PM to join [S.W.I.] The Hiring

(Markus Andres) (Blackveil's Heart, part 1) The hiring into the investigation of Blackveil's heart - it begins!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Regime

[S.W.I.] The Hiring

Postby Fallon on December 7th, 2014, 4:08 pm

Image
5th Winter 514 AV

There was a low, drawn exhale as Fallon gathered her thoughts. Wood gave a groan, a faint creak as she leaned back in her chair. The house was kept warm enough, the fire place alight and the flames crackling in its hearth. But that was not where she was. The office doors were open, the rattle of windows when the wind blew and whistled past. Outside the snow was building up, the thin dusting of layers settling as she proceeded to - begrudgingly - work her way through the paper work. The Scarred Wolf Investigations was open for business, but even that had seemingly fallen silent with the winter winds upon the air. An advantage presently, it allowed her some momentary reflection upon the situations round her and what was to come.

That impending storm, the break unto a nightmare once more. It was something she had no choice but to face. She cursed at that, the bitter sweet sense of knowing that Sahova was to beckon her and be her torment for this winter. Zandelia knew, of course, it did not take long for the other woman to find out about it - she was grateful in some regards for that, she did not know how she would pass the news along otherwise. Her nostrils gave a flair, bare hands turning the letter round once more in her digits as she read it over once more with that niggling sense of wishing it was a hoax.

Salutions, Fallon Skylar,
    Bitzer
    Mistress Red Wolf of Sunberth,

This is an official contract from the Council of Five, of Sahova. We intend to employ you, and your gang, on a periodic basis. Negotiations are acceptable but are expected in person only. The nature of the mission is such that it would put you in danger to write down. It will be detailed in full, in person. A ship named The Harlot’s Virtue leaves Sunberth on the 12th of Winter at noon, take this missive and seal and you will be granted free passage. This ship will arrive on Sahova as its next destination.

You are expected to report to the Council no later than the 19th of Winter if you intend to accept this contract. Any later and refusal will be assumed.



The Council of Five,
Lector Qiao
Farke
Mizelio Takk
Aelobius
Wayza


Of course, she had no choice but to go. They knew her by name, be it the real or the business - a sign that she had attracted their attention somehow. She dared not think on how she managed to do that, but the fact remained the same. They knew of her existence, and so the eyes of Sahova were upon her. It was a niggling fear that made her obey their wishes, or at least show up . If she were to decline, she felt there would be some serious consequences and not only to herself. Her scars gave an angry itch, her throat constricting momentarily. Fallon forced a swallow, her eyes looking down to the wolf head that was nudging at her with curiosity. Her hand absentmindedly patted him, fingers gripping into his fur as she tried to calculate her thoughts.

It was the Lykata that buzzed next, a gentle glowing throb as she focused. Slow, careful, she plucked upon it thinking and slowly letting her free digits crinkle into the surface. An inhale of warmth, she sunk through those levels of her mind, body growing still as she pushed away the world for that of focus. A feeling, it crawled up and gripped firmly onto her. The sharpest inhale. Scritch. Scratch. Ink. Caressing touching. Grasping. A dozen hands refusing to let go. Scritch. Click. Intrusive. Smothering. Pul-

It was the thudding upon the front of the Quay door that pulled her attention away. With flinch she looked down onto Orvin, just noticing that her breaths had quickened. There was a look around the room, a firmer, harder thudding this time ensuring that there was indeed another presence at the front door. Blinking vividly, Fallon proceeded to push herself up, closing the letter upon the desk. It was only the yawn and those eyes that followed Fallon to the office door, before the wolf slunk off and took his position lazing beneath the window.

Steps thundered across the floor, a grasping of the door handle as she opened it to let a winter beaten man look upon her. Hair smothered in flakes, the shoulders having a dusting of the elements. He exhaled a plume of white, and looked upon her, "Bitzer Redwulf? The S.W.I. ?"
"Yes. That's... here? May I?"
"Got a job for you, now let me bloody well in."

Fallon only pulled back her lips into a smile, opening it proper and allowing the man in with a sweep of the hand, "Do come in, and make yourself comfortable," there was a clunk of the door as she cut out the cold, the guest now within and adjusting to the warmth of the house, "Mister...?"
"Duvil,"
he grunted, grooming his beard with a gloved hand, it was not long after that Fallon had lead him into the office proper, her eyes fixing and judging him. He looked well, by Sunberth standards. There was the wear and tear here and there, but he did not look like he was begging for scraps. With the man easing himself down into the opposite chair, it was Fallon who begun to work her way round. Pulling out her writing equipment, she smoothed out a sheet of parchment. With a click, she wet the quill nib and looked across the desk to him.

