Closed [The Training Grounds] Pulling Strings.

Arch and Imellion get paired up for training.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

[The Training Grounds] Pulling Strings.

Postby Archailist on November 22nd, 2014, 1:58 pm

My Words | Your Words | My Thoughts

The Akalak was so absorbed in his own ranting, he didn't even notice the other knight slipping between the other fighters to take a place beside the other competitor. "Strength is what gives us the power to lead, and separates those that should follow. When faced with the strife of our adversaries, and those that would challenge peace and civilization, it is the strength of the knights, individual and as a whole, that will keep them united." Even at a distance, it wasn't hard to discern that there were some that agreed with the knights words, and others that most certainly did not. "Strength is what I teach, even if strength is not what you have learned, Squire Archailist."

The squirrel was about to make a furious retort, but stopped at the rapping of a stick against the floor. Seemed like the argument was about to take a twist, because just when it seemed like the Akalak was going to lie the matter to rest, the new knight interjected and the man ran off into another string of rants. "Oh, really? Well, you may teach that to your squire as you please. I'm sure you've had a good 150 years to come to that conclusion." That was probably pushing the limit a little far, but the Akalak was seriously troubled by all of this, and it was really showing. Crimson veins were popping up over his neck, tracing just over the rim of the thick plate-mail armour he often wore like it was nothing but thin cloth. "I'm also damn sure this isn't the Sunken Scars of Taloba. We don't measure strength by the scars we wear on our back. We wear it in our pride and our determination. I'm giving the girl a chance to use this damn 'power' and all I've seen so far is a severe lack in effort."

He was suddenly aware that there was a squirrel next to him, and another squire next to the other knight. "Now, I've given you a very simple task, Arch. Not even a painful one, for either of you. Go over there, and touch her on the forehead so that we can continue. I want to see some real fighting going on!" There was a hidden growl in his voice as he used the side of his foot to nudge the squirrel forwards a few steps. Arch, conversely, was on the edge of his damn sanity from the words already spoken so far today, and the arguments he'd repeatedly put up with from his own patron. The man had no grasp of anything other than strength - not that it was really very hard to understand why. In battle, arrows and swords may as well have bounced off the man like they'd struck a stone wall.

Still, even after all they'd gone through together - including countless training sessions, most of which had ended up the Akalaks defeat, despite his immense strength - he'd refused to budge on the matter. Perhaps the squirrel was just as stubborn as the Akalak, to believe that one day the crimson man would understand that there was more to life than just body-building.
Archailist
And the potter said unto the clay, BE WARE...

Words: 942771
Joined roleplay: November 28th, 2013, 8:20 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Imellion on November 30th, 2014, 3:02 am

Imellion tried to shrink herself down as the knight turned his focus on Sera Lyonia. It was a touch ironic, given that one of the closest individuals to her was a Pycon. No matter how hard she tried, she would not appear to be the smallest and least noticeable. She could certainly try though.

But then Ser Iros started yelling at Lyonia. Imellion frowned. That wasn't needed. She inhaled sharply, and hunched her shoulders. Something seethed within her, begging to burst out, but she bit her tongue. That never turned out well with the slavers, and by the way this knight acted, she saw no reason for the result to be any different. Or much difference between the individuals either. Stubborn, arrogant, and overbearing. It was almost as if she hadn't left.

There was something fascinating how Sera Lyonia responded though. She didn't shrink or duck her head as Imellion did. She simply stood there, head tilted slightly to one side, and idly tapped her walking stick on the ground. Unimpressed. Mildly disapproving. It was the same look she got when Imellion wanted to break down and quit. The older woman frowned thoughtfully, and then turned on her heel to approach Imellion.

Imellion stood a little straighter at attention, spear held mostly upright. It only swayed a little. Her back was straight. Arms at her side. Chin up. Lyonia gave her a small approving nod and moved in closer, speaking softly.

"We have focused mostly on stance and just getting familiar with them so far. Now you need to know footwork." She held her arms up as if she held a spear, and shifted her body so her right foot was in front of her with her shoulder facing forward. "Follow."

Imellion changed her posture to mimic the pose, and Lyonia paused to shift her front leg.

"Keep your feet no farther apart than your shoulders and bend your knees. Stand on the fronts of your feet."

Imellion did so, swaying slightly at the change in weight caused a burn to begin to build up in her muscles. She bit her lip and forced herself to stay in that position. Too stiffly, apparently. Lyonia shook her head.

"Keep your muscles loose. Small steps with your front foot, follow with the back foot. Use the spear to keep opponents at a distance. We'll work on more later." She gave a quick, small smile, and then added softly, "Remember, the mind will always rule the body."

"And when the body fails, the mind goes on," Imellion finished solemnly. Lyonia nodded and moved away to face Archailist. "Should we continue?"

Avatar and post template by Avarice, Sig by Aydel
Threads: 2/3
Imellion
Player

Words: 62148
Joined roleplay: October 24th, 2014, 4:50 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Archailist on December 2nd, 2014, 7:46 pm

The Akalak was about ready to give up. All he wanted was a simple fight; a spar to test the squires strength, but instead he got little more than a quivering punching bag barely able to swing the weapon. Now, of all things, they had to stop just for the girl to be given some proper lessons in how to use it. He grumbled to himself silently, scowling in silence. Other knights and squires in the grounds passed small glances over in their direction, but otherwise kept to themselves. It wasn't exactly uncommon, really. For a knight and an Akalak brought up on discipline and self-control, the man didn't really show a lot of it. Maybe it was just because so many people couldn't see his way of thinking.

When the time came to make the final choice to continue, he didn't know what to do. Ser Iros had sunk into a brooding silence, making no gesture to either stop or continue. Whatever Sera Lyonia felt on the issue, the squirrel couldn't decipher from her face or her voice. Not even from the fellow squire really showed much, although if her previous frustration was anything to go from, it was quite obvious that she didn't like this fight.. or whatever this training exercise could be called. He'd have to run off his own instincts.

"... If she would like to continue." He didn't turn around, but he could hear a loud grunt from behind as the Akalak finally turned and walked right out of the Grounds. Apparently he'd suffered enough for one day. He wouldn't be gone for long though - he needed his weapons back, after all. For now, at least, the two squires and one patron knight were left to their own devices. "I mean, if.. sorry, I didn't actually get your name." For some reason, he felt more uneasy around the new patron knight than he did with his own. Perhaps he was just used to the condescending glares and harsh tones of Ser Iros; having to adjust to a new one was quite nerve-wracking, and he found himself consistently glancing back to her. Not for approval, just.. being cautious.
Archailist

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Imellion on December 7th, 2014, 5:37 am

Sera Lyonia gave a small, almost cold smile as Ser Iros departed in a huff. Imellion had never seen that smile from her before, and it sent a shiver down her spine. Only other places she had seen that type of smile was on the faces of predators. The smile vanished.

"... If she would like to continue. I mean, if... sorry, I didn't actually get your name," The other squire said, and Imellion's eyes widened in surprise. That was true. She had not given hers. She gave a quick, small curtsy. Or partial curtsy, as one could not truly curtsy in trousers. It was simply incorrect.

"I am... Imellion," She was about to stop there, but remembered she'd adopted a surname after her arrival, "Sylira." Was it a pretentious name? Or stupid? How many had surnames here? Well, so be it. It had been her second major life decision and she was going to stick by it. A chill settled across her stomach.

That was an unsettling thought. Sticking by a decision, especially major ones, had ended badly for her before. Usually involving a switch or fist and bruises. But then, she'd get bruises just by being in the order. Might as well and try to stick with her decisions then.

She looked over to Sera Lyonia for guidance about continuing. The older woman just shrugged, face blank, nodded her head towards Imellion.

"You need to make your own decisions," Lyonia shifted her cane, tapping it thoughtfully, "It's the key to being a leader, a knight, and a freed woman." She gave Imellion a piercing look. "One you need to learn."

Imellion gave a short nod, blood beginning to pound in her ears. How was she to choose? What was expected of her here? Think. What values and precepts did the knights value? Integrity. Honor. Generosity. Patience. Dedication. Ser Iros valued strength, but others appeared to disagree.

What was integrity in this situation? What was honor here? What did it demand? She frowned and closed her eyes, thinking it through.

Continuing would lead to further embarrassment, bruises, but also experience. Not continuing might be seen as quitting. But it was also clearly unnecessary and unproductive with the time being better spent in other activities.

Either decision could be the wrong one. But either might be the right one. Could the difference be in the reason? No, probably not. Something was tearing itself apart inside her, slashing at her and contorting in and out.

She just needed to make a decision and put it to rest. Dithering back and forth was getting her nowhere. Imellion cleared her throat.

"I..I..think," She stammered,"That... neither of us...will benefit at the present moment. Perhaps... we should try again? In the future?" Imellion gave him a shy smile. "When I am less of an idiot?"

