PM to join [Knirin Gardens]What a Wonderful Day for Music! [Gwin]

Shane hikes all the way up to the beautiful Knirin Gardens and hears a rare treat!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

[Knirin Gardens]What a Wonderful Day for Music! [Gwin]

Postby Shane Wallsly on November 1st, 2014, 8:30 pm

Timestamp: 52nd Day of Fall, 514 AV

The sun really never did stop shining. It filled Shane with a kind of light-hearted bliss. His days since arriving in the sunny city had been spent wandering among the whitewashed buildings of the city and talking to any locals he might meet. They were a nice people here in this paradise city named Riverfall. Today he had decided to visit a place that had been recommended to him the day before. The Knirin Gardens which stood at the very top of the city were a little slice of natural beauty all who had spoken about it had said was one of the greatest attractions in the city.

So Shane had set out at noon up the hill. He had to take regular breaks to catch his breath and a couple of times simply to speak to some nice person or to duck into a cafe and get a drink or a small snack. It really was such a nice place and the Akalak were such good people. Especially the ones with the intricate face tattoos. Those guys were the most helpful and friendly. Those of the 'Kuvay'Nas' were extremely grisly and unhelpful. He learned to avoid those ones. They were only ruining it for everyone else her in the friendliest, most beautiful city in all of Mizahar.

Thusly he climbed and by mid afternoon he had arrived. The rumours were true too. It was a beautiful garden. It was the most beautiful park he had ever seen. Riverfall was so alive with greenery. He couldn't believe how much nature was allowed here compared to Syliras. His birthplace was grey and made of stone with the only greenery to be found mould and the occasional green shot on the ground about to be trampled to be death by heavy foot and horse traffic. Here there were trees of different kinds and sizes, grass all around, hedges wherever they could be added and flowers of all colours and kinds everywhere. What a truly beautiful sight it was to behold. Shane had truly found something like paradise in this city!

OOCOkay, feel free to just introduce your character coming into the park or starting their song etcetra etcetra. I didn't want to meet you before you were actually here so I just sort put up the post about getting to the Knirin Gardens and you can introduce yourself into the thread. I thought that was best. Now don't approach Shane though. I just want you to start playing your song and I'll come to you, okay?
Group Threads: 1/3

ImageImageImage

Clerk at Mystic Eye Fortune Telling
Shane Wallsly
Success Is The Only Option

Words: 284445
Joined roleplay: September 30th, 2013, 9:10 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)

Postby Gwin on November 2nd, 2014, 3:05 pm

Having explored more exotic sides of the city during the current season, Gwin nevertheless returned to favorite spots. Lingering within the walls of a settlement included countless little variations of repetition. As a traveler, she had only realized what routine really meant once she allowed the city to swallow her whole. Her fascination with Riverfall had started, among other places, with the Knirin Gardens. Two years ago, it had shown a different face, of course, and had grown more colorful and alluring in the meantime.

The Akvatari had arrived by midday, claiming a place in the greenery when most retreated into restaurants or to their own table for a meal. Some, of course, had chosen the gardens for that. A tattooed Akalak and a human girl. Two Konti who looked like sisters but could also be mother and daughter.

With a flick of her turquoise butterfly wings, Gwin distanced herself from all of them and settled by the shore of the lake. Caressing it with her green gaze, she resisted the childish urge to shatter its perfect stillness with a stone or a flick of her own tail. Instead she sank into the cool grass near a small rock that jutted out of the ground. Once she’d unpacked her violin and, having tuned it, leaned back, the rock provided an excellent backrest.

For some time she merely stroked the strings absentmindedly, listening to the gentle trickle of water, the patterns of footsteps and melodies of muffled voices. She allowed the colors of autumn flowers and wilted remnants of summer to fill her to the brink and then bleed into her imagination.

The melody found her, then, like a single drop that penetrated the lake surface. The initial spark had fallen and the waves spreading from it were the limbs and impressions of that idea. Gwin lifted her instrument and began to pluck strings without hesitation. The melody seemed stumbling and fragile at first, but when her bow hit the strings, it grew stronger and carried farther over the water and grass.

The young pair looked up before continuing their conversation softly, not daring to raise their voices. Gwin didn’t look up. Instead she was rocking back and forth with half-closed eyes. The melody filled her and anchored her to the crisp cold earth. Finally she settled into the eye of a storm, the one that had haunted Riverfall for over fifty days. Where she sat, the melody stripped it down to a fresh breeze, nothing more.

