Completed The Harvest Festival (Part 1)

Where friends are made and pranks are played.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

The Harvest Festival

Postby Saede Lare on October 1st, 2014, 11:31 am

The previously clumsy dancer now kept up with her dance with ease. Maybe it was the speed, maybe the complexity of the dance, or maybe he was just more skilled than her. He stepped closer to her near the end of the song, just before it changed to something a bit faster. She hadn't heard much fast music before, but she liked nonetheless. She did her best to keep up pace, but sticking with simpler moves like before so that she didn't fall over or something embarrassing like that. She listened to his story, hearing of how his parents were supposedly killed by the knights, and wondered how he could consider joining them. Or maybe it wasn't like that. Maybe they rescued him. This place was a lot nicer than Sunberth after all, and one could do without all the poverty and moral dilemmas of Sunberth. After hearing his story, she decided to tell hers.

"Well, I was born in Avanthal, I think. I don't really know why because I was so young at the time, but they came all the way south to Sunberth. They didn't make it past the entrance, but I did. I adapted and joined a gang for a bit. Nothing serious, we just did some mugging and dug dealing and stuff."
Her voice trailed off. Was it best to tell a knight this? Hell, if she stopped there it would make her seem terribly suspicious. So, she decided to continue.
"Anyways, I was no good at it so they just used me as muscle. About last season, a priest came into town by the name of Darson. It was my first bigger mission, I was supposed to kill him. But I fought against my gang to save his life. My morals changed after that. I'm not who I was. I fled via boat to Zeltiva, and then came here. I met a few people on the way, but none of 'em are here. Now I'm a mercenary, but I only just got the job this month." Hoping that her redemption was adequate, she attempted to make the dace slightly more complicated, a footstep here or there to match the music where she felt confident about her skill in that area. Why participate if you aren't getting better? Suddenly, a thought occurred to her.
"Say, are you going to join the sparring contest or whatever it is?"

OOCIt's possible any of your character's could have known Darson as he was previously a priest in Sunberth. Note: he is deceased. Your character, should they have known him wouldn't know that. PM me for more details.
Help with the Fall Harvest OR Winter planting Complete!
Attend the Harvest festival Complete!
Help with repairs around the city
Swim in the suvan

Sass your superiors or play a harmless prank on the knights
Collect mushrooms/herbs in the forest
Help a stranger
Get caught in the rain/snow

Gamble at the Spinning Coin
Sing or play an instrument (Whistling or humming doesn't count)
Visit The Temple of All Gods and learn about a new God or Goddess Complete!
Eat/drink a speciality of a different city/region (i.e. Kelp beer from Zeltiva, Chocolate from Kenash, exotic fruits from Falyndar)

Alternate Characters: Isda Plorall
Saede Lare
Among the Changed

Words: 43957
Joined roleplay: September 22nd, 2014, 2:37 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

The Harvest Festival

Postby Garland on October 1st, 2014, 1:54 pm

The steps were getting a bit more complicated, but he managed to keep up a bit. His eyes went from Saede's face and his feet. He was happy that his friend chose the right path instead of the life of crime that is common in Sunberth. He looked at his Nuit friend with great interest, looks like he might have either a fun time or a tiring one.

He noticed that Saede was moving much better than before, he guessed that all they needed was a bit of time and a little bit of practice. His eyes lit up when she asked about the sparring tournment, or whatever it is. "Of course, I love getting a chance to fight a stronger opponent. Would you be joining in as well?" He noticed the large spear she was carrying, it did look really well taken care of, just like his own sword.

A few dancers were getting a bit close together, making it a bit cramped for dancing, but they could manage, without being too uncomfortable. Though his sword was getting in the way, along with his partner's spear. "Hmmm, you seem rather strong, I would love to have a fight with you, Saede."
Garland
A Father First, A Squire Second

Words: 687461
Joined roleplay: August 24th, 2014, 2:02 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

The Harvest Festival

Postby Sayana on October 1st, 2014, 11:05 pm

When the man, Bakar as he called himself, explained that he wasn’t really affected by the cold Sayana felt a certain degree of respect for his level of endurance. Sayana was startled by the handshake, for she was intending to use the point of contact to guide him through the crowd so they wouldn’t lose each other. She was so used to handshakes being used to establish and reinforce class (the higher class using their “high” hand and the low class using their “low” hand, or equal classes both using their “mid” hands), that she wasn’t accustomed to it as a casual gesture. It was probably just as well that he quickly retracted to the confines of his cloak. Though it confirmed to her just how cold his flesh was.

In attempt to steer the conversation away from dreary subjects like the cold weather she introduced herself since he had already done so. “My name is Sayana, and as you’ve guessed I’m from Eyktol – specifically Ahnatep. I…” She paused as she recalled her journey that brought her to Syliras, and made a slight grimace. “I… moved here just this past summer. The people are friendly enough but there sure are an awful lot of knights. They seem to lurk behind every corner.”

Sayana began to walk towards the stalls to where she might purchase a warm drink. She gestured for him to follow and never went too far past him. In fact, it almost seemed as though she was trying to “herd” him with gentle touches and brushes of her right arms, not wanting him to slip away. Had he not been so cold, her hands may have lingered but as it was she kept them light. She found him intriguing, and if nothing else, a challenge. She hadn’t met someone so distant in a while, although he seemed to have good intentions even with his nervous stuttering.

Again she tried to peer underneath his hood, but mostly she just got a good view of his chin. She was extremely tempted to reach around him with her high right and pull back his hood, daintily yet swiftly. But with a sigh she realized that it would probably make him even less likely to open up. “So what’s your story?” She finally asked.
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Words: 1543550
Joined roleplay: September 22nd, 2014, 12:38 am
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Syliras Seasonal Challenge (1) Alvadas Seasonal Challenge (1)

The Harvest Festival

Postby Bakar on October 2nd, 2014, 12:27 am

Bakar smiled at Sayana's comment about the knights. "I know what you mean. The knights are everywhere. Though, I suppose that's what keeps everyone friendly. The knights are not known for their tolerance of misdeeds. It keeps everyone out of trouble, mostly. Giving one group so much power, however, can lead to corruption, and revolution. People don't like being ground under someone's heels, law abiding or not." Bakar became silent at this, his anger towards the knights rising and starting to show. "I-I'm sorry, forget that."

As they walked towards a stall to purchase their drinks, Sayana's hand, or hands more accurately, were constantly on him. Guiding him, making sure he didn't wander. This made him nervous. Could she be leading me to a trap? Why is she so insistent that I stay so close? Shut up, I'm sure it's nothing. It's crowded, she probably just wants to continue talking.

"So what's your story?"

"I... I don't really have a story. I'm originally from Sunberth. Lived in Syliras the last.. 50 years or so now. I don't get out much. The only difference between Summer and Winter for me is I get out maybe four or five more times during the season.. When I first arrived some squires decided they didn't like me. They were pretty rough. Broke a few bones multiple times. I heard that they were kicked out of the Knights after a while. As I said, they don't usually take to kindly to misdeeds, even in their own ranks. I avoided the Knights after that. Still do, but to a lesser extent. I met a good squire the other day, nice fellow. You were actually with him earlier, Garland." He cleared his throat and moved on. "I-I used to just kinda sit there, not doing anything.. I recently started to practice my gl-reading and writing. It's been a while since I used it, and figured it would be a good skill to reacquire.."

Bakar wasn't really sure what to say, but he didn't want to bore his new companion. He racked his brain for something to say, anything. "Oh, I recently got a job at Li Mauta.. i-it's Syliras' mortuary, if you didn't know.." He held up one of his hands, marked with small burns from his slight accident with the incinerator. "Had a little incident there, nothing serious."

He awkwardly lowered his hand. Once someone got him talking about himself, he couldn't stop, he just said whatever came to mind. "S-sorry. I, uh, I tend to talk a lot sometimes, more so when it's about something people won't care about." He laughed nervously at himself. "W-well, I think that's enough about boring me. What about you? Would you mind telling me of your home country? I've never been anywhere but Syliras and Sunberth. I'd love to hear about somewhere else." They arrived at the stall and Bakar waited for Sayana to order her drink before finding a seat somewhere nearby.
As of Summer, 63, 515, Bakar has a different body! If never met you before, then this doesn't really matter to you, but people I've met should take this into account, as you're really unlikely to recognize me. :P
Bakar
The Quiet Undertaker

Words: 136278
Joined roleplay: September 10th, 2014, 7:53 pm
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal

The Harvest Festival

Postby Saede Lare on October 2nd, 2014, 1:15 am

Relieved that he wasn't about to spear her for her story, she breathed a small sigh of relief. Y'know, nobody really seems to care that I was a thug. She thought. He looked off to the side in the direction of the dancer he had been with, Sayana was her name. She was quite attractive, she could see why he would glance away at his previous dance partner. Maybe missing the advanced and exoctic dance styles she had produced. He turned his attention back to her when she mentioned the sparring tournament, eyes gleaming, and asked if she was going to be participating in the sparring tournament.
"Of course, I love getting a chance to fight a stronger opponent. Would you be joining in as well?"
"Of course!" She called, "This is just the type of thing I'm into."
She really did enjoy sparring, it was something she used to do commonly to pass the time in Sunberth. Although, she'd never competed. It seemed like a fine idea, but she didn't expect to win any medals. Not with her skill anyways. What was she against full knights and full time swordsmen? She hoped she'd at least last out for a round or two. The dance had become more crowded, and she had to focus a bit more not to bump into anyone. As this happened, Garland mentioned that he would look forwards to fighting with her.
"Hmmm, you seem rather strong, I would love to have a fight with you, Saede."

Saede laughed in response to this, in any scenario she was used to, this would almost seem to be a threat. But here, it was a challenge among friends to see who would win in a theoretical fight. She wondered how long the fight would go. Would it go to first blood? To unconsciousness or surrender? Would everyone have armor? Similar weapons? Training weapons? Anticipation gathered in her. She couldn't wait for the competition. Even if she didn't win, it would be exciting enough to see who would. Garlen had complimented her well toned body, and issued her a challenge. One she couldn't fulfill now, but soon.
"I look forwards to seeing you in the tournament then." She smiled at him, a challenge in in her eyes. "May the best fighter win. But for now, we have a dance to do."

Sweat was starting to form on Saede's forehead. Dancing really was hard work. Harder than she had expected of course. She admired that he thought her worthy of a challenge, not many other people would openly compliment the competition as far as she knew. It was a kind gesture, and she hoped to return it by giving him a good fight in the tournament.
Swim in the suvan

Help a stranger

Eat/drink a speciality of a different city/region (i.e. Kelp beer from Zeltiva, Chocolate from Kenash, exotic fruits from Falyndar)

Saede Lare
Among the Changed

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

The Harvest Festival

Postby Garland on October 2nd, 2014, 2:21 am

The dance was nearing the end, though it seemed like more people have joined the lively little jig that was slowing down slowly. He gave a small chuckle. "I don't mean to pry, but could you tell me about the gang you were in? Or should I tell you my 'crimes' here in Syliras?" He stopped and thought a bit before going on ahead. "I'll tell you my story first, if that's alright."

The steps were slowing down, maybe for the finish, maybe they were just getting started and there were more dances along the way. "Let's see... Vandalism, minor theft, violence against a squire, he had it coming, thinking he can pick on others because he had 'power', underaged drinking, public indecency, ehhh maybe arson... Not sure about that one though. Now you're probably thinking how I joined the knights, it seemed like my record was 'clean' a few minor infractions, but most of it was wiped clean. I don't know who did this, but I did join the knights and now I'm trying kick the crime habit." The look of anyone who heard his story was priceless, they didn't know if they believed him, but it was an interesting story nonetheless.

The arson charge was very debatable however. It was a fire hazard just waiting to happen. An open flame surrounded by hay, it was inevitable. He stepped a bit closer to Saede, some of the other dancer seemed to have semi boxed them in. One of the dancers bumped into him, and then he bumped into Saede. "Sorry." He said and looked for an opening for them to escaped their dancing prison.
Garland

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

The Harvest Festival

Postby Sayana on October 2nd, 2014, 4:16 am

She was glad she wasn’t the only one who found the knights a bit overbearing. She had been hassled by them at first, probably because she was rather different in appearance and occasionally obnoxious in personality. And unfortunately she couldn’t set them straight with her dagger, due to the excessive lawfulness of the city. She wasn’t making that mistake again.

When he started to talk about his origins, she raised her eyebrows at the, “fifty years or so.” She didn’t know too much about other races but she knew that many would look very much aged (even under a hood), had they been over fifty years old. But he was finally beginning to talk more, and less nervously too, that she decided to stay quiet and let him continue.

Sayana smiled as he mentioned Garland’s name, and instinctively looked about to see if he was nearby. But at the moment he was quite lost to the crowd and she returned her attention to Bakar. His comment about reading and writing was insignificant, unless that was all he did. She despised those activities. When he mentioned his job, she silently mouthed “morutory”. With a frown she wondered what kind of a place that was. Maybe it was like a laboratory. Probably had something to do with fire or explosions if he managed to get himself burned. But those would surely heal.

“Oh I don’t mind at all hearing about you,” she responded with a smile as they reached the market stall. “Though I wish you’d take off that blasted hood. I feel like I’m talking to a ghost.” Sayana turned to the woman at the stall and breathed in the sweet smell of cider in a pot on the table – and still very warm.

“What’s this?” Sayana asked the lady. “The finest apple cider of the Mithryn Outpost. And fresh as can be,” the lady replied and poured out a mug of it. “Five coppers to warm your stomach.” It was more than a mug of ale, but not by much and Sayana was curious to try it. She dug out the coins from a concealed pocket of her skirt, then took a sip of the drink. She was instantly rewarded with a warm sensation and the gentle sweetness of the cider. “That’s better, now I can tell you about Ahnatep.”

“It’s a lovely place, full of warmth and colour. There are busy markets, kind of like here, but often more lavish. Growing up I was always in and about looking at the pretty items, but my mother was a seamstress and my father a trader. We had enough to get by but we could spend it on just anything. Oh and the dancing. I always wanted to learn how to flip and spin in the air, but that was only for the upper class, or if you were loaded with money. But it was probably just as well that I didn’t learn the Semhu because I wouldn’t have discovered my own form of dance. Mother never approved though. She thought I should colour myself up and court those of a higher status. But my sister will fill that role…” She left it hanging as she thought about her family that she had left back home.

Then a bright mischievous smile lit up her face and she glanced towards the stage and back to Bakar. “But now you owe me a favor,” she said and gulped down the rest of her drink. “You said you know Garland, yes? See that spear over there?” She pointed at the slim spear in the distance, one of the few things that actually stuck out from the crowd. “I bet you that’s where he is, and dancing with a new lady friend that he met. I want you to distract him, while I go round and surprise him from behind.” She grinned at her rather spontaneous idea. She then pulled her cloak up and over all six arms, and for the first time that night she didn’t completely stand out.

“All you have to do is start talking to him or something. What do you say, do we have a deal?”
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Words: 1543550
Joined roleplay: September 22nd, 2014, 12:38 am
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Syliras Seasonal Challenge (1) Alvadas Seasonal Challenge (1)

The Harvest Festival

Postby Bakar on October 2nd, 2014, 5:31 am

Bakar debated taking off the hood, Sayana didn't seem too bad, and he honestly wasn't sure why he was so intent on keeping it on. It's not like she'd recoil at his paleness. Well, maybe. But it wouldn't be too bad. The women turned to the vendor however, and asked about the cider. He relaxed slightly, the attention off of him, at least for a moment.

When Sayana's attention returned to Bakar, she began talking of Ahnatep, her hometown. The warmth sounded nice, but he when he thought about it, it became less appealing. Being too hot might degrade his body faster, and that wouldn't do. At least with the cold it was preserving him a bit, if it made him a little stiff. Guess it's colder than I thought.. He gave a small shiver under his cloak.

He had no interest in the markets. Markets were markets. He was interested in people. People garnered most of his attention. She told him of her parents, a seamstress and trader. A good pair, job wise.

Dancing seemed to be a staple in her culture, the more advanced dances being held only for the rich and upper class. and her mother disapproving of her own, unique style of dance. She ended the story on her sister and how she would fill the role her mother had wished her to. Bakar was curious about this, but left it. He didn't think they knew each other enough for him to ask such personal questions.

"You said you know Garland, yes? See that spear over there?"

Bakar raised his head and looked towards the area Sayana was pointing. Sure enough, there was a spear, floating above the heads of the crowds.

"I bet you that’s where he is, and dancing with a new lady friend that he met. I want you to distract him, while I go round and surprise him from behind.” Sayana suggested, tugging her own cloak over her arms.

Bakar was silent at this for a bit. He knew it was just a harmless prank, but he felt bad doing so. He had known Garland longer than Sanaya, and tricking him felt wrong. He was never much of a prankster. But seeing Sanaya and her excitement at this harmless trick, he was having a hard time refusing.

"O-okay.. s-sure. I-I'll start heading over there now." And with that Bakar left, heading towards the marker, the spear in the crowds. As he approached the dance area, the crowd grew thicker. He attempted to talk his way through, but people either ignored or couldn't hear him. He sighed and gently pushed the crowd out of his way. As his hand rested on them, most stopped and stepped away from him. He ignored this. If he thought on it, it would make him too nervous to continue. Most would just resume dancing as soon as he was out of view anyways.

When he finally arrived at his destination, he saw Garland and Saede dancing together. Almost everyone he meets seems to know each other. Maybe if he had gotten out more... Did they know that they all knew him? Did they ever talk about him? What had they said? Bakar was starting to get anxious, how much did people know about him that he didn't want them too? He shook his head to clear his thoughts. "Stop. Stop. No need to think like that." He whispered to himself.

He looked over to Saede and Garland and waited for their dance to finish. When it did he nervously approached them both. "H-hello Saede, h-hello Garland." He stuttered. "Y-you two aren't that bad at dancing.." He shifted shyly, trying to keep them turned his way, the opposite of what he was used to doing. "S-so how did you two meet? H-have you known each other l-long?"

OOCSo, I'm assuming that Saede and Bakar know each other at this point, as we're about to have our conversation in the other thread, as soon as it's unlocked. That alright?
As of Summer, 63, 515, Bakar has a different body! If never met you before, then this doesn't really matter to you, but people I've met should take this into account, as you're really unlikely to recognize me. :P
Bakar
The Quiet Undertaker

Words: 136278
Joined roleplay: September 10th, 2014, 7:53 pm
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal

The Harvest Festival

Postby Saede Lare on October 2nd, 2014, 11:37 am

OOCYeah! Lets say they do. For now I will make the assumption that I kind of know who you are, but I wouldn't know your race as I'd think that's a bit private for you. You probably know more about Saede than she does you. She talks alot. :)
Saede and Garland were now kind of close together, she didn't mind very much. The dance was crowded, and they had to make room for everybody. He had started to list crimes he had some with and without the guard.
"Let's see... Vandalism, minor theft, violence against a squire, he had it coming, thinking he can pick on others because he had 'power', underaged drinking, public indecency, ehhh maybe arson... Not sure about that one though. Now you're probably thinking how I joined the knights, it seemed like my record was 'clean' a few minor infractions, but most of it was wiped clean. I don't know who did this, but I did join the knights and now I'm trying kick the crime habit."
Saede was actually pretty surprised when he created such an extensive list of crimes to have committed. She wondered for a moment if she should elaborate on some of the things she did... Better not. Although how his record had remained clean in such a tight and militaristic city was trivial was beyond her. Their dance sped up a bit more and came to a close. Saede honestly couldn't keep up at this point, as a novice dancer. She tripped over somebody's foot and fell to the ground, her spear making a loud clank. A few people in the immediate area stopped or looked over at her to see if she was okay. She was okay, but she might end up having light bruising on her back. She was now on the ground, and if she had any hope of not being trampled she'd have to get up now. She pushed herself off the ground used Garlands hand to stead herself.
"Ah, thanks. I shouldn't have pushed myself so hard. I'll tell you about Sunberth in a minute, just let me recover a bit."
Saede hastily brushed the dirt off of herself. She looked around nervously from her fall, and say Bakar coming towards them. Why's Bakar out in the festival? I didn't think he was the kind of person to do this stuff.

"H-hello Saede, h-hello Garland." He stuttered. "Y-you two aren't that bad at dancing.." Saede smiled to herself, obviously he hadn't seen the tumble at the end. It would probably be better not to mention that.
"Hey Bakar! I'm glad to see you're out at the festival. Lovely place, isn't it?"
"S-so how did you two meet? H-have you known each other l-long?"
Saede turned towards Garland. She hadn't known him for more than half an hour but she already felt comfortable around him. Like she didn't have to hide anything because he wasn't hiding anything either. She was about to start telling Garland about the gang she was in, and wondered if Bakar would be interested as well. Bakar was shuffling around nervously. Nothing unusual there.
"Well, me and Garland just met. We were dancing partners for this.. And thats about it. We're gonna go take a break, care to come with us?" She gave Garland a reassuring glance. She would tell him about her gang. That was kind of the deal, of course. Saede started to lead them off to the side as the next song started, towards some benches. They were currently unoccupied, but it wouldn't stay that way for long.
Swim in the suvan

Help a stranger

Saede Lare
Among the Changed

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

The Harvest Festival

Postby Garland on October 2nd, 2014, 12:54 pm

Garland sat down on the bench, seems like Saede already answered Baker's questions. He was really curious as to where Sayana was, but he wasn't going to say anything, Baker was always talkative and secretive at the same time.

He wanted to know about the gang Saede rolled with back then, but this was a rare occasion that Baker was the one to start talking to them. He looked at the two talking to each other. "It seems like you two know each other, when did you two meet?"

Now that Baker's here, he remembered the one thing that has bothered him about his undead friend's race. He knew that they never need to drink or eat, but does that mean he can't? Or could he still eat and drink like when he was alive?.

There was still a crowd around them, but most of them avoided the bench. He didn't notice the hooded figure going towards them. "Baker, so about the offer... You know joining the knights? Are you interested or do you have a different path in mind." He was going to ask about the food and drink question later. He was more interested in how his friend was doing.

Though, he heard the sound of grunts and clashing steel above the crowd, it seemed like practice matches were being held now. He wanted to go watch, but it would have been rude. "Hey Baker, have you told Saede how we met?" He asked his hooded Nuit friend.

He then remembered that his friend was dead, undead in fact. He must be beyond freezing right now, he really should invest on some warm clothing if he wants his race to stay unknown.
Garland

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

PreviousNext