Closed Fisherman With No Fish

[The Docks](Jadlin, Black) Ricky takes his family out for a day of fishing, but unfortunately a dilemma seems to present itself before they can start.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Fisherman With No Fish

Postby Jadlin Hayes on October 27th, 2014, 10:40 pm

Jad noted Black's hesitation with some distraction. He was concentrating more on whether a bait and hook or a lure would be better for her to try first. There were a number of minnows included in the fishing kit when it was first purchased. The Charodae selling it had allowed Jad several swipes in a tub with a small net to snag as many as he could. These were in a pail beside him now.

Honestly, he was worried that Black might be upset about the necessity of chopping the little fishes' head off and cutting it up right in front of her. He didn't doubt that she'd come around to recognize it as the unpleasant necessity that it was, before long. But it was still not the way he'd like to introduce her to a new pastime.

Her hesitation had led him to think she was already realizing what he was going to have to do to these "bait fish" as he'd called them when they'd walked out onto the pier. But her sweet "My Love" gave him goose bumps and set him immediately at ease. He looked up, expecting to see her face, anticipating the giving or receiving of a kiss. Instead he saw he looking strangely reserved, her gaze passing him to cover a different area of the docks.

Even as he turned to look, she identified the target of her gaze as his newly found older half-brother Ricky. In his happy surprise, he simply assumed Black's reserve had been nothing more than concentration to be sure of her identification. The possibility of any trouble existing between two people he cared so much about was not even remotely considered.

He hopped to his feet, grabbing the gear as he discarded several bawdy remarks about what sort of "pole" Ricky might have to resort to waving around, and how much of such experience a man would want to boast of. He did not think Black would be offended, but he did not know the woman with Ricky. He would see that change right now.

Still, the banter could not go without some response. He opted on something to acknowledged the innuendo without being too blunt. "Well, you know how it is...We're ALL sailors here, after all. Those long voyages give a man only a couple of choices." He headed toward them, assuming Black was right behind him.

When he reached the pair, he gave Ricky's companion a look over, without being too focused on any single part of her figure. "And I must say, you've chosen very well...for once." He added with a grin, hoping the woman was receptive to a bit of friendly insults between brothers. Of course, he could not resist a wave to Martin, "Hey big guy. You keepin' yer papa from skewerin' his thumb with a hook?"

He would then turn to introduce Black and initiate a round of introductions.

Last edited by Jadlin Hayes on November 2nd, 2014, 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jadlin Hayes - No Hurries, No Worries...
Jadlin Hayes
A Symphony of Synthesis

Words: 187030
Joined roleplay: May 29th, 2014, 6:15 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Fisherman With No Fish

Postby Black Onyx on October 29th, 2014, 3:18 am

Black silently listened as Ricky called out to Jadlin and she pressed her lips tightly together, briefly wondering as to what the hell she should do. She didn’t know the woman and she didn’t want to intrude, not that it really mattered for Jadlin was soon walking over towards them. She hesitated in following, her brown gaze drifting away from the docks. While she never objected to time being spent on the docks, she objected to being surrounded by people that she didn’t trust very well. While a kid couldn’t do anything except maybe poke an eye out, she knew that Ricky could be dangerous. The woman that was with Ricky, she didn’t know what she could do and it made her a little nervous to the point where she wanted to run. Ever since the two attacks, she was more weary of people and she attempted to not underestimate them anymore. It especially made her cautious to a point that she questioned nearly every step that she made. Was it safe? Was someone hiding in those shadows? Does it look like someone is looking at her as if they want to kill her? She angled her head as she watched Jadlin speak to the two before she finally decided to walk towards them.

