Open [Farson Home] Hope For Tomorrow

[Prompt] Madame Thea awaits those who would lend the home a hand.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

[Farson Home] Hope For Tomorrow

Postby Perplexity on September 17th, 2014, 12:22 am

13th of Fall 514, AV
11th Bell

Madame Thea stood anxiously on the steps of the Farson Home for Orphans. For many years she had been the steady hand that guided many displaced children into adulthood. Under her stalwart care the fears of dozens of children were soothed yielding well-adjusted adults. Many of whom stayed under her wing to become caretakers at the home alongside her. The Home had once again fallen by the wayside with the disappearance of their former benefactor. So in a desperate plea for help, she’d sent out a call around the city.

The response had been slow at first but it was growing in momentum. Madame Thea was confident that with hard work and (Ovek willing) a little luck what the orphanage was in dire need of would be provided. She only hoped that help came before Morwen’s chill visited the city. Already the temperatures were dropping and her biggest concern was for the welfare of the children. Where would their winter coats come from? How would they patch up the ceilings? Where would they get their firewood? How would they pay for all of it? The caretakers already barely made enough to provide for themselves. What money they didn’t spend on just keeping themselves from falling apart they spent on keeping the children safe, warm, and as healthy as they could.

It wasn’t much.

Thea huffed. Her brow was furrowed in a severe expression of worry. She chewed on her bottom lip lightly. Both of her hands were clasped in front of her chest as all of these thoughts weighed down on her.

Thea.” The elder caretaker began pacing back and forth oblivious to the voice that called to her.

Thea.” She wrung her hands together eyes cast down at the stone porch beneath her feet. There were cracks in the stone. Some of the wooden planks along the porch were broken or rotting away.

Thea!” The older woman stopped in her tracks. Her eyes came to rest on a white haired young woman with a seriously concerned expression on her face. The twice marked Healer and fellow caregiver strode forward reaching out to grasp the elder woman’s hands.

Everything is going to be okay. You’ll see.” Madame Thea didn’t look so convinced.

How can you be so sure, Lily? The children—“ Lily hushed the Old Bear with a gentle pat on the backs of her hands.

Will be fine.” Lily finished the woman’s sentence. “Zeltiva has good, kind hearted people in it. No matter what the gutter rats would have us believe, there are people who will answer your call.”

Madame Thea’s eyes softened for a moment as the sounds of laughing children reached her ears. How she loved them. With all of her heart the woman wished she could keep them all safe within the shelter of her arms for an eternity but such was the sadness of a woman with no children who raised so many, there always came a day when she had to let them go.

Go. I’m sure Jaqueline is about to pester poor Zachary any—“ Almost on queue there was a wail from inside along with the sound of furniture being knocked over. A gentle, knowing look came to Thea’s eyes. She nodded to Lily who gave the elder woman a hug before going to tend to the children. Thea wrapped her arms around her torso the worried look settling back on her face. The sound of footsteps reached her ears. Her hopes rose. She perked up turning her attention to the figure making their way up the path to the steps of the orphanage.

Y-yes? May I help you?

Note :
Following the prompt for Fall 13th players are welcome to join in on the repairs! You can tend to any repair you can imagine being needed if you have the skills to tend to it. Including medicinal ones! Make your opening post to the prompt here in this thread explaining how you would like to help the orphanage. I will then post a reply to yours. You are then free to create your own thread continuing from there. It can be a solo or it can be done in a group with other players.

Only post entrances to the prompt here!

Some things to keep in mind:

-You are welcome to use all of the NPC's listed in the location.

-You may NOT utilize the NPC's Gnosis abilities without my expressed permission.

Happy Writing!
Perplexity's Office Status

Perplexity
DS of Zeltiva, Mod Privileges in Wildlands

Words: 440795
Joined roleplay: July 11th, 2013, 11:59 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Saraphina Skyglow on September 17th, 2014, 2:42 am

Saraphina Skyglow

13th Day of Fall 514 AV

T oday Saraphina had choosen to come into the city without Abaccus. Her mount had been rather troublesome latly and she would need to work more closly with her horse before she felt comfortable bringing him back into a crowded area. It was an interesting push and pull relationship she and her horse had. But for now, the ginger had come into Zeltiva with another purpose in mind. Trickles of gossip had reached out to the isolated camp she lived at. A call to the kind hearted to aid the lost and orphaned children of the Farson Home. Saraphina had always had a soft spot or children. Personally she didn't want to know anyone who didn't like children. They were innocence's, a bright shining light upon a darkening world. If there was something she could do to help them, Saraphina would happily do whatever she could.

I t was close to noon by the time she'd managed to walk into town. It would have been faster if she shifted to her animal form, but the sight of an adult northern tiger would likely get her shot by an arrow, so walking on foot as a human was probably a better choice. Making her way towards the orphanage was pretty easy. She'd spent enough time in Zeltiva that she knew most of the city now. The building was looking pretty rundown. She could see damage and disarray from the outside, the inside must look horrible. Walking confidently up the walkway, an elder dark haired women looked out at her and asked in a slightly stuttering voice, “Y-yes? May I help you?” Saraphina smiled kindly at the caretaker, making sure to keep her lips together. She didn't want to show off her elongated canines and frighten the women. "Hello. I have heard that you are looking for some extra help, some volunteers to fix up parts of the building. I don't have much experience in....well anything like that, but I'd be happy to offer my assistance. I have done some minor carving in Avanthal, I may be able to help with some furniture repairs or help lay some planks of lumber. Anything I can do to help, I'd be happy to try at."

Saraphina Skyglow
No chains will ever hold me

Words: 234308
Joined roleplay: July 7th, 2014, 11:59 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Perplexity on September 17th, 2014, 11:44 pm

Madame Thea regarded the young woman in front of her for a moment. Quietly she went through the laundry list of repairs that were needed to make the home suitable for living conditions. When she had settled on a task along the lines of what the young woman was requesting she gave a simple nod. She gestured to the floor boards of the porch.

There are a number of missing floor boards. They have either been broken by weather, rotted over time, or simply fallen out of place. The same can be said for a few legs of chairs. They’re a bit loose or simply need to be replaced. If you are at all able to fashion replacements I’m certain we can get them set in place.” The elder woman’s eyes were bright with an inner kindness though her brow was set in a heavy frown.

We don’t have much in the way of being able to repay you. You’re welcome to the food when we fix meals. Take that time that you need to finish the project. We’ll do our best to lend you a hand if you need it but none of us are woodcarvers.” She gave Saraphina a firm nod.

I am Thea. I am what passes as the Head Caretaker right now. There is also Vasos and Lily. If you need tools well you’re welcome to take a look around to see if there’s anything to be of use. There’s wood that we use for the hearth around back. Never mind how we’ll replace it. Leave me to worry about that. There’s also an axe for chopping. Use what you need.” With that the elder woman gestured for Saraphina to follow her. She lead the young woman to a neatly stacked pyramid of logs that would normally be used for firewood. Madame Thea then gestured to the axe complete with chopping block.

Come find me if you need anything.” With that she gave Saraphina a long stare chewing slightly on her bottom lip. It looked as if she were uncertain of whether or not she should hug the girl or simply leave but there was gratitude in her eyes. She opted to simply give a small curtsey and shuffle off to greet other guests or volunteers.

Perplexity

Office
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Ricky Maze on September 18th, 2014, 9:10 pm

It's amazing how one place can go for so long with simply just getting by when so many could pool together, and in turn make a significant difference that leads to a good outcome of change. For people to actually be able to stand up and do this meant that there was enough hope and love in the world, enough good in the hearts of men and women alike as they did the only thing they knew they could do, as any and every effort at this point was worth pitching in when it came to this one safe place that sheltered so many homeless children. The orphanage was a place Ricky hardly visited but then again he never really had time anymore, seeing as how he was a full time father and full time city watch. To show up here now though after Hadrian even discussed what all needed to be worked on, somehow he felt like that old part of his past had come to life once more, only this time it had been waiting for him to return for one specific reason.

He had to help these children.

The Farson's Home was the only place of sanctuary for a homeless child, and given that Ricky knew probably one or two kids in this place, he definitely wanted to see what he could do that would help improve the conditions. They needed help and Ricky was certainly one that wasn't going to turn a blind eye, not when it involved so many helpless children needing a warmer place to rest their heads. After a girl with ginger hair had finished approaching the madam and in turn went inside, Ricky himself approached the lady with a sincere expression to show as well. "Excuse me madam, Oi 'eard ye need an extra hand. Oi'd be more t'en happy t' provide tw' if need be. Oi've not any experience in carvin' or craftsmanship, but any heavy liftin' needed is somet'in Oi'll be glad t' help wit'. If de children also need it, Oi can tell a few stories t' dem or help wit' any activities."
Journal - Plotnotes - Announcement!
Scrapbook - Shop (Closed)- Vlogs
Credit goes to Fallon for allowing me to temper with her codings! :)
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Words: 2035002
Joined roleplay: March 30th, 2011, 9:02 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Ayatah on September 19th, 2014, 6:22 pm

You won't be welcome, you won't be welcome.

The paranoid little verse repeated itself over and over in Ayatah's mind. She - alongside the rest of her people - were feared, hated. The Myrian race was a tale used to terrify children into eating their vegetables, or going to bed in time. Surely, amongst the most vulnerable of children especially, she of all people would not allowed to help at the orphanage.

And yet, Ayatah had felt a tug of maternal instinct towards the hopeless place. She had never stepped foot within the walls, but she imagined countless children and babies, all dirty-faced and hungry, lying in a long row of beds like in a hospital. They'd all be strangely quiet for children, wide eyes full of mixed fear and hope.

She had to help them, because if her child had--

Ayatah silenced the uncomfortable thought and the flash of an old memory. Her jaw locked and her muscles became rigid, as if preparing herself for a battle.

Do not think of that, do not think of that.

As quick as the strange rigidity had come to her body, it disappeared and Ayatah sighed and relaxed. Such episodes - full of pain and discomfort - came and went barely twice a season. For the majority of the time, the half-Eypharian would simply not allow her mind to wander to such dark parts of her own consciousness. Those thoughts were off limit, banned.

Aya stood outside the orphange, arms folded defensively. She was most likely going to be rejected upon entry, but despite this possibility the Myrian did not move for another tick. And when she did, it was a determined march up the stairs and through the door. Her confidence, however, melted away and revealed a the desperate woman underneath

"My name is Ayatah-" a pause, "- of the Scattered Bones." Her clan name was said in Myrian, a declaration of her heritage should it ever be doubted. "I have some practise in medicine, herbalism--" she trailed off. Of the skills Ayatah had, those were the only truly relevant to this situation. A sigh escaped her lips, and her black eyes met those of the other woman. "I'd like to help. In any way I can."

Ayatah
The Scholarly Savage

Words: 667148
Joined roleplay: December 27th, 2012, 11:30 am
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Perplexity on September 20th, 2014, 5:53 am

Ricky

As Madame Thea came back to the front of the house to find a dark haired man waiting she blinked. Her eyes scanned him from top to bottom before she brought a finger to her lips in thought.

Maze? Isn’t it? I remember you. You used to visit the Home when Professor Aelius served as our patron.” She sighed heavily folding her hands in front of her. “Well, as you can see he is our patron no longer.

Follow me.” She motioned for Ricky to follow her inside the house. The interior was no better off then the exterior. The whole orphanage was rundown and in need of serious repairs. The floor boards creaked. The walls were in need of new coats of paint. Even the furniture seemed tired and worn just like the caretakers who tended to the children who dwelled within the home.

There are exactly forty-nine children here at the Farson Home. They range from toddler to teenager in age. Each one is bright and would shine if given the chance.” The elder woman turned down a hall leading Ricky to a large room. It was lined with writing desks. Some were dilapidated. Some were quite obviously on their last leg. Chalkboards lined the walls. Most of them were cracked or so caked with dust the black had turned grey. The windows were laden with dust that diluted the light that would have otherwise illuminated the room. Save for the occasional stream of sunlight that filtered through, a muffled hush lay over this place.

This used to be a classroom.” Thea stepped further into the room running a hand wistfully over the surface of a broken writing desk. There were memories in her eyes. Her touch was gentle, almost tender as she went floated from one thing to the next.

This room used to be filled with sunshine and laughter.” Sadness echoed in her voice. How many children had she taught over the years? How many lessons had fallen to the wayside simply because they had neither the skill nor the money to make the necessary repairs? She turned to Ricky giving him a sad smile.

We would have cleaned out the room of its broken pieces but our hands have been full just keeping the children safe, warm and fed. You can start here by hauling the broken desks out to the back where they can be dismantled and used as kindling for this winter’s fires. There’s a bucket, some cloths, and other cleaning utensils in the front hall closet. If you can, this room could use a good dusting and some thorough cleaning.” She clasped her hands behind her back moving to exit the room. As she passed Ricky she paused.

You’re welcome to the afternoon and evening meals. The bell will be rung when they’re ready. If you have need of anything myself, Lily or Vasos are at your service.” With that she gave the Wave Guard a slight curtsey before leaving to tend to other volunteers.

Ayatah

Many thoughts weighed down on Thea’s mind as she made her way back to the front of the orphanage. She passed a few children eagerly chasing each other in a game of tag. Her hands reached out to catch a young boy even as he tripped. With a stern nod she dusted him off then sent him on his way to continue playing. Her head hung ever so slightly. The elder woman’s shoulders drooped. When the sound of determined footsteps reached her ears she looked up, coming face to face with olive skin and dark eyes.

Ayatah?” The repeated the name without the foreign sounding language that followed. Thea had never encountered a Myrian before. Not face to face. She had heard of them but only in stories from passing sailors or perhaps in brief mentions from University scholars. As she studied Ayatah there was only the slightest furrowing of her brow but her eyes lacked any sort of judgment the Myrian might have become accustomed to. Thea had no time for such nonsense. Her concern, her life, her purpose was for the betterment of the children. One did not accomplish such a thing by trifling over what help came in what form. When the young woman made mention of some skill in medicine a warmth came over Thea.

Those are skills that are always in short supply around children. Come, Miss Ayatah.” Quietly Thea lead Ayatah to the second story of the house. The upper level was in no better shape than the lower. The stairs creaked, the railing was rickety and the walls looked just as tired as the elder woman. As she walked, the size of the Farson Home would become apparent. Were it in the possession of a wealthier patron the orphanage might have been a large, well kept estate. Such was not the case. There were cracks in the ceiling, panels missing from some walls, rugs that were moth eaten and holes in some places exposing the interior of the house to the elements. Despite the structure’s state for the most part the home was clean, it was simply old and in too heavy a state of disrepair to truly be managed with just the small staff at hand.

Thea brought Ayatah to a large room lined with no less than twelve beds. They were not large and were covered with simple sheets and neat pillows.The walls might once have been white but had sinced greyed with age. The beds nearest to the door were empty however toward the rear, near a large writing desk, six beds were occupied. The desk itself held a single occupant where sat a black haired young woman. There were heavy bags under her eyes but she exuded a resolute and compassionate spirit. Her focus remained entirely on the parchment in front of her as she wrote swiftly in a studious and slanted script.

Mary.” The dark haired young woman looked up. For a moment it looked as if she were processing the fact that other people were in front of her before recognition set in. A soft smile touched her lips.

Thea, yes? Sorry, I was wrapped up in what I was doing.” She rose from the desk with a fluid grace striding forward to greet the two. Thea gestured to Ayatah.

This is Ayatah. She has come to help.” Mary beamed at Ayatah clasping her hands in front of her.

Wonderful! Lily and I could use the assistance.” Thea nodded turning to Ayatah.

Mary will be able to guide you from here, Miss Ayatah.” Gratitude filled Thea’s voice as she curtsied to the Myrian woman.

Thank you.” With that she turned and left leaving Ayatah in Mary’s capable hands.

Note for AyatahMary has skills only very slightly higher than your own in terms of medical knowledge.

Perplexity

Office
Featured Contributor (1)