Slowly, a smile bloomed on her features.

Song :
Gwin
Guerilla Minstrel

Words: 144602
Joined roleplay: February 25th, 2011, 2:12 pm
Race: Akvatari
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal

Postby Shane Wallsly on November 2nd, 2014, 5:22 pm

Shane's legs carried him along the pathways, through the grass, over rock as he leisurely toured the great gardens. He was always super careful not to tread on any of the plants or disturb the lush greenery as he did so. It was all so beautiful and perfect he could not imagine hurting it. He breezed by people of all kinds as he did so. Humans, konti, akalak and even a few of the more vibrant races. Riverfall was such a harmonious city that even the people seemed to come together. There was no hint of racism or foul thought. People just seemed to be together perfectly, happily at ease in their skins and in the skins of others no matter the creed or race. It was kind of poetically beautiful, Shane thought.

Some moments he cursed the very thought that he had spent so much of his life in Syliras. A land of heavy-handedness, racism and dreary old hardship. A land of sadness and cold. Sometimes he felt those years were so wasted and other times he remembered the reasons why he had lived back then. For his father, his mother and eventually his canine companion. The wound was too recent and he found himself plopped down on the grass by the lake. A frown fell over his face and his eyes pricked with tears. Norman was still gone; either dead or abandoned; and Shane would never again meet with his canine friend. Which was so much a shame for so many reasons of which the very beauty, the wide open spaces and natural environments that Norman would have loved of Riverfall had he made it here.

It was then, as he moped, that Shane heard the plucking of strings. He didn't really look up as he was intently staring at the glassy lake at this point but he did nod his head a little at the sounds. However very soon the plucking turned into a full out violin piece of such beauty he could not stop himself from looking up toward the sound. He found himself looking up to see a sight almost as strange and beautiful as the music. It was a girl of about five and a half feet or more but at the same time it wasn't a girl at all. At least not a girl human. At first glance she was a lithe and slender human girl with pretty blonde hair and curves in all the right places but then an enormous pair of beautiful butterfly-like wings sprouted out of her back and her shapely figure turned into a seal-like tail at the bottom of a green-ish algae like colour. Shane had no memory of ever seeing a being such as this but he was taken aback not by it's strangeness but by it's beauty for she was a beautiful woman all parts combined and even more beautiful, he found, was her extraordinary gift for music.

Shane rose from his seat and made his way over to her. However he was sure to keep his distance and remain unnoticed until her song had come to an end. He didn't want to interrupt her and, more than that, he wished to hear the full song to completion for it was something of a calibre, he felt, that he would hear only a select number of times in his life.

That was beautiful.” Shane said suddenly when she had finished. He stepped closer to her to be in her direct line of vision. “I haven't heard a song of such beauty in all my life. I'm sorry to flatter but the words are true. I was having a particularly hard time just now until I heard your song... Oh, where are my manners, my name is Shane Wallsly.” He smiled and offered his hand to shake. “If I might be so bold might I compensate you in some way for your music. A telent such as that does not deserve to go unrewarded.

ImageImageImage

Shane Wallsly

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Gwin on November 3rd, 2014, 9:51 pm

The way Gwin played was by no means perfect, although it came close, she thought. A few moments into the music she grew enthusiastic, fell right into the dynamic rhythm and rushed it a little. Realizing she was muddling up the notes, she blinked, and then everything fell back into place. Her fingers softened on the strings, caressing them out of gratitude.

The gentle melody carried her along. At times like these, she didn’t feel like the musician, but more like a puppet in the hands of something greater than she could ever comprehend. It was precisely for that reason that she had dedicated her life to music. It never bored her and never stopped challenging her limits.

Slowly, but surely, the melody was tied up, all ends tucked together like the bow for an exceptionally thoughtful present. Gwin arranged them with care and ensured her fingers were in the right places before she let go. The last notes rolled away over the water before everything was still.

Not for long though. Words cut through the crowning silence, painfully mundane, but fading into white noise quickly. She shook her head and sent blond locks flying in a futile attempt not to accept the compliment. Then something lit her curiosity. A change in mood? Aye, and why not feel a little proud at that? She nodded slowly, the start of a stiff bow that was left unfinished. “I’m Gwin.” In bowing, she ignored his hand or perhaps missed its meaning.

Then she tilted her head in confusion, one hand sliding across the violin’s body. “I need nothing. I merely play to delight myself and others. If that has been achieved, I’m happy.” Her mouth twisted, just briefly, at the unfamiliar word. “Where are you from, Shane? Would you like to hear another song?”
Gwin
Guerilla Minstrel

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal

Postby Shane Wallsly on November 8th, 2014, 3:42 am

She didn't take his hand but she gave her name and bowed. Shane viewed this as a greater respect in any case and lowered his hand without mentioning it. “Gwin, that's a beautiful name. A beautiful name and a beautiful song. What other beautiful things have you got stowed away in that mind of yours?” Shane asked playfully not even truly realising that he was engaged in unabashed flattery.

Well you managed to make me happy.” Shane decided not to press the compensation issue any more. She'd made herself clear. He would have to come up with some other way to compensate her. “I was just thinking about an old friend. I was filled with a kind of wistful sadness, you know? Your song brought me out of my stupour. It was quite good. Was it of your own composition?

I'm from Stormhold Citadel in the region of Syliras. Where are you from, Gwin? I don't mean to be rude but I've never saw someone like you before. Can I ask where your people come from?” Shane was hoping not to offend but his curiosity was something that often got the better of him. “I would love to hear another song. Do you have any songs from where you come from?

oocI'm sorry for the long wait and short reply. I had a personal loss this week so I lost my writing spirit a bit and now that I've finally gotten to replying this is all I can really muster. I hope I've left you with enough to reply to.

ImageImageImage

Shane Wallsly

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Gwin on December 1st, 2014, 4:53 pm

If Gwin felt flattered, she didn’t show it. With her face a blank slate, the Akvatari didn’t even bat an eyelash. Perhaps she simply couldn’t comprehend meaning hidden between the lines. Words weren’t her domain, after all. “Only music,” she replied evenly. Music didn’t belong to her, she felt, it carried a wild beauty like a forest in the morning or the roar of a waterfall.

The corners of her mouth twitched at his declaration. She played to express what needed to get out, first and foremost, but she also played to bring ideas like sadness and joy to others. If Shane was happy, that meant much more than clumsy flattery to her. It was obvious in the way her eyes lit up too. “Sometimes expressing the emotion is the best way of letting it go. I’m glad my song helped you with that. Yes, it’s something I came up with myself.”

Syliras. Gwin had never visited it, only heard rumors, as its large population and the crowded feel of a massive castle didn’t particularly appeal to her. Without the sea and sky, she’d wither like a flower deprived of the sun! As he continued to inquire about her and her race, Gwin lowered her gaze for a moment. Her grip on the violin tightened before two fingers plucked a thoughtful harmony from the strings. “Don’t be afraid to ask. I’ll tell you gladly as my people aren’t very well known. We’re Akvatari and we hail from Abura which is located on an island off the eastern coast. I cannot say where we come from though for we don’t know.” She shrugged lightly, letting it go for the moment. Instead she tilted her head and went through her repertoire. “There are many dedicated musicians among us, so we’ve many songs. I just remembered one that I’ve played in foreign lands quite often. It’s a good portrayal of what Akvatari music feels like. In return, however, you must tell me of Syliran music too.” Mischief flickered in her eyes as she graced him with a fleeting smile.

After a moment, she lifted her violin and bow again, dropping into the music with a mere flicker of turquoise stained-glass wings. This time the music began slowly and stalled at a gentle pace. Still, the melancholy and loneliness of a homeless people hung in the air and grew almost tangible as she continued.

Secret :

Her play was far from perfect and the emotion in each note felt a little flat, but her technique added beauty to the piece. Dragging out each note, she topped the longest off with a trembling vibrato that sounded like a cry of longing. The music rose and fell according to the melody – filling the park one moment, returning to the narrow space between them and expanding once again. All beautiful things ended, however, and so the Akvatari song faded away too.
Gwin
Guerilla Minstrel

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal

Postby Madeira Dusk on April 22nd, 2018, 11:07 pm

Grades Awarded!

Don't forget to edit/delete your grade request!

Shane Wallsly

Skills
  • Observation: 1xp
  • Socialization: 2xp
    *]Flirting: 1xp

Lores
  • Kuvay'Nas: best avoided
  • Riverfall: idyllic city
  • Lore of grief for Norman
  • Lore of Akavarti
  • People: Gwin the musician

Awards & Retribution

Notes

Gwin

Please contact me for your grade!
Madeira Dusk
long may she reign

Words: 1599220
Joined roleplay: October 11th, 2016, 7:45 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (3)
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) Lhavit Seasonal Challenge (1)
2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)