"So, how may I and my services assist you Mister Duvil?" she began, lips pulling back into the growing trademark wolfish smile. He twiddled his thumbs as he made himself comfortable, fumbling inside his coat for what was quickly revealed to be tobacco and a pipe. He gave her a questioning look to the pipe, looking to confirm that it was alright to use here before she gave a nod in response.
"I'm in need of your talents, of course. And maybe a mercenary or two," He sighed, looking at her, "I want you to investigate Blackveil's heart, find out who has it and get it to me, as its rightful owner. Course, those in your way are going to be difficult... but you're capable of bossing round a mercenary aren't you?"
"Quite... have you found someone who will be assisting me of yet?"
"Not yet."
"Then I will propose someone for you to consider, "
she smiled, moving and shifting to the office door before at last she shouted through the house, "Lion! I have a job for you! Get your arse down here."
Image
FALLON
Fallon | Coffee Codes | Skill Images

Fallon is a Master of Intimidation, "At this level, a Master intimidator often unconsciously intimidates their target unless the intimidator monitors their stance, tone, and actions to prevent this. Master intimidators will nearly always have a reputation that precedes them unless they have taken special care to prevent it."
User avatar
Fallon
The Red Wolf
 
Posts: 2114
Words: 2252959
Joined roleplay: January 21st, 2013, 4:24 pm
Location: Riverfall
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 9
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

[S.W.I.] The Hiring

Postby Markus Andres on December 8th, 2014, 12:42 am

Image
"Lion! I have a job for you! Get your arse down here."

Kvist stirred from his slumber by the ungentle words of his ex called for him. Arse? Someone should wash her mouth in soap. And spank her rear to teach discipline... Where's Web when you need 'er. He thought sourly as he pulled away the blanket, threw a leg over the edge of the bed and sat down for a few ticks. Trying to wake up. He felt as if he had not slept enough. But the light in the room told him it was late morning. Though Morwen's quick descent upon the city had meant Syna's warmth came only at a later point in the day. Still, he figured it was prior to noon. If noon or later, he wouldn't be this tired. It had been a late night the day before, mercenary work was chaotic in its timetables. Sometimes he got off early, other days he got home in the middle of the night or close to morning. At least the knights usually gave fair warning before such occurrences. S'Essy had not appreciated it. Nor had she appreciated the cold feet when he had climbed into bed. The empty place next to him told him that S'Essy had already left for work or was out swimming. He vaguely remembered her pecking him on the cheek before going, so she had at least forgiven

"Be right down." He called out as he got up from the bed. She had called him Lion, which was usually reserved for business with outsiders. Which meant he would have to get properly dressed. He allowed himself another tick or two of inactivity before he got up from the bed. Clothes discarded in the darkness of the night lay scattered around the room. Getting dressed took him a better part of two chimes before he found his leather jerkin and put that on. It had been unused since the Quay party some ten days earlier. There was two reasons to hurry. One, he didn't want to keep Fallon waiting, she had a way of getting uppity, two, it was markedly colder outside his warm bed. He finished by tightening his belt and made sure the Peacekeeper was secure upon his waist. He hoped the work was not immediate, but could wait until after he had had something to eat and drink. He rubbed his eyes as he left his room and passed by Pulren's to reach the stairs. Descending in a brisk pace to not keep the woman and whatever job she had for him waiting. He suspected she was not alone, or else she would have used a different name than the merc name she had given him. One he was rather fond of to be honest. Not that Fallon needed to know that much. He reached the door in short order and entered her office.

"Morning - you sought my arse?" He greeted with a pleasant and jovial smile. He shut the door behind him as he threw a glance at the people in the room. Fallon was in her typical appearance so he didn't bother noticing any details. Maybe later when they were alone, for now, he'd rather observe the client. See any information he could garner from his mannerisms alone. The pipe alone was a sign that this man wasn't strapped for cash. Anyone who had gold to spare for tobacco was better off than most Sunberthians. His clothing also looked to be in a decent state. The smoke wouldn't bother him, one did not grow up within Syliras' walls without learning to tolerate smoke, smog or whatever people exhaled. He extended a hand to the man. Kvist took a step over and a large hand patted the white manned wolf on the head and fingers scratched the wonderful pet behind the ear. "You had a job for me?" He calmly shifted his gaze from the man to Fallon.
.
Image
User avatar
Markus Andres
The OTK
 
Posts: 1223
Words: 1104556
Joined roleplay: September 14th, 2010, 7:43 pm
Location: Zeltiva/Sunberth
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1)

[S.W.I.] The Hiring

Postby Fallon on December 16th, 2014, 10:45 am

Image
There was grunting in response, a mumble of noise that suggested that the knight was stirring. Pulling back she flashed her teeth to Mister Duvil as sat the other side of the desk. With her paperwork ready, she laced her fingers, tapping and ready to take notes as need be as on the details of the task in question. When Markus did finally enter in, did Fallon begin if not for a small respectful nod to the other.