The young equine had to admit, ever since her talk with Ricky when she had helped find Martin’s toy, she had been slightly put at ease that he wouldn’t try to kill her while her back was turned. However, that didn’t stop her from occasionally jumping at the smallest of things and wanting to flee. She regarded the apple core that she held within her fingers before she gently placed it into the bucket with the small little bait fish, so then they could eat whatever that they could from the core. They did eat apples right? She silently questioned before a simple shrug of her shoulders was given. Oh well, they’ll be dead soon. Although, at least she could acknowledge that they too would do whatever they could to survive first, before they faced death. She thought to herself as her brown gaze lifted to view Ricky, Martin and then Telion. Her gaze lingered upon the woman for a moment's longer, taking particular note of the woman. She slid her right foot back just slightly, so then she could make a fast get away if needed. While she didn’t particularly feel like running because it meant moving her arm, but she would if she had to, especially if it meant that she survived.

She gave a nod of head when she was introduced, her head angling slightly to the right while her gaze turned to view Jadlin, taking note of the fact that he seemed very happy and excited to see his half-brother. And why not? She asked herself, they are related after all. A half smile was given while she attempted to find out just how much this stranger knew. After all, Black could only pretend everything was ok and not have to lean on the one she considered her other half, if word did not reach him. However, she didn’t exactly know whether Ricky would tell anyone and she didn’t specifically want him to either, but she couldn’t really stop him. He had magic on his side and she? Nothing all that special that could counter-act magic, it made her a little too aware of her mortality. ”I would say funny seeing you here and mean it, but I am really not familiar with what it is that you guys do. She angled her head slightly before she glanced towards Martin who seemed like a happy little child, although he seemed to be better than when he had been when she had last seen him. Suddenly, her gaze then landed on some similar fishing gear that the family had with them and she uncomfortably shifted upon the spot she stood on. ”Plan on doing some fishing yourselves?”

Image Image Image
Active Threads: 3/5
Black Onyx
Sometimes, our scars define us

Words: 175802
Joined roleplay: April 29th, 2014, 11:49 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Fisherman With No Fish

Postby Ricky Maze on October 29th, 2014, 10:25 pm

Ricky laughed at the remark Jadlin gave about being sailors, it was somehow rather true odd enough seeing as how they were both a son of a sailor, and yet sailors themselves in their own right even though they've not the Sailor's Guild experience to back it up. Still he couldn't rightly complain seeing as how it actually made his day a little bit to see his brother actually have an interest in the hobby, as fishing was by far one of the favorable things Ricky loved to do. "Well it's a good idea t' learn eit'er way, fishin' is by far one o' de best hobbies t' pick up on." He told the little brother as he and his love bird approached, though Black seemed more or less withdrawn in her approach as she looked like she didn't really want to be here. Oi hope she's still not torn up 'bout... He felt a slight ping of guilt sudden hit him as he reflected on the other night, and found that a hand grasped his own firmly as Telion stood by him for encouragement.

She was already up and smiling with a friendly face present as the introductions were no doubt on their way, a laugh to follow at Jadlin's remark about how Rick chose well as if he had made some rather poor choices. Like Jadlin really knew about such choices! Either way it brought a bit of a chuckle from Ricky as his wife decided to be the one to comment on that remark. "Took him long enough too, since he was hammered on our first night together." She teased him with a wink, although in truth she'd presented herself as moral support for him. It made Ricky's smile grow more as he genuinely felt more confident in her presence, as his little brother greeted Martin while the boy smiled excitedly at the two faces he'd come to remember. "Say 'yes I am!'" She encouraged as the child bounced about in her arm, excited to be the center of attention in that moment.

"Don't worry lil' brot'er she already knows a lot 'bout yew two, enough t' know who ye both 're anyways." He warranted with a friendly grin on his face his arm brought up over her shoulder to bring her close. "Ye both know who dis handsome munchkin is, an' dis beautiful lady would be me wife Telion." The woman gave a slight blush and a chuckle, her eyes alternated between Jadlin and Black as she politely greeted the two.

"Pleased to meet ya, Rick's told me a lot about you." She gave Black a sincere look then, a humble tone present as she showed her own appreciation for the other day. "Thank you for helping Ricky find Martin's toy the other day, he's a numskull sometimes and tends to forget things." There was a bit of a giggle to follow as Ricky's smile drooped some, a roll of his eyes followed as he kept another chuckle from coming.

