Quest Terror in Stormhold: Fire at the White Swan

[Prompt: Marrick and Archailist] The White Swan is set alight!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Terror in Stormhold: Fire at the White Swan

Postby Archailist on October 24th, 2014, 10:30 pm

My Words | Your Words | My Thoughts

Things were getting bad. The fires were being extinguished, slowly. Bucket after bucket rained down on the fire, and the squirrel made sure that each one was directed at the smaller fires branching over the wood and stone to make sure that the way was cleared for the second group as they cleared away the beams and what rock they could manage. He swiftly moved from shoulder to shoulder in an attempt to guide them - of course, one of the biggest problems was that not all of the volunteers were so happy to be dictated so completely. Some of them kept their voices hidden, although they often gave long wavering glances to the squirrel while carrying out his orders. They knew what was at stake here - not just the fate of the White Swan, but the lives of all those that were still trapped inside the wreckage.

Others, however, did not. "Can't you just leave us to do it by ourselves? Jeez.. I know how to throw water onto a fire." One man shrugged his shoulders roughly in an attempt to dislodge the squirrel that was perched there, but this was no time for a power struggle - not a time to show weakness, either, lest he lose control of the entire group. He gripped even tighter, remained standing, and kept firm eye contact. So did he - for a while. However, staring into the pupil-less eyes of a humanoid squirrel wasn't the same as trying to stare down a human. Eventually he looked away, and the squirrel tightened his grip an inch before he began speaking. He needed to get rid of these thoughts, not just from him - from all of them. He spoke just loud enough to ensure they could overhear him, but not loud enough to let them all know that it was a public speech.

"There are lives at stake here. The lives of those that are inside that building, the lives of those that have all of their worldly possessions, their livelihood within that building." That hit a chord. He lowered his gaze a little further, but the squirrel kept going. "This isn't about me ordering you around because I like doing it. This is me trying to make sure that the fire is put out, that the wooden bars are moved, so that Marrick can get out of that burning building when he has to." The man turned back and looked like he was ready to say something to contradict that, but this time the squirrel cut him off as he spoke his first few words, overwhelming them and then continuing long after he lowered his head. "This is NOT just about you. This is about everyone working together, as one, the best that they can. If you don't want to do it, then be my guest. But the only way that we're going to put out this fire is if we work TOGETHER."

His words seemed to have placated the group for now.. but he still felt unsteady. The last thing he wanted to do was cause a serious argument and waste more time than he'd already spent. "Come on. We're losing valuable ticks here." He hopped off the shoulder, just at the moment that the cavalry arrived. He wasn't really sure if they were cavalry, but either way, he was eternally grateful when a girl showed up on the back of the familiar mount Kiter. It couldn't be a civilian.. which meant only one thing. "You there!" He pointed to the girl, and the Pycon sitting at her lap when he noticed the ball of Res slowly forming above it and traced the small streams back down to the origin. "You need to aim for the upper floors of the building, and fast!"

Another problem with a line of buckets - they could only extinguish the lower floors of the building. They were extremely limited to where they could hit, given that the upper buildings and the sides were too far away for the throw of buckets to reach. The few that had volunteered thankfully kept the way clear for the entrance and kept pushing away the smouldering rocks and wooden beams to keep the wreckage clear and it left some room for those that were working the buckets of water to move in closer and begin slowly pushing back the fires. However much they swept away, though, it always came rushing back from the smaller areas they couldn't quite reach.
Archailist
And the potter said unto the clay, BE WARE...

Words: 942771
Joined roleplay: November 28th, 2013, 8:20 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Marrick Corvis on November 4th, 2014, 6:22 am

~
Carver didn’t make eye contact with his fellow Pycon, but nodded purposefully at the rather apt order to douse the building. The water he began to gather around the Res he expelled from his little clay body could have filled a bucket on its own, but it acted like a magnet to the water in the fountain nearest him. As the fluid began to gather Carver began to stretch the shape of the Res he gathered. He made the shape of a cylinder, and began to spin along its long axis. The water flowed freely, and rolled along the Res’ shape until it spilled over the roof of the White Swan.