"Mister Duvil, meet Lion, though I am sure he will introduce himself with a preferred name if required. He is a very capable swordsman, and I would highly recommend him... that is, if you can afford him," There was a smile, her hands clasping together as she gave that scrutinizing look before she gestured for him to continue, "As you were saying...?"
"Right, right,"
he gave a brief furrowing of the brow to Markus, and then continued, "You sure we can...?"
"Oh very much so,"
She gave what could only be described as a disarming smile and let him come to his own conclusions. The man swallowed, and averted his eyes down.

"Few days ago, something of mine was taken. Blackveil's Heart," His voice fell into a low whisper, his gaze going back and forth between them, "'Course, I have a feeling I know who took it, but they have slick fingers and would sooner use it as leverage. Can't let 'em do that. Reputation is everything here. Even you know that one Bitzer." Fallon only nodded in response, understanding of the words as he continued, "So, got to keep it quiet, you know? Hence..." Both heads turned to look to Markus, the eyes looking him up and down once more as if looking for confirmation.

"He will be fine, and no doubt understand that you wish for this to be treated as delicately as possible," She dipped the quill into the ink, and drew out the dark ink onto the parchment. It was slowly and with focus that the client's name was written out, and the words that had been uttered. The scratching filled the space for the meanwhile, a gentle nod for him to continue, "So, find, locate and reclaim black what's been lost. Blackveil's heart right?"
"That's it,"
There was a slow, pulling puff that ever watchful gaze almost waiting to condemn them with judgements, "It's an... unusual piece." Fallon let her eyes flicker to Markus, and then back, "But I'm sure you and your... assistant will be able to find it."
"So, this is a investigation job, excellent."
"One that hopefully won't be too messy, if you get my meaning,"
Fallon gave only a smile back to the narrowed eyes, "Quick and quiet like."
There was as click of the quill onto the ink well, her brow turning into a furrow, "I have a question for you Mister Duvil; what exactly is Blackveil's heart?"

She could almost see the silence consume him, his lips pursing around the stem of his pipe as he formulated his answer. Duvil cleared his throat, and stilled his smoking, "Blackveil's heart... it's black, darker that the night itself and shines with an odd lustre..." He moved his hands so they were about ten inches apart, "It's about this long, smooth to the touch and feels so good in your hand to grip." There was a slow sigh, his gaze turning distant, "Feels just right, so-"

Fallon coughed, staring at him rather pointedly from beneath her brow. To say the imagination had gotten the better of her would be the correct statement, her lips having pursed into a line and her cheeks beginning to take on a red hue. She must have misinterpreted something she reasoned after a moment of paused thought, "So... Blackveil's heart is a weapon?"
"Oh... I guess so in the right hands,"
he sighed and looked at her, "But it's so much more than that."
Fallon flickered her gaze to Markus once more, and gently gave an incline of the head - looking almost for assistance with the man.
Image
FALLON
Fallon | Coffee Codes | Skill Images

Fallon is a Master of Intimidation, "At this level, a Master intimidator often unconsciously intimidates their target unless the intimidator monitors their stance, tone, and actions to prevent this. Master intimidators will nearly always have a reputation that precedes them unless they have taken special care to prevent it."
User avatar
Fallon
The Red Wolf
 
Posts: 2114
Words: 2252959
Joined roleplay: January 21st, 2013, 4:24 pm
Location: Riverfall
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 9
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

[S.W.I.] The Hiring

Postby Markus Andres on January 22nd, 2015, 4:31 pm

Image
Kvist was calm as Fallon described him as a very capable swordsman. Kvist raised a brow in response and then calm looked to Duvil to check his response to Fallon's statement. Kvist was quite large for most malnourished Sunberthians, so that alone gave him an edge against the rabble of the city. Perhaps that was a boon for Duvil or perhaps that made him stand out too much. Best to remain silent and let the two of them discuss their . Fallon was the owner of this business and Kvist was merely there for the gold - officially at least. Unofficially he was there to look into the shady life of Sunberth to find out where his family was located. To find out who knew about their location. So he kept his trap shut as Fallon and Duvil talked. Kvist's mind began to picture whatever this blackveil heart was - it did not take long before he had to stop himself. There was a smirk on his lips and eyes glinted with humour as the man continued to describe the item in question. if it was an item at all. Kvist raised a brow at the man and then glanced at Fallon. Who almost cracked the small amount of self control he had managed to hang on to, with her silent plea for assistance. He had not been alone in his way of thinking and the hue on his ex' cheeks told him that she was not yet entirely comfortable with this subject. Kvist nodded and forced his smile away as he looked back at the client.

"Sounds exotic... You said you had a feeling you know who has taken it?"

Get away from the previous subject, surely the two of them would be able to recognize something that just felt good in the hand. He wasn't as trained in the art of investigation as Fallon and Web were, but he knew interrogation and he knew that the subject of the Blackveil's heart would only end up having Fallon blushing madly - although he would enjoy seeing that - It would still be better to keep to business and see if the man was willing to reveal who he suspected was behind the thievery of his precious item.

"And can you think of any other reason, beyond leverage, that they might have taken it?" Kvist asked, a little curious. Hoping Fallon would snap out of it and take the lead again soon.
.
Image
User avatar
Markus Andres
The OTK
 
Posts: 1223
Words: 1104556
Joined roleplay: September 14th, 2010, 7:43 pm
Location: Zeltiva/Sunberth
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1)

[S.W.I.] The Hiring

Postby Fallon on January 25th, 2015, 2:31 pm

Image
Fallon eye-balled that childish smirk of what could only be dubbed as immaturity. She gave a chew upon her lip, squirming as the sense of discomfort took its toll on the exact subject on what Blackveil's Heart could be. The question was not exactly answered, but the implications where there - she concluded, with the way he spoke of its exotic lustre that it was a weapon of some form - a dagger, well crafted and well loved. She quietly noted that down in the corner of the page whilst she attempted to retain some form of composure. She exhaled, "Good... good..."

"Good?"
piped up Duvil.
"Yes, good. I am sure I can work this," her free hand gave a tap, her eyes coming down into narrow as she considered them, calculating and working through what she knew. She gave a nod to Markus' question, a swallow as she repeated it, "Yes. A lead you said, correct? Where should I start off with this? Need a direction, I can't exactly ask every sod in the street if they've heard of or seen it."
"Wouldn't expect you to either. Most would answer no regardless,"
he sucked upon his pipe, inhaling in the fumes and then relaxing, "There's a little git. Call him George round where I live. Can't help himself and just has to touch everything. Thing is, he kept eying up my place for a few days. Then suddenly it's gone, and he's locked himself up in his apartment at sunset. Won't come out even when I threatened to kick the door down."
"And motivations?"
"Like petch I know,"
He grumbled, arms folding defensively, "Wanted something shiny, wanted it for themselves. Wanted to make coin. I don't know. People of Sunberth shake with one hand and hold daggers with the other, can't ever tell what their reasoning is until it's too late - that is, unless you're pretty sharp."

There was further writing, the quill wiggling as she wrote out the name and the location down. Her free hand gestured for Duvil to continue, "George, what does he look like? He have another name?"
"Some people call him Hook, hands curl inwards like hooks you see. Really gnarly, scrawny hands too. Looks thin. Gaunt like, and greasy. One of his ears got a chunk cut out of it. You'll know him when you see him."
She gave a nod in understanding, "That enough to work with?"
"Is for me. I'll be sure to get back in contact with you should anything else crop up. I may need you to also verify the object in question once we've retrieved it. Now, payment. I generally ask for a half pay upfront for first time customers, then the other half paid up on completion of services. In this case, the retrieval of your singular good. Sound fair?"
"Fair indeed,"
He reached inside his coat, finger and thumb turning through the material to hook out the coins, "How many days do you think this'll take?"
"As long as it does,"
Fallon sighed, "I will be aiming to complete the task as quickly as possible though, and shall let you know of any results on the tenth of Winter and how I am progressing with the investigation," She stood as Duvil slapped a few golden Mizas down upon the desk surface, and offered her hand out to him, "Pleasure doing business Mister Duvil."
"Make sure to do your job now snoop,"
He shook it, firm grip before he showed himself out of the office and back into the cold of outside. For a moment Fallon was silent, peering back down at her notes and feeling the stiffening twinge within her right hand. Her lip gave a curl of discomfort, lips pursing into a line as she looked down upon handwriting that was noticeably untidy for her. A smear of black rested across the inside of her fingers, and she grimaced at it.

"So, Markus," She peered at him as she rubbed the digits together, "Up for doing some winter snooping? Might need you to act big and full of that male machismo you ooze. Maybe allow you to invoke some of that lovely justice you desire?" Fallon raised a brow at him, hand open in gesture, "Or do you just want to go back to your warm Konti?" Whistling she gave a click of her fingers to Orvin. He gave her a look, ears twitching, "Come on you, we're going out for a bit. Needs her fuzzy right hand. Come on. Up."
Image
FALLON
Fallon | Coffee Codes | Skill Images

Fallon is a Master of Intimidation, "At this level, a Master intimidator often unconsciously intimidates their target unless the intimidator monitors their stance, tone, and actions to prevent this. Master intimidators will nearly always have a reputation that precedes them unless they have taken special care to prevent it."
User avatar
Fallon
The Red Wolf
 
Posts: 2114
Words: 2252959
Joined roleplay: January 21st, 2013, 4:24 pm
Location: Riverfall
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 9
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

[S.W.I.] The Hiring

Postby Markus Andres on January 29th, 2015, 10:47 pm

Image
Kvist settled back against the wall and observed the employer as he answered Fallon's questions. A man named George, also known as Hook, was their prime suspect. The fact that Duvil knew this and had decided not to hire a couple of regular ruffians to carry out his threat, and actually kick in the door left Kvist puzzled. Was there more to Hook than he had let on? It would be a lot cheaper to do it that way than let Fallon and Kvist carry out their investigation. There was a lack of motivation though, Duvil had been ... enthusiastic in his description of the item, but now he couldn't explain why people might want to steal it? He didn't voice his concern, not with Duvil present and Fallon quickly turned the subject to something he cared very little about. Gold. He knew it was the pursuit of the golden coins that made people wake up in the morning in their endless pursuit of gold, but for himself the metal held no allure. He often wondered if the same was true for Fallon. She had never seemed greedy when they had been together, but then again, back then all her expenses had been covered by the knights.

The coins placed on the table. Fallon in her business mode responded and the client had a few last words to say before he turned to leave the business behind. Kvist looked after him as he left. A peculiar man. He shifted his balance and looked at Fallon when she addressed him. The pursed lips turned into a toothy grin when she mentioned S'Essy and the warm bed. He wouldn't mind getting another bell or two of rest, but work called for him.

"It does sound tempting. But since you so desperately need my oozing masculinity-" He let the sentence hang in the air unfinished as he shrugged. His eyes glanced to her notes. The grin vanishing as he thought back on the odd description of the item. "What in Sylir's name is blackveils heart? For right now I am thinking we are on a mission to retrieve a ... well... Nevermind." He asked as he checked his weapons for immediate departure. Perhaps the benevolent host would allow him a brief detour to the kitchen to grab some bread and water. But he would listen to Fallon's theories regarding this blackveil's heart. Kvist himself was blank for non-lewd ideas.

"So, what do I call you out there? Bitzer or Redwulf?" Kvist said as he made his way to the door that lead back in to the building. "And I haven't had breakfast yet, so give me a chime and I'll be right back." Kvist said as he moved to open the door and get himself something to eat and drink.
.
Image
User avatar
Markus Andres
The OTK
 
Posts: 1223
Words: 1104556
Joined roleplay: September 14th, 2010, 7:43 pm
Location: Zeltiva/Sunberth
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1)

[S.W.I.] The Hiring

Postby Fallon on January 31st, 2015, 4:31 pm

Image
Fallon rubbed her hand upon her sleeve cuffs, leaving a smear of black there as she focused upon what little she did know - and could almost hear the humming cords of thought coming from Markus, despite them being silent. The knight, quiet and trying to almost piece the puzzle together. There was some parts she had already discarded and put to rest herself, able to read some of the situation in a different manner. Why not use thugs? Because thugs were stupid and do not always show restraint, unpredictable and an outlet of chaos, and more often than not did not understand the methodology of tact that was needed in a more subtle investigation from an unfamiliar face.

Piling the coins upon in a tower, she looked at them with a furrowed brow, her finger circling around them before she inevitably knocked them over. This hook however was a different scenario all together, requiring a different level of tact. A name she did not recognise, an unknown that she needed to get to the bottom of as soon as possible. Once she had a level of understanding from there she could go outwards and find any other leads that may have helped her. Leaning back in her chair, she listened to the wood groan lips pursing as she considered, "I have absolutely no clue what Blackveil's heart is. Judging by size, length, description... I know it sounds like something inappropriate, but judging by the description... I'm thinking maybe a weapon? Small one, so thinking a dagger of some description," She exhaled, "A black bladed dagger. It's a bit unusual to say the least. Why have a dagger black? Stealth perhaps?" Fallon pushed the thought away and to one side, "Regardless, whatever it is has enough respect to be named or titled. Which leads me to wonder on the exact nature of it as well. Something close and important, that's all I can garner."

Bringing herself to stand, she gave Markus a nod, her gaze turning and focusing on him as he made his way to the door. It would give her time to prepare herself, she reasoned, don the armour, put on the supposed imposing presence, makes sure her usual sharp implements were attached to her, "Go on, get yourself sorted. We have time for the moment at least. I must get myself ready as well," she heard his question, and proceeded to answer him, "Bitzer, Redwulf, that little vagik of a leader of the Scars, whatever takes your fancy," she laced her fingers together, her brow creasing into a line, "Just not Fallon, Skylar or a combination of the two. Anyway, when you are ready Lion."

Fallon pressed past him, footsteps leading her up the stairs to her own quarters the quiet pottering about as she gathered what she would need for the venture outdoors. Warm layers, were the priority in this, the red coat being pulled on quickly and buttoned up, the armour following suit. Worn leather buckles were pulled into place, the tracing finger tips across the studs, and then moving on. Sucking in she forced the steeled face of the Bitzer persona up, the clinking of steel as she strapped the blades into place, then the gauntlets over her hands and then, finally the cloak - a growing trademark sight. Clicking, she forced the steps into movement, returning back down to the ground floor. And it was there she waited until they were ready to make a move to the destination - The Sunset Quarters.

The Sunset Quarters was merely a stone's throw away, something she was grateful for as she entered the cold air of the outside world and left Orvin to guard the Quay. She was not about to leave it completely defenceless just yet - more so with the Konti there. She hugged the cloak in around her, snow crunching beneath her feet as they filtered into the streets. The next would be finding out where this George lived, and she was not about to start asking anyone - no, she needed to pick out the right people, or in this case children. Easy to please with a flash of a silver piece she found out quickly. First however was the case of finding the right child to milk for information.
Image
FALLON
Fallon | Coffee Codes | Skill Images

Fallon is a Master of Intimidation, "At this level, a Master intimidator often unconsciously intimidates their target unless the intimidator monitors their stance, tone, and actions to prevent this. Master intimidators will nearly always have a reputation that precedes them unless they have taken special care to prevent it."
User avatar
Fallon
The Red Wolf
 
Posts: 2114
Words: 2252959
Joined roleplay: January 21st, 2013, 4:24 pm
Location: Riverfall
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 9
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

[S.W.I.] The Hiring

Postby Markus Andres on February 6th, 2015, 3:16 pm

Image
Kvist eyed the stacked pile of gold coins that Fallon had built as he spoke and inevitably she knocked it over - once again the question of whether she was infatuated with the coins lingered in his mind. Though he brushed it aside as he focused on the job at hand once more. He could contemplate Fallon's greed at a later point. After he had managed to grab some breakfast and properly wake up. She knew little more than he did and her idea of the heart being a weapon didn't bring forth any ground breaking new theories he could ponder, so he left the matter alone. They would just have to be on the look out for a black smooth object of about ten inches long.

Kvist drew a smile from her liberal use of the word vagik and one the leader was no doubt familiar with on her travels through the city. No doubt she had heard herself be called a vagik plenty of times by the eloquent inhabitants of Sunberth. She pressed by him, impatient enough to not let him leave the room first and Kvist looked about before realizing this was the first time he had ever been in her office alone. Alone apart from the cute wolf-dog who looked at Kvist. With a smile to the dog he turned and left the place for the kitchen. Seeking out anything edible that might stave off his hunger for another couple of bells. He would also need a couple of chimes to get properly dressed. As he bit down on the bread with a piece of cheese on it he weighed the argument of bringing his shield. If they got in a fight he would be better off having it, but anyone carrying a shield the size of his would be a clear warning that he expected a fight. Best to leave it behind and rely on his sword and dagger. Besides he had yet to meet anyone who could best him in a sword fight, at least in Sunberth - it was only crossbowmen who would be a problem if he left behind his shield. As he swallowed the last piece of bread he made it upstairs and began to put on his own work gear. The lighter parts at least. He didn't want to wear the heavier breastplate if he wasn't certain there would be a fight. Besides, the chainmail alone would suffice against most of these dimwits. He secured the belt with his pair of blades attached. Found his cloak, worn in many places and with some tears here and there. He was in need of a replacement soon. Before he turned to leave the warm room he kissed the lone Konti in the room and with a whisper he was off to find this mystical object.

"So, what's the plan?" He had spent much time in the city as a mercenary, but it seemed that Web and Wolf had their own way of working the city. Often times he had his qualms with it considering his knightly heritage and the questions whether it was righteous or not bothered him. But theft was theft and they needed to retrieve the object for the rightful owner. Hopefully the two would get it back without being jumped by the rabble of the city. He pulled the cloak a little tighter and stepped in beside Fallon. Let her lead the investigation, she knew the city far better than he and she was, as far as he knew, a better investigator than him. Knew the subtle hints of the inhabitants that Kvist didn't notice.

