Eighteen bells and all is well! Eighteen bells and all is well!"

There it was. Jax held the flame of the torch to the first hay cart and waited for it to catch alight before just tossing the torch into the second. Both went up in flames and Jax shoved each cart down the hill towards the gate, one after the other.

The carts rolled down the hill, picking up speed as they went. The hay kept burning as the first crashed into the gate and the second slammed into the wall beside it almost immediately. Both nearly exploded on impact and sent flaming hay bales in every direction. A couple of Dragoons who didn't move quick enough were crushed beneath the carts and burnt to a crisp.

Jax watched with a smile as his plan worked before pulling his hood over his head and returned to the Pig's Foot, making sure he wasn't being followed before stepping into the tavern and resuming his previous position in the corner booth.

Jax Bradshaw

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook