PM to join [Antinous Training Grounds] Ankle-biter

It's only a squirrel. How dangerous can it be?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

[Antinous Training Grounds] Ankle-biter

Postby Isana Lin on June 26th, 2014, 11:34 am

Everyone had a limit.

It was said that some men would endure the most horrific tortures for nigh on a season, precise, practised, surgical mutilation of the flesh that no battlefield horror would equal, only to break at the first mention of returning home. The most boisterous tavern-goer all too often ended the night a whimpering drunk, self-pitying tears casting ripples in his, falling away mug like a half-rotted tree crumbling back to earth. The most resilient fighter, jumping from shadows that swayed just so. Oh, the specifics were as varied and numerous as the stars dotting the night sky, but all people had a breaking point.

When the pycon flew up the inside of her leg, scaling her mail like a soldier assaulting a fortress, Isana found hers. The squire's manoeuvrability was remarkable, darting from side to side like a rope caught between children, Isana almost expected him to fly apart. Evidently pycons did not play by the same rules of momentum humans did. Then again, were she three inches tall, she expected the workings of the world would take on a very different appearance. It would have been particularly interesting, were the proof of such strange capabilities not busying himself clinging to her armour. There were some things you didn't endure. Even for training. Especially for training. A glorified ball of clay using your tabard as a tent was, she decided with a flush, one of them.

"Stop!" A part of Isana cursed the trace of desperation in her voice. But it was a small part. Most of her simply wanted the cursed squirrel off her, and to be somewhere she would not be the subject of those damnable knowing glances from the roving Weaponmasters. What were they thinking, besides those smiling eyes and covered smirks? That they had been right, that she didn't belong, that here was the day's entertainment? Isana tugged the shield from her arm in a flurry of flailing straps, considered tossing it to the ground, setting the timber rattling and shattering on the stone like a discarded dinner plate. To let the smirking observers have a proper show, the brutes. No. Isana exhaled and carefully lowered the shield's rim until it settled to the ground without so much as a whisper.

Damn them, let them find their own spectacle. Isana was a knight of Syliras and, defeated or no, she would be no-one's entertainment. Lest of all her comrades. Lest of all the squire still clinging to her thigh. Beaten by a squire. Oh, perhaps not, had the fight lasted, but who could have said? How, pray, was one meant to command any sort of respect among the order's initiates when she could not hold her own against one? She could only hope that some better rumour emerged and strangled this one before it had a chance to spread. Sylir, the pottery could climb. She blinked, lowered the butt of the spear to the ground and worked the kinks from her wrist. When she spoke again, her voice was blessedly free of its earlier hysteria, a simmering hiss.
"That will do, Squire Archiailist. Kindly find your way to releasing my leg."

She was not about to dance around the training grounds, batting at her armour like a traveller caught in a swarm of biting instincts. If that meant losing, so be it. Her dignity – what she could scavenge of it, at any rate - was worth that much. She stilled, straightening a knee to let the clay squirrel make its descent, felt the eyes boring into her back slowly grow bored and skate on to the next interesting diversion. Now that she listened for it, she could make out the clang of steel further off in the grounds, somewhere beyond the carefully cultivated grove that simulated a forest. Evidently the grounds had grown busy while she she trained with the pycon. For all that it will stop them talking about it. She tucked the spear under her arm, brushed a layer of dust from her tabard.

"May I suggest climbing from the rear in future? It may make you harder to remove." Or create an opening for another swordsman to finish a foe. This was still a training session, no matter how poorly it had gone, no matter how dented her pride. She still a knight, still responsible for training the squire, in a sense. She had a duty to offer some suggestion, regardless of how hollow it felt. "You have the speed for it." There was no hint of praise in her voice, it was a simple statement as routine and readily accepted as the running of a stream or the falling of a leaf. The pycon was fast. He knew it, and now she did too. There was no point dancing around the fact.

Nor, she began to suspect, would there be much gained by remaining. The rumble of the streets below climbed even to the height of the training grounds, the chatter and howls of distant voices mingling with the clash of steel, signalling the beginning of a another day in Syliras. Another day of shield games preparations. She re-slung the shield on her arm, collected the waterskin from its perch by the rock and nodded curtly at her clay assailant.
"You had best find another opponent, Squire.” She glanced at the milling knights and squires slowly filtering into the grounds. “Perhaps two. Sylir knows I've precious little to teach you, and the games cannot plan themselves."

