Completed Is the Cake a Lie?

How to investigate a bakery. (Cecily pls)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This lazy agricultural settlement rests on the swampy shores of the Middle Suvan at the delta of The Kenash River. The River's slow moving bayou waters have bred a different sort of people - rugged, cultured, and somewhat violent. Sprawling plantations of tobacco and cotton grow on the outskirts of the swamp in the rich Cyphrus soils, while the city itself curls around the bayou and spawns decadence and sins of all sorts. Life is slower in Kenash, but the lack of pace is made up for in the excesses of food and flesh in a city where drinking, debauchery, gambling, slavery, and overbearing plantation families dominate the landscape.

Moderator: Gossamer

Is the Cake a Lie?

Postby Estrellir Konrath on March 15th, 2014, 4:30 pm

Spring 20, 514 AV
Cecily’s Pantry

Estrellir had always wanted to visit the bakery opposite of her detective bureau, although she’d never gotten around to it since her return from Konti Isle. Delicious scents were wafting across the path right through her window whenever it was opened during business hours, but she’d always been buried in work. When a riddle occupied her, she couldn’t rest until she’d hunted down every last piece of the puzzle.

Now the circumstances of her first visit were less fortunate than she’d hoped. Still, the white cobble and marble intrigued her and woke her curiosity as to what delicacies were awaiting inside. Sometimes she spared the folding board a glance while passing by, but the words written on it were kicked out of her mind by more important information almost instantly. That particular day, however, the daily specials were the important information. Estrellir could hardly believe it herself, but a Dynasty brat had officially asked her to find the most delicious cake and pie restaurant or bakery in the whole of Kenash.

As she entered the cozy place and started looking for a table, the Konti couldn’t help but shake her head over her own stupidity of taking the 'case'. Still, finances told her it wasn’t the time to be picky and besides, eating as many sweets as she wanted didn’t sound all that bad. Eventually she chose a table towards the back of the room, out of the way of other visitors, yet central enough not to be isolated.

Running a hand through silvery white locks, Estrellir wondered whether smoking was allowed inside the bakery. Disguise wasn’t necessary for this particular task, so she’d come in her usual attire: long black coat, pipe and tobacco tucked away in its pockets, over a simple blouse and trousers. The leather boots were in need of cleaning.

The Konti, however, didn’t seem to notice that flaw in her appearance. Instead she rubbed her webbed fingers together and started observing the environment. A relaxing atmosphere was just as important as the quality of food, after all.
Last edited by Estrellir Konrath on June 2nd, 2014, 11:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Estrellir Konrath
She Who Finds What Was Lost

Words: 338742
Joined roleplay: September 13th, 2013, 8:24 pm
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 6
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (1)

Is the Cake a Lie?

Postby Cecily Askara on March 16th, 2014, 8:27 pm

"Linda, how many times do I have to tell you that the eggs go in the batter BEFORE the flour? It makes a difference, you know! Do you want my reputation do go down the drain? Hmmmm?!"

It was just another day in the kitchen of Cecily's bakery, and Cecily was doing what she does best. Yelling.

"Of course not, Mistress Cecily. I'm sorry." Linda answered back, going back to her work promptly. She knew Cecily didn't want to hear explanations or excuses, so she kept her mouth shut for a good long while. She had gotten used to all of the yelling, though. If you worked for her, you were going to have to learn how to deal with the consistent screeching. Cecily kept barking orders at her. It was quite a busy and flustering day for both of them. Spring brought a new wave of customers that were anxious to get out of their homes and into the warm city breezes. Cecily's pantry was a popular place all the time, but especially in the spring. People sat enjoying their treats and socialized among each other. All the talking was like white noise, almost blocking out Cecily's shouts. Almost.

"I'm going to go take some orders. Stay here and watch the pies in the oven." Cecily said, taking off her apron and smoothing her hair back. Linda nodded.

As she walked out of the kitchen area her face turned into a grimace when she noticed muddy tracks all over her floor. Ugh. she thought, rolling her eyes in annoyance. Stupid people.

But, knowing that she wasn't going to get anywhere with her customers in a bad mood, she faked a pleasant smile and demeanor. She swept around all the tables, giggling and charming all of the buyers. People even wondered where all that yelling had been from. It couldn't have been this sweet young woman...