Should be interesting to see her work. He mused to himself as the snow crunched. As they made their way to wherever.


.
Image
User avatar
Markus Andres
The OTK
 
Posts: 1223
Words: 1104556
Joined roleplay: September 14th, 2010, 7:43 pm
Location: Zeltiva/Sunberth
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1)

[S.W.I.] The Hiring

Postby Fallon on February 8th, 2015, 1:46 pm

Image
The Sunset Quarters was as it usually was, quiet in comparison to the rest of the city. There were the few lurkers here and there, the residence grumbling as they crunched through the snow and largely minded their own business. There was the occasional gleeful shout of children from the street over, the throwing of snow and shrieks as the cold sunk against them. For the most part however Fallon kept her gaze forward, the knight following behind cloaked against the cold and ready for whatever came. In honesty she was not expecting any trouble, or at least none she could not handle herself. But an extra set of eyes and ears and a truly larger presence was always useful in encouraging one to speak - or stand in the gap of a door way to block the exit.

Trudging past an alleyway mouth, she paused as she gave a lean back, her eyes looking to some of the Sunberth children play fight with each other - presently in the form of sticks and their idle bashing against each other. It was amusing in some regards to watch the haphazard swinging and learning on combat, the other side it left the sting of worry and made her wonder on how much childhood they had left. Sooner or later they would no doubt be swept up into one of the gangs and put use if they showed any prowess with beating their partners. She hovered there for a moment at the entrance, before letting out a low whistle. The trio of heads gave a turn to her, surprised that someone was approaching them.

"Alright lads?" she spoke in the low, rougher tones of Bitzer, her eyes flickering between them as they halted their play, "Winter treating you alright?"
"Who's you?"
A snotty sounding one spoke up, looking at her over the edge of a slightly large coat, "We dun't want no trouble. Go away."
"Red Wolf,"
She responded without missing a beat. She could watch the children almost flinch, not quite sure what to make of such a name. It was not one that was idly thrown about, she knew that as she let her gaze rest upon them and their bodies seemed to squirm, "Now... I was wondering if you could help me."
"Why, you're a wolf you're gonna make us fight aren't you?"
"No,"
Fallon sighed, "I don't make people fight, especially children. I'm looking for someone from around here, wondering if you young lands would like to make some of your time worthy." Her hand dipped into the inside of her coat, and her fingers summoned forth a silver Miza. Flashing it briefly she caught their attention, their eyes gluing to it as she curled it around into her palm once more. Straightening she raised an eyebrow at them, and let her lips turn upwards.

"You have our attention," Another one spoke up, pushing forward between the taller two and looking at her and holding his hand forward in gesture, "What you need lady wolf?"
"I'm looking for someone. George Hook,"
She held her hand back from them, "Business proposition-"
"Eh, Uncle George ain't come out of his room for days,"
the snotty nosed mumbled, "Said he made some friend of his mad. Not gonna hurt hi' are you?"
"Nah lady, least not unless he takes a swing at me that is,"
She flashed a smile, hand slowly giving, "So, you think you could lead me and my associate to his place?"
"Who's he then?"
"This? I call him Lion."
She could watch the children look him up and down then, showing no obvious fear as they scooted ever closer to the adults, this time however their gaze was upon Markus as if weighing him up.

"He dun't look like much of a lion," said one of them as they let the stick give a testing tap against his shins, "Looks really big though."
"He does roar like a lion,"
Fallon assured them with a nod, "So, think you can help lead us there?"
"I thought cats and dogs didn't get o-"
"Lads,"
She cleared her throat, "Can you take us?"
They seemed to pause and consider for a moment, almost as if working out if they could or not. She flashed the silver again, and drew their attention back, "Sure, but you got to promise us Red Wolf that you won't hurt 'im."
"I won't,"
Fallon gave an incline of the head, "You have my word."
"Alright then, come on this way!"