Regrettably. She inclined her head, a faint, frosty farewell, the image of the distant instructor. Internally, she resolved to make her next training session a half-bell longer.
On indefinite leave, but still checks in from time to time.
Isana Lin
The Snark Knight

Words: 113969
Joined roleplay: October 13th, 2013, 10:38 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Donor (1)

Postby Archailist on June 26th, 2014, 3:37 pm

My Words | Your Words | My Thoughts

So concentrated was the Pycon, in his search for a hole that could be exploited that he barely noticed until the shout, that the knight had stopped all semblence of attack. Or even defending herself. Then again, the squirrel knew that in such a tight spot, she would never be able to defend herself with long-range weapons and heavy metal shields. But he expected something.. a bit of flailing, maybe a drop of the spear to try and grab the Pycon while he was within reach. Something - rather than a quick surrender. If they would have come together on the battlefield, or even in the Bronze Woods, it could have ended so swiftly.. neither of them would have ever seen it coming. For all her loud voice and quick tongue, the knight had shown a fatal flaw that day - her comfort, and how much she would sacrifice for it. Or maybe it was just wounded pride, the squirrel could never tell off the strange expressions they all held.

He waited until Isana had finally lowered both shield and spear before he nimbly turned on the spot and released his claws, falling to the ground and quickly rolling over one shoulder to break any of the stress that would have caused his legs to normally disfigure themselves. Most humans never really understood the difficulties that a lump of clay faced. At high speeds and hard hits, it became quite easy to maintain shape and power as long as one kept up their momentum. But once one stopped, all of that disappeared.. and they were squishy, and malleable. A Pycon could never have a middle-ground between the two extremes - it was either one, or the other. He was only lucky that he could build up enough momentum during the constant swings of that spear. And speaking of the spear, he decided he might as well give her a few pieces of advice, while she was polite enough to give him the same. He didn't want to seem arrogant. His emotions and attitude had already sparked off one set of jabs that had been quite uncomfortable.. and he wouldn't let it happen again, even when he had the advantage.

"I will. Although.. if you ever do fight a Pycon in the future, use a shorter weapon. Something for close combat. A spear is good for keeping human enemies at bay... but it won't do any good against a Pycon, Sera." It was the best advice he could possibly give... after all, he'd never really worked with spears. He'd worked with Py-Poles, which were.. similar to spears, even though they were often never used in any way similar to those used by humans. "And.. don't bother with a shield either. They just become far too easy to out-maneuver. Unless you have a very light shield that can reach down to your ankles, it's not worth it." Sometimes, when someone could use a shield in just the right way, it could be effective. They were often very good at stopping attacks to the midsection, from a good jump or the spring of a Py-Pole, but that was about it. And when one saw a shield, they knew not to aim for those parts.

"I suppose I shall have to. Although goodness knows how I'll fare against two opponents, who knows - it might be fun. It was a pleasure, Sera Lin. I hope you found it as educating as I did." There wasn't even a hint of patronizing in his voice. He'd found it a fun and competitive fight.. something that made him think in an entirely new way. And from now on, he'd have to think closely about fighting people who wore heavier armours.. because goodness knew he couldn't punch a hole right through the stuff and the best chance he'd ever get would be to hide under the different portions and joints until he found the right spot to make an entry. Although... then he'd be able to cause absolute havoc. In fact, as he turned and scampered off on all-fours to begin searching for a pair of squires to go against next.. he actually begun to fantasize about it.
Archailist
And the potter said unto the clay, BE WARE...

Words: 942771
Joined roleplay: November 28th, 2013, 8:20 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Nightmare on July 1st, 2014, 8:45 pm

Isana Lin :
Skills Amount
Weapon: Shortspear +3
Weapon: Round shield +3
Tactics +3
Planning +1
Socialization +4
Observation +4

Lore
Tactics: The merits of formation fighting
Weapon ShortSpear: How to use a spear in tandem with a shield
Pycon: Little clay creatures
Pycon: Water softens clay, not required for living
Pycon: Body structure and weak point
Archailist: Squire under Ser Iros
Archailist: Snarky, pain in the foot pycon
Defeat at the hands of Archiailist

Shield Points Amount
Training +5

Archailist :
Skills Amount
Observation +3
Running +2
Acrobatics +2
Unarmed combat +2
Tactics +4
Socialization +3
Rhetoric +1
Climbing +1

Lore
Iros: Demands to impress a dummy
Isana Lin: Knight of Green company, Fourth Regiment
Socialization: Proper usage of Ser and Sera
Isana Lin: Spear and sheild user
Tactics: Weak points of armour and chainmaile, pycon ladders
Victory over Isana

Shield Points Amount
Training +5

Note: I would like to point out the density of the clay figure is enormous. A 5 inch figure that weighs 23 pounds would put a hefty dent with sufficient momentum, which any sort of acrobatic movement should accomplish. You made mention of it briefly but did not mention the sheer density that the pycon poses to his opponents. Not a rebuke or a warning, just something to think about. :)

Also, please update your ledger with seasonal expenses.

Additional Comments: An excellent thread! Very amusing, good job.

Please PM me if you have any questions or concerns.

Credit Lenz
If you have an concerns, questions or problems please PM me right away. I am here to assist and can usually get a reply within a day or two if not sooner.
If you haven't gotten a response from me within five days, please PM me again!
Nightmare
The part of you that you always fear

Words: 254197
Joined roleplay: April 21st, 2014, 11:45 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Previous