PM to join (The Alements) A Unique Bard for a Unique Place (Caelum, Cal

Lyn'nice brings a new bard to Caelum

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

(The Alements) A Unique Bard for a Unique Place (Caelum, Cal

Postby Lyn'nice on July 18th, 2014, 9:21 pm

55 of Summer 514AV

Lyn'nice sat for a moment, found herself restless got up and wandered around. She was waiting to introduce a new and very unique bard to her mentor. Calters was the most unique person Lyn'nice had come to find in Riverfall and he was a bard. She wanted The Alements to get him before some other bar or tavern scooped him up. He was perfect for the place, she had told Caelum time and time again. Finally a meeting had been set up for the two and Lyn'nice couldn't contain her excitement.

She was waiting for both parties to show up Caelum had gone out for something. Her nerves were getting the better of her, she got to her feet and began to sweep to pass the time. It would all work out, right? She decided to brew some tea for the interview. Just as she was finishing the tea, Lyn'nice heard the door looking up she smiled.
Lyn'nice
Player

Words: 62054
Joined roleplay: August 31st, 2013, 11:28 pm
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Calters on July 19th, 2014, 1:59 am

55th of Summer, 514 AV

Already, Calters was nervous. Not only would this be his first steady job, but it was a dream job. From what he understood, he would be able to work in a bar and perform for the patrons without ever having to worry about the dangers of the streets. Not only would he be safe, but his beloved ocarina as well. Pay would be steady; it didn't matter how much he got. The bard would have played for free if not for the need to eat and pay rent.

So much was weighing on this meeting that Calters found himself more anxious with each chime that passed.

Right on the 8th bell he awoke to the dull colors of his ceiling. A heavy sigh allowed him to muster up his strength and tumble from bed.

By the 9th bell he was dressed in the best clothes he owned- a mostly white shawl with his leather strap wrapped around the waist.

10 chimes later he had proclaimed the outfit too formal and wrapped the shawl around his neck in an imitation scarf, leaving his leather strap around his torso. Calters delicately tied the ocarina cord around his waist as well so that the trusted instrument bounced against his hip reassuringly.

Neglecting food and any further preparation, the Akvatari left the Northern Suites and proceeded towards the docks.

He arrived at the docks before the 10th bell had hit. He stood utterly still with only his wings fluttering and his teeth pulling at his lips in fear of his dream job subsequent to his interview. He knew it had to be done if he was to achieve anything, so with a trepidatious cough Calters headed for the establishment known as Alements.

Although impressive from the outside, once inside Calters found himself in awe. The room was not dark or fetid as so many places Cal had played. The bar was fashionable, with floor to ceiling windows throwing Syna's light on the ground in an array of colors. "Naturalist" seemed to be the theme. Everything there gave off the impression that it was freshly made from natural sources. Waxed wood and polished tabletops gleaming up at him in warm colors. Richly colored metals accentuated the curves of the room and drew the eye to the bottles about the counter. The strong smell of herbs was surprisingly comforting rather than overwhelming and Calters found himself inhaling deeply.

There was so much to assess at the same time that the young musician almost missed seeing the Konti alternately working a broom and laying out some tea. Just before Calters opened his mouth to ask of her where he should be he recognized the smiling face.

"Lyn'nice!"

Calters' jitters quickly got the better of him and he rushed over as fast as his wings could carry him. He coughed once more out of habit after returning Lyn'nice a small smile.

"Is Caelum here?" Then, as an afterthought he added, "Do I look okay? Does he know about..." The sound of wings swishing through air and a tail brushing against the floor was explanation enough. Although Cal had yet to meet someone who hated him (for his race), it was bound to happen someday. Hopefully not today or any day soon, but it was always best to be cautious.

The Akvatari glanced around the room once more as he waited for a reply, hoping to absorb as much of its beauty as he could before the interview began.
Tukant-Kontinese-Common-Thoughts-Singing
Calters
When music hits you, you don't feel the pain

Words: 88993
Joined roleplay: June 26th, 2014, 4:07 pm
Race: Akvatari
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Caelum on July 19th, 2014, 4:22 am

The proprietor was in the kitchen, knife in hand. He was familiar with the weight of weapons though many might doubt it in passing acquaintance. It often required the more astute character to detect the rich shadows that clung to Caelum, and it required a far shrewder soul to determine out the nature of their details. Yet for all that he had handled knives and labored hours mastering the scalpel, he had little cause over the years to learn how to properly wield a kitchen knife in the tasks for which it was intended.