The weight of the water on the weakened timbers was too much, sections of the roof collapsed. Carvers focus scattered but he held the flow until he knew the timbers were doused. He knew that at least the fire wouldn’t spread. Carver watched as the falling debris fell inward around the tall chimney. As the fire died angrily though billows of blackened smoke, the Pycon was halted by a loud cry of agonizing pain from what remained of the front door. His concentration broke. What water was not flowing, fell to the ground in a tiny flood of rushing water.

~

Ser Whitevine ran full tilt from the gates searching for Marrick, Ser Iros tight on his heals in search of his own squire. The pair of them saw The Swan Burning and assumed the worst. Yet there was some hope. Archailist, leapt from person to person. But, where was Marrick? A cry of agonizing pain resounded from the front door, and Ser Whitevine knew the voice that made it. Ser Whitevine raced through the crowd and dove for the front door. The rubble and charred wood was a tangle of dead weight.

“HELP ME!!” The Knight shouted as he hefted his weight against the wooden beams.

As Ser Whitevine struggled with the wood he didn’t even realize when Ser Iros casually lifted the debris away. Almost as if it didn’t weigh anything. Marrick knelt protectively over a young woman beneath the debris. His leg was twisted awkwardly, yet he looked well otherwise. Ser Whitevine dragged Marrick off of the young woman, and the crowd lifted the woman he had cradled in his arms.

“Hang on there little brother.” He said as he carried Marrick’s broken body away from what remained of the building. “Hang on there son.”

~

Marrick blinked against the bright light of the day. But something was wrong. Smoke swirled through the sky. Something in him ached badly, yet he flailed feebly and tried to remember what had happened. There was a fire, and a dog. A woman. Samantha!

“Sam!” Marrick groaned softly. “Where is Samantha!?” The Kelvic shielded his eyes and tried to sit up. Stabbing pain shot through his leg and he looked down to see his ruined knee. It was agony, and his hand quivered uncontrollably as he tried to touch it and understand how badly it was damaged. “My knee… The Swan… Whats happened?” The Raven haired squire had grown hysterical.
[/quote]
Marrick Corvis
Rest under my Wing

Words: 268368
Joined roleplay: November 18th, 2013, 12:29 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Archailist on November 4th, 2014, 8:04 pm

Everything was going along perfectly. With the fire extinguished, Marrick would be able to escape and they'd be able to finish clearing away the debris with no more bucket lines. The Pycon was left beaming as he stood close to Carver, paws folded over his chest and watching the swirling water forming into shapes in the air, spraying out over the entire building at once. Even the volunteers who'd manned the bucket lines and cleared away the debris were now standing back to watch a small creature barely a fraction of their size perform the same work as several of them at once.

Things were going so well, it took several chimes for the squirrel to even notice that everything had turned sour. The water spraying out over the entire building was also crushing it down to the ground, with Marrick still inside. Timbers broke under the force, and stone chimneys soon fell atop them. Oh no... It was too late.

By the time the mage-Pycon had finished dousing the flames, the squirrel had already begun a mad rush for the opening that had once again been shattered under the beams. Don't be dead, don't be dead..! The onlookers were all standing clear by now, buckets forgotten and faces glancing between one-another. He'd barely crossed half the distance before he was overtaken by the familiar patron Ser Whitevine, and intercepted by the hulking Akalak that the squirrel was happier to see than anyone else in the whole world at that moment.

There wasn't any time to sit down and have a meaningful chat, though. With a silent nod, the crimson man walked on and hefted the beams with the same effort that one would raise a sword. "Oh..." The leg was the first thing he saw, and the only thing. If I hadn't given the order.. if I hadn't told him to spray the upper floors, it wouldn't have happened. Even as Samantha was raised to her feet, and the squirrels own four-legged companion sprung from the wreckage and into his clay arms, Archs mind was burned with the image until he couldn't even disconnect his nexus to take it away. "Come on, boy. I think that's enough excitement for one day."

They all gathered a small distance away from the White Swan. The smoldering remains were now being tended to by the few that hadn't already moved elsewhere - rock being cleared, timbers lifted from the road. Likely the place would soon be rebuilt, but until then, it was little more than a charred skeleton where the timbers and wood had burned to neat little crisps. Ser Iros knelt near to Ser Whitevine, with Arch's mount taking the initiative in the brief silence to step forwards and begin happily lapping at his saviors face. Not even the shouting could deter the diligent little dog, not until the squirrel stepped in and tugged him back a small distance.

One strong, crimson hand slipped down onto Marrick's shoulder and held him against the ground with a firm grip. "She's fine lad. Alive and breathing." Through the moment, the man held him down in a gentle and yet firm grasp, keeping the squires hands against his chest and his head against the ground. "No need to panic, you'll only be doing yourself more damage."
Archailist

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Marrick Corvis on November 17th, 2014, 7:11 am

The dark haired squire laid his exhausted head against the ground and tried not to move. He coughed again trying to expel the remaining smoke from his lungs. Archailist’s mount covered his face with little dog kisses leaving the Kelvic with a somewhat pleasant helpless feeling. The slippery slick tongue cleaned some of the ash and filth away leaving him only slightly less of a mess. His whiskers tickled and the Kelvic lay there with the Akalaks strong hand on his shoulder, looking up at the smoky sky with one open eye as the other was closed to the lapping tongue of Xarex.

He tried to laugh at the situation, but the painful jostling of his lungs made him only able to cough and groan in pain. Mercifully Xarex at last left his face to dry in the morning light of Syna. “Oi need teh see Samantha. Get me up.” Marrick said as he struggled feebly against the Akalaks strength.

The faces that all looked down on him seemed unsure. All accept for Ser Whitevine and Ser Iros. The pair shared a strange glance that spoke of not liking his request, but understanding. When Ser Iros removed his hand, Ser Whitevine helped the Kelvic sit up, and they turned him to where Samantha lay in her father’s arms, still, but breathing. She was alive. The relief Marrick felt made his wounds ache all the more, but it didn’t matter. They had saved her. They had done what they could for the swan. But they had protected what mattered most.

Life. Sylir’s peace they had done it.

A few more faces added to the ones that already hung around him. Juniper’s rosey cheeks and Pages uniform stood out among them. She looked at him with a strange nervousness like she didn’t know whether to hug him or run. At last reaching a decision she knelt at his side. “Marrick, you saved her. You saved Sam.”

The Kelvic could only shake his head. “Where’s Archailist?” The little squirrel Pycon appeared as he often did amongst the crowd of tree trunk legs. “Oi’m no hero. This. This wee Pycon though.” Marrick chuckled and coughed weakly. “This little creature saved us all. As well as a large piece of the Swan.” The main hall may have burned but several of the rooms were spared. It would take a fair amount of work to get the place back to the glory it once had, but it would stand again. Marrick beckoned for the lively bit of clay to join him, and when Archailist was close enough he shook the little fellows paw. “Yeh did well. It could’n been easy.” Marrick wasn’t sure what mood took him but he pulled the little Pycon into a hug. “Thank yeh little brother. Well done… well done.”

For now, rest was the order and perhaps a visit to Soothing waters to repair the damage done by bravery. Bones would mend, flesh would heal. Though none could argue the peaceful dreams of Syliras were rattled that day. Marrick said a soft prayer for Oriah’s safety and for Syliras to find again its hard won peace, he asked only to be an instrument of that peace. A guide through darkness. A bearer of that peace. Perhaps, though he might fair better with such a calling after his knee was better.

He let go of his little Pycon companion and wished him well with a final gentle squeeze of is paw. The wounded were taken where they wound be tended. Investigators scratched their heads. What could be saved was. What could be salvaged would be. Syliras would stand strong again, but at what cost? An attack on the city of peace? Who would do such a thing? Who indeed...
Marrick Corvis
Rest under my Wing

Words: 268368
Joined roleplay: November 18th, 2013, 12:29 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Archailist on November 17th, 2014, 7:08 pm

As the crowds gathered, the Pycon began pulling back - partially because he didn't want to get squished, and partially because he didn't want to be brought to attention for what he'd done. The only thing he'd saved was his own skin by not running inside and risking his own life. He could recover from a broken leg, because he didn't even have bones to break in the first place. He could recover from something little like that, and he would have, if he'd gone inside. Before he could even get as far as the first row of bodies surrounding them, a foot held him back. A large, armored foot belonging to no other than Ser Iros himself. "Ahh, I don't think you'll be going anywhere, Squire Archailist." Damn that man. If he was just a few feet shorter...

Suddenly, the foot lurched and almost kicked the Pycon out into the open, at the mention of his name. Damn him. Almost like he knew. There was no escape now, and there was little he could do but stand there as Marrick began talking. "Wha..? He couldn't believe it. Leg mangled, nearly dead.. and the Kelvic still had time to scoop up all the would-be glory from saving not only the girls life but his own companion, and dump it right on his little clay head. Harameus curse him. If the Pycon had the ability to cry, he likely would be at that moment. Instead, all he could really do was stand there as all eyes dropped down to him. "You risked life and limb going in there, when I couldn't and nobody else would. Don't think you're going to escape having all the praise shoved down your damn heroic throat, like it or not." Smatters of chuckling went out through some of those gathered, but the squirrels voice was trembling.

He almost embraced the man then and there, but settled for a handshake when it was offered. It was actually surprising when he was eventually pulled into a hug anyway, but he didn't hesitate for more than a tick before pushing himself openly into the Kelvic, stopping just short of burying his entire face into him. "Thanks are all mine.." If he'd not taken hold, then who would have known how far the fires would have spread. Who could have died inside. It wasn't worth thinking about. Eventually, he was pulled back by his own patron, to let the fellow squire rest. It'd been a long day for them all, and after the crowds began to clear once more, he took Xarex around the neck in a hug. "Think you and I have earned ourselves a day to ourselves." Hopefully the Windmount Stables weren't on fire as well.
Archailist

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Plume on February 10th, 2015, 1:11 am

Marrick
Observation +5 XP
Leadership +4 XP
Persuasion +3 XP
Medicine +1 XP
Tactics +2 XP
Rhetoric +5 XP
Intelligence +5 XP
Philosophy +2 XP
Running +1 XP
Bodybuilding +1 XP
Endurance +2 XP
Planning +1 XP
Navigation +1 XP
Interrogation +1 XP

Shield Points (Outstanding Bravery and Helping Citizens) +20

Lores :
  • Juniper's 16th Birthday
  • Everyone Knows About Me and Oriah!
  • A Horrific Explosion in Syliras
  • The White Swan on Fire
  • Archailist: Can Hold More Water than Me
  • Xarex and Samantha: Trapped In the Fire
  • Aided by a Helpful Painting
  • A Brush with Death in The White Swan Fire
  • Saving Samantha and Xarex
  • The Taste of Smoke in One's Lungs
  • Protecting What Matters Most
  • Archailist: Doused The White Swan Fire
  • A Taste of Heroism and Praise
  • Archailist: Exchanging a Handshake and Hug of Gratitude

Loot :
+1 rescued painting of the mysterious, smiling man
+50 GM

Arch
Leadership +4 XP
Riding: Dog +1 XP
Rhetoric +5 XP
Intelligence +5 XP
Tactics +3 XP
Philosophy +2 XP
Persuasion +2 XP
Navigation +1 XP
Running +1 XP

Shield Points (Helping Citizens) +8

Lores :
  • A Horrific Explosion in Syliras
  • The White Swan on Fire
  • Turning Oneself Into a Bucket
  • Xarex: Trapped In the Fire
  • Organizing a Fight against Fire
  • A Rousing Speech About the Greater Good
  • Successfully Defeating the White Swan Fire
  • Marrick: Saved Both Sam and Xarex
  • Kicked into the Spotlight of Heroism
  • Marrick: Exchanging a Handshake and Hug of Gratitude

Loot :
+1 small, golden medal imprinted with a swan (can be worn by Xarex as well)
+50 GM

Notes :
Splendidly done both of you ^__^ The painting part was so clever, and nothing quite gets the hearstrings jerked as a puppy in danger. Enjoy your little hero rewards!

p.s. and just a tiny reminder, no minutes, only chimes!
Plume
May I tickle your fancy?

Words: 139803
Joined roleplay: January 24th, 2015, 8:22 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook

Previous