"Yeah we were gonna do a bit o' fishin' t'day, but de problem is Oi forgot dat we needed bait. So we're pretty much outta luck wit' not'in t' use fer bait, what 'bout yew two? T'inkin' ye'll get some fishin' experience underneath yer belt." He thought about teasing Black about "fishing" and how she probably didn't need the lesson, but seeing as how that could easily be a hot subject he didn't want to touch, he kept it quiet until a better time would serve.

Quest Time! :
The fisherman's family has decided to spend their day at the docks to do a little fishing together, however it seems that there is a problem as a few essentials are missing and need to be replenished before they can fish. If there's anybody who might be willing to lend the family a hand, they'd definitely appreciate a favor to such a person.

Overview: Easy Ranked
This is primarily a fetch quest. Ricky is in need of bait and the participants can either go get some more, or if there is already bait in your characters inventory to spare then that is acceptable as well.

Ricky only needs this amount of bait in order to complete this quest: 4.
Last edited by Ricky Maze on November 4th, 2014, 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Journal - Plotnotes - Announcement!
Scrapbook - Shop (Closed)- Vlogs
Credit goes to Fallon for allowing me to temper with her codings! :)
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Words: 2035002
Joined roleplay: March 30th, 2011, 9:02 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Fisherman With No Fish

Postby Jadlin Hayes on November 2nd, 2014, 5:29 am

Jad was glad to see Black relax a bit in the presence of Ricky and his family. He hoped it was just his imagination, but it seemed like Black was not very comfortable around Ricky. When the woman he'd named Telion approached Black to thank her for some assistance with finding an apparently lost toy, he'd hoped to see Black open up a bit.

It's not as if she pulled back or anything, but she still left it to Ricky to respond. It was only just occurring to him that, with Ricky's job being order-related, Black might feel conspicuous without an honest means of support. It had actually been one of the novel subjects he'd intended to use as conversation fodder, how he'd met Black because he caught her stealing his medicine pouch. Now, he was becoming convinced that she'd be humiliated if he did.

He covered well though. With a wry smile, and an arm thrown eagerly around Black, he replied, "Well, I'm sure Ricky would have told us a lot about you too, if I wasn't talking about my girl Black all the time. Or trying to save the city by throwing myself under runaway carts!" he chuckled. In most cases, he did not aim to make himself the center of discussion, but it seemed like the thing to do here.

He hugged Black with a genuine smile. "Yes, she's a big help to me as well. helps me keep my head on straight...Helps me find my way back out of stupid situations..." He took her hands in his, and looked directly in her eyes. "...helps me realize I've got purpose in life again." He mouthed the words 'I love you' to her silently, then spun back to face Ricky and his family.

"And today, that purpose is fishing!" He laughed. "But to be honest, I haven't done it off a pier like this. The guy at the bait shop...Balshie, or Baloo, or something, sold me this kit. He said it had everything I need. But..." Jad opened it and went through a gesture of searching through it. "there's only lures and weights and such. He let me take a few swipes from his tank to net some minnows, but I don't have enough for all of us. Not for more than a bell anyway. But you're welcome to use them while we have them."

He pulled out the pre-tied leaders he'd prepared, with weights and lures already on them. He sat down on the edge of the pier and started tying a leader onto the end of his line. He handed the pole up to Black. "Here, lover, give this a try. Just sit on down here and drop it in the water." He patted the spot next to him.

Last edited by Jadlin Hayes on November 12th, 2014, 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jadlin Hayes
A Symphony of Synthesis

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Fisherman With No Fish

Postby Black Onyx on November 11th, 2014, 9:26 am

The moment that the woman now known as Telion stepped forwards to address them both, Black shifted uncomfortably upon the spot for a couple of shuffles. The equine would then duck her head the moment that Telion thanked her for helping Ricky find Marin's lost toy. Why does everyone keep thanking me? She silently asked as her brown hues followed the cracks in the docks before she mumbled. ”It’s hardly anything worth a thank you, the kid simply liked to float the toy in water, so it was an easy guess that it would be at the Fountain.” She lifted her right hand to slide into the pocket of her pants, her gaze still remaining drawn to the docks underneath their feet. Silently she listened to the words of everyone else as they began talking and the attention occasionally returned to her as they continued on in their conversation. That was until Jadlin’s arm was thrown around her and she tucked herself in close to the male's side, holding back a wince as her left arm bumped against her bondmate’s side. She glanced up at Jadlin, only to quickly duck her head as a crimson blush stained her pale cheeks. Jadlin spoke about her often?

Black’s blush deepened in colour the moment that he said that she kept his head on. She hadn’t exactly been aware that he had gotten into too much trouble since she had begun looking out for him. Between her night time activities of thieving and keeping track of Jadlin whenever he didn’t want to do anything with her, paired with only small amounts of sleep due to reoccurring nightmares, she was feeling pretty tired. Once she was sure that the heat of the blush had left her pale cheeks, she glanced up just in time to see her bondmate mouth ’I love you’ to her and a smile curved her lips. A warmth seem to spread within her chest and she realized that even though she didn’t get quite a lot of sleep, it was worth being tired just to see the man beside her, smile. To see him shine with that glow that he naturally seemed to have. The young equine had to work at trying to be happy, to try and smile. Although, there was one thing that she didn’t realize that she did for her bondmate until he said so, was give his life purpose. It had put her off her guard a little and she stared up at the man for a moment before he turned to sit down upon the edge of the docks.

He was soon telling her that she should seat herself beside him and drop the line into the water. She then bit down upon her bottom lip and forced that smile to her lips, hesitant to join him. She had a bad feeling that she was going to have to use two hands instead of one. ”Well, you can drop the thingy-ma-bob in for me, I think it would be easier for me and safer for everyone else if you did it. I mean, I do have a tendency to do the wrong thing.” She managed a small smile at her attempt at making some kind of joke, although she had to admit it was a little lame. It was mostly her attempt at avoiding the topic of her forearm with her bondmate and she especially wanted to avoid it while around Ricky and his family. Slowly, she grasp the pole in her right hand and moved to seat herself down beside Jadlin. She glanced up at Ricky and Telion and managed a small smile, ”Feel free to use our bait, chances are I won’t be doing too much fishing because I’ll probably end up watching to try and understand the whole concept and point of fishing.”

Word Count641

Image Image Image
Black Onyx

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Fisherman With No Fish

Postby Ricky Maze on November 12th, 2014, 6:04 am

Telion still offered a soft smile as the sincerity in her eyes never strayed away, even if Black shrugged the appreciation of with a simple manner of humility it still didn't change the fact she did the family a favor. Then of course Jadlin seemed to step up just a little bit and put an oust to any sorts of awkward tension that might've erected between the three of them, granted Black still probably felt highly nervous about Ricky while he in turn had deep innate regret for the way the other night unfolded. He felt a sudden shiver nearly hit him had he not the ability to shrug it off, the hand of his wife there to support and encourage him to remain on the positive side of the outcome. Yes she knew good and well what he did, because he learned well that there was little points in keeping secrets, she was the one thing that supported him and he felt that she by all means, deserved to know just what exactly Ricky did before the day reached an end.

So naturally she knew good and well his other condition as well, though he admittedly tried to hide that for a brief period as well. Hence why he learned it was better to not keep secrets from his beloved, since she knew good and well how to find things out one way or another. "Oh? Well he's definitely done a bit of braggin' about how he's an older brother now." She teased with a finger poke of hers brought into the side of Ricky, the bigger fellow had a moment of cringing as he retreated back a little bit from the tickling sensations he felt.

"No Oi 'aven't!" He rebounded in an attempt to deny and cover his tracks.

"Oh please, if it isn't about how much you love Martin or being his father, its about how attached you're to Jad already and how you love being the bigger brother." She teased further with a wink sent out to the alleged sibling-in-law before them. With the short story about how much Jadlin came to love and rely on his lover Black, Telion crooned her head with an smile of adoration. She remembered a time where she and Ricky were in quite a similar situation, only they weren't actual lovers at the time. They were but close friends that counted on one another, supported each other as much as they could over the years, and in turn she secretly hid away the inner feelings she felt all while he remained oblivious. All along she secretly admired him and he never knew, until the day came where she met Hannah.

"Fishin's a wonderful hobby to try and learn, its what Ricky grew up doin' and how we came to meet actually." She added with a lighthearted tone, Ricky of course had already went in to see the amount of bait that was available for use. Enough for a bell at least, and if he were to estimate the amount of activity the fish would have today, then that meant he at least had around six to ten minnows in there. "And now you've got him excited about fishin." She giggled as she readjusted Martin in her arm, a content sigh to follow as slight exhaustion could be traceable. The child had indeed grown quite a lot over the year and he was only going to continue growing more, it actually proved challenging to think about how big and heavy the boy would get as he continued to age.

"Yeah got enough Jad! We'll only need four outta 'ere an' de rest should keep ya goin' fer de bell if not a bit longer. Dependin' on how de fish 're bitin' really." He enthused as he moved over to where his fishing gear and rod were, Telion went ahead and took a seat on the other side of Jadlin with enough space between the two of them, so that the older brother could in fact fill that void when he finally returned to join. The container of minnows scooted between the two men as they looked in to get their baits ready, Ricky took the short knife in his kit out and for a chime played cat and mouse until he managed to grasp one minnow in his hand. From there he carefully placed it to where he could sever the head off while its body rested in the crevice of his closed fingers. He hated to make the little things suffer, but seeing as how Jadlin had these instead of the regular sort of bait, he'd just have to make do with merciful deaths to the creatures while what was left would serve purpose.

Finally after a bit of tedium in trying to keep the lifeless bait in his fingers, as the body proved to feel slick, he managed to poke the hook of his rod through to where he now had it baited and ready to serve. "Roi! Now we can git dis whole t'ing started!" He cheered with a look to his wife and son, a wide hearty grin on his face as he then looked over to the little brother and his lover next to him. "While Jad's pro'lly got a bit o' experience under 'is belt, he's not a seasoned fisherman like Oi am. It's all 'bout how ye cast yer line." He teased with a brotherly nudge of the elbow to Jadlin's arm. Careful to make sure he raised the rod high enough, as the hook could very well catch somebody around him if caution wasn't taken into consideration, Ricky rotated his arm a bit as it circled around to wheel the rod. In turn when he had just enough momentum built, he released the line to where the hook flung out and in turn flew as he cast his rod forward to send it towards the water.

The reel gave a "eeeek" sort of sound until the hook finally dipped into the water some odd yards away from the group, as Ricky then reeled it in some to bring the line closer to home in the event they might get a bite on their end. "And dat's how its done, all in de wrist." He humored as Telion got a good laugh out of it, he did too of course as his intention was to tease a laugh out of Jadlin and Black.
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Fisherman With No Fish

Postby Jadlin Hayes on November 12th, 2014, 9:55 pm

Jad smiled up at his brother and his family, "Well, in all honesty, I DO have some experience fishing. But it was the type done from a moving vessel. What wasn't done with big nets, was done with much bigger, stouter poles, that could be locked into the deck and braced against the rail."

He started digging through the fishing kit until he found what he was looking for. "And we used these, only much bigger ones." he was holding an odd, twisted piece of polished metal, burnished to have a scale-like texture. It had two small hooks on it. "It's a "lure". You don't just let it sit still, like you do with bait. You pull it and jerk it through the water. The friction of the water makes it spin and sort of flash under the water so it attracts real fish."

He rose to his feet and adopted a pose of bracing his feet against great resistance. "We'd drop lures ten times this size off the back of the ship and let 'em run. Have four or five big hooks on 'em. There wasn't any point in casting off the side, the inertia would just drag 'em aft anyway. Caught some big suckers with 'em too."

In true sailor's fashion, he began exaggerating, "Caught one so big it ripped the pole free and took out a whole section of rail, right down to the scuppers, me along with it. But I got my foot tangled in some line and "Foggy Burns" had to reel me in with the anchor winch. With me as impromptu bait, we damn near caught us a whale!"

Finished with his story telling for the moment, he turned and handed the other pole to Black; the one with bait on it instead. "Here ya go, love. Uh... you'll probably want to use both hands." He started to reach for her other arm to pull it free. He was not thinking that it was anything intrusive, and he was surprised when Black moved to prevent him.

"No, ya see, you need the other hand to touch the line, to hold it, real delicately. You get a feel for the tugs and twitches that are in time with the tide and then you feel for anything that comes contrary to that pattern. So you...need to...hold it for a while...to get a feel for it."

Speaking of patterns, Jad was starting to notice one with Black. Not the usual one, where she was a bit oversensitive around Ricky. He didn't know what that was all about exactly, but he'd heard other folks talk about it like it was typical. "Bah! Womenfolks is all's worryin' what their manfolk's kin is thinkin' of 'em. 'Sumin' they's thinkin' they's lookin' down on 'em. Gittin' all teary-eyed over nuthin'. 'S'nuff to drive ya batty!"

But that was not really the pattern he was starting to detect here. This seemed like she didn't want to take her arm out. He'd noticed it before, but dismissed it. Sometimes, when they made love, she kept her boots on. He loved that. But that was only some times. But lately, she always had her arm wrapped, or stuffed in the pillow, or hidden somehow.

She hadn't when they'd first slept together, nor for a dozen times after. But now she always had something going on with it. He let the issue of the pole go, setting it down and saying she could try some other time, or use the one with the lure, since it didn't need any sensing for twitches and such.

So for now he, snugged himself against her, letting the baited hook on the pole he was holding drop straight into the water. This time though, he meant to ask her just what exactly the deal with her hand, or arm, was.

Last edited by Jadlin Hayes on December 5th, 2014, 4:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jadlin Hayes
A Symphony of Synthesis

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Fisherman With No Fish

Postby Black Onyx on November 20th, 2014, 9:57 am

Black watched Ricky as he settled down beside Jadlin with the bucket of bait between them, her brown hues watching as Ricky tried to catch what she thought were small little fish. A slow smirk slipped onto her lips as she watched the little fish give him a bit of a hard time before he caught one in his hand. She pressed her lips together as he severed the head off of the little fish. It wasn’t as if she was against death, for she had grown used to it, but she just simply wondered as to why they actually used fish to catch other fish. Wasn’t that besides of the point of catching fish? Ricky did his thing before he finally casted the line out to sea and her gaze followed the hook until it landed into the water, sinking down under the surface. It was then that she shifted her attention to the softly rolling waves a soft smile curving her lips as Ricky mentioned that it was all in the wrist. She wished that she said that she got the joke that they were laughing at, but she didn’t. Must be a fisherman thing, she mused as she felt her stomach clench with a little queasiness. Was it the apple that she had ate? She silently questioned as she turned her gaze to view Jadlin give his story.

Stories, this family could joke and tell stories amongst each other. They could show off and share their knowledge of what they had seen and done, something that Black realized that it was something that she couldn’t do. She didn’t have any stories to tell because she lived her life trying to survive, to steal as much as she could just to get by with what little that she had. Gently, she twisted her form so then she could place the pole that she had to her left side, a sigh upon her lips. However, Jadlin had turned back to her just then to give her another pole. She twisted her form away from the hand that was reaching for her left hand, which made him all the more persistent, telling her that she needed two hands. He seemed to then drop the issue of the pole, settling down beside her before he pulled her in so then she could snuggle into the man.

Although, then came his question about her arm and she tensed a little. The young equine knew that she would have to eventually talk to Jadlin about the topic of her arm. She slowly leaned forwards to look passed Jadlin to watch Ricky for a moment, almost as if she was actually debating on whether to tell her bondmate about her arm. However after much deliberation a simple sigh fell upon her lips and she slowly drew her arm out of the makeshift sling that she had placed it within. She hesitated as soon as she rested her arm within her lap, the fingers of her right hand gently grasping at the strip of fabric that she had torn from her cloak. It wasn’t that she didn’t trust Jadlin to tell him, it was mostly because she was afraid that he would go after the persons responsible. What if they beat him to a pulp because he chased after them, much like he had been when he had chased after the thief and ended up in the infirmary at the university for it.. Slowly, she took a deep breath, before exhaling to calm herself and she would then begin to unwrap the rag from her left forearm. The rag then fell away from her arm and the blackened skin of the ‘x’ was revealed to Jadlin.

Word Count621

Image Image Image
Black Onyx

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Fisherman With No Fish

Postby Ricky Maze on November 29th, 2014, 5:06 am

Ricky's face beamed with a sort of excitement as he knew what sort of poles that Jadlin had talked about, they were indeed the larger ones that many fisherman had to be tough with, granted it generally allowed for greater catches compared to that of the simple rods that the lot had now. They were by far much stronger and durable but even so still broke when one wasn't careful, and given that the sea was full of all sorts of mighty sea creatures, there was always the fact you could easily lose the rod in one strong tug if not be pulled off deck. "Aye! Pa taught me all 'bout 'em as a boy, dey be some real piece o' works when used by sailor's an' fisherman abroad." He added in a short interjection as Jadlin continued with his story, at this point it looked as though the older brother had been thoroughly engaged with the conversation rather than the fishing, all while Telion watched quietly with a few giggles here and there.

She noticed how different Ricky seemed to act around Jadlin, how energetic he became and how the enthusiasm he always held seemed more vivid compared to before. It'd been an interesting thing for her to watch, and while the family as a whole took time to actually try and bond she often glanced at Black, wondering if the woman might actually join in with the whole experience. "Yea, Oi'll bet one o' dem ol' sea dogs t'ought 'bout keepin ya as bait, what wit' ya bein' such a fine specimen t' catch whales." Ricky proceeded to tease with a brotherly nudge of the elbow at Jadlin's arm, a good short bit of mirth followed from him and the wife of course as the father focused on his line once more. He'd almost forgotten that he'd already cast the damn thing, until he realized that the hook didn't dangle near the tip of the rod as it normally did. That was when things started to unfold between Black and Jadlin, as he seemed insistent with her on holding a rod in the proper form. Though his intent was only pure good will by all means, Ricky couldn't say anything even though he knew.

He knew what her reason was for trying to avoid the use of her arm, and he kept his mouth shut about too seeing as how it wasn't his business. Yet seeing the two nearly argue for a moment, that left him in a bit of an awkward position for a little bit. There was an instant where it seemed like the situation was put to ease, though Jadlin appeared to whisper into her ear as Ricky proceeded to look at Telion. His wife knew the story of course and knowing what to expect, she gave him a look that he needed any words to be put with it. She half expected him to say something but then again she also expected him to remain silent, as it was a look that suggested for him to do what he thought best in the situation. When Ricky glanced over he noticed that Black had looked at him, with a look of consideration found in her expression. Is she gonna tell 'im? She can't hide it ferever 'fter all. There was much hesitation found in her form, the language in her body showed that she didn't wish to, yet at the same time she looked as though she were going to anyway. This could only mean she wasn't ready for him to bear witness the scar on her arm, as she remained determined to keep it secret even up to this point.

Yet it was for reasons of protection or so she said, as Ricky recalled the other day that she wanted to keep Jadlin safe. She feared for what he would do, and didn't want him going about getting injured by chasing after these criminals. She'd yet to tell Ricky about them, but he hoped she would do so soon, because they needed to be brought to justice for their crimes. Still that wasn't what mattered at the moment, what mattered was the fact her secret became exposed. Jadlin could now see the crossed lines to mark her shoulder, a branded memory carved into her flesh, to remind her of this criminal she encountered. Telion couldn't help but looked baffled about it and in turn averted her gaze, her face paled a little as she suddenly seemed a bit sick. So she's done it, now it all depends on how Jadlin 'll take it. He figured as he gave a nod of reassurance toward Black, he had to admit he was rather proud of her coming clean with the fact she'd kept her injury a secret.