Following after the children at a slower pace, she gestured for Markus to follow down the alleyway and into the next street over. From there they lead her deeper into the quarter and towards the apartments. It was outside that the children stopped and looked at her expectantly, "He's on the second floor, first on the right. Now."
"Deal is complete,"
she passed them a silver each, and shooed them away. It was only once they were out of ear shot that Fallon turned her gaze up to Markus, "I want you to break the door down and... discourage him. Gently though, don't want to wake up the entire block. Go on now, I'll be right behind you."
Image
FALLON
Fallon | Coffee Codes | Skill Images

Fallon is a Master of Intimidation, "At this level, a Master intimidator often unconsciously intimidates their target unless the intimidator monitors their stance, tone, and actions to prevent this. Master intimidators will nearly always have a reputation that precedes them unless they have taken special care to prevent it."
User avatar
Fallon
The Red Wolf
 
Posts: 2114
Words: 2252959
Joined roleplay: January 21st, 2013, 4:24 pm
Location: Riverfall
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 9
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

[S.W.I.] The Hiring

Postby Markus Andres on February 24th, 2015, 11:04 am

Image
The Sunset Quarters ~ Of course Kvist knew the place, been there quite a few times in the past couple of seasons. The name of the part of the city felt mostly as an affront to Syna. He felt nothing in the city could be named after the splendour of the gods and goddesses, but these people barely knew of human decency, so how was he to expect them to show any tact or respect when dealing with the divine. He trudged along next to Fallon, she knew where they were going far better than he. Seemed that the cold had made the common thugs stay in doors for Kvist heard the distant glee of children enjoying the snow, which made him pleased about the city for once. Joyful kids - perhaps the city wasn't entirely devoid of Priskil. Even with the hint of a smile on his lips, his eyes switched from person to person. Suspicious despite the distant joyful children. But he knew from experience that the children in Sunberth were not as innocent as one would think, often they had ties to gangs and thugs or were being downright exploited by elders for their services. Kvist suspected that Fallon and Web both also used children in their daily affairs.

A suspicion that was confirmed not much later as Fallon and Kvist reached several children who were engaged in the time proven game of stick fighting. In Syliras they were at the age where Kvist himself could have taken them in for military training with the knights. Though watching their untrained whacking against one another was rather amusing. A little pain went a long way to teach someone to properly guard themselves. It had worked with Kvist. The wolf whistled and Kvist assumed a position and looked at the kids. No doubt that Fallon used children now, but as information sources he had no qualms. Kvist paid little attention to the details of their conversation as Fallon brokered a deal. He noticed when the coin came into play and the difference in the attention she got from the children. Gold - or silver in this case - always made things easier in this city. Perhaps also true for Syliras, but he hoped it had far less pull back home than here.

They spoke of him. Lion was mentioned and Kvist looked at the kids. No fear present, which he liked. No reason for the kids to fear him at all. Fallon got her information and made a promise not to hurt George. He did notice the particular promise was not aimed at them both, or rather, Fallon didn't include him in her promise. Which meant he could still hurt the man. But at the three children, he didn't want to break her promise regardless. He nodded in agreement to her promise. The children led the three into the alleyway and verbally directed them the last bit of the way. Once paid and out of sight and earshot, Fallon turned to him. Break down the door and discourage him. Seemed easy enough.

"I'll see if I can break down a door silently." He said softly as he looked around.

Kvist made his way up the stairs, carefully though, the stairs in the city were not always the safest and some were quite rotten. Smaller creatures than him could safely navigate the many stairs, but Kvist was a heavy set man and the armour didn't make him any lighter. In front of the door he paused again. He checked the door frame. Didn't try the handle yet, didn't want to alert George inside. He noticed some wear and tear on the frame and door. Perhaps their employer who had tried to gain entrance. It was undoubtedly locked - but he was wondering if he could tear the lock open with his brute strength. He took a deep breath as he focused inwards. He didn't want to alert the man inside, so he best ensure he made it through in the first try. Which meant augmenting his normal strength with magic. He held out a hand to tell Fallon to stand back. A deep breath as he felt the magic move at his bidding. The energy swirled naturally around his system and he focused and beckoned it down into his larger thighs. He felt the power flourish and he put a hand on the handle to secure his footing. Left shoulder a little away from the door as he with a sharp exhale extended both legs and slammed his shoulder into where he believed the lock was on the other side. There was a crack as he forced open the door enough to peek inside. He had guessed correctly. It was one of those sliding locks, but further down he saw what had been another simpler lock which now lay on the floor torn both from frame and door. Kvist didn't bother with examining the situation before another forceful push tore the last lock off the door and it was open. He swung it wide open and peeked inside. There was a man who peeked back from his bed. Both stared at one another for a brief moment before Kvist exploded into action. The remaining magic propelling him forward at an astonishing speed for a man his size.

"Calm down!" He ordered sharply. "George! We're not here to harm you." Kvist said as he reached out to seize the man before he could arm himself - or jump through a window. Whatever fancied the man. Kvist wasn't in the mood for a snowy chase through the streets of Sunberth.


.
Image
User avatar
Markus Andres
The OTK
 
Posts: 1223
Words: 1104556
Joined roleplay: September 14th, 2010, 7:43 pm
Location: Zeltiva/Sunberth
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1)

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests