Open Whodunit?

Investigation for the Murders of Dynasty Members.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This lazy agricultural settlement rests on the swampy shores of the Middle Suvan at the delta of The Kenash River. The River's slow moving bayou waters have bred a different sort of people - rugged, cultured, and somewhat violent. Sprawling plantations of tobacco and cotton grow on the outskirts of the swamp in the rich Cyphrus soils, while the city itself curls around the bayou and spawns decadence and sins of all sorts. Life is slower in Kenash, but the lack of pace is made up for in the excesses of food and flesh in a city where drinking, debauchery, gambling, slavery, and overbearing plantation families dominate the landscape.

Moderator: Gossamer

Whodunit?

Postby Vice on September 25th, 2014, 6:27 pm

32nd of Autumn, 514

Murder!

Seven bodies (three of which were Dynasts!) have been found since the 12th of Autumn. Signs of excessive force, strangulation, and in one particular case, even dismemberment were found on the bodies. However, Magistrate Lorana Lorak has nothing to say about this terrible atrocity.

When consulted, our beautiful Magistrate said that her Office would be looking into the matter, but ten days have passed since and nothing has come to light. The Gazette advises all who read it to stay indoors, for there is obviously a murderer on the loose. Protect your families, gather together, for obviously, our 'beloved' Magistrate will do nothing about this plight.

There is a lone hero in the darkness, Kenash's stalwart champion in the face of its destruction. Alfred Lancaster has claimed that he and the Draer Dynasty will be looking into these murders.

"But, I cannot do it alone. I require the aid of those who are ready to stand before the encroaching grip of despair and say 'No more.' At the very least, I need two people who are willing to assist in this endeavor. Will anyone come forward?"

As he spoke, the Gray Fist's eyes shone with a vibrant determination. Will anyone join him in his investigation?

Excerpt :
This text is an excerpt from the very biased Kenash Gazette. The reader will start from the building itself, but feel free to set your own timestamp from when you approach Alred Lancaster about the problem. The thread will begin the day after the most recent inquiry. Preferably, let's get this started before the 40th.

Second Note :
I set this as an open thread simply for simplicity's sake. I'll keep it open to three people.

Vice
Pick yer' poison~

Words: 318086
Joined roleplay: March 29th, 2014, 2:36 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Plotnotes

Whodunit?

Postby Jed Radacke on September 25th, 2014, 7:55 pm

16th Bell, 32nd of Fall 514AV

Jed's knuckles turned white while he stood outside the Gazette, reading the latest gossip that the establishment managed to scrape up. Blue eyes shot through the ink displayed on the wall, barely registering the words he didn't deem important. Murders. Dynasts. Strangulation. Dismemberment. Gray Fist. Drear Dynasty. Investigation. Jed had read enough of the horrifying report to put an unfortunately common frown on his face. The dynast stuffed his hands in his pockets, attempting to conceal his tense anger as he mulled over what he had just read. Immediately the Radacke thought of his two sisters. Both would be safely stored away at home, protected by the family's guards ... But Jed had seen his youngest sister, Ismerilda, at the Pavilléon a fair amount of times since the opening. Considering the danger that seemed to assist the new establishment, he didn't like it. Although Risa would likely stay home, seeing as she never seemed to leave the Whiplash property, Ismerilda wouldn't. Nor would she visit the Gazette as any responsible adult would, all that girl did was party.

And so it was without hesitation that Jed turned from the latest article of the Gazette, his worry for his sisters fresh in his mind. Matilla stood silently by his side, waddling after him as best she could. He wouldn't let the gazette allow him to get all too angry. It wasn't unknown that the establishment tended to be rather... biased. But that didn't stop Jed from wanting to understand this threat. He wanted to know what was going on and how this danger affected him and his sisters. He simply needed to find the Gray Fist, the man who would be the one to explain this mess to him. He caught the attention of a small girl, clearly marked as the slave of a freeborn, she belonged to the Gazette. Whatever small creature that her kelvic side represented seemed to show in her soft voice as she asked him what she needed. "I'd like to speak to Madame Malana. I have questions about her latest article."

He spoke, watching the slave nod as she went to find the establishment's owner. Jed glanced at Matilla who stood respectfully behind him, her head down and her hands crossed in front of her. She didn't glance up at him, and Jed didn't expect her too. Although at the moment he wished his slave could read and would give him a calming word. Something to say that it wasn't all that bad. But who was he kidding, it probably was. "A Radacke, I presume?" The freeborn's words brought Jed's attention back as Ava Malana walked up to him, her smile seeming to welcome him into a conversation with her.

"Jed Radacke." He nodded, collecting her small hand into a firm shake. Her own shake was a little lighter, strange for a business-woman, but her grip was tight enough to assert that she would not submit. "I come to inquire about your latest article, about the murders." Jed was about to finish speaking but the proprietor spoke first, letting her hand fall on Jed's forearm as she looked up at him. Her mood was so expressed as she allowed the other hand to rest on her chest.

"Oh, it's so horrible isn't it? All those deaths and our lovely magistrate hasn't done a thing about it!" Inside, Jed's mood immediately turned sour at the animated way that the gazetteer spoke. Her words were a nuisance, but they were necessary if he was to get the information he needed.

"It is. Kenash is not used to such violence.From what I've read the Drear have begun the investigation, alongside Alfred Lancaster, I don't believe they will hesitate to bring justice to whoever has done this. You must have seen him recently in order to receive his comment. I'd like to find him, if you know where he is." Jed cut right to the point. His words forcing her hand off his arm. Although each of his words were expressed with very little emotion, he didn't care to spare this freeborn's feelings. If she wished to believed that he did not believe her word, or that he simply wanted more information straight from the source, Jed didn't care. She might be the one to generate gossip in all of Kenash, but when push came to shove she was only a freeborn.

"Oh dear, you are just in time! I was speaking to him a moment ago, upstairs." Her expressive face didn't falter, she was used to talking to Dynasty members. Ava Malana waved the taller Radacke over as she turned towards the door she had came through. Jed didn't reply with a nod since she was already turned away, but followed the woman instead. "I'm sure he wouldn't mind a chat, he is looking for help you know. A strong man like yourself could do very well."

The idea didn't sound too bad to Jed as he walked up the stairs behind the freeborn. It wasn't far before he reached an elegant looking office, where Alfred himself sat on the couch. Before Jed could greet the well-known freeborn, Ava Malana spoke up.

"This is Jed Radacke. He's come to ask about your investigation, he wants to bring justice to the murderer." Jed clenched his jaw briefly. There was no questioning how this woman got to where she was. It was so easy for her to twist words without actually changing them. It was true, he wanted justice and he was curious, but the way the Malana was worded it made it seem as if he was ready to jump head first into the investigation. He wanted to correct the freeborn but he didn't. There was nothing to correct, and he wasn't closed off to the idea of participating in the investigation. What better a way to get information than from the source? Jed snapped his left hand to grab Matilla's attention, pointing towards the wall. Silence guided the old slave to the corner of the room where she stood in the same position, head down hands crossed. She was to appear as invisible as possible, the best form of respect from a companion slave.

"Ah, yes. I am curious about the details of such murders. Were the dynasts the bearers of the more gruesome fates or the freeborns?" Jed was not fond of cushioning his conversations, the fact was becoming increasingly clear. Malana directed him to a cushioned chair where he would be allowed to continue the conversation with Alfred Lancaster, under her open ear of course. But by the time Jed had started asking his question, it was safe to admit to himself that he sought participation. Although it was more or less Malana's idea, it was not a bad one. In fact the idea of participating was now the reason behind his question. If it was confirmed, it would be certain that Jed would join the investigation, for his sisters. "You can see the importance of this question, although it may not describe the murder's intent, it does reveal how much protection may be needed until this terrorist is found. Miss Malana has already advised to stay indoors, indicating that this may be a larger problem then has been revealed. That is the root of my curiosity, you see, I would like to find out what the magnitude of this issue is and how soon we are going to solve it." Jed guided his words carefully. He was looking to find the answer he wanted. There was rarely a case in which the Dynasties where less important than the freeborns, but he wanted this particular freeborn to admit it.

And yet Alfred had earned a reputation in Kenash, one that should be respected by all. So it was unlikely that Jed would push his views further on the freeborn, had he said the freeborns needed more protection than the dynasties. Jed would not agree with his opinion, but he'd likely not argue with it.

oocI didn't know the details so I sort of let that fade out, I'm sure they will appear later. This is just establishing that Alfred understands Jed's interest.

PC/NPC Talking -- Common -- Thoughts
Jed Radacke
Player

Words: 84223
Joined roleplay: February 19th, 2014, 1:25 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Whodunit?

Postby Vice on September 25th, 2014, 9:58 pm

It was disturbing just how limited and unreasonable Ava Malana's article was in terms of information. It was obviously geared towards the defilement of the Office of the Magistrate and the unreasonable sowing of conflict in its seeds. Lancaster was a man geared towards reason, a love for justice present in him, but even then, the words that Malana had written into being were false. He was by no means a fool who spoke in such definitive and unreasonably corny speeches. He was a man who sought after justice through action. Though. however unnaturally the words were written, they spoke a truth that he was all too willing to contend with for the sake of Kenash's security.

It was, after all, better to allow half-truths to bring the curious to him so that he could clarify what was legitimate and what was hearsay. As the Freeborn tutor listened to the Dynast address him, he could hear the want in his question. The subtle guidance towards the answer he was looking for, but it was irrelevant.

Alfred Lancaster had earned his place in Kenash and felt no need to prove himself to a Dynast from a different Dynasty. The Draer had raised him from the man he once was.

"I've been to the scene each body was found in. Quite terrible is the fate of each one. Dismemberment seemed to be the most common fate of the Freeborn. Their arm, the one not branded with the mark, was taken by the killer. Trails of blood pointed towards the Terraces in both cases, but the body was found much closer to Ackina Plantation in one and in the city proper for the other.

Two slaves were killed and their bodies were almost entirely untouched. However, that is only because they were strangled. Bruising at the neck, stretched along a single vertical line which stabbed into the skin at the center. It leads me to assume garrote was used to kill the slaves.

The Dynasts are the strangest of all. Brutal, deep gashes were found on the bodies of a Konrath Akalak and a Rajor Dhani. Two Dynasties that are known to be rather physically imposing, but there were few signs of even a struggle. Which leads me to believe poison followed by bodily mutilation.

So, Mr. Radacke. Who do you believe needs more protection? The Dynast or the Freeborn?

My answer is both. While you and your families revel in the natural born status that you inherit, Freeborn work for their efforts and prove themselves to be useful. In this city where productivity is hailed and sung praise to far more loudly than the praise to any particular God, it is best to protect all of your assets and not specialize in just the one. And that, Mr. Radacke, is where I come in.

The scope and nature of the murders are such that anyone who wishes to see justice had is welcome to participate in this investigation. I'm sure the office of the Magistrate, however incompetently,"

A stern gaze was directed towards Ava, who quickly turned the other cheek and found herself intently staring at a framed issue of the Gazette upon a nearby wall,

"They are portrayed as, I'm certain that they wish to see justice as much as the rest of us do. There are, of course, other, private matters to attend to on Lady Lorak's behalf, I'm sure."

Alfred Lancaster then turned to Jed again,

"We have a few choices as to where we should begin. I suggest we follow our own leads and meet up in a few days."

Vice
Pick yer' poison~

Words: 318086
Joined roleplay: March 29th, 2014, 2:36 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Plotnotes

Whodunit?

Postby Adelaide Sitai on September 26th, 2014, 1:28 am

34th Autumn 514AV
Thirteenth Bell

It was two days after Ava Malana's article had appeared in the Gazette and, if Adelaide had judged it sensationalist, she was not any less perturbed by what she read. Murder, that darkest of crimes, had reared its ugly head in Kenash and was seemingly the work of a madman, the victims having nothing in common as far as the young woman knew. Something that struck fear in her more than the act of murder itself: the act of murder seemingly for the sake of it. That morning, she had visited Novak Draer at his patisserie and found that he had little information to give her as to his family's involvement in tracking the murderer, or murderers if that was the case, and had instead seemed more preoccupied with trying to get her to taste his latest creations as though there were nothing wrong. When she had made a move to leave, he had slyly mentioned that the article discouraged anyone being out of doors and that she should stay with him until the murderer had been caught, something which Adelaide dismissed with a laugh and a kiss.

Other than sensationalist and grossly politically motivated, the article had been wildly unrealistic. People needed to make a living, to feed their families and staying indoors was simply not an option for most. As such, Adelaide had not been surprised that, the day after the article appeared, the streets seemed scarcely less populated than they always did. Shops were open, customers flitting in and out of them, stopping occasionally to talk to a friend and, if their speech was invariably occupied with the murders, it did not stop them from congregating in groups on the street. When she finally reached the offices of the Gazette, the young woman was swiftly given an audience by Ava Malana, who had apparently just returned from finishing her lunch.

"Good Morning," Adelaide smiled even if she did not feel like doing so, "I've come because of the article that appeared in the Gazette. The one about the murders, naturally."

"Miss Adelaide. A pleasure, I'm sure."

Adelaide did not ask how the proprietor of the Gazette knew her name. Ava seemed to know most things and, after all, the woman had written a scathing enough review of a play the Sitai had performed in recently to validate her knowing the name of her victim.

"Well, not so much a pleasure when one remembers that the reason for my visit is murder." Adelaide paused slightly, "Or rather, because I would like more information about these murders."

"I know nothing more than what I wrote Miss."
the woman seemed adamant and raised her eyebrows slightly.

"Well, then. If that is the case, then can you tell me where I may find Alfred Lancaster?"

If it was possible, the woman's eyebrows had raised even more and a smirk crept at the corner of her mouth.

"Are you thinking of helping him? Is that wise? Do forgive me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't seem quite the sort of thing I'd expect a Lady like you to be involved with. Rather, I'd expect you to heed my advice and stay indoors."

If Adelaide had not resolved to offer Alfred her aid when she entered the offices of the Gazette, looking merely for information, the freeborn's tone grated exceedingly on her nerves. Why should she not offer to help where she could? After all, she was nobody's fool and could be very perceptive when rum hadn't addled her perception of things. And, if it were dangerous, surely it was still her choice whether to risk that danger? In less than a tick, Ava Malana had made up her mind for her and Adelaide had decided that she would indeed help Mr Lancaster where she could. After all, she was certainly not going to find out more from the woman in front of her. As she often liked to joke with her father, the truth and the Gazette were two entirely different entities.

"I think that that is between him and myself. Where can I find Alfred Lancaster?"

The proprietor of the Gazette said no more, but merely wrote down an address for her. Ten chimes later, Adelaide found herself with the man himself, the man with the nickname "Gray Fist" (which spoke as much for his reputation throughout Kenash as anything could) He was a man to be respected, and it was a respect that he had built out of his own skill and hard work. That was something Adelaide respected.

"Mr Lancaster." she smiled lightly, "I'm Adelaide Sitai. I have come here requesting answers, or rather further details, and offering any help I can with bringing this murderer to justice."

He hadn't interrupted but his features were illegible. Adelaide continued speaking, her voice slightly more confident as her eyes remained fixed on the Tutor's. Eye contact was important when making yourself seem competent.

"Naturally, the Gazette is unhelpful to say the least, but there is enough there to raise several points. The fact that both freeborn and Dynasts were targeted, that bodily mutilation seems to be a theme and that the victims had nothing in common. If we're to be purely logical, it all seems to suggest the work of a homicidal maniac?"

Adelaide Sitai
It is easier to look the other way...

Words: 331327
Joined roleplay: September 16th, 2013, 4:10 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) Power Fork (1)

Whodunit?

Postby Harkon on September 29th, 2014, 7:07 pm

Timestamp: Fall 35, 514 AV
Starting Location: Kenash Gazette

Everyone had heard about the spree of murders that had happened lately, rumors traveled fast, no matter which city spawned them. Harkon's dark eyes read the articles faster than one might expect, a product of his father's effort years ago. A woman most people knew, and Harkon not an exception approached him. Madame Malana smiled, watching him read, waiting for him to finish, "Such a tragedy, isn't it? And the Magistrate has no idea who is at fault, and is doing nothing." Harkon nodded, not in agreement per se, but rather that she made a valid point. He was not the most social of creatures, but she seemed the type that would spill until approval was given.

"Do you not agree? Every innocent citizen of this wonderful city is terrified to go outside. Who will we lose next?" She then walked around to get a better look at him, and recognized him. After all, one of her main duties was to know faces and who people were. "You are one of the Morealis' Freeborn workers, correct? I have seen you here and there with them." He nodded to her, and simply posed a question, "Would the entire city be so terrified had you not informed them so easily?" While obviously a barbed question, he said it in a tone of politeness he'd learned from his proximity to the Morealis. She looked surprised at the question, "The truth is the truth, nothing more, nothing less. It is what the people deserve."

Then in, the standard politeness of the Morealis, he turned and stuck out an inviting hand with a friendly smile, "I am Harkon, of the Sons of Lywah. And I would like to help. Do you know where I might find Alfred Lancaster? I wish to help him find the full truth." Again, his tone was one of utter politeness, but his wording indicated that her reporting may not have been everything.

A man's voice spoke up from behind him, disturbing the venom forming in Malana's eyes. "Well then Harkon, of the Sons of Lywah, you have found me." He cast a look at Malana, "Would you care to join me? I am sure I can give you some answers with the dance of tongues your employers enjoy."
Harkon nodded, and the two bid Malana adieu. They walked out of the Gazette and meander slowly along the streets, neither of them speaking quite yet. Finally Harkon broke the silence, after taking his time to think of his questions.

"What do you know about the victims, more than just their status in the city? No one murders without a purpose, and this is no exception I'm sure. So what might they all have in common aside from living here? And where were each of the bodies found?"
He would walk and patiently listen to the responses, and had full intentions of checking out the locations for himself shortly after. As part of the Morealis' security, this could make himself look better to his employer, and to others. And maybe he could learn a thing or two along the way. Harkon, after all, was dedicated to his work first and foremost.
Harkon
Player

Words: 70170
Joined roleplay: September 26th, 2014, 10:37 pm
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Whodunit?

Postby Estrellir Konrath on September 3rd, 2015, 8:33 am

Adelaide Sitai

Investigation +1
Rhetoric +1
The mysterious Kenashian murders
Ava Malana of the Kenash Gazette

Jed Radacke
Harkon

Withheld due to retirement
Withheld due to retirement

Notes

It’s a shame this story died, I would’ve loved to read more about the murders and each of the participants’ styles of investigation. PM me with any questions or concerns!
Estrellir Konrath
She Who Finds What Was Lost

Words: 338742
Joined roleplay: September 13th, 2013, 8:24 pm
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 6
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (1)