"Yew okay love?" He spoke in a murmur towards his wife, Telion replaced her slight frown with a soft smile as she nodded gently.

"Just the stomach actin' up, I think its the fish." She glanced down to the bucket of minnows and then back up to Ricky, a quiet giggle to follow as he planted a gentle kiss on her forehead. When the couple proceeded to look towards Jadlin and Black, Ricky would keep a look of understanding towards the couple beside him while Telion's expression remained sincere, while she would look to Black with hopes the woman wasn't in too much pain.
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Fisherman With No Fish

Postby Jadlin Hayes on December 5th, 2014, 5:42 am

Jad was greatly relieved to see Black finally relent in concealing whatever was the issue with her arm. He had been prepared to see some ugly tattoo that he would have to respond to; either by agreeing with a sympathetic chuckle that it had been a mistake, or by agreeing with an enthusiastic lie that it looked great.

When the wrap fell away, Jad was unsure for a moment what he was looking at. This was no tattoo, that was for certain, even though it seemed to have a deliberate "X" shape. But the coloration encompassing it soon showed it to be what it truly was. For a tick, denial told him it was something she'd accidentally done to herself. But logic slapped this foolishness aside, leaving only the anger...the rage...the fury.

In a flash, the subtle tints of sunrise were subsumed in a growing field of red, as sheer reckless mayhem beckoned him to react. He released her hand as the ambient sounds of the pier were likewise drowned out by a feral hum. He found himself on his feet without realizing he'd stood, and his gaze turned everything in the direction of East Street into a blazing wreckage of wailing thugs. He would leech the very bones from their bodies!

There may have been someone saying something to him, pleading, begging. It didn't matter, he heard nothing but the screams of those he would soon be killing. Someone may have put hands on him, trying to hold him back. That too, didn't matter. They were only the hands of the doomed trying in vain to pull themselves free of his leeching embrace. He may have been laughing, he didn't know, he didn't care. His hands were trembling claws, begging for thugs to strangle, for heads to twist from necks!

He started to take a step in the direction of the shore. Now he was sure he heard some nuisance interrupting him with some foolish concept of waiting! The very idea! The thought of delay was nearly as much a crime as what had been done to Black. He spun to lash out at such betrayal, to add them to his list of targets if they spoke such treason again, when a sound finally got through to his real soul...

The sound of Martin laughing!

Realization of where his soul had just been, the door it been prepared to kick down and stride irrevocably through. The road he'd been so eager to travel...He looked at the boy, the pure delighted joy, on the innocent face. The single happy syllable, spoken with an arm outstretched in Jad's direction, the smile beaming, "CHA!..." followed by more laughter.

Now Jad staggered again, in as much shock as the sight of his beloved woman's maiming had caused him. His mouth moved soundlessly. There were no words that could aid him now. Only tears. He looked at Black, seeing the alarm and desperation in her face. And over at his brother and his wife. She looked uncertain, and Ricky looked as though he was quite prepared to draw sword if necessary. And now the tears came...

His babbled apologies were too broken to be deciphered. He couldn't have told what he'd said if he was asked. The terror of realizing how far he could drift from humanity struck him to his core, and he dropped to his knees, taking Black's hand in his own again, so gently kissing it, cradling it, suddenly worrying that the salt in his tears might aggravate it.

He looked up, casting his apologies to everyone, especially Martin, who still laughed merrily. Then he thanked the child...And hugged Black...And apologized again...And thanked Martin again. Then turned to Black, "My love, I am so sorry I alarmed you. I can NOT let this pass unpunished. But I will hope that giving the Wave Guard my descriptions of the bastards that did this to you will serve that end sufficiently. I...want to kill them...I admit...but...I guess...they didn't actually kill you."

He said that loud enough for Ricky to hear. Then he leaned in close to kiss Black; a long tender kiss. Then as they pulled away, he said quietly, "We can discuss this later. I have things to say that Ricky should not hear. But I will listen to whatever you have to say before I do anything."

Last edited by Jadlin Hayes on February 1st, 2015, 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jadlin Hayes
A Symphony of Synthesis

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

PreviousNext