More like when she could actually use the weapons and when they were in her size. Nobody would ask the other squire to fight with these. Was her being human simply enough to warrant being able to use any weapon? Most of which were designed for men larger than herself? Even the longsword seemed strangely long in her hand. Fortunately, they were rather light. Only a few pounds.

She gave another faint, hopeful smile, and looked over to Sera Lyonia. What did the woman think of her decision? She searched the older woman's face for some sign. It was as blank and craggy as a mountain face, but did not show whether or not she approved of Imellion's decisions.

Imellion's heart slowly sank while her head and shoulders dropped. Was that how it was going to be then?

Lyonia's face softened somewhat and a smile played at her lips. She moved forward to rest a hand lightly on Imellion's shoulder.

"We'll discuss your decision in private," Lyonia whispered, before walking off away from the crowd. Imellion watched her go, somewhat confused. She'd follow in a bit, after this was resolved.

Avatar and post template by Avarice, Sig by Aydel
Threads: 2/3
Imellion
Player

Words: 62148
Joined roleplay: October 24th, 2014, 4:50 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Archailist on December 7th, 2014, 5:16 pm

Sure, he'd expected a name, but not a full presentation. All he could really manage was a somewhat awkward and stiff bow in return, while he simultaneously hid his surprise at her name. Imellion... Sylira. Humans have strange names. He honestly didn't know whether humans chose their own names, or they were simply given them by their parents or their ancestors, or what have you. At least he did. Now he knew, because surely the girl couldn't have chosen that name for herself.. "I see. Pleasure to meet you." Things were flowing a little easier, now that the Akalak had fled - a little more decorum, and a little more order. If they were lucky, they might manage a decent conversation before he came back again.

One thing was certain. When he returned, they either needed to be fighting or gone; there was no middle ground on that. He didn't want to rush her, but at the same time, he really didn't want to spend any longer than necessary thinking things over. Either they continued, and they got more time to finish their battle, or they stopped here and both had more time to pursue whatever else their patrons had in store for them. "It's entirely your choice, I don't mind, either way." He had no clue that such a simple question could cause such anxiety in the girl, but it surely showed when she began looking to her patron for some kind of support to back whatever decision she made.

Eventually, she settled, and the squirrel could only sigh and nod. "I understand, and I cannot deny your logic. Another time, then.. I hope to see you soon." He wanted to offer his help - he could help, surely. They could practice new moves on each-other, they could experiment and other things.. but in the end, the squirrel could not teach the girl anything new, and neither could the girl teach anything to the squirrel. Sometimes, he hated being a Pycon. He was just.. different, from the other knights and squires. Two other Pycons were also in the Order, yes, and many more wandering around the city for one reason or another. He was limited to those few, though.

"For now, uhm, just leave the shield and spear near the exit. I'll make sure that Ser Iros gets them both again later." As for the squirrel, well.. he'd probably turn back to the rest of the grounds. He had half a mind to challenge one of the Weaponmasters to a fight, but they already knew that Arch was a squire, and would likely deny it. Still, there was no harm in trying. He needed to keep up with his usual regime of practice, no matter the usual petty squabbles.
Archailist

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Katelyn Marks on December 28th, 2014, 4:06 am

Due Rewards

“After nourishment, shelter and companionship, stories are the thing we need most in the world.”
― Philip Pullman

Archailist
Skills
  • Observation 4
  • Socialization 4
  • Tactics 2
  • Acrobatics 1
  • Planning 1
  • Running 1
Lores
  • Pyken: Invading an Opponent's Defenses
  • Imellion: A Squire
  • Imellion: A Shy Girl
  • Imellion: Has a Strange Name
Misc.

Shield Points: +1 for patron, +3 for training

Imellion
Skills
  • Observation 4
  • Socialization 4
  • Rhetoric 1
  • Spear 1
  • Shield 1
  • Tactics 1
  • Philosophy 1
Lores
  • Ser Iros: An Akalak
  • Ser Iros: Syliran Knight
  • Never Let Them See
  • Archailist: Squire
  • Archailist: A Squirrel
  • Spear: Proper Footwork
  • Spear: Proper Stance and Handling
Misc.

Shield Points: +1 for patron, +3 for training

If you have any concerns or questions about your rewards please feel free to send me a message. Also, please edit your original grade request and mark it as graded. Thank you and enjoy!
Katelyn Marks
Gingersnap

Words: 226535
Joined roleplay: September 16th, 2014, 10:58 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Previous