Completed [Antinous Training Grounds]A Sticky Situation

Bitt spars with his patron.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

[Antinous Training Grounds]A Sticky Situation

Postby Bitt on May 8th, 2014, 3:55 pm

53rd Day of Spring, 514 AV

Tock.

Tock.

Tock.

"Alright lad, stop there. Time for a break." Crowe called out to his squire, who had been practicing a basic thrust with the quarterstaff. Bitt sighed in relief, exhaling slowly as he stepped out of his stance. He closed his eyes and took several long, deep breaths, still holding his weapon parallel to the ground. It was a warm day, a prelude of what was to come when Summer rolled around. He was sweating, but he didn't blame this on the heat; he'd have been sweating regardless, he knew. Bitt snapped open his eyes and started walking towards his patron, who had been monitoring his training from the side. He used the quarterstaff as a makeshift walking stick, holding it with his right hand. Crowe had instructed him to use his weapon as a tool, and a tool could be used for many useful things.
To use something for the sole purpose of causing harm would be rather depressing, lad, don't you think?
Bitt remembered his patron's words fondly. It was an odd sentiment, but one the young squire found himself completely agreeing with. A bead of sweat dripped from the tip of his nose, and Bitt pulled a tattered rag from his belt, wiping it across his face and through his-
... my hair.
Shortly after Crowe had started teaching Bitt the finer points of combat, the older knight insisted he get his hair cut. It would get in the way. It would block his vision. It could be grabbed onto in a fight. While initially reluctant, Bitt eventually bowed before the wisdom behind his patron's words. The cut itself is not what bothered him. What bothered him was that it was Crowe who had done the cutting. Using nothing but a long, sharp knife, the older knight had butchered Bitt's hair. He'd gotten the job done, and Bitt's hair was now only about two-inches-long on average, but it was a ragged mess. Bitt doubted anyone would need much convincing if he told them how it had been cut. A small frown crossed his lips at the memory.

"Alright lad, I think you've more or less gotten the hang of striking a stationary target, don't you think?" Bitt ignored the gibe behind his patron's words and simply nodded.
"Yes, Ser Crowe."
"Good to hear, lad. In that case, I think it's time we tried sparring again."
"Yes, Ser Crowe." Bitt had come to realise that the 'sparring' matches against his patron could hardly be described as such. It was just Crowe's way of teaching him a new technique: by using it against him. Bitt liked the method. It was very personal, and he decided that being at the mercy of a technique made you really appreciate its necessity.
All in all, a very motivational teacher, Crowe is. Even as the thought passed through his mind, it didn't sound quite right. Bitt smiled all the same.
"You've got five chimes to catch your breath, lad. It might not be enough to fully recover, but since I'm so old I'd say the entire thing balances out, wouldn't you say?"
"Yes, Ser Crowe." Bitt turned towards a nearby water barrel, and his smile had become a grin.
I might have been wrong in calling him motivational, but he's definitely something.

Bitt and Crowe stood several feet apart, both wielding a quarterstaff, and both in low-guard: a basic fighting stance.
"Alright lad, when you're ready." Crowe gave the signal to start, and Bitt pushed himself onto the balls of his feet. His breathing was coming slow and steady, a deep inhalation through the nose, followed by a deep exhalation through the mouth. A surge of anticipation flooded the young squire's system. He was excited.
Well, that's new.
In the few times Bitt had fought in the past, he had felt many things. Fear, usually. This was the first time he was actually excited to fight. The feeling, while unsettling, was filed away; he would reflect on it later. The young squire tightened the grip on his staff, sprung forward, and aimed a powerful thrust towards his patron's chest that had the power of his entire body behind it.
Last edited by Bitt on May 8th, 2014, 6:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

"Bitt's Speech" | Bitt's Thoughts | NPC

Signature Credits: Yuri
Bitt
The Squire

Words: 115508
Joined roleplay: March 24th, 2014, 9:33 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Postby Bitt on May 8th, 2014, 6:20 pm

Bitt's strike was coming in from the outside of Crowe's guard: to the left of his quarterstaff, from the young squire's perspective. As the thrust slipped past his guard, Crowe used his own quarterstaff to push Bitt's out to the side, before slamming it into the ground;
CRACK!
Then, before Bitt could recover, the older knight's weapon darted out like a serpent. Crowe's thrust smashed into Bitt's abdomen, and the air rushed from his lungs. The entire exchange lasted less than two ticks.