Eventually Cecily made her way over to the Konti woman dressed a little unusually, but she paid no mind. She did, however, pay mind to her muddy boots. She had to stop herself from making a face at her. Instead she kept up her nice act and asked for her order.

"Hellooooo! Welcome to Cecily's Pantry. What can I get for you today? The special is peach cobbler!"
She's crazy, though. I guess there's something wrong inside.
She's crazy, though. I guess she took control.
Cecily Askara
Have my pie and eat it too.

Words: 15801
Joined roleplay: August 24th, 2013, 3:11 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Plotnotes

Is the Cake a Lie?

Postby Estrellir Konrath on March 17th, 2014, 10:28 am

While observing the customers, idly noticing which Dynasty sat with whom and how much they were enjoying themselves, Estrellir wondered where the muffled yelling came from. It barely rose above the chatter, but the Konti who didn’t focus on a particular voice could hear it clearly. Straining her ears, she tried to discern the tone and add it to someone she knew, but to no avail. After a while it stopped too.

Instead the business owner itself appeared from the kitchen, working through the room with many smiles and giggles. Estrellir put her hands on the table and pretended to be studying the cozy furniture, although in fact she was observing Cecily from the corners of her eyes. The girl was pleasant and bubbly, just the kind of behavior expected of someone running a bakery.

Still, there was something in the air around her that distracted Estrellir and raised a tiny hint of suspicion. Of course. The typical Dynasty brat knew how to keep up appearances, create a façade and hide their true thoughts and feelings. In that, the Konti wasn’t different from her human colleagues. She decided to try and find out how far she’d get with that strategy.

When Cecily finally addressed her, Estrellir mirrored the pleasant smile on the girl’s face and added a reasonable dose of excitement to her reply. “Why, hello! Unfortunately I’m not quite sure what to order yet… Is there anything else you can recommend? I’m leaning towards cakes, but it seems you’ve an excellent variety of those.” Part of her curiosity wasn’t acting – the Konti didn’t indulge in her sweet tooth often, but when she did, quality was most important. In that, she understood her client, although why they’d hire her for such a trifle still escaped her.

Her violet eyes narrowed just a little as she studied Cecily. “You know, I’m glad I could finally pay you a visit. I suppose you haven’t noticed, but we’re neighbors. My business stands directly across the street. Although it’s belated, I hope we get along well.” Long fingers gestured out of the next window to the house in question before her hand came to hover in front of Cecily, expecting a friendly shake.
Estrellir Konrath

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (1)

Is the Cake a Lie?

Postby Cecily Askara on April 6th, 2014, 7:17 pm

In Cecily's head, there where plenty of things that she wanted to say to the Konti woman that didn't exactly fit into her facade. The first one, which she thought many times throughout the day was, "You've been sitting here for how many minutes, and you still can't decide what you want? What's underneath that snow white hair of yours, hmm? A little bug? Or no, not even something living. A nut! There can't be a brain in there. You've been sitting here for at least 10 minutes and you can't pick what you want. You must be three years old. You need your mother to decide for you! Of course I can make a recommendation, but it actually won't go into account. You'll end up getting the peach cobbler like I said at first. Gods, you people are so indecisive."

Granted, this is what actually came out of her mouth. "Well, if you're looking for cakes, we did just bake individual pastries this morning. They're all fruit flavored to celebrate the start of spring! My favorite is the blueberry pastries, topped with white glazed frosting. We're also having a sale on whole traditional cakes, baked fresh if you're not convinced of blueberry." She finished with a smile, holding up her pad and quill to take the order.

And the second, "Yes, I have actually noticed that a mangy Konrath has a shop next to mine. Bad for business, it is. Barely any Askara even come in here because they don't want to see the white-haired liars. No, we won't get along well. Our families hate each other. Gods..."

Hesitantly, she actually said, "Oh, I never noticed! I''m sure we'll get along just fine." She took the Konti's webbed fingers and tried not to curl her lip in disgust. Idiot... she thought as she looked into the Konti's eyes, smiling. "My name is Cecily Askara." she said, emphasizing Askara. She waited for the response, the two still hand and hand.
She's crazy, though. I guess there's something wrong inside.
She's crazy, though. I guess she took control.
Cecily Askara
Have my pie and eat it too.

Words: 15801
Joined roleplay: August 24th, 2013, 3:11 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Plotnotes

Is the Cake a Lie?

Postby Estrellir Konrath on April 8th, 2014, 8:08 pm

Estrellir kept up her pleasant expression as Cecily went through her recommendations and sales. As a shop owner, she’d probably recommend the best product she could offer, so the Konti thought it important to know which goods were advertised to the customer. After a moment of contemplation, she nodded. “Then I’ll take a blueberry pastry and the classic vanilla cake, please.”

She couldn’t help but lick her lips in anticipation. It’d been some time since she’d sat down with a plate of sweets and relaxed. Of course, reading through notes and reports in her bureau would probably be more productive… but cases meant money and money meant success. Speaking of business, she just got a delicious idea.

The shake felt hesitant from Cecily’s side, but Estrellir didn’t seem to bother. She neither clung to her hand nor released it too soon. “Estrellir Konrath. It’s a pleasure. Your business seems to be going quite well despite the remote location.” Unlike her opponent, the Konti didn’t have to emphasize her family name for others to catch and remember it… In society, that did have its advantages, although it proved quite annoying during investigation.

Estrellir leaned back and tried to suppress the hint of a smile forming in the corners of her mouth. Sooner or later she’d reveal how prickly that Askara really was. For a bakery, the small island in one corner of the city just couldn’t be a profitable spot. Still, plenty of customers populated the room. Even though she didn’t specialize in service herself, Estrellir was curious.

Lastly, she played out her idea. One hand slipped into her coat pocket and produced a worn wooden pipe. Out of the other pocket, she took a small pouch filled with Rajor tobacco.
Estrellir Konrath

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (1)

Is the Cake a Lie?

Postby Estrellir Konrath on June 2nd, 2014, 11:00 am

After lighting the pipe, she looked up to see the Askara had disappeared. Her features sagged in disappointment, although Cecily was probably tending to her order. Settling back into the chair, Estrellir took a deep breath and exhaled a cloud of smoke. A patron sitting at a neighboring table cast a curious glance at her, but apart from that nobody seemed to pay attention. Of course, she had picked a remote spot to overlook the room and better observe patrons.

ImageDespite the crowd, her order was seen to promptly and completely. After a grateful nod, Estrellir took the lit pipe into her left hand and… hesitated to touch the cake. When the waitress passed her table the next time, she raised a finger. “Might I get a glass of water?”

That didn’t take long too. Taking a sip to clear her mouth of the tobacco, Estrellir decided to get started with the vanilla cake. The icing was sugar, she noticed, and added even more sweetness to the vanilla. The dough was as soft as she liked it. Saving every bite, she noticed after a few that it could be juicier, less dry. After finishing her piece, she took another sip of water.

The pastry looked delicious with its cute shape and dark color of the berries standing out against the light dough. After the first bite, the taste of fruit exploded on her tongue. With a slight smile, Estrellir munched on it for a while. The dough wasn’t as soft, but of course none of the sort could be expected from puff pastry. All in all, it was still a great delicacy. Licking her fingers after the last bite, the Konti was almost disappointed there wasn’t more.

ImageBut she had only tasted a fraction of what was available. The client hadn’t specified what kinds of baked goods they liked best, so Estrellir figured taking another sample wouldn’t hurt. “What kinds of scones do you have?” She’d seen those at the counter.

Upon receiving a list, she pondered for a moment. “I’ll have a chocolate chip then. Thank you.” With a smile, she leaned back in her chair and put the pipe between her lips. The smoke cleared her head and washed her mouth of the sweet aftertaste.
Estrellir Konrath

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (1)

Is the Cake a Lie?

Postby Estrellir Konrath on June 2nd, 2014, 11:03 am

This time she had to wait longer, but a few patrons were paying and getting ready to depart in the meantime. While observing the ritual of payment, thank yous and goodbyes, she had to admit the Askara girl was quite skilled at treating customers.

Finally her scone arrived. The chocolate really was a treat to herself, the hard-working intelligencer. After drinking the rest of the water, she took a first bite and reveled in the sweet chips melting on her tongue. The dough was soft and just the right kind of juicy. A large portion of it was chocolate, although the chips could never be big enough for Estrellir. Of course, they weren’t as exquisite as her preferred Draer chocolates, but she hadn’t tasted any of those in a while. Cecily’s chocolate tasted delicious in itself.

ImageUpon finishing the scone, she picked any crumbs and chocolate from her plate. Nothing should be wasted, not even the tiniest bit! Her dishes were collected with a slight frown, but she only smiled at the waitress.

The pipe went back between her lips as she observed the thinning crowd of patrons. Midday had passed and many were returning to business or whatever else they’d planned. Estrellir felt the call of paperwork herself, yet she lingered just a little longer.

She’d tasted three goods, only a small fraction of what was available on the menu, and all of them had tasted delicious in their own way. The vanilla cake probably had been the worst, but even that had been acceptable. The Askara’s baking skills were out of question, but Estrellir was really curious about her service. How did she deal with difficult customers or outright rude gestures?

She’d wanted to annoy the girl until she dropped her polite and cheerful mask, but it seemed the entire staff was too busy to spare her much attention. In a situation like that, only doing something truly outrageous would serve her purpose, but as a Konrath she couldn’t risk to damage her reputation…

With a sigh, Estrellir gave up the idea of annoying the Askara to death. Perhaps she could return another time, after trying out some of the other restaurants and similar establishments around Kenash. For the time being, she’d gotten a good taste of what Cecily’s Pantry was like and what it offered.
Estrellir Konrath

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (1)

Is the Cake a Lie?

Postby Estrellir Konrath on June 2nd, 2014, 11:15 am

Instead of simply walking out, however, she rounded tables until standing at the checkout counter. As she moved, she noticed how full her belly felt after eating so many sweets. What was better than a little walk around town to get rid of that uncomfortable fullness? However, she’d take one last thing from the bakery to accompany her on the stroll.

Eyeing the food on display, Estrellir took a moment to appreciate how it was arranged and how the colors appeared inviting and delicious under the sparse light. Perhaps leaving most of the shop in the dark (or daylight) contributed to the location’s success.

The girl behind the counter cleared her throat. Looking up, Estrellir gave an apologetic smile. “I’d like one last muffin… maybe cinnamon apple. That sounds delicious. And I’ll pay right now.” Clinking coins changed hands and the muffin shortly after. With a delighted word of thanks on her lips Estrellir left the shop.

ImageMild spring air enveloped her as she passed her own bureau and strolled towards the bridge connecting the little island with the heart of Kenash proper. Only when out in the fresh air did she realize how stuffed the air had been in the bakery. Had there been opened windows? She couldn’t remember and now scolded herself for that mistake.

Still, it was hard to stay annoyed for long with the scent of apples and cinnamon wafting up from the little ball of dough in her hand. Lingering on the bridge, Estrellir ate her muffin and watched the crumbs fall into the murky water with small plopping sounds. Food for the fish, most likely. The muffin itself tasted as delicious as the rest, dough soft and sweet, apples adding a juicy quality stronger than in the other cakes and pies, and the cinnamon providing a nice contrast.

After finishing the last bite, she wiped her hands at the sides of her pants and looked up into the sky. The paperwork could wait, she suddenly decided, or Mell could take care of it. Estrellir Konrath would take an extended stroll to get rid of that full belly!

Receipt :
Vanilla cake – 13 gm
Blueberry pastry – 2 gm
Chocolate chip scone – 2 sm
Cinnamon apple muffin – 2 sm
Total = 15 gm, 4 sm
Estrellir Konrath

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (1)

Is the Cake a Lie?

Postby Vice on June 9th, 2014, 10:32 pm

Estrellir Konrath :
Skills
  • +5 Observation
  • +2 Socialization
  • +2 Rhetoric
  • +1 Investigation

Lores
  • A Foolish Task to learn the Best Sweet Shop
  • Cecily Askara: Emphasizes Dynasty Name
  • Konrath: Too Well-Known
  • Cecily's Pantry: A Good Place
  • Pestering the Askara, a Desperate Want

Loot/Expenses:

-15gm, 4sm

An amusing thread. Kudo's for finishing it yourself.

If you have questions, comments, or concerns, please send me a PM, and we'll discuss my reasoning behind why the grade given was received. Please make sure to edit any posts in the grading queue to 'graded' and update your CS as soon as possible. Enjoy! ^.^
Vice
Pick yer' poison~

Words: 318086
Joined roleplay: March 29th, 2014, 2:36 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Plotnotes