Scattered along the cypress wood cutting boards were narrow slivers of mint leaves. He had torn them from their stalks and stacked them atop each other. They were then rolled up like a miniature scroll and he sliced them into narrow striips. The technique in herbalism was called, simply, chopping. It was no more fancy than that. Yet, as Elise had explained to him earlier, in cooking it was something different. It was a chiffonade.

Whichever this was, Caelum gratefully abandoned the endeavor at the sound of voices. He was unaccustomed to customers this early in the day, though he had begun to acquire an curious collection of regulars. Some of them he thought of as haunts, hopefully appearing wraiths who reached for all that he could give them and drank all of it down like water. (And he wasn't just talking about the alcohol.) Those were few in number, but he had marked them well and was privately plotting out courses for each of them in turn to improve their health and lifestyle. Little by little, it seemed to be working.

The kitchen door swung behind him as he stepped into Alement's main room, wiping at his hands with a clean bar towel. He wore a short sleeved tunic of fine quality but plain design and a pair of agreeable leather trousers. Much like Calters, it often failed to matter what he wore or didn't wear, how plain or flamboyant he chose to dress, because the rest of him was so incredibly unusual that he drew attention. The glory of Syna coated him in daylight even in the darkest corners, but at least he was a common sight at his own place of business.

Calters, however, was not.

While the two were distracted with their own conversation, Caelum took a moment to make his study of the aktavari. He knew what the man was, having met one in an incredibly eerie series of events years past when the goddess Caiyha had called to him for aid. Of course, that had been some while ago and it was a rather enchanting shock to spy such a person in his tavern now. Focusing inward, the ethaefal neatly snapped his mind into halves so as to be capable of allowing the magic of ranuri full range in investigating the map of this stranger's desires. The rest of him could put on an easy smile and roll forward to greet his guests.

"Good morning. Who's thirsty?"
Caelum
The best way out is through.

Words: 1093768
Joined roleplay: March 18th, 2010, 10:27 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (1) Guest Storyteller (1)
Lore Author (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Lyn'nice on July 19th, 2014, 10:53 am

"Don't worry, you look fine!" Lyn'nice waved at the Aktavari. "See I told you this was the perfect place for you. Customers won't bat an eye. In fact they might ask why Caelum didn't find you sooner! I'm sure the regulars with love you, and maybe this place will get a few more because of you." She smiled and gave him a wink. "Might get yourself a fan following."

"Why would it matter that you have wings and a tail? We get all walks of life in here, besides Caelum let's me hang around and I'm a pregnant fish-lady!" Lyn'nice giggled. "Besides, Caelum is unique himself. I can't see why a pair of wings- which look dazzling in this light- and a tail would make such a difference... As for Caelum.... The kitchen I think... But anywho here, tea's on me today." She patted a seat and poured two cups of tea, with a third cup ready in case Caelum wanted any himself. In the meantime she'd try and calm down Calters the best she could.

At Caelum's call of, "Who's thirsty?" Lyn'nice laughed, "Heh, looks like I beat you to it!" She made here way over to her mentor, "Caelum meet Calters, he's the bard I told you about! He's great and I think he just sorta fits here. I wanted you to see him before another pub or tavern claimed him as their own.. and seeing as this place doesn't have a bard of it's own..."

Lyn'nice was pretty sure by now that Caelum read minds or something like it. She had seen enough 'coincidences' to know something else was at work. She didn't know how he knew things... But he did. She was desperately trying to make contact via whatever this communication was to let him know about Calters' race worries and to go easy on him. However she was pretty sure she was getting no where fast and finally returned to her seat.
Lyn'nice
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Calters on July 19th, 2014, 8:13 pm

Tea was poured and niceties were exchanged between the Konti and the Akvatari. It was comforting to know one of the people here, at least, and Cal was thankful for Lyn'nice's presence.

All relaxation went out the window when Caelum strolled in with a smile.

"Good morning. Who's thirsty?"
"Heh, looks like I beat you to it!"

Their banter was easy and familiar in a way that made Calters feel like an intruder. They seemed close, but then Lyn was quite friendly too. It could just be her style.

As the boy worried over himself again, Lyn began the introductions with gusto. Cal tried his best to fit in a nod and a quick wave at the mention of his name but Lyn'nice rambled on so quickly that he was unsure of the timing. Hearing that he had been spoken of before- and that they considered him worthy enough that another tavern might claim him- the bard could feel his cheeks burning.

The proprietor himself was beautiful, in a way, and enchanting in many. He was tall and lean, made of the very same colors as the surrounding room. Horns curled either side of his head, sporting the same proud shimmer as his eyes. He walked with confidence and spoke the same. His golden eyes didn't seem to focus on Calters, but rather through him, as though he could see something that no one else there could. In contrast to being eerie, the look was somewhat enchanting.

Not only his outward characteristics were enchanting. There was something deeper about Caelum that couldn't quite be placed. Perhaps it was just the alluring magic of an Ethaefal? Or simply the calm persuasion of a business man?

When Lyn'nice returned to her seat, Calters followed. Reunited with his cup of tea, he sipped quietly. Questions nipped at Calters' mind, begging for answers. How long has Alements been open? How long have you been working in business? Why do you want a hardly adequate bard for your upscale bar?

One at a time, he would let the questions escape. Currently inclined towards politeness rather than candor, Calters began with a compliment.

"It's nice to finally meet you Caelum. Lyn'nice talks about you so much I was eager to come see you in person." Cal was going to smile, but stopped himself just in time, lest the smile be strained.
Calters

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Caelum on July 20th, 2014, 8:07 pm

The proprietor's expression softened as Lyn'nice bubbled and flitted, lighting up Alements with her easy excitement. He nodded to what she was saying and casually kicked out one of the high backed chairs at their table when she sat.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Calters," he welcomed the bard. His voice was sun warmed and possessed of a dark music leftover from the slow fading remnants of the celestial language he had once known. It was also a little husky this morning as he had accidentally inhaled a few lung fulls of smoke when burning Elise's bread. She had dashed out to pick up a few supplies from the Warren and left him with strict instructions to take the loaves out of the oven in a few chimes. He had forgotten about them and would now have to face the sad-eyed wrath of his assistant when she returned.

He shot the double doors leading out to the patio a glance, hoping Elise wasn't back yet, and proceeded to drop into his chair once his guests were seated. He slumped back with a careless elegance and propped his ankle on the opposite knee. Reaching for the cup of tea Lyn'nice had prepared for him, he pointed an elbow down to the chair's arm and resumed his study of Calters.

The current of Nikali's power spilled through him, carrying the emotional debris of both of their desires into the heart of him. Even without the divine magic Caelum could tell that his apprentice was worried about how this interview would go. She wanted it to be pleasant and a good experience for the sad-eyed akvatari who, in turn, seemed to want to know more. Parsing through his, Caelum's eyes narrowed and his sipped at his tea. More about his prospects, perhaps, or the business.

As for what Calters needed, that much was easy, writ in every dulled and faded hue of his rust colored wings.

"I hope Lyn'nice hasn't been telling tales on me." He gave a friendly smirk to his apprentice before returning his regard to Calters. "I'm afraid herbalism can often be a boring topic until it's combined with the more exciting physicking."

He paused to take another swallow of the tea. It was very good and he was pleasantly bemused to note that the konti had managed to prepare exactly the way he preferred -- sugar and lemon, hold the cream.

"I understand that you're a bard, Calters. What instruments do you play? Do you sing? And what sort of experience do you have in customer service and handling, well, crowds?" His eyebrows raised a little with each carefully probing question. "Alements is relatively new addition to River Fall. Elise and I opened it this past spring and we've enjoyed a decent amount of success. I'd like to see that continue long after the novelty of a new place wears off."
Caelum

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Calters on July 21st, 2014, 2:07 am

And so the questions begin...

Calters took a deep breath, both mentally and physically, before answering.
"I play an instrument called an ocarina. Its sound is similar to a flute's but the instrument itself is very different. I also sing and enjoy that equally as much. Both have been long-time interests of mine since I was little."

Cal hesitated to tell Caelum of his inexperience with social matters. The words seemed stuck in his throat in a way that could only be cured by one of his signature nervous coughs. Just as he had cleared his throat to try and dislodge the words, the Ethaefal caught his eye. He gazed at Cal with a look so intelligent and so trustworthy that the interviewee found the truth flowing from his mouth.

"Unfortunately, I don't have much experience with one-on-one customer interaction. I can handle crowds well as a result of my many busking days but such a profession leaves little room for personal conversation."

A nervous cough had to be swallowed before Calters could talk again.

"I'm sure it's something I could learn fairly quickly. I am able to converse well enough in Common and Tukant to take requests and give directions. I speak a smattering of Kontinese, but only what I have picked up from listening to others speak. It is choppy and not fit for conversation right now. If that is an important skill, I could try to improve my languages.

"As Lyn'nice pointed out earlier, an Akvatari in town draws quite a bit of attention. If that Akvatari was also a good bard, people might come from distances to visit."
It felt wrong to be so blatantly selling himself but there wasn't much else he could do. He tried the best he could to hide his discomfort, but could feel his wings droop infinitesimally even as he sat in the soft chair.
Calters

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Lyn'nice on August 5th, 2014, 11:47 am

Lyn'nice looked from Calters to Caelum and took a sip of tea. There wasn't much she could do from here on out. She had set up the meeting to see if Caelum would have any interest in the unique bard. However, she had very little say so over any of this.

She finally found an opening to speak, "If it helps any Caelum, I've heard him sing. It was so lovely!" Lyn'nice beamed at Caelum. "I can only imagine what he can do with an instrument! Plus hasn't it always been said music has healing properties all it's own?" She mused with a smile. She was trying her best and she hoped Calters could tell.

Lyn'nice felt Calters' discomfort and gave him an awkward pat on the back, trying not to hit his wings. It was her best attempt to comfort him, besides pouring him some more tea with a hopeful smile.
Lyn'nice
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Caelum on September 1st, 2014, 4:58 pm

Caelum rested his regard on Calters as he answered his questions. Though Caelum was capable of a dangerous intensity, the bard was not made subject to such a stare. There was too much kindness in the corners of Caelum's eyes that compassion had conjured while he put together the assorted data being delivered him by his guests. Between Lyn'nice's softly brimming anxiety for her friend and the akvatari's uncertainty, the proprietor of Alements knew almost all that he needed to.

"You're not wrong, Lyn'nice," he spoke at last, lowering his tea cup from a sip. "Music does have healing qualities. When done correctly, it can promote a decrease in stress and anxiety. It can soothe. It can exhilarate. It can act as catharsis."

Humor hinted in the curve of his smile as he looked back to Calters. "But I don't have to tell you that, do I? Music in a place such this can set the tone. Beyond the sheer quality of your playing, that is my greatest concern. I will need to see if you have the ability to read your audience and provide the right sort of music for the betterment of Alements atmosphere. We are a place of a healing and a haven more than we are a club. I expect you to further those qualities."

Setting his cup aside, Caelum gestured invitingly. "Did you bring the ocarina? Will you show it to me? I've never seen such an instrument. If you wouldn't mind, I would also like for you to play something for Lyn'nice and I."

The smile he gave was easy and encouraging.

"Tell me, how long to do intend to stay in Riverfall? Are you seeking long term employment?"
Caelum

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Calters on September 4th, 2014, 1:55 am

Again, Calters was tempted to lie.

He wanted to tell the man that he would stay and work for him as long as he wanted, but this was far from the truth. He wanted to travel- not stay stuck in Riverfall forever! One look at that easy smile and Calters was spilling the truth once more.

"I will be here for the next two seasons at least." That much was true. He planned to stay for Fall and Winter was less than ideal for travel. "But after that, I can't promise anything.

"I can, however, promise a good show every time. I put everything I have into my work."
This too was truth, to the extent of his knowledge. He had never been told he played badly, so he assumed that all was good. The only flaw in this logic was that the musician took so much pride in his work it may have been difficult for others to tell him of his mistakes.

In the heat of the moment, not a single thought of this flawed logic crossed the Akvatari's mind. When the interviewer asked him about his instrument, he laughed genuinely for the first time in a long time. How many times have I given my music speech to unwilling listeners? And here is someone asking for it!

The ocarina was released from his belt and placed upon the table with pride. Calters ran his hands along its curves as a lover might, feeling the familiar nooks and crannies of his only love all the while displaying it to the onlookers. As his delicate touch found the mouthpiece he stopped and picked up the clay masterpiece to cradle it. His hands found their spots as he spoke.

"Ocarinas are as unique as their players. They can be clay, wood, or metal. They can have four holes, six holes, eight or- like this one- twelve. Each plays different notes and pitches, but all sound just as beautiful. I specialize in slow and solemn tunes, but most can be considered relaxing as well. Let me show you."

Without another word, Calters stood and returned the ocarina to its place around his neck. He drew the instrument up to his mouth, contemplated the song choice for a brief tick, then smiled and began.

The song he produced was indeed soft and less than happy but was also relaxing. Some might call it rejuvenating. The melody was comprised of long, flowing notes, kept from becoming monotonous by the wavering pulse of the instrument. Calters was so lost in the song that he barely noticed when his eyes closed. He was further unaware when he began to sway gently- a movement that calmed before the end and before his eyes pushed open. He smiled again with relief at the grace of his performance.

It had not been perfect, but he had not fallen, lost his place in the song, or suddenly caught a cough and that was a positive turn of events for the unfortunate boy. He had played the song with power and beauty to his own ears, and that was all he expected of himself.

Music Link :
If anyone is curious about the song being played, I based it roughly off of the song After Bentha. Because I am less than adequate with BBCode, I cannot figure out how to embed the video directly, but have included a link.
Calters

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Next