Pain.
Sharp, tear-wrenching pain.
Bitt crumpled to his knees. His quarterstaff had been dropped, and both of his hands clutched at the spot struck by Crowe. He had been winded, so breathing was almost impossible.. His breaths were short, rapid, and, for the most part, ineffective.
By... Yahal's... Arrrrrgggh! This hurts!
A nasty bruise would decorate his abdomen soon. Bitt realised that his patron must have restrained himself. The young squire had been practicing a thrust, much like the one Crowe had used, all morning. He knew just how much force could be put behind a blow. If he'd been so inclined, Crowe could have killed him in that moment, of that Bitt was certain.

Crowe remained silent while his squire recovered, a passive look etched onto his face. It took a couple of chimes, but eventually Bitt was able to climb to his feet and collect his quarterstaff. Again, he stood opposite of his patron. His staff was supporting a lot of his weight.
"That was a good strike, lad. Did you see how I blocked it?" Bitt, who was still troubled by the well of pain that bubbled inside of him, thought back to their exchange. After a couple of ticks, he answered;
"Yes, Ser Crowe. You pushed my thrust to the side, smashed my quarterstaff to the ground, then... well, you went on the offensive." A fresh flash of pain came when Bitt thought of the moment in which the blow connected. Crowe approved of the answer, and it reaffirmed something for him; his squire kept his eyes open during a fight. It was an essential skill that was difficult to teach. The moment a fighter closed their eyes, be it from fear or something else, they put themselves at a huge disadvantage. Every instant you couldn't see your opponent was dangerous. For some people though, like Bitt, it came naturally.
"Very good lad. Five chimes, then we'll try again."
"Yes, Ser Crowe." Bitt tried not to groan, and instead took a seat. He sat with his legs crossed, his palms on his thighs, and his quarterstaff resting across his lap. It was a meditative position that the young squire favoured.

Bitt didn't bother with a mantra. Instead, he focused on his breathing. He needed to calm his body down, to prepare it for the next spar. Inhale through the nose. Exhale through the mouth. Inhale through the nose. Exhale through the mouth. As he repeated the breathing exercise, Bitt let his thoughts wonder.
Is it strange that I was looking forward to the fight?...
Inhale through the nose. Exhale through the mouth.
... I should probably ask Crowe. Later...
Inhale through the nose. Exhale through the mouth.
... There must be something wrong with me. I was trying to hurt Crowe. I knew he would block it, but still... a normal person wouldn't get excited by that, would they?
Bitt continued this pattern until finally;
"Alright lad, on your feet!"

Bitt
The Squire

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Postby Bitt on May 8th, 2014, 8:43 pm

Again, the two men faced each other; again, they both wielded a quarterstaff; and again, they both stood in low-guard. Bitt was troubled by a dull ache that stemmed from the wound on his abdomen. Well, it was only dull if he stood absolutely still. Every movement was accompanied by a stab of pain, forcing him to grit his teeth.
Focus! Focus! Focus!
Bitt mentally screamed at himself as he struggled to ignore it. The squire's mouth went dry, and he felt a constant need to flex his knuckles, reaffirming his grip on the weapon.
"Any day now, lad. This time, attack from the other side." Bitt nodded at Crowe's instruction, bounced nervously on the balls of his feet, then darted towards his patron. Again, the anticipation, the excitement, rose within him and, for a moment, his pain was all but forgotten.

Bitt was frightened. An insane, unnatural surge of emotion had filled him, urging him to go on, to fight... and it terrified him. Already, his thrust was slipping past the inside of Crowe's guard, but before his patron could react, Bitt started to pull the blow.
CRACK!
Again, Crowe parried Bitt's attack and slammed his quarterstaff into the ground. However, instead of countering with his own staff, the older knight released one hand from his weapon, took two steps forward and threw a heavy punch at his squire's cheek. It connected with a dull thud!
"What in Sylir's name was that, lad!" Crowe angrily demanded of Bitt at the same time as the young squire yelled out in pain. Bitt's head snapped backwards from the blow, and an explosion of agony ripped through him like a hurricane. All coherent thought abandoned him, and he would have summed up his entire existence at that moment with a single word: pain. "I am your patron, lad! Your teacher! Do not disrespect me by thinking you need to pull your blows!" When Bitt didn't answer, for the squire was groaning softly to himself whilst kneeling on the ground, Crowe took a seat opposite him and waited. His eyes, still furious, never left the younger man.

Bitt was a mess. He could barely see out of his left eye, which was already starting to swell shut, and he was bleeding from somewhere on his face. He knew this because he could taste the blood. Coupled with the injury on his abdomen, which still flared with each of his movements, Bitt was having a hard time not passing out. He tried to get his breathing under control, and after several chimes, he felt that he'd succeeded... it wasn't steady, but it was a lot better than the fast, pitiful moans that he'd been managing until then. Bitt looked up and saw his patron watching him, and when their eyes met, Crowe spoke;
"Explain. Now." A cold, gripping fear wrapped its bony fingers around Bitt's heart. Not because of Crowe's tone... not because of Crowe's gaze... but because Bitt was certain that this was the first time Crowe had addressed him without calling him "lad."

Bitt
The Squire

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Postby Bitt on May 8th, 2014, 8:50 pm

"...I wa' scar'd." Bitt answered, and he told the truth. He hadn't realised it until then, but his lip was swollen too, and it slurred his speech.
"Scared of what, exactly?" Thankfully, Crowe was able to understand what he'd said. It hurt to speak, and Bitt didn't want to have to repeat himself.
"... My'elf." Bitt went on to explain the excitement he felt when he was about to fight, his worries regarding how it reflected upon his humanity and how it caused him to panic during their last spar. When he finally finished speaking, his face throbbing from the effort, he sighed in relief. It felt good to get it off of his chest.
"Lad... I'm sorry. Who'd have thought your concerns would be so..." Crowe didn't finish the thought-
But he called me lad, again.
Any transgressions made by the older knight were forgiven in that moment. They sat in silence, for a time, until Crowe spoke again;
"People give it many names, lad. The one I'm most familiar with is The Fury; it's what people call the feeling you described: a joy for battle. There are some who have fighting styles that revolve around it. They lose themselves in the battle, becoming like a force of nature: wildly destructive, but utterly unpredictable." Crowe climbed to his feet and approached his squire, offering him a hand, "It's something you'll have to figure out on your own, I'm afraid. Like all things, it's what you do that defines who you are."

Bitt smiled at his patron's words; though it wouldn't have looked quite right given his swollen face. The Fury. While it was comforting that it wasn't a unique affliction, its very nature frightened him. In that moment, he vowed to himself that he would overcome it. He would master it, and he wouldn't let it control him. It was the resolve of a squire;
I wont be afraid any more.
Clasping Crowe's arm for support, Bitt pulled himself to his feet, grunting at the effort. Waves of pain crashed into him, but he didn't care. He felt empowered, and his resolve hardened.
"C'mon lad, let's get you fixed up. I know just the lass for the job." With one arm around his patron's shoulder, and the other holding his quarterstaff-made-walking-stick, Bitt and Crowe started their slow trek out of the training grounds.

To Be Continued :

Bitt
The Squire

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Postby Radiant on May 9th, 2014, 5:04 am

Bitt :
Experience
Skill XP Earned
Observation +1 XP
Socialization +1 XP
Weapon: Quarterstaff +3 XP
Endurance +2 XP
Philosophy +1 XP

Lores
Lore Earned
Quarterstaff: Counter-Attack
Philosophy: The Fury

Loots
+2 Shield Points

Notes :
I always love your solos, Bitt! Enjoy your grades! :D

My radiance is not bright enough?
If you have any questions or concerns regarding your grade, beam me a PM and we can work it out. :)
Radiant
Sailor Radiant

Words: 781936
Joined roleplay: July 2nd, 2013, 1:39 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)